[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

My bad about the eye and poster. You wre right and I clicked on to see the overall.

On dubbed voices, I think it was only Wu JinYan whose voice was dubbed - read somewhere it wasnt a strong speaking voice. 

Came across this and thought i'd sharre - pretty good. The skit when Empress came "down" was good but couldnt understand all the way especially what she spoke to Erching and WYL. Would be great if someone can translate that part.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, believed said:

On a different note, does anyone know whose voices were kept/not dubbed over in the show? 

From chinese site :

https://baike.baidu.com/item/延禧攻略/20481391#3

Only the actor/actresses as Fuca, Qianlong, Gao consort, Chun consort, Yuan Chun Wang, Yu Consort, Su Consort, Li Yu....are not dubbed. Basically the younger and most minor chars are dubbed.

I am mildly surprised the Dowager Empress was dubbed....i know she is a veteran actress...perhaps her voice isn't suited for this role.

One interesting note is Xian consort/Step Empress....the HK actress Charmaine Sheh uses a fixed/regular staff who always dubbed for her for many years.

• Like 1

I am curious on YL ceremonial costume in the final minute of episode 70. It looks like an Empress costume that I used to see in other palace dramas. So, Imperial Noble Consort's ceromonial costume is same with an Empress? 

Second, historically we know that Consort Ling became a Huang Gui Fei, thus a de facto empress and head of the harem. Speculation and theories suggested that QL promoted her to take charge of the harem, also probobaly to insult Step Empress. However, I checked on Qianlong's concubines and consorts records and found that after Consort Ling's death, there was no other consort being promoted to that level, thus puzzle on who's in charge of the harem? Also, "if" really no other consort being promoted to that level (unless I missed out something), then that made me think that her promotion is more inclined in showing how much QL favoured her, aside from the duty/official reason. 

• Like 2

Once again i am sorry for not being able to contribute much ...i feel like a mute :anguished:  and as previous postings suggest, if this amazing drama gets subbed, who will be around to share the joy with ?  But no matter what, i will wait and re watch all the episodes :blush:

• Like 1

Who was in charge after Consort Ling died?  Whoever was next in ranking?  Where there any Gui Fei's around or someone promoted to that position later?

I am not sure if this was historically accurate but I remember in Zheng Huan, Xi Fei was in charge of the Harem but she was only a Gui Fei and there was a Huang Gui Fei around.  But she was kinda sickly so maybe that's why Xi Fei was put in that position.

• Like 1

I checked abit....there wasn't much details on who's in charge after Ling Consort died. And it's true, during the later part, hardly any consorts got promoted. So we see the highest are like only Fei or Consorts. One reason could be the older ones had passed away and these batch are those just entered the palace and the speed they rose from the lowest ranks eg Gui Ren is very slow.

I think even without the official rank of Imperial Noble Consort or Imperial Consort....the current highest ranked woman in the harem (must be healthy as well) would naturally take care of things. If not, they might refer to the Dowager Empress for support.

But for Qianlong's case....his mother passed away in 1777 at 86yo. That's 2 yrs after Ling died.

The official dresses (esp during their coronation) for the Empress and the Imperial Noble Consort are very similar but still different. I read a few sources...but quite complicated to explain. If just based on Yanxi's pics...i would say the Empress's uses more Yellow colour esp as shown on the left and right sides. And the headdress seems to have slightly more gold deco. 

she_shi_man_.jpg?itok=0GvhffvK

0&key=7fc9c7408ed45e2324d1f69a7da5302e04

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, I never wondered until now who managed the harem after Consort Ling died but that's a great question. 

On a different note, what does QL tell Hai Lan Cha after he finds out that Chun Gui Fei killed Yongcong, etc. They're back at Yanxindian. Is this when he realizes YL used him to get revenge for the Empress' death?

• Like 2

@Cedric Ong As always, thank you so much for taking time to do some research just to satisfy our curiousity.. Sincerely appreciate your time and effort.

1 hour ago, believed said:

On a different note, what does QL tell Hai Lan Cha after he finds out that Chun Gui Fei killed Yongcong, etc. They're back at Yanxindian. Is this when he realizes YL used him to get revenge for the Empress' death

Spoiler

QL asked HLC if all women have multiple characters. QL said he felt horrible that the woman like Consort Chun (he described her as soft spoken but has evil heart) was by his side all along. Then he said, he felt YL been paving the way for him to see the true colour of Consort Chun. HLC told him YL is the kind that always seek justice to punish wrongdoings ever since she was a maid at Changchun and QL said, he understands her loyalty to Fuca and exposing Chun is her way to repair Fuca's kindness but at the same time, he wonder if YL ..... (QL didn't finish the sentence but you know that he started suspecting YL's motive and sincerity towards him). 

1 hour ago, believed said:

You know, I never wondered until now who managed the harem after Consort Ling died but that's a great question. 

This triggered my curiousity because Dowager did mentioned in the drama that Huang Gui Fei and Empress could not co-exist and QL could still task Consort Ling to head the harem even when still being a Gui Fei. 

Maybe it's true that he wanted to agitate Step Empress, but at the same time, it's pretty telling that he thought highly of Consort Ling and favoured her. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lyserose said:

@Cedric Ong As always, thank you so much for taking time to do some research just to satisfy our curiousity.. Sincerely appreciate your time and effort.

Reveal hidden contents

QL asked HLC if all women have multiple characters. QL said he felt horrible that the woman like Consort Chun (he described her as soft spoken but has evil heart) was by his side all along. Then he said, he felt YL been paving the way for him to see the true colour of Consort Chun. HLC told him YL is the kind that always seek justice to punish wrongdoings ever since she was a maid at Changchun and QL said, he understands her loyalty to Fuca and exposing Chun is her way to repair Fuca's kindness but at the same time, he wonder if YL ..... (QL didn't finish the sentence but you know that he started suspecting YL's motive and sincerity towards him). 

And that's when I started slowing down on my watch because I was so nervous about the sad episodes to come hahahaha

Thank you so much!!!

8 hours ago, lyserose said:

This triggered my curiousity because Dowager did mentioned in the drama that Huang Gui Fei and Empress could not co-exist and QL could still task Consort Ling to head the harem even when still being a Gui Fei. 

Maybe it's true that he wanted to agitate Step Empress, but at the same time, it's pretty telling that he thought highly of Consort Ling and favoured her. 

I really wish there was more (English, at least) historical work on Consort Ling -- I've been trying to look into her lately and there isn't enough to read. Everyone's already said it but how fast she climbed up the ranks, how long she stayed favored, etc etc is so interesting.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, believed said:

And that's when I started slowing down on my watch because I was so nervous about the sad episodes to come hahahaha

Thank you so much!!!

I actually love the earlier episodes more where QL was still battling his growing feelings. 

And I actually would love to see the reaction of those people who treated YL badly when she was just a palace maid, now that she ranked that high and known to be QL's favourite, even more becoming the most influential woman in Forbidden City. The ones like Zhe Lan (Gao's lady in waiting), Ling Long (too bad she was exiled), the fellow seamstress whom YL met again at bondservant unit (I assumed she was killed by YCW), Prince Yi, Huo Po and the supervisor lady (cant recall her name) when YL first entered the palace. None of them could have seen that destiny of hers. 

As the show is still playing on loop at our cable tv, I rewatched those earlier episodes and noticed how even back then, when QL and YL were not in good term (more like he was finding faults to justify his own growing interest), he has always chosen to trust and side her ie the case with the birth of Yongqi, YL vs Hongzhou, YL vs Prince Yi. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lyserose said:

I actually love the earlier episodes more where QL was still battling his growing feelings. 

And I actually would love to see the reaction of those people who treated YL badly when she was just a palace maid, now that she ranked that high and known to be QL's favourite, even more becoming the most influential woman in Forbidden City. The ones like Zhe Lan (Gao's lady in waiting), Ling Long (too bad she was exiled), the fellow seamstress whom YL met again at bondservant unit (I assumed she was killed by YCW), Prince Yi, Huo Po and the supervisor lady (cant recall her name) when YL first entered the palace. None of them could have seen that destiny of hers. 

As the show is still playing on loop at our cable tv, I rewatched those earlier episodes and noticed how even back then, when QL and YL were not in good term (more like he was finding faults to justify his own growing interest), he has always chosen to trust and side her ie the case with the birth of Yongqi, YL vs Hongzhou, YL vs Prince Yi. 

Me too, whenever I'm rewatching, my first choice is always those episodes and then I skip the late 50/early 60s and pick back up with the Happily Married Years.

And absolutely same! One of the reasons I was so excited for YL to finally become Ling Fei (as that was the extent of my knowledge going into this show) was to see everyone who tried to bring her down just get so mad at how high she's risen. I really wish they'd brought them back even if it was just for a cameo scene. The looks on their faces. I also wished that Zhang Momo could've stuck around too, maybe even attended to YL, because she always looked out for her.

• Like 1

Ep 10 almost 60% subbed... I waited for this one quite a while since this is when Emperor recognizes YL from the tree scratching and their first encounter.  He recognized her because of her voice and the way she speaks...wow what an impression to make that after quite a bit of time , he still remembered her voice and her .  When he was leaving he tells her that she can't use her "sweet voice" and "sweet words" or he'll execute her ....again he finds her voice and words "sweet"  .  :grin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jadore1 said:

Ep 10 almost 60% subbed... I waited for this one quite a while since this is when Emperor recognizes YL from the tree scratching and their first encounter.  He recognized her because of her voice and the way she speaks...wow what an impression to make that after quite a bit of time , he still remembered her voice and her .  When he was leaving he tells her that she can't use her "sweet voice" and "sweet words" or he'll execute her ....again he finds her voice and words "sweet"  .  :grin:

Was it translated like that? I don't recall he said anything about her voice being sweet. It was just that her voice is rather distinctive to him because he felt he was tricked by her. And QL actually said he spared YL because he was giving face to Empress Fuca, since his wife adores YL so much.

One of the things I love about Yanxi is the soundtrack. My particular favourite is "See" which they used for the opening song (though the opening only constitutes of the humming and the final opera bits). It was also the only song that used for QL and YL (referencing to episode 47 when QL secretly visited her after his sword duel with Fuheng). I checked on the lyrics but failed to capture the meaning behind (too poetic for my understanding) and how it resonated with the relationship between QL and YL.

• Like 2

I tried to stay away fro this thread because of all the spoilers. But this drama is awesome, the script is really good, the actors did a great job. QL , Fuheng and YL are all my favorite characters in the drama. 

I have question for all of you 

Who do you think was YingLuo's true love?

A. HongLi

B. Fuheng

C. Both

I suffered First and Second lead syndrome. 

I am rather curious to all of your opinion.... 

YingLuo was a very interesting character. I wished there were more stories about her. 

5 hours ago, lyserose said:

One of the things I love about Yanxi is the soundtrack. My particular favourite is "See" which they used for the opening song (though the opening only constitutes of the humming and the final opera bits). It was also the only song that used for QL and YL (referencing to episode 47 when QL secretly visited her after his sword duel with Fuheng). I checked on the lyrics but failed to capture the meaning behind (too poetic for my understanding) and how it resonated with the relationship between QL and YL.

I love the opening theme! In all 70 episodes, I never skipped it -- which is a huge feat for me because I tend to just want to get to the episode quicker, but it was just so nice and built up so well that I had to listen to it. Plus, the entire opening sequence is just gorgeous. I remember seeing screencaps of it on Twitter and people were raving about how amazing this looked, which totally piqued my interest in the series. 

I also loved all the ending songs, but I loved the second ending song the most. For me, it went 2nd, 3rd, 1st.

9 hours ago, lyserose said:

Was it translated like that? I don't recall he said anything about her voice being sweet. It was just that her voice is rather distinctive to him because he felt he was tricked by her. And QL actually said he spared YL because he was giving face to Empress Fuca, since his wife adores YL so much.

Hi @lyserose i am totally in the dark without subs , so this was the translation on youtube based subs. When in ep 10 , QL comes out , and before passing by YL , he pauses and does tell her that he is spearing her because of the Empress; however , he warns her about her sweet voice and words , and not to use them , otherwise she will be executed.   If that was not a correct sub translation, then if possible , please provide the exact verbiage .  Thank you for helping us understand this drama and all your translations. 

8 hours ago, jadore1 said:

Hi @lyserose i am totally in the dark without subs , so this was the translation on youtube based subs. When in ep 10 , QL comes out , and before passing by YL , he pauses and does tell her that he is spearing her because of the Empress; however , he warns her about her sweet voice and words , and not to use them , otherwise she will be executed.   If that was not a correct sub translation, then if possible , please provide the exact verbiage .  Thank you for helping us understand this drama and all your translations. 

I can't exactly recall, going to have to rewatch. But I remember correctly, he wasn't exactly mean that she has sweet voice (though distinctive) but more on implying that she is a smooth talker, using her sweet words to get out of troubles.

11 hours ago, believed said:

I also loved all the ending songs, but I loved the second ending song the most. For me, it went 2nd, 3rd, 1st.

Don't know which is the 2nd and 3rd song.

I also like the song "Sighs Behind The Palace Walls". I think it was used only once in the entire drama that was in episode 36 when QL picked up YL in the snow. But then, some version of that episode featured that song and some other version featured the song "Willows of the Palace" (the song sung by Consort Shu to entice QL only for him to punish her to sing all the night in the garden) during that scene.

14 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I tried to stay away fro this thread because of all the spoilers. But this drama is awesome, the script is really good, the actors did a great job. QL , Fuheng and YL are all my favorite characters in the drama. 

I have question for all of you 

Who do you think was YingLuo's true love?

A. HongLi

B. Fuheng

C. Both

I suffered First and Second lead syndrome. 

I am rather curious to all of your opinion.... 

YingLuo was a very interesting character. I wished there were more stories about her. 

I think it's down to whichever ship you board. As for me, I am a QL and YL shipper so my judgment definitely bias on QL. As I commented in previous post, she loved both men at different time with different kind of love and of course with different kind of expectation. I reiterate my opinion that Fuheng is her first love and that "could have been" is what made their love special. With QL, it was a gradual process. She grew to understand and love him over time. To me, her final reply of answering his question with the lifetime she's willing to spend with him as well as the level of understanding, affection and trust they demonstrated in their later years is an indicator that QL is her true love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lyserose  Thanks for your sharing. I am waiting for subs because without subs it is enjoyable but to truly understand I need subs. YL is truly a smooth talker and knows how to put QL in his place. He was attracted to her and always know how to talk her way out of things. In some ways QL and YL are very much a like in tricking people in doing what they want. Lol lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

In some ways QL and YL are very much a like in tricking people in doing what they want. Lol lol 

This is something I've been thinking about lately, especially because this show really does show that QL isn't unaware of what goes on in his harem, knows how to handle them (and clearly play them off each other), and values YL's intelligence and sharpness because he finds it matches him really well. He says that he makes so many exceptions for her (and he does, lol) but watching the two of them just understand each other is really one of the best treats of the second half of the show.

• Like 2