[Web Chinese Drama 2017] A Love So Beautiful 致我们单纯的小美好

0ly40

14 hours ago, BaiPinTing said:

OMG now I want to see it. Someone please link us to the video.

Here you go!  Not subbed though:

13 hours ago, ellaine120 said:

Will this be your last story????pls say no...we are not yet ready

No, I'll admit the inspiration is slowing down these days, but there are a few more stories in me yet that I'd like to try and tell.  Have hope!  In the meantime, I really appreciate all the love and support you have all shown for my stories both here and at AFF.  Thanks, guys.  You're the best!  :heart:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! :) I don't usually watch C dramas, but after getting so many recommendations from my friends to watch this show, I finally started it this past weekend. I know I'm super late watching it, but I'm glad that I did. And can I just say that I adore it so much. :heart:

There's something so pure and natural about the leads' chemistry to me. Not to mention that height difference is super cute. :wub: The 5 characters' friendship is great too. I found it so sweet when everyone tried so hard to get Xiao Xi those Manchester United tickets just because she wanted them for her birthday. Then the next episode when they found out Lu Yang is being bullied so they share their own embarrassing stories, I found that super sweet :wub: I know it'll be Jiang Chen and Xiao Xi in the end, and I can see Jing Xiao and Lu Yang ending up together, but what about Wu Bo Song? I also feel for the second lead. I hope he'll get a happy ending too. 

Another thing I like are the epilogues at the end of each episode. My fav so far is when Xiao Xi puts the headband on Jiang Chen. That was way too adorable. 

I'm 10 episodes in and it's a very easy watch and an easy show to love. Looking forward to watching the rest of this show. :)

Welcome, welcome, @justlove!  So glad you decided to listen to your friends' recommendations!  It's a really great drama.

I'm happy to update that after making my friend watch the drama, she also loved it.  We started it together last weekend and then she zoomed through the middle eps on her own.  She was good though.  She held off on watching the remaining three eps, so we could watch them together, and just rewatched the middle eps instead.  This past weekend, we reconvened to finish the drama and... perfection!  The ending never gets old, and my friend couldn't get enough of it.  It was great.

My friend did some googling last night and discovered that the actor playing the school doctor is actually several years younger than the actor playing Jiang Chen.  :o  Like, how?!  I've looked up the school doctor before but I never thought to look at how old he was because he always looked older than the others.  Kudos to the drama on successfully pulling that off, I suppose.  LOL.  Anyway, that was a fun bit o' trivia I thought I'd share.  :wink: 

16 hours ago, themarchioness said:

My friend did some googling last night and discovered that the actor playing the school doctor is actually several years younger than the actor playing Jiang Chen.  :o  Like, how?!  I've looked up the school doctor before but I never thought to look at how old he was because he always looked older than the others.  Kudos to the drama on successfully pulling that off, I suppose.  LOL.  Anyway, that was a fun bit o' trivia I thought I'd share.  :wink: 

The actor as the school doctor is Zhang He Hao Zhen. Think he got 2 surnames...probably of both dad and mum's, in China, some ppl name like this.

Born in 1996. 21yo. Ya, he look more mature than the rest....but is younger than the other male leads.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/张何昊臻

For comparison, the others :

Hu Yi Tian as Jiang Chen. Born in Dec 1993. 24yo.

Shen Yue as Chen Xiao Xi, b1997, 20yo.

Gao Zhi Ting as Wu Bo Song, b1995, 22yo.

Wang Zi Wei as Lin Jing Xiao, b1996, 21yo.

Sun Ning as Lu Yang, b1994, 23yo. * he look the most kid-like but is the 2nd oldest...haha.

@themarchioness It really is great so far! I'm enjoying every moment of it. :) I want to backread and catch up on this thread, but I feel like I'll hit too many spoilers so I'll hold off till I finish the show :sweatingbullets::D

So far, Jiang Chen's subtle actions and changes in his facial expressions each episode have me smiling. Like I totally notice when he gives that small smile or a glance to Xiao Xi when she's not looking, or his facial expression when he sees Xiao Xi and Wu Bo Song together. It's so cute. :wub:

I know I said in my earlier post that I feel for Wu Bo Song because he won't win against Jiang Chen, but like I wish he would tone down all the gestures he does for Xiao Xi. I'm past the point in the story where Xiao Xi tells him she doesn't like him and even though he says he wrote it down as a joke, he was obviously serious about it. And he already knows she likes Jiang Chen. But after that he continuously buys her snacks, pays extra for those fireworks, and then buys her gloves for Christmas. It just feels like it's a little too much :unsure: I still wish he finds happiness though with someone else because he is a kind person. 

And whoa, I noticed the doctor was young, but I wasn't expecting him to be younger than most of the cast :blink: He does look older/more mature compared to them. Does he come back? I just finished the episode where he leaves the school and heads to Africa. I like his character so I'm hoping he'll appear again :) 

Okay I'll be starting episode 15 tomorrow. I'll finish this series this weekend. My friends who recommended this show are coming over to watch the final episodes with me because they love this show's ending, and they want to see my reaction to it. 

1 hour ago, justlove said:

Okay I'll be starting episode 15 tomorrow. I'll finish this series this weekend. My friends who recommended this show are coming over to watch the final episodes with me because they love this show's ending, and they want to see my reaction to it. 

Hahaha, yes.  This.  Exactly.  This is why I made my friend wait to watch the last three episodes with me.  I so wanted to see her reaction to the ending, and well, it's not exactly a hardship to rewatch those episodes.  :wink: 

Ah, I envy the fun you and your friends will have this weekend!!  Given your comments in your last post, I can't wait for you to backread.  I think you'll find a lot of kindred spirits in some of those older posts.  And as for your observations re: Jiang Chen's subtle facial expressions, yes, yes, yes.  He is so good at those!  :heart:

I was rewatching the last two eps again -- for research, I swear! :tongue: -- and once again, I'm struck by the beautiful friendship between all the friends.  Mostly, I am always amazed by Jing Jing and Lu Yang who were able to navigate perfectly that love triangle between Jiang Chen-Xiao Xi-and Wu Bo Song.  They never displayed favoritism for either, retaining friendships with both boys, and let their cues come from Xiao Xi instead.  It was such an impressive display of maturity that I had to comment on it.

Anyway, things have been so quiet in this thread this past week I thought I'd liven it with a new fic: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1309156/8/drabbles-of-a-love-so-beautiful-chinese-chinesedrama-chinesefanfiction-cdrama-alovesobeautiful-alsb-huyitian-shenyue-jiangchen-chenxiaoxi

Also, I'm curious as to how @justlove's weekend with her friends went -- I hope you loved the drama's ending.  :D 

57 minutes ago, angelangie said:

btw @themarchioness did you know that Hu YiTian was in my town last couple of days ago? :D 

hahaha but sorry im not the type to go hogging the streets just to see the star in real life ahahahah :D if not and if i happen upon him i will help you ask him about how is XiaoXi :D 

Oooh, that is exciting!  I wouldn't have the patience either to stand around to try and see him either, but it'd be pretty cool if our paths crossed by chance.  Should that ever happen to you, I appreciate that you're willing to help me by asking him how XX is doing.  :wink: 

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I was rewatching the last two eps again -- for research, I swear! :tongue: -- and once again, I'm struck by the beautiful friendship between all the friends.  Mostly, I am always amazed by Jing Jing and Lu Yang who were able to navigate perfectly that love triangle between Jiang Chen-Xiao Xi-and Wu Bo Song.  They never displayed favoritism for either, retaining friendships with both boys, and let their cues come from Xiao Xi instead.  It was such an impressive display of maturity that I had to comment on it.

Anyway, things have been so quiet in this thread this past week I thought I'd liven it with a new fic: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1309156/8/drabbles-of-a-love-so-beautiful-chinese-chinesedrama-chinesefanfiction-cdrama-alovesobeautiful-alsb-huyitian-shenyue-jiangchen-chenxiaoxi

Also, I'm curious as to how @justlove's weekend with her friends went -- I hope you loved the drama's ending.  :D 

I was about to ask u,then good thing i check 1st the forum hahahhahha. I love u big...thanks for the update...

@themarchioness I did finish watching it this past weekend, and A Love So Beautiful is indeed SO BEAUTIFUL :heart: That ending, yes I loved it! Now I can understand why so many people loved this ending too! That surprise for me when they showed the epilogue of Jiang Chen’s point of view is so satisfying. Like I was under the suspicion that he liked her all along ever since I watched episode 1’s epilogue, and the fact that the show confirmed it by giving us his pov was so great.
This drama just brought a smile on my face. It felt nostalgic, bringing me back to my school days and talking with friends in class, the worries of getting into your dream college, and the innocence of having your first crush/love. 

I was a little surprised by how quick the story’s pace went once our group of friends got out of high school. Their college days breezed by and soon enough they were already young adults in their own careers. 

In regards to their breakup, I did get a little mad at first when Xiao Xi and Jiang Chen broke up. It was just miscommunication that they could’ve easily fixed if they had a proper talk. But I realized what couple doesn’t have their miscommunications? What couple wouldn’t drift apart because of their busy schedules and therefore the lack of communication? That’s something I’ve personally experienced and I had to work through to fix it, so I had faith that the show would do the same for Jiang Chen and Xiao Xi. What I didn’t expect was that it’d take them 3 years later to talk again. But again, I realized the time apart was a good thing because all their lives they were always together. So during those 3 years, they were able to grow independently. “Distance makes the heart grow fonder” and I believe that applies to Jiang Chen and Xiao Xi (especially to Jiang Chen).

Overall, I truly enjoyed this show. It was pure, simple, and heartwarming. I will definitely rewatch this in the future. :wink: If there’s plans for a season 2, I honestly wouldn’t mind. I really enjoyed the interactions between Xiao Xi and Jiang Chen. They’re so cute. :wub:

14 hours ago, justlove said:

@themarchioness I did finish watching it this past weekend, and A Love So Beautiful is indeed SO BEAUTIFUL :heart: That ending, yes I loved it! Now I can understand why so many people loved this ending too! That surprise for me when they showed the epilogue of Jiang Chen’s point of view is so satisfying. Like I was under the suspicion that he liked her all along ever since I watched episode 1’s epilogue, and the fact that the show confirmed it by giving us his pov was so great.
This drama just brought a smile on my face. It felt nostalgic, bringing me back to my school days and talking with friends in class, the worries of getting into your dream college, and the innocence of having your first crush/love. 

I was a little surprised by how quick the story’s pace went once our group of friends got out of high school. Their college days breezed by and soon enough they were already young adults in their own careers. 

In regards to their breakup, I did get a little mad at first when Xiao Xi and Jiang Chen broke up. It was just miscommunication that they could’ve easily fixed if they had a proper talk. But I realized what couple doesn’t have their miscommunications? What couple wouldn’t drift apart because of their busy schedules and therefore the lack of communication? That’s something I’ve personally experienced and I had to work through to fix it, so I had faith that the show would do the same for Jiang Chen and Xiao Xi. What I didn’t expect was that it’d take them 3 years later to talk again. But again, I realized the time apart was a good thing because all their lives they were always together. So during those 3 years, they were able to grow independently. “Distance makes the heart grow fonder” and I believe that applies to Jiang Chen and Xiao Xi (especially to Jiang Chen).

Overall, I truly enjoyed this show. It was pure, simple, and heartwarming. I will definitely rewatch this in the future. :wink: If there’s plans for a season 2, I honestly wouldn’t mind. I really enjoyed the interactions between Xiao Xi and Jiang Chen. They’re so cute. :wub:

The ending is one of the best ending i ever seen... like its the cutest and so satisfying specially the pov of jiang chen...

by the way...have u  read the english translated novel of a love so beautiful??? Lucky there are kind hearted people who sacrifice their free time. On translating the novel...

@justlove, yay!  You finished.  I sometimes wonder if that's a good or bad thing.  Good because -- that ending!  So sweet!  So perfect!  (And yes, JC's epilogue is the best.)  But then being done also means the drama is over, and that is definitely a bad thing in my book.  Heh.  The eternal struggle of a drama watcher.  :)

In any event, I'm glad the remainder of the drama lived up to your expectations.  I agree that the college/adult years passed by in a blur.  I'm still not sure how to feel about it.  On the one hand, it got the job done and moving at light year speed rate meant the story never got dragged down, but on the other hand, it would've been nice to be able to spend more time with the characters.  Ah, well.

13 minutes ago, ellaine120 said:

by the way...have u  read the english translated novel of a love so beautiful??? Lucky there are kind hearted people who sacrifice their free time. On translating the novel...

Not yet, but planning on it.  Even though it looks like the novel is being translated at a regular pace, I still want to wait until more chapters are available before I start reading.  I'd like to minimize the amount of time I have to wait in between new chapters.  :D 

6 hours ago, ellaine120 said:

The ending is one of the best ending i ever seen... like its the cutest and so satisfying specially the pov of jiang chen...

Yes I agree with you! The ending was so cute, and then that added pov of Jiang Chen made it even better! :wub: It was perfect :heart:

And no I haven’t read it yet, but I’d be interested in reading it. Where can I find it? :)

5 hours ago, themarchioness said:

@justlove, yay!  You finished.  I sometimes wonder if that's a good or bad thing.  Good because -- that ending!  So sweet!  So perfect!  (And yes, JC's epilogue is the best.)  But then being done also means the drama is over, and that is definitely a bad thing in my book.  Heh.  The eternal struggle of a drama watcher.  :)

In any event, I'm glad the remainder of the drama lived up to your expectations.  I agree that the college/adult years passed by in a blur.  I'm still not sure how to feel about it.  On the one hand, it got the job done and moving at light year speed rate meant the story never got dragged down, but on the other hand, it would've been nice to be able to spend more time with the characters.  Ah, well.

Not yet, but planning on it.  Even though it looks like the novel is being translated at a regular pace, I still want to wait until more chapters are available before I start reading.  I'd like to minimize the amount of time I have to wait in between new chapters.  :D 

Hehe true! Everyone kept telling me how great the ending was, so I was really looking forward to the last episode, but a part of me was sad to see the ending because that means the show’s over. I still need to watch the bts videos, a part of me doesn't want to let this show go just yet.

Yeah I would’ve like to see them more in their college years because we spent so much time in their high school life. But oh well. I still love this show and I’ll be rewatching this show in the future because it puts a smile on my face. :wub:

8 hours ago, justlove said:

Yes I agree with you! The ending was so cute, and then that added pov of Jiang Chen made it even better! :wub: It was perfect :heart:

And no I haven’t read it yet, but I’d be interested in reading it. Where can I find it? :)

https://teaquilashot.wordpress.com/author/teaquilashot/

this is the link of the translated novel...there are 3 kindhearted people translating it...you can find the author at the buttom 

xri translated the chap 18 and 20,youtiaoshutiao translate the chap 15 17 21, and dolly translated the rest of the chapter...its still not finished and they are still currently doing it...they are still at chap 21....

and yeah dont miss out @themarchioness fan fic stories of ALSB ....if u haven't tried reading it yet then its a must read hehehhe 

20 hours ago, ellaine120 said:

https://teaquilashot.wordpress.com/author/teaquilashot/

this is the link of the translated novel...there are 3 kindhearted people translating it...you can find the author at the buttom 

xri translated the chap 18 and 20,youtiaoshutiao translate the chap 15 17 21, and dolly translated the rest of the chapter...its still not finished and they are still currently doing it...they are still at chap 21....

and yeah dont miss out @themarchioness fan fic stories of ALSB ....if u haven't tried reading it yet then its a must read hehehhe 

Thank you for all the info! :) Will check it all out.

Now that I'm done with the show, I can finally backread and catch up on this thread :)

Just found out Viki's done subbing all of ALSB's episodes, so if anyone wants to watch (or should I say rewatch) it's now available through Viki! :)

https://www.viki.com/tv/35692c-a-love-so-beautiful?q=a lo

Here's the trailer they released for ALSB on YouTube a few days ago:

And the english subs of the opening song (which I adored :wub:):

On 12/2/2017 at 2:44 PM, valerie86 said:

Thanks for ur clarifications

I also saw the snippet of WBS hugging Xx tightly at the airport. JC saw it and got so pissed off and walked away.  Wondering whether it happened within those   year of breakups.

i actually cannot stand WBS always touch XX . wrap arms around her shoulder. Hugging.. etc.  Plus he does it in front of JC. That annoys me lol .

i cant wait until thursday 

actually JC considers their 3 year of breakup  more just like a long term fight / quarrel. He so easily ask her to apologize before he kissed her and said " there will be no next time. Do u understand " to Xiao xi.

And XX was wondering the next day why the hell did he kiss her if he has a gf. She doesnt want to be third wheel... 

That's funny. Hehe

XX is sometimes at fault to as far as WBS is concerned.  According to Chinese culture, a normal male friend will not be so touchy feely with her so she should have sounded him or keep her distance.  She played dumb and this contributes to a lot of misunderstanding between her and JC.  JC is also not much better when dealing with that female class monitor.  He should have stick a finger at her forehead (like he did often to XX) when she comes too close to him.  His non actions hurt XX a lot.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:37 PM, valerie86 said:

I think about this drama the whole day too lol.

This dram i actually love it much more than the novel. Cause i am able to see Jiang chen in drama. Really blissful. He is just so so so gorgeous. Omygoshhh .. really love it. 

And the blooper is excellent ^^ especially in ep 20  where Jc move all the things from the car boot into the passenger seat at the back . Soooooooo funny

Yeah, he knows her through and through!

On 12/9/2017 at 10:30 PM, themarchioness said:

I disagree that they needed the break for JC to realize that he couldn't be without her -- I think he knew that beforehand.  After all, he was already thinking marriage and had refused the opportunity in Beijing initially.  But, having said that, I do think the 3 years apart helped them both to deal with their insecurities.

Honestly, pre-break, my sympathies lied more with him.  [Note, I use the word "more" -- I do have some sympathies for her, as I will continue to explain!]  I know it sucked for XX that every time she turned around, JC was either working or being called away to work.  Maybe it's because I have too many doctors in the family, but I know that's exactly what it's like, and if you're going to be with someone who's in that profession, it's an occupational hazard you have to learn to handle.  I do think she tried, so it's not that I don't want to give XX any credit, but clearly the comments and observations from friends and other people about JC never being around started to get to her.  She let those insecurities creep in -- and she did, in large part, because she had always operated under the assumption that she loved JC more and the only reason he was with her was because she'd kept after him until he had no choice.  We know that couldn't be farther from the truth, so it made it frustrating for us to watch, but for her. Yeah.  Insecurities.

I definitely felt bad for XX after her incident with the creepy real estate agent guy, and yeah, I could understand why she freaked and went looking for JC for comfort and reassurance.  Of course, we know that instead of meeting him, she met that nurse who inadvertently blabbed about JC's Beijing opportunity.  How I wish XX wouldn't have assumed and allowed him to explain when she confronted him about it, but I think it was just sort of "perfect storm" material at that point, so I don't really blame her in that moment.  She had her reasons for being angry, although he may not have fully understood it at the time.  He just thought she was being immature with a lack of understanding.

I think the break gave them time to grow up.  As someone already mentioned, they'd always been together up until that point.  I think the 3 years allowed them to develop independently.  Any time a couple is apart, it's always regretful, but I don't think it necessarily a bad thing here.  Mostly, it doesn't bother me too much because I feel like even though they weren't together, they were always together anyway.  It's clear that while JC was in Beijing, XX was never far from his mind.  And for XX, I find it telling that she could never be persuaded by WBS in those 3 years and in JC's absence.  Sure, he pursued her in high school too, but JC was always there to distract XX.  The fact that he still couldn't win her over even with JC gone says a lot.  Though she may have been angry at JC for leaving, deep down she never stopped loving him either.

Three years later, I think what JC learned was that he needed to be more vocal about how he felt about XX and what he wanted with respect to her.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, he already knew back then that he wanted to marry her.  But did he ever tell her?  No.  It's kind of like when they started dating -- he'd already known he wanted to date her, but he never told her until he proclaimed it.  It's also the same as with his Beijing opportunity -- he never told her about it because in his mind, it was unnecessary since he was declining the opportunity anyway.  But in failing to tell her about it (and explaining that he was giving it up essentially for her) that allowed someone else to tell XX about instead, and hence all those misunderstandings! 

JC also wasn't without his own insecurities, and that was most patently clear when he came back to look for her and saw her with WBS.  He just assumed they would get together and I shared XX's anger/frustration when she learned about that three years later.  When she asked him if he really thought she would've moved on that quickly, I cheered on the screen because I had the same question. Ha.  But in seriousness, I think that the 3 years apart helped JC realize that he didn't really care what might be going on with WBS -- he just wanted and needed XX back.  (He pretty much says so in that confession scene in episode 22.)

So yeah . . . that's what I think the 3 years of separation meant for them. 

If there's one thing I would've wanted to see more of in the drama, I wish their post-reunion confrontation scene could've been expanded upon.  When he told her that he lost his first patient on the day they broke up, and she told him that she'd been almost raped that day, it seemed like they were just trying to one-up each other as to who'd had the crappier day and thus it was really the other person who was more at fault for the break-up.  I mean, you could see they weren't unaffected by the revelations -- JC's eyebrows, in particular, really flicked up when he finally heard about what had happened to her when she went apartment hunting -- but at the same time, it was a conversation where they were both still feeling hurt and angry.  I'm still not sure they really listened to each other.  Under different circumstances, for example, I know XX would've been more sympathetic and compassionate at hearing that JC losing a patient, and I've no doubt she'd help him get through that loss.  But here, she just kind of bowled right over that point and went on with her side of the story.  And he pretty much did the same too.  I wish instead of them still being so angry with each other that it would've been more of a moment of, "Ah, so that's what happened back then.  I get it now."

*shrug*  Minor complaint.  I love the drama as it is.  I think maybe if it had been an episode or two longer, we could've gotten a scene like that.  But for the length that it was, it was pure perfection as is.  I really, really love the drama.

And I kind of like how it leaves so much open with its time skips, etc.  It lets me now spend all my time thinking about the drama and filling in those blanks myself.  :tongue: 

@themarchioness I totally agree with you.  The adult part of the drama should have at least a few episodes more added to it to make the drama even more perfect.  The time spent on the high school period should be balanced out with the post high school period.

Archived