[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

@Sarang21 

Regarding the gold, if I'm not wrong, I think it's not that he can't make (actually more like summon) gold. It's just that the gold he summons has serial numbers on them meaning that they actually belong and owned by banks so it can't really be exchanged for money lest he wants to be sent to prison like what he did to ET's aunt. Spending 9 years in oblivion must have made him forget that fact. So I think he's still actually a dokkaebi though why that is the case exactly, I don't know.

Yeah I don't exactly understand how Kim Shin was able to return to her. Unless he serves a purpose when she's 29 years of age and the blowing of the flame only works at that age? And do you guys notice how candles seem to "coincidentally" appear around Eun Tak and she impulsively blows on it every single time. Like I don't understand why they served candles in the cafe or why there was a lit candle in the radio station. I find that pretty strange.

And yeah funny how technology remains the same even after 9 years and all those product placements though haha.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, 122am said:

Ep 14 was perfect and so much better than expected.

I thought she would have done a DOTS and dedicate a very long portion of the ep on misery.

Some thoughts on ep 14 after the cut...

Reveal hidden contents

But memory loss was fast and relatively pain-free for the viewer. Her easter eggs were put to good use throughout ep 16 to seamlessly tie the front episodes to the later storyline.

Wooing scenes were so satisfactory and KS can finally smile and emote 100% of his feelings instead of holding it inside. The 9 years of waiting really helped him to release all the uncertainty and now he can just savour all 100% of his love.

Character growth of ET was perfect. I can't say I watched many Korean drama, but in from Goblin ep 1 to 14, ET managed to portray an age range from teenage to maturity. KGE is the perfect actress to pick up this role and if I'm her, I will marvel at the opportunity that has been offerred. At her age (mid-twenties), she will definitely achieve a stellar career in the future. 

From her bubbly, positive, borderline-irritating (to some) whining, in this ep she manages to portray a confident office worker with depression / mental uncertainty. Though memory loss may be a risky move to take, KES successfully uses this writing tool to allow KGE to explore another unexpected and unexplored aspect of ET. With the onset of an 'imaginary' or 'unreal' depression from the day she lost her memory, ET successfully captures the helplessness and uncertainty of depression.

Plot moves fast and keeping GR as the 'memory keeper'  is a genius idea on the writer's end. True to the test of time, friendship prevailed throughout ep 14. While there was a reshuffle of the storyline, ET remains anchored in her floating life by her two friends whom she must have cherished very much in her difficult time. When KS thought everyone has forgotten him and he felt so lost about where he should go, GR was still there for him. Keeping everything intact, keeping the faith that his friend will be back. A trust that a true friend held, even though there was no hint of certainty that KS will be able to come back. So often, romance drama ignores or belittles friendship. Here, it plays a small but important role. We all need friends like Sunny, GR and Class President. 

Radio-room window scene was just amazing. Without creeping or stalker vibes, KS manages to see ET's responses. He must be so happy after the long wait and the audience can clearly relate and feel both characters. Everyone, as a human, must have had similar experiences before in life. 

There are so many aspects of this drama that leaves me speechless. The use of candles to 'summon', creating endless possibilities that reality doesn't offer, the Easter eggs that all tie in nicely from front to back episodes. The idea of blooming flowers in fall or winter. The concept of unforgettable love that transcends the mind and memory. 

Is there an unforgettable love in your life? I think for the writer, there must be. With the disappearing scenes, and the wiping of memory, it's like a relationship ceases to exist. Isn't that similar to real life? When you encounter a breakup, suddenly every trace of your significant other disappears.

After some time, it's as though this person died, or never existed in your life, except in your memories. In this lifetime, it will never repeat and you will never experience it again. It's paralleled by how KS vanishes from ET's memories. Only your written thoughts and feelings remain, perhaps in your diary.

When KS came back and appeared in front of ET, though she has forgotten, to the 'omnipresent' audience, it may signify the return of a 'Real Love'. To relive the moments and memories in the shoes of ET, as a member of the audience, I'm also walking through the memories of my life. 

With KS in the dominant romancing role right now, I couldn't be happier. Can't forget that honest, genuine and charming smile of GY. Can't bear that tomorrow will be the final airing of the episodes. Yet, can't wait to watch the next ep and how the story unfolds. 

Is there such a love in the real life? I wish upon a cake and candle that it will happen to me :)

---

I think she is charmed by KS. Right now, she doesn't know or recognise him yet. But she feels it is miraculous and magical that she can finally connect with a person after feeling so depressed after so many years.

It's like you are living under a grey cloud for so long and finally someone appeared who seems to understand you when no one can.

Except she doesn't know right now that he has known her for all her life. 

Really really loved your thoughts @122am this gave so much perspective! Thank you! :D

• Like 7

My theory he's not goblin anymore, his transformation to his goryeo form means he's back to his original form before he was a goblin, but somehow the deity besides let him alive, also let him keep the power minus the immortality. Well since there was no sword stuck to his chest anymore to keep him undying. And the rule for KS to get back from his out of nowhere entrapment was ET's sincerely prayer in front of her birthday cake. And poor KS since ET had a habit to blow her birthday cake and praying infront of it on 9 years interval lol

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

- ET being best friend with the class president. The interaction between them were too little for them to be best friend now. I would have liked to see how their relationship had developed. It just feels rushed to me

-KS still has his power but apparently can´t make gold anymore. So he is not a dokkaebi anymore. What exactly is he?

So we really did got the science fiction...interessting that everything looks the same after 9 years. I was expecting some flying cars :lol:

Sorry i cut your post. My thoughts below:

We lost 9 years of interaction due to the time jump and also the altered memories after kim shins death-but-not-death last week. It does feel rushed, at least the character was already introduced earlier.

Kim shin can make gold, but grims told him not to because gold bars now have codes. Not like in the past gold bars didnt have codes. I think this scene was just meant for laughs, all logic forgotten. :sweatingbullets:

Yep, everything is similar. The one thing different was euntaks hair length. Everyone else looks just the same and have not aged. From the fashion, styling, packaging of items, even the goblin teddy was still sold at the streets. I was looking forward to see some futuristic stuff to set apart the future and past. Would have been fun to see some flying cars and shin trying to adjust with the new technology around him and grims as his technology mentor. Hahaha

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, crazyoverkdrama said:

IKR?? You have this guy who is a complete stranger, hugging you, then following you around, and then BAM!!! "I decide to date you"? Seriously, Writer-nim. I know we are seriously pressed for time, but it's so fast, it's almost unbelievable. Then there's DH. Sure, he's being trained now to be the successor. But seriously, he's 35yrs old by now, he should have matured like everybody else.  But like KS, he seemed to have gotten stuck in his 20s. 

Sorry if I'm ranting right now. I'm a bit disappointed with today's episode, I don't know why. But it's just me. I think the others enjoy it, I just hope tomorrow's episode will be better than today.

@soultree @crazyoverkdrama Yeah I felt that kinda odd. It takes away from what should be a very romantic moment between the two. I've always loved the cute romantic scenes between the two but this time I felt kind of distant and disconnected from the romantic scenes because of this. Like it's hard for me to believe in ET's feelings for KS here. However, I do enjoy seeing KS looking all smiley when looking at ET and how he follows her everywhere. XD

• Like 9

I actually feel sad ET doesn't recognize GR anymore. I thought only KS is erased from everyone's memory. :unsure:

I have no suspicions with ET's friend. I think she's there to show viewers ET does have a friend besides Sunny. Not best friends but just friends. 

I am worried with the last two episodes. I'm glad most of the spoilers pics we've seen for the last week are shown today. A few more saved for tomorrow. 

I wish KS and ET's issue was settled today, with her regaining her memories and etc. And ep 15 focus on GR and Sunny. And ep 16 tied up the loose ends. But that didn't happen. :mellow:

Seems KS is between heaven and earth. He was freed from his punishment and he can make his way to heaven but he plead to the deity to let him be in between so that he could be the rain, the snow...due to his promise to ET. She is the reason he can't walk towards heaven/peace. :tears:

So I really don't know where KES will take this story. Does she want ET to die and both her and KS will have a peaceful life in the hereafter? What about Sunny and GR? :mellow:

So many questions. Hate rushed ending. Hope they can tie up this drama nicely.

DON'T SAY GOODBYE after tomorrow's episodes, chingus! We have their Thailand trip, interviews and post-drama pictorials. :D

• Like 15

I haven't had time to watch ep 14 yet, and maybe I'm just going to do so after the last 2 episodes are out as well. It may be better for my mental as well as physical health to do so...

Anyway, although episode 14 just aired a few hours ago, some first reactions are already out...

---

preview: guardian: the great and lonely god episode 15

grd15

You know, The Lonely, Shining Goblin may just be my favourite drama of all-time, barring a stupid ending tomorrow. I think it may even beat my beloved Faith if it ends well. Episode 14 was beautifully shot (now I get why the production team needed another week to get the special effects right because Shin’s middle heaven was just crazy gorgeous) and beautiful in content. I’m sure I’m not the only one that wished Kim Eun Sook had written more scenes with Eun Tak all grown up because Kim Go Eun is just so herself as a 29-year-old. The chemistry between she and Gong Yoo is unique but stirring, and throw in Reaper’s and Sunny’s contribution to the whole narrative… this is such an unforgettable drama. I cried again in this episode, feeling the pain of all four main players, especially Eun Tak and Shin.

full article: https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/preview-guardian-the-great-and-lonely-god-episode-15/

---

Kim Shin & Eun Tak Meet Again, For Real ? - Our Quick Thoughts on Goblin - Ep 15 Preview

By Ambreen Latif | Friday, January 20, 2017 Leave a Comment

Kim Shin & Eun Tak Meet Again, Goblin - Ep 15 Preview 

No doubt we want a happy ending yet the preview does not show us the happy ending. Grim Reaper had many regrets towards his mistakes and the time he missed he can not able to miss sunny. Will Sunny going to say farewell to him? Is that heavenly drink he will going to present to Sunny, a mystery again. Whom on earth did he make that tea.

full article: http://anewkindofhobby.blogspot.de/2017/01/kim-shin-eun-tak-meet-again-for-real.html

• Like 15