[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

In episode 70- finale - why were the Empress and her gang so shocked when WYL's arrival was announced? I tried following the reactions/comments/responses in mandarin but couldn't quite get it.

The series is really very good altho I felt that after Empress Fuca's death, it was a bit "empty" in that it felt everyone was gpog through the motions of a story - Qin Lan as Empress Fuca really had an impact/presence on the storyline. I missed her presence so much in the later episodes. (hahaha- i admit i have a crush on her!). Aslo the second half seemed so rushed.

The pairing of Empress Fuca and Fuheng as siblings was really good. They are so similar in character and approach. His reaction in his study speaking to his maid (when he came back annd found that WYL is QL's) - his sentiments and sacrifice were so similar to the Empress' on her views of life in many instances.

I am so glad I came across this forum and was helped by you all in understanding the series :a heartfelt thank you.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:36 PM, Cedric Ong said:

I tried to search but can only find info that say all these different types of "elevated" shoes are accurate....probably one or the other is more popular at different periods of Qing Dynasty....but i can't find the actual periods....or more details.

Another possibility is the ones in Yanxi which are called ingot-shaped are flatter....and more suitable for normal maids who need to work. It's a guess b'cos  i came across this detail that said these shoes are more for higher status Manchu ladies and even for them, they only wear the very high heels (horse-hoof or flower pot) on grand occasions....b'cos hard to walk.

The origins of these shoes came from these possibilities.....Manchu came from the northern colder areas....the higher heels help the ladies to avoid insects on the ground and the cold snow. Another saying is while they like the ladies to walk gracefully swaying from side to side, they didn't bind their feet like the Han women (yes, only the Hans bind their feet), so they wear high heels b'cos then can't see their big feet under their dress (but i don't see much use, haha).

English article (the latter pics) :

https://interactchina.wordpress.com/2017/12/25/chinese-shoe-culture-iii-amazing-womens-shoes-of-the-qing-dynasty/

Chinese article :

https://kuaibao.qq.com/s/20180802A0I3WX00?refer=spider

I think in real history, probably a mixture of "fashion" for the shoes....but for the dramas, easier to maintain the props so they just use one type.

The horse-hoof (Scarlet Heart) vs ingot (Yanxi)

0&key=e6d5387b79a81e0b6114eeef0e4f613b5e

Ah, I see thank you very much for the explanation. That was very very helpful bcos I tried searching everywhere but I couldnt find it. I guess the types of shoes in Yanxi are more like the first type and third type in the Chinese article? With the concubines wearing the first type and servants wearing the lower third type? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

The scriptwriter is not bad.....some parts are quite delicately written (about the chars' mentality and behavior)....and also manage to link to real history. For example....the part where Fuheng submitted a calligraphy/painting to QIanlong who already had the same piece. I think when he saw that new piece, he knew he had been duped on the older fake one. But still he asked Yingluo about it. I'm not sure if YL is able to see the difference but she probably guessed QL's mind. She insisted QL's old piece is real and FH's fake. After she left, QL then told Li Yu the truth and said YL didn't want him to put stamp-marks on the good real piece.  And YL while leaving his palace told her maid that he knew...but she knew he won't want to lose face...so she lied...and probably he knew she knew too....haha...sound complicated.

Anyway back to the painting. As YL also mocked, QL had this habit of putting his stamp-mark on paintings and calligraphy, a way of saying this part is good...thus often there were alot on many pieces. While to future collectors, his stamp-marks might make a piece valuable....but they also mar the beauty of the piece. And that particular painting is well-known in history that QL really messed up and thought the real one is fake....thus it really "escaped" having too many stamp-marks on it. Whether Ling Consort is involved or not, there's no record. But the script-writer is clever to write this in.

There are a few parts which left a slightly unsatisfying taste.

1) The Step Empress or Xian Consort always thought badly of Fuca for calling back the palace physician who was supposed to go treat her brother in the prison. She thought Fuca is a hypocrite and never knew it's Chun Consort who persuaded Fuca. I was hoping that she would know she had harmed an innocent person.

2) The part where Gao Consort pushed Fuca after the bats caused a commotion. If i remember correctly, Shu Consort was involved in helping Gao, right? Either giving ideas or helping to release the bats? She was standing nearby anticipating the events. But she was never found out....and eventually even became a good char.

3) This is more like a doubt....i suspect Yingluo's dad was bribed into hurting his leg and getting Yingluo to leave the palace to take care of him. And it was the same night Fuca's son died in the fire. Though probably she can't do much if she's there. But it's too much of a coincidence. Interestingly he never appeared in the drama after that. Maybe to save acting fees...haha.

Thanks again for the explanation about the painting part because this part was what I wanted to ask more about also. Btw, can anyone explain more about Fu Heng's conversation with Qing Lian as to why Ying Luo purposely made QL see her with Fu Heng?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blessedchild said:

Thanks again for the explanation about the painting part because this part was what I wanted to ask more about also. Btw, can anyone explain more about Fu Heng's conversation with Qing Lian as to why Ying Luo purposely made QL see her with Fu Heng?

Cos he said QL' s jealousy over Fuheng and YL history is like a torn in his heart, YL needs to pull it herself. At the same time, the encounter at Changchun where Consort Jia brought QL to witness YL and Fuheng together is her way to get rid of Consort Jia too. It's like killing two birds with one stone. The rumours about Fuheng and YL seems to come to no end. By witnessing YL and FH together, QL was madly jealous and out of anger, abandoning her, but the same time missing her. And when everyone knew that she has lose the favour of QL, they treated her badly. In a way, YL wants to make QL feel guilty because she was abused because he abandoned her (despite she did nothing wrong but just a victim of rumours and plotting by others). Once QL came to realization on all this, YL elevated her status not only in rank but in QL's heart. She is not only his favourite (this term is more referrencing to current/temporary infatuation IMO) but also the most important woman in his heart. Suffice to say, YL made use of FH to get rid of her enemies, crush QL's doubt once and for all and upgrade her position to QL. 

• Like 2

I thought at the very beginning Consort Shu will become evil but later I find her character was so funny. 

-------

Can anyone translate to me the part where YL first night after she was appointed as Da Ying in ep 41-42 I think. I find it funny, QL purposely make YL waited outside so long to make her mad but at the end he was the one who got mad after found out YL eating snack.

And the part where QL hide in YL's room after waited for her all day. Did YL purposely avoided him?

6 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I thought at the very beginning Consort Shu will become evil but later I find her character was so funny. 

-------

Can anyone translate to me the part where YL first night after she was appointed as Da Ying in ep 41-42 I think. I find it funny, QL purposely make YL waited outside so long to make her mad but at the end he was the one who got mad after found out YL eating snack.

And the part where QL hide in YL's room after waited for her all day. Did YL purposely avoided him?

On episode of her promotion to Gui-ren

Spoiler

QL purposely summoned her to sleep with him at Fuca's quarters. He made her wait outside for 3 hours (not sure) and YL knew his intention. So to iritate QL, she purposely snacked while waiting and when QL found out, he told her to come inside. QL asked YL if she knew why he summoned her to Fuca's quarters and YL said its because he wanted to embarass her. QL said no, it's because he wanted the late Fuca to see how his beloved lady in waiting is so shameless and would do anything for money and status. When YL was about to leave, QL stopped her and said she is not going anywhere but to sleep with him that night and asked her to strip of her clothes. YL stripped and revealed to be wearing mourning gowns and told QL that she considered Fuca not only as her master and teacher, but also a sister and to allow her to complete the mourning period of 27months. Feeling shameful, QL let off YL. 

On the part where he waited for in her room

Spoiler

This is one of YL's early strategy to win QL's heart. She set up the tent (to shield from direct sunlight) and QL was on the way to visit Consort Jia who reported to be (fake) sick but fond of YL's gesture to win his favour, he diverted to Yanxi Palace. He was expecting her to greet him since she lured him there but she was not around. So he waited one whole day for her and then MY came to tell him that YL stucked entertaining Dowager. MY told QL that YL suggested him to not wait and visit other consorts. Ofc, QL really wanted to see her and waited till she arrived home at night. When YL found him in her bed, she asked why QL didn't visit other consort but QL said he never had any of his concubine treating him that way, making him wait for her. So yes, she purposely avoided him, playing hard to get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hakunamatata8 said:

In episode 70- finale - why were the Empress and her gang so shocked when WYL's arrival was announced? I tried following the reactions/comments/responses in mandarin but couldn't quite get it.

I think they assumed that YL had died in the fire/fight and did not expect QL to have made arrangements for her safety.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, harooxxx said:

What did QL asked to YL at the end when he greeted her after she became an Imperial Noble Consort. Did he asked her who is in her heart? Like he was still not sure whether YL love him or not.

Forgot to translate this. QL asked YL how does it feel to have everyone under her command (literally meant she is the most powerful woman in Forbidden City). YL said she feels comfortable and YL asked QL why he loves her so much. QL joked to her, telling her not to think too highly of herself and that the matter of the country is his utmost priority (even when she was severely sick). YL said QL is also not her priority, so QL demanded her answer. YL only said she will answer him within the lifetime that spend with him and ask him to wait patiently for her answer and they laughed (mean she loves him since she is willing to spend the rest of her life with him. This is co-related to her promise to be with Fuheng in her next life while dedicating this life to QL). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

Thanks @lyserose

Btw in Yanxi, there was a conflict between QL and Empress Dowager about who is his real mother...

So was this based on history or just a made up story? Niohuru Zhen Huan wasn't QL real mother?

No, Lady Niohuru (Empress Dowager) is QL's real mother. Yanxi, like in Legend of Zhen Huan, created a fictional account of this relationship. 

Issue

Hongli (弘曆; 25 September 1711 – 7 February 1799), the Yongzheng Emperor's fifth (fourth) son, enthroned on 18 October 1735 as the Qianlong Emperor

Can anyone translate that scene between YL and QL in episode 19?  They have this tense scene after she helps him with his clothes but I only understood about half of what they are saying.

Is he really mad at her or flirting or a bit of both?

9 hours ago, deslynn88 said:

Can anyone translate that scene between YL and QL in episode 19?  They have this tense scene after she helps him with his clothes but I only understood about half of what they are saying.

Is he really mad at her or flirting or a bit of both?

I believe you are referring to the scene where YL applied medicine on QL after he woke up

Spoiler

YL told QL that she added aloe vera extract to the cream to prevent dryness to the skin. So, QL concluded that this was how she won Empress Fuca's heart and YL said Fuca also treated her very nicely. QL then said, YL must have hated him since he is very fierce to her (In her inner monolgue, YL said "of course") but ofc she denied it in front of QL. Then she went on to say how Fuca is the person who really loves QL because when he was down with sickness, all his concubines avoided taking care of him except Fuca. Then she said it's hard to find true love like Fuca. QL then pulled her towards him, said that as a servant, she should not interfere into his personal life and asked her to get out. 

No. He wasn't flirting nor was he really that mad. But it was in this episode that QL first felt his heart fluttered for YL (though he didn't realize yet that he has fallen for her).

7 hours ago, jadore1 said:

Blessings to the angel that  translated ep 11 :heart:....10 not translated 

Lol. I wonder why the subtitles for this drama is very spotty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone translate the scene in 66 when YL and QL are in bed where QL is like "do you know what the Empress said to me today" and Yingluo's like "I didn't do anything"? And then they get into a little fight and then they talk and make up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

In Eps 1, what was QL testing his wives with (the painting)?

Can't really recall but as far as I remember, he gave painting depicting the 12 virtues of consorts from previous dynasties for his wives to emulate. It's his way of reminding them to be virtuous. Ofc, as Consort Gao said, the 12 virtues could only be embodied by a goddess, not a woman. At the same time, QL was also playing a trick on his wives. He knew the women in his harem have plenty of scheming since in his opinion, they are too free. So by asking them to study the paintings and figuring a way to live up to his imagination, he could have a peace of mind for a couple of days.

12 hours ago, believed said:

Can someone translate the scene in 66 when YL and QL are in bed where QL is like "do you know what the Empress said to me today" and Yingluo's like "I didn't do anything"? And then they get into a little fight and then they talk and make up.

QL relayed to YL about Step Empress complaining that YL not disciplining enough her children - allowing them to play too much and lack of studying. QL said, all royal children would want a playful mother like YL. YL reasoned to QL that her daughters would eventually be married off for diplomatic purpose, so he agreed to give them freedom while they can but questioning YL about parenting their son, Yongyan. YL said she has rights in how she wanted to raise Yongyan since he is her son too and annoyed with QL, she walked out on him. They hilariously got into a little fight and injured themselves. QL joked to YL that she could have her beheaded for walking out on him. YL said, if QL beheaded her, he would eventually miss her or maybe he could just hang her severed head by his bedside and when he feels bored, she could talk to him. When they climbed back into bed and YL massaging QL's back, she told QL that Yongyan has been sick since he was young and therefore she wanted him to enjoy his life. She said her son may not be the smartest among all the princes but all she wanted is for him to be the healthiest and happiest of them all. QL said the situation is different because Yongyan is a prince and all royal children need to be studious to leave a good name in history. YL said, since QL already chosen Yongqi as his heir, she wanted him to cut off some slacks on Yongyan. Plus, she said QL is still healthy and have a long life and still could protect her and her children. QL was delighted by her words. When it was QL's turn to massage YL, he just reminded her to stop disturbing Yongyan and let him study.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, believed said:

As ALWAYS, thank you so much @lyserose -- what would this thread do without you and @Cedric Ong? That's one of my favorite scenes so I'm so happy to know the full details! In the interest of livening this thread up, what is everyone else's favorite scenes?

I get very excited whenever there is a new post in this forum lol. Personally, I like the the scenes where YL was trying to play hard with QL lol. They were just so funny. Also, I like the part where QL and YL bicker on the bed like old couple :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blessedchild said:

I get very excited whenever there is a new post in this forum lol. Personally, I like the the scenes where YL was trying to play hard with QL lol. They were just so funny. Also, I like the part where QL and YL bicker on the bed like old couple :D

I get excited too! I really love seeing what people have to say about my latest favorite show haha. And I love those scenes too -- it's why my favorite episodes (and the ones I rewatch the most) tend to be in the back half of the series, even though I always miss Empress Fuca :tears: 

I love:

- Every scene that YL gets promoted in, especially whenever someone expresses shock and anger

- Eps 48-49, which I think of as the QL/YL calm before the storm, when YL enjoyed the height of his favor

- When Yingluo kneels through the snow

- Fuca's dancing scene

- Ep 64, just all of it, really

- All the married YL/QL scenes

- When QL finds out that Fuca is pregnant and he jumps in happiness (I thought that was a really nice detail Nie Yuan did)

- All the YL/Yongqi scenes

- When Fuca meets Yongqi for the first time (because it just makes me laugh thinking of HZGG)

I'm sure I'll think of more, but obviously, mine is heavily biased towards YL/QL :x

• Like 2

12 hours ago, believed said:

As ALWAYS, thank you so much @lyserose -- what would this thread do without you and @Cedric Ong? That's one of my favorite scenes so I'm so happy to know the full details! In the interest of livening this thread up, what is everyone else's favorite scenes?

Most welcome. I will be very happy to assist whichever I can.

I am in a drama slump after Yanxi. Currently watching "Ruyi" and K-sageuk "100 Days My Prince" but my sense of attachment towards Yanxi is still very strong. I don't find the same emotional resonance with these two shows.  It's the same like few months ago when I was burnt out by "My Ajusshi" before finally found my latest addiction in Yanxi. 

My favourite scene has got to be the snow scene in episode 36, but just to be more specific, it is the scene where QL picked up YL in the snow (even though he was the culprit who gave her that punishment. LOL). I guess that was the moment of realization for QL and to think of an Emperor picking up the lowest level maid in the snow, surely says a lot.

While I love all scene with QL and YL (I especially love the early bits when he was clueless over his own interest, thus always picking a fight with her), the one that delivered the strongest emotional punch is the scene where YL promised Fuheng to spend her next life with him. I must applaud the way this scene was put together - showing YL crying in silence with just tears running down her face and reminiscing the young Fuheng in his guard uniform smiling at her as if acknowledging that long awaited promise and the sight of his back walking out of the palace gate together with the music really ripped my heart out. I still maintain that I always wanted YL to be with QL right from the get go but I do feel sorry for Fuheng and yes, he deserves her, at least in their next life.

• Like 1