[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

31 minutes ago, aidanelle said:

I enjoy reading all the theories in this forum.

My question at the moment...who gave the jade ring to Kim Sun?

I think it's from the king. It's like a wedding ring, if I'm not mistaken jade represents love. 

• Like 8

@Saamo Khan

Look in this playlist. The official BGM OST hasn't been released and it usually won't be until a drama ends, but this person had played some by ear and shared on YouTube.

@valzki

Yes, the scene with the little boy made me curious. It seems pointless to add that scene in ep10, and initially it seems pointless too to insert the scene of Eun Tak purposefully look up the library ghost and offer to help her passing over, but now that we know there's a reason behind it, maybe the little boy is the same.

The ahjumma Eun Tak helped with getting the lotto number, she's definitely not a filler because that ahjumma is one of the triplets of the Shaman lady. There is definitely more to that story, I reckon. Besides, I would never miss that supporting actress, she's a scene stealer in She Was Pretty. All in all, it would be nice that they aren't filler scenes like I initially thought (can't blame me because tvN dramas are at least all 1 hour 15 mins).

AHAHAHA. Is Discovery worst? Subway appears almost in every episode that's why I got sick of seeing it. It was in The K2 as well. Other PPLs didn't appear so frequently and right in your face. I'm okay with Discovery since it's winter, the actors need to wear it for warmth. But Korea has so many other delicious food, they don't need to always eat Subway in each episode. As for iloom and Body Shop's perfume, I think the PPLs were better incorporated into the plot than Subway. Subway is not the type of food I would think rich people like Deok Hwa or Shin would like eating too. LOL, I hope no one in here works for Subway. :P

• Like 11

The whole concept of eun tak being someone's daughter is entertaining, sure, but we do realize that it could be directing on something incestuous, don't we? Since reaper is Shin's brother in law,[ from the past],and that makes Shin ET's uncle [ in that theory] :S. So that part is not welcoming, for any of our OTP, imo. 

I rather would like to embrace the idea that Eun Tak has been and always will be a catalyst in Shin's life, Shin never got married in the goreyo times either, and he was broody, all serious, always ready to sacrifice his honor for the sake of his country, there was never any hint of smile on his face in the past, so we can assume that his life has been quite like a monk in that sense? ET comes in his life, and changed him for better, now he laughs and cries just like a regular human being, and even has come a long way from ep 1, when he was scolding the poor girl, saying she should better embrace the reality and get ready to die when time comes. So, just for that very fact, I am thinking Eun Tak is not a reincarnation, like the fact that Shin was never reborn, same could be same for Eun Tak may be? Everything around them changes, but they make change to other people's life, Shin helps the children to make their lives better, while Eun Tak helps the ghosts to ascend and move on. Moreover, the drama has been quite fixated on the theory that people tend to reborn because of their past sins, the king and queen got their second life because they had unfinished business to take care of. In that context, what would be the purpose of Eun Tak's rebirth? I know that ET's reason for existence is solely for Shin to get his redemption sounds too shallow, so I would rather say they are star crossed lovers, and Shin was fortunate enough to meet her after waiting for thousand years.

I think 'free will/ destiny' was in play from the start, without our realization. On a good day, when Shin was a softhearted god for a night, he saw Eun Tak's mom, and was kind enough to save her daughter, [ < He saved the daughter without having any reason to < and unknown to him god granted him the 'break' he had been waiting for. ET was never supposed to born, but like the way 'god's doors need to be opened for Shin to stay alive', Shin's door actually opened then and there at the very moment when Eun Tak started existing.] We witnessed the miracle, but may be the writer would bring us back to those mundane moments which cemented Eun Tak and Shin's fate altogether. 

• Like 22

1 hour ago, 122am said:

@hallee It may be because he knows where the necklace stall is and it may not be there forever. He also saw ET shopping at the park and knows she likes it. Knowing about it and discovering that he is part of her future by buying a necklace for her, he did not hesitate as he wants to be part of her future.

Hi! Would you know in what scene in ep10 did Kim Shin knew that he was the one who gave the necklace to be used by Eun Tak in the future??

• Like 2

Re KGE beauty topic. Guys, stop bothering and finding hateful comments. You will always have someone who will disagree or who will not accept her beauty/talent. And not only her's. So many men so many minds. I was always saying that she's beautiful with her natural beauty and sincere open smile. I was started watching CIIT after I have seen her character's teaser and she had such a strong charisma there. So bad the plot has been lost there. And in Goblin my favourite parts aside Wookie's and Wookie's with YIN and their backstory are her moments when she smiles widely (like in Canada) or misses her mom (this parts always touches me). Gladly Goblin will erase knetz memory of CITT controversy.

Some more fancam of Wookie leaving shooting place. They need additional staff to control people and not give them prevent filming. Especially when it comes to Olivia Chicken. They are filming quite bunch of scenes there. And yesterday, and today people are stalking them. Btw someone knows the exact address of this new Olivia Chicken resto? I like this one more then previous. And it seems it's more comfortable for stalking. My friend told me that with last one there were no space to stalk since the street was too narrow and full of filming stuff and equipment.

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, nearsea said:

The whole concept of eun tak being someone's daughter is entertaining, sure, but we do realize that it could be directing on something incestuous, don't we? Since reaper is Shin's brother in law,[ from the past],and that makes Shin ET's uncle [ in that theory] :S. So that part is not welcoming, for any of our OTP, imo. 

I rather would like to embrace the idea that Eun Tak has been and always will be a catalyst in Shin's life, Shin never got married in the goreyo times either, and he was broody, all serious, always ready to sacrifice his honor for the sake of his country, there was never any hint of smile on his face in the past, so we can assume that his life has been quite like a monk in that sense? ET comes in his life, and changed him for better, now he laughs and cries just like a regular human being, and even has come a long way from ep 1, when he was scolding the poor girl, saying she should better embrace the reality and get ready to die when time comes. So, just for that very fact, I am thinking Eun Tak is not a reincarnation, like the fact that Shin was never reborn, same could be same for Eun Tak may be? Everything around them changes, but they make change to other people's life, Shin helps the children to make their lives better, while Eun Tak helps the ghosts to help them ascend and move on. Moreover, the drama has been quite fixated on the theory that people tend to reborn because of their past sins, the king and queen got their second life because they had unfinished business to take care of. In that context, what would be the purpose of Eun Tak's rebirth? I know that ET's reason for existence is solely for Shin to get his redemption sounds too shallow, so I would rather say they are star crossed lovers, and Shin was fortunate enough to meet her after waiting for thousand years.

I think 'free will/ destiny' was in play from the start, without our realization. On a good day, when Shin was a softhearted god for a night, he saw Eun Tak's mom, and was kind enough to save her daughter, [ < He saved the daughter without having any reason to < and unknown to him god granted him the 'break' he had been waiting for. ET was never supposed to born, but like the way 'god's doors need to be opened for Shin to stay alive', Shin's door actually opened then and there at the very moment when Eun Tak started existing.] We witnessed the miracle, but may be the writer would bring us back to those mundane moments which cemented Eun Tak and Shin's fate altogether. 

It is not without reason. But ET called Shin for the help even she was still in her mom womb. Remember also when ET mother go to grandma for the first time. Grandma told her (at that time ET mother was pregnantingle mother) to think deeply, asking for help in a very critical situation.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, hallee said:

Hi! Would you know in what scene in ep10 did Kim Shin knew that he was the one who gave the necklace to be used by Eun Tak in the future??

No, he didnt know. But he saw the future that ET wears the necklace in her 29's. And suddenly he realized that ET is willing to buy that necklace in her first visit to Quebec but turn down because she had no money at that time. The Goblin still think that the ahjussi that ET is going to see in her 29's is another guy. So, instead of waiting another guy to buy her the necklace and to make sure ET reach her 29's, Goblin buy her the necklace.

• Like 9

Yes, I agree. Gong Yoo's aura is very thick. He is a very good actor, he puts all the effort in his acting skills, so as Kim Go Eun. No wonder why Kim Eun Sook always tries to offer GY of her drama, and finally GY takes Goblin.

The funny scene in episode 10 was when GR consulted his breakup case with doctor, its very funny. The doctor even said that he spend his Youth for studying, what a useless education hahaha.

• Like 11

It looks like Wookie has left filming before GY and YIN. that means Wang Yeo has left Kim Shin and Sunny alone? I wonder if Sunny will remember her past life...And i'm so sad for Wang Yeo. Will he get a bit of happiness before he'll find out the truth on his past?

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, Visually-wandering said:

Hello Chingudeul. I'm back on my wifi area again. LOL

What about this beauty standards matter? After that age gaps... Why should we make it a problem? For me, as long as the actors and actress can delivered the character very well, made me drowned inside the story, than it will be remembered as beautiful drama. Let's not continue this beauty standards and age gaps topic, because in real life those topics only matter for shallow thinking people. I'm sorry, but I really wanna enjoy this show and thread, let's begin 2017 with new topic. Only 6 more eps.... let's hope for more skinship! Yay.

@Visually-wandering first allow me to touch on the Age-gap issue... since this has been something the more intellectual fans or bloggers alike still talking about....
beauty issue to me is a lesser problem. to dealt with. because elsewhere, and even in some popular blogs or recappers, i still find people talking about the older 'Goblin romancing the 'acting-cute' minor... it is not the first time Kdrama dealt with Ahjussi romance, why are there not so much back-lash before, as is it the Gong-yoo effect or the Lee DongWook effect that their fans wouldnt accept someone "minor"? mind you that Miss Kim GoEun is actually aged 25. while her character in the drama, will spin slowly from 19 to 20 (which is right now, then you have a real First Kiss).. you should see the whole drama till ep10, Kim shin treat her with great respect, not just because he was preparing himself to keep the distance so that one fine day he will died by her hands.... but its because this was what Kim Shin supposed to be, even during the EunTak drunk scene asking for a Kiss.. he actually shy off at the beginning ... it is just him being a very modern victorian-style gentleman, a chivalry knight rather than a hot hunk even when he confessed his love, it is still the very reserved "Me Too"... the Age-gape matter is handled with care, Kim Eunsook making sure EunTak can only 'advanced" after she reach "adulthood".. i guess we should just put down our self-righteousness... reminding ourselves, not just Korean dramas,.. this ahjussi love can be found in most Asian drama, starting from Japan, HongKong, Taiwan. (i guess China should have)... so what's the problem? if we can't accept Ahjussi love, when it has handled skinship in the mininum until the female character reach adult-age... how can we handle Noona Romance like La Dolce Vita (which is acted by alluring Lee Dongwook and Oh Yeonsoo which is actually 45 aged), or Secret Love Affair (Yoo Ah-in and Kim Hee-ae aged 49).  do note that Gongyoo is just 37 while Kim Go-Eun is 25, what is 12 years. but if we want to factor in Kim Shin's 939 yrs.. then KS as well rot as a virgin-boy, because there will never be another 900 years old human being or goblin, unless we are talking about Birth Hamoni as a worthy for 900 yrs old bride. if not, not human being can match the age-gap of goblin Kim shin.  while Kim Go eun, match Gongyoo fine (and we are not even talking about ship them in real person.) right?

below are a list ahjussi romance Kdrama, and can't you see, our GongYoo should be one of the Best among them, if not The Best:
Painter in the Wing – Park Shin-yang (48), Moon Geun-young (29)

Beethovan Virus- Kim Myung Min (44), Lee Ji Ah (38)

Padam Padaam- Jung Woo Sung (43), Han Ji min (34)

My Fair Lady- Yoon Sanghyun (43), Yoon Eunhye (32)

Prime and I- Lee Beom-soo (46), Im Yoona (26)

My Spring Days- Kam Woo-sung(46), Choi Soo-Young (26)

Mr Baek – Shin Ha Kyun (42), Jang Nara (35)

Entertainer- Ji Sung (39), Hyeri (22)

• Like 19

1 hour ago, sia3 said:

@faidaris

Hahaha, I can't. I get goosebumps when Kim Tan asked "Do you like me?" or Yoo Shi Jin saying similar lines. It's the kind of cheesy/cheeky lines that the male lead say to the heroine directly without feeling shy or embarrassed that I don't like. She has really toned it down for Goblin. The one time it came close to being cheesy was when Shin got drunk and he outright said it to Eun Tak (can't remember the exact line), and it made her uncomfortable, but Gong Yoo did it a drunk way that it did not appear cheesy.

As for 'Uri ahjussi' statement, that comes off as 'adorable' rather than cheesy because he was just genuinely happy she is staking a claim on him, hehe. I guess it's how the lines are executed. If Shin or Grim Reaper were to suddenly asked their respectively lovers, "Hey beautiful, why are you so beautiful today?" without even blushing then that's really cheesy, LOL. But it'd be out of character if they did, thank god (for me).

Reply 88 is a drama for all ages-- it's about family, friends and lovers. You said you are 30 something of age, right? Then you would feel nostalgic because it's around the time of your childhood/teenagehood. You would see things that you haven't seen for awhile and those things bring back memories. I like the depiction of how the life is in the 80s where internet or mobile phones haven't been invented. Back then, people's relationship were closer and life was much simpler and happier without those things. My favourite is the solid friendships among the 2 generations, puts me to tears...

---

About Kim Go Eun's looks. People are so harsh and they probably haven't seen her act. Initially, I didn't find Gong Yoo or So Ji Sub good-looking too, but they have onscreen charm and they became attractive to me. I think it will be the same for Kim Go Eun. I first knew her in Chinatown. Ever since then, I thought she's got the acting skills even though she was fairly new to the industry. She nailed her role in Cheese in the Trap, and I never had doubts she would fail to act against Gong Yoo. I was more worried that Kim Eun Sook would screw up by giving her Candy or damsel in distress role. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, until these people watch her act, they will never see her worth or appeal. Kim Go Eun as Ji Eun Tak, like Shin said, shine every day and is beautiful. :heart:

I actually first saw Kim Go Eun in Cheese in the Trap and I didn't like her there. I didn't find her pretty (I think it's the way they styled her hair in that drama.. but I also found her character very plain and lacked personality). But I absolutely adore her as Ji Eun Tak and find her very pretty. I can't imagine another actress portraying Ji Eun Tak other than Kim Go Eun. I think she is perfect for the role and her acting as a highschooler is superb. I agree with you, there are some actors/actresses who do not seem attractive at first but they have charisma on-screen (or they portray their characters so well) that you eventually find him/her attractive and appealing. I think that in itself says a lot about the actor/actress too. The fact that they can bring their characters to life while injecting their own charm and personality into their roles is really something special. I think Gong Yoo and Ji Eun Tak do this very well. I mean, if you just look at them separately - nothing special right? But put them together in a drama and it's magic. 

• Like 9

Just something to share, yesterday I was searching for the 'Deok Hwa being the deity, Weol Ha (a deity that takes care of marriages)' theory in Chinese on the web and something else came up. Andy Lau, whose chinese name is also read in Korean as Deok Hwa, sang a song called Weol Ha. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, maryofbethany said:

@Visually-wandering first allow me to touch on the Age-gap issue... since this has been something the more intellectual fans or bloggers alike still talking about....
beauty issue to me is a lesser problem. to dealt with. because elsewhere, and even in some popular blogs or recappers, i still find people talking about the older 'Goblin romancing the 'acting-cute' minor... it is not the first time Kdrama dealt with Ahjussi romance, why are there not so much back-lash before, as is it the Gong-yoo effect or the Lee DongWook effect that their fans wouldnt accept someone "minor"? mind you that Miss Kim GoEun is actually aged 25. while her character in the drama, will spin slowly from 19 to 20 (which is right now, then you have a real First Kiss).. you should see the whole drama till ep10, Kim shin treat her with great respect, not just because he was preparing himself to keep the distance so that one fine day he will died by her hands.... but its because this was what Kim Shin supposed to be, even during the EunTak drunk scene asking for a Kiss.. he actually shy off at the beginning ... it is just him being a very modern victorian-style gentleman, a chivalry knight rather than a hot hunk even when he confessed his love, it is still the very reserved "Me Too"... the Age-gape matter is handled with care, Kim Eunsook making sure EunTak can only 'advanced" after she reach "adulthood".. i guess we should just put down our self-righteousness... reminding ourselves, not just Korean dramas,.. this ahjussi love can be found in most Asian drama, starting from Japan, HongKong, Taiwan. (i guess China should have)... so what's the problem? if we can't accept Ahjussi love, when it has handled skinship in the mininum until the female character reach adult-age... how can we handle Noona Romance like La Dolce Vita (which is acted by alluring Lee Dongwook and Oh Yeonsoo which is actually 45 aged), or Secret Love Affair (Yoo Ah-in and Kim Hee-ae aged 49).  do note that Gongyoo is just 37 while Kim Go-Eun is 25, what is 12 years. but if we want to factor in Kim Shin's 939 yrs.. then KS as well rot as a virgin-boy, because there will never be another 900 years old human being or goblin, unless we are talking about Birth Hamoni as a worthy for 900 yrs old bride. if not, not human being can match the age-gap of goblin Kim shin.  while Kim Go eun, match Gongyoo fine (and we are not even talking about ship them in real person.) right?

below are a list ahjussi romance Kdrama, and can't you see, our GongYoo should be one of the Best among them, if not The Best:
Painter in the Wing – Park Shin-yang (48), Moon Geun-young (29)

Beethovan Virus- Kim Myung Min (44), Lee Ji Ah (38)

Padam Padaam- Jung Woo Sung (43), Han Ji min (34)

My Fair Lady- Yoon Sanghyun (43), Yoon Eunhye (32)

Prime and I- Lee Beom-soo (46), Im Yoona (26)

My Spring Days- Kam Woo-sung(46), Choi Soo-Young (26)

Mr Baek – Shin Ha Kyun (42), Jang Nara (35)

Entertainer- Ji Sung (39), Hyeri (22)

@maryofbethany I want to give applause for this answer, I love it!

• Like 4