[Drama 2017-2018] My Golden Life, 황금빛 내인생

meechuttso

@baduy, Thank you for your translations and great insights!  

I am starting to get upset with JS/ES’ character.  I understand she’s hurt and angry, but she is still being childish and in her “It’s all about me” stage.  After reading your translation about her conversation with DK regarding the moment JA found out she wasn’t ES, it looks as though JS tuned him out.  All she could hear was that JA told DK, and not her, JS.  She didn’t want to hear anything more, because all that mattered to her was that JA didn’t trust her enough to tell HER.  Sigh.....so immature!!!!! Frustrating!  When is this woman going to snap out of it, for heaven’s sake!

I agree with you, I think JA didn’t catch that bus.  Don’t you love how they pick the right scenes for the preview to get you wondering????  Keeps you wanting MORE! Lol

DK is going through some major angst right now.  Totally regretting his harsh treatment of JA, remembering what conversations transpired between them regarding the BIG SECRET! He is TOTALLY OBSESSED with her now!  I can just imagine when he sees her, he’s going to run over to her and start screaming at her about how much she made him worry, just like he did when she burned her hand at the Anniversary event.  He was obsessed with her then, it’s worse now that he can’t see her/doesn’t know where she is!!!  

I love Hyuk, he’s such a sensitive guy.  Wishing that this time the second lead wins the girl!  

Even if I didn’t know what he was saying, I loved that scene between JH and MJ! That woman, she’s needs to hear from all of her children what a horrible person and mother she is!!!! What kind of person puts their child through that because of greed? 

I still want to know, too, who sent that letter?  I also am suspicious of Secretary Min.  The actress is doing a good job of making me wonder about her.  She has these expressions that the camera focuses on that helps us to think that! Lol

It’s now obvious that the kidnappers didn’t plan to kidnap ES, it happened because of the circumstances.  But how did the woman know that she was with the Seo family all that time?  I hope all of these questions will be answered.  If MH’s sister is behind this, it will be too creepy. Although I am a kdramas lover, I find the avarice extremely hard to stomach.  The stories usually have characters go to extremes because of their avarice!  

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s episode, have been missing JA!  The past three episodes were mostly about the reactions to her absence, watching the fallout.  The angst each character went through because of the revelation and her absence.  I am so immersed in this story, am just fascinated with this writer!  She weaves a good story, I eagerly await each new episode!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thanks for explaining DK-JS conversation @baduy. Choi parents need to start treating her the way they treated JA, constrictions on everything even though she will retaliate in the beginning unlike JA but she needs to know JA wasn’t having fun in that house as she assumed.Going through tough time will make her realize why JA went through.Maybe then she will loose her anger a bit and start seeing things more clearly. This show makes me have sleepless night on Friday lol. JA hwaiting :-*

I have posted in a long time.  But after watching this episode and thinking for some time, I can see writer taking several different routes.  Forewarned, these are my thoughts and I could be completely wrong.

I can see JA going back as it is suggested in the preview.  In addition, I can see the test result coming in one or two ways , but wouldn't be interesting if JS sees the result somehow and finds out that the result is negative and hides it from the choi family and/or they find out later and tries to look for JA.  Meanwhile she is hiding from everyone when she returns and gets close to Hyuk.   As a result, JS also gets jealous when by chance she sees JA and decide to not to tell anyone.   

I like the complicate storyline of this drama so far, that makes the viewers seems unable to hate any character to a degree.  

@titania1000 I've cut her slacks so far because she has been overwhelmed. But there's a strong double standard in Ji Soo's mindset. Its almost sinful that Ji An didn't tell her the truth right away but she can assume the worst about Ji An's character. It took her one second to jump to the conclusion that Ji An's a money hungry opportunist, let's not even go to the epic unjustified slap. I've been ignoring her behavior because she is hurt. But somebody already said that she never asked Ji An if she was well. Or a simple 'How are you, are you alright?' So, unless she grows up a bit, I don't see how I can warm up to her. She also knows she has crossed a line with Ji An and its not going to be easily fixed. She can live with that. Today I felt extremely irritated by her. That's all.

On 18/11/2017 at 7:59 AM, gutibear said:

I think she did mention DK. It’s the last name she said before she lost consciousness. I remember she said sorry to papa and mama choi, then to DK ‘oppa’.

Since the record is getting a bit confused here, it might be a good idea to be clear about her "last words" in this phase of her life, because the writer has crafted them, and their sequencing, very carefully.

1 hour ago, Nymeria289 said:

@titania1000 I've cut her slacks so far because she has been overwhelmed. But there's a strong double standard in Ji Soo's mindset. Its almost sinful that Ji An didn't tell her the truth right away but she can assume the worst about Ji An's character. It took her one second to jump to the conclusion that Ji An's a money hungry opportunist, let's not even go to the epic unjustified slap. I've been ignoring her behavior because she is hurt. But somebody already said that she never asked Ji An if she was well. Or a simple 'How are you, are you alright?' So, unless she grows up a bit, I don't see how I can warm up to her. She also knows she has crossed a line with Ji An and its not going to be easily fixed. She can live with that. Today I felt extremely irritated by her. That's all.

Exactly !

I do really know how JS feels about that JA didn't inform her she's not ES.I felt like that before but then I was just 18 and didn't understand it's for my sake! But JS is 28 or maybe 29 how could she be so immature?

She always asked JA to help her without considering how her eunni is doing.like when Ja was kicked out of company and she was so depressed but Js was full of herself ! :| asking JA what to do about hyuk ! :|

she's so immature...doesn't know how other feel and even don't care.

I'm sure after seo'a papa shout on JS she will cut off whole her connections and live with choi's forever ! :| she has never been punished so it's obvious this action will make her so mad.(she was so shocked about seo's dady reaction)

After all I wish writer-nim let JA cry and shout...she so full but can't show it...so that's why she looks dead.

She needs someone to let her cry or maybe make her cry ! she's in a shock that's why she needs to cry and shout.That would be a very sad scene but I'm seeking for it !

And I'm so mad about DK ! :| He was so harsh on JA even though she was a victim like JS !

I was on his side but I think now It's better for JA to be with hyuk and not DK.

I don't want to see her being tortured again because of DK love ! that's all.

2 hours ago, noyha29 said:

In addition, I can see the test result coming in one or two ways , but wouldn't be interesting if JS sees the result somehow and finds out that the result is negative and hides it from the choi family and/or they find out later and tries to look for JA. 

I wish this was right but we know that JS is reall ES.she even remembered that bird cage,there's no more doubt about real ES .:((Ahhh)

5 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Suicide isn't something trivial. For once, I'd like the issue addressed with the proper sincerity and gravity it deserves. I hope Hyuk gets her back and gets her to see a psychiatrist first and informs her near and dear ones. 

You are right about that.  Suicide should be taken very seriously.  I hope Hyuk will stay with her and help her heal.  He has experienced violence of a different kind with his sister.  You cannot push such people.  You just have to wait it out and let them come to you.  Be watchful like the manager.  

Getting a psychiatrist is of no use if Jian does not want to do it or go and speak.  She needs TLC now.  I hope others get word of her physical and mental state of mind and leave her alone.  I wish the writer would be kind enough to send her far away from this toxic environment.  

Ep 24 Text preview

After Tae Su has spent over a week trying in vain to find the whereabouts of Ji An, he seeks out Ji Su, but because it looks to her as though the only one he's thinking about is Ji An, that only makes Ji Su vastly more upset than before.

Myeong Hui dislikes absolutely everything about Ji Su, but Jae Seong advises her to come to terms with reality.

Though Hyeok has assured him Ji An is perfectly safe, Do Gyeong can't stop worrying and finally goes running to find her whereabouts himself

tumblr_ozmqu13IIb1valxs7o1_500.gif tumblr_ozmqu13IIb1valxs7o2_500.gif tumblr_ozmqu13IIb1valxs7o3_500.gif tumblr_ozmqu13IIb1valxs7o4_500.gif tumblr_ozmqu13IIb1valxs7o5_500.gif

I will never be able to munch on seaweed without tearing up, ever again. Click on the middle one for larger view, her slouching shoulders, her listlessly swinging arms. :cry: By the way, she should go back to art school - she lacks the coarse motor control for this type of manual labor, and is too slow. :blink: And I didn't make separate ones of Hyuk tearing up while listening to the old man, but LTH he did a fine job there. More importantly, Hyuk's is definitely a guardian angel, vitamin (and much more) character - not going home at all until he can be assured of her safety, a true friend that everyone needs, who's scoring so many points in our hearts now, :love: while people are starting to run out of patience with Ji-Soo. Perhap the writer is not so fine-grained when she chooses the various characters' dualistic responses to their upturned situations, to make certain points about her own views on dirt-spoon, gold-spoon more obvious. There is so much there in this episode to get us going for another sleepless week of opining into triple digit pages for all of us. :expressionless:

@baduy. Wow thanks for the explanations regarding the apologies. I heard it but didn't realize the implications. I haven't really read the posts about it to know what it means but just find explanations about the language used absolutely fascinating. For this drama but then also for real life. I never use banmal with Koreans and I appreciate being shown why things are tbis or that. Because frankly, unless I hit a teacher; a native speaker doesn't really know how to explain words usage really well.

Also. It's amazing my part to see how meticulous the writer is. For this and other scenes. Because it is reassuring as a viewer. I hate slapdash of flashy writing. So far, most of her scenes tie in and she is escalating emotions appropriately. It is good that I don't get emotionally jarred out of the moment in this series. It is episode 23 now and we are still trotting along to whatever destination she has planned.

I feel like a lot of people are missing that JS is upset and rightfully so. We really don't know what happened to her after she was kidnapped before the SEO family adopted her. The DNA test will come back positive, her mother is looking for something to make her feel less guilty and it isn't going to work and she will be forced to confront your mistake. JS is hurt because anytime someone takes to her especially from the SEO family the first thing they mention is JA. She grew up with this family thinking these people were her parents and siblings and all of sudden it feels like they don't care about her. She's upset with JA because she trusted her more then anyone and she feels JA didn't trust her enough to tell her the truth.

I am ready for JS to be more mature and bring the Choi family back down to earth and for them to realize status and people's envy is not everything.

JA will probably come back home, and be caught in a love triangle of sorts (although i believe the set up is her and DK and JS/SH).

That was a nice episode. Not too heavy, and with decent development. Also more Ji An!

I liked Ji Ho putting his mom in her place. Even to this point, she's still feeling sorry for herself. She keeps asking why she should bother living, why no one understands her, how her kids have turned on her, but it just shows she remains selfish until the end. She brought this upon herself and she was warned about it also. I have no sympathy for her.

Ji Soo is being too childish right now. I would've thought Do Kyung's words would've helped ease the misunderstanding, but she's certainly consistent with what we've seen before. Even in the face of reason, she very much clings to her own feelings above all else. It's just really weird to me how she makes the leap to Ji An not thinking of her as her sister, despite the fact that Do Kyung told her exactly why she didn't tell her.

I get feeling disappointed about your sister not trusting you. I don't get being so childish over it to the point where you're making such large assumptions about her even when someone clarifies the matter with you. You could tell even Do Kyung was surprised and that's no doubt because of how he assumed their relationship was based on Ji Soo's own words to him. I still like Ji Soo, but maybe it's time to get that head out of your rear end a little. It's one thing when you don't know the facts, it's another when you do, but still act unreasonable.

Of course this will all change when she learns the extent of her sister's pain. Right now, Ji Soo isn't malicious. She's basically throwing a huge temper tantrum because that's what she used to do. She's still good at heart, just immature. She's going to come around eventually, and I assume it will be when she learns her sister tried to kill herself.

Hyuk needs to let Ji An's family know. Ideally, he needs to let Ji Ho or Ji Tae know since they seem to care a lot for Ji An and aren't directly involved with what the parents did. Considering Ji An's parents put her in this mess, getting them directly involved probably isn't the best idea, but letting them know isn't a bad thing as long as they don't interfere. Suicide is a very serious issue, and it's clear from the old man's words that he's afraid Ji An is going to attempt it again if she's not kept distracted. Which is why he has her working and is trying to keep her constantly busy.

The only problem is Hyuk doesn't know what's going on! He could easily mishandle the situation without it being his intention because there is a cobweb of issues here that he simply doesn't know about. Fortunately, he seems to be taking a smart course at the moment by keeping a close eye on Ji An whilst figuring out what to do next.

Strangely enough, it seems the one person who could probably help Ji An is Do Kyung. She clearly seemed to have him on her mind when she sent him those pictures, and I think she wanted to be able to lean on him before that. But he's someone who Hyuk should logically be wary of. You're going to think of her family first, and not someone who you recently saw settling an accident dispute with her. Again, Hyuk does not have all the necessary information so he's in a predicament as to how to handle this all.

I get a bad feeling Ji An is going to trick Hyuk in the next episode and end up attempting something worse. I hope that's not the case, but the old man's words were said for a reason. This writer seems to follow up on everything she lays down, and those man's words of Ji An being lifeless and needing a distraction were warning signs.

Fortunately, it seems Do Kyung is going to attempt to track down Ji An from the preview so maybe he'll reach her in the next episode. And this could then potentially mark the beginning of her recovery. She just needs someone to help her who understands what's happened and is willing to be selfless for her. Giving her some assurance that her family and sister's lives aren't ruined would also go a long way since Ji An obviously cares a lot about them.

2 hours ago, jiji_unni said:

Exactly !

I do really know how JS feels about that JA didn't inform her she's not ES.I felt like that before but then I was just 18 and didn't understand it's for my sake! But JS is 28 or maybe 29 how could she be so immature?

She always asked JA to help her without considering how her eunni is doing.like when Ja was kicked out of company and she was so depressed but Js was full of herself ! :| asking JA what to do about hyuk ! :|

she's so immature...doesn't know how other feel and even don't care.

I'm sure after seo'a papa shout on JS she will cut off whole her connections and live with choi's forever ! :| she has never been punished so it's obvious this action will make her so mad.(she was so shocked about seo's dady reaction)

After all I wish writer-nim let JA cry and shout...she so full but can't show it...so that's why she looks dead.

She needs someone to let her cry or maybe make her cry ! she's in a shock that's why she needs to cry and shout.That would be a very sad scene but I'm seeking for it !

And I'm so mad about DK ! :| He was so harsh on JA even though she was a victim like JS !

I was on his side but I think now It's better for JA to be with hyuk and not DK.

I don't want to see her being tortured again because of DK love ! that's all.

I wish this was right but we know that JS is reall ES.she even remembered that bird cage,there's no more doubt about real ES .:((Ahhh)

You are right.   I just saw it again and she does reminder the birdcage.

33 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

unless I hit a teacher; a native speaker doesn't really know how to explain words usage

I was tempted to remark that violence will get you nowhere, especially with Korean teachers :grin: but I know what you mean,

1 hour ago, goldenstyle said:

Suicide is a very serious issue, and it's clear from the old man's words that he's afraid Ji An is going to attempt it again if she's not kept distracted. Which is why he has her working and is trying to keep her constantly busy.

Sorry, are you seeing that word distracted from some translation? I think 'occupied' is more acceptable nuance?

I get a bad feeling Ji An is going to trick Hyuk in the next episode and end up attempting something worse. I hope that's not the case, but the old man's words were said for a reason. This writer seems to follow up on everything she lays down, and those man's words of Ji An being lifeless and needing a distraction were warning signs.

I would have to say I take very different interpretations and predictions for what's ahead. I do not think she is trying to fool Hyuk  when she says, "Let's go, Hyuk."

Fortunately, it seems Do Kyung is going to attempt to track down Ji An from the preview so maybe he'll reach her in the next episode. And this could then potentially mark the beginning of her recovery. She just needs someone to help her who understands what's happened and is willing to be selfless for her. Giving her some assurance that her family and sister's lives aren't ruined would also go a long way since Ji An obviously cares a lot about them.

Again, I hate to be disagreeing, but I am pretty sure of this other interpretation of the writer's intent. Hyuk is doing everything right, watching over her and keeping potential pain away from her, and he's qualified to do so because he has never harmed her in thought or in words or deeds. DoKyung, however, by testimony of others and by his own recognition, so far has done her great deal of emotional and psychological harm. His attempt to rectify that willfully by trying to track her down without trusting her friend who is letting him know that she's OK but not wanting his or anyone's contact is actually creeping me out. His using his power to abuse private location data via CC TV which Jianny's own father had no power to view, is bordering on illegal. His secretary tries hard to talk sense into him, but he's acting rashly to soothe his conscience instead of putting her interest or her view point first. This is dangerous for her (he doesn't know she was suicidal, but we, the knowing watchers, know that's dangerous for her). His knowledge of what she may have seen on the night her father was punched by his father is irrelevant to his behaving this way, in my opinion. If anything, that knowledge ought to make him tread more cautiously and exercise more patience. :expressionless:

Nielsen national rating 35% on a Saturday, up 2.7% from previous Saturday record on 11/11.

From http://www.nielsenkorea.co.kr/tv_terrestrial_day.asp?menu=Tit_1&sub_menu=1_1&area=00

If the numbers extrapolate linearly, we should be looking for >40.5% tomorrow?

26 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

Ji An and Hyuk 's interactions were painful to watch.

Of course, she has every right to be lifeless inside like the fishermen worded it (but was he sincere or just pretending to care  because he wanted to keep her working for him?). After her suicide attempt, there's no much to expect from her and nothing to blame her for. That's certain.

I just wish to have been spared from hearing the things she said to Hyuk, who is already badly  hurt by her despair and her suicide attempt, especially after he realized he could do  nothing for her. He really didn't need to find her only to be told that she doesn't care that he found her, that she won't keep her promise to tell him the truth.

The worst being that she obviously run away from him because she didn't want to return, when only few words would have been enough for him to understand and accept it. Or even better, to make him just repeat his words on the phone: that he didn't want her to suffer alone and just wants to be on her side, whatever she wants to do.  

The writer broke their relationship here and after all the build up of last week, i feel very disappointed  

Wow, so different from my take. There was soo much progress in my opinion. Hyuk is supposed to be the friend with unlimited patience, all good and never failing. He's vitamin (not cider yet). That he did nothing to impose his will on her was a huge progress for her recovery also, I think, because it takes that silent patient waiting (of a parent or a sibling) type love for someone this wounded to begin to notice what she does have, at least from one person, which is unconditional. I don't want their 'relationship to move forward', any more than I want CDK and SJA to 'move forward'. I thought you wanted her to take it at her pace, @titania1000 ? For me the writer did not break their relationship at all. Hyuk was perfect, almost too good, but she needs him to be perfectly selfless now, and I do want to hope optimistically that her "Let's go back, Hyuk-a" with the gleam in her eyes by the end of Ep 24 was genuine glimmer of hope for Jianny also, as a result of his actions in Ep 23. To repeat myself, "Friendship triumphs over infatuation" - I'll stick to this.:kiss_wink:

Seo's mum obession with jisoo is kind a disturbing.

If she keeps on being this way, i might really  think her lying and  sending away Jian to the Choi was not for Jian's sake but because she can't bare to lose Jisoo?

On the other hand, Choi mum also keeps on thinking about Jian but she isn't opening up or accepting her long lost daughter who she almost lost twice... tsk tsk tsk. I'm having fun seeing her reactions towards the carefree Jisoo though...

At least DK did explained to JS about JA reason not to tell  her first. But yeah, JS is still angry but i can see she cares for her unnie and her old family.  I can see that they she  will  want to patch things up soon.. praying that Hyuk won't be the cause for her to get unreasonably mad at JA

On 18/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, titania1000 said:

I don't get the craziness going on in the Seo Family: the mother being obsessed with Ji Soo to the point that she went back to see her at the Choi house but barely mentionned the disparition of Ji An

Precisely because she was beginning to  believe she'd never see Ji An again she concluded that it was pointless to keep trying to live a "normal" life, so she decided to turn herself in to the police.

On 18/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, titania1000 said:

If it's not Ji An, it can only be Ji Soo unless someone has swapped the samples and is playing a very dangerous game with her..

Myeong Hui explained her motive for the repeat test to Jae Seong today.

Archived