[Web Chinese Drama 2017] A Love So Beautiful 致我们单纯的小美好

0ly40

5 minutes ago, zoeraindasher said:

You can use a file sharing service like Mediafire, Zippyshare or Box.Not really sure about the technical details about posting the zip file directly into this thread. But if you've uploaded it to Zippyshare or Mediafire or any other file sharing service, I think there'll be a link to the file you can share or paste directly here.

@zoeraindasher hmmm okay, i'll try. when im done, i'll post it hehehehe wait yeah :)

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@zoeraindasherahhhh ic ic.... that's right i forgot about the copyright thing. hmmmm im not sure about that too. is there any admin that can help me? hmmm.... i'll wait till someone can reply me. havent got any apps that can help me download the mp3 though, i'll try another method. if someone can help me how to do the copyright thing for ost then i'll try to post it then. thank you for reminded me. hehehe.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:30 AM, Daesung86 said:

omg.... im so hopefully u can help us to translate the novel too, hehehe..... seems google translate is not helping me so much. the translation seems misplace and i can only understand after watching the drama and match the meaning between the scenes on the drama and novel.

But thank you so much for the epilogue translation..... you're da' best :D:heart:

So glad you enjoyed the epilogue -- I found it really cute.  As for the rest of the novel, unfortunately, my Chinese reading skills are limited to basic level so an entire novel is beyond my capabilities.  :(  I'm just as disappointed -- I'd love to read the novel as well, but I think it'd take me a really, really, really long time to translate!

On 12/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, zoeraindasher said:

And this is why I'm praying really hard for a Season 2. . . . On the other hand... I wish we had more post-reunion eps of our OTP. It could feel like fanservice but aaaaargh it's not enough! I'm suffering from A Love So Beautiful withdrawals here.

Also, did anyone else notice that Lu Yang's name is saved differently in everybody's phonebooks? Some people saved him as 陆杨 and others saved his name as 路杨.

Sorry, @zoeraindasher, my turn to cut your post!

I agree, the college/adult years felt really rushed, especially in light of how many episodes were spent in the high school years.  (I was actually convinced for a really long time that we would have a second season, especially when we got to ep 17 and were still in high school.  But alas...)  I wouldn't change the pacing of the high school years, but oh, to have another ep or two of them in their adult years.  That would be delicious!  

The withdrawal pangs are real.  I feel them too!  :lol:

Actually, what I really want -- especially in light of JC's epilogue monologue -- is an entire retelling of the drama from JC's perspective.  Hahaha.  Can you imagine how fun and interesting that would be?  I always love when are given glimpses into his head, like that one epilogue scene where XX's mom asks him if there's any boy that XX likes or is particularly close to.  I just love how the entire time he stands there and is basically, "Me!  Me!  It's me!"  LOL.  So yeah, to be able to watch the drama unfold from JC's eyes, I think that would be really lovely. 

As for Lu Yang's name, I did not notice that but scenes of phone screens usually flash by too quickly for me to catch what's written there.  I think in the subs they use the 路 character for his last name.

8 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

Rewatching ep 23 for the third time now hahaha. BTW, does anyone else think it's weird that the senior from their university is now Xiao Xi's boss? Like, wasn't he from Jiang Chen's faculty? Wasn't he studying medicine? Why is it that he's now running a design company?

And also.. the whole WBS becoming a celeb thing.. Couldn't they have mentioned how he still had shoulder problems and couldn't continue swimming professionally and decided to enter the entertainment industry instead? Aaargghh, scriptwriters! 

More replies to your posts... I did think the whole senior thing becoming XX's boss weird for the exact reasons you mentioned.  The only thing I can think of is maybe he applied through the medical faculty and then switched to another one later one?!  When I was doing some online googling to see how much doctors earned in China (to comment on a previous post in this thread), it sounded like that was actually a fairly common occurrence in China.  But I also feel like that's a bit of a post-hoc rationalization for the Boss''s transformation.  :tongue:  It'd have been nice if the drama connected the dots for us instead.

WBS's transformation to a celebrity, on the other hand, seemed plausible to me and I didn't need any of those dots connected for me.  I always assumed with the injury he sustained, his athletic career was operating on borrowed time.  In fact, I was more surprised by the fact that he was able to return to swimming and keep on competing even while the others were in college.  I was sure his shoulder would give out on him before that as it'd been described as severe and potentially career-ending.  Given that he was able to continue though, and we saw that him successfully win a gold medal, I can totally see (even if it was not shown to us) how he may have gotten some endorsement deals as an gold-medal winning athlete and then have that transform into a full-blown modeling career after he had to give up his swimming career.

4 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

BTW.. how can Xiao Xi afford to rent such a nice apartment? Okay... even if she didn't buy the furniture and it came fully furnished.. the rent for that apartment must be quite high.. Like that's a really nice pad. For 1 person, that place is quite spacious. Didn't she like not get paid for 2 months? How does the show's logic work? Anyone else thinking about this issue? 

THIS.  I have had this thought so many times in watching the adult year episodes.  Hahaha.  I don't think she's making that much in her current job to have as nice (and large) an apartment as she does.  But ah, drama logic, it doesn't always follow.  So I just chuckle, shake my head, and move on.  At least she and JC will have a nice place to live in after they get married?  :wink: 

Omg. Episode 22 broke my heart! Jiang chan's feelings... boy's feelings run so deep. He really spoke from his heart, he loves her so much and needs her so much. I think xioxi could survive without him somehow, but not Jiang chan. Despite appearances, he has always needed her more than she has needed him. She has been his closest confidant and childhood friend, while xioxi had wu bo song, Lin jing xiao, etc. Boy pretty much broke my heart with what he said. And Wu bu song, ahh... This is a classic example of heart wants what it wants, you just can't force your feelings. Wu bu song and xioxi both get along so well and are best of friends, yet, xioxi's heart always had Jiang chan in it and she just couldn't develop such romantic feelings for Wu bu song.

And I have to commend xioxi on maintaining such a firm stance in regards to Jiang chan. She didn't run abandoning everything to Jiang chan the minute he appeared. She truly matured and had a major character development while still maintaining her lovable personality. I know people had the impression of her being a boy crazy heroine like the MC of it started with a kiss. But, the major difference here is that xioxi while growing up and even after growing up didn't base her dreams on Jiang chan. She had own ideas about her life, relationships, and dreams and she stuck to them. She didn't compromise and abandon them just for the sake of Jiang chan. It shows that despite her chasing Jiang chan in her earlier years, with maturity, as she said she would have eventually fallen in love with someone else and moved on if he hadn't appeared again. Though that would have WAY WAY WAY hard because he is been her one and only love for ever. But, I think it could have been possible. Alright, I'm done with my little rant here. lol. 

Really well said @tigro -- I concur with your entire post, and I think another example that proves XX's life didn't always revolve around JC was that scene when he was in uni and she was studying to retake the exam.  He called her one night and she was basically, "What do you have to say, you were the one to call me?" and when he said, "Fine, I'm hanging up," she was all, "Okay, I gotta go work on my art anyway."  It was the first time JC had been so thoroughly dismissed, and he responded by kicking the low wall.  LOL.  I know XX wasn't the best of students but I truly believe she was just waiting to find a subject that interested her.  Once she did, she threw her heart and soul into that. 

For those of you who've been waiting for subs for the last ep, Episode 23 was just posted this morning.  Happy watching!!!

Finally, tomorrow we get our special episode -- I wonder what it will be?  If it's BTS, they better be some amazing ones because we've already been getting BTS videos along the way.  :tongue: 

Now everything has come to an end.FInally after a long wait i finsihed all the episodes.I’m gonna miss the intro song and the undeniable chemistry of the leads.I was smiling from ear to ear.Jiang chen and xiao xi have a natural chemistry.Though the uni days are actually rushed but the reunion scene exceeded my expectations.They had great start as newbies in the industry.I just fell in love with their characters and the story.At first,i though it was similar to Itazura na Kiss and at that time when the trailer was released i was watching the japanese version.Though there were some similiraties but kotoko and xiao xi are too in different .kotoko actually wanted to be a nurse for irie but xiao xi knew what she tre truly wants and dreams to be a  comic artist.Jiang chen is actually not that cold but he has a heart of gold.None of these characters actually exist in real life. I can’t help but think if a guy like this exist now.They are just cute that i was laughing and smiling from beginning to end.The entire story telling shows jiang chen’s real feelings about xiao xi.

EP 23 was cuteness overload that i want to rewatch it again and again.

Jing Jing and Lu yang act as mediators between the love triangle.They have chemistry as well and the wedding actually was quite romantic,

Wu bu song actually would find a girl who will fall head over heels on him.Dr.Su might be that girl.I had an instinct that they might end up together.Or even Li wei she was so pretty.But now  i’ll choose Dr.Su.i think they match well with Wu bu song judging his personality.

i would also like to thank the translation team for bringing us so much happiness.You know how thankful I am for making me so happy.One of the struggles while watching the show was patiently waiting for the subtitles.I wanna learn Mandarin now.

P.S. i can’t remember what xiao xi exaclty like about jiang chen? 

I haven’t watched the BTS because i just want to keep that rawness while watching the drama.

Love is indeed beautiful

Now i think there’s still a possibility that your crush will eventually like you.HAHAAAAAA

10 hours ago, susielollieantibashers said:

Now everything has come to an end.FInally after a long wait i finsihed all the episodes.I’m gonna miss the intro song and the undeniable chemistry of the leads.I was smiling from ear to ear.Jiang chen and xiao xi have a natural chemistry.Though the uni days are actually rushed but the reunion scene exceeded my expectations.They had great start as newbies in the industry.I just fell in love with their characters and the story.At first,i though it was similar to Itazura na Kiss and at that time when the trailer was released i was watching the japanese version.Though there were some similiraties but kotoko and xiao xi are too in different .kotoko actually wanted to be a nurse for irie but xiao xi knew what she tre truly wants and dreams to be a  comic artist.Jiang chen is actually not that cold but he has a heart of gold.None of these characters actually exist in real life. I can’t help but think if a guy like this exist now.They are just cute that i was laughing and smiling from beginning to end.The entire story telling shows jiang chen’s real feelings about xiao xi.

EP 23 was cuteness overload that i want to rewatch it again and again.

Jing Jing and Lu yang act as mediators between the love triangle.They have chemistry as well and the wedding actually was quite romantic,

Wu bu song actually would find a girl who will fall head over heels on him.Dr.Su might be that girl.I had an instinct that they might end up together.Or even Li wei she was so pretty.But now  i’ll choose Dr.Su.i think they match well with Wu bu song judging his personality.

i would also like to thank the translation team for bringing us so much happiness.You know how thankful I am for making me so happy.One of the struggles while watching the show was patiently waiting for the subtitles.I wanna learn Mandarin now.

P.S. i can’t remember what xiao xi exaclty like about jiang chen? 

I haven’t watched the BTS because i just want to keep that rawness while watching the drama.

Love is indeed beautiful

Now i think there’s still a possibility that your crush will eventually like you.HAHAAAAAA

In the drama, Xiao Xi told Jing Jing the reason why she like JC. She said it was from the day when she saw how heartwarming he is towards a little boy. The little boy wanted to buy the pack of markers but didn't have enough money so JC bought it for him. 

I was pondering this part for a while. I felt because Xiao Xi grew up with JC and see/know how cold and arrogant he has been, but when she came upon the day that he was heartwarming, it touched her sincerely. She even said back then, liking someone was just that simple. 

Yea, this drama is different from ISWAK. Xiao Xi isn't stupid. She's just not interested in school. However, she has a talent for drawing, whereas Kotoko is not good with anything. She has no special talents and just falls head over heels for Naoki. Her life and goals revolved around Naoki. It was fun to watch though, but I still prefer Xiao Xi more. At least, Xiao Xi knows she has a dream to become a comic artist. 

I'm having trouble letting these two go, so I've taken to writing short fics... something to help tide us over until the next drama comes along.  Thought I'd share here; hope you all like it!

-------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast Love

When the alarm on her phone sounded, Chen Xiao Xi grumbled still half asleep and reached out to whack it silent like she did every morning.  Except this morning, instead of whacking the glass screen of her phone, her hand touched something infinitely warmer, softer, and human-like. 

Feeling around, and with one eye still closed, she pried her other eye open long enough to know that it was Jiang Chen she was touching.  The shock of seeing her husband lying next to her in bed was enough to have Xiao Xi scrambling into a seated position.  When she’d gone to bed the night before, she’d done so alone.  Jiang Chen had been scheduled to work the night shift and she’d fully expected him to sleep over at the hospital.  She was used to that by now, which was why she was so surprised to find him next to her.

Now fully awake, Xiao Xi whispered his name and poked him in between each time.  “Jiang Chen.  Jiang Chen.  Jiaaaaaang Cheeeeen.”

With each poke, her husband just smacked his lips and dug a little deeper into the covers until he finally rolled over away from her completely.

Xiao Xi gave up at that point, and pouted.  But only for a minute.  Because that’s when she realized that for once, she was awake when Jiang Chen was not!

Xiao Xi couldn’t remember a time when that had ever happened before.  She was a night owl who liked to sleep in after a night of watching dramas, playing games on her phone, or reading manga books, and usually it was Jiang Chen who was dragging her out of bed.  But today, he was the slugabed!

Xiao Xi glanced at the time on her phone and realized that since she’d woken up with the first alarm, she had about an extra hour’s worth of time that morning.  She decided to surprise Jiang Chen by cooking him breakfast. 

As Xiao Xi brushed her teeth and dressed, she kept looking over at the bed and giggling to herself.  Jiang Chen would be so surprised when he woke up to the smells of a delicious breakfast! 

With excitement and anticipation, Xiao Xi brushed her hair and put on her makeup, all the while planning out the breakfast menu in her head.  Should she make bread?  No, too simple.  How about congee?  No, there probably wasn’t enough time for that.  Maybe eggs?  Jiang Chen liked eggs.  Would an omelet be too hard to make?

Xiao Xi didn’t have a lot of experience in the breakfast department.  Since Jiang Chen was typically up before her, in addition to making sure she woke up in time for work, he was the one who prepared their breakfasts.  Even when he had to stay over at the hospital, he’d make sure to keep their kitchen cupboards stocked with bread or cereal for her. 

Xiao Xi couldn’t wait to finally return the favor.

But then she opened their bedroom door and came to a full stop.

There, at the kitchen table, was a full breakfast laid out.  Most of it was still in the take-out containers they’d come in, but next to the bag containing cups of soy milk and boxes of pork buns, Jiang Chen had laid out a plate, a pair of chopsticks, and a napkin. 

He’d also left a note:

I got home around 4:30 am and don’t have to go to the hospital until the afternoon, so don’t try and wake me up in the morning.  I bought breakfast on the way home.  It’ll be cold by the time you see this.  Don’t be lazy and make sure to heat it in the microwave.  Eating cold food is bad for you. 

(I figured you’d try and make me breakfast if you woke up and saw me next to you.  I didn’t want to be woken up by any fire alarms.)

Xiao Xi put the note back down on the table and wrinkled her nose at it.  It wasn’t fair.  How did he always know her so well?

The End

Some reporters caught Hu Yi Tian auditioning for the lead role of Zhang Wu Ji in the martial arts drama Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre...don't know how much versions by now....last one was in 2009 acted by Deng Chao.

Final bts, eng sub.

*update : in above clip, the bgm/song is 年少有你 (loosely translated as My Youth has You) by 李易峰 Li Yi Feng, an actor, he sang it for a 2015 movie.

4 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I'm having trouble letting these two go, so I've taken to writing short fics... something to help tide us over until the next drama comes along.  Thought I'd share here; hope you all like it!

-------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast Love

When the alarm on her phone sounded, Chen Xiao Xi grumbled still half asleep and reached out to whack it silent like she did every morning.  Except this morning, instead of whacking the glass screen of her phone, her hand touched something infinitely warmer, softer, and human-like. 

Feeling around, and with one eye still closed, she pried her other eye open long enough to know that it was Jiang Chen she was touching.  The shock of seeing her husband lying next to her in bed was enough to have Xiao Xi scrambling into a seated position.  When she’d gone to bed the night before, she’d done so alone.  Jiang Chen had been scheduled to work the night shift and she’d fully expected him to sleep over at the hospital.  She was used to that by now, which was why she was so surprised to find him next to her.

Now fully awake, Xiao Xi whispered his name and poked him in between each time.  “Jiang Chen.  Jiang Chen.  Jiaaaaaang Cheeeeen.”

With each poke, her husband just smacked his lips and dug a little deeper into the covers until he finally rolled over away from her completely.

Xiao Xi gave up at that point, and pouted.  But only for a minute.  Because that’s when she realized that for once, she was awake when Jiang Chen was not!

Xiao Xi couldn’t remember a time when that had ever happened before.  She was a night owl who liked to sleep in after a night of watching dramas, playing games on her phone, or reading manga books, and usually it was Jiang Chen who was dragging her out of bed.  But today, he was the slugabed!

Xiao Xi glanced at the time on her phone and realized that since she’d woken up with the first alarm, she had about an extra hour’s worth of time that morning.  She decided to surprise Jiang Chen by cooking him breakfast. 

As Xiao Xi brushed her teeth and dressed, she kept looking over at the bed and giggling to herself.  Jiang Chen would be so surprised when he woke up to the smells of a delicious breakfast! 

With excitement and anticipation, Xiao Xi brushed her hair and put on her makeup, all the while planning out the breakfast menu in her head.  Should she make bread?  No, too simple.  How about congee?  No, there probably wasn’t enough time for that.  Maybe eggs?  Jiang Chen liked eggs.  Would an omelet be too hard to make?

Xiao Xi didn’t have a lot of experience in the breakfast department.  Since Jiang Chen was typically up before her, in addition to making sure she woke up in time for work, he was the one who prepared their breakfasts.  Even when he had to stay over at the hospital, he’d make sure to keep their kitchen cupboards stocked with bread or cereal for her. 

Xiao Xi couldn’t wait to finally return the favor.

But then she opened their bedroom door and came to a full stop.

There, at the kitchen table, was a full breakfast laid out.  Most of it was still in the take-out containers they’d come in, but next to the bag containing cups of soy milk and boxes of pork buns, Jiang Chen had laid out a plate, a pair of chopsticks, and a napkin. 

He’d also left a note:

I got home around 4:30 am and don’t have to go to the hospital until the afternoon, so don’t try and wake me up in the morning.  I bought breakfast on the way home.  It’ll be cold by the time you see this.  Don’t be lazy and make sure to heat it in the microwave.  Eating cold food is bad for you. 

(I figured you’d try and make me breakfast if you woke up and saw me next to you.  I didn’t want to be woken up by any fire alarms.)

Xiao Xi put the note back down on the table and wrinkled her nose at it.  It wasn’t fair.  How did he always know her so well?

The End

very nice... thanks for this.. it helps with the withdrawal problem...

(off-topic...)

just realized that Hu Yi Tian will be perfect as Xu Mo Ting in Best to have met you.... (anyone here read that novel yet?) novel rights was bought by Huang Xiaoming... hope he notice Yi Tian and cast him for the lead role...

Watched the finale 2X and I can't get over it! I'm gonna miss this Drama so much. It still feels like a upgraded version of Itazura Na Kiss. Like I've mentioned before in this version we get to see a broken Jiang Chen with separation/trust issues who gets "healed" by Xiao Xi's bubbliness. 

I like that the Drama had Jiang Chen more fleshed out in ep. so he's not just this cold, aloof character. I just wish the writers did the same for Xiao Xi, her reasons for loving Jiang Chen remains vague to me. I feel bad for Bo Song he is so worthy of being loved too but I admire he accepted that Xiao Xi would never reciprocate his feelings & chose to be mature about it. 

This is definitely added onto my already growing list of C-Drama favorites! China's been truly stepping up their game lately. 

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Any word on the epilogue that got posted today?!

I've found only two snippets, but I want to watch the whole thing!

ETA: Nevermind! Found the clip to watch! Yay...

The only one I saw was a 26 minute video of I believed the time when JC and XX were in their 1st year of high school. Was that the one you saw?

I thought there's another one because on tecent website, they have ep 24 and 25. Which one did you watch? 

5 hours ago, RealityDream said:

The only one I saw was a 26 minute video of I believed the time when JC and XX were in their 1st year of high school. Was that the one you saw?

I thought there's another one because on tecent website, they have ep 24 and 25. Which one did you watch? 

That's the same one I watched, and that's the only video I've seen related to the special online.  (I've checked several of the other usual online sites and each one only has that one video.)  Not sure what the second one might be about?  But from nuomi's twitter (she's one of the translators), I gathered that Tencent had also released BTS footage yesterday.  So maybe that's what the second episode was about?

nuomi said she'd translate any special so I guess we can wait and see what she ends up posting.

Finally, I checked her twitter this morning and she updated that someone has started translating the novel.  I know many of us were interested in reading it so this is fantastic news!  Link directly below:

https://teaquilashot.wordpress.com/2017/12/15/a-love-so-beautiful-chapter-1/

As I've mentioned before, the mp3 has been a sticking point for me.  I hate that there was never any follow-up and we never got to see if XX ever learned about it.  Since I started writing fanfic for this drama, I decided to take matters into my own hands and now we get to finally see XX learning about JC's sweet message all those years ago.  :tongue: 

I hope my version of the events satisfies yours as well! 

(P.S. I put the story behind a cut because the post would otherwise be unduly long.)

---------------------------------------

Mp3 Love

Spoiler

Shortly after they married, Jiang Chen arrived home one evening to find Chen Xiao Xi struggling to carry a large box up the stairs.  Seeing her climb the front steps to their apartment building, he quickly shuffled his backpack onto both his shoulders and ran to catch up to her.  She’d just reached main door when he took over.

“Oh, Jiang Chen!  Thank goodness, you’re here!” she said, when she looked over and saw him.  “You can help me with this box.”

“You should’ve waited for me,” he told her.

“I didn’t know when you’d be home.”

Jiang Chen bent over to heft the box into his arms and asked, “What is it?”

“I don’t know.”  Xiao Xi hit the button in the lobby to call the elevator.  “But I got a text from your mother this morning.  She said she was sending over some of your things.  This must be it.”

As they waited for the elevator to arrive, Jiang Chen narrowed his eyes at his new wife and asked, “Why is my mother texting you?” 

Xiao Xi stepped into the elevator and waited for her husband to follow before hitting the number for their floor.  She shrugged.  “She probably didn’t want to disturb you at the hospital.”

“Does she text you often?”

“What?  Are you afraid your mother’s being a scary mommy-in-law?”

“I just don’t want her bothering you all the time.”

“She doesn’t and it’s fine.  Stop worrying about it.”  Xiao Xi unlocked their front door and held the door open for Jiang Chen since he was still carrying the large box.

Inside, he set the box down on the kitchen table and went to change out of his work clothes.  Xiao Xi, who was infinitely less patient than her husband, and curious to know what her mother-in-law might have sent them, immediately retrieved a box cutter and went to work on the package.  She’d already started pawing through the contents by the time Jiang Chen returned from their bedroom.

“What’d she send?” he asked.

“It looks like things you’ve kept from high school.  Why did you keep so many of your notebooks?” 

Xiao Xi had already stacked a pile of them next to the box, and Jiang Chen picked one of them up to thumb through it.  “You never know when you might need it.  What’d you do with yours?”

“What else?  I threw them away as soon as we graduated.”

“That explains so much,” Jiang Chen said, putting the notebook back down.  “What else is in there?”

“Look!”  With excitement, Xiao Xi lifted out a headband with a giant polka-dotted bow on top. 

“What is that?” Jiang Chen feigned ignorance.

“It’s the headband I made you wear when I participated in that hurdles race.”

“I don’t know why I still have that.”

“You never know when you might need it?” Xiao Xi smirked.

Jiang Chen answered her by scowling and bumping her out of the way.  He them dug through the box himself and came up with the paperwork for his entrance examination into Tsinghua University.  Jiang Chen rolled his eyes.  Trust his mother to still have all that stuff.  All these years later, and she still hadn’t let the matter go.  Jiang Chen immediately set the paperwork aside to be shredded later.

“What else did you find?” Xiao Xi called to him, having finally gone to change out of her own work clothes.

“Huh.  I thought I’d lost this.” 

“Lost what?” Xiao Xi asked, walking back into the living room just in time to see Jiang Chen pull out a little mini recording device with its cord of headphones trailing behind.  “Oh, that.”

“I wonder where my mom found it.  I thought I’d lost it years ago.”

Xiao Xi went to sit on the couch and picked a magazine off of the coffee table, clearly uninterested in the latest find.  Although that wasn’t entirely accurate either because there was a part of her that was interested in the mp3 player. 

“Why were you looking for it?”

Jiang Chen kept fiddling with the device.  “I wasn’t really.  It’s just that remember how I used to always study to my music?  Well, one day, I think I was in college by then, I noticed I didn’t have it anymore.  It was like I couldn’t even remember when I’d stopped listening to it.”

Xiao Xi narrowed her eyes at her husband.  Was he for real?  Could he really not remember when and how the mp3 player had left his possession?

She rolled up her sleeves and had a feeling she was about to find out.

“Of course you didn’t have it anymore.  You gave it away, don’t you remember that?”

Jiang Chen looked at her a little funny.  “What are you talking about?”

Xiao Xi crossed her arms.  “Are you really going to make me say it?”

“Why are you so angry right now?”

“Because back in high school, you gave that mp3 player to Li Wei, when it should’ve been me!” 

This time it was Jiang Chen’s turn to be stunned.  “But I did give it to you.  Didn’t I?”  When Xiao Xi continued to stare at him, he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.  “During the bird flu incident, right?  That’s what you’re talking about?  I did give it to you and then you returned it to me later.  I lost the mp3 player after that.”

“During the bird flu incident, you gave the mp3 player to Li Wei.  How could you forget something like this?”  As Xiao Xi burst into tears, all Jiang Chen could think was something must have gone horribly wrong.

“Wait a minute,” he told her, trying to calm down.  “I’m confused and I’m not likely to forget something like this.  I know you used to think Li Wei and I had a thing, but I also thought I’d made it clear a long time ago I was never interested in her.  So why would I give my mp3 player to Li Wei?”

Xiao Xi sniffled into a tissue.  “All I remember is that on the day of the bird flu incident, after I was locked away in the infirmary and Li Wei later joined me, the doctor who sent her in then handed her a mp3 player and told her that you’d given it to him to pass on to her.”

Jiang Chen was not a person who was easily surprised, but this one time, his jaw did drop.  “Are you serious?”

“Do you think I’d joke about something like this?”

“That mp3 player was for you!” 

“What?”

“I recorded a message for you.  YOU.  I didn’t want you to be scared in the infirmary by yourself.  I’ve always thought you got the message because several days later, the mp3 player returned to my desk.  I thought you’d left it there for me.”

“Do you think I would’ve returned something once given to me from you?”

“That’s true . . .”

“Then how did Li Wei get it instead?”

Jiang Chen thought back to all those years ago.  “I told the doctor to give it to Chen Xiao Xi, and when he asked who that was, I told him the girl who’d been locked away in the infirmary.  He must’ve assumed I meant Li Wei instead of you.  All these years . . . I can’t believe it.”

“Then what did the message say?”

“Hold on, let’s see if we can find its charger.”

They dug through the box together and when they found the charge cord, they plugged the mp3 player in.  After dinner, when the mp3 player had been sufficiently charged, they sat down together to listen to Jiang Chen’s message:

Chen Xiao Xi, don’t be scared.  Up until now, there haven’t been any cases of bird flu being transmitted from humans to human, so I thought I’d tell you how it’s transmitted.  First, it’s spread through feces.  Second, it’s spread through . . .

When his voice was cut off by the sounds of a toilet being flushed, and the message ended, Xiao Xi looked incredulously at her husband.

“What?”

“I think maybe it’s better I never got that message.”

The End

Archived