[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

On 10/29/2018 at 9:43 PM, rubie said:

@SeReNiTy LOL .. right smack in the middle.. :lol: that is so true.. thanks for pointing it out. I think it's just perfect that the front row sits so that we can also see everyone at the back. It shows that sitting down can be so cool, indeed. Makes me stop to ponder that there was no photo of Eugene and Kyle along with GwanSoo & Domi. :mellow: What a pity, huh.. they could have taken one before Kyle was transferred to Tokyo and EC supposedly return to America. Like Hina.. who had a group photo with her Glory Hotel staff, perhaps there was no one to take the photo (for EC & Kyle).. Hina's group had HeeSung with the camera gifted by Eugene much later.

@rubie It is indeed sad that there weren't photo opportunities with Kyle, Gwan Soo, DoMi and others, since they are just as dear to Eugene. There were more than enough soldiers at the American legation to help them take pictures, but I guess that wasn't Writer-nim's focus. :( Also, it did puzzle me that there was not a single scene with all 5 leads together. :huh: I wonder if there will be such scenes in the director's cut.

I guess this BTS of all 5 leads for the Netflix poster shoot is one of the best we can get. :heart:

Credits to kim_giwoong

Drawing of YYS/Goo Dong Mae...very impressive!

Credits to jinju_smileart

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SeReNiTy said:

@rubie It is indeed sad that there weren't photo opportunities with Kyle, Gwan Soo, DoMi and others, since they are just as dear to Eugene. There were more than enough soldiers at the American legation to help them take pictures, but I guess that wasn't Writer-nim's focus. :( Also, it did puzzle me that there was not a single scene with all 5 leads together. :huh: I wonder if there will be such scenes in the director's cut.

I guess this BTS of all 5 leads for the Netflix poster shoot is one of the best we can get. :heart:

Hmm.. it's probably awkward for Eugene to be in the same scene together with AeShin and HeeSung especially after the engagement was off. But yeah.. it's always EC & AS or just the boy or just the girls. The Netflix promo photo.. sigh.. if only they showed the photo-taking in the drama, lets say.. just before Eugene return to America (although he actually went to Japan with AeShin). Despite the gloomy situation, everyone was still looking good and relatively happy.

Too many "potentially +ve" scenes were released for promo purposes that obviously made us sway and forget that it was actually doomed right from the beginning. th_sigh.gif

November 1, 2018

Joynews24 Survey: 2018 Best Drama of The Year

Anyway, another great highlight by Chungmuro Crumb from the Joynews24 survey.

Following list of Joy News 24 survey "2018 Best Drama of the Year" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. Mr Sunshine : 50
2. 100 Days My Husband & Misty : 24
3. My Ahjussi : 17
4. Live : 13
5. Why Secretary Kim & Son The  Guest : 12
6. Life & PrettyNoonaWhobuysmefood : 8
7. Beauty Inside : 7
8. Mother, Where Stars Land & Life On Mars : 4

"...From the strong characters who lived in that era, fantastic chemistry of the actors, the solid narration and acting, "Mr. Sunshine" was completed as another best life time drama. The highest audience rating was 18.1%."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two OSTs from Mr Sunshine are nominated for Best OST at this year's MAMA Awards!

Am so happy that Hwang Chi Yeul is nominated as "Best Male Artist" at the same awards in a category filled with great artists, especially Park Hyo Shin :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On October 31, Lee Byung Hun took a flight to LA. Upon arrival, he posted a photo on his IG and as the caption, wrote another quote from MR.SUNSHINE "10 hours for one and a half hand span" mrs.jpgObviously, Eugene Choi is still going through a withdrawal from the drama.

Spoiler

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

• Like 4

:lol: Imagine all 5 of them got together.. if this happened and the scene was included in the drama.. Ae Shin would be flaming with jealousy and Hee Sung would be burning with envy.. while Hi Na would watch everyone gleefully.. :P

Fan Art by peanut

MR.SUNSHINE Photo-essay, photos from Emi

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I'll be posting some interview articles from our supporting actors/actresses. I don't think we have main 5 actors/actresses interview yet.. so.. when it happens, i'll post them up here too. Again, all mistakes and typos, and uncertain word choices are all mine.

To start with, this is for the actor Choi Jin-ho who did the role of minister for foreign affair ).

From article http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201809131630524110,

‘Mr. Sunshine’ Choi Jin-ho “Lee Byung-hun, Song Yoon-ah, Yeo Jin-goo are actors/actresses that amazed me with their actings”
[Newsen. Article by Kim Ye-eun/Photography by Lee Jae-ha]

He debuted in the drama ‘Splendid Holiday’, acting for more than 20 years. Working as supporting actors in various projects, with a lot of actors/actresses, Choi Jin-ho turned his thumbs up to Yeo Jin-Goo, Song Yoon-Ah and Lee Byung-Hun.'

He was an excellent villain in tvN weekend drama ‘Mr Sunshine’ coveting over main lead Eugene Choi’s mom. He was the reason that made Eugene Choi’s early life hell, and the one who got the worst payback from Eugene who came back to Joseon as American solider. Even though his character exited the show with death, his presence was quite intense.

201809131630524110_1.jpg

201809131630524110_2.jpg

Due to situation of his character, he acted long time with Lee Byung-hun who did the role of Eugene Choi. They also worked together in the movie ‘I saw the devil’. Newsen met him on Sept 13th, Choi Jin-ho mentioned the scene where Eugene Choi threatened Lee Sehoon with the sword, “About the sword scene, there are some who act with their emotion but only by themselves, but with Lee Byung hun I felt that I was being cared. There was a feeling of going up together. It is a great experience when you can feel the synergy and chemistry”

Lee Byung-Hun is one of the three actors/actresses that amazed him during his acting career. The other 2 are Yeo Jin-goo who did SBS drama ‘Daebak’ together, and Song Yoon-ah who did KBS 2TV drama ‘Assembly’.

He explained, ‘Actor Yeo Jin-goo acted really stable considering his age. I thought about my youth and whether I did that well. Song Yoon-ah is a top actress. Acting together, we as actors know. Feeling the chemistry that my feelings were delivered and then given back. Song Yoon-ah is one of those than can give feelings back well.”

He continued talk about ‘Mr Sunshine’. They worked for long time for ‘Mr Sunshine’ that the atmosphere in the site was nice. Choi Jinho explained the reason to Lee Eungbok’s style, who is the director of the drama. ‘Dir. Lee Eungbok doesn’t pressure the site. “And also, “Maybe it’s the trait of current shooting site. We’re suffering together anyways, so want to comfort each other.”

Was there any episode from the shooting site? In the drama Eugene Choi got his revenge on Lee Sehoon after knowing that he coveted his mother that led to death of his parents. He jumped over the sedan chair of Lee Sehoon with his horse. Lee Sehoon tumbled from his chair and fell to the muddy ground. About this scene he said “We dug up to make a small puddle but it was too dirty. I didn’t need to put my face, but I thought to make the scene more humiliating I should put my face in the puddle. Only thing is that after the scene I had to see eye doctor 4 times.”

tvN ‘Mr Sunshine’ will air on Sat/Sun 9 PM every week.

Newsen Kim Yeeun kimm@/LeeJae rush@

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

MR.SUNSHINE get-together ~

Photos: stellachoiminji

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

If you followed Eugene's footsteps through Mr. Sunshine column, now it's time to follow Ae-sin!
From Seoul all the way down to Gyeongsangnam-do, the film locations are all over Korea!
Who else enjoyed Mr. Sunshine drama?!
For more info https://goo.gl/B78k51

• Like 6

Just found this belated article..

15133525.jpg

October 15, 2018

[FICTION VS. HISTORY] The fact and fiction in ‘Mr. Sunshine’ : Historical sweep is captured but some anachronisms and motivations irk viewers

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

15133553.jpg

Below are scenes from the blockbuster period drama “Mr. Sunshine,” which is set in Korea in the late 1800s and early 1900s before the Japanese occupation..[SCREEN CAPTURE, TVN]

On both the silver screen and television, the historical drama has never gone out of style. Fans of period dramas, both here and abroad, like to be transported to a different time and learn about the high dramas that swept up - or were put in motion by - our ancestors. Some like to see continuity with the past. Others like to see progress. Foreign Korea-philes may believe they can get a crash course in Korean history from such films. But all historical dramas create characters, add love stories, and conflate or invent events to make sure viewers don’t lose interest. Through “Fiction vs History,” the Korea JoongAng Daily attempts to distinguish fiction from fact in popular period dramas and films for clarification and to dispel any misunderstandings.

In 1875, on the second day after Ko Ae-shin’s birth in Japan, a plot by Korea’s Righteous Army to assassinate the pro-Japanese collaborator Lee Wan-ik fails. Ko’s parents, who were involved in the plot, are killed by Lee. Swaddled in a blanket, baby Ko is sent back to Joseon by her parents’ comrades to her grandfather, who was once King Gojong’s teacher. Ko grows up as a noble lady, but with the patriotic genes of her parents; she trains to become a sniper and eventually becomes a member of the Righteous Army, an irregular guerrilla army that was formed to fight the Japanese. 

15133614.jpg

From top: Beginning in the fifth episode, the producers tell viewers that they are watching a “fiction based on historical events”; Eugene Choi, played by veteran actor Lee Byung-hun; pro-Japan collaborator Lee Wan-ik, played by Kim Eui-seong.[SCREEN CAPTURE, TVN]

In the autumn of 1875, not long after Ko’s return to Korea, the Battle of Ganghwa takes place. It was an example of the gunboat diplomacy used by Japan to enter the Korean peninsula. 

Ko, played by Kim Tae-ri, is a fictional character created by the celebrated writer Kim Eun-sook to help tell this story in “Mr. Sunshine,” which recently wrapped up its 24 episodes with high ratings both on local television and on Netflix. Since this is historical fiction, some of the characters and stories are made up, and some are based on historical fact.

Distinguishing fiction from fact would not be that difficult for Koreans, who have been educated in the history. It’s not as easy for outsiders. 

In the drama, Ko’s parents - members of Korea’s Righteous Army - went to Japan before the outbreak of the Battle of Ganghwa to promote the anti-Japanese movement in Japan. But in fact, Japan’s pillage of Joseon began after the Battle of Ganghwa, stimulating the uprising of such patriotic groups as the Righteous Army in Korea. Experts say systematic action by the Righteous Army started after Japan’s assassination of the Empress Myeongseong, in what is known as the Eulmi Incident in 1895. Moreover, during the time that Ko’s parents were in Japan in the drama, it would have been difficult even for tradesmen, let alone common people like Ko’s parents, to go to Japan; exchanges between the two countries had been cut off. 

Such advancing of the timeline may have helped the producers dramatize the story. But historians argue that it seems like an unnecessary historical tweak that weakens its credibility. 

The drama, which is set in Korea in the late 1800s and early 1900s before the Japanese occupation, is a wartime love story between a Korean-born U.S. Marine named Eugene Choi, played by Lee Byung-hun and Ko. 

Male character Koo Dong-mae, played by Yoo Yeon-seok, was initially described as a low-class butcher boy from Korea who grows up to be a member of the notorious Gen’yosha of Japan, an influential ultranationalist group. He returns to his motherland Joseon by becoming the leader of the group’s branch, the Black Dragon Society in Hanseong, which was the capital city of Joseon. It is a historical fact that Gen’yosha is suspected of launching a task force team in Korea for a future invasion and was involved in the assassination of Empress Myeongseong. 

However, the fact that Koo directed brutalities against Korea angered many Korean viewers. In the drama, he is portrayed as a poor Korean boy who was abandoned by his own country and had no choice but to feel the thirst for revenge. 

“It seems like the drama is saying that there was a reason why the Black Dragon Society was so merciless against Koreans,” wrote one netizen on broadcaster tvN’s website. 

Some people even took the issue to the Blue House, submitting a petition on July 16, arguing that such historical distortion should be regulated. They claimed that the drama is being aired on Netflix, raising the risk that foreigners may misunderstand the history of Korea and the Japanese invasion. In response, the drama’s production team issued an apology stating that they had no intention to “romanticize the pro-Japanese stance,” and that the team had decided to modify the entire character in later episodes. From Episode 5, the Black Dragon Society was given a fictional name and a notification was shown at the start of each episode that said, “This is a work of fiction based on historical events.” 

15133631.jpg

Left: The photograph of the Righteous Army taken in 1907 by journalist Frederick McKenzie. Right: The scene as reenacted in the television drama. [KOREA’S FIGHT FOR FREEDOM, SCREEN CAPTURE]

The drama did end on Sept. 30, however, by shedding light on the real Right-eous Army of Korea. A scene was based on a black and white photograph of the Righteous Army, many nameless people who fought for the country, taken in 1907 by Frederick McKenzie, a writer and war journalist who worked for the London Daily Mail. The photograph is familiar to most Koreans because it is in history textbooks. The episode also stayed true to history, using quotes from McKenzie’s interviews such as, “We know that all of us are bound to die if we continue this fight. But we’d absolutely hate to live as Japanese slaves. We’d much rather die as free men.” Eugene Choi brings the foreign journalist to the Righteous Army, which agrees to the interview and to being photographed in the belief that the world should learn about its righteous struggle. That photograph is, in fact, the only existing photograph of Korea’s freedom fighters.

BY YIM SEUNG-HYE [sharon@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 5

Interview article with Kim Byung-Cheol who did the character IlSik of haedrio brothers, from Korea Economic Newspaper(https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=015&aid=0004019684)

'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Byung-Cheol "Lee Byung-Hun eyes are great melo story teller... Such a magnificent actor" (Interview)

0004019684_001_20181002152528721.jpg?typ

Actor Kim Byung-Cheol revealed "I want to do a project where I can articulate thru my eyes just like Lee Byung-Hun sunbae".

When we met Kim Byung-Cheol in a cafe in Sungdonggu, Seoul on Oct 2nd, he was talking fascinating stories about Lee Byung-Hun's eyes. 

Since his debut in the 2003 movie 'Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield', Kim Byung-Cheol has been showing memorable performances in various movies, 'R-Point', 'Hwang Ji-Yi', 'GP506', 'Primvate Eye', 'Miss Wife', 'Musudan', 'The Discloser' and dramas like 'Descendants of the Sun', 'Shopping King Louie', 'Goblin', 'Tunnel', 'The Emperor: Owner of the Mask' .

In the recently ended drama 'Mr Sunshine', he performed a character of IlSik, who was the best slave tracker but lost his job suddenly due to abolition of slaves, turned to open pawn shop 'Haedrio' to become the most handy person in Hanseong.

Kim Byung-Cheol said "Eugene Choi(Lee Byung-Hun) didn't look at IlSik like he looked at Aeshin(Kim Tae-Ri) but because we acted along side, I watched his acting closely. There is Lee Byung-Hun sunbae's special style of feelings".

He praised Lee Byung-Hun's acting saying 'In drama, Eugene originally knew IlSik as only slave tracker, but later realized that IlSik saved him and that's important experience for Eugene. When I watched the edit, I was able to read character(Eugene)'s emotional changes from Lee Byung-Hun's eyes. He is a really great actor."

He also added "I too want to do melo-drama that I can use such eye expression".

Kim Byung-Cheol will return in the JTBC drama 'Skycastle' in coming November.

김예랑 한경닷컴 기자 yesrang@hankyung.com
기사제보 및 보도자료 newsinfo@hankyung.com

From Lee Jung-Eun(Haman daek) interview from StarNews(https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&aid=0002733005)

'Mr Sunshine' Lee Jung-Eun "Lee Byung-Hun, he's even better actor on site" (Interview)

0002733005_001_20181008164524269.jpg?typ

Actress Lee Jung-Eun(49) revealed her thoughts on her co-actors Lee Byung-Hun and Ji Sung in different dramas.

During the interview with Lee Jung-Eun in cafe in Gangnam Gu Seoul on 8th, she left lovely comments about Lee Byung-Hun from tvn Sat/Sun drama 'Mr Sunshine' and Ji Sung from Wed/Thur drama 'Familiar Wife'.

Lee Jung-Eun made us laugh when we talked about Lee Byung-Hun who is about same age with LJE, saying that "Actually, I'm 1 year older than him". She also said "Byung-hun ssi actually has soft baby facial hair. I said "Your mom bore a great son." When I told him "You're just so handsome" he just gave a laugh."

0002733005_002_20181008164524323.jpg?typ

Working on Mr. sunshine she said she got a lot of calls from her friends asking for her impression of working with Lee Byung-Hun. “As an actor working together he is even better in site than watching on screen. He really prepared well before the shooting”

Lee Jung-Eun also talked about Ji-Sung who she acted together in 'Familiar wife'. "Ji Sung ssi is great too. I had a fondness for him as an mother-in-law. Maybe due to long experience in working in the field, they both are very kind people. I guess the "All-In" teams are all doing well."

Lee Jung-Eun acted as a nanny/guardian of lady Go Aeshin(Kim Tae-Ri) . Also, in recently ended drama 'Familiar wife', she was the mother of female lead Seo WooJin(Han JiMin), loved by viewers.

한해선 기자 hhs422@mtstarnews.com

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

November 5, 2018

Source: Chungmuro Crumb

Following list of Joy News 24 survey "2018 Best Drama Couple of the Year" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1 #SonYeJin & #JungHaeIn #PrettyNoonaWhobuysmefood 82 
2 #ParkMinYoung & #ParkSeoJoon #WhySecretaryKim 50
3 #KimTaeRi & #LeeByunghun #MrSunshine 17
4 #SeoHyunjin & #LeeMinKi #Beauty Inside 12
5 #NamJiHyun & #DoKyungsoo #100DaysMyHusband 9
"...If the previous works by Kim Eun Sook put heavy romances of the main male and female characters on the front page, "Mr. Sunshine" put weight on characters living in the end of Joseon age. Nevertheless, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri's 'Lobeu' were heartbreaking enough and delivered their feelings to viewers. Although there was no single kiss scene, Lee Byung Hun's desperate confession, and Kim Tae Ri's eyes were more lively."

• Like 4

Kinda funny to see this and feel nostalgia. I like this black horse Eugene rode to Go family house to rescue Aeshin. Look at white spot on his leg. 

From actor Lee SiKang's instagram.

So he had a horse-riding class and rode a horse named Yujini(from Choi Yu-Jin I'm sure) that was in Mr Sunshine as Eugene Choi's horse. Actor Lee is saying that the horse was mild tempered and pretty horse. 

Yeah.. anything from Mr Sunshine to cheer me up, I know... but I do like this horse and glad to see him/her doing so well!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, mistymorning said:

Kinda funny to see this and feel nostalgia. I like this black horse Eugene rode to Go family house to rescue Aeshin. Look at white spot on his leg. 

From actor Lee SiKang's instagram.

So he had a horse-riding class and rode a horse named Yujini(from Choi Yu-Jin I'm sure) that was in Mr Sunshine as Eugene Choi's horse. Actor Lee is saying that the horse was mild tempered and pretty horse. 

Yeah.. anything from Mr Sunshine to cheer me up, I know... but I do like this horse and glad to see him/her doing so well!

Thank you so much for the highlight, we sure need treats like this! Glad to see that Yujini is doing well.. seems like he/she is EC's junior comrade and very professional. :lol: LBH's Eugene sure spent a lot of time with this beautiful horse and they acted out such intense scenes together throughout MR.SUNSHINE.

It's usually in the 2-hr movies we'd see (some of) the horses/bigger animals but in this 24-episode drama, it's definitely one of the excellent cast playing an important role.. particularly in the confrontation scene between EC and LSH. Well done Eugene & Yujinie! 912.gif

Favorite GIFS feat. Yujini..  can't miss the white spot on the leg, making an entrance.. walking in so gracefully :)

mrsun17_05.gif

Those legs.. the intro scene of Eugene vs Lee Se Hoon

mrsun06_8.gif

Riding into the sunset 

mrsun12_09.gif

• Like 5

LOL @kansas424 good to see you here! :lol: It's still the year of MR.SUNSHINE.. can we ever move on? :P Thank you for posting, it means a lot.

A lot of the IG tags showing visitors to the Sunshine Studios wearing #EuShin costumes to take memorable photos at the filming sets. We can't go there but we can help keep this thread moving with the fan-sharing. 

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

The photo collection of MR.SUNSHINE (at the studio, presumably). The added background music from Eugene's music box is bringing back those bittersweet memories..

Clip: mr_candlelight

November 6, 2018

Mr. Sunshine (tvN 2018)

mr-sunshine.png

Just when you thought Kim Eun Sook was running out of ideas, she brought out the big guns. This epic block-buster of a series stars Lee Byung Hun as Eugene Choi and Kim Tae Ri as Go Ae Shin in a historical piece that is set in the early 1900s. The story involves Eugene falling in love Ae Shin despite their starkly different backgrounds. Eugene was born as a slave, but runs away to America where he becomes a Captain of the Marine Corps while Ae Shin is a Joseon noblewoman.

The series was well-received for its killer cast, which also included Yoo Yeon Seok, Kim Min Jung, and Byun Yo Han, and it was also received well for the cinematography.

Kim Eun Sook has yet again succeeded in bringing viewers a series that is so perfectly written that it’s almost incomparable to other K-dramas. She’s a one-of-a-kind writer and we can expect far more hits in the future!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hope these doesn't get merged..

Art by sora to umi @soratoumi18

November 9, 2018

Yoo Yeon Seok Talks About Auditioning Over 100 Times + Transformation Process For “Mr. Sunshine” Character

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Yoo Yeon Seok Talks About Auditioning Over 100 Times + Transformation Process For âMr. Sunshineâ Character

Yoo Yeon Seok shared stories from his auditions and experience filming tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine.”

On November 8, the actor appeared as a guest on tvN’s “Life Bar.”

He began, “I went to a lot of auditions. I think I went to over 100 auditions. Before ‘Reply 1994,’ I had been working for about 10 years and went to so many auditions during that time.”

When asked if he auditioned for his role on tvN’s “Reply 1994,” Yoo Yeon Seok answered, “I went to audition and didn’t really know any specific details about my character. I auditioned and passed in that kind of situation. For ‘Mr. Sunshine,’ I also didn’t really know any specific details about my character. I only knew that he was a character who was born as the son of a butcher, went to Japan, then returned to Korea because of a woman he loved.”

Shinhwa’s Kim Dong Wan and MC Shin Dong Yup brought up the scene where Yoo Yeon Seok walked on the beach with Kim Min Jung on his back.

When the MC asked if it was difficult, Yoo Yeon Seok replied, “Sand is difficult to walk on just by yourself, but on top of that, it was an emotional scene and a scene where Kim Min Jung was dying. So, I think it was a difficult scene for many reasons. It was more difficult emotionally than physically.”

Yoo-Yeon-Seok1.jpg

About his hair makeup for “Mr. Sunshine,” Yoo Yeon Seok explained, “At first, I put on [a beard] that was customized for my face. But I had so many close-up shots, that we ended up gluing on each piece of hair.”

When Super Junior’s Kim Heechul asked if the makeup process was easier if he grew out some of his own beard, the actor replied, “But if you grow out too much, then the glue won’t stick. I just had to grow a little bit of hair. We filmed for about 10 months.”

He continued, “From [the mustache and beard] to hair and putting on the outfits, it took about two hours every day. My past project was ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ so my skin was pale. While I was doing ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch,’ I was fitted for costumes and underwent makeup tests [for ‘Mr. Sunshine’]. But instead of a samurai, I looked a little bit like a geisha.”

After making everyone laugh, he added, “So the director and writer suggested that I tan a little and that we put on some darker makeup and a beard. I thought that it would be hard to wear a beard for 10 months, so I tried to think of other ways to express [my character]. But in the end, I looked more masculine after I put it on.”

“Mr. Sunshine” aired its final episode on September 29.

Source (1)

Photos: Tina Hsu

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After 4 days, hopefully these doesn't get merged.. 

mrs.jpg  EuShin and MaeHwa Appreciation tweets compilation by ePhoenix.13 @BillyRocks_13

Eugene's been posting quotes from MR.SUNSHINE as captions on his IG posts..

A MR.SUNSHINE quote by byunghun0712 on his IG post on 11/11, photos of the Hudson River. 

LBH's caption: Hudson River is not slippery when frozen 

20181111ec.jpg

11/14 Lee Byung Hun posted two photos with another quote from MR.SUNSHINE, obviously. 

Caption: The food that puts ground meat in the bread.

Spoiler

20181114ec.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

November 20, 2018

Pre-Order for Mr. Sunshine Premium version now opened!

Source: MrSunshineBD @MrSunshineBD mrs.jpg

Pre-Order for Mr. Sunshine Premium version will be open from Nov. 20th 2 PM to Dec. 19th (Local Korean time GMT+9).
Don’t forget to apply $11 coupon, you can download coupon by clicking on red coupon button.
Please support and promote premium version of Mr. Sunshine Blu-ray.

For more details, please check the official café notice page. 

http://cafe.daum.net/MrSunshineBD

November 16, 2018

Yoo Yeon Seok Shares Casting Story From “Mr. Sunshine” + Why He Became An Actor

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

Yoo Yeon Seok Shares Casting Story From âMr. Sunshineâ + Why He Became An Actor

On the November 15 episode of tvN’s “NEW Life Bar,” Oh Man Suk, Lee Kyu Hyung, Kim Dong Wan, and Yoo Yeon Seok continued their appearance as guests.

During the show, Yoo Yeon Seok shared the story of how he was cast as Goo Dong Mae in tvN hit “Mr. Sunshine.” He said, “I was on my way back from a scheduled event in Japan when I happened to meet the director and writer at the baggage claim. Afterwards, I met with the director for drinks on a rainy day. I was staring out the window, listening to the music that was playing in the background, when the director told me, ‘I like the look in your eyes.’ I got the offer for Goo Dong Mae after that.”

Spoiler

yoo-yeon-seok2.jpg

Yoo Yeon Seok made a strong impression playing the younger version of Yoo Ji Tae’s character in the movie “Oldboy.” About why he chose acting as a career, he said, “I was in elementary school when I was cast in a play for the school arts festival. I was originally playing a supporting role as the butterfly, but the lead actor couldn’t memorize his lines. The teacher noticed me mumbling along and I was given the lead role instead.”

He continued, “When I stood onstage and heard the applause, it was an electrifying experience. I had worked hard on something, showed it to everyone, and they enjoyed it. I thought, ‘This is what I want to do.’ I loved everything about performing and started dreaming of becoming an actor. In particular, I liked the thrill of the stage.”

yoo-yeon-seok-life-bar.jpg

Source (1) (2) (3)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Direct link to premium version order page is here

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/66986691

Nice article for Mr Sunshine Success.

Studio Dragon reported record high sales/profit of 123.7 Billion Won for 3rd quarter of 2018 thanks to Mr. Sunshine.

(https://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=103&oid=008&aid=0004129410)

This year's 3rd quarter sales of 123.7Billion Won, 59.7% ↑, operating profit 21.5Billion Won 223% ↑ ... Domestic/international sales UP thanks to Mr. Sunshine effect.

0004129410_001_20181107172302196.jpg?typ

Studio Dragon reported record high quarter sales in this year's 3rd Quarter. This is also the first time for Studio Dragon to go over 100 Billion Won for the quarter. This owes to success of the drama Mr. Sunshine.

Studio Dragon reported the this year's 3rd quarter sales is 123.7 billion won increased by 59.7% compared to 3rd quarter last year. For the same quarter, operation profit is 21.5 billion won, increased 223%. Profit is 17.3 billion won, 206.3% increase.

Sales can be categorized into 3 parts: selling televising rights to broadcasting companies,  distributing global OTT and VOD to domestic/internal market, and others. This quarter, 2nd part increased by large margin, 63.4 billion won, thanks to Mr Sunshine(172% increase). Televising rights also showed stable increase of 17.1%(48.9 billion won) compared to last quarter.

(skipping rest of articles, including mention of 4th quarter drama 100 Days My Prince and Player. Article also talks about selling Memories of Alhambra to China for future profit )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the updates, that is a very nice article indeed. One that every MR.SUNSHINE fan would be happy to know about. Too bad the drama isn't highlighted as much after it ended but it's definitely one series that did very well -- production, performance and profit-wise. Contrary to what some people were saying..

Anyway, Chungmuro Crumb posted a lot of wonderful photos (in a 9 series of IG posts) of the MR.SUNSHINE filming site. Please check them out ~

Part 1, Hotel Glory
FINALLY I AM HERE.... Welcome to Korean Empire...Welcome to the glorious Hotel Glory...
Sunshine Land, Mr Sunshine filming location is located at Nonsan. It can reach via KTX Seoul (Yongsan Station) to Nonsan about 2 hours +1 hours bus from Nonsan Station to Nonsan Sunshine Land.
It's so beautiful, detail and will make you never move on from this series (at least in my case)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I am a theaterologist. In the profession for 30 years  So I have some idea about the art of scriptwriting.

Let me introduce you to my analysis of the "Mr. Sunshine" scenario, which I made after a few weeks from the painful watching of the last episodes.

The more I think about it, the more clearly I see that it has been badly broken. It was beautiful to a certain point, but then beauty was cruelly killed.

Viewers in many forums complain that they can not get back into balance after watching the drama until the end that they are sad and devastated. It's probably not good? Do not you think?

A distanced analysis of the scenario the „Mr. Sunshine” drama allows you to see a lot of illogicality and the lack of consistency of certain threads and characters. However, it discovers the most unnecessary cruelty with which she treated the 16 most important heroes.

1. Eugene's father912000301880430592

2. Eugene's mother.912000431556186112

Spoiler

3. Ae-sin's mother.912000582055743488

4. Ae-sin's father.

The death of these above is still understandable for the plot. But the remaining ones could have been less.

In my opinion the goal was intentional: first the viewer is to be delighted and to love the main characters and those from the second plan, and then the screenwriter sequentially kills them and often in a very bloody way.

5. Joseph.912001044778795008

6. Lord Go.912001204292370432

7. Jumo.

8. Belowed Hina Kudo.

912001481875603456 9. Jang shooter912001666932490240

10. Belowed madam Haman

11. Belowed  Haengrang

12. Yuzo.

13. Potter Eun San

14. Belowed  Kim Hui-seong

15. Belowed Gu Dong-mae

16. Finally wonderful Eugene Choi!

I wondered about the alleged patriotic intention of this cruelty. Maybe she wanted to show how many beloved people sacred life for the Homeland. Hmmm ... Why are there grotesque words on the tomb of Eugen that he remained in Joseon for a picnic? Or sacrifice for others for the Homeland, or a picnic? Do not you think?

Picnic?!

I'm a Pole. Our nation has also gone through a lot: the loss of freedom for 123 years, two world wars, communism, Aushwitz and much more, and yet in our patriotic films there is no such accumulation of bloody crackdown on positive heroes. Yes, some people die for their Homeland, but there are always others who remain in balance, and the viewer gets a portion of hope and comfort, and does not leave mentally depressed and disgusted!

Death scene Eugene. Would it not be more logical and safer for him and others if he were covered by a Japanese aristocrat and remained in the carriage, where were his countrymen, and ordered the Japanese army to move to the next train car and then unhook him?

After all, just as KES did, even one Japanese from behind the back Eugene could kill completely exposed Ae-sin! After all, Eugene, whom we knew would not do it!

And the issue of the last transmission, the alleged message about hope for the Koreans, and so the youth trained in Manchuria by Ae-sin. What was her qualification? She was just a sniper. Eugene was a soldier and would be able to professionally train Korean partisans!

And the love theme of Eugene and Ae-sin - wonderful, but a little funny. It was unrealistic to drag their restraint so that they would not even kiss each other! They were married, but not entirely because they were not formally married. What is this! Why did she waste this way !? Such beautiful Love, so wonderfully played and so stupidly deformed!

I have more notices, but I do not want to bore you. It is a pity this beautiful story. It could be much better and full of hope, but it is beautiful, but it causes most sadness, depression and emotional disorder!

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2