[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Would you look at that, a new and improved AMAZ, or as experts have aptly revised its name as well to Actionscript’s My Ahjussi Zodiac Expressing Binary Alternative Love Lines, or AMAZEBALL. 

I guess I was 2-3 in my first watch and now firmly 3-5 too!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Don't worry. It does. :lol: We can revisit this concept when you've watched more episodes. :lol:

What really strikes me now when the bartender is saying these things to Dong Hoon (how much he hates his cheating wife) is that he can't stop thinking about his wife sleeping with that other guy. And we see in flashbacks that Dong Hoon is feeling the same way, he cannot stop thinking about Yoon Hee and Do Joon Young. So if he's avoiding Yoon Hee at this point, thinking about YH and DJY is definitely part of that.

But all above that, PDH is still sincere in his marriage. This far I see (I am in the middle of ep 11). Nobody has been sincere to anybody in this drama, LJA, YH, DYJ, except PDH.

I guess this is why I could not connect LJA to DH romanticaly until now. OK she has a pitiful background, ok that she needs to pay her debt tp Gang Il, what does not okay to me is she does not sincere. She has motif in everything she does. To PDH too she does not sincere. That is the problem. It is better if she continue her life in peace alone and perhaps someday she will meet someone who can be sincere to her and so does she to that person.

As for PDH, he is better to continue his life and divorce with his wife. a wife who has slept with another man, brings disgrace to her family and to her husband face. She supposed to be the symbol of her husband's honor. But with what YH did to PDH, I see that PDH does not deserves her anymore. who will honoring or respect him when his own wife sleeps with another man. PDH is a very pathetic character.

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Hehe. PDU is so perceptive. And I love this scene, that Dong Hoon is willing to defy his sunbae - whom he really respects - in order to protect Ji An and not play any tricks on her.

Great!! I will put this in to (my) older posts! This is a solid matrix.

I was 2 - 1 on my first watch, and 3 - 5 now. :wub:

continue to watch ep 11 besties ^_*

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Benz said:

Would you look at that, a new and improved AMAZ, or as experts have aptly revised its name as well to Actionscript’s My Ahjussi Zodiac Expressing Binary Alternative Love Lines, or AMAZEBALL. 

This acronym is great! LOL. "Amazeballs" is actually one of my favorite words, but one that I find must be used sparingly and in the right contexts. :joy: Now when we distribute this matrix I can use the word freely. :D

9 hours ago, Gumiho said:

She has motif in everything she does. To PDH too she does not sincere. That is the problem. It is better if she continue her life in peace alone and perhaps someday she will meet someone who can be sincere to her and so does she to that person.

Ji An's transformation from someone who does have an underhanded motive in the beginning of the show, to a beautiful, sincere woman who loves the people around her freely and deeply is one of the most wonderful themes of this show. You have some good episodes coming up!!

9 hours ago, Gumiho said:

But all above that, PDH is still sincere in his marriage.

That's what I thought, too, the first time I watched it. Now I see that the bartender's thoughts about hating his wife is actually a reflection of how DH feels by the end of Episode 10 as well. He really does not want to be with Yoon Hee or spend time with her, even if he still wants to keep up appearances and "endure" the marriage. But he can't stop thinking about YH and the CEO. As @actionscript has said before, it would be unspeakable hell for DH to stay in that marriage, when YH has slept with DH's slimy, bully boss who already makes his working life at Saman E and C very difficult. And DH still has to bow and submit to Do Joon Young at work, AND think about his own wife sleeping with this same person. In the long-term, there's no way DH can stay in that marriage and be happy. Their "oneness" is gone. Now the question is what to do about it - stay in the marriage and be unhappy forever (which is what DH is thinking about doing through the 1st half of Episode 11), or release each other and try to move on.

4 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

I found that during the plots of DH and JA's goodbye hug to they cheer up each other, the color of these scenes is red.
But at the moment DH picks up a call from YH, the color of the scenes turns blue.
I think this is also a kind of detail hint.

Whoa!!! Great catch!!

Do you find that there are any "red" scenes in Saman? Or are they all neutral/ bluer (blue because it's an office setting that's "colder" anyway)?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My friend, who has heard me talk about MM ad nauseum yet who will never watch it - or any other kdrama - got me this as a present a few weeks ago. She did the research and found this image of DH and JA, then she ordered a custom mug with it.

I cried when I saw it! :lol:

I love it so much! :joy:

It has been sitting on my desk as "inspiration." (Whether it will ever get used is another story. Must keep it clean and scratch-free!)

Thought you all would appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Blob 1

18 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

This acronym is great! LOL. "Amazeballs" is actually one of my favorite words, but one that I find must be used sparingly and in the right contexts. :joy: Now when we distribute this matrix I can use the word freely. :D

Ji An's transformation from someone who does have an underhanded motive in the beginning of the show, to a beautiful, sincere woman who loves the people around her freely and deeply is one of the most wonderful themes of this show. You have some good episodes coming up!!

I hope I can watch ep 11 until the end on this evening ^_* wish me luck! :sipsboba:

That's what I thought, too, the first time I watched it. Now I see that the bartender's thoughts about hating his wife is actually a reflection of how DH feels by the end of Episode 10 as well. He really does not want to be with Yoon Hee or spend time with her, even if he still wants to keep up appearances and "endure" the marriage. But he can't stop thinking about YH and the CEO. As @actionscript has said before, it would be unspeakable hell for DH to stay in that marriage, when YH has slept with DH's slimy, bully boss who already makes his working life at Saman E and C very difficult. And DH still has to bow and submit to Do Joon Young at work, AND think about his own wife sleeping with this same person. In the long-term, there's no way DH can stay in that marriage and be happy. Their "oneness" is gone. Now the question is what to do about it - stay in the marriage and be unhappy forever (which is what DH is thinking about doing through the 1st half of Episode 11), or release each other and try to move on.

It's about his self respect. He is a man and a husband. He is the head of the house. The moment Yu Hui sleeps with DYJ, no matter he is a ceo or a beggar in the street, His dignity as a husband is already destroyed. If I the husband, I will immediately divorce YH. HAHAHA. Seriously. We are asian. our husbands dignity are representing our house. btw this is why I said PDH is a pathetic character because of he even cooked chicken porridge for Yu Hui when she break up with DYJ. I am so mad with this scene. Hahaha. what kind of man is he? lol.. 

Whoa!!! Great catch!!

Do you find that there are any "red" scenes in Saman? Or are they all neutral/ bluer (blue because it's an office setting that's "colder" anyway)?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

10 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

KH&YR vs. DH&JA are two pairs that maintain high synchronization throughout the drama.

This is an awesome post! This proves the high sync rate between KH & YR vs DH & JA were indeed designed from end-to-end and not just to have pockets of similarities here and there.

KH: You're pretty. You're really pretty. I mean, a lot. I want you to succeed. And I think you'll do well. I even sometimes think of Notting Hill when I think of you. I imagine how it would feel if you become a top star and come here to visit me one day. I imagine how it would feel if I hear that you quietly came by and had a drink at Jeong-hui's bar when no one was there. I imagine how it would feel if I tell you not to leave. But I tell myself that I should let you go. If I ever get to see you inside a huge screen at a movie theater, I think I'd feel really sad. But I think I'd also be happy. Even if I live a normal life like this, I think that would make my life feel like a movie.

These words from KH are so prophetic! Pretty much everything he said foreshadowed what actually happened – YR became a big star, she indeed visited Jung Hee’s again someday, and he did see her in a big movie screen.

And also in these words there are two parallels with DH: both men called the women pretty. And KH's words “I imagine how it would feel if I tell you not to leave. But I tell myself that I should let you go” sure reflected DH's thoughts and actions to JA as well during their goodbye dinner and goodbye hug. 

11. KH and YR are obviously a couple, but the whole drama only shows us them kissing and hugging, not holding hands (they break up at 3/4 of EP16), which is the same state of DH&JA before 3/4 of EP16. (EP3 JA kissed DH. EP16 goodbye hug.) [3]

Haha yes, they didn’t hold hands. All they did was a pinky promise. But again, the focus on the hands!

Spoiler

ZJ805Vn.png

pjYO5dw.png

-KH vs. DH conclusion-

According to the above observation and the high synchronization of these two groups, we know that the scriptwriter wants to present these two sets are actually in the same situation, that is, PDH also loves LJA, so the loveline exists.

And because KH has started writing the script, it is expected that he and YR will have a follow-up meet and a new start. So according to this high sync., so will DH and JA.

That is, DH and JA will have a new start.

In the end, these can be additional synced events:

YR dropping by Jung Hee’s bar = JA passing by Saman E&C

KH finally going back to doing movies = DH finally opening his own business (It can be said that both did it to win back the women in their lives, as it was mentioned by others that DH won’t be able to have a relationship with JA had he stayed in Saman even if JA is no longer working there, given JA’s tarnished history there (having drugged PDU, worked with DJY, etc.))

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Just finished ep 11

The conclusion is just even though YH is a lawyer it is very obvious that her brain is not working well. Hahaha. Yeah many examples happened in the real life here around me. A woman could have a master degree from a famous university in Melbourne but back in this city she takes someone else’s husband.. This thing is very very very normal in real life. Being smart does not mean that people will be 100% conscious. Lol.

Even if she begs for fogiveness from PDH could it be washing her mistake, I don’t think it could. YH 100% is a stupid foolish wife. Not only PDH dignity she destroyed but also her elegantness too as a woman hahaha. 

Another stupidity of YH:

PDH could not able to open up her affair with DYJ because of by doing that he will shows that he is a failed man and a husband too and will be embarassing his son’s mother in front of the people. She really makes PDH does not have any option.  Very very very stupid wife and woman. If she lives close to me I will help PDH to slaps her HAHAHAHA :Woah:

Very messy. Of course PDH thinks about his son how if he divorce with his mom and one day he will be knows that it is because of his mother sleeps with another man while being married to his father. She will be destroyed his son mentality too. 

and all of that is just because of PDH does not spend much time with her. Ottoke ya. They still live together in the same house for 15.. the conclussion is this YH wife character does not have a loooonngggggg patience :twerk2: sighh.. 

gtg. Need to take a shower at 5 AM tomorrow morning. Sweetdream besties

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

22 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Why ask this?
Do you want to find some plots about this?

Thank you for this! I was just curious how the colors were at Saman and I had a feeling you had analyzed it :lol:. I'm not sure I can think of any specific plot points about this, but I was wondering if there were stark red/ blue hues there.

16 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

KH&YR vs. DH&JA are two pairs that maintain high synchronization throughout the drama.

The following is the list.

Brilliant, brilliant post!! Wow! Thanks for laying all of these out - you can see that there are so many examples.

(The order of name lists by alphabetical order.)

:joy:

-In EP5, YR wakes up and starts getting close to KH, and the two start to interact. The polt of DH and JA in the current Episode is the "watching the moon" plot. And since that Episode, JA has completely let go of her defense against DH.

In the case of EP4 and EP5, it seems that when YR has not yet woken up, it symbolizes JA's feelings for DH are not yet clear, while after she wakes up, it symbolizes that JA's feelings are clear.

Great insight. I've never thought about this before! Also, Yu Ra is kind of messy when we first meet her, and I guess Ji An's internal state and life are a bit "messy" as well.

Meanwhile, when the man is fighting, the woman is running towards him.

Oh wow! Nice catch.

a) Both are a man and a woman talking on the phone. Also, the girls initiated the phone call.

(b) Both men want to go to the woman, but the woman refuses that. They both express that the man doesn't need to come to her.

(EP10) YR: You don't have to come. I should go to bed because I have to get up early tomorrow.
(EP14) JA: Will you greet me happily when we run into each other?

(c) Both scenes are the woman hangs up the phone first.

(EP10) YR: I'm going to hang up.
(EP14) JA: I'm hanging up.

(d) The men are sad and disappointed that they can't meet the women.

(e) Both of the scenes have an "electrified."

Another great insight! I hadn't put these two scenes together. But you're right, DH really wants to go to JA, too, but she won't let him. :tears: And the high synchronization in all the little details, like who called whom and who hung up first...they match up so well.

8 hours ago, actionscript said:

Haha yes, they didn’t hold hands. All they did was a pinky promise. But again, the focus on the hands!

I missed this one! Look at that. I like YR's visible smile in the frame, too. :lol:

~

6. KH helped YR clean up her vomit three times but still loved her. (EP4, EP5, EP11) This corresponds to DH's line in EP15:

:star:

This made me realize there is another set of syncing going on, but with the added element of whether something is secret or public. These are some initial thoughts:

Yu Ra and Ji An's Past Horrible Moments:

- Yu Ra's humiliation was 10 years ago when she failed on Ki Hoon's movie set, and she hasn't recovered from it.

- Ji An killing Kwang Il's father has stayed with her for 7 or 8 years, and she hasn't been able to recover from it.

Show timeline:

Yu Ra vomits three times on the stairs. Her vomit is public and everyone can see it. She can't hide it, and she doesn't even clean it up herself. Ki Hoon does it.

Ji An commits three "crimes" that she keeps hidden as secrets, but eventually they come to light:

1. She steals the bribe money that was sent to Dong Hoon

2. She drugs Park Dong Un and has him kidnapped

3. She wiretaps Dong Hoon

She doesn't reveal any of these secrets to Dong Hoon, but he finds out anyway. And he:

1. Forgives her for stealing the bribe, and even goes to Choon Dae's shack to find out more about JA's past.

2. Is told by DJY that JA is on the run for getting PDU fired, and then DH goes to great lengths to find her, have her confess to the police, and stop her from a life of hiding (and/or jail).

3. Forgives her for the wiretapping and tells her to call him, that it's OK.

Just like Ki Hoon was heavily involved in cleaning up Yu Ra's public vomit, Dong Hoon gets involved in "cleaning up" and helping Ji An out of the messes she has created with these three secret actions.

Yu Ra and Ji An's "comebacks"

Yu Ra's comeback is public, acting in a movie.

Ji An's comeback is in secret (in Busan) but her big reveal to Dong Hoon of her new self is in public, at the coffee shop on a beautiful sunny day. She has come into the light. :wub:

Yu Ra lived a very public life, with her mistakes, vomiting, and her comeback out there for all to see. In that sense she was ahead of Ji An and more in the "real world" than Ji An was. When she re-connected with Ki Hoon and experienced his care for her (and heard his truth about what happened 10 years ago), she could heal and move on.

Ji An lived a secret life with secret actions, but when she met Dong Hoon he really did see and know all of her - even the worst, most harmful actions she committed against him and PDU - and still love her. And in the end she could be in the "real world" with him after her time cocooning in Busan.

• Love 1
  • Insightful 4

Pardon my late response! :sweatingbullets::bashful:

On 2/17/2022 at 12:35 AM, the_sweetroad said:

YAY!!! You're here, @Sandra Navarro! So fun to have you (and @Benz) as recent additions to the thread.

:joy:

Please find the dedicated Lee Sun-kyun thread here:

He gets better with age.

Wow, you were more "advanced" than some of us!

Please keep your thoughts coming!

Thanks @the_sweetroad! So cool to know such forums exist where you can cheer on your favorite actors, I'll make sure to join :D! He surely is getting better! :heart2beat:So full of charm and personality, plus an amazing sense of humor :sparklyeyes:! You can tell I'm in love! :lol:  

On 2/17/2022 at 4:56 AM, actionscript said:

Welcome to the forum, @Sandra Navarro! Your post is soo funny!! Hope your spidey senses would rub off to the non-shippers! :lol:

Yes! Exactly my thoughts! Actually that subway scene plus the fact that Yoon Hee’s very first scene shortly after was of her cheating already got me thinking that the show is definitely setting DH and JA up!

Thanks @actionscript! That would be nice, right? :lol:  The non-shippers would come across a wealth of information if they opened up to the idea! Wow, you caught on super quickly! It's amazing how well PDnim and Writer nim developed and shot PDH's and LJA's budding relationship.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:39 AM, YukawaCattle said:

New friend!!!

Welcome!!!:1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

Did you ever watch Coffee Prince?

I love LSK from then on.

If you haven't watched it, I recommend this drama for you. :blush:

I love him, too. Lol.

I am collecting his cold jokes from the drama. :joy:

Thanks @YukawaCattle! I actually haven't! It's definitely going on my list of dramas to watch. I've only heard his song Ocean Travel. I came across it on Youtube. 

Spoiler

His voice is so calming! I must say, the visuals of dramas from the 2000's decade are super captivating!  You should post PSH's jokes here, if you can! I'd love to see a compilation! :heart4:

On 2/22/2022 at 10:00 PM, YukawaCattle said:

For me, the following list is inspired by @actionscript@africandramalover@oldschooler, and @the_sweetroad. Thanks for their contributions.

(The order of name lists by alphabetical order.)

Reveal hidden contents

[KH vs. DH]

The following is the list.

[Horizontal (Same Episode) high sync.]

-EP4: DH and KH both want to take a stand for SH. The difference is that KH was dragged by DH and didn't really do it, but DH later took a gavel and really went to seek justice.

Maybe the writer wanted to tell the audiences that DH and KH have high synchronization from this point on.
Otherwise, DH's personality before this scene seems to be very moderate.
At least I don't see any impulsive and violent tendencies in his personality before this scene.

-EP4 is the Episode in which YR's room door(?) debuts. YR was still lying in bed, not showing her face, so we could only see her room door. The Episode also happens to be where JA starts to develop a little bit of feeling on DH.

-In EP5, YR wakes up and starts getting close to KH, and the two start to interact. The polt of DH and JA in the current Episode is the "watching the moon" plot. And since that Episode, JA has completely let go of her defense against DH.

In the case of EP4 and EP5, it seems that when YR has not yet woken up, it symbolizes JA's feelings for DH are not yet clear, while after she wakes up, it symbolizes that JA's feelings are clear.

-In EP5, KH starts to face his career failure (YR recalls the past of working with him in movies). DH also starts to face the failure of his marriage in the same Episode. (JA deliberately guides him to a public phone).

-EP6: KH's old colleagues are laughing at him, and they are enemies to him. DH also confirms the existence of his enemies(DJY) in the same Episode.

-EP7: YR meets with KH, SH, and the Ahjussis who live in Hugye for a drink at JH's bar, and she says she loves KH. This corresponds to DH and JA having drinks at the restaurant, then a beer smile occurs, and JA falls in love with DH.

-EP9: KH and SH are fighting. They are grabbing each other's collars, and it looks like they are about to fight. The two of them are fighting with each other, but then YR comes, then KH says something that heals her heart. In the same Episode, DH went to fight with GI, and then DH's words, "I would've done the same thing.," cured JA.

KH: You're pretty. You're really pretty. I mean, a lot. I want you to succeed. And I think you'll do well. I even sometimes think of Notting Hill when I think of you. I imagine how it would feel if you become a top star and come here to visit me one day. I imagine how it would feel if I hear that you quietly came by and had a drink at Jeong-hui's bar when no one was there. I imagine how it would feel if I tell you not to leave. But I tell myself that I should let you go. If I ever get to see you inside a huge screen at a movie theater, I think I'd feel really sad. But I think I'd also be happy. Even if I live a normal life like this, I think that would make my life feel like a movie.

DH: I would've done the same thing. If anyone beats up my family, I would kill them, too!

Meanwhile, when the man is fighting, the woman is running towards him.

-EP11: Please read the high synchronicity described in the article BUY ME SLIPPERS = I LOVE YOU.

-EP12: KH confesses his inner thoughts to YR (the truth about the time he worked the movie with her). At the end of this Episode, DH also confesses to JA what he thinks of himself: "I'm not that nice."

-EP13: YR is being picked on by director An, and the executive director Yoon is picking on JA.

But KH has already prepared an expletive cheat sheet for YR to fight back, while DH wants to seek justice for JA directly. (But he is held back by Head of Section Seo).

-EP16: After DH and JA say goodbye, KH and YR also break up.

-EP16: KH cries vs. DH cries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Vertical (cross-episode) high sync.]

1. EP10 KH's phone call with YR corresponds to EP14 DH&JA's goodbye phone call.

-Similar List-

(a) Both are a man and a woman talking on the phone. Also, the girls initiated the phone call.

(b) Both men want to go to the woman, but the woman refuses that. They both express that the man doesn't need to come to her.

(EP10) YR: You don't have to come. I should go to bed because I have to get up early tomorrow.
(EP14) JA: Will you greet me happily when we run into each other?

(c) Both scenes are the woman hangs up the phone first.

(EP10) YR: I'm going to hang up.
(EP14) JA: I'm hanging up.

(d) The men are sad and disappointed that they can't meet the women.

(e) Both of the scenes have an "electrified."

KH&YR: YR's lines mention this.
DH&JA: DH stands in front of the pole with "ELECTRICAL HAZARD".

2. EP6 KH almost hits YR, after which YR was driven away by KH. EP10 DH hits JA, after which JA decided to leave DH.

Besides, the second pictures are both male on the left and female on the right. 

3. KH and DH both helped the girls they cherished and went to the source of her pain to settle the score.

(EP12) KH vs. Director An.
(EP9) DH vs. GI.

4. Both KH and DH ran to the girl they wanted to see, and both took a cab afterward. [1]

(EP11) KH runs to YR.

(EP15) DH runs to JA.

5. Both KH and DH go to watch a movie when they are sad. (And both for the girls they cherished)

KH is EP16. He broke up with YR at that time.
DH is EP14. JA missed at that time.

6. KH helped YR clean up her vomit three times but still loved her. (EP4, EP5, EP11) This corresponds to DH's line in EP15:

"Once you know someone... Once you really get to know someone, there comes a point where you don't care what they do. And I know you."

7. Both KH and DH drive the girl they cherish.

EP15 KH drives YR back to her home.
EP16 DH drives JA to see her grandmother and to police station.

8. Correct the name call. 

(EP7) KH&YR

YR: See you later at Jeong-hui’s.

KH: Is she your friend to what?

YR: That’s the name of the bar.

KH: Still, you should say, “See you at Ms. Jung’s bar.”

YR: See you at Ms. Jung’s bar.

KH: Forget it.

(EP9) DH& JA

JA: I’d love to see, Do Jun-yeong lose everything and collapse.

DH: Why do you hate him so much? Have you ever even talked to him?

JA: Because you hate him, Mister.

DH: Don’t call me “Mister.” I’m your boss.

9. A: "She likes you." B: "What are you talking about?"

KH is A in (EP2), DH is A in (EP7)

10. Both of them defend each other.

EP6 YR defends for KH vs. EP12 JA defends for DH.

(EP6) YR: Every time we meet, you guys spend 30 minutes curing him out. At least he was truly brilliant one time in his life. How about you guys? Trash.

(EP12) JA: I don't know if I can be criticized for liking someone. Even if I get fired today, I'm going to be grateful for this company and for Mr. Park for treating me like a person for the first time in my life, and for making me think that perhaps I'm a good person. The three months I worked here. It was the warmest time I had in my 21 years of life. Just passing this building by and looking at it makes me happy. I will wish Saman E&C all the best forever. 

EP12 KH defends for YR vs. EP13 DH defends for JA.

(EP12) KH: No, go deeper. Think about what I'm saying to you. I know everything! Only you and I know how awful you are. You realized your scenario sucked only after she acted it out, right? You can't tell when it's on paper. As you shoot the movie, you realize, "it's a bomb." It'll still flop even if Jeon Do-yeon starred in it. Don't try to weasel your way out by giving her hell. Just shoot the film!

(EP13) DH: It wasn't a murder. It was self-defense. She was found innocent. Anyone would've done the same thing if they were in her shoes. You also would've killed him in that situation. And I would've done the same. That's why the judge made a verdict and announced that she's innocent. So I don't get... I don't get why Ms. Lee Ji-an has to go through another trial for that case here. The law even prevents us from viewing this kind of record so that she won't have to go through something like this. So why are you going against the law to dig up her painful past? As much as we all want to forget our pasts, we need to forget about other people's pasts as well. Don't you think so? This is a workplace! Do machines work at a company? No, people do!

11. EP8 YR asks KH if he can hug her (second request for physical contact), and KH hugs her. This corresponds to EP16, where JA asks for a hug, and DH agrees to hug her. [2]

YR asked for body contact twice. (EP7 KH refused YR for the first time.)
And it took two times for JA to hug DH. (The first time happened in EP13 and DH also refused to hug her at that time.)

12. KH and YR are obviously a couple, but the whole drama only shows us them kissing and hugging, not holding hands (they break up at 3/4 of EP16), which is the same state of DH&JA before 3/4 of EP16. (EP3 JA kissed DH. EP16 goodbye hug.) [3]

Notice that it is also YR who took the initiative to kiss KH, but he refused at first because DH was in a bad mood. Later he changed his mind then kissed.
This also corresponds to the fact that it was JA who took the initiative to kiss DH, and then DH refused at that time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-KH vs. DH conclusion-

According to the above observation and the high synchronization of these two groups, we know that the scriptwriter wants to present these two sets are actually in the same situation, that is, PDH also loves LJA, so the loveline exists.

And because KH has started writing the script, it is expected that he and YR will have a follow-up meet and a new start. So according to this high sync., so will DH and JA.

That is, DH and JA will have a new start.

The new page of KH's life will start from now on, and so does DH.

[Reference]

[1] BUY ME SLIPPERS = I LOVE YOU, by @africandramalover from Soompi.

[2] WHY DID DONG HOON TURN DOWN JI AN’S HUG THE FIRST TIME? Please take a look of @Oldschooler's comment.

[3] @the_sweetroad's older post.

[Read more]

THE PARK BROTHERS, by @akhenaten from Soompi.

KI HOON – MOUTHPIECE FOR DONG HOON, by @popai5 and @rellea from Soompi.

YU RA: SPOKESPERSON FOR JI AN, by @the_sweetroad and @actionscript from Soompi.

YU RA’S MOVIE: JI AN’S LIFE IN 65 SECONDS, by @actionscript from Soompi.

Wow, what an insightful list :partyblob:! @YukawaCattle this should go up on the https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/ as a blog post! 

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote images or gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

When I heard this, I felt that it coincided with MM's situation, especially when I organized the Park brothers' scripts. Maybe the MM crew is also using this convention to face their audiences?

We learn something new every day on this thread! Nice! :lol:

Death of the Author does seem to make a lot of sense with MM, especially since they had backlash when they initially published that MM would be a love story. Coupled with Chekhov's Gun, and of course all the clues that so many have found since MM first aired, I think you're right that the MM crew ended up trying to hide their romantic intentions!

Continue with the last post about KH vs. DH, this post will talk about SH vs. DH to complete our understanding of the screenwriter's arrangement for the Park brothers.

Another brilliant breakdown! Thanks for sharing here, too. There are so many details that show how different SH/AR and DH/YH are.

We conclude the above observations as follows.

-SH and AR- 

EP1 Separation → EP8 SH took the initiative to show his sincerity to AR at Omma's birthday party, and AR accepted his goodwill → EP14 The couple duet → EP16 The couple reconciliation

-DH and YH- 

EP1 Still living together → EP8 They didn't interact too much at Omma's birthday party, and they even clashed during the return trip → EP14 DH sang solo → EP16 Separated

YES!!! This is a wonderfully-expressed progression of the development or unraveling of these two relationships! WOW!!

In EP16, after YH suggested divorce, DH would get a divorce and put his heart to rest, just like the lines present in this episode.

This echoes what the bartender said, too, that he couldn't stop thinking about his wife and the other man. If the bartender got a divorce to try to put these thoughts (and his hatred for his wife) to rest, then DH could do it as well, with the bartender and his own thoughts as guides. Nice catch!

SH: (sobbing) There aren't even stars in the sky.

Poor baby. :tears: He's so emotional. It's so endearing.

~

@Sandra Navarro

Other LSK gems I've seen are: Coffee Prince as @YukawaCattle mentioned, Pasta, Listen to Love (also known as This Week, My Wife Is Having An Affair), All About My Wife (movie - very good!), and The Advocate: Missing Body (movie). And of course Parasite. Others on this thread have watched even more and can recommend more gems. :lol:

He's such a versatile actor, able to be both "striker" and "defender" as one article said about him. In MM he's more of a defender but he has moments of being a striker.

~

By the way, for any non-Korean speaker who has been burning with the question, "What in the world is Sang Hoon's daughter's name?" the mystery is solved! It's not listed in Wikipedia, Asianwiki, My Drama List, IMDB or anywhere else since it's such a minor role. In the fanfic I even had to call her only "Sang Hoon's daughter" which didn't feel very good. :wacko::)

But finally I saw that in the wedding scene in Ep 1, the camera shows the wedding sign very briefly:

spacer.png

Using Google Translate and a Korean keyboard on the phone to decipher the sign (is there an easier way to translate text on images??), I figured it says:

Bride's Side

Ceremony: 1 o'clock

Father: Park Sang Hoon

Mother: Jo Ae Ryun

Daughter (in the blue circle): Park Eun Jin

Banquet Hall: 4th Floor

So Park Eun Jin is SH's daughter's name! Yay! Not knowing her name had been bugging me for SO LONG. :joy:

• Love 2
  • Blob 2

11 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Death of the Author does seem to make a lot of sense with MM, especially since they had backlash when they initially published that MM would be a love story. Coupled with Chekhov's Gun, and of course all the clues that so many have found since MM first aired, I think you're right that the MM crew ended up trying to hide their romantic intentions!

Agree with you here! I guess this is the million-dollar question we’ll never get an answer to – how much was changed in the show due to the backlash? :sweatingbullets:

I think from the very start, by design, the love line was really intended to be subtle. I don’t think they could shift a core component of the storytelling from something very evident to something very understated without overhauling practically everything – the script, the scenes, etc.

That’s why for example, all these highly-synchronized characters are there right from the very start. It’s not something that can be changed late in the pre-production stage. So the subtleness, the “death of the author” approach to the storytelling, all these are interwoven to the core to the show right from the very start. I don’t think it’s something that was changed overnight due to the backlash.

What changed in my opinion was, what was a viewer supposed to know before starting the show? Because what expectations you put on the viewers’ minds will frame how they would interpret the scenes and eventually, the story. We’ve seen the original relationship chart that showed the affection line between DH and JA, which was later removed. Before the revision, I think it was intended that a viewer starting the show is supposed to expect the love line between JA and DH. So for example by the time the scenes where DH was showing restraint towards his growing feelings for JA are shown, the viewer would interpret them as such and not misread them as something else.

But since they changed (or practically withheld) what the viewer was supposed to know and expect before starting the show, that’s when people now interpreted all those subtle scenes differently. It became a wild and woolly, to each his own scenario. Anyway, that is just my guess as to what happened. :sweat_smile:

5 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Wow.
I missed that, too.
Thanks for reminding us.
So do you think it can be connected with DH&JA's hand shake in EP16?

(So that KH&YR and DH&JA are high sync in the whole drama on physical contact.)

I’m not sure if the pinky promise between KH and YR is related to the handshake of DH and JA at the end. What's evident was that KH and YR broke what they promised in that pinky swear – that they won’t dump each other. So thinking along that line, what did DH and JA promise each other? They did promise to be happy no matter what. But in lieu of a pinky swear, they sealed that promise by toasting their beer glasses twice – one in ep 7 and another in ep 16. When DH found JA in the shack, he also promised JA the same thing. Arguably, they weren’t really able to keep that promise as well, at least not from that point on when they made the promise.

Has YR did it?

I never notice that. :open_mouth:

Yes, Jung Hee told KH at the bar. It was the scene right after Yura’s movie clip in the post-time skip was shown. So YR passed by Jung Hee's bar hoping to see KH, in the same manner JA passed by Saman hoping to see DH. :wub:

esswY0s.png

I have another idea is that, KH finally going back to doing movies = DH finally restarts his new relationship(with LJA).
Because in EP5, what that both faces can match these two.
(KH faces his failure in the movie industry, and DH faces his failure in the relationship.)
And before the ending, they are both in an unsuitable environment of them.
(KH becomes a cleaning worker, and YH is not suitable for DH.)
DH had already started his new business, after all.
So my take on this equivalent is like this.

Ohh makes sense! The synchronization could indeed be on KH’s career and on DH’s love life. Great catch!!  :partyblob:

• Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

@Sandra Navarro

Other LSK gems I've seen are: Coffee Prince as @YukawaCattle mentioned, Pasta, Listen to Love (also known as This Week, My Wife Is Having An Affair), All About My Wife (movie - very good!), and The Advocate: Missing Body (movie). And of course Parasite. Others on this thread have watched even more and can recommend more gems. :lol:

He's such a versatile actor, able to be both "striker" and "defender" as one article said about him. In MM he's more of a defender but he has moments of being a striker.

Thanks for the list of recommendations @the_sweetroad, I really appreciate it! :heartxoxo:My upcoming weeks are going to fly by watching his body of work! Yes, I can definitely see that ability in him in My Mister and also in interviews where his personality shines through! He has fluidity and serious acting chops B).

Oh, thanks for the link!
I love this song, too.
Yes, his voice is always awesome and perfect. :blush:
And also, it seems like his voice never changed.
When I back to see Coffee Prince(2007), it seems like his voice is just the same in MM(2018).
(And also the same in 2022, lol.)
That's really amazing.
I think it should be changed a little bit, but it is always the same.

No problem! :D

That is interesting to know! I read somewhere that his voice is considered to be The Voice in South Korea. As a result, he probably takes good care of himself to protect it. He has a duty to continue to grace us with his ASMR voice :lol:.

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

Agree with you here! I guess this is the million-dollar question we’ll never get an answer to – how much was changed in the show due to the backlash? :sweatingbullets:

So true! It's a bummer to know the original storyline and script will never be revealed to us :tears:! I continue to question it to this day. But, I picture it's locked and sealed in a safe somewhere. If only the Korean public would've been as receptive to the original drama as noona dramas like My Lovely Sam Soon or Something In The Rain. I guess they are very overprotective of IU, so much so they didn't want her acting roles to change their perception of her. 

• Love 1
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, actionscript said:
9 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

I have another idea is that, KH finally going back to doing movies = DH finally restarts his new relationship(with LJA).
Because in EP5, what that both faces can match these two.
(KH faces his failure in the movie industry, and DH faces his failure in the relationship.)
And before the ending, they are both in an unsuitable environment of them.
(KH becomes a cleaning worker, and YH is not suitable for DH.)
DH had already started his new business, after all.
So my take on this equivalent is like this.

Ohh makes sense! The synchronization could indeed be on KH’s career and on DH’s love life. Great catch!!  :partyblob:

spacer.png

Actually,KH was writing something in the autumn, 2018. I guess it was a script. And it was not success so he ripped it off.

This whole KH plot is full of various metaphors, but I'm not quite sure what exactly is being referred to.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

20 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:
On 2/23/2022 at 11:22 PM, the_sweetroad said:

Great insight. I've never thought about this before! Also, Yu Ra is kind of messy when we first meet her, and I guess Ji An's internal state and life are a bit "messy" as well.

Indeed!

This is an insightful observation. 

This goes back to @actionscript's thought, that when we first see Yu Ra's apartment (in Ep 5?) the camera focuses on all the junk she has everywhere. But then they only show YR in her bedroom. So his insight was that YR and JA are both a bit messy in the beginning of the show, but they let their men into their inner rooms/ thoughts/ heart. I need to go back and find it.

It seems that KWS said in the Blu-ray director's edition,

"Divorce is not something that happens so quickly, but it's all presented here (the photo on DH's desk), so the rest is for the audience to imagine."

Whoa! Did KWS say this? So he confirmed that the divorce was presented through DH's desk photos at the end?

I think this is one of the red herrings. The audience has to look at the color to understand his emotions. (The thought of going home may not have much joy, but he still interacts well with his wife on the surface)

Oooh, nice insight. I think you're right, DH talking so normally and kindly to Yoon Hee is a red herring that makes the audience think they might move forward together. But the fact that she asked for beer, and the color tone change means that he was much more emotional when he was hugging JA goodbye.

So all the platforms didn't translate her name?

Poor Eun Jin.

They did not!! I should have just asked everyone what her name was! You guys had the answer. :lol: Thanks for DH's father's name, too - that's good to know.

15 hours ago, actionscript said:

I think from the very start, by design, the love line was really intended to be subtle. I don’t think they could shift a core component of the storytelling from something very evident to something very understated without overhauling practically everything – the script, the scenes, etc.

That’s why for example, all these highly-synchronized characters are there right from the very start. It’s not something that can be changed late in the pre-production stage. So the subtleness, the “death of the author” approach to the storytelling, all these are interwoven to the core to the show right from the very start. I don’t think it’s something that was changed overnight due to the backlash.

Great point. You're right, for the writing and story to be that tight they would have to have planned all those elements from the beginning. Maybe they had to drive a few things underground (especially the viewers' initial expectations, like you said) but all the sync points were there and that would have been very difficult to add in or subtract out.

It became a wild and woolly, to each his own scenario

:joy: MM is a wonderful, tightly-written, tightly-acted, masterpiece of a story. But the larger MM world surrounding the show is just a chaotic Wild Wild West.

Yes, Jung Hee told KH at the bar. It was the scene right after Yura’s movie clip in the post-time skip was shown.

I love Jung Hee's tone here, when she tells KH that Yu Ra dropped by. I interpret it as her saying, "Ya, what are you doing. Can't you tell she still wants you? And I know you still like her, too. Get your act together, boi." (And yes, the "boi" is on purpose. :lol:)

14 hours ago, Sandra Navarro said:

My upcoming weeks are going to fly by watching his body of work! Yes, I can definitely see that ability in him in My Mister and also in interviews where his personality shines through! He has fluidity and serious acting chops.

The guys on this thread can see that we ladies ALL think LSK is so gifted. :wub: They can talk more of their love for IU if they want. I don't feel like we hear as much of that. :D I forgot one more LSK gem I've watched : A Hard Day, for which he won a Baeksang award! It's a very well-done movie. I really liked it, though it's a bit violent.

10 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

This whole KH plot is full of various metaphors, but I'm not quite sure what exactly is being referred to.

Are you referring to the KH plot during the time skip? That would be interesting to analyze. I thought it was always about revisiting the theme of Yu Ra's embarrassment that he was a cleaner and not a PDnim, but you're right, there might be more to it than that.

Also, everyone, about the MM writer Park Hae Young....she has a new drama coming out soon! It's called My Liberation Diary, and this is the plot synopsis:

• Plot: The story of three siblings who want to escape their stifling lives and a mysterious outsider who comes to their town.

The teaser was just released. If anyone wants to follow along in that thread (since we know her writing is so good!) here it is:

By the way, isn't it interesting that most of the screenwriters for kdramas are women?

• LOL 2