[Drama 2018] My ID is Gangnam Beauty, 내 ID는 강남미인

0ly40

I don't know exactly how I got here, but I want to add something.

1 hour ago, CamelKnight said:

I live in the Netherlands, Europe. We have 17 million inhabitants, total. Is that small enough for you?

I can confirm that the Netherlands are really very, very, very, very, very, VERY small.

1 hour ago, CamelKnight said:

n my opinion, which is far from professional, women in South Korea tend to go for PS because of insecurity and other psychological problems. So far, going to a psychiatrist or a psychologists, is still a big taboo in South Korea. People who struggle with bullies and insecurities, try to fix the outside so they don't feel bad about the inside anymore. In my, again not professional, opinion, that's the wrong way around though. Fix the inside, and it will leak through to the outside. Feel good about yourself and people will notice.

In Europe, it's much more common and much easier to visit a psychologist. I've been on several sessions myself, trying to deal with my inner demons. I even got a doctors referral and as it's in my health insurance, the costs are low too (even non existent, sometimes). We try to fix the problem, instead of trying to hide it which seems to be what a lot of women in South Korea are trying to do.

I want to disagree and agree with you at the same time.

First, yes, PS is very unusual in Europe, but I think the problem lies somewhere else. SK society is way more focussed on beauty and more superficial things. Beauty is a very important factor in SK, that's why the beauty industry is so much more advanced and bigger in korea. Also a reason why I use but, but that's another topic. Beauty is something that resembles your status and wealth in Korea.

Europe doesn't work like that, our society is different. 

I wouldn't say the insecurity and psychological problems are the core of the issue, rather the public pressure of being beautiful and pretending to be perfect. In Germany we have laws against that. 

I don't know how you neighbors deal with it, but yes, visiting the psychologist is easier in Europe, but in Germany it still hasn't the best reputation. It got better over the last years, but it is still far from being accepted. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH, I don't care if someone had PS. PS is for the patient who got it and if someone is offended then they don't need to look at the person. 

I love this drama because of the topic that  is right in front of us all that we just can not see because of how Society can be cruel to one unfortunate person. I think this drama is about Beauty on the inside and the outside. It is also about Confidence and Self esteem that our youth struggle with and will keep on struggling though out their lives.  I have chosen to read the web toon because we get to learn more about the character in the drama. 

@Mau_Cherry  @CamelKnight  @Berou   I applaud all your opinions and understand them. I feel the same way and wished people would care more about the person and not what they look like. 

I can´t believe I read the webtoon last night... Okay - my question - is there more to read than 57 chapter in another languages? Or is this how far the webtoon is until now...?

There are a lot scenes in my head now I can´t wait to see in the Drama!

31 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

I can´t believe I read the webtoon last night... Okay - my question - is there more to read than 57 chapter in another languages? Or is this how far the webtoon is until now...?

There's 80 chapter including the special chapter eonnie. 

Looks like the writer took a part in writing the script.

Hello, i will also join here!

Love the first two episodes! I really enjoy reading your posts about plastic surgery, it's very interesting. In my country it's not that common but people spend a fortune on other things to improve your beauty. I always find the lookism aspect so different from my culture, but i think it exists here too, just in a different form and less open. 

Straying away from the subject a little, I really like the guy lead! He is so refreshing for some reason. I mean his role is so common, but maybe because i didn't see that actor before I feel like it's something new haha. Kind of like Jang Ki-yong, he has a monotone low voice that i love haha

I like the actress as well. I think she portrays Mi Rae's insecure personality very well, navigating friendships is not easy. I'm happy the guy sees through that foxy friend, she is just so two faced.

Been replaying the 5-minute previews, i look forward to the scene where they have lunch together :D haha

1 hour ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Omo! I barely read the webtoon. After all you just said, now I gotta find time and read it. :lol:

1 hour ago, ruzikie said:

That's great that the writer participate in writing the script, so we get it going the direction the webtoon is.

I am exciting waiting for Friday to come, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up high. :lol:

2 hours ago, ruzikie said:

Any chance to read them - or better say in my case to look at the pictures... if you have a link please write me a pm. Not sure if that is allow to post here....

And is the story finnished? Or is it still ongoing?

Sorry for all that questions - I am all in now!

1 minute ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Any chance to read them - or better say in my case to look at the pictures... if you have a link please write me a pm. Not sure if that is allow to post here....

And is the story finnished? Or is it still ongoing?

Sorry for all that questions - I am all in now!

The story is finished... but you can only read it in indonesian.

@Mau_Cherry @bebebisous33 yes eonnie deul, it's in Indonesia and i have read it all the chapter last month after they announced the schedule of this drama. 

Looks like they made the Kyung Sook's mother would be the reason why Mirae didn't do suicide in Han River. It's different from the webtoon thou but it's okay. Seems like they will entangle much than anyone else.

3 minutes ago, ruzikie said:

@Mau_Cherry @bebebisous33 yes eonnie deul, it's in Indonesia and i have read it all the chapter last month after they announced the schedule of this drama. 

Looks like they made the Kyung Sook's mother would be the reason why Mirae didn't do suicide in Han River. It's different from the webtoon thou but it's okay. Seems like they will entangle much than anyone else.

You are so lucky... I can not understand it!!:cold_sweat:

I am fine with the little changes. It is interesting that in the drama KMR's family is more involved.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:08 PM, CamelKnight said:

In my opinion, which is far from professional, women in South Korea tend to go for PS because of insecurity and other psychological problems.

Yes, As you said, you comment based on opinion and what you see in the media.

First off all , plastic surgery is not a colture it's an govrement decision to rise the economy, people around the world also from europe come to make their PS there because they known as most advertise(

SK are not dumb as you think to do things just because of social pressior, the way you look at things is very narrow to my opinion, what you read on the media often have deep interest to promote other countries industries and prevent SK to be on top, most of the artical you read have interest and a hiden motive

The comprestion i made to other countries is because i want you to see that what you think it's different is not so much different, and again it's more connected to high political forces, the drama you see is also an advertising promoting SK...you can't see the real authentic SK culture and what they going trough because it's full with political and motives,

The way i see it and i know also doctors- the beauty industry is full for pointment even for man all around the globe and even a small  clinic has a lot of work, if it's not PS it's botox and cosmetic surgery ( by the way because you don't  it's seem you think it's so different but in fact it's just another way to change you face by injections)

Your family not present all europe families and not everyone open and say: i made a PS or a botox, even celeb hide it often..it's not something you want to show off

about the Psychologist it's no help, psychologic not helping people who look realy bad if they have ugly face socity will bully them or prevent them to be peaceful,  as i said of you are not in this situation you can not understand, BTW most psychologyc don't help at all there is no research that prove it will work, some people even say it's just a nother way to make money,,,no one knows, but this is for sure- if  a woman or a man look ugly it would not help in a milion years.

Here youtube about Psychologist

When you look at a statistic USA is on the top for PS and after it Brazil and SK only in 3 place SO this is from 2016 here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/293356/leading-countries-by-total-number-of-cosmetic-procedures/

even so, i can tell you this statistic probably had change and SK not in the first place

About the PS ads posters you see on the trains ...and people after PS, most of them in Seoul, so you taking about Seoul it's small place . BTW most of the drama you see is placed in Seoul ...so it's like  you see just New york and not the other countries that totaly different. the point is that what you see most of the time in the media focus on Seoul.

To my opinion and knowelage SK isn't so different from other countries in that esspect of beauty, it's different in the laws of women and man (and also very conservatice in other laws) , so the real issue here it's not PS at all..

For me the webtoon have more depth to it's than PS, it's about women status in SK , the PS is just a tool to use for this idea

and i don't think you will see that in the Drama because they again want you to focus on the PS idea and how the man save the woman...again and again. that's not part of the webtoon at all.

Cheers.

27 minutes ago, JAN said:

Yes, As you said, you comment based on opinion and what you see in the media.

For me the webtoon have more depth to it's than PS, it's about women status in SK , the PS is just a tool to use for this idea

and i don't think you will see that in the Drama because they again want you to focus on the PS idea and how the man save the woman...again and again. that's not part of the webtoon at all.

Cheers.

Then with this statement, you confirm what I wrote earlier: 

This drama is not just about plastic surgery but much more about the hypocrisy of the society, the "patriarchal and misogynic" mentality,  the inequity between men and women in SK.

2 hours ago, ruzikie said:

Done! And I guess i got the importend parts...

So I can say until now I really like the changes they made... friend and family from Mi Rae. And I am really excited now even more to see the Drama.

Just one point - i wish for a change...

Spoiler

come on - a kiss just in the last part of the special chapters??? So cruel!

9 hours ago, ruzikie said:

8 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Done! And I guess i got the importend parts...

So I can say until now I really like the changes they made... friend and family from Mi Rae. And I am really excited now even more to see the Drama.

Just one point - i wish for a change...

Reveal hidden contents

come on - a kiss just in the last part of the special chapters??? So cruel!

Oh! Oh! Now really gotta go and translate the Indonesia one and see what's going to happen.

I hope in the drama there will be more romance. Please!

Archived