Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

@rubie, that '지금 내뒤를 밟은거요' means 'Did you follow me'. That quote is from Aeshin in episode 3, when Aeshin and Eugene met by luck on dock near Hongpa's place to get to kiln site.

Loved the scene after that, meeting Eunsan ( Eugene's happy face ! ) and following playful ride. Even without knowing the term Love, Aeshin definitely liked Eugene and very direct considering the culture back then. :wub:

I certainly remember that scene, LOL.. their attraction to each other was so apparent since the rooftop encounter. The drama had so much of chemistry between the leads building up slowly with each episode, what they call it.. the slow burn romance(?) but very surely that striking attraction between Eugene and AeShin grew stronger each & every time they met. They definitely were intrigued by the other person and can't help being interested in everything despite trying to hide the mutual feeling. :wub: Well, here I go again.. if only the ending between EC and AS became that happy fictional reality, I think the ending would still be as memorable as the ending that happened in KES' reality. Anyway, thanks so much for the clarification. We'd probably will have more IG posts by LBH using the captions from MR.SUNSHINE. Due to this, the fans on twitter are saying that he's now the president of the 'Can't move on from Mr.Sunshine' club.. :lol:

After MR.SUNSHINE OST Limited Edition sets, here comes the drama Photobook which looks so beautiful and special. There's also jigsaw puzzle sets from the drama.. oh wow.. I have a soft spot for puzzles.. :P After the highly-sought PPLs and studio-filming tour, there's really no stopping for the souvenir items and merchandise now.

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for the highlight, sourced from RHK Books

• Like 7

BIG LOVE to Ruro, even the Korean artist knew the wishes of EuShin fans :wub:.. for the elusive letter K to appear. Well, we didn't get that but now we have it. Really heartwarming that we have such cool artwork by fans of MR.SUNSHINE. The best!

Looks like our fabulous duo, the very much-loved Ms.Haman & Mr.Haengrang are now TV CF stars. The new Samsung Asset Management CF features the right & left hand doing the most popular MR.SUNSHINE parodies ~ Hongpa's arrow message, the EuShin hand gesture, AS & DM skirt scene, the hug (of course!) and. . as a treat, they got married, too! :blush:

So awesome to see the drama cast really getting such great support & feedback from the fans and more jobs from the big companies as well..

It's a pretty long clip, I think it's being shown in 3 or 4 separate segments but here's the whole (almost) 3-minute CF. :) Enjoy!

Published on October 18, 2018 by 삼성자산운용

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Are those BYH and YYS on advertisement prints on the side of cars? I think that's first time I saw one of BYH and YYS. It's the cutest!!! :wub: :D If I were in Seoul, I would probably be one of those obvious tourist fan girl taking selfies chasing after those cars :D

And that Samsung CF parodies of the show... Sooooo cute!!! Even if I dont understand at all what they are saying hahaha thanks for sharing @rubie  these posts are just what i need for my Mr Sunshine withdrawal symptoms :wub:

• Like 5

On 10/18/2018 at 4:05 PM, rubie said:

Come out, come out! Don't stay in that hole of withdrawal, you'll be drowned in your tears.. th_no2.gif we don't want that, no no. Make this thread your new 'hole' .. like me (that's why I'm always here :P).. let it out at the thread instead. Maybe it will make you feel better.. maybe not yet but don't cry alone

"Come out, come out?" And you don't think I should stay in my hole? And you think I'll be drowned in my tears? Well, you're making me cry! So you made me drown in my tears!  And you don't want to me to stay in my 'hole'?? Wahhhhhhhhhhh. And please don't say that. And I'll say it again. I'm crying! I believe you make me want to stay. And I want to meet you in other forums/threads here. I believe I love reading your thoughts. So I wish I could make this my new 'hole'. I wish I could stay. And I wish I could make this my new 'hole' like you. Awww. I think you're making me sad. So you're always here! I understand. I want to be here too. So you think I should let it all out in this thread? And you think it'll make me feel better? And you said "Maybe not yet but don't cry alone?" I understand. I really really wish this could be true for me. So I lost all my faith in soompi. A lot things happened here. And I can't forgive myself! I wanted to share my feelings about Mr. Sunshine. I think the drama is really special to me. And I think it's really close to my heart. And LBH is in it! So that makes this drama extra extra special! So I told myself, "I will leave now." And I said, "I shared my feelings!" So this is hard. "I'm becoming attached to you and the others here!" I love this thread. I think everyone is so nice here :). So I'm a bad person. And I don't want to make any of you become like me. And I make a lot of trouble. So I think it's best if I leave soompi. I don't think I fit in here! I don't think I'm good enough for soompi. So these are my feelings. I'm crying again. I think you are so sweet and nice. So I 'm going do something different. I think I'm going to go into the shadows :ph34r:.

Me to you and the others here:

Image result for happy gifs

Spoiler

I don't want to leave. I think it's for the best :D. Have you ever heard of "toxic" people? Well, I think I'm toxic person. And I'm really really sorry. I think my response is stupid. I don't want to scare anyone away. I hope I'm making sense. Does this make sense? 

@ everyone else Please ignore this! I'm just sharing my feelings. I'm so stupid. Hahahahaha! :D.

If you're on twitter, there're a lot of MR.SUNSHINE fans going through withdrawal and they're sharing fanfics as well as updates on what (LBH, and others) are doing and recommending which previous work to watch.. as part of the withdrawal process. It is real indeed.. this drama really affected a lot of fans. :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

Yes I do! Thank you for sharing. I love fanfics!!! Sometimes I like to write fanfics! Hehehehe! So there are a lot of us going through withdrawl?! I'm so happy I'm not alone! And there are updates on my LBH too! I will definitely look at this! I promise! So you think this drama is real too? And you think it really affected a lot of fans! Yay! I'm so happy you think this too! I believe we're linked through our minds! I'm just kidding :D.

As much as I love I Saw the Devil (not really the kind of movie to watch on reruns th_hush.gif), there are other good movies by LBH that could be a new favorite. By the way, he has started the filming of a new movie recently. So, he's probably also trying not to think about EC too much.. well, he has to adapt quickly .. to be in a new role. But working for a year on the drama, who wouldn't be attached to it, right. LBH stated that he found it most interesting about the character of Hee Sung once he started filming, and he was not wrong because HS did grow on everyone by the end of series.

Spoiler

So you don't think I Saw the Devil is the kind of movie to watch on reruns. Well, I love it too. I agree with you. I think, "Why did he kill all those women?" and "LBH's character's wife was murdered." And I don't like the way the women died :(. And it kinda scares me. I ask, "Are there really people out there who kill women like that?" and I ask, "Would I let someone give me a ride?" I think I would still watch it again. I think I just want to see LBH's acting. And his co-star is a good actor too. I also watched  The Chaser with I Saw the Devil! I think that movie made me sad. I also asked, "Why is he killing all these women? And why is he killing them like that?" And I thought, "Please save these women!" I think all the actors were amazing in that movie too! I'm sorry. I believe this is off-topic :wub: Ok. I'm going to go back to LBH! So he has started filming a new movie? Wow! I'm so happy! I can't wait!!! :D. I think you're right. I think he's going to try to not think about EC very much too. I think he will focus on this new role. I believe he will put his heart and soul into this role. I think I said this. I don't think he will disappoint us!! :D. So he worked on his drama for a whole year. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! :D. I understand! I ask, "Who wouldn't be attached to EC?!" Hehehe! So LBH stated he found it most interesting about the character  Hee Sung once he started filming? I understand him. I found Hee Sung very interesting too. I think I still have questions about him. And I wanted to know what he was thinking. I wish we could hear more of his thinking! I believe he started a newspaper company, right?! Well, I loved that! I think it was so different! And I think it was interesting when he let go Ae-sin. I think he had deep feelings for her :bawling:.  So Hee Sung grew on everyone by the end of the series? Well, I can understand. I think he grew on me too. I think he grew on me from the start. I think the actor is very passionate. And I think you can see how he feels on his face. I love that about him :wub:. Gah. I miss him. So you suggested I go on twitter! I hope I find some Hee Sung fanfics :wub::D

Hopefully we won't stray away from the topic of MR.SUNSHINE at this thread, let's continue sharing about it. I am sure despite the well-known ending, there will be new fans watching the drama and will join to share their thoughts as well. Not to mention other award ceremonies coming later this year and next, so.. there will always be something to share. It might not be that active but it certainly won't be that quiet either

Yes, I hope we won't away from the topic of the drama too. I think we should continue sharing about too. I will be reading your thoughts and the others too. I think I said this. I wish I could share too :wub: This is off-topic too. I'll get back to the drama! I think you're right about the new fans. I wish I didn't say, "This person died!" So please new fans! Ignore me! So there are other awards ceremonies coming up this year and the next? Well, I will continue to read this thread! I can't wait! I hope our cast wins all the awards! I think you're right. I think there will always be something to share too. So you don't think it will be that quiet either? Well, I hope you're right! :D. Thanks for putting up with me :D. I don't think you have to respond right now. I think you should respond when you want to. And I think it's okay if you don't respond at all. I wish our cast the best at the awards ceremonies! And thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings! And I think you should read all of this! I miss this drama! I will say that 10000000000000000 time. And thank you for posting LBH and HiNa from APAN. I guess I quoted your images. I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

Edit: Quoted images are removed:

@cynkdf Thank you for sharing Vlive :) 

So ill try to make this my last post. I don't want this! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm going to cry!! :bawling: I love you all. And there are some of you I haven't met! I'm sorry :D.

@aurelionsol Please check you PM! :D.

Me right now:

Image result for crying gifs

credit to owner

Ok. Bye...:bawling:

Me going to my shadows:

Spoiler

Related image

credit to owner

Edit: Oh my! I believe this is long post! I told myself I would keep them short! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm still thinking about Mr. Sunshine :wub: I think I saic this too. I will be reading this thread :D. I'm repeating things. So it's late where I live :D. I miss Mr. Sunshine. Wahhhhhhhhhh more crying. Yes, I'm in withdrawl. I'm going to go see this twitter thing! :D.

Off-topic:

Edit: I don't think I quoted @rubie 's images. I believe I posted them again. Why are you attacking me? :( 

Edited by 2handsintertwined
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, rubie said:

I certainly remember that scene, LOL.. their attraction to each other was so apparent since the rooftop encounter. The drama had so much of chemistry between the leads building up slowly with each episode, what they call it.. the slow burn romance(?) but very surely that striking attraction between Eugene and AeShin grew stronger each & every time they met. They definitely were intrigued by the other person and can't help being interested in everything despite trying to hide the mutual feeling. :wub: Well, here I go again.. if only the ending between EC and AS became that happy fictional reality, I think the ending would still be as memorable as the ending that happened in KES' reality. Anyway, thanks so much for the clarification. We'd probably will have more IG posts by LBH using the captions from MR.SUNSHINE. Due to this, the fans on twitter are saying that he's now the president of the 'Can't move on from Mr.Sunshine' club.. :lol:

After MR.SUNSHINE OST Limited Edition sets, here comes the drama Photobook which looks so beautiful and special. There's also jigsaw puzzle sets from the drama.. oh wow.. I have a soft spot for puzzles.. :P After the highly-sought PPLs and studio-filming tour, there's really no stopping for the souvenir items and merchandise now.

I have watched a lot of drama before Mr. Sunshine. Those couple that often shared alot of intimacy together has never strike me this hard the way EuShin did. Their constraint, respect, understanding for each other is truly out of this world. 

AeShin knew that Eugene has never been fond of Joseon, and yet never once she tried to change his perspective, and never once she allowed that to stop her from loving him. Eugene knew that nothing can stop her from continuing her involvement in RA, and when it comes to saving Joseon and living a happy life together in US, AeShin will always choose the former. Despite that, Eugene kept on supporting her (gave her sniper as gift, lost his captain rank, imprisonment for 3 year, and his own life) and never love her any lesser. Their love is pure and unconditional. 

This is how love suppose to be portrayed, not just physically. 

Too bad, the ending was as heartbroken as it is.......i hope the director cut will extend more scenes into the existing episodes, especially the final episode....!!

It's just sad that KES has decided to glorify the RA in sadist fashion. Otherwise AeShin could've joined Eugene to US to disclosed the cruel act of japaneese army to the whole world. 

• Like 7

On 10/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, kansas424 said:

I have watched a lot of drama before Mr. Sunshine. Those couple that often shared alot of intimacy together has never strike me this hard the way EuShin did. Their constraint, respect, understanding for each other is truly out of this world. 

AeShin knew that Eugene has never been fond of Joseon, and yet never once she tried to change his perspective, and never once she allowed that to stop her from loving him. Eugene knew that nothing can stop her from continuing her involvement in RA, and when it comes to saving Joseon and living a happy life together in US, AeShin will always choose the former. Despite that, Eugene kept on supporting her (gave her sniper as gift, lost his captain rank, imprisonment for 3 year, and his own life) and never love her any lesser. Their love is pure and unconditional. 

This is how love suppose to be portrayed, not just physically. 

Can't agree more! Well-said. Their relationship is just to understand, support and be there for the other person, no questions asked but just to be there. It's just that the build-up of the strong chemistry in the first 20 episodes (minus ep1 and the 3 years of jailtime) have been portrayed so consistently good that we can't help and truly root for this couple.. that they will be able to live and fight together in the honor of their fallen comrades. At the very least, it would have been a more rational ending.. given the background of EC and how he could have actually survived. He had escaped far more dangerous missions, at least given him a bit more credit as a former military man. Felt that the deaths of Ms.Haman & Mr.Haengrang especially have been too much to bear as they sacrificed their lives for Ae Shin (and RA) to live on, they also knew what Eugene meant to her. At least extend that hope for a bit of happiness (to hold hands, to live & die together) by showing EC surviving as well. H&H died together and nearby, about the same time and AS was there as her mother drew her last breath in her arms. What about Eugene?

Oh well.. oh well.. oh.. well.. th_sad011.gif

The wonderful artists especially must have gone through their own MR.SUNSHINE withdrawal.. must be so bittersweet having shared such beautiful creations with all the fans and now having to let go. th_bye2.gif

Beautiful art by mmeflm

• Like 5

@rubie and @kansas424 Thanks for sharing :D . So I just noticed something. I messed up my post to rubie. I don't know how to use spoilers. I hope you understand me :D:wub:

Edit:

Ahhhhh she's so pretty:

Image result for hina kudo mr sunshine gifs

credit to owner(Kim Min-Jung)

I want her in more dramas. And I want her to be lead actress! I understand some fans haven't watched this show. So I will try not to spoil it for anyone. I want to go to her Glory Hotel! I want to stay there too! :bawling: I have never watched Kim Min-Jung in a drama before. I can't wait to see her again! I think she is such a beautiful and lovely person. And I love her in this role.

Edited by 2handsintertwined
I don't know how to post images. And I don't know how to use spoiler :( Crying
  • Like 5

@2handsintertwined to use the spoiler,  highlight the text and/or images that you want to hide. Then click on the "eye" icon on the toolbar. Looks like you have used the spoiler tags without problem. Just that the Moderator might have merged your posts instead. It's forbidden for members to post consecutively at the drama thread, it's ok if there're more members to post alternately but such a dilemma when a member had lots to share yet no one else posted before him or her. Too crammed a post is sometimes quite an eyesore. th_hypo.gif

soompi_spoiler.jpg

Spoiler

ì´ë¯¸ì§ì¤ì

Eugene says P for Photos ~

• Like 5

Translation & highlight by #MrSunshine  ☀️ @teameushin

[TRANS]
Q: The most beautiful scene from #MrSunshine 

Kim Taeri: "..The first meeting with Eugene. where people didn't give attention to others, but Eugene and Aeshin were the ones staring at each other. It's the moment when only the two of them who recognized each other."

DqG9Dq2WkAARwQ_.jpg

DqG9EyjWoAAQ_KS.jpg

DqG9FoaWwAEWDbF.jpg

Spoiler

• Like 4

October 23, 2018

Q and A: Catching up with the stars of 'Mr. Sunshine'
Rappler talks to Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri about playing the star-crossed lovers on the show

Source: Rappler.com

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS. The two star as the enigmatic leads of the Korean drama. Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS. The two star as the enigmatic leads of the Korean drama. Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix 

MANILA, Philippines – If you're late to (or still not onboard) the Korean drama wave, we can't really blame you. With over decades of titles to choose from, it's hard to even think about where to start.

Mr. Sunshine, from the makers of the hit Descendants of the Sun, might be a good place to start. It just concluded its run and all episodes are available for streaming on demand over at Netflix.

In a nutshell, Mr. Sunshine is a treat for those who enjoy a mix of history and drama. But it's not just about that. Set in the 19th century or the Joseon dynasty in Korea, the show primarily tells the story of Eugene Choi, a Joseon-born man who finds himself in the United States only to later return as a US marine officer.

He then finds himself falling for the daughter of an aristocrat, all while learning of plans to colonize his native land. If that's not enough reason to get you hooked, we can assure you that the acting is top-notch.

The writing is also just as tight while being adaptable – Soompi reports that the details of a certain character were tweaked following backlash from viewers.

Rappler caught up with the stars of Mr. Sunshine who play star-crossed lovers in the hit television series.

Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix

Lee Byung-hun (plays Eugene Choi)

What motivated or inspired you to be part of Mr. Sunshine?

I didn't see any reason not to work with Lee Eung-bok and Kim Eun-sook. I'd been always open to doing dramas, and as soon as I read the script, I made up my mind to take on the project. I found the story very captivating and well-written, and I felt that Eugene Choi was very intriguing.

How did you prepare for the characters you played – they all have interesting back stories and are all intertwined.

Most of the time, I have to play a character in a situation that I've never experienced myself, so I try my best to immerse myself in the character and focus on his situation when reading the script. My acting is the result of constant practice and hard work.

Eugene is an interesting character. He's both familiar with and a stranger to Joseon. How did you approach portraying someone as complicated as him?

Eugene Choi has a literally complex background. And because his background consists of rare circumstances, it's difficult to fully understand his emotions. So as I mentioned earlier, I try to put myself in the character's situation and stay focused on the character's situation to feel his emotions. Essentially, the approach doesn't change just because the character is more complex. The key is to try your best to understand the character you play.

Compared to other dramas, do you think there's more pressure when dramas are historical? In what way?

It's not just historical dramas that place a lot of pressure on an actor, but every genre does. Any genre of TV show can influence the audience, so I try to stay very conscious of that. But of course, the audience feel slightly different emotions when they watch historical dramas as opposed to modern ones, so I do feel the weight of pressure a little more. I believe that it's also important for a historical drama not to distort historical facts that its story is based on.

Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix

Kim Tae-ri (plays Go Ae-shin)

What motivated or inspired you to be part of Mr. Sunshine?

I had a meeting with the writer and the director without knowing anything about the show. I saw how confident and passionate they were about this show, and that's why I decided to take on the project.

How did you prepare for the characters you played – they all have interesting back stories and are all intertwined.

I studied the historical context first and then thought a lot about Ae-shin's relationship with other characters around her. I tried to get a glimpse of her personality in her dialogues with her teacher, nanny, and butler. And afterwards, I tried to understand new situations from Ae-shin's point of view.

Go Ae-shin, in many ways, is the show's spark. How did you prepare to play a noble who always breaks convention?

At first, I wasn't sure to what extent I could push the unconventional personality of Ae-shin. But I found my answer in the various forms of relationships that Ae-shin has with people around her. When Ae-shin is with her nanny, Ham-ahn, who is a mother figure to Ae-shin, she is very different from the version of herself when she walks around the streets of Seoul covered up in a cloak.

Likewise, Ae-shin is different when she's around Eugene, who is a stranger but intriguing, and when she meets Hui-seong, who comes to visit her after 10 years of absence. So I tried to portray different extents to which Ae-shin lets her guard down depending on who she's around. I think that helped build a much more interesting character.

Do you do your own action sequences and stunts? How was the experience?

I tried my best to cover as many scenes as possible myself. I checked with experts about safety issues before we started shooting action scenes. Even then, once I started shooting, I would get quite eager to do a better job. I was tumbling around, hitting into everything and ending up with a lot of bruises. But when the scene comes out great, I feel so rewarded. I had to balance myself between my eagerness to do a better job and my safety.

Compared to other dramas, do you think there's more pressure when dramas are historical? In what ways?

There are certain sentiments that are almost ingrained in you as a citizen of a country. Historical drama can be a bit sensitive in that sense. Ae-shin has multiple layers to herself – her patriotism towards her country, her determination to protect her family, and her feelings for her lover. It occurred to me that if one single aspect is emphasized too much, that could distort the character as a whole. Anything is possible for a human being, in theory, but Ae-shin is a character in a drama for [a large audience to see]. It was challenging to play Ae-shin because how a character is perceived by the viewers is also important.

– Rappler.com

• Like 6

Hi Sunshiners!!

So excited to see this new CF of Eugene Choi and Kim Hee Sung in modern times!! They both look GREAT!!! :w00t: :wub:

Thanks to IG user yohan_taeri for sharing the clip. :)

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

After the H&H cool parody, it's Room 303 & Room 304's turn to be TV CF stars! th_celebrate008.gifAwesome clip of dashing men in sharp-dressing suits! :lol: MR.SUNSHINE is indeed shining bright! 

Here's the YT version kaoani_whiteball_01.gif
Published on October 24, 2018 by Millie's Library

MR.SUNSHINE ardent IG fan sadgasna sharing the ordered goodies she/he received from artist-fan Ruro :blush:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rubie said:

After the H&H cool parody, it's Room 303 & Room 304's turn to be TV CF stars! th_celebrate008.gifAwesome clip of dashing men in sharp-dressing suits! :lol: MR.SUNSHINE is indeed shining bright! 

Here's the YT version kaoani_whiteball_01.gif
Published on October 24, 2018 by Millie's Library

This is so cool and am glad that Mr. Sunshine continues to shine through CFs!! th_celebrate008.gif(Borrowing your emoji, @rubie :D) Hope to see more CF collaborations from the other cast members (especially Ba Deung Jjo, Ae Shin, Hina, and many more). The H&H parody is indeed adorable!! :wub:

I'm also really impressed with the fan arts and animations. So cute!!

Credit as shown on IG.

Very impressive Gu Dong Mae figurine along with miniature detailed items that was gifted to YYS!! :oThanks to soothing.yoo for combining the pictures from bluewashing and repost.

• Like 5

@SeReNiTy The ardent Korean fans are really awesome indeed! Here's one of Eugene, too. The actors are so lucky! :lol:

They presented EC with his cake replica on the last day of the drama screening last month. :blush:

• Like 6

@rubie Yes, the actors are so lucky to have such loving and dedicated fans!! :wub:  All the gifts are so nicely crafted, and some are just too cute to be eaten!! :lol: 

BTS of Byun Yo Han/Kim Hee Sung B)

Credit to his IG

BTS clips provided by his agency Saram Entertainment:lol:

More clips under the spoiler tag :)

Spoiler

• Like 6