Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

On 11/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, mistymorning said:

Kinda funny to see this and feel nostalgia. I like this black horse Eugene rode to Go family house to rescue Aeshin. Look at white spot on his leg. 

From actor Lee SiKang's instagram.

So he had a horse-riding class and rode a horse named Yujini(from Choi Yu-Jin I'm sure) that was in Mr Sunshine as Eugene Choi's horse. Actor Lee is saying that the horse was mild tempered and pretty horse. 

Yeah.. anything from Mr Sunshine to cheer me up, I know... but I do like this horse and glad to see him/her doing so well!

Thank you so much for the highlight, we sure need treats like this! Glad to see that Yujini is doing well.. seems like he/she is EC's junior comrade and very professional. :lol: LBH's Eugene sure spent a lot of time with this beautiful horse and they acted out such intense scenes together throughout MR.SUNSHINE.

It's usually in the 2-hr movies we'd see (some of) the horses/bigger animals but in this 24-episode drama, it's definitely one of the excellent cast playing an important role.. particularly in the confrontation scene between EC and LSH. Well done Eugene & Yujinie! 912.gif

Favorite GIFS feat. Yujini..  can't miss the white spot on the leg, making an entrance.. walking in so gracefully :)

mrsun17_05.gif

Those legs.. the intro scene of Eugene vs Lee Se Hoon

mrsun06_8.gif

Riding into the sunset 

mrsun12_09.gif

• Like 5

@mistymorning and @rubie  Thanks guys for cosntantly updating the forum with info and translated articles associated to Mr. Sunshine!! :heart:

• Like 5

LOL @kansas424 good to see you here! :lol: It's still the year of MR.SUNSHINE.. can we ever move on? :P Thank you for posting, it means a lot.

A lot of the IG tags showing visitors to the Sunshine Studios wearing #EuShin costumes to take memorable photos at the filming sets. We can't go there but we can help keep this thread moving with the fan-sharing. 

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

The photo collection of MR.SUNSHINE (at the studio, presumably). The added background music from Eugene's music box is bringing back those bittersweet memories..

Clip: mr_candlelight

November 6, 2018

Mr. Sunshine (tvN 2018)

mr-sunshine.png

Just when you thought Kim Eun Sook was running out of ideas, she brought out the big guns. This epic block-buster of a series stars Lee Byung Hun as Eugene Choi and Kim Tae Ri as Go Ae Shin in a historical piece that is set in the early 1900s. The story involves Eugene falling in love Ae Shin despite their starkly different backgrounds. Eugene was born as a slave, but runs away to America where he becomes a Captain of the Marine Corps while Ae Shin is a Joseon noblewoman.

The series was well-received for its killer cast, which also included Yoo Yeon Seok, Kim Min Jung, and Byun Yo Han, and it was also received well for the cinematography.

Kim Eun Sook has yet again succeeded in bringing viewers a series that is so perfectly written that it’s almost incomparable to other K-dramas. She’s a one-of-a-kind writer and we can expect far more hits in the future!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hope these doesn't get merged..

Art by sora to umi @soratoumi18

November 9, 2018

Yoo Yeon Seok Talks About Auditioning Over 100 Times + Transformation Process For “Mr. Sunshine” Character

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Yoo Yeon Seok Talks About Auditioning Over 100 Times + Transformation Process For âMr. Sunshineâ Character

Yoo Yeon Seok shared stories from his auditions and experience filming tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine.”

On November 8, the actor appeared as a guest on tvN’s “Life Bar.”

He began, “I went to a lot of auditions. I think I went to over 100 auditions. Before ‘Reply 1994,’ I had been working for about 10 years and went to so many auditions during that time.”

When asked if he auditioned for his role on tvN’s “Reply 1994,” Yoo Yeon Seok answered, “I went to audition and didn’t really know any specific details about my character. I auditioned and passed in that kind of situation. For ‘Mr. Sunshine,’ I also didn’t really know any specific details about my character. I only knew that he was a character who was born as the son of a butcher, went to Japan, then returned to Korea because of a woman he loved.”

Shinhwa’s Kim Dong Wan and MC Shin Dong Yup brought up the scene where Yoo Yeon Seok walked on the beach with Kim Min Jung on his back.

When the MC asked if it was difficult, Yoo Yeon Seok replied, “Sand is difficult to walk on just by yourself, but on top of that, it was an emotional scene and a scene where Kim Min Jung was dying. So, I think it was a difficult scene for many reasons. It was more difficult emotionally than physically.”

Yoo-Yeon-Seok1.jpg

About his hair makeup for “Mr. Sunshine,” Yoo Yeon Seok explained, “At first, I put on [a beard] that was customized for my face. But I had so many close-up shots, that we ended up gluing on each piece of hair.”

When Super Junior’s Kim Heechul asked if the makeup process was easier if he grew out some of his own beard, the actor replied, “But if you grow out too much, then the glue won’t stick. I just had to grow a little bit of hair. We filmed for about 10 months.”

He continued, “From [the mustache and beard] to hair and putting on the outfits, it took about two hours every day. My past project was ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ so my skin was pale. While I was doing ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch,’ I was fitted for costumes and underwent makeup tests [for ‘Mr. Sunshine’]. But instead of a samurai, I looked a little bit like a geisha.”

After making everyone laugh, he added, “So the director and writer suggested that I tan a little and that we put on some darker makeup and a beard. I thought that it would be hard to wear a beard for 10 months, so I tried to think of other ways to express [my character]. But in the end, I looked more masculine after I put it on.”

“Mr. Sunshine” aired its final episode on September 29.

Source (1)

Photos: Tina Hsu

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After 4 days, hopefully these doesn't get merged.. 

mrs.jpg  EuShin and MaeHwa Appreciation tweets compilation by ePhoenix.13 @BillyRocks_13

Eugene's been posting quotes from MR.SUNSHINE as captions on his IG posts..

A MR.SUNSHINE quote by byunghun0712 on his IG post on 11/11, photos of the Hudson River. 

LBH's caption: Hudson River is not slippery when frozen 

20181111ec.jpg

11/14 Lee Byung Hun posted two photos with another quote from MR.SUNSHINE, obviously. 

Caption: The food that puts ground meat in the bread.

Spoiler

20181114ec.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

November 20, 2018

Pre-Order for Mr. Sunshine Premium version now opened!

Source: MrSunshineBD @MrSunshineBD mrs.jpg

Pre-Order for Mr. Sunshine Premium version will be open from Nov. 20th 2 PM to Dec. 19th (Local Korean time GMT+9).
Don’t forget to apply $11 coupon, you can download coupon by clicking on red coupon button.
Please support and promote premium version of Mr. Sunshine Blu-ray.

For more details, please check the official café notice page. 

http://cafe.daum.net/MrSunshineBD

November 16, 2018

Yoo Yeon Seok Shares Casting Story From “Mr. Sunshine” + Why He Became An Actor

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

Yoo Yeon Seok Shares Casting Story From âMr. Sunshineâ + Why He Became An Actor

On the November 15 episode of tvN’s “NEW Life Bar,” Oh Man Suk, Lee Kyu Hyung, Kim Dong Wan, and Yoo Yeon Seok continued their appearance as guests.

During the show, Yoo Yeon Seok shared the story of how he was cast as Goo Dong Mae in tvN hit “Mr. Sunshine.” He said, “I was on my way back from a scheduled event in Japan when I happened to meet the director and writer at the baggage claim. Afterwards, I met with the director for drinks on a rainy day. I was staring out the window, listening to the music that was playing in the background, when the director told me, ‘I like the look in your eyes.’ I got the offer for Goo Dong Mae after that.”

Spoiler

yoo-yeon-seok2.jpg

Yoo Yeon Seok made a strong impression playing the younger version of Yoo Ji Tae’s character in the movie “Oldboy.” About why he chose acting as a career, he said, “I was in elementary school when I was cast in a play for the school arts festival. I was originally playing a supporting role as the butterfly, but the lead actor couldn’t memorize his lines. The teacher noticed me mumbling along and I was given the lead role instead.”

He continued, “When I stood onstage and heard the applause, it was an electrifying experience. I had worked hard on something, showed it to everyone, and they enjoyed it. I thought, ‘This is what I want to do.’ I loved everything about performing and started dreaming of becoming an actor. In particular, I liked the thrill of the stage.”

yoo-yeon-seok-life-bar.jpg

Source (1) (2) (3)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Direct link to premium version order page is here

https://global.yes24.com/Goods/66986691

Nice article for Mr Sunshine Success.

Studio Dragon reported record high sales/profit of 123.7 Billion Won for 3rd quarter of 2018 thanks to Mr. Sunshine.

(https://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=103&oid=008&aid=0004129410)

This year's 3rd quarter sales of 123.7Billion Won, 59.7% ↑, operating profit 21.5Billion Won 223% ↑ ... Domestic/international sales UP thanks to Mr. Sunshine effect.

0004129410_001_20181107172302196.jpg?typ

Studio Dragon reported record high quarter sales in this year's 3rd Quarter. This is also the first time for Studio Dragon to go over 100 Billion Won for the quarter. This owes to success of the drama Mr. Sunshine.

Studio Dragon reported the this year's 3rd quarter sales is 123.7 billion won increased by 59.7% compared to 3rd quarter last year. For the same quarter, operation profit is 21.5 billion won, increased 223%. Profit is 17.3 billion won, 206.3% increase.

Sales can be categorized into 3 parts: selling televising rights to broadcasting companies,  distributing global OTT and VOD to domestic/internal market, and others. This quarter, 2nd part increased by large margin, 63.4 billion won, thanks to Mr Sunshine(172% increase). Televising rights also showed stable increase of 17.1%(48.9 billion won) compared to last quarter.

(skipping rest of articles, including mention of 4th quarter drama 100 Days My Prince and Player. Article also talks about selling Memories of Alhambra to China for future profit )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the updates, that is a very nice article indeed. One that every MR.SUNSHINE fan would be happy to know about. Too bad the drama isn't highlighted as much after it ended but it's definitely one series that did very well -- production, performance and profit-wise. Contrary to what some people were saying..

Anyway, Chungmuro Crumb posted a lot of wonderful photos (in a 9 series of IG posts) of the MR.SUNSHINE filming site. Please check them out ~

Part 1, Hotel Glory
FINALLY I AM HERE.... Welcome to Korean Empire...Welcome to the glorious Hotel Glory...
Sunshine Land, Mr Sunshine filming location is located at Nonsan. It can reach via KTX Seoul (Yongsan Station) to Nonsan about 2 hours +1 hours bus from Nonsan Station to Nonsan Sunshine Land.
It's so beautiful, detail and will make you never move on from this series (at least in my case)

• Like 3

I am a theaterologist. In the profession for 30 years  So I have some idea about the art of scriptwriting.

Let me introduce you to my analysis of the "Mr. Sunshine" scenario, which I made after a few weeks from the painful watching of the last episodes.

The more I think about it, the more clearly I see that it has been badly broken. It was beautiful to a certain point, but then beauty was cruelly killed.

Viewers in many forums complain that they can not get back into balance after watching the drama until the end that they are sad and devastated. It's probably not good? Do not you think?

A distanced analysis of the scenario the „Mr. Sunshine” drama allows you to see a lot of illogicality and the lack of consistency of certain threads and characters. However, it discovers the most unnecessary cruelty with which she treated the 16 most important heroes.

1. Eugene's father912000301880430592

2. Eugene's mother.912000431556186112

Spoiler

3. Ae-sin's mother.912000582055743488

4. Ae-sin's father.

The death of these above is still understandable for the plot. But the remaining ones could have been less.

In my opinion the goal was intentional: first the viewer is to be delighted and to love the main characters and those from the second plan, and then the screenwriter sequentially kills them and often in a very bloody way.

5. Joseph.912001044778795008

6. Lord Go.912001204292370432

7. Jumo.

8. Belowed Hina Kudo.

912001481875603456 9. Jang shooter912001666932490240

10. Belowed madam Haman

11. Belowed  Haengrang

12. Yuzo.

13. Potter Eun San

14. Belowed  Kim Hui-seong

15. Belowed Gu Dong-mae

16. Finally wonderful Eugene Choi!

I wondered about the alleged patriotic intention of this cruelty. Maybe she wanted to show how many beloved people sacred life for the Homeland. Hmmm ... Why are there grotesque words on the tomb of Eugen that he remained in Joseon for a picnic? Or sacrifice for others for the Homeland, or a picnic? Do not you think?

Picnic?!

I'm a Pole. Our nation has also gone through a lot: the loss of freedom for 123 years, two world wars, communism, Aushwitz and much more, and yet in our patriotic films there is no such accumulation of bloody crackdown on positive heroes. Yes, some people die for their Homeland, but there are always others who remain in balance, and the viewer gets a portion of hope and comfort, and does not leave mentally depressed and disgusted!

Death scene Eugene. Would it not be more logical and safer for him and others if he were covered by a Japanese aristocrat and remained in the carriage, where were his countrymen, and ordered the Japanese army to move to the next train car and then unhook him?

After all, just as KES did, even one Japanese from behind the back Eugene could kill completely exposed Ae-sin! After all, Eugene, whom we knew would not do it!

And the issue of the last transmission, the alleged message about hope for the Koreans, and so the youth trained in Manchuria by Ae-sin. What was her qualification? She was just a sniper. Eugene was a soldier and would be able to professionally train Korean partisans!

And the love theme of Eugene and Ae-sin - wonderful, but a little funny. It was unrealistic to drag their restraint so that they would not even kiss each other! They were married, but not entirely because they were not formally married. What is this! Why did she waste this way !? Such beautiful Love, so wonderfully played and so stupidly deformed!

I have more notices, but I do not want to bore you. It is a pity this beautiful story. It could be much better and full of hope, but it is beautiful, but it causes most sadness, depression and emotional disorder!

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 3po3 said:

Thank you @rubie  I'm not very good at English. Is my analysis understandable to you? 

Spoiler

I'm a Pole. Our nation has also gone through a lot: the loss of freedom for 123 years, two world wars, communism, Aushwitz and much more, and yet in our patriotic films there is no such accumulation of bloody crackdown on positive heroes. Yes, some people die for their Homeland, but there are always others who remain in balance, and the viewer gets a portion of hope and comfort, and does not leave mentally depressed and disgusted!

Death scene Eugene. Would it not be more logical and safer for him and others if he were covered by a Japanese aristocrat and remained in the carriage, where were his countrymen, and ordered the Japanese army to move to the next train car and then unhook him?

After all, just as KES did, even one Japanese from behind the back Eugene could kill completely exposed Ae-sin! After all, Eugene, whom we knew would not do it!

And the issue of the last transmission, the alleged message about hope for the Koreans, and so the youth trained in Manchuria by Ae-sin. What was her qualification? She was just a sniper. Eugene was a soldier and would be able to professionally train Korean partisans!

And the love theme of Eugene and Ae-sin - wonderful, but a little funny. It was unrealistic to drag their restraint so that they would not even kiss each other! They were married, but not entirely because they were not formally married. What is this! Why did she waste this way !? Such beautiful Love, so wonderfully played and so stupidly deformed!

I have more notices, but I do not want to bore you. It is a pity this beautiful story. It could be much better and full of hope, but it is beautiful, but it causes most sadness, depression and emotional disorder!I wondered about the alleged patriotic intention of this cruelty. Maybe she wanted to show how many beloved people sacred life for the Homeland. Hmmm ... Why are there grotesque words on the tomb of Eugene that he remained in Joseon for a picnic? Or sacrifice for others for the Homeland, or a picnic? Do not you think?

@3po3 No worries, you deliver and explained in English well, no problem in understanding it.

As  I wrote elsewhere.. I feel that the quote by Kyle on EC's tombstone.. was simply his way of not believing that Eugene died. But KES actually using it as the last words for him.. seems rather sadistic of her.

To me, the story ended at episode 21, in front of the US Legation in Japan. Even if we don't see any happy ending, at least they had a chance at that very moment (EC still serving jail time but with AS waiting for him in NY) and I would just leave it at that.

As revealed at the press conference before the airing.. KES took a break before writing the 2 final episodes. She's likely weighing various ideas on what would be the most "killer" ending for her drama, excuse the pun! :ph34r: Personally I don't believe she didn't even think about the obvious happy vs sad possibilities for the ending but she went with the most impact in the most unforgettable way ever.

Although it felt like a totally different story altogether (considering the background of the characters that we've learnt to know and appreciate), it's probably the ending that would resonate more with Koreans than anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another nice article for drama Mr. Sunshine.

Mr Sunshine is the most replayed online clip for weekend drama for the 2nd half of 2018, by the report from Smart Media Rep(SMR) company who does online distribution for KBS/MBC/SBS/tvN/JTBC and other broadcasting companies.

(from the article https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=001&aid=0010482795)

0010482795tableImage2.png?type=w540

From the top, the table here is for 2nd half Sat/Sun drama total number of replay.

1. tvN -  Mr Sunshine 165,979,226

2. JTBC - My id is Gangnam Beauty 50,864,543

3. JTC - The Third Charm 18,304,694

4. MBC - Hide and Seek 12,020,384

5. SBS - Let me introduce her 11,790,964

6. KBS - My Only One 11,001,783

7. tvN - Nine room 10,300,697

8. SBS - Ms. Ma, Nemesis 3,468,460

9. MBC - My love ChiYooGi 1,343,844

As you can see, Mr. Sunshine is indisputable top here. And SMR only provides contents for Korean site only(like navercast and kakao, tving ), so Netflix isn't included here. 

• Like 5

Thanks very much @mistymorning for another nice article on MR.SUNSHINE. Such a good and credible article indeed, one that we likely won't see highlighted by K-ent blogs etc. To date the drama isn't just about the fluffy stuff.. it doesn't even have any fluffy-ness at all, till the last airing but it's been recognized as one of the most-watched & well-loved Korean dramas and for very good reason, too.

Please keep on highlighting and sharing more nice articles on MR.SUNSHINE which we would love to read. As fans, we may have different thoughts about the ending particularly but the drama had definitely proved itself as a top-notch production with sterling performances by the cast which should not be overlooked.

A photo of Kyle Moore recently, thanks to Eda ~

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Another nice article for drama Mr. Sunshine.

Mr Sunshine is the most replayed online clip for weekend drama for the 2nd half of 2018, by the report from Smart Media Rep(SMR) company who does online distribution for KBS/MBC/SBS/tvN/JTBC and other broadcasting companies.

(from the article https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=001&aid=0010482795)

From the top, the table here is for 2nd half Sat/Sun drama total number of replay.

1. tvN -  Mr Sunshine 165,979,226

2. JTBC - My id is Gangnam Beauty 50,864,543

3. JTC - The Third Charm 18,304,694

4. MBC - Hide and Seek 12,020,384

5. SBS - Let me introduce her 11,790,964

6. KBS - My Only One 11,001,783

7. tvN - Nine room 10,300,697

8. SBS - Ms. Ma, Nemesis 3,468,460

9. MBC - My love ChiYooGi 1,343,844

As you can see, Mr. Sunshine is indisputable top here. And SMR only provides contents for Korean site only(like navercast and kakao, tving ), so Netflix isn't included here. 

Thanks Misty for wonderful translation!! 

Is it VOD? You pay subscription fee to watch the drama online?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Thanks Misty for wonderful translation!! 

Is it VOD? You pay subscription fee to watch the drama online?

Yes, SMR gets contents from Korean broadcasting companies and provide them to VOD service companies in KR. Looking at their site, looks like most of major Korean VOD services use them.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Yes, SMR gets contents from Korean broadcasting companies and provide them to VOD service companies in KR. Looking at their site, looks like most of major Korean VOD services use them.

Wow.. looking at the numbers, MR.SUNSHINE is actually being replayed a 100 million times more than the nearest drama at number 2. :o Impressive!

In the meantime MR.SUNSHINE is coming out with more cool merchandise, most likely these souvenir items are sold at the Sunshine Studios in Nonsan.

Photos: Lim Dong Wook

Glory Hotel Room 303 & 304 Key-rings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy thanksgiving for people in US :D

Today's news is about an event being held in Deoksugong, Korea.

20181122000005_0_20181122165905154.jpg?t

They're having an event called Deoksugong Sunshine, from Nov 23rd to Dec 12th. Main part of the event is displaying costumes used in the drama Mr. Sunshine, for Eugene Choi, Go Aeshin, and Kudo Hina. Article saying that the opening event held like a modern party, with performance of "Korean Empire Reception Ceremoney for Foreign Minister" where Korean Foreign Minister along with foreign ministers welcomed visitors. 

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=016&aid=0001467608 article says that visitors can enjoy Emperor's coffee with Plum cake.

• Like 5

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the latest update, hope you've had a great Thanksgiving dinner. Looks like MR.SUNSHINE is moving up the party scale! :lol:Kudo HiNa hands down had the best wardrobe, ever! Ae Shin's silk hanboks were so pretty, too. And Eugene's smart and sharp military uniform.. who could forget such fabulous costumes. The visitors and tourists to the Sunshine Studios have been donning the 1900s dresses and suits at the filming location, recreating the drama moments for themselves. Pretty cool to see their IG photos, the fans sure know how to have fun.

Shining fan-reviews on twitter mrs.jpg

Source: Kiyo @created_by_kiyo

A gem indeed!

Source: gülrose @nevsu_

Source: Anne Clipp @clipp_anne

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Photos & clip: by_youi

Source: @PUTitrighthere_

TOP 20 2018 Korean TV Drama with the highest ratings: 

1. SBS Return
2. tvN Mr. Sunshine