Jump to content

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, believed said:

What do YL and QL say during the conversation they have before QL makes Yongqi Prince Rong (when YL comes into the room and massages his temples and she brings up how she's worried something will happen to Yongyan)?

 

Spoiler

QL said he knew why YL came to see him that is she wanted justice for Yongqi. If she didn't ask that from him, he said that is out of her character. YL said she considered Yongqi as her own son whereas Yongcheng (Consort Jia's son who was taken care by Empress Xian) is an outsider. But they are both QL's sons and she understands whatever decision would be very difficult on QL. QL said other consorts would claimed that all his sons are theirs as well, except YL whom is always honest and telling him the truth. YL said that all human can never be fair when comes to love and that one normally favours her own son (here she is referring to Empress Xian who also has a grown up son Yongji). QL said her words carry hidden meaning. She said she suspected that Cheng Qian Palace has something to do with the accident of Yongqi. She said QL lost two sons at one go (Yongqi crippled by the accident and Yongcheng arrested for allegedly conspiring the accident) and she is concerned about the safety of her own son Yongyan. QL assures her that he will take care of that matter. YL said she trusted QL but not that person (most likely suspecting the Empress). 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@ChloeR I agree with your viewpoint. Your views are well said      Personally I am on the emperor ship. I think it’s quite unfair to compare the love that Ying Luo have with the king and the

I also think that while Fuheng has his knight-in-shining armour identity by doing the secret sweet stuff for WYL eg replacing her heater, making sure she is okay and generally watching over her etc, s

Nicely put. Didn't realise this but yes it is that rare drama where the emperor had to work really hard to win his concubine's heart. That's what this drama special too. Nie Yuan sold QL the way that

I am still developing my feeling on YL and QL. I don't know but QL looks so mature and YL looks so young, probably because her petite body..so i'm cringed when i watching their romantic moment.

 

I ship Fuheng and YL because they look good and suitable together and because i feel so bad/ sorry for Fuheng. He could have a happy ending if QL didn't forbade and separated them. 

 

But then i am ok with the flow of their separation. He cannot blame YL for being QL's concubine since  YL didn't left/ dump him to be with the Emperor. In fact YL gave a last honour on her love to him by walked on the snow. He was the one making the wrong move by agreed to marry EQ. Although i think he could find other way to save YL.

 

------------------- 

i wonder what was YL, QL and Ula Nara talked about in ep.68/69...when QL showing interest to the dancer, then YL sat next to YL..did Ula Nara told YL she cannot sit next to them....

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

i wonder what was YL, QL and Ula Nara talked about in ep.68/69...when QL showing interest to the dancer, then YL sat next to YL..did Ula Nara told YL she cannot sit next to them....

U mean on the ship? I will base on what i remember now...ok QL was very interested in the dancers and even wanted to see another famous one from outside. Step Empress felt it is improper and tried to discourage QL. YL tried to defuse the awkward situation by going along with QL but add that it is natural for ppl to want to see beautiful stuff...even for her she wanted to employ and watch handsome eunuches also. Even Shu and Qing consorts went along with her on this by saying they would send her some. Then they started to say some officials are around on the ship, they might hear this conversation...these would go on record and reflect badly on them. 

Actually it is her way to persuade QL not to indivge too much into this entertainment...but more indirect compared to the Step empress.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

U mean on the ship? I will base on what i remember now...ok QL was very interested in the dancers and even wanted to see another famous one from outside. Step Empress felt it is improper and tried to discourage QL. YL tried to defuse the awkward situation by going along with QL but add that it is natural for ppl to want to see beautiful stuff...even for her she wanted to employ and watch handsome eunuches also. Even Shu and Qing consorts went along with her on this by saying they would send her some. Then they started to say some officials are around on the ship, they might hear this conversation...these would go on record and reflect badly on them. 

Actually it is her way to persuade QL not to indivge too much into this entertainment...but more indirect compared to the Step empress.

 

 

Then he got jealous because YL got interested in eunuches and asked to stop the dance. lol YL is so smart. Poor the Empress, QL doesn't care about her at all.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

 

 

Then he got jealous because YL got interested in eunuches and asked to stop the dance. lol YL is so smart. Poor the Empress, QL doesn't care about her at all.

 

Actually he knew she was joking. But he got the message that his reputation will take a hit if the records said he fancied too much entertainment.

This part is similar to other parts...they knew too well of each other....they understand each other. 

 

The focus isnt on that he didnt like the Step empress. It is more like she didnt understand him as well n her methods of loving him might be abit off. But i do understand she have to be proper....her language has to be proper. But she is abit too stiff. If Fuca is still alive...probably she would act in a way that is btw Xianfei and Yingluo...in such scenerio of persuading QL.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Actually he knew she was joking. But he got the message that his reputation will take a hit if the records said he fancied too much entertainment.

This part is similar to other parts...they knew too well of each other....they understand each other. 

 

The focus isnt on that he didnt like the Step empress. It is more like she didnt understand him as well n her methods of loving him might be abit off. But i do understand she have to be proper....her language has to be proper. But she is abit too stiff. If Fuca is still alive...probably she would act in a way that is btw Xianfei and Yingluo...in such scenerio of persuading QL.

 

Oh ok now i get it. Haha always have hidden meaning in their convo and action. 

 

Thats why hard to understand without eng sub and need a proper explanation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

The focus isnt on that he didnt like the Step empress. It is more like she didnt understand him as well n her methods of loving him might be abit off. But i do understand she have to be proper....her language has to be proper. But she is abit too stiff. If Fuca is still alive...probably she would act in a way that is btw Xianfei and Yingluo...in such scenerio of persuading QL.

Towards the end of the series, I do find Step Empress pitiful. Came to think of it, she turned into the dark side was the result of others pressure on her. In the beginning, it was Consort Gao and towards the end, it was the spiteful Yuan Chun Wang. Ofc, it's not totally right to justify the wrongs on others and she is also responsible for all her misdeeds.

 

As much as I like QL and YL, he is not really a doting husband to the Step Empress, when at later age, she was more desiring her husband's attention. He admitted that he could hardly find common ground with her. And all he cares about is YL and YL (if this drama is to go by) seems to not really share QL's affection with others (based on the complaints by his other concubines). The moment she gets back into QL's good grace, she is his ultimate favourite and he is all hers. I wonder if this is really what happened in history since all (except two) of his later children all came from Consort Ling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lyserose said:

As much as I like QL and YL, he is not really a doting husband to the Step Empress, when at later age, she was more desiring her husband's attention. He admitted that he could hardly find common ground with her. And all he cares about is YL and YL (if this drama is to go by) seems to not really share QL's affection with others (based on the complaints by his other concubines). The moment she gets back into QL's good grace, she is his ultimate favourite and he is all hers. I wonder if this is really what happened in history since all (except two) of his later children all came from Consort Ling.

Yeah, this is definitely one of his faults. When he doesn't have someone he really loves (Fuca or YL) he's more attentive to everyone else, but when he does, he tends to concentrate his affection on that one person (though YL of course got most of it). Remember at the beginning of the show when the Dowager commented that she didn't say anything (about him not visiting his other concubines) and favoring Fuca because she had given birth to a son? And they showed that -- within the constraints of him being emperor -- that he really loved Fuca. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, believed said:

Yeah, this is definitely one of his faults. When he doesn't have someone he really loves (Fuca or YL) he's more attentive to everyone else, but when he does, he tends to concentrate his affection on that one person (though YL of course got most of it). Remember at the beginning of the show when the Dowager commented that she didn't say anything (about him not visiting his other concubines) and favoring Fuca because she had given birth to a son? And they showed that -- within the constraints of him being emperor -- that he really loved Fuca. 

Ya. The moment he reconciled with Fuca, he basically abandoned the rest. And then he had a falling out with Fuca (over Fuheng's marriage and her disability), he switched his attention to Consort Chun. Not to mention that Step Empress and Consort Shu only got pregnant after YL left for Yuan Ming Garden. I am curious to know how this resembled what actually happened. Based on the records of QL's children, the moment Consort Ling basically fell pregnant almost every year, the rest of his concubines seems to stop producing him children. Quite much like what happened in the drama - focusing only on his favourite, Ofc, we don't know how true this is but quite a close resemblance indeed.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lyserose said:

Towards the end of the series, I do find Step Empress pitiful. Came to think of it, she turned into the dark side was the result of others pressure on her. In the beginning, it was Consort Gao and towards the end, it was the spiteful Yuan Chun Wang. Ofc, it's not totally right to justify the wrongs on others and she is also responsible for all her misdeeds.

 

As much as I like QL and YL, he is not really a doting husband to the Step Empress, when at later age, she was more desiring her husband's attention. He admitted that he could hardly find common ground with her. And all he cares about is YL and YL (if this drama is to go by) seems to not really share QL's affection with others (based on the complaints by his other concubines). The moment she gets back into QL's good grace, she is his ultimate favourite and he is all hers. I wonder if this is really what happened in history since all (except two) of his later children all came from Consort Ling.

 

 

You make me think the same with Step Empress. In history, after so many years she lived with Emperor, only after she was promoted as Step Empress, she got a kids. I was thinking, did Emperor didn't gave her attention and hardly to spend time with her(?), only after became Step Empress, he took noticed on her but seems like that just for a while since only in 4 years she got pregnants then later all from Consort Ling ( got pregnant non stop within 10 years lol).

 

But even before Consort Ling childless also she got attention from QL, if not she won't get promoted to fast compared to the others.


Thats why when i watching Yanxi, i can imagine this as the overall picture with history instead of Ruyi. Ruyi twisted the story too much and i wonder how it gonna end with the villain Consort Ling's role in Ruyi when she was the one in history had a great ending lol..

 

----------------------

(bold lines) what did the other concubines said...

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few previous postings mentioned Nie Yuan's acting. Indeed i came across an article....if u only look at the overall script...Qianlong as a husband isnt that good....there are flaws (but still he was better than some others in history and definitely better than the one portrayed in Ruyi legend)...if not for Nie Yuan's acting,  his own interpretation of some parts and his little cute mannerisms....viewers might dislike this Qianlong alot.

 

On a general level...as much as an Emperor has responsibility to care as equally as possible to all wives...his personality (compatible with who) and how he view beauty and talents...ultimately decide who he like more. I would say it is partly his fault but also not totally. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, harooxxx said:

----------------------

(bold lines) what did the other concubines said...

This is more in reference circa episode 43 - 53.

Spoiler

The concubines had their usual gathering (minus YL) and complaining about YL not allowing QL to visit the rest and QL basically abandoned all of them for her. Then Zhen Er also said, even when QL doted on Consort Chun (after Fuca's death, before YL become his concubine), the rest were never abandoned. Consort Chun also mentioned that unlike YL, she advised QL to attend to his other wives but YL only keep QL to herself. Also, in episode 53, where QL forgotten about his promise to enjoy the view of moon with Consort Shu, instead spending the night with YL, YL herself told QL that Consort Shu been complaining about how she's been stealing QL from her and going to hate YL even more. Then after the 10 years time jump, Prince He said YL been QL's favorite and how he is so besotted by her all those years that he didn't pay attention to the rest. 

 

Spoiler

And there's a scene of words exchange between YL and Consort Shu outside of Shou Kang Palace where Consort Shu trying to sarcastically corner YL about her rewards for placing her 2 daughters under Dowager. YL simply said to her that "Do you have a child to give away?" and Consort Shu got angry. I am not sure what was the meaning, but shortly after that Consort Shu said she isn't as fortunate as YL to have 3 babies whereas her son died shortly after birth. I am not sure why she is pessimistic - either she could not give birth anymore (thus no children) or she didn't really have time given by QL to her? 

 

It's really interesting to know that Nie Yuan actually made QL likeable instead of the character being written to be likeable. My utmost respect to him as an actor. He is truly amazing. It must be difficult for the other camp since this QL been really beloved and Nie Yuan made a strong impression.

 

5 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I am still developing my feeling on YL and QL. I don't know but QL looks so mature and YL looks so young, probably because her petite body..so i'm cringed when i watching their romantic moment.

 

I ship Fuheng and YL because they look good and suitable together and because i feel so bad/ sorry for Fuheng. He could have a happy ending if QL didn't forbade and separated them. 

 

But then i am ok with the flow of their separation. He cannot blame YL for being QL's concubine since  YL didn't left/ dump him to be with the Emperor. In fact YL gave a last honour on her love to him by walked on the snow. He was the one making the wrong move by agreed to marry EQ. Although i think he could find other way to save YL.

Well, in reality, Consort Ling is 16 years younger than QL whereas NY is actually 12 years older than WJY. I think they are physically compatible (ok, I am bias here). Plus, NY is quite a looker.....I've watched some other dramas where the emperor visual made it very hard to engross in the romance, so I am so thankful that they casted him as QL. Lol.

 

Fuheng is easy to like, some more he is a real tragedy here. A handsome one woman's man, girlfriend got stolen by the man he has to loyally serve and married to a monster with a son that is not even his, and perhaps he is still a virgin until the end of the series (lol). It's practically an easy role for a less experienced actor as Xu Kai. Based on modern perspective, Fuheng easily win when pitted against QL and that's why I said Nie Yuan is brilliant - because with all the flawed qualities of QL against Fuheng, he still make QL so endearing. In the hands of an average actor, QL could easily be buried by Fuheng and easy to hate.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The scriptwriter is not bad.....some parts are quite delicately written (about the chars' mentality and behavior)....and also manage to link to real history. For example....the part where Fuheng submitted a calligraphy/painting to QIanlong who already had the same piece. I think when he saw that new piece, he knew he had been duped on the older fake one. But still he asked Yingluo about it. I'm not sure if YL is able to see the difference but she probably guessed QL's mind. She insisted QL's old piece is real and FH's fake. After she left, QL then told Li Yu the truth and said YL didn't want him to put stamp-marks on the good real piece.  And YL while leaving his palace told her maid that he knew...but she knew he won't want to lose face...so she lied...and probably he knew she knew too....haha...sound complicated.

 

Anyway back to the painting. As YL also mocked, QL had this habit of putting his stamp-mark on paintings and calligraphy, a way of saying this part is good...thus often there were alot on many pieces. While to future collectors, his stamp-marks might make a piece valuable....but they also mar the beauty of the piece. And that particular painting is well-known in history that QL really messed up and thought the real one is fake....thus it really "escaped" having too many stamp-marks on it. Whether Ling Consort is involved or not, there's no record. But the script-writer is clever to write this in.

 

****************************

 

There are a few parts which left a slightly unsatisfying taste.

1) The Step Empress or Xian Consort always thought badly of Fuca for calling back the palace physician who was supposed to go treat her brother in the prison. She thought Fuca is a hypocrite and never knew it's Chun Consort who persuaded Fuca. I was hoping that she would know she had harmed an innocent person.

 

2) The part where Gao Consort pushed Fuca after the bats caused a commotion. If i remember correctly, Shu Consort was involved in helping Gao, right? Either giving ideas or helping to release the bats? She was standing nearby anticipating the events. But she was never found out....and eventually even became a good char.

 

3) This is more like a doubt....i suspect Yingluo's dad was bribed into hurting his leg and getting Yingluo to leave the palace to take care of him. And it was the same night Fuca's son died in the fire. Though probably she can't do much if she's there. But it's too much of a coincidence. Interestingly he never appeared in the drama after that. Maybe to save acting fees...haha.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back then when I watch Empresses In The Palace, I can tell the fight between concubines and consorts on winning Emperor's attention. The insecurity among them was obvious. Even Zhen Huan who was loved dearly by Yozheng Emperor also need to fight to get Emperor's favour.

 

But in Yanxi Palace, Consort Ling was so relaxed. She doesn't have to fight to get QL's attention. She seems didn't care whether QL come or not. Instead it was QL feel uneasy if YL didn't come to him, thus make him crawling back to YL. Lol

 

----------

Somehow Yanxi Palace we can relate very much to the history.

 

Consort Ling..she died as Imperial Noble Consort Ling then months after her death in 1775, Emperor upgraded her title to Imperial Noble Consort Lingyi posthumously (same rank but added Yi). Later again she was posthumously promoted to Empress Xiaoyi in 1795 and lastly after 4 years, in 1799, once again upgraded her title to Empress Xiaoyichun.

 

I can tell QL never forget her although she died long before him. Although it was just added some name on it but it shown the respect and honour from him for her. Esp after he let the space next to him at the burial sites empty for many years and when Consort Ling dead, he allowed her to be there.

 

 

Like Cedric said, no records of her family background, talents, beauty about her but she managed to be QL's favourite till the end of her life. Maybe it right, QL compatibility with her make him liked and favoured her the most after Fuca. He doted many of his wives but Ling probably the most doted one after Fuca.

 

He probably chose Yongyan to be his successor because he wants to make Ling as an Empress. Could be...

 

-------------

 

What did QL asked to YL at the end when he greeted her after she became an Imperial Noble Consort. Did he asked her who is in her heart? Like he was still not sure whether YL love him or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

There are a few parts which left a slightly unsatisfying taste.

To add up.... I am also not happy that there is no clarification on the paternity of Er Qing's son. Also no clarification whether YL knew that the night between QL and Er Qing was schemed. 

 

25 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

But in Yanxi Palace, Consort Ling was so relaxed. She doesn't have to fight to get QL's attention. She seems didn't care whether QL come or not. Instead it was QL feel uneasy if YL didn't come to him, thus make him crawling back to YL. Lol

Not to say she didn't fight for his attention. It was just she used a different method - the "push and pull" method. It worked on QL. If she kept shoving herself to him the way the rest of his concubines did, he won't find her interesting. YL's different approach is what glued QL to her. 

 

Just based on the drama... I find Consort Shu's seduction method the most hilarious and not to mention she was snubbed the most. Lol

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't watch Ruyi but read that the methods the women used are more ruthless...and not merely just to win QL's affection only...alot of personal hatred. Yanxi is still abit simpler.

 

Ya...Shu consort was more of a comic relief char. In the drama, she was supposed to be very rich and high profile..and in history, she actually came in much earlier than Qing consort (in drama, they came in together)...but in the end Qing consort rose much higher than her. Perhaps Qing did have some merit which is not shown in the drama (actually in drama, besides kind, she is a sensible person who survive by her own low profile manner)...and of course bcos she helped to raise the next Emperor.

 

* about the last part btw QL and Ling...need to rewatch later.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

During the scene in 68, when Dowager is reprimanding (?) the Step Empress after Consort Shu tells her about what happened to Yongyan, what are they saying during that scene? Actually, is she even reprimanding her?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, believed said:

During the scene in 68, when Dowager is reprimanding (?) the Step Empress after Consort Shu tells her about what happened to Yongyan, what are they saying during that scene? Actually, is she even reprimanding her?

She told her that no matter whoever is responsible for endangering the emperor's children, she held Step Empress Xian responsible because she is the person in-charge of the harem. Basically everyone suspecting her of all those mishaps happening to the princes because only Yongji (her son) was spared. And everyone seen her as no longer fit to manage the harem (QL considered her badly sick), thus wanting YL to take over.

 

The last straw on the camel's back is when he wanted to promote YL as Huang Gui Fei which Dowager disagreed with. Cause as Dowager mentioned, Huang Gui Fei and Empress can't co-exist and actually, QL can still get YL to manage the harem without further promoting her (Remember Xian managed the harem simply as Xian Fei when Fuca was in coma) . I wonder why QL wanted to promote YL further when she can take over the task from Step Empress while still being a Gui Fei. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree with Cedric Ong on the part on Fuca and Step Empress. I wish the same too.

11 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

1) The Step Empress or Xian Consort always thought badly of Fuca for calling back the palace physician who was supposed to go treat her brother in the prison. She thought Fuca is a hypocrite and never knew it's Chun Consort who persuaded Fuca. I was hoping that she would know she had harmed an innocent person

 

However I do enjoy the pace and how the script went with QL and YL. How QL initially favor YL but there was no trust and understanding, especially when QL believe on the rumors about YL and Fuhen. However at the later stage, how the trust and understanding slowly builds up. These few scenes really caught me :-

1.  In the earlier part even before YL was his concubine, when she claimed that QL brother wanted to rape her - QL actually believe YL rather than his own brother.

2. When 5th prince was said to be poison by YL. QL allowed YL to defend herself and to show proof of her innocence.

3. When Chun consort was killed with the kite string. How QL knows it was not YL but he just wanted YL to explain herself. He was mad with YL because she didnt explain and not because he suspected YL killing Chun consort.

4. QL suspected on Chen Bi rather than YL when chen bi use the scissors to hurt herself.

 

It is like as long as YL is willing to say so, QL will believe. I am not sure if it was trust and understanding between QL and YL or its because QL understands his harem, or it could be both.....

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..