[Drama 2017] Lookout, 파수꾼

0ly40

When will they release the OST that we all are waiting for? I also heard that Key will participate with the OST as well but the drama is already ended and where is his OST lol. 

I am still pissed at the ending but what can I do. Anyway I am grateful to the production for giving us a great drama with great talented actors. Having to see KYK, LSY, Key, KSG, KTH and SDW in one drama is already more than I can ask for. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/11/2017 at 1:10 AM, bedifferent said:

EJ got 5 minutes in episode 30.  We get to know that his dad willingly left the phone and password for him to take.  I'm really glad that he was ready to amend for his mistakes and owed up to his crimes.  He wanted his own son to benefit from it in a way, so that EJ can return to the prosecutor office. 

yes, i'm glad too. and i also loved how EJ now works with rest of Lookout team after the year has passed!

On 7/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, selenette said:

Eun-joong is an even braver man, now. I love seeing his court scene. It's a pity he can only imagine a friendship with Do-han, instead of building a real friendship

i loved seeing his court scene too! and yeah, it's pretty sad, though i think it was a flashback, which showed DH and EJ being kind of frenemy. it makes sense since the beginning of the drama, both of them seem to know each other well, so they could have been somewhat close even before the whole incident. 

SO DID DH ACTUALLY DIE?! :bawling: i think he did. and who's the new hidden antagonist?! is that a foreshadowing of season 2?! pretty please! but i guess that means season 2 will happen without DH if DH is actually dead. if he's dead and season 2 happens, then i hope season 2 focused more on EJ and SJ. 

Lookout: Episodes 29-30

by TeriYaki

Lookout29-30-00376.jpg

True to form, Lookout approaches its finale with an intense pair of episodes that are equal parts suspenseful and heartbreaking. The Lookout team has come a long way together, but their work isn’t quite done yet—their biggest challenge yet may just be a spoiled, psychotic teenager with a frightening smile.

===========

COMMENTS

I think I need a moment to catch my breath. What a way to enter the final week of what has proven to be a consistently well written and acted drama. The level of tension rose throughout these two episodes as they prepared us for what promises to be an intense finale. The hour was peppered with conversations that felt like final goodbyes, and I’m not confident about any of the leads at this juncture.

Parent-child relationships were at the center of these two episodes, both the good and bad kind. It was touching to see Do-han so happy to care for his father, at long last able to acknowledge that he was Lee Shin-hyuk’s son. Eun-joong’s heart must have broken when his father couldn’t admit that he wanted his son to turn over Detective Nam’s phone and password. Suji reached out to her long-suffering mother in what she believed to be a final goodbye. Se-won and Soon-ae found themselves at the center of the most awful game, hoping against hope that they’ll be together again. And finally, there’s Shi-wan, who proved himself to be the most unfilial son ever. As devoted as Do-han is to his father, Shi-wan revealed that he is the complete opposite and has nothing but contempt for both of his parents. It would be more upsetting, but they actually deserve it. Ugh, what a terrible family.

Spoiler

Lookout29-30-00165.jpg

Shi-wan has had far too much sick fun at the expense of others, and it’s finally time for his comeuppance. He’s so twisted that I’m not even sure if all of his deadly intentions have been uncovered yet. Every heartwarming exchange made me fearful for the Lookout team, from Kyung-soo and Bomi’s promise to wait for each other, to Do-han’s confession that he’s ready to pay for his misdeeds. And of course, Suji ended up with a gun aimed right at her, all because Shi-wan’s mother never took responsibility for her monster of a son. Why should Do-han suffer torment because he didn’t save Yoo-na while Shi-wan’s mother continues to insulate her son from punishment time and time again? The person who’s ultimately responsible for Yoo-na’s death is Shi-wan’s mother. Yet again, while she tries to clean up her son’s messes, innocent lives are at risk as Shi-wan plays his deadly game.

Kim Sun-young delivered a powerful performance as Soon-ae unraveled from scene to scene. Her dilemma, to either follow the bidding of a psychotic teenager and kill her friend or allow her daughter to become the casualty of a bomb, is enough to threaten anyone’s sanity. Lee Shi-young matched her intensity as the two mothers worked together to keep another child from Shi-wan’s clutches. But the exchange that ultimately gripped my attention was between Do-han and Shi-wan.

Do-han did his best to bait Shi-wan and discover what he did with Se-won, even though it became all too clear that there’s no way to reason with him. Do-han was rightfully stunned when the realization set in that Shi-wan possesses no humanity whatsoever. Their confrontation in front of the police station became very personal when Shi-wan refused to be brought down the way his father was, and Do-han revealed that he’s equally determined to stop him. Their clash promises to be both terrifying and devastating—it may be that Do-han is the only one who has any hope in stopping Shi-wan, but just what will it cost him?

Spoiler

Lookout29-30-00952.jpg

Read full: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/07/lookout-episodes-29-30/

i wish they had actually finished SiWan's story :expressionless: we don't even know if he survived or not. and we also don't know if his crimes are found out or not. 

furthermore, i wish the drama would have not introduced "hidden antagonist" if it was going to make DH dead or if the drama was going to introduce the unknown antagonist, then i wish DH was shown alive. that way the ending would look more neat.

since season 2 is not confirmed, it makes the ending look messy. that could be our final Lookout ending, which is Very Open Ending that can make some of us frustrated.

2 hours ago, blademan said:

Whoever made this wanted people to cry BUCKETS :tears: 

thanks!! It's Dohan MV in the next vid 

18 hours ago, chingu76 said:

@secretlyforyou that's the only ending I will accept lol.It would've been a 10 show for me if not for the ending. Now it's about 8. @flameonyou I feel you. I totally feel you. I will wait till s2 finish before I dare watch it! lol Besides, no DH, no point!

rite? If there's no Dohan and I still see Siwan creepy smile again, i'd drop it lol. But my point in other side, after all we cried and thought he died like in this MV, he trolled us coming to alive in S2. It's relieving but  not funny man :dissapointed_relieved:, to play the viewers heart like that. 

About the DH + EJ scene after the year, if it' a flashback, then it happened after EJ had framed himself then returned to his duty based on their conversation, which is unlikely since they didn't have much time in that timeline, but it's not impossible. 

I'm keep hoping that DH survived somehow :bawling: I have a wishful thinking that the red circle on the calendar is the day that DH comes back from a jail and they had promised to meet at the church (his sentence being extremely reduced thanks to Hearing witness and brave action during SiWan incident at the end after somehow SiWan's crimes being found out)

Since the drama ended, it seems like everyone are leaving the thread. Sad...:(  T_T

And there is me still coming here because I missed this drama and can't say goodbye yet. Please share if the last OST is released.

Can someone translate the recent news of Kim Young Kwang? I think he mentions he isn't satisfying with the ending like us. I am grateful for your help. Please someone translate for this poor fan who can't read Korean. 

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, I haven't really moved on from this drama, I think. Perhaps because it's not a happy ending for DH, or perhaps I should call him GH now? Even if he had to die, I desperately wanted him to know that ultimately he was loved and forgiven by his team, especially SJ, and his step-brother, the people who mattered so much to him. 

I know that the important thing is for him to be at peace with himself, and by making the ultimate sacrifice, I think we're supposed to infer that he was in the moment of death, feeling his atonement. I also know that while we are birthed from another human being, that we ultimately die alone, it's just a matter of how and when. Still, given that his whole adult life was taken up by revenge, masking his needs and his softer feelings, I wonder how lonely he must have been in the quiet of his mind as he plotted and maneuvered all those years to be able to exact revenge for his father and his step-mother as well since though his father actually killed her, his state of mind was brought on by YSR. And, he was still so young when that happened, and trying to make amends with his step-brother, persistently enough for his step-brother to put him in the hospital with injuries. And, even after that when he was starting his revenge, the only person he could turn to help him was that same step-brother. 

Death is still death, and once he had died, perhaps his soul was able to feel the forgiveness and love, but we don't know about that. We know that when he died, he died still thinking of himself as alone and a sinner who needed to make restitution. 

It weighs on me in unexpected times. Even though I know he's just a drama character, and that KYK, the actor who portrayed him did a marvelous job, and will hopefully have many more roles offered to him. Loved the drama so much right until the final episodes. *sigh*

apologies for side tracking.. 

But does someone know or was it every discussed in this thread.. which is this song which is played at the end of every episode..

it is not part of the 6./7 songs in the oST list

@stroppyse Thank you so much for your help. I am very appreciate it. Here are the links. I am so sorry for bothering your time.

http://m.nocutnews.co.kr/news/4816175

http://nocutnews.co.kr/news/4816176

http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/07/17/2017071702086.html

I think there is more. When I found more links I will post it up. I am so sorry if the links (news) are repeated. If only I can read Korean then it wouldn't be so hard. Again, thank you so much.

@leeemyis I translated three of Kim Young-kwang's interviews (minus the Star Chosun one)

Anyway here they are.

TRANSLATION 1

Nocutnews Interview with "Lookout" Actor Kim Young Kwang
PART 1

An interview with actor Kim Young-kwang was held at a cafe in Gangnam-gu, Seoul on July 13 at 11:00 am. From the beginning of the interview, a question was asked to Kim Young-kwang about what he thought of the ending. He did not know for sure whether he died or not until the 31st and 32nd episodes, and he said, "The dying ending isn't that bad."

The following is excerpts from the interview.

»PLEASE GIVE US A CLOSING COMMENTARY
First, I feel good because I made a good drama. Good director, good cast. I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed it personally and  pleasantly. It will remain in my memory for a long time. I had so much fun shooting with my seniors, the PD, and the writers and would like to continue it.

»THERE ARE MANY COMMENTS ON JANG DO-HAN'S DEATH IN THE FINALE. WHEN DID YOU KNOW WHAT THE ENDING WAS? I LIKED IT.

The moment the second half of the finale was aired. Although it was written on the script, and I read it, "Oh. So you're dead, huh?" I was not sure it was the real ending, so I kept asking the PD just in case he teased me, you know. But later I knew it was true. 

Shooting until the day the finale was aired, I was worried until the end. Some of you would grieve about Do-han's death, and some would be angry. It was important that the death was portrayed [justly], and so was the guilt. But was it more realistic to die in guilt, rather than [to live] in atonement? [I admit] that was a sad ending: Do-han lived a sinful life to take revenge, and then he just died like that. 

»YOU'D WATCHED YOUR FINAL SCENE.
I'm not entirely satisfied, of course. I felt the limits of what I [my character] could do. Can the hero simply die in such a sad death? Too realistic? It feels so real, to the point that the death scene is difficult to get over. Personally, I'd like [Do-han] to have more time, to learn the meaning of atonement. Still, the dying scene itself wasn't so badly done. I believe in the director who edited it.

»ANOTHER QUESTION. IS YOON SI-WAN DEAD?

I don't know. That bad one. (laughter) 

I [as Jang Do-han] was so upset when we filmed the scenes, because he thwarted us here and there. After the hearing, Do-han reaped the results of his work, but then another incident happened and he was defeated, and couldn't do anything.  

»"THE LOOKOUTS" WAS A KIND OF ORGANIZATION FOR THE PURPOSE OF CARRYING OUT JUSTICE, BUT THERE WAS NO JUSTICE IN THE END.
I worked hard towards it (as I should have). (laughs)

»YOU SEEMED TO BE SO IMMERSED IN YOUR CHARACTER.
I felt lonely when I watched the scene when the lookouts talked to one another. As soon as Soo-ji wondered with Bo-mi (Kim Seul-gi) and Kyung-soo (SHINee Key), "Did the leader betray us?" That was the moment. I felt lonely, and I thought Do-han must've seemed like a villain, so much that he was hated even by the lookouts.

The character himself was so much fun. There were many things to think about [in acting Do-han's scenes] and I added my inputs. 

When I met Gwangho (Kim Sang-ho) and Seung-ro (Choi Moo-sung) at the Seoul Central District Prosecutor's Office,  Do-han acted obediently around them. So I bowed to both of them very deeply. 

[This way],  you could change the posture at a later time, to show the gap between the real and the false selves of Do-han. I saw Joo Ji-hoon did it in "Asura", and it seemed to be both fascinating and fun to do so. The scene where Do-han beckoned to Eun-jung (Kim Tae-hoon) in the middle was a reference  to Choi Min-shik's part in "Nameless Gangster". My speech intonation and posture in those scenes were indebted to the two films.

»AT THE BEGINNING, I THOUGHT DO-HAN WAS A BAD [transl. CARTOONISH] VILLAIN. THERE WERE A LOT OF REACTIONS AGAINST YOUR PERFORMANCE, TOO.

I don't know that. I only thought that I should look like a villain, I thought a lot of how to show it. I wanted him to be a very rude man. When viewers first watched (the drama), the judgment was that he was bad, until it was confirmed later that he was good.  I deliberately worked hard on such a performance [to hide Do-han's real self].

»EUN-JOONG AND DO-HAN OFTEN CLASHED, WITH THE LATTER AS A [KIND OF] TRICKSTER VILLAIN. BUT HOW MUCH DID DO-HAN'S WORDS EXPRESS HIS REAL PERSONALITY?

Some of his interactions with Eun-joong were close to his real self. The first thought that crossed my mind was he actually felt sorry for Eun-joong, although he said it jokingly. When he said to Eun-joong, "You are brave and just, and necessary to Korea", Do-han meant it. There were sincere things that can't be hidden by silly gestures and jokes.

»WHY DID DO-HAN FEEL SORRY FOR EUN-JOONG?

Do-han lived for revenge, so he wasn't really righteous. But before his eyes, there was this person who consistently tried to bring justice. [So he told Eun-joong], "Sorry, your ways won't work out in Korea",  but in his heart he knew Korea needed people like Eun-joong.

»YOU ACTED A LOT IN SYMBOLIC PLACES, LIKE THE CATHEDRAL, PUBLIC PROSECUTOR'S OFFICE, etc. WHERE DID YOU FEEL MOST COMFORTABLE TO ACT IN? 

The prosecutor's office. Because [Do-han] was a person who lived for revenge, it was a lot more fun [to film scenes where he] got someone to move like a wax in his hand, rather than to film repentance scenes. And to feel how the lookouts were playing out of his hands.

»"LOOKOUT"'S AUDIENCE RATING GRADUALLY INCREASED, BUT IT WAS LOWER THAN ITS COMPETITORS. DID YOU REGRET IT? 

Well, I didn't pay attention, at first. I just thought it would rise steadily. At first, the characters were scattered as if they were in separate stories, but because later they gathered in a fun way, we thought that the ratings would increase.

As we moved to the second half, I felt that the viewers were all cheering us together, "Let's go over 10%!"  I thought so. It was 10% for the finale. "The power of the real viewers is great, we're finally making it!" I thought so. Personally, I don't care much about audience ratings. I thought it was more important to play my character with integrity. 

@leeemyis  I cut this interview for Lookout-related parts only.

TRANSLATION 2

NocutNews Interview with Kim Young-Kwang

PART 2

»YOU SAID FILMING "LOOKOUT" WAS ENJOYABLE, BUT I WONDER WHAT YOU PARTICULARLY ENJOYED ABOUT IT?

(This work) was so much of what I wanted to do (even) when it was over. There was a lot of discussions involved about each scene, in the field. (In creating the scenes) we had to make sure they were real, so when viewers watched it, they'd say, 'Oh, that's what you've been doing' I thought. 

Each character had  a lot of discussions to find out what caused this and that scene to happen. There were a lot of good scenes that we had to discuss with one another. 

For dramas,  the feedback comes right after the week's episodes are aired. I didn't know how viewers saw it until we (the production) discussed it with one another. I was worried about how to make it more exciting (for the viewers), but I thought it was good to have feedback because I liked it. The more we got back to the second half, the more we felt the fun while listening to the audience's response. 

Even though shooting was a very busy schedule, I was really excited. The PD acknowledged a lot of opinions from actors, and everyone was open to suggestions from everyone else.

»IN "LOOKOUT", THE HEARING SCENES WERE GOOD. 

Not really. I was surprised rather, (than think that they're) good. The hearing scenes were so difficult (to film). I had too much lines. In such a setting, only Jang Do-han had so much to say. I was so worried after shooting the scenes. It was so surprising that it came out well on the broadcast. I think the PD's editing is good. 

On the contrary, there is something I thought (would be shown) longer, because it was written longer. In the early interrogation room scene (with Lee Si-young), I played it variously for a long time. 

»IF THERE'S SOMETHING YOU REGRET ABOUT YOUR ACTING (IN LOOKOUT)

There seems to be few scenes that I did well. (Often) I thought of an emotion (that I believed) was appropriate for the situation, (but after shooting), the emotion that I prepared didn't match well. After filming a scene in two takes, I felt that the previous scene wasn't good. That I should have done a little better, or suddenly I thought of a (new) idea.

(For example) There was this scene where (Jang Do-han) met his dad for the first time in the drama. (At first), I cried so hard  because I was (prepared to be) emotionally sad. (Because of Jang Do-han's character at that time) who held his emotions in check, I decided not to cry so much. (The 2nd take) was aired and (the scene's flow) was smooth. 

»POSSIBILITIES OF LOOKOUT SEASON 2

If season two was made, I'd love the characters to return. I would like to see Oh Kwang-Ho (Kim Sang-ho) return. Maybe the PD's B-Team can make 'The Guardians of Galaxy *'. (Laughter) I enjoyed this work, so it would be fun if I had another fun again! If Season 2 comes out, it will be fun if the original cast remain, and maybe add some new ones. 

*=pun to a film's title

»DO YOU USUALLY READ COMMENTS?
(This time) I saw a lot of comments around Jang Do-han and I didn't see (much comments) in my earlier works. (When acting) the expressions can be changed. There was an outcry from the first time it was aired (Laugh).
I had to get a good grasp of the writer's intentions (despite the comments), that's why I couldn't show the good and bad sides of (Jang Do-han) at once. So I don't think I should care too much. 

@leeemyis  I also cut this one for Lookout-related parts only. This one was from  https://t.co/1hSFbsi4t2

TRANSLATION 3.

MBC "Lookout" is a special work for Kim Young-kwang, who dreams of being the best actor.  It is his first work for which he transformed into a villain, and it is the first work that cemented his status as an actor. 

"When my previous dramas were over, I didn't think about what kind of scenes I shot, what I did with some people. "Lookout" seems to give me a lot to think of, and for a long time. (But) I don't want this drama to be the (only) point in my acting career."

AS I TURNED INTO JANG DO-HAN, I FELT LIKE I WAS ASSEMBLING A PUZZLE. 
When we last met him, Jang Do-han saved his friend Jo Soo-ji and fell to the bottom of the building, and so was killed. The death of Yoon Si-wan, the axis of evil, was left unclear. 

"I thought the ending would be 'sweet potatoes' and 'cider' (meaning: bittersweet character developments, a Korean slang),but regrettably the script was different. I tried my best to convey the script faithfully, but (in it) I found the possibility that Do-han couldn't overcome Si-wan. Personally, I'd like to think that Si-wan is dead." 

When asked about the possibility of Season 2, he vowed to consider it positively. There was a passion for acting from him who brought us Jang Do-han. He was worried about the (execution of) the  latter parts of the story.

"He chose to die for the atonement. But (the way) we (showed) it makes it seem like it was an accident, instead of a sacrifice.  I (still) think that he made a sacrifice, (but) it would've been nice if there was a scene that showed how he made that decision.

There were lots of outdoor scenes at the end of shooting, but we couldn't shoot them because of the rainy season. The rooftop scene was originally set in a different location. " 

Kim Young-kwang felt the fun of acting while choosing this work. I asked what the fun was, and the answer was (readily) provided. "I felt like I was spreading a few pictures on my desk randomly and assembling them like a jigsaw puzzle." 

■ "I WAS SO LONELY, I FELT AS IF EVERYONE HATED ME, TOO" 

He had done much research on hairstyles, facial expressions, and costumes for (Jang Do-han's) masquerading revenge. He recalled that it was good to have a lot of time to prepare. "I didn't have time to prepare for my previous works, but this time I had a lot of time to study. I tested my acting, set up the emotions I felt around the lookouts, the preparations needed to be done by the logistics, and the like. In terms of costumes color, I tried to use bright colors in the early stages and to achromatic colors in the later stages. " 

Without hesitation, Kim Young-kwang confessed that he was lonely during the difficult periods of shooting.

"The deeper we were in the second half (of Lookout), I felt (Jang Do-han)'s acute loneliness so keenly. (I felt as if) the prosecutors and even the lookouts hated me, too. After all, they'd been together for a while ...
I became so lonely in reality, so much that I forgot that (Jang Do-han's) feelings weren't mine. (During such times), I used to watch pictures of a puppy I'm currently raising, in my car. " 

@selenette you are so awesome and the best! Thank you for translating. I am very appreciate it! 

I love the drama from start to end although I wish the writer could have conclude a little better. If there is a possibility for a season 2, I hope all the casts can return. My Monday and Tuesday isn't the same without Lookout. 

Archived