[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Okokok I'm allll about staying positive right now. Let's look at the silver linings in this episode:

- SOG and JSM defied the death fate. I mean, sure, she died.. but at least SOG wasn't the one who had to kill her?

- JSM got to die in SOG's arms 

- They had ONE happy night and morning after together 

- SOG defeated the Black Dragon, not just by himself but with the GGG's help (so JSM's love?)

Since they never really gave us a proper back story abt the previous Samjang-Guardian pair, I will assume that if you are a freaking pure BOWL being used to contain evil, that you will just, I dunno, become bubbles or something. Not to mention leave a broken- hearted and guilt-ridden guardian behind for eternity. Since JSM avoid her fate of being dishware, I'm thinking that hers and SOG's love will somehow lead to them being together. At this point in time, I don't care if they just end up as stars, cotton candy or ddeoboki, just give me a happy ending darn it!

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

13 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Their chemistry and acting in that scene is crazy.  They are the best acting partner for each other i have seen so far.  I have no words cos they ooze this deep , real, and sexy chemistry 

Agree! I watched couple of LSG's dramas before but no one was like this. I also remember when OYS was announced as lead in Cheese in the Trap movie alongside Park Hae Jin, I was super excited because I thought they will look cute together. But then, this drama happened before the movie, now, I think (this just my opinion, though. maybe it's only me) no actor can surpass Lee Seung Gi in terms of chemistry with OYS. For me, finally LSG and OYS have found their perfect onscreen partner. (I don't mind if they become off screen as well :tongue:)

• Like 12
  • LOL 6

Let's stay positive . Let's trust Hong sisters and how the original JTTW ends with SOG and the monk  becoming deities.

Sunmi died in ep 19 and not 20 for a reason. If they want to make her say goodbye for a day then come back as reincarnated they can just do that next ep. I seriously have no interest in other characters other than the otp.  Killing Alice so abruptly means the writer also want to finish the other story asap

So let's lightened our mood by activating our pervy mind for a bit.  The opening scene btw them is so hot!!!

• Like 10

Morning after scene.

OG: Hey! Who are you that you come into my room in the morning and secretly watch me?
SM: A star candy fell from the heavens which has brought me here, but when I opened my eyes, Mr. Fairy was here, so I was looking at you.
OG: (laughs) Wow. From first thing in the morning, Jin Seon Mi is being so crazy sweet. I should have thrown a star candy from the beginning. I almost wasted all that time throwing ice cream and cotton candy.
SM: The cotton candy was also sweet and delicious. Shall we have a cup of tea?

SM: If we go to the park where we ate the cotton candy, it would probably be warm now, wouldn’t it?
OG: It probably would. Oh, it was so cold then.
SM: Still, it was nice. If we go there, there is a lock that I locked up there. It’s probably still there, right?
OG: It probably is. Why?
SM: While looking at you earlier, I was thinking about what was the best, but there were too many good things. So, there are a lot of things that I want to do again as well. I want to go the theater and watch the warm movie that you had liked. And, when it was over, eating deokkbokki would also be good. Go to the library and read books together, and go shopping at the supermarket. We should have cooked and eaten a meal together.
OG: Do you want more tea?
SM: Going together to the Lotus Flower Village was also good. If we went there again, would we meet the White Egret again?
OG: Why?
SM: Won’t that person perhaps know what we should do going forward?
OG: She might, who knows.

Oh man, the underlying sadness in these scenes is killing me. Watching this, I realized that actually SM has some hope at this point that both she and OG will live through this since OG had lied to her that the White Egret and her SJ had managed to survive. So, SM wants to go and consult with her now about what to do, however, OG knows the truth.

I am a bit disappointed they didn’t follow thru the Death Bell premonition. I rather it be SOG that stabbed JSM than KDS. Like SOG tried to fight the dragon but was not gaining much and maybe at the verge of dying until SJ stepped in and let what the deities have predicted that she will fill the evil dragon in her and SOG killed her (accidentally or not) with the given sword and then the dragon gets destroyed and then SOG collapsed.

If this sequence I can understand why he will then lock away his memory and give up on himself and waste his days away in seureumdong. To kill his beloved is definitely the most painful memory.

Actually didn’t like this development at all coz it will be way too similar to the other popular drama. Memory loss, time jump, summon him back from wilderness, reincarnation.

1 last episode, whatever the outcome, satifised or not, this will still be my most fav LSG drama. He came back from army, much more mature, confident and manly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

the little bir when SM "saw" hanoo bawling at his daughter's wedding was so cute <3 poor hanjoo, i wonder what he'd think when SM suddenly disappeared..like maybe she eloped with SOG or getting killed by SOG's chaebol family? lol i hope he's still around in the final ep

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Continuation of the morning after convo:

SM: Son Oh Gong, I probably have to call out the evil spirit that lives in that canyon, won’t I? And, you’ll have to get rid of it. How do you think the White Egret and the past Sam Jang did it?
OG: If it concerns you, go and ask her again. (at SM’s lack of response) Go ahead and go. The last time, since I was there, there might be something that she wasn’t able to tell you. This time, go by yourself and ask her again.
SM: Okay. I think it would be best to go see her.
OG: However, go with General Frost, since it might be dangerous.
SM: I’ll do that.
(OG moves to sit next to SM, and she plops her head down in his lap)
SM: Oh, I don’t want to go to work.
OG: Were you even thinking about going to work?!
SM: Would it be okay to not go to work?!
OG: (laughs) Do it. Go to work. You have to earn to live. Whatever else happens, living steadfastly well Jin Seon Mi. That is very cool. Probably the reason that I’ve come to be like this is also because you’re that kind of a person. (me: *whimper* He’s talking about how he’s truly in love with her, though he can’t come out and say it as yet.)
SM: Okay. (startles) Oh, I’m going to be late for work. I have to hurry! (stops a moment to drape her arms around OG) I’ll be back.
OG: (sighing) Wouldn’t it be okay if she were late? Out of humane consideration.

The clip ends mid-sentence it seems, and since I haven't watched it yet, I'm not sure how he finishes the sentiment. I may come back and edit the post later after I watch the episode if it's anything cute or significant.

edit: So, the finish of his last phrase was actually pretty cute. He was wishing that she would take pity on him, and be late to work instead, so that she can continue to play with him a little longer. :)

After all the sadness I'm going to give a happy scenario. If the shows ending disappoints me (looking at you Goblin, Black Knight and Gu Family Book) I'm just going to pretend the below scenario happened or will pretend the show ended after their hanky panky. :tongue:

SOG wakes up in SBR's "office" and thinks the Gods may have attacked him so he locks himself in Sereumdong. He suffered such tremendous trauma from JSM's death that he forgot everything and went back to being himself before he met JSM. In desperation, Skyland bring back JSM's soul and tasks her to go to the human world and get SOG's bracelet off. SOG goes to the tower(dunno why) and JSM comes there and tries to remove the bracelet but she doesn't remember him. SOG rejects her try and remembers her. He caresses her face but she rejects him since she doesn't remember him. He kisses her, puts the ring back on her finger and tells her to remember his name so he can come find her. JSM goes back to heaven. SOG calls her name and the ring flashes. She remembers his name and now him. She calls his name. He takes her soul (maybe takes her to Sereumdong where her body is? Then later)and goes to the skyland where he feeds her the peach of immortality and magic pill. JSM is a deity now. SOG and JSM are maybe punished for eating the peach and pill. They are sent back to the human world to collect points so they can enter skyland again. MW too needs to earn points again to become a deity to protect his son. SOG and JSM get married and have a son. After a month or so they get invited to Jonathan's movie about JSM. They go to the premiere and leave the baby with MW to babysit. Some more lovey dovey stuff and Happy ever after. The end.

Hong sisters, you better not disappoint me. <_< BTW, yes, i don't really give a damn about PK, ASN or whatever. I personally want to kick PK really hard for being so dumb. I genuinely thought he loved Buja(as a sibling) but all he loves is her face. As long as it's her face, he doesn't even mind if its ASN in her body. He just wants to protect her. :angry: Blah, no thanks.

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, juzluvpink said:

I am a bit disappointed they didn’t follow thru the Death Bell premonition. I rather it be SOG that stabbed JSM than KDS. Like SOG tried to fight the dragon but was not gaining much and maybe at the verge of dying until SJ stepped in and let what the deities have predicted that she will fill the evil dragon in her and SOG killed her (accidentally or not) with the given sword and then the dragon gets destroyed and then SOG collapsed.

ikr. un the grand scheme of things, kang dae sung is so insignificant that it's an insult that sam jang got killed by him. where was sunmi's sacrifice then? according to the granny she would make the choice whether to sacrifice herself or not to save the world, but then she was accidentally stabbed by KDS and died. that's just lame, esp after spending a lot of episodes angsting over their death bell fate. i'm just so mad over this, more than the fact that sunmi died, even. we knew she's gonna die, but i was hoping for a cooler, more epic death

• Like 8

I feel like episode 20 will just be another "How will OG save SM this time?" and for me reincarnation wouldn't fit in with that..because that would involve him just sitting there and twiddling his thumbs till that happens...so far in the previous episodes that has not been his style sooo....

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, walkinsiesta said:

ikr. un the grand scheme of things, kang dae sung is so insignificant that it's an insult that sam jang got killed by him. where was sunmi's sacrifice then? according to the granny she would make the choice whether to sacrifice herself or not to save the world, but then she was accidentally stabbed by KDS and died. that's just lame, esp after spending a lot of episodes angsting over their death bell fate. i'm just so mad over this, more than the fact that sunmi died, even. we knew she's gonna die, but i was hoping for a cooler, more epic death

Actually JSM looked plenty cool and badass holding the sword against KDS. I guess whether or not her death was "significant", she still played her role. She CHOSE to sacrifice herself- & again, even though SOG was the one who finally fell the dragon, I think her choice (& love) as well as his choice to return all played a role. 

Although it seems haphazard and chaotic at the onset, I actually find the series of events more poetic. Rather than going through a tragic fate that neither SOG nor JSM could control and was mandated by the heavens. THIS particular tragedy was at least of their own choice and making. At any point in time, things could have been different- JSM chooses not to turn up, SOG choosing not to end the fight against the dragon. But even with her dying breath, to save the world was still what JSM wanted and chose. SOG, who could care less about the world, chose to fulfil her last wish out of his love for her.  

I strongly feel (& hope) that this sense of agency through their love and compassion changes something in their favour. I can now just imagine the peddlar grandma being lawyerish in the heavens court and laying out methodically all the reasons why they should be allowed to be together. Somehow the "heavens" in this drama strikes me as a bureaucratic, temperamental government type of organization... :tongue:

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

This episode left me speechless. Being so happy watching the first scene and crying sadness in the last.

In the fight part, so technically it's the love power which help OG to defeated the dragon.  I'm afraid of the ending, I don't think it will be reincarnation route but I don't know how JSM will be back. Could it be, OG tricks gods so they can grant him a wish, to make JSM immortal so both of them can live together in skyland?

Hope some possibilities of happy ending that already been post here can come true. Want the best ending please Hong Sisters give us best ending

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bits of various conversations as OG is maneuvering to keep SM safe while he fights the dragon. However, SM does some thinking of her own.

KDS: I think I’ve seen something important. Thank you.

OG: Kang Dae Sung went to see Sam Jang. I don’t think I can let them meet any longer. Oh Jeong, the ritual that Ah Sa Nyeo is preparing, she’s going to have to do it today.
OJ: I’ll get it ready.
OG: General Frost, protect Sam Jang. Until this day is over, whatever happens, hold it off.
Frost: Yes, hyung-nim.

ASN: Today? Why are we suddenly rushing?
OJ: I am just doing as hyung-nim has told me to make preparations.
ASN: Whenever doesn’t matter to me. Whatever I decree, that person Kang Dae Sung will do as I say.

KDS: That’s good. I prefer it to be sooner. Since I’ve really seen the dragon.
ASN: What do you mean you saw it?
KDS: When I met Jin Seon Mi, through her, I was able to see it. Until now, I’ve been thinking that it was just a figure of imagination, but now I believe that there really is such a thing and that it’s mine. If I really have a dragon, will I have the strength to really destroy the world?
ASN: Using the dragon’s strength, you’ll be able to climb to the top of the world, and that strength will be able to rule the entire world. You, more than any other king, will have unimaginable power and fire at your disposal.
KDS: I was definitely a specially chosen person.

SM: What was that? Will I be calling that thing and will Son Oh Gong be able to destroy it? He said it was very strong.
(flashback: The doctor that we had met. She said that she was a protector for another Sam Jang in the past. Like you and me.)
SM: The White Egret survived, so he (OG) can be safe as well.

Sunmi holding the sword is cool and she was the one who prevented the dragon from getting his evil master.

i don't want to complain at all... Cg , blah blah blah. As long as they give us a happy ending with fluffs then it's more more than enough. We have been seeing gods from demons perspective so i have to see if they are really that cruel. This true love must have touched their heart right? 

One most important thing :  SOG is a deity too and can define someone fate.

Sunmi has suffered all her life so it's time for her to get rewarded and live with OG forever and ever. She is the only one who can tame him anyway. Her death will only create anger in him

The writer have been surprising me with more than enough actually so i'm still holding on to my hope and faith. 

This episode was  a bittersweet one. Gosh this must be the first time a couple can move my heart and getting all these butterflies in my stomach.

The chemistry game is so strong...

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, lala2018 said:

It's true that SJ is dead. So, I think ep 20 will be an open ending, the baby in ep 16 maybe SJ reborn. But, I wish to see their wedding, SOG-SJ/LSG-OYS :heart:

That is a baby boy and was said to resemble OG

• Like 6

OG looks wistfully at SM leaving with Frosty. :( SB tempts MW into finding the sword that OG had hidden. 

(flashback OG: In case I’m destroyed and disappear, tell her that I ran away. That I was freed from the geumganggo and won’t be appearing again. Since I still have this, she’ll believe it.)

SB: The heavens is going to grant Ma Wang’s unusual request. Please find the sword that Oh Gong has hidden.
MW: That sword is probably hidden at Sureumdong which that rascal has locked up.
SB: If it’s Ma Wang, you’re going to be able to break the protections he’s placed around it and find it. As soon as you find it, Ma Wang will immediately be granted a deity position.
MW: Are you telling me right now to betray Son Oh Gong?! How could you? What do you think of me?
SB: It’s not a betrayal. You’re helping him.
Sec. Ma: Don’t insult Ma Wang. Ma Wang has already promised not to interfere with what the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven is doing. He is absolutely not someone who would go back on a promise.
(MW clears his throat.)
SB: Then on top of becoming a deity, a star.
Sec. Ma: He is absolutely not going to waver. Please leave.