[Drama 2018] Life on Mars, 라이프 온 마스

larus

Ahh memories..memories. It's such a complex subject. I did as part of a graduate course I did a thesis and whole study on memories, specifically early childhood memories. We did a research at a university and had a huge random pool of subjects. The study was basically to find out how memory works. We wanted to see at what age specially is our earlier memory, how much of our memory (especially of that which we are young, research show that our memories memories are from the age 3-4, best at 5 and up. Anything before that well it's complicated to say the least) is OUR memory and how much is influence by things seen (maybe you were shown a picture, a home movie, etc), things heard, things told to us, and our own emotional states at the time (it can not be said enough how ones emotions hugely influences memory and can conjure false memories which to the person is very true/factual), and also how memory can so easily be manipulated (by our own forces and outside ones as well). You may have seen/remember something, but someone else say/remember this, then suddenly your story begins to change to match their own. 

Our research findings were interesting but pretty much what had been known about memory (concert memory isn't formed until the age of 5 and above. Before then much of it is family stories told to you. Pictures you were shown. Talks you've had with friends and family, etc). Things were really informative and interesting when we would ask the pool to tell us their memories, write their memories, then given a break (bout 5 minutes delay time) without probe write it again, then with probe tell and with again, and then probe and delay, write it yet again. Funny enough the stories or memories would almost always change with each telling and writing. Once probed (we had a specific list of questions related to what was seen, heard, smelled, felt. If the memory had ever been told to them? If they were shown pictures or movies related to the memory, etc) details changed and when questioned, people now saw, heard, tasted, etc something that initially never was in the memory (many memories changed upon reactions of us testers -done on purpose-). Basically memory cannot be trusted of adults or children (that's why eye witness statements at time are not admissible in court. So many thing conjured, so much bias, so much influence of fear, television reports, etc) hell sometimes memory isn't even a memory.

As far as this drama goes, I don't trust anything young or adult Tae Joon knows or thinks he knows. The drama has shown that many times (as a adult and perhaps a child) the man jumps to conclusions, is biased in his analysis, and at times misses key details because he's looking at the trees and missing the forest and vice versa. I think that's why he's in whatever he's in now. I believe he's in a coma of sorts and his mind/subconscious is trying to workout the childhood trauma that has guided his adult life and also the way he handles many a investigations (I'm wondering if child Tae Joon, once unknowingly falsely accused his father of some horrible crime and cops of the time -and we've seen how little they can at time care about evidence and solid proof of guilt or innocence- went along with it and he turned his shady father into a murder and all of that may have to do with his death and whatever he accused dad of is tied to the 2018 murders he is so desperate to find the sold proof of). I think his subconscious is trying to find the "truth" of the matter of '88 (and knowing of the infamous serial killing that happened in Korea at the time and the many movies about that subject, did he turn his father into a serial killer by acquisition alone?) and his childhood of running scared into the tunnel. Whatever Tae Joon thinks he know/remembers, he knows nothing at all. I don't trust child him or adult him and the things they "remember". I don't even trust this current world of somewhat purgatory he's in. Yes, I think he's in some LOST kind of purgatory where his own subconscious is battling in-between state of life and death and judgement on his life (mainly his childhood and father). Once Tae Joon has come to some conclusion (I truth, a new knowing) he'll either wake up in some hospital bed in 2018 or pay the toll that St. Peter deems. 

What I'm interested in, is who shot him that night in 2018 and continued to run over him with a car. I have a feeling the culprits was a cop or detective and obviously in cahoots with the nail polish dude (that killer is doing the most. Dude could have simply gone to cosmetology school and then be able to do all the hair, nails, and make he pleases, while getting paid too. Choices...why be a murder when you can be paid to live for passion and none has to do) or he's the original killer of whatever young Tae Joon accused someone else of doing. 

ETA: I adore how the drama is revisiting/reimagine real true historical crime events of Korean history. The young delivery girls serial killer (though, I don't think that was ever solved) and the events of ep 7 are things that shook Korean society and brought about the systematic changes 2018 Tae Joon (and citizens) get to enjoy. 

ETA 2: Nam Sik is a puppy that must be protected at all costs. I adore him and Na Yeong aka queen Yoon so much. In these type dramas the cute eager to learn puppy makanes always die. Please show, don't kill him. 

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

I think he's in some LOST kind of purgatory where his own subconscious is battling in-between state of life and death and judgement on his life (mainly his childhood and father). Once Tae Joon has come to some conclusion (I truth, a new knowing) he'll either wake up in some hospital bed in 2018 or pay the toll that St. Peter deems. 

What I'm interested in, is who shot him that night in 2018 and continued to run over him with a car. I have a feeling the culprits was a cop or detective and obviously in cahoots with the nail polish dude 

Thank you for the memories explanation!  Interesting that you see TaeJoo suspended in a purgatory state fighting for his life. :)  

What do you think of adult TJ running after little TJ in the preview?  What will adult TJ do when is faced against his dad?  If he arrests him, it means it can possibly change little TJ and his future.  If he doesn’t, someone will get hurt.

2 hours ago, maddymappo said:

His father's personality was very unlike the person he became.   So I think he did try to be different than his father. 

I agree.  A boy’s natural reactions when discovering that his father doing something unsavory could be shock, fear and a mix of denial and sadness.  I don’t know how much little TJ understood of what he saw.  Episode 8 will tell us hopefully.  I can see why he would grow up trying to dissociate himself from the person that his dad appeared to be that day.  He’s literally saying I am not Darth Vader’s son by choosing to be a cop.  Adult TJ is all about evidence, concrete proofs, facts to correct for a childhood that were blurry, confusing and doubtful to him.  I think he is attracted to solving cases for a living since his own life is full of questions.

For me it was the developing collegiality and friendship between DC and TJ that really came to the fore in Episode 7. Last week we saw TJ opening up to NY in significant ways (to the point of emboldening her to ask him out) and this week, TJ responds to DC's boisterous overtures of kindness hidden under a gruff bluster. I thought it was really sweet of him to try and cheer TJ up at the "company dinner". There are definite cracks in TJ's armour in 1988 even if half the time he looks like a man who is bearing the heavy burden of the world on his shoulders. Who can blame him? With memories of his father possibly connected with a heinous crime surfacing and his own mortality on the line, he is a troubled soul indeed.

The neighbourhood hostage situation obviously had the usual things to say about the miscarriages of justice perpetuated by the SK judicial system... the discrepancies in how sentences are meted out and the inequities that are endemic. The desperation of the young escapees was understandable but I had to agree with DC... why take an innocent family hostage when the escapees would have been better served if they had wanted to be heard loudly and clearly... by going directly for a high profile government official. A woman with a child in a suburban neighbourhood were soft targets and ultimately holding them captive did nothing for their cause. They were individuals to be pitied certainly but in the end the tragedy that ensued did not make them martyrs in the eyes of a jittery public. Instead they were merely public nuisances disturbing the peace as seen in the comments by the two patrons in the pub. The sound and fury in the end signified nothing. The denunciation was lost amidst threats of violence, gunfire and bloody suicides. Instead the authorities became the heroes for restoring public peace.

In all of that chaos and angst, the show still manages to inject a bit of levity into a volatile situation. There's a moment in the storyline where our main trio TJ, DC and NY are cuffed together after being caught by the hostage-takers. Their attempts to break free elicits a chuckle or two and I'm sure all who root for TJ and NY's blossoming relationship appreciated any kind of rationale for a bit of up close and personal. I have little doubt that NY got a bit of a kick out of it. :D

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 6.23.41 pm

See the faint expression of pleasure on our Officer Yoon's face:

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 6.24.04 pm

While I'm certain that Dad harbours shady secrets and is involved in some kind of criminal activity, I'm far less convinced that he's the "manicure" serial killer. Of course any one is capable of killing another human being if given the right opportunities or trigger but his physical profile doesn't fit that of the OCD, nail-polishing, strangler of women.

As I've said, over and over again. I adore the details in this show especially in the way technology is placed. My latest favourite thing is this dial-operated top loading washing machine. A lovely bit of nostalgia. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 6.28.55 pm

All in all a better than decent adaptation of one of my favourite episodes from the BBC series. It broadly follows the template but manages to maintain its own local flavour.

56 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Their attempts to break free elicits a chuckle or two and I'm sure all who root for TJ and NY's blossoming relationship appreciated any kind of rationale for a bit of up close and personal. I have little doubt that NY got a bit of a kick out of it. :D

Kkkkk, thAt would be me ! 

I’m watching the subbed episode right now , and I love how the  hostage situation is not just a pure coincidence to what’s happening to him in 2018. The hostages & the trio who are entangled in this situation is representative of how he’s trapped in 2018-unconscious & unable to wake up . The desperation & worry of the mum of one the escaped prisoners reflects the helplessness that his mum feels - begging him to give her a sign that she should not pull off the ventilator. The 2pm deadline where they threatened to kill off the hostages if their requests are not met is a a sign that TJ’s life hangs in the balance in 2018. When they seem to be unable to break the hostage situation, the doctor in 2018 states that there’s nothing more they could do for Tae Joo. His desperation to keep the injured guy alive with 20mins to 2pm mirrors his desperation to do the same in 2018. And when the last guy standing says “ you think you’re alive don’t you ? You’re already dead “ . Daebak! 

The parallelisms are so good! 

————///——

Ratings at 3.8%

New stills ...

Omg that’s little Tae Joo , what’s he doing with them ?

2 hours ago, triplem said:

I’m watching the subbed episode right now , and I love how the  hostage situation is not just a pure coincidence to what’s happening to him in 2018. The hostages & the trio who are entangled in this situation is representative of how he’s trapped in 2018-unconscious & unable to wake up . The desperation & worry of the mum of one the escaped prisoners reflects the helplessness that his mum feels - begging him to give her a sign that she should not pull off the ventilator. The 2pm deadline where they threatened to kill off the hostages if their requests are not met is a a sign that TJ’s life hangs in the balance in 2018. When they seem to be unable to break the hostage situation, the doctor in 2018 states that there’s nothing more they could do for Tae Joo. His desperation to keep the injured guy alive with 20mins to 2pm mirrors his desperation to do the same in 2018. And when the last guy standing says “ you think you’re alive don’t you ? You’re already dead “ . Daebak! 

The parallelisms are so good! 

What was really interesting to me is that the hostages were completely suicidal towards the end. It seemed to me that the more TJ tried to keep them alive at the end, the more they were in despair over their own plight. Rather than face re-imprisonment and an extended prison sentence, they chose to take their own lives rather than surrender. When pressure is brought to bear from within and out, their solidarity crumbles. They obviously didn't think through the consequences when they embarked on this path because it was an opportunity that surfaced suddenly and they took it. It is fascinating especially when you think of how they took hostages in the first place so that they could air their grievances and fight for their freedom. It's as if they swung from one extreme of the pendulum to another.

I don't agree with everything DC says or does in this show but what he said about the lack of thought on their part about leaping into this hostage situation rang true. They were desperate but there's no denying that in the bid to reclaim their freedom, they trespassed onto the freedom of others.

While everyone else was waxing philosophical about injustice and the relative merits of taking hostages, what was foremost in TJ's mind was survival... how to stay alive and get everyone out of there alive. The hostage situation paralleled his own situation as a hostage to his present condition... whatever we think that might be... coma, limbo land etc etc. I also think that the issues raised by the hostage takers represent the outworking of the tensions within TJ's mind regarding his own rigid adherence to the law and the underlying realities regarding the deficiencies of the justice system.

Bee Gees' Holiday with lyrics (as featured in Episode 7)

Hi everyone. I have watched Life on Mars about 10 years ago. 

I could see the korean version has similarity and their own authentic story mixed up together.

I have watched till ep7 and tomorrow only I will be able to watch ep8 (eng sub). 

In my opinion, TJ was traumatized as a 6yrs old boy either by what he saw or the death of his father. If anyone realized that in the first episode when they introduced TJ character, the date was 2 April 2018 and the calendar stated 11 April 2018 is his dad's death anniversary. 

In the end of ep6, the date that TJ younger self got the baseball ball hsi dad got for him was 2 April 1988. It means either in ep8 or later they will show how his dad dies as I don't think TJ knows  how his dad died.

The preview of ep8, looks like Officer Yoon was running after TJ younger self and looks like wearing the same particular white dress being attack unknown assailant. I'm not sure his dad could be the killer or not. But one thing I'm sure is that in ep1 where TJ got shot, the killer said he knows TJ which intrigued me. How he knows TJ; when they were young boys? Who is the killer partner that shot TJ? 

2 hours ago, blademan said:

FIRST OST OUT!!!

:wub:

Thanks. Waiting for this song since ep1

I think a candidate for the accomplice in the police force is that guy who came with the swat team, he gave away officer Yoon's cover - that is a huge "mistake",  that is one thing the police would never do -  unveil the cover of a fellow officer.  He may have some hostility toward women.

Omo! Watching eps 8 Live ....

Not only is dad part of the lottery gang , he is the numero uno!!! Gang leader. What a shock for Tae Joo 

They managed to track dad down, TJ tried talking nicely to his dad to ask him to follow him to station , dad tried to run. NY brought him down & caught him. Then as they were taking him away rival gang came to get dad. TJ told NY to take dad first .  The rival gang & TJ fight - TJ is outnumbered. Worried NY got distracted & dad managed to escape. Then more cops came including DC & arrested the gang.

( don’t mind my sporadic  live caps - just too excited!) 

As they investigate , dad really had a double life . He had another woman outside from the clubs whom I think help him run away. Something happened to mum’s saloon or they report dad missing I think. TJ & gang go see her . Many phone calls come in & TJ suddenly recalls when he was young,  dad telephoned him & ask to meet him at some place . TJ tells DC about it & they manage to track lil Tae Joo in some train station . But after a while , no signs, DC calls off the waiting. NY seeing that lil TJ was cold gave him her jacket , damn she’s wearing the white dress 

suddenly lil TJ spots dad at the tracks & start running after him .NY follows & so does TJ. But TJ gets dizzy , realised the the dead girl of his memories could be NY. As he was dizzy , he lost sight of NY. He manages to track down Lil TJ & the abandoned wArehouse . He follows lil TJ. He hears voices from 2018. Then he sees dad holding a pipe , blood everywhere, a girl in white dress on the table . Omo it is not NY . Thank god . It’s Dad’s accomplice . Dad runs off after seeing lil TJ

Ny calls out to TJ. She’s ok . Then TJ goes after dad & managed to catch up with him.TJ points the gun at him...begs him to stop...dad continues to weasel his way out  ..even offer TJ money ( I don’t think dad’s the serial killer though) ...TJ says some emotional stuff to him. Sirens in the background, then dad pretend to offer his hands to be cuffed ...takes a stone & wacks TJ on the head. So sorry for TJ. Dad runs. TJ goes after him, Omo the series killer bumps into dad. He shoots dad. Time stops . The scene repeats . But dad gets shot again. TJ runs towards dad - he tries each time but it won’t change . Dad died,So it’s not dad that’s the killer but he was a victim 

- ends- 

Did not expect to live cap :w00t: but oh well I got excited. Tonight’s episode was so good but so sad as well . While it was revealed that dad was no angel & was in fact the leader of the lottery gang , the reason TJ needed to revisit this was to get closure . Dad is not the killer as many of us had suspected & hoped . But the saddest bit was he was killed by an unknown man ( whom I’m guessing is the killer ) & this time in front of TJ. :tears: TJ could not change dad’s fate .

Vids from tonight 

Spoiler

Spoiler

This was quite an important scene relating to his present. For the first time TJ seems to be able to see the doc & nurse tending to him . He tried so very hard to communicate with them , but it’s like he’s just trapped 

Spoiler

NY always brings such comfort to TJ

These Are cuts of how they discovered dad was part of the gang

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

TJ & NY almost caught dad here

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lil TJ running after dad , with NY & TJ following suit

Spoiler

The scene that had haunted TJ all this while

Father & Son showdown 

Spoiler

So sad. 

OMG WHO THE HELL IS THIS KILLER???? 

The way he's dressed up it seems like he's from the future...? Could it be that it was TJ's hallucination??

And how does KMS know him?!! THIS SHOW IS TOO GOOD :w00t:

But dad :( he's no angel....and it was heartbreaking to see TJ discover that for himself. Now it makes sense why he subconsciously blocked all memory of his childhood before 1988. Seeing that image of his dad must have been traumatising.

But I am glad that adult TJ finally saw and heard what he needed to in regards to his dad.

Will post my full thoughts after the subs come out.

41 minutes ago, blademan said:

OMG WHO THE HELL IS THIS KILLER???? 

The way he's dressed up it seems like he's from the future...? Could it be that it was TJ's hallucination??

And how does KMS know him?!! THIS SHOW IS TOO GOOD :w00t:

But dad :( he's no angel....and it was heartbreaking to see TJ discover that for himself. Now it makes sense why he subconsciously blocked all memory of his childhood before 1988. Seeing that image of his dad must have been traumatising.

But I am glad that adult TJ finally saw and heard what he needed to in regards to his dad.

Will post my full thoughts after the subs come out.

The way I see the killer who shot TJ's dad, it looks similar to the person who shot TJ in the future. 

He could be the killer in the past and guiding KMS in the future to kill the same way.. 

15 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Episode 8 screenshots. Spoiler.  Anyone recognize these people, man in coat? :D Sorry for the resolution.

Hide contents

Spoiler

Spoiler

Isn’t he the doc who always appears in his dizzy spells ? 

The tv guy as well 

@sheelatpsfm I suspect so as well . I have a feeling it’s the guy who shot him in 2018. Once I watch with subs let’s see if we can get a good screen shot .

Archived