[Drama 2017] Strongest Deliveryman 최강배달꾼

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts episodes 5 & 6

i like all of the characters. But, i just don't feel the chemistry between Da Nah and KS, although I want to.

Did I miss something?  I thought the gang was going to go after KS's boss chef, but then there was no follow through.

I liked the bonding between Da Nah and JG, but then they part and she goes to KS, but doesn't seem to bond quite the same way.

i guess my favorite character in this is Soon Ae

Da Na is so strong herself, and can beat several men up at a time, I would think she could be a stunt woman or  do exhibition martial arts, instead of deliveries.  

Has  Da Nah's roommate Yeon Ji become a part time hostess? If so,why? Does she need more money for some reason?

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Did I miss something?  I thought the gang was going to go after KS's boss chef, but then there was no follow through.

Yes, you probably blinked during  the very short sequence where the senior of the two gangsters who spotted Dong Su while they were leafletting the local shopkeepers with their loan offers a couple of episodes ago showed up with a different companion he was very deferential to. On the earlier occasion we left him wondering which gang big shot he should reveal Dong Su's whereabouts to,  and in Saturday's episode he showed up again with his gang boss of choice to confirm it was indeed Dong Su that he'd sighted, He asked his long-haired senior whether they should grab Dong Su right there, but the boss said no, they should do this "properly, bringing the boys along." So that's yet to come. I have a strong suspicion that in the nearly 10 mins of run-time Friday's show had to "lose" because of the advertising shortfall, the gangster element would have figured, which would have avoided any impression that that strand had gone away.

In case it isn't clear thanks to the truncation of eps 4 and 5, the reason why the loan sharks are expecting rich pickings in the neighborhood is that they've got wind of the opening of the new franchise, and they anticipate that the local traders will soon have to resort to loan sharks like them to keep their businessses afloat as their customers desert them. We also heard JY's mother telling her assistant to arrange a meeting with the manager of the bank the local traders use. She is obviously planning to cut off their legal credit lines as well as lure their customers away, which will make them even more vulnerable to exploitation by the gangsters. A follow-up sequence in that strand may also have ended up on the cutting-room floor, along with  the sort of wacky comedy parts that were thankfully back again in Saturday's return to full-length runtime.

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Has  Da Nah's roommate Yeon Ji become a part time hostess? If so,why? Does she need more money for some reason?

It looks that way. SMOKING in a prime time major network drama is always a sign of moral degeneration (and of course her remark "It wasn't me that was smoking" doesn't exactly get her off that particular hook.) As for why, well, she apparently wants designer clothes and accessories way beyond the budget of a part-time yoga instructor. But it may also turn out that back in the boondocks she has a fisherman Daddy whose boat got sunk by a shark, two Grannies with different varieties of terminal cancer, and a younger sibling who can't pay his college fees. This is, after all, still a Kdrama, even if a way-above-average quality one.

1 hour ago, baduy said:

We also heard JY's mother telling her assistant to arrange a meeting with the manager of the bank the local traders use. She is obviously planning to cut off their legal credit lines as well as lure their customers away, which will make them even more vulnerable to exploitation by the gangsters.

It suprised me that she plans to buy out Hanyang for a good price.  That seems too compassionate for her.  Will Grandma sell??

tumblr_ouzjebtxoC1w2zf0ho1_540.pngtumblr_ouzjebtxoC1w2zf0ho2_540.png

1 hour ago, 1ouise said:

It suprised me that she plans to buy out Hanyang for a good price.  That seems too compassionate for her.  Will Grandma sell??

I doubt that it's compassion. More like a typically shrewd business move. She's quickly observed that Granny's business is becoming a focal point ot resistance to the Jang company's takeover of the area. She's trying to nip that trend in the bud before it gathers momentum by taking Granny out of the equation. Her whole approach lies in picking off businesses one by one. She has to avoid any attempt to organize group opposition to her schemes.

I'm sure Granny won't sell out, but that will probably be because Kang Su and his delivery troops come to her aid. I think this is how the rise of Kang Su to become the "CEO of a delivery app" as the synopses and character profiles wierdly put it, is going to come about.

This is yet another example of Koreans using English words in their own misundertood senses rather than in what they mean in the language they're supposedly "borrowed" from, rather in the way they use Home Page to mean an entire Web Site, not the Home Page proper. Of course, it is gibberish to call someone the "CEO of an app". Since I very much doubt that Kang Su is going to become a software development entrepreneur, they must mean that he starts and grows an enterprise whose business plan involves using an app to "disrupt", as they say in Silicon Valley, the existing business models of the low-end restaurant market. In other words, the Uber of Korean mass market food delivery. 

Now of course Uber is both an app and a business enterprise. But it's the business enterprise that has a (highly controversial) CEO, not the app,  We had a clue about how that might might be going to work in the way the bikers got granny out of her immediate financial crisis. Her restaurant had never done home deliveries and she lacked the staff, the expertise and the infrastructure to shift in short order from being a drop-in eatery for locals to a delivery-based business drawing on a much broader cachement of potential customers. But that's what Kang Su and his friends enable her to do, though admittedly by covertly "borrowing" the delivery infrastructure of their actual employers (though the presence of the stainless steel bowls generally used for beef-bone soup in their delivery canisters almost gives Kang Su and Da Na away). 

It looks as though Kang Su is going to draw on this experience to bring to Seoul, where generally speaking delivery drivers are employees of specific eateries, a model already found in more and more Western cities where Web-based order-taking and delivery services have come into being which offer a bolt-on service to existing walk-in restaurants who have never been in the delivery market before. Using a combination of conventional websites and dedicated mobile apps, these new startups handle all the advertising, order-taking, payment-collection and delivery involved. They pass the orders, and in due course the payents, minus a commission, to the actual resturants, then dispatch riders to the restaurants who collect the food when it's ready, then deliver it to the customers and collect their payment.

In some cities this has led to a further "disruptive" shift in business models. In the first phase, restaurants that don't want the risk or the hassle of operating their own delivery systems can still access the wider geographical range of customers to which outfits with delivery staff can sell to. But now, an even newer kind of startup catering business is emerging. People fond of or skilled in cooking but who don't have suitable premises or staff resources for serving food as well as cooking it are starting "kitchen only" restaurants with no "shop-front". They enter into an agreement with an on-line delivery service. All the meals they sell are marketed, ordered, and delivered by the delivery company who also handle customer payments: they don't have any facilities of their own apart from food storage and cooking equipment, and since delivery drivers are the only people who need go to their premises they can site them in areas of the city where diners would be reluctant to venture, but property rentals are much lower.  This meets one of the problems of the traders in our drama. It's not just that their customers are drawn away, decreasing their day-on-day sales. When an area goes "up market" through swish developments, so do the rentals next time renewal comes round, and so in some cases so do the business taxes levied by local government.  If they can shift some, or even all, of their turnover on to delivered food, they can survive being priced out of their current neighborhoods and move to cheaper areas without losing most of their customers.

So I think what we're going to see is Kang Su saving small restaurant businesses by providing a new kind of service along these lines. Which isn't going to please the big business establishment one bit.

13 minutes ago, baduy said:

I doubt that it's compassion. More like a typically shrewd business move. She's quickly observed that Granny's business is becoming a focal point of resistance to the Jang company's takeover of the area. She's trying to nip that trend in the bud before it gathers momentum by taking Granny out of the equation. Her whole approach lies in picking off businesses one by one. She has to avoid any attempt to organize group opposition to her schemes.

I'm sure Granny won't sell out, but that will probably be because Kang Su and his delivery troops come to her aid. I think this is how the rise of Kang Su to become the "CEO of a delivery app" as the synopses and character profiles weirdly put it, is going to come about.

So I think what we're going to see is Kang Su saving small restaurant businesses by providing a new kind of service along these lines. Which isn't going to please the big business establishment one bit.

Yes, I see it as a shrewd business move, but I expected her to just crush Grandma.  I don't think of her as compassionate at all.  (She's not helping JG because of her kind nature.)  Buying out Grandma is the quickest way to eliminate her, if she accepts.  But I, like you, predict that this will be the rise of Kang-soo and she won't sell.  

If this business development pits Kang-soo against the woman he learns is his mother, then his "righteousness" will be tested yet again.  The relationships among KS, DA, JG, and JY are already being disrupted.  How will this play out?  Who will live a "good" life?

Chicken Skin and Powdered Sesame Seeds or: More Problems for Subbers

would-be funny lady Sun Ae observing what she deludes herself is horseplay and coy love-talk between two shy lovers at the lunch table, comes out with two remarks in succession.

아요 닭살!
아요 깨소금!

Every Kdrama romcom fan will have often encountered characters exclaiming 닭살! at the sight or sound of something they find "cheesy" or "corny" or, in some contexts "creepy". Its literal sense refers to the the skin of a plucked chicken with bumps where the feathers used to be. In other words Koreans call "chicken bumps" what English speakers call  "goose-bumps" or "getting goose-flesh."  But as so often when we cross between languages, it isn't purely a matter of swapping one bird for another while keeping the exact meaning(s).

True, there's a lot of overlap in this first case. Korean and English speakers alike get chicken bumps / goose bumps if they are exposed to sudden cold, or if they have a fright or a sudden thrill of excitement. But English speakers don't normally get "goosebumps" at the sight of embarrassingly over-demonstrative lovers, whereas observing such behavior is probably the main cause of "chicken bumps" in Koreans. So much so that a very common combination is the expression "닭살 커플", equivalent to a "lovey-dovey pair". And it's that sort of "chicken bumps" Sun Ae says she's experiencing here. So her first exclamation could be translated as "Ooo! Such lovebirds!"

Then she gives a mock shudder, though with a delighted gleam in her eye, and follows up with her second exclamation, 깨소금!!

kilig.png

That means literally "sesame salt", a common seasoning in East Asian countries, found both in the kitchen and on dining tables in shakers like the one we get to see a moment later. It sometimes consists of pure sesame seeds roasted and then ground to a fine powder, but more often ordinary salt is mixed in as well. In either case it is, like, say horseradish, or table salt itself, not something you'd normally choose to spoon down by itself as distinct from judiciously adding it to some dish. Used to express a sensation, as here, the word suggests a feeling like accidentally taking a whole mouthful of undiluted sesame salt.

A translator's troubles don't end with the problem of finding an English expression with approximately the same force, however, because it's also necessary to decide which of two distinct uses of the word is at work. Here, that's not hard, because Sun Ae's body language and voice tone make it clear that she's saying the sight of the pair's antics gives her a "thrill". (This is an example of where it's easier to translate Korean into Tagalog: exclaiming  깨소금! in this sense is rather like saying "kilig!" in comparable circumstances.)

However, although in the sense Sun Ae is using it here, the word amounts to "naughty, but nice!" it is also, maybe more often, found in the expression 깨소금 맛이다!, literally "taste of sesame salt". This is used gloatingly, as more or less the opposite of 다행이다! Whereas people exclaim 다행이다! = "That's a relief / delighted to hear that / thank goodness for that" when they're pleased about a good outcome for someone, they say 깨소금 맛이다! when they're pleased about a bad outcome for someone they think has got their come-uppance. In that sense, it's equivalent to saying "Serves them / you right!"  Plainly that's not how Sun Ae is using it here, but if you watch a lot of subbed Korean movies or shows, you'll encounter places where the subbers have taken the wrong alternative and made the sub clash with the situation or tone of what's being said.

Then in a kind of reversal of Sun Ae's favorite verbal game, where she attaches some outlandish meaning to words that people meant quite differently, Gangster-Chef Dong Su pricks Sun Ae's slightly voyeuristic bubble by slamming down a literal sesame-salt shaker on the table in front of her and saying "Sesame salt? Here you go!".

shaker.png

His remark in itself is easy enough to translate. But since there's no connection whatever in English between sesame salt and her slightly prurient thrill, the actual meaning of his gesture inevitably goes missing.

Thanks @baduy

4 hours ago, baduy said:

He asked his long-haired senior whether they should grab Dong Su right there, but the boss said no, they should do this "properly, bringing the boys along." So that's yet to come. I have a strong suspicion that in the nearly 10 mins of run-time Friday's show had to "lose" because of the advertising shortfall, the gangster element would have figured, which would have avoided any impression that that strand had gone away.

Yes, this is the point when I thought we would see more but the strand seemed to go away. I expected to see more in this episode.

4 hours ago, baduy said:

As for why, well, she apparently wants designer clothes and accessories way beyond the budget of a part-time yoga instructor. But it may also turn out that back in the boondocks she has a fisherman Daddy whose boat got sunk by a shark, two Grannies with different varieties of terminal cancer, and a younger sibling who can't pay his college fees. This is, after all, still a Kdrama, even if a way-above-average quality one.

I appreciate your speculating on what issues she has in her kdrama back story that may cause her to take that road. Da Nah tried to commit suicide when she was overwhelmed trying to pay her family's debt and felt that being a hostess was her only way to earn that kind of money.  But I don't think Yeon Ji is doing this for designer clothes?  When a girl is that gorgeous she can wear a potato sack and look beautiful. She doesn't seem that flip. Anyway I sure hope that is not the reason.

16 hours ago, triplem said:

Darn it....i have a soft spot for this his dimpled face chaebol jerk ...I really hope they don't make him into a bad guy. 

I hope he will get somehow redeemed at the end like.....you know who :wink: 

But right now he is the bad guy, who really doesn't want to be the bad guy. His past actions just caught up and now he tries to make the best out of it. 

I'm sure he will get back on track at one point. But for me personally, I just wish he will fail to get JY as girlfriend.

13 hours ago, jina_bing_bang said:

Great points! I too was totally thinking the same thing of KS re-gifting Dana's gift of the blouse to JY- that would be SO confusing but JiYoon and Dana have never officially met so that will be interesting and also when Kang Soo knows that JY is related to the Jung company because her mom

I like Dana dropping her wisdom and when she is with JG as you mentioned, I do see his layers and see him trying to be the best person he is since that is WHO is- he is trying and though it hasn't been said I see Dana as being the same type of feeling as a first love if you will...but right now he is trying to save himself so maybe not so much a love line...just the look and emotion in his eyes when he asked Dana why she accepts Kang Soo's help and not his just got to me

Also, ohh why do you think Kang Soo starts his own company?

From JG point of view I feel like he sees Dana as the first girl that actually sees him as guy, that trusted him even without asking and that treats him like the person he is behind his chaebol attitude. She is somehow his noona, giving him advice and showing him how to live as a human being. He looks up to her, she is not just someone he wants to date, he has respect towards her. His whole body language changes when he's confronted with her. He wants to impress her. Like you said, it's like his first love, but I think there is more to that aswell. She somehow also raises him and teaches him a few things that he just doesn't know, like a big sister. 

For the marked part. When I first read about the drama on asianwiki.com, in the decription there was a sentence that he drama is about "love and success of a deliveryman who eventually becomes the CEO of a delivery app company." Well I know you have to be be cautious with these texts, but I do like the idea of him creating his own company. And I think his cooking was the first step to do so. :D 

11 hours ago, saanjh sena said:

@Dhakrame to I love JY character 

She is just amazing. :wub:

I hope Oh Jin Gyu not become antagonist..I love him so much..his smile is so sweet..he has sexy voice too..:wub:

I don't like Go Kyung Pyo in this drama,maybe because his hair..and i think till episode 5,he doesn't have chemistry with Dan Ah..I think Dan Ah and Oh Jin Gyu have their chemistry more than KangSoo-Dan Ah..

오늘 저녁 제작사 지담에서 밥차 보내줘서 맛나게 잘 먹었습니당~ 그리고 오늘 낮에는 강수 오빠와 임수정 선배님 덕분에 맛있는 음료수 감사히 잘 먹었습니다^^

Su Bin's caption means

Today I had a delicious dinner from the production catering cart on the site of our shoot. And earlier in the day, thanks to Kang Su Oppa and Im Su Jeong Seonbae, I had a nice drink too, which I was very glad of.

No explanation as to why she appears to have a towel wrapped round her shoulders, though it does look as though it had been raining hard not long previously. But then, this is Korea in August, so getting drenched helps reduce the heat.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:09 PM, maddymappo said:

I appreciate your speculating on what issues she has in her kdrama back story that may cause her to take that road. Da Nah tried to commit suicide when she was overwhelmed trying to pay her family's debt and felt that being a hostess was her only way to earn that kind of money.  But I don't think Yeon Ji is doing this for designer clothes?  When a girl is that gorgeous she can wear a potato sack and look beautiful. She doesn't seem that flip. Anyway I sure hope that is not the reason.

Her character profile might help here:

Choi Yeon Ji (played by Nam Ji Hyeon)

25 years old.

Da Na's friend from her hometown who shares her rooftop pad.
A Yoga instructor with a hot body.
The long-standing goddess of all the neigborhood young men.
Whereas Dana dreams of emigrating, Yeon Ji lacks the courage for that. She can't even speak English [But hey!  can ANYONE in Kdrama-land speak English? Even English-speaking extras often make some very strange noises...]
There's no subject she feels like studying.  Frankly, she's something of an ignoramus. But she wants to escape that rooftop pad and have some hope in life.

Eventually, the temptation of making a lot of money leads her to work on the side as a karaoke bar hostess [though Mr Google Translate thinks she "starts working on a tugboat", which is a side job I guess Dana might approve of more.] That leads to her meeting a young man, and the experiences they secretly share cause love to blossom between them.

When many people are united in achieving a goal, even mountains can be moved. Or at least it seems that way, as the deliverymen work tirelessly to find any evidence that will link Jin-gyu to the street racing. It’s thankless, exhausting work, but at least the deliverymen have nothing to lose — unlike Jin-gyu, whose future may come to an abrupt end if the truth gets out.

=== Read full here: http://www.dramabean...yman-episode-5/

COMMENTS

I love that this show is tackling the real-life public perception of a chaebol’s misuse of power and money. Considering that the reporter knew the street racing would be more newsworthy than the “nut rage incident” makes me think of the trial that’s currently going on with Samsung’s chaebol (who was accused of bribery and corruption in relation to the scandal surrounding ex-president Park Geun-hye). It’s been heralded as a “trial of the century” and people are eager to see how the Samsung chaebol will be punished, because the prosecution is not using a light touch that is normally given to those from rich and powerful families.

That makes me somewhat disappointed to suddenly see Jin-gyu standing in front of the Jung Family restaurant, since the show had a chance to draw a deeper parallel to the real-life trial. But instead, Jin-gyu is freed without punishment, and as much as I love the way he has been showing himself to be conflicted and broken, I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to support him if he walks away scot-free, enjoying the privileges of his socio-economic class.

V7dK3BX.jpg?2

Despite my concern about how the show will handle Jin-gyu’s redemption, one of my favorite moments this episode was Dan-ah saving Jin-gyu like the damsel in distress he appears to be. How often does the woman get to do a wrist-grab and fight off all the baddies to save the guy? It was a fun “turn a trope on its head” moment that I really appreciated, especially since it was clear Dan-ah had one of those “Oh no, I’m not going to save this loser again, am I?” moments. Because of course she will. She’s Dan-ah, and I get the feeling that once her trust is gained, it’s very, very hard to shake it, no matter how big of a mess you are.

Spoiler

So it’s only fair that my other favorite moment of this episode would be Kang-soo forgiving Dan-ah for the way she beat him up because she chose to trust Jin-gyu. It was such a natural, easy, quiet moment, a “Hey, no big deal, I trusted him, too.” I wonder if the difficulty I have in figuring out Kang-soo is because it feels somewhat odd to have a lead that is kind and unconcerned about holding grudges (unless, of course, you’re an unrepentant chaebol who’s hurt one of Kang-soo’s friends). Also, while I don’t mind letting romance remain low-key, it’s also seems somewhat unusual for a lead to not automatically be interested in romance, but would rather help people because it’s the right thing to do.

Or maybe dramaland will surprise us and not give us the love triangle (quadrilateral?) we’re expecting. After all, just because you’re thrown together at work, doesn’t mean you’re Meant To Be. Not that I would blame Dan-ah for starting to melt at the way Kang-soo was uncomplainingly willing to find a way to make sure she earns back the money she lost due to her unexpected hospital and vase replacement bills. The way to a girl’s heart is definitely by helping her achieve her goals. At least we’re finally starting to get to the originally-promised main premise, which is Kang-soo becoming the CEO of a delivery app. While the app itself may not be a reality yet, the fact that he’s opened up his own secret deli restaurant makes me think this plot point can’t be too far away.

On 24/08/2017 at 8:02 AM, triplem said:

@AlexandraReid Thanks for the updates. Out of curiosity I clicked the IG account & discovered the owner is a crew member in many dramas ( including my favourite Tunnel) ...

Ur most welcome, we're meet here again after MXM & Tunnel drama, and im sure that you also watched Save Me Kkkkkk~ :lol:

========

CSB IG

KSH IG

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, triplem said:

i get the vibe that JG wanting to help KS or hoping he Was not in the wrong 

@baduy Are you watching live ? 

Me too.. but then because of what was on the CCTV, I guess....  that has become complicated?

Ha ha.. now his song is being played again during the football game... now do I understand..

Archived