[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

I still didn't watch the whole episodes but I watched some scenes and I'm really not liking where the show is going especially with sunghoon. He already went through so much pain and suffering but the writer seems to want him to get even more hurt. After making him feel betrayed and abandoned by his "mom" the Writer decided to make him shoot her. I really hope that she won't die... it just would be too tragic for me to handle. Also he didn't get to shoot the evil chairman of sanyoung but the writer made him shoot his mom ?! That's just terrible and sad. There are only 2 episodes left so I don't get Why the story is getting so complicated. I was not hoping for a happy ending but just some happy moments for lee sunghoon and lee sungjoon. They had their share of drama in life so let them be a little bit happy writer please... I'm not asking for so much.

And also I understand sunghoon, Han yura was alive during all those years and she is the head of the research team so I don't get why she could not get to see him. It just doesn't make sense. If she wanted to see him, she could just told the chairman that she will stop working on the vaccine if he doesn't let her see sunghoon so I understand why he is mad at her.

I understand that sooyeon is a little girl and what's happening to her is sad so she need to be saved but what about the clones ? They are still young too and they had a terrible and cruel life. I just can't see them die like this it will break my heart. Sungjoon is such a nice person, he has a terrible health but he doesn't think about himself and only care about other people and sunghoon was a nice kid too but life was so cruel towards him that's why he turned out like this. 

1 hour ago, ulliwuntsluv_at_yahoo.com_stv said:

SJ and SH just feel so real to me. Someone please tell Yang Se Jong to tone it down with the amazing acting skills, please?

I know right they are just fictional characters but sometimes I forget this because of the good acting. Can't believe that they are only 2 episodes left... imma be so sad when this drama ends it was just part of my  life and the weekend meant 2 duel episodes.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Duel" Episode 13

photo868134.jpg

I have been feeling uncomfortable with the amount of twists thrown around in "Duel" lately, but even I could not have expected this dive into a sea of crazy that episode thirteen takes. Mi-rae's origins are revealed as far more complicated than expected and things are leading us to a showdown with Sanyeong. At the center lies Jo-hye, who makes a bold decision to end things.

Oh "Duel", why? Mi-rae (Seo Eun-su) is predictably right in birth secret central and the only good thing I can see coming out of this is the cure inside of her saving the day. Sadly, things have otherwise become too soapy for comfort. Seong-joon (Yang Se-jong) being a clone of his mother's husband is weird enough, as both characters experience, but I cannot imagine how awkward family get-togethers will be after this latest revelation.

Spoiler

photo868133.jpgphoto868132.jpg

I cannot tell if "Duel" has been a sci-fi soap originally masked as a chase thriller or if a chase thriller's creators have become desperate enough to create all manner of outrageous twists to keep things going, but "Duel" has turned into the ultimate makjang drama. Some of the recent changes, such as the more personal approach to the characters, are good. On the other hand, these latest developments of everyone and their dog being biologically related make things too ridiculous to take seriously anymore.

This makes Jo-hye's (Kim Jung-eun) recent character development bittersweet, since it has now become the one exciting thing in this mess. Her frustration and horror over Ahn Jeong-dong's (Joo Suk-tae) lack of humanity and love for his child are palpable. This is the first time Jo-hye's facade completely breaks and the person under it is clearly a sensitive one, so I wonder if there is a secret about her that we do not know. Just what is her past and why does she act ruthless for power?

These are questions I do not expect to be answered, however. I thought that Deuk-cheon (Jeong Jae-yeong) and Jo-hye's past would play a bigger part in this story, but I also know the tendency of dramas to gravitate towards the more dramatic. I am not surprised to see the two characters kept as secondary, but I still mourn the potential of their involvement, especially now that things have turned a bit too silly. Since everything has been neatly tied together by the motorcycle of doom complete with violent victim shaking, I can see where the drama is going for the remainder of its duration and so there is little suspense to be felt. I do not know how and when these ideas came to fruition, but "Duel" has sadly become a tiring, messy web I cannot wait to get out of.

=======

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Duel" Episode 14

photo868201.jpg

Tears and emotions are abundant in episode fourteen of "Duel" as our characters find themselves in relations that are confusing and hard to approach. Seong-joon's identity finally gets to him, but things are more dire for Seong-hoon, who is becoming increasingly unstable. Mi-rae's unique abilities surface, but time is not on anyone's side and some tough decisions may have to be taken.

It is no surprise that everyone would be emotional right now. A lot has happened to these people and as overly dramatic as I find Yoo-ra's (Uhm Soo-jung) momma-drama over someone she essentially just met, this is Dramaland and blood goes a long way. Even so, I find Seong-joon's (Yang Se-jong) minor breakdown far more convincing, since his very existence is being challenged. His nature is to care for others, but he is human and we have breaking points.

Spoiler

photo868200.jpgphoto868199.jpg

I mean, think about it. He and his brother are clones and their mother is their original's wife. Now his only lady friend turns out to be his biological daughter as well as his mother's daughter and his cure. I am surprised anyone is keeping it together at this point. While Seong-joon's existential crisis is short, it provides some nice bonding with Deuk-cheon (Jeong Jae-yeong), something I wish "Duel' had done more of. Their connection is the most believable here, because we have seen it develop.

Yoo-ra is a late addition and so her death carries little weight in emotions and plot for me. Seong-joon has his original's memories and he could therefore make the cure. I do wonder if he will remember in time, however. If not, would Deuk-cheon turn against the clones to save Soo-yeon? I believe he definitely would and with little resistance, since Seong-joon is the self-sacrificing type. I do expect more overblown drama, however, since the series is clearly relying on that to drag itself to the end.

Yoo-ra's death does make me wonder whether Jo-hye (Kim Jung-eun) can now become useful, however. Even if Seong-joon gets Yong-seob's memories back in order to reconstruct the cure, would he not need Sanyeong's resources? The whole team may need to play along with Park San-yeong (Park Ji-il) and Jo-hye will be the only one in there who can protect them. I just wonder if two episodes can fit all of this. Whatever the case, "Duel" has been threatening everyone's well-being for far too long and so the only real risk of death I see here is for Seong-hoon. That one might as well be wearing an "End My Suffering" sign on his forehead by now. Perhaps Deuk-cheon will join him, but I see no reason for it at this point. Then again, what reason has Dramaland ever needed for being overly dramatic?

cr: hancinema

6 hours ago, rhaps said:

I'm actually surprised that the revelation of MR as dr Lee's daughter came as a surprise for hancinema. I mean, even if it was not confirmed, but she has been looking for her Dad since the beginning and has been carrying dr Lee's pic. So even if there was still not confirmed, that possibility was something that had been shown implisitly by the story. 

Then again, I'm so agree with this : 

"I mean, think about it. He and his brother are clones and their mother is their original's wife. Now his only lady friend turns out to be his biological daughter as well as his mother's daughter and his cure. I am surprised anyone is keeping it together at this point. While Seong-joon's existential crisis is short, it provides some nice bonding with Deuk-cheon (Jeong Jae-yeong), something I wish "Duel' had done more of. Their connection is the most believable here, because we have seen it develop. "

Yes, that part as a sad one. Honestly, I ship SJ and MR :tongue: ..and after the revelation, it felt really strange and impossible. That made things sad too, coz she was the one who had been quite close to SJ all this time, even before Jang was close to him ..and now the show was saying that she was the daughter of his 'origin' ?? So what was he, then?? Luckily SJ is SJ, and not SH, otherwise, he would end up depressed like SH did. I really wish that MR was not dr Lee's daughter, but at this point, it is too difficult for the drama to change everything. 

Perception of Clones
I haven't seen episode 14 with subs, so my perception on this might change once I get to hear what Sung Joon felt in his talk with Deuk Cheon. But right now, I think our minds complicate things because we keep seeing/thinking the boys as mere clones of Lee Yong Sub.

Although I can't fully comprehend Sung Joon and Deuk Cheon's conversation, but I feel that the writer is, again, trying to tell us (and the clones themselves) through his characters e.g. sunbae's comment that the boys are just as humans as we are, or Sung Hoon screaming at Omma last night: "Do I have to die because you guys are real humans and I am clone?".

Looking from another perspective, don't we all see Sung Joon and Sung Hoon as two separate individuals even though they're played by one actor? They may look the same, but they are one standing individual of their own. They are just the more complicated version of twins. Clones or not, they still have to be born through surrogate mother, in a way, that makes them no different to test-tube babies. They have their own feelings and own unique personalities. They are no different to us in certain aspects—apart from we tried to mark ourselves as The Originals (LOL). I'm not saying this isn't weird and it is controversial (e.g. identity issue) and against nature, but since this is just a fantasy drama, so I'm allowing myself to be more accepting and flexible. :D

To be honest, in Ep13, I was expecting Han Yoo Ra to react when she first saw Sung Joon as an adult. But she didn't, and I take it as over the years, she has accepted these boys as who they are, and is not seeing them as clones. So even though they look like her hubby, she only sees them as her sons.

This revelation also made it clear that Sung Joon and Mi Rae can't romance each other (well, they can if they want to - the royals are all incest in ancient times so why not), but I don't think romance is part of the package for Duel, and I'm content with them being a big family and/or close friends. Let's just say I'll be more than happy if both my boys can be cured at this point (end with another picnic with 10 mins of Subway's PPL, HAHAHAHA).

11 hours ago, ulliwuntsluv_at_yahoo.com_stv said:

Considering what happened in ep 14, what are the chances of SJ being able to make a new vaccine using LYS's memories? lol Too ridiculous, even for this drama? I am reaching for all possibilities here. 

Nope definitely not ridiculous, I also thought that SJ would be capable of re-creating the vaccine along with a few others on this thread . Even if SJ isn't able to re-create it, he has LYS's memories and in-built skills to his advantage. With this in mind, I wonder if SJ is going to offer himself up as the next tool for the company if Dr. Han passes away :(

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

Actually, I've realized that Duel was not meant to be a romantic drama. It's okay for me to see SJ-MR as friends. Still, since the show has been showing their closeness, so I began to wonder that MR was NOT dr Lee's daughter. Perhaps they wanted her as more than a sidekick, although not a lover either. So, when I watched epi 13, I was like,"Okaaaayyy ..I got cheated, I should 've stayed with my previous prediction that she was dr Lee's daughter".

Besides, I'm also looking it from SJ's perspective, not just the viewers'. He must feel happy to have a friend like MR, since I saw him pretty concern about her every time. I wonder how confused/lost he must be, after knowing that he was a clone of MR's father. That's why, I really like his conversation with Jang on epi 14. The way Jang treated him as a little bro is the thing that I've been wanting to see since several episodes ago.SJ deserved some encouragement and guidance like that, like what he got from sunbae in epi 12.

And that is something that SH deserves and needs too, even more that SJ now. That's why I'm angry with the writer coz, instead of getting all the hugs and encouragement that he needed, SH ended up doing something really bad. Aish, the writer is cruel.

-edited-

Btw, is there any preview of epi 15, other than the text one? Thanks! 

Episode 14's highlight for me was definitely the conversation between SJ and DC. After the MR revelation, having to come to terms with all this would be extremely difficult for SJ. For someone like him who is pretty much the most lovable character (and also the most beat up character!), it was really sweet to see him gain that extra courage to just be himself. 

At one point I also wanted him to end up with MR, but that's totally down the drain. Siblings it is! lol. 

I'm really disappointed with this drama ! I was thinking before these two episodes that it was an excellent drama but now I'm confused about where the story is going. It just turning into a makjang drama with all those misunderstandings and birth secrets. It just seems like it'a different writer and not the talented writer of the earlier episodes. I'm still gonna watch it and I still enjoy it at one point but it's a little bit frustrating.

oh no hancinema seems to think that Han yura died :bawling: I'm not really sad for her but for the clones and mirae, she just met her real mom and the writer makes all this mess. I still have hope that she is not going to die. And I agree with you @rhaps sunghoon was clearly in panic but Han yura and sunghoon were both getting close to him, that was just a stupid thing to do. The logical thing to do was to take the gun from behind while sunghoon was talking to the doctor but logic and k-drama are not compatible I guess. And the police is so incompetent lol they didn't succeed in any mission they are always running in vain 

And I also think that the writer made sunghoon shoot the doctor so that sungjoon finally decides to stop feeling bad for his dongsaeng and capture him but I can't imagine sunghoon being investigated by the police or anything.. the only thing I see for him is death sadly and I think that he will die saving sungjoon maybe I don't know so that he redeems himself in a way but it also seems difficult to imagine if Han yura dies saving sungjoon, that makes 2 people dying to save him and it's a bit too much so I really don't know where the story is going. I was thinking that maybe sunghoon will suicide but he is so eager to survive so it also won't really make sense. 

And also am I the only one who find the way the police friend of deeukcheon took mirae after the incident weird ? It seemed a little bit suspect. And reading the written preview, I guess that he worked with the chairman's daughter to take mirae. But I'm not sure because he was so loyal to deukcheon during all the drama but seeing what's the writer is doing lately it won't even suprise me.

So many plot twists are concentrated in only two episodes and I don't really get why the writer is doing that when we're so close to the end. She should really be thankful to Yang sejong because at this point his performance and acting is the only thing I'm enjoying in this drama. I was thinking that maybe they decided that they shouldn't make the brothers reunite because it takes a lot of effort for the special effects team to make the scenes of the clones since it's the same actor lol

i keep thinking about how this drama will end but I think that no matter what, we are not going to get a satisfying ending. I was hoping that the writer will make the story similar to I remember you with the brothers reuniting and clearing their misunderstandings but this writer is so cruel lol how can she make the destiny of the two brothers so tragic and also if one clone is going to survive it is probably gonna be sungjoon and I will be happy for him but poor sunghoon he would have spent his whole life suffering, he deserves some happy moments too but the writer again doesn't really care about this.

3 hours ago, rhaps said:

Btw, is there any preview of epi 15, other than the text one? Thanks! 

Lately they haven't been putting the preview at the end but they upload it on YouTube on Wednesday. I' m really excited to see the preview because I'm hoping that it will give hints about how the story is unfolding 

Done with episode 14's subs. My POV on "Perception of Clones" didn't change. The convo between Deuk Cheon & Sung Joon kinda confirmed my belief. I 100% understand Sung Joon's confusion, but Deuk Cheon is right, at the mo' he has to be both Lee Yong Sub & Sung Joon because of the current plot requirements*, but ultimately, his true identity is Lee Sung Joon. I don't have hope we'll ever get an explanation on why he has Lee Yong Sub's memory, at least not scientifically. Spiritually perhaps? *Shrugs*

There's a tiny uncertainty regarding happiness for both clones, but I do (and want to) believe the writer is aiming for happy ending for all...which I think is the reason why he is making us feel hopeless with the newest development. I still enjoy the show for throwing me a curveball, even though I'm highly annoyed by it, lol.

Previously I said I was angry at Sung Hoon shooting at Sung Joon. But now I think he didn't intend to shoot; he panicked. Still, I'm upset at him putting the blame on Sung Joon. I understand why he would think they all knew about the vaccine, but did not tell him. The fact that they all 'hang out together' really didn't look convincing from his POV. The worst part was of course he stupidly didn't listen to the whole conversation & jump into conclusion. Maybe it is time the police capture him and tie him down so that a proper conversation can go on without anyone getting hurt.  

That damn vaccine

The clues (I think) I got out of this episode is that this vaccine:

(1) not only cured Mi Rae's lyphoma disease, but regenerated/repaired her damaged organs.
(2) is a miracle vaccine, a Philosopher's stone — an elixir. And Sung Hoon hinted us Park San Young wants immortality.

Regardless of Han Yoo Ra being alive or dead, our boys and girl don't have time to wait for research trials or cultivate new organs. We just need the vaccine in liquid injection form and it will do its magic. No need to transplant organs too. So the only way is to remake this vaccine. Therefore, I agree with you all on the possibility that Sung Joon will play the crucial part in re-developing this vaccine. It seems to be his *destiny and purpose given by the writer, lol. Now be good to your brother, Sung Hoon!!! He'll be your life saviour! Hmph.

15 hours ago, maria9b7 said:

And also I understand sunghoon, Han yura was alive during all those years and she is the head of the research team so I don't get why she could not get to see him. It just doesn't make sense. If she wanted to see him, she could just told the chairman that she will stop working on the vaccine if he doesn't let her see sunghoon so I understand why he is mad at her.

You have a point. I overlooked this too, and realised why Han Yoo Ra said no matter what resentment Sung Hoon has towards her, she will take it. So I thought hard and check back on episode 11, we see that she worked with Sanyoung again after knowing that Sung Hoon is aging. She could have left, but coz she cares about Sung Hoon so she stayed. Park San Young convinced her to continue researching the vaccine. So it might be true that she's partly responsible of Sung Hoon's experimental suffering.

As to why she didn't visit him, I reckon it's because Sanyoung always has the upper hand on her. If she refuses to do anything, they can easily tell her they'll kill him to make her comply. In episode 11, she asked Park San Young to let her meet Sung Hoon now that he's cured, and that's when she gets told Sung Hoon has escaped. This clue us in that she doesn't have direct access to test subjects & probably doesn't know where Sung Hoon is locked in. Worse she didn't even know Sung Hoon left Sanyoung 2 years ago. If she had known, she'd have left Sanyoung for sure. She's also constantly being watched because Director Han reports to Park San Young she met with Choi Jo Hye.

Reading  everyone's thoughts. Going to watch ep 14 sub. I'll put in my two cents worth  later..

With only two episodes left.. will the clones die? or will SJ live or SH die or the other way around?  Hmm.. what's going on with the writer's mind.  But I agree  I don't like anything crammed  in just final episode and w/o a thought to it.

11 hours ago, maria9b7 said:

sunghoon was clearly in panic but Han yura and sunghoon were both getting close to him, that was just a stupid thing to do. The logical thing to do was to take the gun from behind while sunghoon was talking to the doctor but logic and k-drama are not compatible I guess. 

I agree...I think maybe HYR would have been fine approaching him 'cause I doubt he would ever have shot her, but it was dumb for SJ to try moving closer, and to be honest I also think it was out of character. It was kinda obvious the writers really wanted to force that scene to happen so that SH could shoot his "mom" and suffer even more (and perhaps force SJ into remembering how to make the vaccine), so they made SJ do something he wouldn't have done. To add to that, even though SH was having a breakdown and everything, I don't think it was necessary for him to try to shoot either SJ or HYR. Regardless of all the lies he's been told, I would have hoped that at least the writer would let him still have some connection to SJ, but obviously not, and now the writer is even making him blame and hate SJ more for what happened, which again is so so annoying. They are going to drag this out till the last minute, instead of letting SH clear his misunderstandings. 

11 hours ago, maria9b7 said:

And I also think that the writer made sunghoon shoot the doctor so that sungjoon finally decides to stop feeling bad for his dongsaeng and capture him but I can't imagine sunghoon being investigated by the police or anything.. the only thing I see for him is death sadly and I think that he will die saving sungjoon maybe I don't know so that he redeems himself in a way but it also seems difficult to imagine if Han yura dies saving sungjoon, that makes 2 people dying to save him and it's a bit too much so I really don't know where the story is going. I was thinking that maybe sunghoon will suicide but he is so eager to survive so it also won't really make sense. 

I don't think SJ will really feel like that or blame SH. I think he will most likely blame himself. I also can't imagine SJ creating some miracle vaccine simply to save himself. It would seem weird. So I feel like if he had to create it, it would be to save SH. SY doesn't really need the vaccine, since she could just get help from MR. I really can't imagine SH dying to save SJ...unless it was maybe to honor his "mom" who died saving SJ. But I also can't really imagine SH going on living, knowing that he killed his beloved "mom." I don't even know at this point. :(

@rhaps I wouldn't call Park SY's words as brainwashing. He only manipulated him and planted the seeds of the doubts in SH's mind. Since SH had been tortured for so long, he had also asked himself why HYR didn't come to rescue him. Park SY didn't really lie to him as he stayed as close as possible to the truth: Her real name was HYR, she worked for him for many years aso... His words were correct, yet he didn't mention that he had blackmailed HYR to work for him. Brainwashing someone is when you keep repeating the same things over and over again. LSH didn't see PSY as his ally. 

The irony is that with his little lies, PSY had HYR killed, although he wanted the opposite.  But it would be great if PSY died, when his daughter gives him the so called vaccine, when it is in reality some poison!!!

Duel: Episode 13

by odilettante

duel1302237.jpg

It’s never easy realizing that the truth you’ve always believed about your family is completely wrong, especially if that “truth” existed to cover-up a potentially dangerous reality. As surprising discoveries are made about various characters’ biological parentage, everyone comes one step closer to figuring out where Doctor Lee’s original vaccination has disappeared to.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/07/duel-episode-13/

Hi guys, have you all seen the news? Soompi hasn't reported it yet, but Yang Se Jong has been offered lead role for SBS's Temperature of Love against Seo Hyun Jin!

Both of them haven't confirmed, and still in discussion, but I'm just shocked because WOW, male lead role already. I'm excited and scared for Se Jong, hahaha. I love him as Sung Joon and Sung Hoon so much and I'm not sure this drama will give him a role better than Duel's.

Back to Duel, OMG, where's the previewwww? It's usually out by now :grimace:

@rhaps The news is fresh off the oven. It's all over SNS at the moment, just not the English news sites. I like romcom and medical drama, that's how I discovered Yang Se Jong in Romantic Doctor. But Doctors and High Society weren't great by this Temperature of Love writer. So I'm a bit 'hmm... maybe he should think twice even though it's a lead role'. Seo Hyun Jin is also still in talks, so if she doesn't take it, maybe Se Jong can wait too. Can't you watch the show for Se Jong? :D 

Edited: Oh here's the casting news post from Dramabeans! Click: LINK

Duel team must be trying to catch up with the filming and any action/graphic scenes required. It's nerve wrecking and sad because it is coming to an end. Yeah, everyone loves both boys even though Sung Hoon has been "very naughty". I really want him to be happy too, so I hope Han Yoo Ra is not dead.  

LOL i thought that the preview would help me understand where the writer is going but I was wrong... it just seems very messy. Deukcheon got shot but I believe that it's impossible for him to die and sunghoon just became crazy I think. I wonder who is the person that he is killing again.seems like it's the bodyguard who worked with sanyoung . And Han yura was not shown :bawling: it means that sunghoon really killed her I guess but I still hope that she is still alive. And WTF they are showing  mirae her real dad ! How cruel is that 

The preview... :bawling:

Dang,  this writer.  I thought that the phonebooth scene in Nine Times Time Travel is so cruel,  heck this show is even crazier.  Can I still hope for a happy ending for the good guys??? 

@rhaps May I encourage and tempt you to pick up Romantic Doctor again? It's really good. I'll admit YYS's character is annoying/frustrating in the beginning, but he got better afterwards. His rivalry against Yang Se Jong is something to look out for too. True that there is not very many Yang Se Jong (but screen time & role played are better than Saimdang) because there are too many characters and veteran actors in it, but he really stood out among them and there are scenes of him I really enjoy rewatch his acting.

Duel's preview is seriously, how to describe, not making anyone feel better. Sanyoung keeps an eye on Han Yoo Ra all the time, so I guess that's how they find out about Mi Rae. If Sung Hoon can overheard the convo between Deuk Cheon and Han Yoo Ra, then anyone can eavesdrop on doctor and Han Yoo Ra & co.'s convo about Mi Rae's miracle recovery. It's really smart of them not to show us Han Yoo Ra too so we can agonise over the question of live and death few more days.

@bearpaws Omo, I totally forgot about the phone booth scene in Nine! I hated that! I will be very very mad if the writer pull out something like that. It's not time traveling genre too, so we can't rewind that. And I absolutely will not tolerate open ending such as Nine. Ugh. Give me a definite ending -- be it sad or happy.

Archived