Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

45 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

So has anyone heard about the scandal that Hunan TV created with the last episode? Well Hunan TV has always been notorious for tampering with dramas they broadcast. So they had quite a difficult time last year. They poured their money on many blockbusters but they all eventually failed, until TSoML. TSoML is doing too good, so they tried to squeeze some more value out of it by extending it another few more episodes (not in the original director's cut), making it unnecessarily long and tiring. Now to the last episode they decided to divide it into 2 parts, broadcasting in 2 days. They first aired TSoML's half episode, then they proceeded to air their new drama instead of the later half to push the rating of their new drama. All viewers just kept watching cuz they thought it was the commercials and they were expecting the ending. So that new drama actually has extremely high starting rating but angers everyone. Now there goes the new drama's favoritism along with Hunan TV's reputation.

Hunan is being greedy again.  Why do they ALWAYS do this ?  Why? Why? Tell me WHY??????? :triumph:  When something goes really well, they ruined it. So they thought they would hitch a ride on TSOML success by addiding their new drama did they?  Well, I don't know which drama this is but it sucks.  I was watching avidly last night and I was like WTH.  Where's the ending????????  Ok, then I understood that somehow they stretched it another day.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Angry 3

3 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

So has anyone heard about the scandal that Hunan TV created with the last episode? Well Hunan TV has always been notorious for tampering with dramas they broadcast. So they had quite a difficult time last year. They poured their money on many blockbusters but they all eventually failed, until TSoML. TSoML is doing too good, so they tried to squeeze some more value out of it by extending it another few more episodes (not in the original director's cut), making it unnecessarily long and tiring. Now to the last episode they decided to divide it into 2 parts, broadcasting in 2 days. They first aired TSoML's half episode, then they proceeded to air their new drama instead of the later half to push the rating of their new drama. All viewers just kept watching cuz they thought it was the commercials and they were expecting the ending. So that new drama actually has extremely high starting rating but angers everyone. Now there goes the new drama's favoritism along with Hunan TV's reputation.

Thank you for the information. No wonder the yesterday episode looks odd.

Finally, an answer why Ming Lan behaved oddly after coming out of the Empress chamber and why she scolded Gu Ting Ye for coming back so late when their home was under siege. It because she had learned that it was all a plan. No wonder he asked her whether it had been fun.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Hunan's greed always wins over everything else. It was like this during JOF, PA and now this drama.

I didn't watch JOF....but have read many many complaints about the way they handled it. But I did watch PA...so I did experience some of the same nonsense of Hunan......short filler episodes....rushed ending and holding back the happy ending they filmed to push for 2 season. 

Atleast we get the uncut version on youtube now.....we didn't even get that during the other 2 shows.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, jacquelinetan said:

Thank you for the information. No wonder the yesterday episode looks odd.

Finally, an answer why Ming Lan behaved oddly after coming out of the Empress chamber and why she scolded Gu Ting Ye for coming back so late when their home was under siege. It because she had learned that it was all a plan. No wonder he asked her whether it had been fun.  

GTY made her go through all that and he didn't even bother to tell her himself? If not everything, atleast tell her enough so she could have prepared herself. She had to go begging and groveling to the Empress to find out. The empress took pity on her and told her the truth but her own husband didn't. Did he even think what his wife and his new-born child would go through alone with him in prison?

Now I'm even more mad at the writers.:angry:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

31 minutes ago, dito said:

GTY made her go through all that and he didn't even bother to tell her himself? If not everything, atleast tell her enough so she could have prepared herself. She had to go begging and groveling to the Empress to find out. The empress took pity on her and told her the truth but her own husband didn't. Did he even think what his wife and his new-born child would go through alone with him in prison?

I think the empress telling her was planned, that's why GTY was also not surprised she knows the plan.. So even if she wasn't told, I still support her not being told, truly ML might have gone through a lot and like Empress told her 'if other people can, why can't she?' but even if that didn't happen, I still won't support telling her because more than her pain of fighting for GTY, her knowing an imperial plan, which might fail, which might eventually leads to using people, maybe her too, as scapegoat, so it's better for her to oblivious of the matter, but that's another story entirely too.. So I think I like how it was the empress that told her.... It's more like the empress legally asked her to join the plan.. I'm so excited to watch this.. 

• Like 2

I laughed so hard when SH and Cb pushed out Gu Big Madam maid. lmao CB threw the baby rattler, and SH poked her out with an umbrella. It was so cute but funny lmao.

OKAY MY HEART BROKE! When Rong'er called Minglan mother. Ugh! Too much cuteness. I can tell Minglan was very happy but sad (how ROng'er came to call her so under duress with their home being surrounded) being called Mother by her daughter. 

I love this drama.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, dito said:

I think it's because it had to be believable that's why he did not tell her himself. Plus he was crying and I think some of it, how he was telling her her felt about her etc was real somewhat. Lol. I like the way it ended tbh. I just wish we got to see more of them together as a family. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On the name Yuan Ruo (sorry I haven't figured out how to quote text... :( )Yuan 元 also has connotations of being first, Ruo 若 as mentioned has the idea of "if" or "like" something (there's connotations of a wish )...maybe it's about the parents' aspirations or wish for him that he would be first among equals when he grows up. That he would be outstanding. My command of Chinese isn't great so those with a better command of the language pls correct me if I missed any finer nuances. :)

Edited by sandrilene
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sirry Usly said:

I think it's because it had to be believable that's why he did not tell her himself. Plus he was crying and I think some of it, how he was telling her her felt about her etc was real somewhat. Lol. I like the way it ended tbh. I just wish we got to see more of them together as a family. 

I think there's no way he could tell her. It was a covert operation and he would not be allowed to do so. Moreover it is also for her safety if somehow the plan went awry and ED won, it allows Minglan deniability and she wasn't part of the plot. In fact  it would be even safer if she was officially separated from GTY so ED wouldn't be able to execute or exile her as part of GTY's  family if GTY and the Emperor lost. But ML refused flatly so GTY couldn't push that.  The Empress was forced to tell her because ML was so extreme in her measures for GTY that not telling her could have cost her health and life.

Edited by sandrilene
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

48 minutes ago, doubleicon said:

I laughed so hard when SH and Cb pushed out Gu Big Madam maid. lmao CB threw the baby rattler, and SH poked her out with an umbrella. It was so cute but funny lmao.

OKAY MY HEART BROKE! When Rong'er called Minglan mother. Ugh! Too much cuteness. I can tell Minglan was very happy but sad (how ROng'er came to call her so under duress with their home being surrounded) being called Mother by her daughter. 

I love this drama.

All the child actors wr just adorable.. This is one of my favourite cdrama, congratulations to all casts.. fantastic performances.

Must comment on QH. I have all along admired this man's character.. his feelings of love for ML should be what true "LOVE" is all about. 

8 minutes ago, valerie savage said:

Off Topic,

What is going on with soompi. I can sign into my account. 

Had same problem last nite but all good this morning. Check your email for further instructions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dito said:

That is why Ming Lan first spit at his face and threatened him that if he ever did it again, she will serve him with divorce papers. Anyone noticed that Ming Lan sat outside watching the action like a General.

The Emperor started planting his crop and at full harvest, he had also full control of his reign. He may have been a reluctant candidate for the throne but once he got it, he made sure he did it well. All his arguments at court are for the people of his nation while his Ministers argued over trivial matters on whether how the former Emperor and the Emperor's birth father should be titled as.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Is it a little disappointing that the Zi Yuan Ruo doesn't have a nice meaning. Zi are chosen later in life so shouldn't it be picked carefully?

Well, 元Yuan as a word in names bears many lucky meanings. It may mean origin, foundation, first, beginning, heaven etc. 若Ruo in the context of the Zi may be interpreted in two ways, one is like, similar to, the other obedient to. So the Zi may mean like origin, like first or like heaven, and it may also mean be obedient to heaven, to the origin etc. Considering characterization of QH in the drama, I guess the second interpretation fits more, as he is obedient to his parents, bar his love for ML. And he attaches great importance to conventions and rules so ED uses this to manipulate him for challenging emperor's "inappropriate" proposal. Either way, Yuan Ruo may be seen as a blessing from his parents.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 10:39 AM, minglanfan2 said:

Happy ending is good.What happened to Madam Wang's family?

It looked like Official Wang was one of the guys chained up heading for prison or exile? Old Madame Wang probably got something similar to ED due to her late husband’s merits but the usefulness of the former Imperial Tutor’s merits have now been exhausted. All of the enemies have been taken care of. Even Molan, who has no love from her husband and no children which is one of the worst fates for a main wife (drama gave her punishment for killing the concubines’ babies unlike novel where she kind of got away with it, had kids and was treated kindly by her husband since she was generous with letting him have concubines). 

Love the loyalty and trust between GTY and his General buddies, Prince, and Emperor. Their closeness is always emphasized by the Imperial family’s use of GTY’s nickname Zhonghuai just like CB.

QH finally walking next to his wife and taking her hands instead of walking ahead of her like before. Glad he got a more affectionate ending.

:wub: lots of squeals for ST and XT with their cuteness. And the Shengs are finally a family, still dysfunctional in their own way but now one family instead of competing parts. They need to do an epilogue of all of them with their children, including General Shen and Madame Zhang’s family.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dancingbee said:

Happy Qi Heng's couple :)   Turned out he is blessed with a loving wife and has finally found the true happiness.

IXL8q7K.png

The hidden lovely couple.. So glad they made the characters open up to each other.. QH deserves to be free and happy at heart and his intelligent and smart wife helped him to get that.. Happy ending to the couple :heart:

• Like 4