[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Legend of Fuyao 扶摇

sugarplum892

This show is surprisingly fun and everyone seems to be having so much fun with the genre. LOL. The antics at the Winter Apparel festival was a hoot and Wuji enjoyed himself far more than he should have, barely suppressing his chuckles behind his sleeve. :D The icing of the cake were those women from the inner palace plotting and scheming vey badly. Amateur hour. But Wuji is an inveterate opportunist and he knows how to turn everything into his and Fu Yao's advantage. He was too pleased to see Fu Yao though and even his officials could see that he perked up as soon as she arrived. It really is a pity that he isn't the real king of Taiyuan or anywhere for that matter. He is streets ahead of everyone else. He excels at all the palace theatrics and the best part is that he's having a roaring good time with all of it. Honestly this role feels like it was tailor-made for Ethan... it utilizes all his strengths as an actor and more. His flirtations with the chief consort is just ridiculously good.

There are many things to like about this show but the best thing is that the trajectory of the OTP is clear. Even if Wuji plays the noble idiot momentarily, it's only momentary. On top of that we have an intelligent female lead who catches on quick and begins (with some help) to understand how her man thinks. Sure there are hangers-on along the way but they're not a serious threat to whatever bond they have. I am also rather partial to male leads who not only knows exactly who he wants but isn't shy about articulating it at the earliest opportunity.

I did enjoy the little bit of angst we got when the OTP temporarily went their separate ways but for the timely intervention of Jiang Feng. I imagine from the one MV I saw that the path of true love will probably not run smooth in the usual manner one expects from these sorts of dramas. ;)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Def...Pei Yuan's environment influence her behaviors, personality and attitudes. She is who she is because of her upbringing and family. I believe she is a princess. Forgot exactly where she is from? 

There are two titles for princesses. One is 公主 and the other is 郡主.  The English language doesn't differentiate between the two so when translating the translators refer to both as Princess. 公主 is used to refer to girls born to the Emperor/King whereas 郡主 is a title that an Emperor/King can bestow upon a noble girl. Note that 郡主 is also used to refer girls born from Princes, and would be called 公主 if their father (the price) becomes Emperor.

Pei Yuan is called 郡主 so she isn't a princess of the royal bloodline. Her title is probably bestowed upon her because of the influence/position her family has in the Kingdom.

19 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

That's a good potential ending but in the official mv in one of the OST, there's a scene which starts on 0:53 that may become our ending. 

Hide contents

I hope that’s a strong possibility.  That scene looks beautifully filmed.  

Spoiler

In regards to that Ethan interview about the ending scene I really hope it’s satisfying, especially since he mentioned there are no lines said between them.  It wouldn’t be enough to have them just happily look at each other if we have to endure their tortured dying scenes before that.  

In TMOPB everything that happened from when Yehua died to before he came back was super depressing.  But when they finally reunited and had that really meaningful recount of all the memorable moments he had with BQ really made it perfect.  So I hope Fuyao’s ending will deliver as well because I really hate it when dramas make me have to imagine for myself the rest of the ending lol.

2 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This show is surprisingly fun and everyone seems to be having so much fun with the genre. LOL. The antics at the Winter Apparel festival was a hoot and Wuji enjoyed himself far more than he should have, barely suppressing his chuckles behind his sleeve. :D The icing of the cake were those women from the inner palace plotting and scheming vey badly. Amateur hour. But Wuji is an inveterate opportunist and he knows how to turn everything into his and Fu Yao's advantage. He was too pleased to see Fu Yao though and even his officials could see that he perked up as soon as she arrived. It really is a pity that he isn't the real king of Taiyuan or anywhere for that matter. He is streets ahead of everyone else. He excels at all the palace theatrics and the best part is that he's having a roaring good time with all of it. Honestly this role feels like it was tailor-made for Ethan... it utilizes all his strengths as an actor and more. His flirtations with the chief consort is just ridiculously good.

There are many things to like about this show but the best thing is that the trajectory of the OTP is clear. Even if Wuji plays the noble idiot momentarily, it's only momentary. On top of that we have an intelligent female lead who catches on quick and begins (with some help) to understand how her man thinks. Sure there are hangers-on along the way but they're not a serious threat to whatever bond they have. I am also rather partial to male leads who not only knows exactly who he wants but isn't shy about articulating it at the earliest opportunity.

I did enjoy the little bit of angst we got when the OTP temporarily went their separate ways but for the timely intervention of Jiang Feng. I imagine from the one MV I saw that the path of true love will probably not run smooth in the usual manner one expects from these sorts of dramas. ;)

Spoiler

1. Currently, Wuji is the Crown Prince, the heir to the Emperor's throne. Wuji will become Emperor at one point in the story since there is a scene where he is wearing Emperor-like clothing.

2. None of KR/CN couples have smooth sails. Usually we have the annoying jealous female second lead that harms the relationship and gets away with it until the very end.

Wow... this thread moves crazy quick.

@poptartz It's okay. You don't need to put that bit of information in spoiler tags. ;) It's pretty much public knowledge who the fake XYM really is. Whatever his real identity is, he is still playing king in somebody else's country and not his own.;) 

I've seen my fair share of C dramas in recent years which is why I hesitated taking on this one, not because I'm always allergic to angst or OTP separation or sad endings but because I am tired of watching dramas that end on cliffhangers with no second season in sight. Even though the ending of NiF 2 was okay, it was still hastily put together. But after my experience with several incomplete C dramas, I swore that I wouldn't watch anymore C dramas that are currently airing. Too many disappointments. But I made an exception for Fu Yao more or less because of Ethan, and the story seems interesting enough to warrant the risk.

12 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I've seen my fair share of C dramas in recent years which is why I hesitated taking on this one, not because I'm always allergic to angst or OTP separation or sad endings but because I am tired of watching dramas that end on cliffhangers with no second season in sight. Even though the ending of NiF 2 was okay, it was still hastily put together. But after my experience with several incomplete C dramas, I swore that I wouldn't watch anymore C dramas that are currently airing. Too many disappointments. But I made an exception for Fu Yao more or less because of Ethan, and the story seems interesting enough to warrant the risk

I feel the same way @40somethingahjumma.I find it hard to watch C drama where there are a lot of ANGST bewteen the OTP especially when it is a long drama. I pick theses drama very carefully because alot of them end very sadly. I am willing to accept a sad ending unless it fits the drama like Nirvana In Fire. The ending was perfectly executed and the cast did an outstanding job. It made me cry....  :bawling::bawling: 

11 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Wow... this thread moves crazy quick.

@poptartz It's okay. You don't need to put that bit of information in spoiler tags. ;) It's pretty much public knowledge who the fake XYM really is. Whatever his real identity is, he is still playing king in somebody else's country and not his own.;) 

I've seen my fair share of C dramas in recent years which is why I hesitated taking on this one, not because I'm always allergic to angst or OTP separation or sad endings but because I am tired of watching dramas that end on cliffhangers with no second season in sight. Even though the ending of NiF 2 was okay, it was still hastily put together. But after my experience with several incomplete C dramas, I swore that I wouldn't watch anymore C dramas that are currently airing. Too many disappointments. But I made an exception for Fu Yao more or less because of Ethan, and the story seems interesting enough to warrant the risk.

Yeah, Cdrama this year is quite lacking.

@poptartz 

Spoiler

In one of the BTS video, Ethan mentioned that he got married many times in the drama.

In the novel, he was only married/engaged to FY and not potentially to someone else other than the older sister of FY, who took FY's identity? 

36 minutes ago, lan_lan said:

I hope that’s a strong possibility.  That scene looks beautifully filmed.  

Hide contents

In regards to that Ethan interview about the ending scene I really hope it’s satisfying, especially since he mentioned there are no lines said between them.  It wouldn’t be enough to have them just happily look at each other if we have to endure their tortured dying scenes before that.  

In TMOPB everything that happened from when Yehua died to before he came back was super depressing.  But when they finally reunited and had that really meaningful recount of all the memorable moments he had with BQ really made it perfect.  So I hope Fuyao’s ending will deliver as well because I really hate it when dramas make me have to imagine for myself the rest of the ending lol.

Spoiler

TMOPB does have a good ending. Yang Mi did execute her role well with her desperation and love for Ye Hua. 

I know YM will bring quite a show full of tears (happy or sad) to FY's ending. Her crying scenes are on point! She really knows how to show love/affection to her male leads. 

I'm highly anticipating her intense scenes here. I know she will do great. 

33 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

@poptartz 

Hide contentsIn one of the BTS video, Ethan mentioned that he got married many times in the drama.

In the novel, he was only married/engaged to FY and not potentially to someone else other than the older sister of FY, who took FY's identity? 

The person who translated that for you translated it wrong. Ethan asked if you were to get married too many times in dramas, you wouldn’t be able to get married in real life. He probably is concerned since he probably has gotten married many times when acting.

16 minutes ago, Don Yu said:

Hide contents

That woman is really Fuyao's mom?

Episode 25

Spoiler

No, the woman (Eldest Princess of Xuan Yuan) is currently crazy. She mistakes Fuyao as her child because Fuyao has an object that she gave to her real daughter who she had to abandon unwillingly years ago.

2 hours ago, poptartz said:

People are pointing out that the tournament is similar to Harry Potter, not the entire story. They are probably referring to HP's Goblet of Fire

Okay I see, I guess the most similar part is about how she got into the tournament. It’s because of someone’s else evil plot to make her suffer or worse die.. as for the other parts I guess it’s just like a tournament.. in this case a wuxia tournament which ended with a swordfight..  Well in my opinion it’s not plagiarism .. but I also cannot confidently say that harry potter didn’t inspire the screenwriter of fuyao.. who knows.. 

7 hours ago, poptartz said:

Potential Scenes in the Drama Based on the Music Videos and Trailers and BTS

^^^ reading those blows my mind.

I was always disturbed with the MV scene of Fuyao in her inner clothes and topless Wuji in rain and I was worried something had happened to Fuyao. 

Reading what you shared had kinda assured me in a way.

As for the crazy Fuyao in red and black, I can only hope that is not the ending scene else I will be extremely upset.

I m happy that some of you started this drama because of Ethan too. So i m not alone.

Cant agree more that Ethan absolutely fits the role. He definitely has more than a handsome face and sexy abs to offer. I find it so easily connect to his acting since his taiwanese drama days. Apart of being a hearthrob he is a real joker too.  I love his performance in Fated to love you. Hope he will gain more recognition after this drama. 

Finally watched ep 23 and 24. I must say I was dreading the angst but I was pleasantly surprised. The couple's separation lasts only for a short while and they are brought together by Jiang Feng( did I get the name right? ). I suppose Feng does not know about Fuyao's identity as the girl with the five coloured stone otherwise he wouldnt be so keen on having her near his master?

Anyways, Fuyao is a smart woman who has figured out her man and Wuji is too in love with her to stick to noble idiocy :D. That nonverbal exchange between them at court is just like a married couple. LOL.

The entire court scene was just hilarious. Wuji is miles ahead of his harem of plotters and Fuyao is catching up. I like that.

Till before Fuyao turned up at court, Wuji really looked glum and kept glancing at her seat and then he just perked up on seeing her like a glowing tubelight. LOL. The relationship between him and his Shadow guard is really special as they both care about each other. I remember Wuji wanting to wrap up the doctor's fish for Feng as he liked them in an episode before?

Pei Yuan finally gets what she deserved. I felt kinda bad for the senior. He made poor choices in life, could not develop a backbone against his father and ultimately paid a heavy price. His love for Fuyao was true though. A mentally weak person with a pitiable end because of his bad choices. Sigh. 

I haven't read the novel but the story so far seems to hint that Qi Zhen's daughter will be a source of angst for the brothers. 

Spoiler

I think she will die? I remember a scene in which the doctor is crying with her in his arms. Am I right?

I am really enjoying the drama and reading all your spoiler posts just made me excited. I love the acting put up by the cast and the progression of the lead couple's love story is just fantastic. I really hope there is a happy ending for them in the end.

another big fan here.

i'm loving this series. it's been a while since i've been pulled into a series like this. i've joined this forum just to spazz about legend of fuyao. here are my random thoughts.

1) ethan! i thought he was hot in fated to love you but he's even smokier in this series. i've heard a few anti-fans complain that they'll skip this series because they feel that his face looks kind of sleazy  (like huang xiao ming or feng shaofeng)? i can see where they are coming from, but the dude is charming and hot to me. especially all those smirks and glances he throws at fuyao...i can melt away.

2) yang mi. i've always been a fan. if you read about her history in the industry, she's been blacklisted for being out spoken when she was at the height of her beauty. i'm so glad that she overcame her hardships so she can give us these amazing series. and this is my favorite role of hers to date. i have not seen tmopb yet but....

3) the bantering between the main lead keeps me glued on my seat. it's not even an annoying banter but more witty and mature. i love it and there are not enough scenes of them.

4) the bromance between jiang feng and wuji...too cute. i love that it was jiang feng who reminded wuji of his duty to the kingdom and his father; yet it was also jiang feng who didn't have the heart to let fuyao leave.

5) both of the xuanyuan siblings are hot! i ship them together...qi zhen's daughter...urgh...i wonder why they couldn't find a more attractive actress for that role as it seems her role is relevant and somewhat important to the story.

6) i actually adore the scorpion princess and her obsession with her fifth brother. i cannot wait for him to return her feelings.

7) i dislike the opening theme. maybe because i'm not chinese so i don't understand how significant the lyrics may be, but it's not epic enough for such a fun series. it's quite a snoozefest for me. but the ending theme is spot on.

8) even though this is based on a xianxia novel, i'm glad that it feels more wuxia to me at times. =)

9) i agree that senior yan truly loved fuyao. i'm not sure if he's mentally weak like most claimed as he was pressured from basically every influential person to marry peiyan as his family's reputation and future lied on this relationship. and they couldn't afford to offend qi zhen. he lived with that regret daily and redeemed it with his death. but wuji is hotter and more likable (and powerful).

10) i'm convinced this series will have closure as yang mi's series have always had real endings. i'm also convinced that this series will have a happy ending

11) i wish i waited until this series finished airing  before i started as i'm addicted. now i have to wait three days just to get my fix.

12) i hope this series does well so yang mi can continue to help produce such great and fun series. i would love to see yang mi paired up with ethan again. i also want to see her pair up with hu ge again as cp3 was fun but bad series. if it weren't for yang mi being paired with hu ge, i think i would have quit that series mid way.

13)people complain about how this series plagiarized harry potter. i'm not a die hard harry potter fan, but it never crossed my mind that this was the case when i watched the series.

14) people complain that this series ripped off princess agents; however, both series have the same kung-fu choreographer so go figure. i haven't seen princess agents nor plan to start due to the incomplete ending. can someone kindly post the bath kissing scene from princess agents that people are comparing to fuyao (and saying that fuyao's scenes are sloppier)?

15) i want wuji for myself but truth be told, i'm a weak and sensitive woman so he probably wouldn't even look in my direction.

16) the harem storyline is entertaining. i love how wuji intentionally throws in the richard simmons and spoiled commandery princess (consort of virtue) just to create havoc. i actually find her very beautiful and her character provides some comic relief too.

1 hour ago, Di~ said:

Let’s guess over how many episodes the tianquan arc will unfold. Anyone?

We left 36 episodes to guess.

If Tianquan is next, perhaps a good 12 episodes or slightly more.

Welcome @dramaaddiction! Love your post! 

Side note about Wuji: He's mine yah. :D

@cheeriekwan really? I watched the kdrama version and when I see the Taiwan version.. I got turn off by him and didn't even want to check out the Taiwan version. Now you got me curious.. maybe I should since we are still 2 days away from new episodes. LOL.

10 minutes ago, dramaaddiction said:

another big fan here.

i've loving this series. it's been a while since i've been pulled into a series like this. i've joined this forum just to spazz about legend of fuyao. here are my random thoughts.

1) ethan! i thought he was hot in fated to love you but he's even smokier in this series. i've heard a few anti-fans complain that they'll skip this series because they feel that his face looks kind of sleazy  (like huang xiao ming or feng shaofeng)? i can see where they are coming from, but the dude is charming and hot to me. especially all those smirks and glances he throws at fuyao...i can melt away.

1. I had same feeling for FSF and HXM but never for Ethan. Anyway HXM proved me wrong in Nirvana in Fire 2 recently but still hasnt got pass for FSF. 

I have to admit there are minor loopholes here n there but we just disregard them and enjoy the progression of the story and smoking hot chemistry of the leads. 

Archived