[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

December 28, 2018

The Most Empowering Moments Of 2018 For Women In K-Entertainment

Source: Soompi by hgordon (for full article please refer Soompi new site)

2018 was a remarkable year for women in the Korean entertainment industry, with female singers and actresses breaking records, achieving new firsts, and making inspiring contributions both in and outside of their work. Whether playing admirable K-drama characters, performing motivational songs, or spreading positivity and self-acceptance, our favorite female K-entertainers truly made 2018 their year. Here’s a walk through the year’s nine most empowering moments for women in K-entertainment. Get ready to be inspired!

1. BoA’s “Woman”

2. The success of BLACKPINK’s “DDU-DU DDU-DU”

3. Amber Liu’s body positivity

4. HyunA’s poise

5. Inspiring K-drama leads

mrsun12_03.gif

K-dramas in 2018 abounded with more badass women than ever before, giving us strong leading ladies who carried their shows and inspired us with determination and self-discovery. Here are a few of our faves:

Spoiler

Kim-Tae-Ri-Lee-Byung-Hun.gif

Kim Tae Ri fought for freedom as Go Ae Shin in “Mr. Sunshine,” challenging her traditional societal role as a noblewoman and never hesitating to prioritize her Righteous Army missions over men — no matter what her feelings for them.

6. “Herstory”

7. Support for the “Me Too” movement

8. Lee Young Ja’s Daesang

9. Empowering music

Photo: Chungmuro Crumb

• Like 5

Another VOD related news.

Source: Seoul Economy

SKB Btv End of Year Best Special ... upto 50% discount

SKB Btv âì°ë§ ë² ì¤í¸ í¹ì§ê´â ì´ì...ìµë 50% í ì¸

SK Broadband Btv is having year-end VOD special that were viewed most in the year of 2018.  It'll be 3 themes, 

the bestseller movies of the year, the most viewed drama of the year, steadyseller kids title of the year. The list is based on real Btv users 2018 usage data. 

The most popular movies of the year

1. Along with the gods: The Two Worlds

2. Along with the gods: The Last 49 Days

3. Believer

4. The witch

5. Avengers: Infinity war

The most viewed dramas of the year

1. Mr Sunshine

2. Prison playbook

3. My Golden Life

4. My Ajjussi

5. What's Wrong with Secretary Kim

6. Something in the rain

Actor Yoon Juman(Character:Yujo in Mr Sunshine) also uploaded party photo.

• Like 5

Related MR.SUNSHINE excerpt, full article HEREth_zz_searchdoc.gif

December 28, 2018

Top 10 entertainment headlines in 2018

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

The media industry in 2018 has been plagued by many unfortunate events. The year started out with the #MeToo movement that engulfed many stars including sexual misconduct scandal-hit veteran actor Jo Min-ki who eventually ended his own life before a police investigation. 

It ended with a growing number of celebrities embroiled in their parents' debt allegations. Following rapper Microdot, who reversed his initial denial, many stars have been blamed in debt scandals involving their parents. 

It was also the year that the line dividing traditional TV and streaming media has become more blurry, with many celebrities opening YouTube channels and YouTube stars appearing on TV. 

The local drama world had seen many genre dramas but only a couple of dramas from cable channels stood out. The reality TV and cooking show trends continued this year. Many TV shows including "Mr. Sunshine" and "Memories of the Alhambra" reached more drama fans around the world on Netflix, which keeps expanding its presence in the local entertainment business. 

1. Stars in hot seat for #MeToo, debt scandal 

2. Major TV networks down, cable TV up

a143618a0ece430c83c7fc59fdb108ca.jpg
A scene from tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine" / Courtesy of CJ ENM

There was no "Descendants of the Sun"-like hit drama this year. 

Wary of YouTube and Netflix increasing their influence, major broadcasters are losing the trust of viewers. Seven dramas finished with ratings just touching the 1 percent threshold. But cable channels tvN, OCN and JTBC have made meaningful achievements, focusing on their specialties. 

The tvN blockbuster drama "Mr. Sunshine," for which Netflix invested 80 percent of its production costs, was the best drama of the year. The cable drama enjoyed more than an 18 percent viewership rating, making its star Lee Byung-hun sweep many awards. 

tvN's "100 Days My Prince" was another hit and the currently airing "Memories of Alhambra" has been received strong responses from drama fans as well. 

From "Misty" to currently broadcasting "SKY Castle" JTBC has shown strength in depicting female characters, while OCN solidified its power on genre dramas with "Life on Mars" and "The Guest." 

3. More stars head for YouTube

4. Netflix becomes game changer

5. 'Infinite Challenge' ends 13-year journey

6. Cooking show trend continues 

7. Female entertainers steal show

8. Legendary actor Shin Seong-il dies

9. Accidents reveal chronic problems in drama making 

10. Korean drama's U.S. remake wins big

jinhai@koreatimes.co.kr 

• Like 5

January 2, 2019 (related MR.SUNSHINE excerpt)

Article: 22 K-Drama Superlatives From 2018

by Belinda_C @ soompi

With 2018 now in our rear-view mirror, it’s time to look back at the year we’ve had, and celebrate all the ups-and-downs of K-dramaland. It doesn’t seem like 2018 has been a particularly strong year for K-dramas, with quite a few shows starting out strong but losing the plot halfway through or just being a let down in general.

Despite so, there are still some really good gems out there, with a little something for everyone. So in order to honor the multitude of dramas that have (for better or worse) accompanied us through our own ups-and-downs, here’s the superlative style round up for 2018.

This list (in no particular order) is more fun than authoritative, and aims to spread the love and include as many dramas as possible. So feel free to come up with your own categories and nominations and share them with us in the comments section below!

Disclaimer: The article only includes dramas that started airing between December 1, 2017 to November 30, 2018. Also, minor spoilers ahead!

Most buzzy return to the small screen

Lee Byung Hun, “Mr. Sunshine”

lee-byung-hun-mr-sunshine.jpg

Aired on: tvN
Air date: July 7 – September 30, 2018 (24 eps.)

Starring: Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok, Kim Min Jung, Byun Yo Han

Lee Byung Hun’s last lead role on TV was in 2009 (“IRIS“), thus when news of him starring in “Mr. Sunshine” started spreading — a Kim Eun Sook vehicle no less — it generated major buzz. The epic storytelling, coupled with Lee Byung Hun’s captivating performance, kept the drama on the list of most buzzworthy dramas for many consecutive weeks. The talented actor himself also won a Daesang for this role at the 2018 Asia Artist Awards.

Mr.-Sunshine-Lee-Byung-Hun-gif.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 4:23 AM, mistymorning said:

New year starts with a happy news! We finally got confirmation from production company. 

That's a great news, indeed! Finally fans are relieved of the anxiety from last year.. the rush of getting the number of orders in and then waiting for the confirmation.

Now a happy kind of mood is taking over while waiting the special package to arrive. mrs.jpg

January 3, 2019

Here Are The Top 10 Most Buzzworthy Dramas Of 2018

Source: Soompi by D. S.kim

Here Are The Top 10 Most Buzzworthy Dramas Of 2018

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz in 2018 have been revealed!

On January 3, Good Data Corporation Korea released the list of dramas that generated the most buzz in 2018. The company gathered data from the dramas that started airing after January 1, 2018 and ended before December 31, 2018.

As a result, JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” with Jung Hae In and Son Ye Jin took first place. The drama, which aired from March 30 to May 1, 2018, received much praise for realistically portraying a couple’s romance and addressing various societal issues at the same time.

Good-Corporation-Data.jpg

Top 10 Buzzworthy Drama Of 2018:

1. JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food”
2. tvN’s “My Ahjussi”
3. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”
4. tvN’s “What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim?”
5. tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”
6. JTBC’s “The Beauty Inside”
7. OCN’s “The Guest”
8. JTBC’s “Misty”
9. JTBC’s “My ID Is Gangnam Beauty”
10. SBS’s “Return”

Top 10 Dramas With Highest Increase Rate In Buzz From First To Last Week Of Broadcast:

1. OCN’s “The Guest”
2. JTBC’s “Misty”
3. JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food”
4. OCN’s “Life on Mars”
5. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”
6. OCN’s “Children of a Lesser God”
7. tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”
8. tvN’s “My Ahjussi”
9. JTBC’s “The Beauty Inside”
10. tvN’s “Mother”

Top 10 Dramas That Generated The Most Buzz In Their Last Week Of Broadcast:

1. tvN’s “My Ahjussi”
2. OCN’s “The Guest”
3. tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”
4. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”
5. JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food”
6. tvN’s “What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim?”
7. JTBC’s “The Beauty Inside”
8. JTBC’s “Misty”
9. JTBC’s “My ID Is Gangnam Beauty”
10. OCN’s “Life on Mars”

Source (1)

Clip: Sunshine Studio

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clip: Sunshine Studio

Sunshine Studio Hansung tram service guide 
ㅤ ㅤ ㅤ 

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

January 5, 2019

Korean Actors Brush up on English-Language Skills

By Pyo Tae-jun The Chosun Ilbo

In his latest film "Take Point," Ha Jung-woo's lines are mostly in English as he heads a group of mercenaries. Ha admits that playing the part was "quite a challenge."

"It drove me nuts whenever my language coach pointed out an incorrect pronunciation when I said a line while trying to immerse myself into my character," he said.

But as Korean films ride a wave of K-pop enthusiasm overseas, it has to be done. Ha took one-on-one English language lessons for six months before filming began.

He and his teacher, Christine Kim, would go for walks during lessons to make speaking English become more natural. "I made him memorize the words, accent and gestures of his favorite basketball player Kobe Bryant and Tom Cruise after watching YouTube," Kim said. "We never sat down when we met for lessons and I trained him to speak in English while walking or moving. A natural sense of language comes with gestures or movements."

In the movie "Default," which is about the 1997 Asian financial crisis, French actor Vincent Cassel and his co-star Kim Hye-soo speak to each other in English. And in "The Drug King," which opened last month, Bae Doo-na also speaks English. She has employed a dialect coach since the early 2000s as she has appeared in a couple of Hollywood films.

Lee Byung-hun, who played a U.S. Marine in the TV drama, "Mr. Sunshine," took English conversation classes at a crammer in Gangnam. Park Jung-geun, the personal tutor for Lee as well as Yoo Ji-tae and Han Hyo-joo, said, "Learning English while sitting down and focusing primarily on grammar is no help at all when acting in a scene. The secret is using hands and learning other gestures.

• Like 4

Variety 2019: Coffee Friends 커피프렌즈 with Yoo Yeon Seok & Son Ho Juncuppa.gif

January 9, 2019

Inaugural episode of 'Coffee Friends' lands high on weekly TV chart

SEOUL, Jan. 9 (Yonhap) -- Entertainment-oriented cable channel tvN's new reality show "Coffee Friends" landed high on the weekly TV program chart in the week of the show's debut, data showed Wednesday.

The tvN program, which ran its first episode on Friday, earned a Content Power Index (CPI) score of 239.4 for the week of Dec. 31-Jan. 6.

The brand new show famously employed two heartthrobs, Son Ho-joon and Yoo Yeon-seok. Yoo cemented his presence with a breakout role in the wildly successful 2018 tvN drama series "Mr. Sunshine."

The new reality program was inspired by the two close friends' private charity project of the same title. The program reflects the continuing popularity of reality shows featuring gastronomy and celebrities in South Korea.

"Coffee Friends" follows the two young bachelors' attempt to build a brunch place out of a tangerine farm house on the scenic Jeju Island.

Other big-name entertainers, including Choi Ji-woo, are invited as guests of the Friday night show to add sparkle.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

The weekly chart was topped by tvN drama series "Encounter," starring Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum. The Wednesday-Thursday program depicts the journey of Cha Soo-hyun, a daughter of a high-profile politician who divorced her chaebol husband, to find her true love.

"Encounter" garnered a 269.4 CPI score and was followed by the SBS drama series "The Last Empress," which earned 252.6.

CPI, created by CJ E&M and Nielsen Korea, measures the level of popularity, social media presence and influence on consumer behavior of entertainment TV programs aired on the three major terrestrial networks -- MBC, SBS and KBS -- and the seven cable channels owned by CJ ENM, including tvN, Mnet and OCN, during prime time.

JTBC, another cable network that airs some highly popular entertainment shows and dramas, is not included in the measurement.

Spoiler

This image of tvN reality show "Coffee Friends" was provided by the cable channel. (Yonhap)

This image of tvN reality show "Coffee Friends" was provided by the cable channel. (Yonhap)

pbr@yna.co.kr

• Like 4

January 12, 2019

MR.SUNSHINE reunion at Yoo Yeon Seok's musical 'A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder'

Photo posted by Kim Na Woon  :) spot the cast ~ Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Byun Yo Han, Kim Nam Hee, Lee Jung Eun and others..

20190112_mrs.jpg

Clip: song_ha_rim_

Lee Byung Hun, Kim Nam Hee, Kim Tae Ri and Byun Yo Han
  • Like 4

DDOBOJA reviews: Mr. Sunshine mrs.jpg

Article & more GIFS at original page here ~

When initial reports came out about 'Mr. Sunshine', I'm going to be honest - I wasn't that excited for it. Some of the reasons for my lack of interest was due to: my love-hate relationship with writer Kim Eun Sook's dramas and Lee Byung Hun's playing the main role in this drama. 

mrsun-hands.gif

I think the reason I have a love-hate relationship with Kim Eun Sook's dramas is because I find some of her dramas childish or mediocre. 'The Heirs' reminded me of a bad rendition of 'Gossip Girl' where you just watched a bunch of immature characters fighting for the affection of a female character. I couldn't get into 'Descendants of the Sun' because the drama just felt like it was filled with fan service for romance drama lovers. The only drama written by Kim Eun Sook that I enjoyed from start to end was 'Goblin'. The reason I enjoyed that drama so much was because of the acting performance by Kim Go Eun and Gong Yoo, the cinematography (wow... those sageuk scenes tho), and the soundtrack - to this day I still listen to Ailee's 'I Will Go to You like the First Snow'. So after it was announced that Kim Eun Sook's next drama was 'Mr. Sunshine', I was a little bit interested because 'Goblin' really left me impressed but then it was announced that Lee Byung Hun was the male lead. 

Spoiler

Many people often say, "love the art not the artist." These words are usually used when the artist is problematic. I think it also perfectly describes Lee Byung Hun's career. Let's be real, Lee Byung Hun's acting is critically acclaimed. He never fails to impress viewers whether he's playing an agent who's fighting a cannibalistic murderer in 'I Saw the Devil' or a thug who loses his hand in 'Inside Men'. But it often seems like his personal life overshadows his performance. And I believe with 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun once again proved to viewers that he is actor Lee Byung Hun with amazing performance abilities and not actor Lee Byung Hun with a messy personal life. 

Spoiler

What I was looking most forward to was Kim Tae Ri. I became a fan of Kim Tae Ri the moment I saw her in Park Chan Wook's 'The Handmaiden'. Can you believe 'Mr. Sunshine' was Kim Tae Ri's first drama? Kim Tae Ri has filmed four movies in the past three years and they're all critically acclaimed. The reason I love Kim Tae Ri's performance in all her projects is because of her diction. Especially in 'Mr. Sunshine', she plays the role of Lady Ae Shin - she's supposed to be a soft-spoken lady that belongs to a high status noble family but every time Kim Tae Ri delivers her lines that are meant to attack her enemy, you can sense the anger but her tone is still clear and stable. 

mrsun-11.gif

Spoiler

I know many people weren't happy that three of the main male leads (Lee Byung Hun, Byun Yo Han, Yoo Yeon Seok) were going after the female lead (Kim Tae Ri). But I think this drama handles a love triangle/square really differently compared to other Kim Eun Sook dramas and Korean dramas. I think each male lead is in love with their own idea of Kim Tae Ri. Yoo Yeon Seok's character Goo Dong Mae was obsessed with Kim Tae Ri's character Go Ae Shin after their first encounter during their childhood and he looks out for her in his own way but initially, Ae Shin just thinks he has something against her and her status. 

Spoiler

Byun Yo Han's character Kim Hee Sung is drowning in his own regrets because he made Ae Shin (his betrothed) wait for him throughout a lengthy period and then she fell in love with someone else while waiting for him while Kim Hee Sung fell in love with Ae Shin the moment he saw her. 

And Lee Byung Hun's character Eugene Choi falls in love with Ae Shin, a woman who is from the country that abandoned him - the same woman who is trying to save that country. 

This drama really resonated with me because I'm Korean-American and the historical events behind this drama's plot is really culturally personal. Growing up Korean-American, I went through a phase that's very common amongst other Asian-Americans. You just want to be identified as American and not be labeled as Asian-American but I learned to grow out of this very sad mindset and have come to embrace and appreciate my culture. This drama also deals with a topic that many people aren't familiar with. Many people don't realize that Korea gained independence in 1945 after being under Japanese rule for 35 years. In my opinion, this drama was able to educate people on history that many people weren't aware of and that many have forgotten about. When this drama was airing, a lot of the comments I translated were about commenters saying that they can't forget what the independence fighters fought for so that they can have the Korea they currently have. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the writer Kim Eun Sook said that she got inspiration to write 'Mr. Sunshine' after seeing a picture of members of the Righteous Army at a museum. 

I also loved how this drama was able to make actress Kim Min Jung's acting shine. Kim Min Jung is a well-known actress but I feel like she's mostly known for her glamorous looks rather than her acting. But her performance as Yang Hwa really left me breathless as she played a character who was only living on with the hopes of finding her mother and to sabotage her traitor father's (Kim Eui Sung) plans.  

hamandaek-aeshin.gif

I think my favorite part about this drama would have to be the selflessness from many of the good-hearted characters like Hamandaek (Lee Jung Eun), Shin Jung Geun (Haengrang), Shim Jong Min/the tailor (Nam Chang Hee), and more. Many of these good-hearted characters weren't afraid to risk their jobs and lives in order for their loved ones to live in a better Korea and in this drama, they knew Ae Shin needed to survive in order to help Korea gain independence. 

Overall, this was one of my favorite dramas of 2018. The production, directing, acting, and dialogue really touched my heart one by one. You can feel whenever a character was going through a heartache after losing someone they loved (make sure to have tissues next to you starting from episode 14 and onwards). Even if you're not a fan of historical Korean dramas, I definitely recommend you to check out 'Mr. Sunshine'. There's still a modern twist to it so that the drama won't seem monotonous and you'll learn something about Korea that you never knew about. 

January 12, 2019

Ha Jung Woo Praises Uniqueness Of “Memories Of The Alhambra” And Other Recent Dramas

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

Spoiler

Ha Jung Woo Praises Uniqueness Of âMemories Of The Alhambraâ And Other Recent Dramas

In an interview for his new movie “PMC: The Bunker,” veteran actor Ha Jung Woo talked about being impressed by recent TV dramas.

“Dramas have gotten a lot more bold in their subject matter,” he said. “I was watching ‘Memories of the Alhambra’ and I thought, how did they make something so unique?”

He continued, “I was surprised to see moments where there was no talking for up to a minute, only music and sounds. I realized that these things are now possible in TV dramas.”

He shared some other examples of dramas that have impressed him with their production value, saying, “I thought about this with ‘Goblin’ too, but the cinematography for ‘Mr. Sunshine’ was brilliant. I think that since dramas reflect the current trends, they have to recognize that and also go beyond.” mrs.jpg

“PMC: The Bunker,” also titled “Take Point,” is about a global mercenary force (PMC) that is commissioned by the CIA to apprehend a North Korean official in a secret bunker 30 meters (about 98 feet) underground. It stars Ha Jung Woo as the captain of the mercenary force and Lee Sun Gyun as the doctor with the key to the bunker.

“Memories of the Alhambra” is a tvN drama about the CEO of an investment company (Hyun Bin) who gets involved with the owner of a hostel in Granada (Park Shin Hye) as the boundary between the real world and AR games begins to blur.

Source (1)

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing everyone! I am so happy that our Mr. Sunshine crew is doing so well! I heard that they all had a reunion. I miss them! I can't express how much I love Mr. Sunshine. I can't express how much I love the characters. I will continue to follow their careers. I miss them all. And I really really miss Eugene. I can't stand it! Why did he die on the train?!!!!!

Me:

Image result for eugene choi mr sunshine gif

"I think I need a drink. I'm so depressed."

credit to owner this is not mine!

And I think the drama should have been longer! Why? I think that I still have more questions. Who was Hi Na's mother? Was Hi Na in love with Hee Sun?

Did the Glory Hotel burn down? Did Ae sin love Eugene? Did Eugene only love her? So many questions. Kim Eun Sook why you end it?

Me again:

Image result for eugene choi mr sunshine gif

"Hey everybody!"

credit to owner this is not mine!

Oh my she is so beautiful. Her skin is so smooth and beautiful. Look at her cute wink. I miss The Glory Hotel!

• Like 3

More Eugene :heart::

Image result for eugene choi gif

Edit: He looks handsome with a scar on his face!!!

Image result for eugene choi gif11

Image result for eugene choi gif

OH MY. EUGENE CHOI IS PERFECT. OK LBH is PERFECT. He is born to play Eugene Choi. I need more dramas from you Mr. LBH. Everyone, I know he's married to the beautiful Lee Min Young(That's her name right?). I just can't stop fangirling!

These gifs are not mine. All the credit goes to the owner

Edit: you are all thinking, "that fan is crazy..."

Me:

Related image

OMG! "Eugene CHOI!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "LBH!" He's so handsome! Yes! I'm crazy!

gif is credit to owner it's not mine

Edited by 2handsintertwined
LBH is so handsome and talented
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

I'm backreading this thread!

Me:

gif not mine!

"All your comments are so beautiful." and "I'm so emotional I miss Mr. Sunshine."

Haha, i agree he should do more drama in future =)

Check this out !!

• Like 3

Lovely caricature of EuShin by Ruro but the sadness is undeniable.. th_sad004.gif

At times, can't help thinking if they'd do a spin-off of MR.SUNSHINE feat. Gwansoo, Kyle, Domi, Sumi etc .. but it really won't be the same, obviously.th_sad010.gif

• Like 3

19 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Haha, i agree he should do more drama in future =)

Yes! So Mr. Sunshine is a  historical drama...I hope he chooses a drama that he likes! :) 

Thank you for posting the portrait drawing! And I'm going to repost your video:

So handsome :heart:. I think this is a beautiful portrait drawing of him. Eugene Choi. This drawing looks like him :) 

Why does LBH look so handsome in these clothes???:bawling:

Me:

Image result for eugene choi gifs

"Thank you!"

• Like 3