[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

35 minutes ago, hakunamatata8 said:

thank yuo @lyserose for your answers. One scene puzzled me tho or rather teh words. In one scene, when WYL admitted to the Empress Dowager that it was a lie about B being the sister (this when evverything was settled), the ED walked away telling WYL that she " was very good" - just these 2 words. Couldnt get the subtext: was she prasing WYL that her scheme worked and congratulating her sarcastically. Without understanding the mandarin fully, I probably could not follow the conversation prior. 

Sarcastic. Here it means u r very capable...lying to me like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, hakunamatata8 said:

thank yuo @lyserose for your answers. One scene puzzled me tho or rather teh words. In one scene, when WYL admitted to the Empress Dowager that it was a lie about B being the sister (this when evverything was settled), the ED walked away telling WYL that she " was very good" - just these 2 words. Couldnt get the subtext: was she prasing WYL that her scheme worked and congratulating her sarcastically. Without understanding the mandarin fully, I probably could not follow the conversation prior. 

Welcome. I happened to be on leave today, so am free to do translation :)

YL didn't say that Chen Bi is the sister, but the reincarnation of Princess He An. 

Dowager was not praising YL.  She was asking YL again if He An has really not been reincarnated. YL assured her that Chen Bi is not the reincarnation of Princess He An and that He An has gone to heaven. That was why she said "very good", as in to say that she finally accepted that her late daughter is already in a better place or that she has been lied to. But also as @Cedric pointed above, it was also meant to be sarcastic. Her relationship with YL suffered after this incident.

• Like 2

Since you ARE free, I guess I have another translation question :sweatingbullets:

At the end of 64, when Zhen Er and the Step Empress are doing the requisite "sum up everything that's happened over the past 10 years" conversation, what do they say exactly when they bring up the Dowager and Yingluo? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9 minutes ago, believed said:

Since you ARE free, I guess I have another translation question :sweatingbullets:

At the end of 64, when Zhen Er and the Step Empress are doing the requisite "sum up everything that's happened over the past 10 years" conversation, what do they say exactly when they bring up the Dowager and Yingluo? 

Let me recall.... U know Step Empress already agreed with the peaceful arrangement with YL. Zhen Er discovered white hair on the Empress and explained how managing the harem is so taxing, and unlike YL (she is already a Gui Fei by now) who could still maintain her youth because she is so carefree and they are under the impression that YL is irresponsible when come to dealing with her children.

YL have two daughters and two sons (only one surviving) in a span of 10 years. In order to repair her relationship with Dowager (not entirely the reason), she sent her two daughters to her, thus slowly amending their relationship. Empress also in the opinion that YL is selfish, is all about loving herself since she also sent her son Yongyan to Consort Qing (meant apart from relieving herself from a mother's duty but also gaining herself more support in the harem).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lyserose said:

Let me recall.... U know Step Empress already agreed with the peaceful arrangement with YL. Zhen Er discovered white hair on the Empress and explained how managing the harem is so taxing, and unlike YL (she is already a Gui Fei by now) who could still maintain her youth because she is so carefree and they are under the impression that YL is irresponsible when come to dealing with her children.

YL have two daughters and two sons (only one surviving) in a span of 10 years. In order to repair her relationship with Dowager (not entirely the reason), she sent her two daughters to her, thus slowly amending their relationship.

The first bit I've bolded: in the SE's conversation with QL a bit later (i think in the next episode), does she bring this topic up? I feel like I remember them talking about YL & her children (or at least this is what QL brought up later when he's in bed with YL?) 

The second bit: not entirely the reason meaning because the choice was out of her hands?

59 minutes ago, believed said:

The second bit: not entirely the reason meaning because the choice was out of her hands?

This part i remember. Remember the part Yongqi and Qianlong played chess while Ling hid in the chest, after that they talked about her children. Qianlong said he knew the reason why she sent them to others is not to gain power or support for herself....but to make sure someone will take care of them if she is gone. Think during one of her children birth, she inherit poor chronic health. I guess together with her poor stomach...she thought she wont live long.

That is one part that is touching. QL then warn her not to leave before they finish their journey as in reaching old age together...not like Rongyin he mentioned. She then said i would try and didnt u say 祸害遗千年....troubles (like me) stay around for a 1000yrs (forever).

Well...it is sad too...bcos she didnt fulfill that promise.

Ling also mention she wont use her daughter as an object to make up to the dowager for that lie. My guess is besides the above reason...she truly feel the dowager is lonely....well that is my extra guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Cedric Ong & @lyserose for all the replies. :blush:

Btw i wants to know what did QL said to YL when he asked her to change his clothes (scene after Fuheng told QL he was inlove with YL).

Also did QL knew all along that Chen Bin was evil from the very beginning or later after YL revealed the truth her?

In Ep.36, what did QL said to YL  before she walked on the snow...

1 hour ago, Cedric Ong said:

That is one part that is touching. QL then warn her not to leave before they finish their journey as in reaching old age together...not like Rongyin he mentioned. She then said i would try and didnt u say 祸害遗千年....troubles (like me) stay around for a 1000yrs (forever).

Well...it is sad too...bcos she didnt fulfill that promise.

Thanks for this. I was wondering what she meant when she said "Trouble will last for 1000 years". I never expected to love the interaction between older QL and YL but the more you watch them together, you can feel they have deep love, respect and understanding towards each other. 

By the way, one of the scene confused me is in episode 63. Step Empress was angry with YCW for starving YL during the house arrest, not because she refused to kill YL but because his action was too rash and linking her directly to it. She sent two items to Yang Xin palace. I know one of them is the destroyed zither that QL gifted to YL, what is the other one? Idk if I missed out something.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Btw i wants to know what did QL said to YL when he asked her to change his clothes (scene after Fuheng told QL he was inlove with YL).

Spoiler

QL asked YL what was her trick to get Fuheng to marry her and said that he won't allow that to happen - accusing her of scheming her way to the top and she does not fit to be married into the respected Fuca family. YL retaliated, saying she didn't know how QL had that kind of idea and asked QL, why did he treated Er Qing and Ming Yue kindly but hated her so much. QL replied that the rest of the servants behaved as they should, thus he is happy to reward them except YL, who disrespect him. He said if not because of giving face to Empress Fuca, he would have her executed (not sure if punished or executed). Then, he pulled YL closer to him and said (more like offering himself lol) that if she really wanted to climb her way to the top, why did she not go directly to him and that he could give her everything she wanted. YL further pissed him when she thanked him for his offer but she didn't feel that she deserved it, which ofc made QL even more furious, kicking the furniture and before he left, he warned YL to stay away from Fuheng. 

Also did QL knew all along that Chen Bin was evil from the very beginning or later after YL revealed the truth her?

No. As @Cedric explained before, he only started digging on her the moment YL was implicated for trying to harm CB, understanding that YL would never hurt anybody on purpose (out of her character).

In Ep.36, what did QL said to YL  before she walked on the snow...

Spoiler

After Empress pointed out QL desire to have YL that resulted him so against Fuheng x Yingluo marriage, he was still clueless over his feeling. He funnily sought opinion from LY and De Sheng.

When he saw YL shoving the charcoal ashes at Yang Xin palace, he asked her if she had any desire to return to Changchun since she's been serving at the slave unit long enough but YL said she didn't dare (she was heartbroken after Fuheng told her that he is marrying Er Qing). This petty QL told her she could beg him but she didn't. So, he lured her by telling YL that Fuca had regained consciousness and that was why YL begged him to allow her to return to serve the Empress. QL agreed (he smiled satisfactorily in this scene) if only she fulfilled either one of these two conditions:

1) YL to tell Fuheng that she never loved him, only used him to upgrade her status OR

2) To walk every 3 steps, then kneel down and bow around the 6 palaces for 24 hours when the first snow fall.

YL obviously opted for Option (2) and as she said, she chose that option because she didn't want to lie to herself, because she really did loved Fuheng wholeheartedly.

Just to mention,  he was upset that YL went for option 2 (walk in the snow) which basically confirmed that she really loved Fuheng. It's more like he gave her option (1) because he wanted to believe that YL had no feeling towards Fuheng. He was trying to lie to himself. The same case like how he was angry that YL refused to defend herself when he had her arrested and imprisoned for having an affair with a royal guard in episode 34.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

47 minutes ago, lyserose said:
  Hide contents

QL asked YL what was her trick to get Fuheng to marry her and said that he won't allow that to happen - accusing her of scheming her way to the top and she does not fit to be married into the respected Fuca family. YL retaliated, saying she didn't know how QL had that kind of idea and asked QL, why did he treated Er Qing and Ming Yue kindly but hated her so much. QL replied that the rest of the servants behaved as they should, thus he is happy to reward them except YL, who disrespect him. He said if not because of giving face to Empress Fuca, he would have her executed (not sure if punished or executed). Then, he pulled YL closer to him and said (more like offering himself lol) that if she really wanted to climb her way to the top, why did she not go directly to him and that he could give her anything she wanted. YL further pissed him when she thanked him for his offer but she didn't feel that she deserved it, which ofc made QL even more furious, kicking the furniture and before he left, he warned YL to stay away from Fuheng. 

No. I don't think so. As @Cedric explained before, he only started digging on her the moment YL was implicated for trying to harm CB, understanding that YL would never hurt anybody on purpose (out of her character).

Hide contents

After Empress pointed out QL desire to have YL that resulted him so against Fuheng x Yingluo marriage, he was still clueless over his feeling. He funnily sought opinion from LY and De Sheng.

When he saw YL shoving the charcoal ashes at Yang Xin palace, he asked her if she had any desire to return to Changhun since she's been serving at the slave unit long enough but YL said she didn't dare (she was heartbroken after Fuheng told her that he is marrying Er Qing). This petty QL told her she could beg him but she didn't. So, he lured her by telling YL that Fuca had regained consciousness and that was why YL begged him to allow her to return to serve the Empress. QL agreed (he smiled satisfactorily in this scene) if only she fulfilled either one of these two conditions:

1) YL to tell Fuheng that she never loved him, only used him to upgrade her status OR

2) To walk every 3 steps, then kneel down and bow around the 6 palaces for 24 hours when the first snow fall.

YL obviously opted for Option (2) and as she said, she chose that option because she didn't want to lie to herself, because she really did loved Fuheng wholeheartedly.

Just to mention, before he met YL shoving the ashes, he had finally visited Consort Chun after 6 months (from this point forward, Consort Chun became his favourite). Still, QL could not stop thinking about YL. And he was upset that YL went for option 2 (walk in the snow) which basically confirmed that she really loved Fuheng. It's more like he gave her option (1) because he wanted to believe that YL had no feeling towards Fuheng. He was trying to lie to himself.

So funny, when i remember your translations about the arguement between QL and YL before she left. He said that YL believe he was a lecherous man who sleep with his wife's servant. Didn't he was like that too for real, forced YL to sleep with him after he saved her during the snow walk.

I am glad actually YL chose the no.2. QL such a jerk...i kinda like YL with Fuheng. Btw did Fuheng know about the reason behind on why YL did that.

And im curious what was YL's monologue when she walked on snow....was she saying something that mark the end of her relationship with Fuheng?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, harooxxx said:

So funny, when i remember your translations about the arguement between QL and YL before she left. He said that YL believe he was a lecherous man who sleep with his wife's servant. Didn't he was like that too for real, forced YL to sleep with him after he saved her during the snow walk.

I am glad actually YL chose the no.2. QL such a jerk...i kinda like YL with Fuheng. 

And im curious what was YL's monologue when she walked on snow....was she saying something that mark the end of her relationship with Fuheng?

On the bold part....

Spoiler

This is different. Er Qing was married to Fuheng. QL won't bed his officials' wives, let alone Fuheng's wife. Even Fuheng himself understands this about QL. When Er Qing told Fuheng that she is pregnant with QL's baby, Fuheng told her that she must have schemed up something to make it happen because naturally, QL won't do that. Just to make it clearer also... when Er Qing asked for an audience with QL (in episode 54, before her death), she told QL to advise Fuheng regarding their marriage issue and even said "Please help me, with consideration of our past relationship".... QL was not pleased with her statement and clearly told her off that there was never any relationship ever existed between them. The night that they spent together was just a mistake. It was apparent that he regretted that night and he was not some lewd guy who simply beds any women.

I must admit that I am a QL x YL shipper so my opinion on QL may be bias a bit. For the most part, QL was clueless over his feelings for YL. Even Fuheng himself said that QL is so clever yet YL incited new feelings and experience out of him, thus he didn't know how to act on it. I interpret his action of trying to sleep with YL (in episode 37) is more because he thought, he was just simply attracted to her and so just to put an end to his desire to have her (plus, he is an Emperor, brought up to believe he is superior and he could have anything he desired). That's it. But then, he didn't realize the depth of his own feelings. He became disappointed when YL tricked him to believe that she had wanted to become his concubine for a long time ago and he was just a medium for her to elevate her status. If his feeling wasn't deep enough, he would have cared less about how she actually feel for him. If he is simply a lecherous man, he would just sleep with her and that was it - mission accomplished. He got what he wanted.

On the monologue...

YL said she chose Option (2) because she did loved Fuheng whole-heartedly but from that moment onward, their love is just history and he is just a stranger to her. 

• Like 1

I absolutely love QLs character in Yanxi. I mean Nie Yuans acting skills are really good here (for eg. the tiny details of how he stretches after coming out frm YLs room lol) and QL in this show is some one with empathy and humanity. Im on QL x YL ship bcos I totally adore how both of them are really michevious and their personalities complement each other very well lol. On the contrary, I absolutely despise QLs character in Ruyi :/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Btw did Fuheng know about the reason behind on why YL did that.

Er Qing asked De Sheng why YL walked in the snow and he explained that the she needs to carry out Emperor's punishment in order to allow her to return to Chang Chun palace to serve the Empress. Understandably, Fuheng too happened to know why.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blessedchild said:

I absolutely love QLs character in Yanxi. I mean Nie Yuans acting skills are really good here (for eg. the tiny details of how he stretches after coming out frm YLs room lol) and QL in this show is some one with empathy and humanity. Im on QL x YL ship bcos I totally adore how both of them are really michevious and their personalities complement each other very well lol. On the contrary, I absolutely despise QLs character in Ruyi :/

I totally agree with you. 

I believe part of it is the way the character was written off and partly because of the actor Nie Yuan. I was very impressed by him. When I first watched "Yanxi", my mom gave a vague description that "This Emperor really loves his Empress and he hates that maid". LOL. But from the first time I saw him, he immediately drawn me in. He has such strong presence and for the most part, he made the episode so much more interesting. The fact that he isn't the most good looking guy in the series and a flawed man some more, yet I still rooted for him proven how fantastic his acting is.

I am amazed by how he could switch from being so charismatic when dealing with his court matters, playful with Li Yu, caring with his wives and flirty and petty with YL. I also like the way he dealt with his harem. Unlike the QL in Ruyi, he is more responsible towards his women. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lyserose said:

I am amazed by how he could switch from being so charismatic when dealing with his court matters, playful with Li Yu, caring with his wives and flirty and petty with YL. I also like the way he dealt with his harem. Unlike the QL in Ruyi, he is more responsible towards his women. 

I agree with all of this + reiterating my own support for QLxYL. I love that he really made QL seem more human with just simple mannerisms (the head scratching, the teasing, the smile he can't stop showing when YL does anything), even if he's the emperor and Can Do No Wrong. I also want to add that he's a lot more responsible with his children and seems to care about them more too.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, believed said:

I agree with all of this + reiterating my own support for QLxYL. I love that he really made QL seem more human with just simple mannerisms (the head scratching, the teasing, the smile he can't stop showing when YL does anything), even if he's the emperor and Can Do No Wrong. I also want to add that he's a lot more responsible with his children and seems to care about them more too.

Totally agree. Btw, one question for all, I wondering why is it that the flower pot shoes worn by the women are very different from other Dynasty Qing's drama? (instead of the platform being centred only at the centre of the shoes, the platform is attached to the entire shoe) Which version is a more accurate portrayal of the history?

@Cedric Ong and @lyserose    you two know that you have provided us with the most beautiful explanations and translations . Thank you . As i said before, i got hooked from the first moment , and when YL threw that bucket of water on the roommate lol and i watched all 70 episodes; however, after the discussions here , i would go ahhhhhh so thats what that was ...especially the walking and bowing in the snow , or that episode # ?  when Gao stepped on YL's hand and QL left so fast when he saw her struggling to carry the buckets with hurt hands.     My :heart: to you two for translating . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blessedchild said:

Totally agree. Btw, one question for all, I wondering why is it that the flower pot shoes worn by the women are very different from other Dynasty Qing's drama? (instead of the platform being centred only at the centre of the shoes, the platform is attached to the entire shoe) Which version is a more accurate portrayal of the history?

I tried to search but can only find info that say all these different types of "elevated" shoes are accurate....probably one or the other is more popular at different periods of Qing Dynasty....but i can't find the actual periods....or more details.

Another possibility is the ones in Yanxi which are called ingot-shaped are flatter....and more suitable for normal maids who need to work. It's a guess b'cos  i came across this detail that said these shoes are more for higher status Manchu ladies and even for them, they only wear the very high heels (horse-hoof or flower pot) on grand occasions....b'cos hard to walk.

The origins of these shoes came from these possibilities.....Manchu came from the northern colder areas....the higher heels help the ladies to avoid insects on the ground and the cold snow. Another saying is while they like the ladies to walk gracefully swaying from side to side, they didn't bind their feet like the Han women (yes, only the Hans bind their feet), so they wear high heels b'cos then can't see their big feet under their dress (but i don't see much use, haha).

English article (the latter pics) :

https://interactchina.wordpress.com/2017/12/25/chinese-shoe-culture-iii-amazing-womens-shoes-of-the-qing-dynasty/

Chinese article :

https://kuaibao.qq.com/s/20180802A0I3WX00?refer=spider

I think in real history, probably a mixture of "fashion" for the shoes....but for the dramas, easier to maintain the props so they just use one type.

The horse-hoof (Scarlet Heart) vs ingot (Yanxi)

0&key=e6d5387b79a81e0b6114eeef0e4f613b5e

9 hours ago, jadore1 said:

@Cedric Ong and @lyserose    you two know that you have provided us with the most beautiful explanations and translations . Thank you . As i said before, i got hooked from the first moment , and when YL threw that bucket of water on the roommate lol and i watched all 70 episodes; however, after the discussions here , i would go ahhhhhh so thats what that was ...especially the walking and bowing in the snow , or that episode # ?  when Gao stepped on YL's hand and QL left so fast when he saw her struggling to carry the buckets with hurt hands.     My :heart: to you two for translating . 

Welcome. It's always nice sharing something you love and have someone to discuss with. Anyway,  the "walk in the snow" is probably my favourite scene in this entire drama. 

• Like 1