[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

i saw the preview of ep 47 - 48 ,

Spoiler

it means the Xu Feng is not totally vanished.. and currently rescued by the bird princess (forgot her name and her clan) ? Now i wonder why Runyu still want to destroy Xu Feng ????!!! I still don't get it !!!! He already the King.. and he already has Jin Mi...!!!

• Like 2

Original screenwriter came out to defend herself and her script which was changed by producers. Somehow the script got leaked online and it had much more otp development and XF had all his original lines. There was not so much focus on RY or the demon princess all of that was added. 

The original script contract was for 36 episodes. The rest was added and changed without the writers consent. 

Sad that stuff like this happen, apparently the script was so much better and it was original to the novel. The first episodes or so kept her original script, no wonder everyone was so happy with the adaptation then. 

Edit: it seems fans were right and from the original script a lot of XF scenes were removed while they added a focus on RY and even gave him some of his lines.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 5

Actor Wang Renjun played the Water God so well, I was genuinely sad to see him die. Usually character dads don't really stick out to me. This one not only stuck out, he deserves a tribute. 

xUoqQRV.png

He finally found the most precious thing in the world to him.
vG8VDGb.gif

He promises her a home. 
m4zOMPo.gif
"Papa will take you home. From now on, I will never leave you behind or let you be alone and helpless."

He takes her hand and walks with her every step of the way.
D23rVSM.gif
"Don't be afraid."

He catches her when she falls.
neFrdKM.gif

He encourages her independence.
35iNL6C.gif
"Jin Mi, Papa wants you to practice, not to make Papa proud. While practice is filled with hardship, it can develop you as a person. Papa does not wish Jin Mi to be a sheltered flower."

When people hurt his little girl, he becomes one mad Papa bear.
zUhqDoB.gif

He is sweet: fearing the medicine is too bitter for Jin Mi, he is ready with sweets.
daRp7wz.gif

Despite his own reservations about Xu Feng, he encourages Jin Mi to choose who she loves. Because he loves her enough to respect her choice and happiness.
wKlbOOA.gif
"Be brave and choose. No matter if it is the Fire God or Night God, Papa supports you. Only if you are truly happy."

He is there to chase away the bad dreams.
3wVhISs.gif
"Silly child...come."
"Thank you Papa."
"Don't cry."

RIP, Water God Luo Lin - best Papa in all the 6 realms. 
8xMKjoI.gif

KnBMj2l.png

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Original screenwriter came out to defend herself and her script which was changed by producers. Somehow the script got leaked online and it had much more otp development and XF had all his original lines. There was not so much focus on RY or the demon princess all of that was added. 

The original script contract was for 36 episodes. The rest was added and changed without the writers consent. 

Sad that stuff like this happen, apparently the script was so much better and it was original to the novel. The first episodes or so kept her original script, no wonder everyone was so happy with the adaptation then. 

Edit: it seems fans were right and from the original script a lot of XF scenes were removed while they added a focus on RY and even gave him some of his lines.

Would be interesting to hear what Jiangsu and other companies who paid for the licenses for this say because they saw a show where ratings going up, and where advertising and other forms of revenue would go up, and then see it go down.... everyone blaming someone for the drop and backlash.... I guess someone’s head will roll after this. Or some producers career would have a black mark. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vintage_chutzpah said:

How are the ratings in China so far? Which dramas are competing with this?

It's actually doing better than other dramas airing alongside it according to csm52. But the ratings did dipped lower than before. I am fine as long as it's still above 1%. We were close to dropping it in one of the recent episode though.

8/22 - 1.508

8/23 - 1.273

8/24 - 1.168

8/25 - 1.051

8/26 - 1.321

https://wx2.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fujf3a0ng9j20wr0q3wgh.jpg  https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fukkqwwfy8j20wr0q30up.jpg  https://wx1.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1s7yzqoj20wr0q3wgg.jpg  https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1vxemmxj20wr0p2mz1.jpg  https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1zpjdnij20wr0p2dhp.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

So 24 filler episodes. Shall I guess and say episodes 20-44? I actually loved the mortal realm story line and personally found episode 28; 37-44 the difficult episodes to watch. In any case, I hope those were the fillers, because it would allow the remaining episodes to stick closer to the original script. 

This time next week, we will be saying goodbye to this drama. I feel both relieved and sad about that. 

As for this week, deliberating whether I should stay away from Soompi or not...ignorance is bliss. I want to be clueless and watch it for what it is. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thehumantree said:

It's actually doing better than other dramas airing alongside it according to csm52. But the ratings did dipped lower than before. I am fine as long as it's still above 1%. We were close to dropping it in one of the recent episode though.

8/22 - 1.508

8/23 - 1.273

8/24 - 1.168

8/25 - 1.051

8/26 - 1.321

https://wx2.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fujf3a0ng9j20wr0q3wgh.jpg https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fukkqwwfy8j20wr0q30up.jpg https://wx1.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1s7yzqoj20wr0q3wgg.jpg https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1vxemmxj20wr0p2mz1.jpg https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1zpjdnij20wr0p2dhp.jpg

That's great! I'm one of those who still prefer the novel. However disappointed I am in some points of the adaptation, I'm still continuing to watch. I've waited for such a long time to get this novel to be fleshed out. The acting is top-notch, as well.

• Like 2

yeah ratings dropped and douban score dropped 0.4 in less than a week. It should still end up with an average above 1% but it is not longer going to be that high.

Edit: If anyone wants to this douban group is looking at changes. I personally think it is pointless since we will never see it. https://www.douban.com/group/topic/123028598/

2 hours ago, zsandevm said:

Would be interesting to hear what Jiangsu and other companies who paid for the licenses for this say because they saw a show where ratings going up, and where advertising and other forms of revenue would go up, and then see it go down.... everyone blaming someone for the drop and backlash.... I guess someone’s head will roll after this. Or some producers career would have a black mark. 

I am glad the screenwriter came out to defend her work bc she was going to get the black mark on her work when it wasn't her fault. Production and the second set of screenwriters are getting all the blame on this. I dont see anyone being happy if they see that second screenwriter's name working on a project they like. Jiangsu is probably not happy, but their complaints would be against the production team. Still the drama did better than other dramas just the potential was for much more. Fans at first thought this was going to be a classic and then everything just hit the fan.

Also, I am glad that fans are standing up against all these bad practices bc if we let production teams get away with stuff like this we will end up with dramas that have 80 episodes where 50 of those are just fillers about side characters. Back in the day dramas had like 30-40 episodes now you have 50-70 with fillers. You have to try and stop practices like this by using backlash. Other production teams will think twice before doing something similar. Also, thanks to this info came out on other dramas doing similar things and I think there is more awareness regarding this issue and hopefully it will help stop it. It is not only unfair to viewers and book fans but also to actors who get cast in these projects. They change the script on them after they start shooting and there is nothing they can do about it, but the drama's performance and their work on the drama will follow them. It is also unfair on the first team of screenwriters, they work hard on a story just to have it changed without consulting them and then their name gets dragged. 

55 minutes ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

So 24 filler episodes. Shall I guess and say episodes 20-44? I actually loved the mortal realm story line and personally found episode 28; 37-44 the difficult episodes to watch. In any case, I hope those were the fillers, because it would allow the remaining episodes to stick closer to the original script. 

This time next week, we will be saying goodbye to this drama. I feel both relieved and sad about that. 

As for this week, deliberating whether I should stay away from Soompi or not...ignorance is bliss. I want to be clueless and watch it for what it is. 

The mortal realm was actually on the original script and by what fans are saying it was better and sweeter in the original. The additions were the story lines regarding the demon princess and RY during the mortal realm part and afterwards. Also probably everything after that was changed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, gleek49 said:

I think book readers are being way to damn dramatic there are 2 male leads in this drama one had 30 episodes focused around him or did you guys just decide to forget that.

Compare this adaption with any other show like Princess Agents,Fuyao its wayyyyyyyyyyy more loyal to the book yet still complaining this hard.

I understand why you guys are frustrated but you would rather focus on the negative's than the positives which is nearly everything from the novel is adapted.. 

9 hours ago, paperwishes said:

This is the first drama I've watched (although I heard Princess agent rogue was kinda like this) where the 2nd male lead has so much Inner monologues/flashbacks/motives/Close-ups :ph34r: and not in a good way. This is what I call, over-bloating character development; too much brute forcing and trying to tell the audience how they should feel about a character - this is why Night receives so much hate as a character.

Episode 46 sums it up. 

Maybe if I was a fan of the way the 2nd male lead is being written, I would have enjoy the flow of the show more. :sweatingbullets: My usual 2nd male lead syndrome just didn't kick in. I just couldn't take how hypocrite Night is in the drama. Especially in episode 46 when Night said, "JM is innocent, why did you drag her into this" @ FH's mom. :ph34r:

Honestly, I feel bad for Leo because he's getting so much hate for the way a character is being written.

This mess is just out of hand because there are people hating on the actors themselves. Actors did the best with what's given to them and should never have been the one taking the blame. 

I loved the second lead in Princess Agents and that was not the issue with that drama the big issue for that drama was drastic changes and bad ending where they didnt even adapt the whole book only like 60%. 

Haters are always louder then people who like a show as this thread is proving you guys said live tv rating's were falling yet it does not really show that.

8 hours ago, vintage_chutzpah said:

How are the ratings in China so far? Which dramas are competing with this?

Its latest episodes got 1.15 on TV

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thehumantree said:

8/22 - 1.508

8/23 - 1.273

8/24 - 1.168

8/25 - 1.051

8/26 - 1.321

https://wx2.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fujf3a0ng9j20wr0q3wgh.jpg https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fukkqwwfy8j20wr0q30up.jpg https://wx1.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1s7yzqoj20wr0q3wgg.jpg https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1vxemmxj20wr0p2mz1.jpg https://wx4.sinaimg.cn/large/9d12e1fagy1fuo1zpjdnij20wr0p2dhp.jpg

You should use National average over cities but w/e 

63 episodes?!  :huh:

Edit:

7.2 still a good rating for this type of show

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wotad said:

7.2 still a good rating for this type of show

Yes, I agree it's still a good rating for these shows/dramas.

It's giving us a huge drop of lots of misunderstanding, but today's episodes I'm glad they went straight ahead to JM realizing that she loves Phoenix and she's not beating around the bush trying to understand what love is or what voodoo spell was put on her. 

8 hours ago, visiopeia said:

i saw the preview of ep 47 - 48 ,

Reveal hidden contents

it means the Xu Feng is not totally vanished.. and currently rescued by the bird princess (forgot her name and her clan) ? Now i wonder why Runyu still want to destroy Xu Feng ????!!! I still don't get it !!!! He already the King.. and he already has Jin Mi...!!!

Well, from my understanding is Night believes that if Phoenix is still around, he's not going to have everything, that Phoenix will return and take back what was his, which is JM and fight against Night for his wrongdoings. That's why Night is going around trying to find out if Phoenix is alive and if he is, someone is hiding him. Pretty much it's just a battle between two brothers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I think book readers are being way to damn dramatic there are 2 male leads in this drama one had 30 episodes focused around him or did you guys just decide to forget that.

Compare this adaption with any other show like Princess Agents,Fuyao its wayyyyyyyyyyy more loyal to the book yet still complaining this hard.

I understand why you guys are frustrated but you would rather focus on the negative's than the positives which is nearly everything from the novel is adapted.. 

Yes, we are being dramatic. Because we love Phoenix's character so much, we cannot stand this kind of injustice, alright? The drama not only spent 30 episodes focused around the second male lead, but it also neglected AND sacrificed the male lead's development along with it! As I already explained in my post, they went as far as STEALING Phoenix's actions and lines and giving it to Night! That's not staying faithful to the book! They might stick to the events in the plot, but they twisted the characters to the point of unrecognizable. And we're supposed to thank them for it?

Yes, the douban score and ratings are considered better than other dramas, but they could have been better, not getting worse as the drama progresses. HSALF could have been one of the classics like 3L3W, but the author and the production team shoot themselves in the foot and ruin that chance. This affects everyone involving in the drama, it hurts all 3 actors reputation and leaves a bad taste in the audience's mouth. At least Princess Agents and Fuyao didn't end up in a mess like this.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Yes, we are being dramatic. Because we love Phoenix's character so much, we cannot stand this kind of injustice, alright? The drama not only spent 30 episode focuses around the second male lead, but it also neglected AND sacrificed the male lead's development along with it! As I already explained in my post, they went as far as STEALING Phoenix's actions and lines and giving it to Night! That's not staying faithful to the book! They might stick to the events in the plot, but they twisted the characters to the point of unrecognizable. And we're supposed to thank them for it?

Yes, the douban score and ratings are considered better than other dramas, but they could have been better, not getting worse as the drama progresses. HSALF could have been one of the classics like 3L3W, but the author and the production team shoot themselves in the foot and ruin that chance. This affects everyone involving in the drama, it hurts all 3 actors reputation and leaves a bad taste in the audience's mouth. At least Princess Agents and Fuyao didn't end up in a mess like this.

exactly my sentiments. i don't know if you've guys read "crazy rich asians" and watched the movie already. they changed a lot and cut so much from the novel but nobody cared because the movie was well-executed that everything just fell in seamlessly. 

i'm happy that they fleshed out one of my fave c-novel but the production team didn't give the viewers any justice to the soul of the story. it's supposed to be about the OTP and not if Run Yu's ever going to get redeemed or not with his me against the world storyline.

• Like 2

I am a lover of loyal minor characters as Liao Yuan and i miss him. He is one of the reason that i'am pissed. Our Phoenix lost his loyal second and friend just died tragically...

But i am curious about the man whose gave a totem of his word. How could Liao Yuan just die and never ask for the favour that he earned.  The scene seemed meanful. Before watching him die, i was sure that he would be instrumental in some way at bringing back XF.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Araminta Jouana said:

I am a lover of loyal minor characters as Liao Yuan and i miss him. He is one of the reason that i'am pissed. Our Phoenix lost his loyal second and friend just died tragically...

But i am curious about the man whose gave a totem of his word. How could Liao Yuan just die and never ask for the favour that he earned.  The scene seemed meanful. Before watching him die, i was sure that he would be instrumental in some way at bringing back XF. 

I know right?? Honestly the most heartbreaking part of the wedding scene...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Yes, we are being dramatic. Because we love Phoenix's character so much, we cannot stand this kind of injustice, alright? The drama not only spent 30 episodes focused around the second male lead, but it also neglected AND sacrificed the male lead's development along with it! As I already explained in my post, they went as far as STEALING Phoenix's actions and lines and giving it to Night! That's not staying faithful to the book! They might stick to the events in the plot, but they twisted the characters to the point of unrecognizable. And we're supposed to thank them for it?

If you love his character so much you have the novel?

From what people have said the Novel has 3 main characters and is only shown through JM point of view it makes sense for the show to be fleshed out and you are complaining about one damn character changing and a few lines being switched when everything else has been adapted well?

If you dont like what the show is doing stop watching or go read the book more and the show is rated higher then 10 miles at the moment and as much as i like heavy sweetness ash no show will get near 10 miles in terms of impact. 

Princess Agents ended up in a worse mess are you kidding me and from like 41 onwards fuyao was hated by loads of people .

Fuyao changed literally the whole show it was nothing like the book. 

Listen i understand why you are mad but if were talking book to show adaptions its still one of the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2