[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

OG leaves SM, grabs the sword, and fights the dragon, after General Frost has exhausted himself from trying to hold the dragon at bay. This is another clip without dialogue, but comes next in the sequence.

Aftermath of the fight. The final clip.

SB: The black dragon has disappeared.
MW: So, Son Oh Gong has won.

OG: Jin Seon Mi. The world is just as it was, but now in this world, you are not here.

Something that occurred to me is that because of KDS, SM as SJ doesn't contain the dragon who then must be killed by OG. Rather SM/SJ dies first, and then OG has to defeat the dragon directly. The end result as of this episode is the same, as in the black dragon has been vanquished, and SM/SJ is dead, however, it's a departure from what heaven had originally ordained.

This doesn't help my sadness any that SM has died, but at least she died in OG's arms. And, I don't think she succeeded in emptying herself of her love for OG anyway.

However, OG now will feel his loss ever more keenly. Perhaps even more so knowing that he had been able to win over the black dragon directly, and perhaps he still could have even without SM having to sacrifice her life if only he had gotten to her in time.

I want to see the final episode now, and it had better be a happy ending after all. Without a reincarnation ending. I'm wiling to accept a loophole in the heavens since events had not gone the way they had tried to ordain it anyway.

Also, these are the last clips that tvN had released for episode 19.

Well said, my friend. Peddler halmeoni already notioned that their fates might be going to diff direction since GGG loat its power already. I just truly wished the fate's going to better direction. 

Reading a few latest posts still relishing on how sexy the early scenes are, i will indulge myself again so i could be calmer and proceed to a qualified sleep. Dreaming about 50-SJ happy ending. I'm obsessed and i don't want to be helped. Hehe..

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I do know if they reincarnate SM as a baby or child and SOG befriends her it’s going to be awkward and a little Squiky.. is he gonna wait for her to grow up again? Keep an eye on her In secret?  Fans are going to be very upset in any case. 

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

5 minutes ago, countingstarz said:

Moral of the story ? :mellow:

I am totally with you... the whole plot about saving world and sacrifice and block dragon waking it up killing it I don’t get it... if writers wanted to kill SJ at the end fine but with a more believable story line. I hate it when te plot doesn’t make sense and things happen just because writer wants to. I get that this is a fantasy drama but the story should makes sense/have a point  at least according to the rules set for the story. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, countingstarz said:

Moral of the story ? :mellow:

:lol: LOL but they killed her off so fast that she probably didn't have the opportunity to get pregnant. I get this is only fun. However, let's seriously contemplate it for a moment (this is purely hypothetical and absolutely NOT something that happened but I really love this heartwrenching, dark stuff and it would be truly awesome set up in the case the story was much more darker than it originally is) - if SM really got pregnant then that would change her death completely. It was already so tragic but imagine OG's heartbreak if he learned that not only did he lost the love of his life but also his child? Imagine his self-blame that he couldn't protect them? Imagine SM's immense self-blame for unwittingly getting their child killed?

I'm sorry I just got carried away since I'm a huge fan of angsty, dark love stories and today's episode is basically all my fantasies come true.

• Like 12
  • Sad 6

22 minutes ago, briseis said:

:lol: LOL but they killed her off so fast that she probably didn't have the opportunity to get pregnant. I get this is only fun. However, let's seriously contemplate it for a moment (this is purely hypothetical and absolutely NOT something that happened but I really love this heartwrenching, dark stuff and it would be truly awesome set up in the case the story was much more darker than it originally is) - if SM really got pregnant then that would change her death completely. It was already so tragic but imagine OG's heartbreak if he learned that not only did he lost the love of his life but also his child? Imagine his self-blame that he couldn't protect them? Imagine SM's immense self-blame for unwittingly getting their child killed?

I'm sorry I just got carried away since I'm a huge fan of angsty, dark love stories and today's episode is basically all my fantasies come true.

OR..

heaven and earth suddenly realize that while all divine powers of samjang and OG put together were still not enough to fight the dragon.. but they didn't account for one more god's power..

like edward's and bella's daughter..

this kid is super super natural being.. coming from bloodline of a man who is powerful than the deities in heaven.. and a woman who embodies the richness , pureness, and goodness of character...  those are strong powers.. so when they combine.. you have an almost god (the good superpowers)..

so when that kid was thwarted, powers in universe including his also came into the picture :)

.. nobody dies! .. and since its just been a day after sex.. well it wasn't big enough to be ruined by the sword 

The necklace is so pretty... i want it.. m sure must have sold out

• Thanks 6

29 minutes ago, briseis said:

@briseis I also like angsty and dark love but when it’s done properly. But I think here the plot was shakey. Like they said it’s sj job to kill the dragon but at the end SOG killed it. Like why they couldn’t team up if the goal was to destroy the evil aka black dragon. I can’t relate to it when I don’t see why this was the only way 

• Like 3

I hope SM is able to use her one last day on earth to console our poor monkey’s heart, and tell him....

That it wasn’t his fault that she died.

That she’s sorry for leaving him behind, and hope he will one day forgive her for choosing to sacrifice herself

That their contract will never be broken

That she will one day call his name again, and be his one and only bride

That they will one day return to Namsan tower to eat cotton candies, followed by watching his favourite movies.

That apart from winter, they will experience spring, summer, followed by autumn.. and many more seasons to come.. together as one, and maybe with their monkey baby, or babieS. 

:’)

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ParvinStar said:

@briseis I also like angsty and dark love but when it’s done properly. But I think here the plot was shakey. Like they said it’s sj job to kill the dragon but at the end SOG killed it. Like why they couldn’t team up if the goal was to destroy the evil aka black dragon. I can’t relate to it when I don’t see why this was the only way 

I have calmed down and after a rational rewatch of the episode raw without buffering, I have to agree with you. I like angst, just as much and I loved today's episode because of it but the question begs to be asked. What exactly was the purpose of SJ, if she was meant to be killed by KDS and not fulfill her role in saving the world? Was she only there to build up SOG as the ultimate hero? His love who was meant to turn him humane? Just a bait that he had to save over and over? In fact I am sure he will save her tomorrow too and bring her back to turn her into a deity, which I am all for but I am unhappy with how the writers have treated JSM, especially her death. They basically used JSM's death to give SOG the power of love to defeat the Dragon. Couldn't they have done that without killing her? Couldn't SHE have done that?! It was her role to contain the dragon after all! If she had used her powers to kill herself, JSM would have been a hero. She still is one but she would have been an epic one.

This is the same problem I had when Gu Family Book killed off the heroine by making a HUMAN save a Human-Beast, who could have easily healed if he had been shot.

Like I said before many times, if not for her sacrifice by taking in the Dragon and killing herself with her powers, what is her purpose? Why exactly was she given powers if the writers never intended for her to use them to save the world? Why didn't she just command KDS to step down. She did that with ASN to call BJ out.

Anyway, I am not bashing JSM, I love her and I have complaints with SOG and his constant hiding facts and truths from her to protect too. He never learned, even after what happened with the Death bell. If only he had been upfront and honest with her then all of this could have been avoided. She died thinking his love was fake and I feel for him 100% but I can't help but be exasperated with the writers. What in the world were they thinking?! This is some lazy writing. If Deadpool had been in this show, he would have looked at the screen and called the writers out for this nonsense.

• Like 9

I kinda placed a high expectation for the last two episodes but the first of the two just left me bleh...I came in because of my bias Oh Yeon Seo and Lee Seung-Gi but I am annoyed and amazingly disappointed at the way the drama is ruined. Despite many high ratings dramas the Hong sis have under their belts, I have never been an avid fan. My rule is simple. No high level red alerts (e.g. cringe moments, illogical plot, miserable editing - to name a few) and I will finish watching. But if I see so many reds especially to the point of me cringe-watching...then even my bias can't stop me from leaving. 

My POV on ep.19 :

1. Cringe becomes me (what?!!). Writer-nims and PD-nims, you have successfully ruined my viewing experience.

2. The storyline and the plot arrangements become completely loose. What the heck did I just watch? Que *rolling eyes*

3. The CGI, not impressive AT ALL. E.g. the dragon fightings equals third-rate quality, add the awkwardness to that as well...it is just a failure.

4. Where is that Kang Dae Sung? He left? Just like that? Bwahahaha... a reaction from an 'evil' guy who wanna rule the world i.e. he chickens out when he kills. How convincing!

5. Action scene e.g. swinging few times and just pointing the sword then dragon is dead... seriously? A Monkey King fighting a dragon just like that? Not a fight worth invested in or even talked about, ever!

6. That old guy trying to stop SOG. Like for what when Samjang can easily be killed by a human... what is the point of a protector having the fate of killing the samjang? *roll eyes again*

7. What exactly is the heavenly destiny of samjang? Save the world? By being stabbed by the villain, you mean? How is that saving the world? Duh!

8. The last breath of sam jang is so abrupt....plus the whole weeping scene ... I am not getting the emotions! I am not convinced I should cry along. How frustrating!

9. The pig and the prince burning scene. Is it really necessary? I won't even call that a filler...

10. The morning-after scene... why does it felt so unrelatable? 

11. Worst of it all, it makes the whole casts look so mediocre. Nuff said...

This just went from grade A to F in my review, taking into consideration it destroys my 1hr plus viewing time. That is quite a fall... and that is what happened when you don't thread carefully with anticlimaxes.

What a way to end Hwayugi... an epic failure of an ending... a 'sad' ends indeed... oh what could have been...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1