[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

3 hours ago, 3po3 said:

Thank you @rubie  I'm not very good at English. Is my analysis understandable to you? 

Spoiler

I'm a Pole. Our nation has also gone through a lot: the loss of freedom for 123 years, two world wars, communism, Aushwitz and much more, and yet in our patriotic films there is no such accumulation of bloody crackdown on positive heroes. Yes, some people die for their Homeland, but there are always others who remain in balance, and the viewer gets a portion of hope and comfort, and does not leave mentally depressed and disgusted!

Death scene Eugene. Would it not be more logical and safer for him and others if he were covered by a Japanese aristocrat and remained in the carriage, where were his countrymen, and ordered the Japanese army to move to the next train car and then unhook him?

After all, just as KES did, even one Japanese from behind the back Eugene could kill completely exposed Ae-sin! After all, Eugene, whom we knew would not do it!

And the issue of the last transmission, the alleged message about hope for the Koreans, and so the youth trained in Manchuria by Ae-sin. What was her qualification? She was just a sniper. Eugene was a soldier and would be able to professionally train Korean partisans!

And the love theme of Eugene and Ae-sin - wonderful, but a little funny. It was unrealistic to drag their restraint so that they would not even kiss each other! They were married, but not entirely because they were not formally married. What is this! Why did she waste this way !? Such beautiful Love, so wonderfully played and so stupidly deformed!

I have more notices, but I do not want to bore you. It is a pity this beautiful story. It could be much better and full of hope, but it is beautiful, but it causes most sadness, depression and emotional disorder!I wondered about the alleged patriotic intention of this cruelty. Maybe she wanted to show how many beloved people sacred life for the Homeland. Hmmm ... Why are there grotesque words on the tomb of Eugene that he remained in Joseon for a picnic? Or sacrifice for others for the Homeland, or a picnic? Do not you think?

@3po3 No worries, you deliver and explained in English well, no problem in understanding it.

As  I wrote elsewhere.. I feel that the quote by Kyle on EC's tombstone.. was simply his way of not believing that Eugene died. But KES actually using it as the last words for him.. seems rather sadistic of her.

To me, the story ended at episode 21, in front of the US Legation in Japan. Even if we don't see any happy ending, at least they had a chance at that very moment (EC still serving jail time but with AS waiting for him in NY) and I would just leave it at that.

As revealed at the press conference before the airing.. KES took a break before writing the 2 final episodes. She's likely weighing various ideas on what would be the most "killer" ending for her drama, excuse the pun! :ph34r: Personally I don't believe she didn't even think about the obvious happy vs sad possibilities for the ending but she went with the most impact in the most unforgettable way ever.

Although it felt like a totally different story altogether (considering the background of the characters that we've learnt to know and appreciate), it's probably the ending that would resonate more with Koreans than anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another nice article for drama Mr. Sunshine.

Mr Sunshine is the most replayed online clip for weekend drama for the 2nd half of 2018, by the report from Smart Media Rep(SMR) company who does online distribution for KBS/MBC/SBS/tvN/JTBC and other broadcasting companies.

(from the article https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=001&aid=0010482795)

0010482795tableImage2.png?type=w540

From the top, the table here is for 2nd half Sat/Sun drama total number of replay.

1. tvN -  Mr Sunshine 165,979,226

2. JTBC - My id is Gangnam Beauty 50,864,543

3. JTC - The Third Charm 18,304,694

4. MBC - Hide and Seek 12,020,384

5. SBS - Let me introduce her 11,790,964

6. KBS - My Only One 11,001,783

7. tvN - Nine room 10,300,697

8. SBS - Ms. Ma, Nemesis 3,468,460

9. MBC - My love ChiYooGi 1,343,844

As you can see, Mr. Sunshine is indisputable top here. And SMR only provides contents for Korean site only(like navercast and kakao, tving ), so Netflix isn't included here. 

• Like 5

Thanks very much @mistymorning for another nice article on MR.SUNSHINE. Such a good and credible article indeed, one that we likely won't see highlighted by K-ent blogs etc. To date the drama isn't just about the fluffy stuff.. it doesn't even have any fluffy-ness at all, till the last airing but it's been recognized as one of the most-watched & well-loved Korean dramas and for very good reason, too.

Please keep on highlighting and sharing more nice articles on MR.SUNSHINE which we would love to read. As fans, we may have different thoughts about the ending particularly but the drama had definitely proved itself as a top-notch production with sterling performances by the cast which should not be overlooked.

A photo of Kyle Moore recently, thanks to Eda ~

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Another nice article for drama Mr. Sunshine.

Mr Sunshine is the most replayed online clip for weekend drama for the 2nd half of 2018, by the report from Smart Media Rep(SMR) company who does online distribution for KBS/MBC/SBS/tvN/JTBC and other broadcasting companies.

(from the article https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=001&aid=0010482795)

From the top, the table here is for 2nd half Sat/Sun drama total number of replay.

1. tvN -  Mr Sunshine 165,979,226

2. JTBC - My id is Gangnam Beauty 50,864,543

3. JTC - The Third Charm 18,304,694

4. MBC - Hide and Seek 12,020,384

5. SBS - Let me introduce her 11,790,964

6. KBS - My Only One 11,001,783

7. tvN - Nine room 10,300,697

8. SBS - Ms. Ma, Nemesis 3,468,460

9. MBC - My love ChiYooGi 1,343,844

As you can see, Mr. Sunshine is indisputable top here. And SMR only provides contents for Korean site only(like navercast and kakao, tving ), so Netflix isn't included here. 

Thanks Misty for wonderful translation!! 

Is it VOD? You pay subscription fee to watch the drama online?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Thanks Misty for wonderful translation!! 

Is it VOD? You pay subscription fee to watch the drama online?

Yes, SMR gets contents from Korean broadcasting companies and provide them to VOD service companies in KR. Looking at their site, looks like most of major Korean VOD services use them.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Yes, SMR gets contents from Korean broadcasting companies and provide them to VOD service companies in KR. Looking at their site, looks like most of major Korean VOD services use them.

Wow.. looking at the numbers, MR.SUNSHINE is actually being replayed a 100 million times more than the nearest drama at number 2. :o Impressive!

In the meantime MR.SUNSHINE is coming out with more cool merchandise, most likely these souvenir items are sold at the Sunshine Studios in Nonsan.

Photos: Lim Dong Wook

Glory Hotel Room 303 & 304 Key-rings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy thanksgiving for people in US :D

Today's news is about an event being held in Deoksugong, Korea.

20181122000005_0_20181122165905154.jpg?t

They're having an event called Deoksugong Sunshine, from Nov 23rd to Dec 12th. Main part of the event is displaying costumes used in the drama Mr. Sunshine, for Eugene Choi, Go Aeshin, and Kudo Hina. Article saying that the opening event held like a modern party, with performance of "Korean Empire Reception Ceremoney for Foreign Minister" where Korean Foreign Minister along with foreign ministers welcomed visitors. 

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=016&aid=0001467608 article says that visitors can enjoy Emperor's coffee with Plum cake.

• Like 5

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the latest update, hope you've had a great Thanksgiving dinner. Looks like MR.SUNSHINE is moving up the party scale! :lol:Kudo HiNa hands down had the best wardrobe, ever! Ae Shin's silk hanboks were so pretty, too. And Eugene's smart and sharp military uniform.. who could forget such fabulous costumes. The visitors and tourists to the Sunshine Studios have been donning the 1900s dresses and suits at the filming location, recreating the drama moments for themselves. Pretty cool to see their IG photos, the fans sure know how to have fun.

Shining fan-reviews on twitter mrs.jpg

Source: Kiyo @created_by_kiyo

A gem indeed!

Source: gülrose @nevsu_

Source: Anne Clipp @clipp_anne

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Photos & clip: by_youi

Source: @PUTitrighthere_

TOP 20 2018 Korean TV Drama with the highest ratings: 

1. SBS Return
2. tvN Mr. Sunshine
3. KBS The Miracle We Met
4. KBS Black Knight
5. SBS Shall We Kiss First
6. SBS Thirty but Seventeen
7. tvN 100 Days My Prince
8. KBS Suits
9. KBS Jugglers
10. tvN Wise Prison Life

Photos: miroo2416

• Like 3

20181128_lv.jpg

November 28, 2018

Winners Of 2018 Asia Artist Awards

Source: Soompi by J. K

Spoiler

Winners Of 2018 Asia Artist Awards

The 2018 Asia Artist Awards recognized some of the biggest stars in Korea’s entertainment industry!

The ceremony was held on the evening of November 28 in Seoul, with awards honoring the work of both actors and musicians in the past year.

The Daesangs (grand prizes) of the night went to BTS and Lee Byung Hun. BTS won five awards in total, while Lee Byung Hun and IU both took home four trophies.

Check out the full list of winners below!

Acting Category

StarPay Popularity Award: IU, EXO’s Sehun
Focus Award: Kim Yong Ji, Jin Joo Hyung, Shin Hyun Soo
Rising Star Award: ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo, Jung In Sun
New Wave Award: AOA’s Seolhyun
Favorite Award: Sung Hoon
Best Creator: Won Dong Yeon
Choice Award: Jasper Liu, Kwak Si Yang, B1A4’s Jinyoung
Asia Hot-tist Award: IU
Korean Tourism Appreciation Award: Lee Byung Hun
Asia Eco Creator: Park Hae Jin
Fabulous Award: Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo
Artist of the Year: Lee Sung Kyung, 2PM’s Junho, Ryu Jun Yeol, Jung Hae In, IU, Lee Seung Gi, Joo Ji Hoon, Yoo Yeon Seok, Ha Jung Woo, Lee Byung Hun
Rookie Award: Kim Da Mi, Jang Ki Yong
Best Icon: Choi Tae Joon, INFINITE’s L
Asia Brilliant Award: SHINee’s Minho, Lee Da Hee
Asia Trend: Jung Hae In, YoonA
Asia Celebrity: Suzy
Best Emotive: Jung Hae In, Junho, Lee Sung Kyung
Best Popular: Ryu Jun Yeol, Lee Seung Gi
Best Actor: Joo Ji Hoon, Yoo Yeon Seok, IU
Best Artist: Ha Jung Woo
Daesang: Lee Byung Hun

Congratulations to all the winners!

Source (1) (2)

Photos: KINGKONG by STARSHIP

November 29, 2018

Lee Byung Hun Wins Daesang For Actors At 2018 Asia Artist Awards

Source: Soompi by J. K

Lee Byung Hun Wins Daesang For Actors At 2018 Asia Artist Awards

Lee Byung Hun was given the highest award for actors at the 2018 Asia Artist Awards.

At the November 28 ceremony, the actor received four trophies in total, including the Daesang (grand prize) for actors, one of 10 Artist of the Year awards for actors, a Fabulous Award, and the Korean Tourism Appreciation Award.

When Lee Byung Hun accepted the Daesang, he stated, “While I watched the artists’ performances today during this long period of time, I thought to myself, ‘It must be tiring.’ I feel like I didn’t do anything at all and just received four awards.”

He went on to say, “This is the first time in my life that I’ve received this many awards, and I wonder if I deserve it.” He also congratulated his “Mr. Sunshine” co-star Yoo Yeon Seok on his awards, and shared the honor of his Daesang with his co-stars.

“I want to say thank you to my wife Lee Min Jung and our child,” he said. He also asked everyone to give their attention to Lee Min Jung’s upcoming drama “Fates and Furies.”

Spoiler

lee-byung-hun.jpg

The Daesang in the artists category at the 2018 Asia Artist Awards went to BTS. You can check out a full list of the night’s winners here.

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

Lee Byung Hun Receives the Korean Tourism Appreciation Award (TV/Film)

Clip: @fuyu_33

Translation: 태양 @SB_90x

Spoiler

Clip: ePhoenix.13 @BillyRocks_13

• Like 5

Hello,  I am very pleased to see that the actors of Mr. Sunshine bagged so many awards, they deserved it! In the end, this makes justice of all the bad things that were said at the beginnig... sorry for ranting, still hurts. Only, I wished some prize for Byun Yo Han, because I think he deserves one as well.

• Like 7

Hello @marfisa, can't agree more with what you said. MR.SUNSHINE received a lot of flak in the beginning.. everything was just wrong in the eyes of the skeptics. Yet in the end, it proved to be a quality production that gets its money worth.. performance-wise, doubling the value even tripling it. However, even with the recognition and accolade of awards, some people will still find faults to nag because they don't want to see the truth. Just how the world goes around..

True, it'll be great to see all of the 5 leads winning awards. Apart from the TV CF with Lee Byung Hun, we don't see much of Byun Yo Han as he's been busy with filming and other priorities. Kim Tae Ri on the other hand have been 'hibernating' as twitter fans are saying. Who knows when we will see her at the awards or other related public events. Better still.. if all five of them could get together. Although.. off-camera, some of the drama cast still meet up for lunch/dinner gatherings.

However, Kim Tae Ri's ardent fan have been diligently finding news of the actress including MR.SUNSHINE to share. Big thanks & kudos to her!

Source: Chungmuro Crumb

On the 14th anniversary news outlet "My Daily", their journalists conducted a survey for programs shown in cable channels (tvN, JTBC, OCN, etc). The targets are related 62 journalists and broadcasters who work in the broadcasting industry.

In the survey, they were asked who were the Hot Star (Best Newcomer) and Best Couple in entertainment, dramas and broadcasters that receiving attention in 2018. 

Kim Tae Ri topped the list hot star of the year that TVN discovered with 15 votes. Kim Tae Ri who made her debut in movie "The Handmaiden" and became Chungmuro Cinderella, took her first drama debut with "Mr. Sunshine." She proved her acting ability with a stable yet unique performance.

Meanwhile Kim Tae Ri and Lee Byung Hun who had 20 years old age-gap in "Mr Sunshine" came in 2nd place after Park-Park couple in the Best Couple List with 16 votes. They wipe out audience's doubt and overcame it with their acting skill.

'Hot Star of The Year' chosen by broadcasting official

1 KimTaeRi (15 votes)
2 DoKyungSoo (9 votes)
3 ParkHaeSoo (7 votes)
4 ParkHoSan, LeeKyuHyung, and IU (4 votes)

'Best couple of The Year' chosen by broadcasting official

1 ParkMinyoung - ParkSeojoon 23 votes
2 KimTaeRi - LeeByunghun 16 votes
3 NamJiHyun - DoKyungSo 8 votes

Source: http://naver.me/GPwGPpOs

Ms. Haman artwork by hamni

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, charray said:

Thanks for keeping this topic alive. I really like LBH in Mr Sunshine to the point he’s my only favorite K-actor, but I’m curious how come Kim Tae Ri didn’t get any awards. Her acting was so natural, and she was so cute/cool/on point in MS. I don’t know what it was like behind the scenes (i.e. if KTR made many NG or LBH had to support her a lot) but on screen she seems to set the bar equally with LBH. I also wonder if anyone has moved on from MS. For me I haven’t watched any new dramas/movies and don’t plan to any time soon. For the time being, every time I accidently hear the song A Good Day (my most favorite song in MS), I cannot hold back thinking about their hugs and the train tragic moment. I also not sure why MS is as not popular as other K-dramas (as read on the social media), but to me MS is the best of the best (I know I’m biased since I haven’t watched many dramas), but can’t stop thinking why could they make such a beautiful project: touching songs, dramatic moments, beautiful actors/actresses, and powerful acting…MS will forever remain in my heart. I’m really impressed with the love Eugene has for Ashin, and really in love with LBH’s and KTR’s acting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1