[Drama 2017] Duel 듀얼

larus

dear guys.
i'm newbie here. :blush::blush:
after long time i've been a silent reader for this drama, now i really curious about a few things.
when does sunghoon find out about sungjoong? :confused:
how does park sanyoung never know about sungjoong, while cha gilho is park sanyoung's right-hand man:confused:
what happen about sungjoon's memories after being abducted by sunghoon? and how can sungjoon lost his memories? :confused:

well about ending, it's really big big big lump in my heart when sungjoon visits sunghoon ashes. well i can't belive that writer choose to kill sunghoon after kill han yoora. :frown::frown:

weel after all, i enjoy this drama till now :blush::blush:

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, palapalalu said:

dear guys.
i'm newbie here. :blush::blush:
after long time i've been a silent reader for this drama, now i really curious about a few things.
when does sunghoon find out about sungjoong? :confused:
how does park sanyoung never know about sungjoong, while cha gilho is park sanyoung's right-hand man:confused:
what happen about sungjoon's memories after being abducted by sunghoon? and how can sungjoon lost his memories? :confused:

well about ending, it's really big big big lump in my heart when sungjoon visits sunghoon ashes. well i can't belive that writer choose to kill sunghoon after kill han yoora. :frown::frown:

weel after all, i enjoy this drama till now :blush::blush:

@palapalalu Hello chingu....welcome~~ :blush: nice to meet you~~

Actually, there are a lot of questions, like your question that was unanswered... I also curious about many things like you...but the writer didn't give us the answer till the end...huhu.. :bawling:

And I already miss Song Hoon.... :confounded:

Hello everyone!

OCN did it again with another terrific thriller. While I LOVE Duel in general, I feel that certain parts of its story felt rather incoherent.

Sung Hoon was a psychopath and who knows how many people he killed. At least two guys (His initial partner and chief prosecutor) were murdered by him in his own house. It'd be nice to know what happened to their corpses or maybe discover a place where he dispose his victim. And it also felt strange that while he constantly injected the 'medicine' provided by Sanyoung, it was quite apparent that his condition was deteriorating more rapidly as compared to Sung Joon. I even thought that perhaps the so-called 'medicine' was in fact a poison (that works like Ruler: Master of the Mask's poppy pill) that Sanyoung tricked him into taking to keep him in check. Or maybe it was due to his self-destructive nature and alcoholism? It would have been nice if the drama had addressed this.

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this drama and would love see my favorite ajusshi (Jung Jae Young) in more dramas. SES is also a girl to look out for and to those who are already missing YSJ, he's been offered to star along SHJ in a new drama! Let's hope he accepts it. 

13 hours ago, feyRa_SHINee said:

@palapalalu Hello chingu....welcome~~ :blush: nice to meet you~~

Actually, there are a lot of questions, like your question that was unanswered... I also curious about many things like you...but the writer didn't give us the answer till the end...huhu.. :bawling:

And I already miss Song Hoon.... :confounded:

me too... :dissapointed_relieved::dissapointed_relieved:

Duel: Episode 15

by odilettante

duel1502196a.jpg

There are no more secrets, which is probably a good thing since we’re in our penultimate episode and are running out of time for last-minute surprises. But it also means that Sanyoung has now figured out where the original cure has gone and will do anything to get their greedy little hands on it, so the race is on.

More http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/07/duel-episode-15/

Duel: Episode 16 (Final)

by odilettante

duel1602346a.jpg

Even though Duel never really netted the ratings that OCN has recently grown accustomed to, there was a steady and loyal viewership that remained until the end. Now it’s time to see if that perseverance has paid off — will we get the resolution we desire, or will there be more last-minute surprises as the plot continues to twist and turn?

Read the recap on http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/07/duel-episode-16-final/

Finished...Yeay thank you Duel.One of the memorable crime drama i've ever watched.i stopped around episode 8 and binge watching it from yesterday until now.and no regret finishing it.eventhough it has flaws and plot hole and lazy writing and etc.Sung joon and Sung hoon that make this drama memorable for me..and for Story after watching the last episode now it make sense for me.because in earlier episode this drama really make my head hurt because it just so Confusing but after finishing it now it make sense and thank you for writer to answering most question in this drama though there is still question that unanswered but thats okay.

Really Sad For Sung Hoon.He didnt deserve all of this.but That sanyoung really urghhh i hate it.the most innoncent kid become serial killer because of them and making clone for their research it just idk feel wrong for me..Still sad remembering when Sung Hoon died and The scene when Sung Joon Made a promise for Sung Hoon Is so heartbreaking gosh the actor is AmazZingg..His crying feel so natural.):

And the Ending Scene Is The Most heartbreaking One Because we have to say goodbye to this drama and to All Of the character Especially Sung Joon):.when SJ throw his hand at the window and the music played and the scenery and the feel is so sad and they smile and they happy and Sung Joon still alive and tadadada behind the scene picture appear on my screen.my heart sink):..huft i still Cant let go this drama.):.need time to heal my weak heart xD

i really like this drama until the end. So many questions remained unanswered. Like how did sung hoon find sung joon in the first place,  how did sung Joon lose his memories. And most importantly. How does Sung Joon have memories of Lee Yong Seub? The drama even admits that even though he is a clone he shoudn't be able to have his memories. Yet they never explain why! very frustrating! :angry::angry:

Can anyone be so kind as to tell me if this show gets better? Because all the yelling and histrionics in the first couple of episodes is driving me completely nuts. I realise that the cop dad is desperate but he needs to get a hold of himself and stop overreacting. 

Edit: Thankfully the show improves and is quite intriguing. I'm not fond of the Prosecutor but at least she's smart and non-hysterical.

Probably the most interesting thing for me is the identity of the clones.

Honestly, I dont understand the storyline of this drama. The first time I thought the drama was about a desperate and selfish father trying to get his sick daughter abducted but in the middle of drama telling a separate cloned man and an illegal experiment by a doctor 24 years ago. The interaction between 2 cloned humans is so less that in my opinion this drama is not telling about cloning but at the end of the drama I conclude that this drama is telling some people who are struggling to get the vaccine to survive. In My opinion this drama storyline is not focus that why so many questions unanswered. Why Sung Joon ended in Sung Hoon place and lost his memory, Why SJ have memories of Lee Yong Seub and SH seem doesnt have that shared memories, beside they are the same cloned, its quite weird for me? and drama told that impossible human clone have shared memories, What the connection between Jang Cops and the prosecutor? Big unanswered conflcts, is prosecuter good character or bad character? this character super blur for me .. Its frustrating for me watch this drama beside i admit that yang se jong acting was really good for rookie actor.

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003586042

Interview from duel PD Lee Jong Jae. He has interviewed eight people. Yang Se Jong was the first one. His overwhelming capablility acting in multiple roles is unforgettable. He is a successful actor. Casting a new actor is like a gamble to us. It was our first time challenge in incredible theme. A group of rookie staff working together. It is nothing change even if we add Yang Se Jong to take the risk. If Yang SeJong was failed, I think we are finished. But Yang Se Jong was did very well.  His performance was good. His acting can be considered as crazy.

8d8e67380cd791232a4cfa88a7345982b3b780a8

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003590482

Another interview from duel PD.  He said cloning humanism was originally to have sad ending

@conyli

Duel's genre is Science Fiction, mystery and chase-thriller. The drama centres around the clones, exploring the topic of cloning, and the crisis of human clones could possibly face. Because it's designed to be mysterious, therefore the story begins with the kidnap of Jang Soo Yeon, and through unraveling a series of events, we are introduced and delved deeper into the background of these clones. The drama seems confusing because it's packaged into such genre where there's a need for red-herring to keep the drama interesting. Where's the fun if we find out about the truth too soon, right? It isn't just Duel that doesn't give us answers. Many time-travelling dramas also don't really explain the mechanics of time-travelling and simply glosses over the issues. Best example is The Best Hit/Hip the Top.

Duel's story begins because of a greedy, selfish rich man in search of a cure for himself. To Park San Young, the clones are merely an experiement, not worthy to be treated like humans; created to be in his place for clinical trials. To his son, cloning = money. The point of the story is (1) survival - both humans and clones are just the same, seeking to live (2) to allow the writer explore on the identity crisis and confusion the clones face, and made us aware of the ethical issues of their existence will cause. If one day we are informed human cloning is possible in real life, how do we perceive these clones? What's the purpose of their creation? Do we treat them as humans? Do they have human rights? Are they the same person as the 'original'? Do they get to have their own identities and names? How do we overcome the security & identification systems we have in place when their DNA and fingerprinting are the same?

How did Sung Joon ended up in Sung Hoon's place? -- Because Cha Gil Ho captured him. They wanted to know if his organs are deteriorating too.

Why did he lose his memories? -- We can only guess for this one although I strongly believe there was a story behind it that wasn't told in the show, which I hope the director would put it in the DVD uncut. I have given some thoughts about this. I assume Sung Hoon lives in Seoul, but Sung Joon was captured to his place then was made to travel from Seoul to Busan and back. Why? So I imagine Sung Joon may have tried to run away (like what we saw in the teaser) and he suffered a concussion to his head/traumatic experience and temporary lost his memories.

Why did Sung Joon have Lee Young Sup's memory but not Sung Hoon? -- The writer has asked the same question through Mi Rae's sunbae. Like @rhaps said, it could be the side-effects of cloning. For me, it's a scientific possibility that the writer is entertaining i.e. If we can clone cells into a human being, can't we clone memory cells and its memories too? I think she's exploring that. She's throwing out her ideas, and this is my explanation.

What is the connection between Jang Deuk Cheon and Choi Jo Hye? -- They are from the same town. Previously worked together on a case where they made someone else take the blame. This resulted in the man killing Deuk Cheon's wife. Since then his relationship with Choi Jo Hye went sour.

Is Prosecutor Choi bad or good? -- She is neither. She's ambitious and wouldn't hesitate to bend the law a little to her favour. In the end, we do get hinted that she is happy to have Jang Deuk Cheon around to keep her grounded i.e. so that she won't lose herself and join the dark side like the previous chief prosecutor.

19 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

@conyli

Duel's genre is Science Fiction, mystery and chase-thriller. The drama centres around the clones, exploring the topic of cloning, and the crisis of human clones could possibly face. Because it's designed to be mysterious, therefore the story begins with the kidnap of Jang Soo Yeon, and through unraveling these a series of events, we are introduced and delved deeper into the background of these clones. The drama seems confusing because it's packaged into such genre where there's a need for red-herring to keep the drama interesting. Where's the fun if we find out the truth too soon, rght? It isn't just Duel that doesn't give us answers. Many time-travelling dramas also don't really explain the mechanics of time-travelling and simply glosses over the issues. Best example is The Best Hit/Hip the Top.

Duel's story begins because of a greedy, selfish rich man in search of a cure for himself. To Park San Young, the clones are merely an experiement, not worthy to be treated like humans; created to be in his place for clinical trials. To his son, cloning = money. The point of the story is (1) survival - both humans and clones are just the same, seeking to live (2) to allow the writer explore on the identity crisis and confusion the clones face, and made us aware of the ethical issues of their existence will cause. If one day we are informed human cloning is possible in real life, how do we perceive these clones? What's the purpose of their creation? Do we treat them as humans? Do they have human rights? Are they the same person as the 'original'? Do they get to have their own identities and names? How do we overcome the security & identification systems we have in place when their DNA and fingerprinting are the same?

How did Sung Joon ended up in Sung Hoon's place? -- Because Cha Gil Ho captured him. They wanted to know if his organs are deteriorating too.

Why did he lose his memories? -- We can only guess for this one although I strongly believe there was a story behind it that wasn't told in the show, which I hope the director would put it in the DVD uncut. I have given some thoughts about this. I assume Sung Hoon lives in Seoul, but Sung Joon was captured to his place then was made to travel from Seoul to Busan and back. Why? So I imagine Sung Joon may have tried to run away (like what we saw in the teaser) and he suffered a concussion to his head/traumatic experience and temporary lost his memories.

Why did Sung Joon have Lee Young Sup's memory but not Sung Hoon? -- The writer has asked the same question through Mi Rae's sunbae. Like @rhaps said, it could be the side-effects of cloning. For me, it's a scientific possibility that the writer is entertaining i.e. If we can clone cells into a human being, can't we clone memory cells and its memories too? I think she's exploring that. She's throwing out her ideas, and this is my explanation.

What is the connection between Jang Deuk Cheon and Choi Jo Hye? -- They are from the same town. Previously worked together on a case where they made someone else take the blame. This resulted in the man killing Deuk Cheon's wife. Since then his relationship with Choi Jo Hye went sour.

Is Prosecutor Choi bad or good? -- She is neither. She's ambitious and wouldn't hesitate to bend the law a little to her favour. In the end, we do get hinted that she is happy to have Jang Deuk Cheon around to keep her grounded i.e. so that she won't lose herself and join the dark side like the previous chief prosecutor.

i do agree with your theories. 
but next questions are, how did cha gil-ho find sung-joon? 
and how could cha gil-ho never tell park san-young's people about sung-joon still alive? 

hahaha... i think about it every day... :dizzy:

On 8/7/2017 at 0:59 PM, palapalalu said:

i do agree with your theories. 
but next questions are, how did cha gil-ho find sung-joon? 
and how could cha gil-ho never tell park san-young's people about sung-joon still alive? 

hahaha... i think about it every day...

Hahaha, everyday?! :o I just miss Yang Se Jong as Sung Joon/Sung Hoon everyday now.

More like why didn't Cha Gil Ho tell Director Baek and why didn't Baek tell Park San Young? -- Theory is Cha Gil Ho doesn't think it was necessary since Sung Joon's organs are no good. He was never "part of the mission of finding the cure anyway", and sometimes the less the minions tell their bosses, the less in trouble they are. Don't forget, Sung Hoon is like a crazy dog who does everything he wants and Cha Gil Ho can't control him and if he tells Director Baek, it won't look too good for him. :wink:

How did Cha Gil Ho find Sung Joon? -- Private investigator? LOLLL. I don't know, there's always ways. Like how Mi Rae and sunbae pay to obtain information about that other criminal whose name I forgot. But maybe Gil Ho found him since he was pretty popular among the outlaws he treated, so Gil Ho went looking with Sung Hoon's picture.

@rhaps Yeah, San Young just took Sung Joon's death news by face value and didn't investigate further. The fire incident must have been critical to the point that they truly believe he died in it. Sung Joon was also smart enough to change name after being sent to the orphanage. I didn't think Sung Hoon knew about the fire though. He was genuinely angry at Sung Joon for not coming for him, believing Sung Joon lived a better life; it's only when Sung Joon explained he had it tough too in ep16 that he mellowed down a little. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived