[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

On 02/01/2017 at 9:04 PM, uglypearl said:

Sorry if this is posted before,

I was thinking that maybe it's a possibility that Ji EunTak's past life is the daughter of the former king, Wang Yeo's brother.

Ji EunTak was a princess in her previous life.

Wang Yeo was her uncle. She was close to Queen Sun (it's possible Queen Sun took care of her or spends most time with her) and also to Warrior Shin (possible she's fond of him) .

Warrior Shin might not recognize her because the former King (Wang Yeo's brother)'s daughter is still very young (9 year old girl). Goblin Shin didn't know what Ji EunTak looks like when she was very young.

Reaper Yeo and Sunny don't recognize her because Reaper still can't remember his past and Sunny doesn't know her previous life.

Clarification :

I was thinking how Ji Euntak is related to Goblin, Reaper and Sunny.

It's a possibility that Ji EunTak's previous life was a princess and she's the daughter of the Wang Yeo's brother who was a previous king before Wang Yeo.

So that means Wang Yeo is her uncle.

It's also a possibility that she was close to Queen Sun(Wang Yeo's wife, Warrior Shin's sister), maybe because Queen Sun took care of her  or princess spends most of her time with her.

The princess (Ji EunTak's past life)  was also close to Warrior Shin since he protected her dad and her whole family. She was fond of Shin and also possible has a crush on him and dreams to be his bride.

At the time, The princess was still a child (possibly 9 years old)  back then when Shin and Queen died.

Warrior Shin/Goblin  might not recognize her because the  princess was still young back then. Goblin Shin didn't know what Ji EunTak looks like when she was very young.

Reaper  and Sunny don't recognize her because Reaper still can't remember his past as Wang Yeo and Sunny doesn't know her previous life as Queen Sun.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, romanov said:

@packmule3 another insightful yet 'antique' opinion, i giggle while read your post. In a good way:grin:

Hide contents

i haven't change my opinion about who is the king, and still hoping there's a plot twist later because..(if i were the director)why spill the fun now while you still have 6 episodes left?

:phew:

anyway, i saw many posts of Gong Yoo BTS in filming location. I hope to see more of LDW or KGE or YIN too!

@Puppywookie so uri Goblin already beating LOTBS rating?:grin: i thought Goblin comes second, CMIIW

LOTBS has higher ratings as it is not a cable TV like TVN, so it is free, no need to pay to watch it. So you cannot directly compare the ratings since it is not apple to apple.

But in terms of TV dramas and content provider, Goblin is ranking no 1. I think SBS wants to fight back the No. 1 spot their hardest with the last 7 episodes that they have, so they might even go to the extent of bringing in Soong Jong Ki haha, who knows what they will do, as SBS is like really powerful I believe. TVN is a smaller and newer cable network I believe.

• Like 12

I've been rematching the earlier episodes (for the thousandth time) and I'm blown away by how the writer has managed to portray the relationship progression between ET and KS so subtly and beautifully. 

ET has gone from saying "I don't need you" to "I need you".

KS has gone from disappearing whenever ET's back is turned to staying in line of her sight. 

Another scene that had me thinking was the part where ET just woke up in the hospital and her first instinct was to ask for a lighter. At first I assumed that she wanted to call KS immediately to question him or just to see his face. But we see that she only actually used it when she was on her way to work in the cable car. Perhaps she was waiting for him to visit her in the hospital, until she reached a point where she couldn't stand it and decided to forgo her pride to summon him.

IMO, the lighter (which she probably carries around with her all the time) has become her source of security. Just feeling it in her pocket or knowing she has it with her probably has been something she relies on for comfort - similar to the red scarf her mother gave her. 

ET relies on the physical comfort of things in replacement of the people that she has lost. E.g. We see that she goes into panic mode when she realises she doesn't have her red scarf with her - and KS knows this too because he brought it out to her.

Oh ET, you are so loved :') 

• Like 18

45 minutes ago, Puppywookie said:

LOTBS has higher ratings as it is not a cable TV like TVN, so it is free, no need to pay to watch it. So you cannot directly compare the ratings since it is not apple to apple.

But in terms of TV dramas and content provider, Goblin is ranking no 1. I think SBS wants to fight back the No. 1 spot their hardest with the last 7 episodes that they have, so they might even go to the extent of bringing in Soong Jong Ki haha, who knows what they will do, as SBS is like really powerful I believe. TVN is a smaller and newer cable network I believe.

Actually I have seen news that for brand power LOTBS has placed 1st place for December and Goblin 2nd. And as well I have seen news that for Week 4 in December Hwarang is placing 1st in CPI and Goblin 2nd. Have someone posted it here? I can't get how this could happen...I thought ppl are crazy about Goblin.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Princi_86 said:

Actually I have seen news that for brand power LOTBS has placed 1st place for December and Goblin 2nd. And as well I have seen news that for Week 4 in December Hwarang is placing 1st in CPI and Goblin 2nd. Have someone posted it here? I can't get how this could happen...I thought ppl are crazy about Goblin.

Hi Princi,

I guess this goes to show how fast popularity can change in Korea? Also how Koreans are swayed by stars and shallow elements and not storyline, great acting and incredible cinematic filming of Goblin? I really cannot understand Korean taste sometimes. To me Lee Dong Wook and Gong Yoo are 100 times more handsome than Lee Min Ho.

• Like 15

To be fair this has been an bounty  year for Dramas with many amazing shows to cater to all tastes and Goblin has stiff  competition. People are definitely crazy about LOTBS and beginning to be about Hwarang and I personally adore having a whole week of dramas  to look forward to laid out. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Puppywookie said:

Hi Princi,

I guess this goes to show how fast popularity can change in Korea? Also how Koreans are swayed by stars and shallow elements and not storyline, great acting and incredible cinematic filming of Goblin? I really cannot understand Korean taste sometimes. To me Lee Dong Wook and Gong Yoo are 100 times more handsome than Lee Min Ho.

Well, can't questioned a culture. Every culture have their own background. ^____^. For me different tastes and cultures made me excited. Sometime it made me thankful of being me.

But commonly, each drama need to fight for popularity, if they want to repay the hard work they've made on creating the drama. It's all about knowing how to steal your viewers heart ^^.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, RobinM said:

To be fair this has been an bounty  year for Dramas with many amazing shows to cater to all tastes and Goblin has stiff  competition. People are definitely crazy about LOTBS and beginning to be about Hwarang and I personally adore having a whole week of dramas  to look forward to laid out. 

I guess because I am such a huge fan of Goblin and how special it is, to me LOTBS and Hwarang seem like your typical korean dramas with similar plots, there is no breakthrough. I felt it was really cool how Goblin was doing so well and deserved so as well due to the cast, writer, story, producer, cinematography and even to the extent of the deeper meaning behind the story of the meaning of life and death and afterlife. You are fine to have your own opinion, but to me as a huge fan of Goblin, it is deserving of a much higher recognition than those other typical dramas.

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, phikyl said:

@bgcldxx and anyone else who may have been asking about it. Here are screenshots of the glimpse Shin gets when he looks at ET in ep 1, in the order they appear. 

Hide contents

fb5_zpszwi1kv50.jpg

Thanks for posting those! I watched the scene many times after it was mentioned here. But seeing the images really help. In this one, my first thought was that he seemed to be putting the necklace on her!!! No?...

• Like 5

@uglypearl I wonder where you get that thought ;)
It's cute, but as good as any ;)
There is no mentioning of a princess or anyone close to the Kim Family in the palace apart from the late king. And he did not order KimShin to protect the royal family, but the future King, Wang Yeo.

I for my part do believe, that ETs soul is new, fresh, never reborn and never spoilt by lifes treacherous games and sins. Created and saved for one purpose alone, to be the goblins bride and save his immortal soul to be free 

So far uriGR did not touch ET, so we can't be certain and KS can just see into the future of people.

Ah ... one more thought ... if DH really would be a higher being, would he be so dense as not to know why GR can't/won't touch people and be so careless in his behavior as to lose himself the credit card? To me he is just a reincarnated soul, that does have it's purpose in lifes silly game, but no power at all. Also his respectless behavior against KS or GR is not because of his higher power, but more because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and is spoilt rotten

• Like 14

Gosh I'm laughing here .... I went onto the naver site from "goblin" and my google chrome looooves to translate sites into German ... so it called our Grim Reaper now "Knecht Ruprecht", who is (in case you know or want to know) the helper of Sankt Nikolaus in Germany (story not included) ... they are so much not alike and do not have the same purpose in life ... so funny (to me)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puppywookie said:

haha if SBS does something like that, it would be nastyyy XD But it's apparent that they are trying any means to make the LOTBS reach as high as possible. While it's a good drama it lacks in many ways and is a little cliche to me. I stopped watching it after 5th episode, even tho I love Jun Jihyun very much and like Lee Minho's acting very much(my first time watching him). Goblin is far superior for me. I bet it would achieve far better ratings if not for the cable TV. Unfortunately LOTBS couldn't keep up with expectations, even with a cast like that

• Like 12

ItS a culture thing..

But where afterbirth life, rebirth etc is ingrained in religious and cultural philosophy .. from that perspective.. there isn't exactly anything new that goblin offers .. it is tried and tested plot.. many movies have had the plot..

So personally i think , writer deserves accolades more from the witty dialogue perspective than the overall storyline, director and crew have made a huge difference.. because many a times how the story is told becomes more important is enjoying the story.. from hues used, to angles to landscapes to everything..

and ofcourse actors are awesome..

This is such a good example of great teamworkd delivering high quality product although the overall content is very average..

1 hour ago, anipanch said:

haha if SBS does something like that, it would be nastyyy XD But it's apparent that they are trying any means to make the LOTBS reach as high as possible. While it's a good drama it lacks in many ways and is a little cliche to me. I stopped watching it after 5th episode, even tho I love Jun Jihyun very much and like Lee Minho's acting very much(my first time watching him). Goblin is far superior for me. I bet it would achieve far better ratings if not for the cable TV. Unfortunately LOTBS couldn't keep up with expectations, even with a cast like that

but i thought KBS has the ultimate ownership of TVN.. or have significant stake.. so TVN is not a "weak" player

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itzibitzispider said:

Gosh I'm laughing here .... I went onto the naver site from "goblin" and my google chrome looooves to translate sites into German ... so it called our Grim Reaper now "Knecht Ruprecht", who is (in case you know or want to know) the helper of Sankt Nikolaus in Germany (story not included) ... they are so much not alike and do not have the same purpose in life ... so funny (to me)

google calls goblin = boogeyman

• Like 1