[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

40 minutes ago, itzibitzispider said:

I wonder at the side job .... maybe she does go away because she knows the truth ...

wherever she goes, it won't change the fact that the death is always near her before she pulls out KS sword. and i think she won't know this fact told to KS by the Lady in red.

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, itzibitzispider said:

I wonder at the side job .... maybe she does go away because she knows the truth ...

She will go away but she have no idea that she will in many dangerous situations (that brings death) so Goblin will try to find her really hard etc, etc I think oh I hope if that so, the writer didn't make it long and I prefer that they could talk together and find the solution together

*Sorry if my English so bad guys*

• Like 14

i repeat again good news In here...So this week will confirm episode 9 and 10 frm tvn guide source.  So need tell in Ig and facebook:wub:

I heard one of goblin facebook have problem..Dear admin fighting to you because I know you have many followers...:tears: This fb have 181855 likes...Fighting

Then bts bromance..My eyes lucky again to see them..Its real gY hug to LDW...wow:w00t:

• Like 21

10 minutes ago, shynaz said:

I have good news...:wub: Its confirm

Episode 9 and 10 will be airing this week :w00t: From tvn guide source. .Thanks to TVN

I feel excited so much..Crying happiness:wub:

THANK YOU SO MUCH this a bit heals me the devastated one by (you, TvN too) ekekeke :'''')

• Like 15

During this time I look the fashion Kim Shin...

With Kwb and others he so good looking and fashionable..especially with KWB scene..blue,black and etc.:w00t:

When Kim Shin with ET he too much thinking about their style,fashion and wear strange colour clothes especially kiwi coat:sweatingbullets:

So I know love will make you this person.Kim shin try to much to attract ET..ET so lucky :wub:

• Like 12

@valzki & @CatchMine_ID ... I'm with you, like before KS will not tell ET what's really at stake.

My guess is, that either:
when he comes home she has a total rant at him and he at the poor GR for blabbing (thought he didn't really said something, he just looked, but as he did so and looked droopy eyed sad ... I would get those conclusions, too and feel confirmed
So while they will ignore each other she will look for a job far away and as her bags were neatly packed she will be gone in a blink
Or:
She won't wait at all and even before he is back she is gone ... I am not sure where she would sleep, but as her bags were already packed and on her bed she might have already have an idea 

@romanov :wub:

Edited by itzibitzispider
To thank romanov
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, CatchMine_ID said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH this a bit heals me the devastated one by (you, TvN too) ekekeke :'''')

I very panicked before this...LoL..I just mention to tell in FB and IG because I dont want assume anymore...:sweatingbullets:

Now we can enjoy looks Kim Shin and Kim Won Bin this week:wub:

• Like 8

@shynaz I love the bromance too, as well aa their Three Stooges dynamics with Deok-hwa. I swear if there's either a sageuk (fusion or not) or a comedy show with these two, or with this trio, I'm in. :grin:

@gamshe  I love love LOVE the edits and the quotes. Kindly tag me whenever you post something! 

@nearsea  Greetings! It's nice to be tagged by you. I know, it's fun to speculate, I love that the most in this thread.But I also thought it wouldn't be fair not to throw in those casting announcements. Not only they mentioned Wang Yeo, they also stated that Lee Dong-wook would play a king. The same goes for Lee El's Red Lady character, whose identity as the Goddess of Birth and Fertility was explained in the actress' interview. 

However, I also know how notoriously fickle and tricky k-drama writers are. The writers pander to the masses (and here I'm borrowing @hairuchii 's phrasing) to ensure an increase in ratings.

In addition, these writers love to twist previously established information to serve a plot development. In Kill Me Heal Me, Ji Sung's character was named Cha Do-hyun from casting announcements, and then all the way through the drama, until suddenly the viewers discovered that Cha Do-hyun was actually Hwang Jung-eum's character's real name. 

So, I still think the Grim Reaper is the King, but I will keep watching with an open mind. This doesn't mean that I won't try to argue against dear @packmule3's detailed theory of Grim Reaper as Queen. Because, after all, (polite) arguments are part of the fun in this thread too

Edited by selenette
Was worried that I came across as offensive.
  • Like 21

@moon_nebula hi! I couldn't be more agree with what you wrote here! I love KS but sometimes he annoys me too haha..But I let him get away because he's so HOT lol. He's been alone too many years, and since ET is his first love, it is understandable that he is so amateur in love department. :sweatingbullets:

5 hours ago, moon_nebula said:

There are some things that I don't really like as much about it -- how Goblin has a somewhat bipolar way of expressing himself to Euk Tak is confusing as heck. I mean granted, it is somewhat believable considering the circumstances (he's constantly torn about what he wants from her), I still think it could be handled a bit more delicately. He shouldn't have lied to her from the beginning and he should have at least tried to be a bit consistent in the way he treats her.

@hayuinblue glad someone notice it too..I against amnesia scenario but if it is logical, I think I can handle it as long as the writer doesn't kill our OTP :phew:

@itzibitzispider well it depends. A friend of mine gave me tips on how to avoid import duty fee tax...but I won't recommend it haha. I am a good citizen :wub:

• Like 11

8 hours ago, lividc said:

Hi all~ I've been lurking here since episode 1. Loving the drama so far, the whole casts have been doing a great job! Not sure if these had been shared as I just saw these fancams and pics in weibo. Several fan sightings of Yoo Inna (Sunny) and Lee Dong Wook (GR) filming:

CR to FUYTINGXXX weibo

And a short vid.. looked like Sunny is drunk walking? lol

CR to 徐l穎 weibo

Some fans who saw them commented it was really x100 cold and the actors and crews have been standing outside for a few hours filming (still filming when she left). I hope they stay and keep warm, it must be tough and super tiring now that they are in live filming mode. ><

Thank you for sharing the pic and video of Wookie and YIN filming! Do you know if these are from last night's filming? There's been quite a lot of fancam from their recent filming - I hope that means we WangSun fans have lots to look forward to in the coming episodes! I wonder if Sunny being drunk means WY will come to her rescue and in the process touch her (and see her past)? I also wonder if this scene will come before or after that scene where he holds her hand.

Hope to see you here often, @lividc ^^

• Like 13

I wonder are WangSun filming at Olivia Chicken as well? The person in Ig said that there is filming van but she can't see actors there. I confused how many filming groups they have, cos I have seen fan cam of Kim So Hyun's filming and GY and KGE and now this...Maybe they're not filming and it's just something else...

• Like 13

13 hours ago, packmule3 said:

on Ball Fakes.

As a sister and mother of basketball players, I cheer whenever I see a good ball fake on the court. A ball fake is an intentional movement by the ball-handler to DECEIVE his defender and throw him OFF BALANCE, so he can get himself or a teammate a clear shot at the basket. If it’s done well, I salute the audacity of the ball-handler to fool his guard. 

Here are examples of a ball fake, if you're not into basketball.

Reveal hidden contents

200.gif#32

200.gif

But ball fakes aren’t only limited to experienced basketball players. A metaphorical ball fake can also be achieved by virtuoso writers and directors. The writer/director will try to distract the viewers from noticing clues -- for instance, by BURYING them in seemingly innocent actions, by using red herrings, or by dismissing them as jokes. 

They will redirect suspicion in order to advance their narrative, in the same manner the basketball player will fake out his defender to take a shot at the basket. In Episode 8, I think there were at least 5 such “ball fakes” done. I'll go over them as quickly as possible. But pace yourself; don't read everything in one go. I tend to give people eyestrain. :sweatingbullets: 

1. The first "ball fake" was the breaking of dishes.

Did you see it? 

From Episode 7, the viewers already know that the queen-in-training broke ceramic bowls. Then in Episode 8, the viewers see ET rushing to the living room at the sound of breaking ceramic. She spots Shin lying on the marble floor, and the Reaper sweeping away broken pieces. Now, the casual viewers will NOT SEE the connection between the broken bowls and the broken dish because they are NOT MEANT to notice anything amiss.

But the camera focuses on the Reaper’s broken dish twice: when he is sweeping the pieces and when he is dumping them in the trash. 

Reveal hidden contents

goblin%20broken_zpsobxxga8x.jpg?t=148277

Look: a director will not waste time and film footage spotlighting an insignificant object UNLESS it’s critical to the plot. Also, he will try to BURY the supposedly “insignificant” object in another on-going action so he can use it as a plot twist later on. So, what is the director trying to hide here? hmmm....

To me, the intent here is to deceive the viewers. They’ll add 1 + 1 together and assume cause-and-effect, namely: that Shin drops the dishes as he collapses to the ground, and that the Reaper cleans up after Shin. The viewers will NOT suspect a “ball fake” here.  You see, it’s possible that there are two separate, and non-related, events happening, namely: 1) Shin is lying on the ground to sleep off his exhaustion/pain and 2) the Reaper accidentally breaks the dishes HIMSELF which he proceeds to clean up.

(Like the Queen-in-training broke the bowls centuries ago.)

In fact, the demeanor of the Reaper suggests that he is neither surprised nor shocked to see Shin collapsed on the ground (because Shin did NOT collapse but instead, chose to lie down there). Moreover, ET’s gentle reproach that “adults shouldn’t be lying down to sleep anywhere” implies that she accepts that Shin CHOSE to sleep there.  He didn’t just lose consciousness and accidentally drop the dish as he collapses.

The "ball fake" here is to cover up the Reaper's and the queen's similar situation. If the viewers had seen the same breaking of the ceramics, they'd have sensed déjà vu

2. The second “ball fake” involved the mirror.  

This mirror --

Reveal hidden contents

goblin%20mirror_zpshi2x4jfj.jpg?t=148277

Often, critical viewers wonder why directors select certain shots and angles.  Here, I think it's noteworthy that the director suddenly stops doing close-up shots, and shoots the characters as viewed THROUGH this mirror.  Why?  

Here is the scene as it unfolds:

Reaper: I just feel like that I’ve seen her somewhere before.

(flashback of the queen smiling at Shin and getting shot by an arrow. Reaper and Shin exchange looks. Shin lowers the scroll from his shoulder. Camera changes from close-up view of their faces to a mirror shot. As the camera is focused on the mirror, Shin begins to speak.) 

Shin: And who is the woman you know that looks like her (his sister)?

See it, ?

The editing is cleverly and meticulously done, and that’s why to me, this is an intentional “ball fake.” The director is using a TV trope involving mirrors, that is, the mirror reflects the true answer.  Remember your Snow White and the magic mirror? The witch asks “Who’s the fairest one of all?” and the mirror reveals the truth and replies, “Snow White.”

Here, in our case, the Reaper wonders why the girl looks familiar and Shin asks him who does he think she is. The mirror holds the key: the girl looks familiar to the Reaper because he’s seen his OWN REFLECTION on a mirror before, while to Shin, the reflection on the mirror reveals HIS SISTER's image standing in front of him but he doesn't recognize her. 

Like the broken ceramic, the mirror is not an inconsequential prop. To me, the director is using the mirror to create a tension between what is viewed up-close (just two men talking) and what appears through the looking glass.

Later, when the Reaper tries to practice saying "big brother" on the other mirror and fails to do so, I thought the director is again reinforcing this idea of the mirror as a reflection of his true self.  The Reaper can't admit it because it's too mind-boggling for him to consider at the moment. 

3. The third “ball fake” is DH. 

Reveal hidden contents

At 21:37, he says “Dongsaeng” to the Reaper. 

The obvious interpretation here is that he is simply describing the relationship of Shin and his sister to the Reaper. Dramafever actually subbed it that way: “Oh, so it was a younger sister and not an older one.” But the other interpretation is he (unwittingly) calls the Reaper by his true identity, as in “you’re the donsaeng.” Like a slip of the tongue. 

Also, when DH proposes that the two men are siblings, they immediately shut it down with a threat to kill him. The viewers laugh it off, of course. Since DH is considered a fool in the story, whatever he comes out of his mouth is considered foolish. However, if we look at the script again we know that DH actually understands and ABSORBS situations faster than he appears to.  For instance, he discovers the identify of Shin before Shin tells him. And he also deduces the identity of the Reaper based on their encounters. So, for him to suggest that Shin and the Reaper are siblings isn’t too nonsensical as it appears. He may be onto something....

It’s possible that the writer/director are setting him up to show the "wisdom of fools".  He's a "ball fake."  Poor kid. :)

4. The fourth “ball fake” here is the name.  

To me, the names are a red herring or a misleading hint because as I've pointed to  the names can go either way. Wang Yeo is the King's name but reverse it and you have Yeowang, and that Korean word means queen (or according to wiki, a queen who rules without a King. :blink:)

But I know. I know.... People believe that the scene when Shin wrote their names is conclusive proof of the royal identities. And the writer/director certainly went all the way to give this impression in that calligraphy/lantern/stabbing scene. 

But I will have to disagree. Why? 

Because there’s ANOTHER way to interpret that scene.  The same “proof” or evidence can be used to bolster the counter-argument that the Reaper is the Queen, not the King.

This is the general consensus: 

a. Whenever the Reaper sees the Queen’s ring and the Queen’s painting, he cries because he remembers the pain he as the King inflicted upon his Queen. He regrets his actions. 

(Note: I question the theory that he regrets them, because there’s been no concrete evidence in the script, as of Episode 8, that he’s shown remorse.) 

b. With the calligraphy scene, the Reaper now feels pain as well when Shin writes his name down. Why? Because the Reaper is being “stabbed” by guilt or remorse with every stroke of the brush of Shin, since he banished Shin from Goryeo. 

(And again: I must point out that, as of Episode 8, there is NO scene, NO evidence in the kdrama that the King ever felt guilty or repentant for sending Shin to exile/death. This is conjecture, as of Episode 8.)

Now this is the counter-proposal. 

The Reaper cries when he sees the Queen’s ring because it is HIS, and he cries and clutches his chest when he sees the Queen’s painting because it is HIM. When Shin wrote the King’s name, Wang Yeo, he doubles up in in pain and clutches his chest because the King is the one who killed HIM, the former Queen. Shin is writing the name of his “killer,” and that’s why every brushstroke feels like an arrow piercing him

Do you see the simplicity of the counter-argument? The speculation about the guilt/remorse of the King doesn’t even come into play.  

But what about the name, you might ask? Sunny is Kim Sun and Shin definitely wrote Kim Sun for the queen’s name. 

True. But didn’t you hear Kim Shin’s previous names? In Episode 5, ET asks for his name, and he is silent for a while. Then, he lists the names he used before: Yoo Jung Shin, Yoo Jae Shin, Yoo Shin Jae.  Even his current name is different because in Episode 8, DH was surprised to know that his real name is Kim Shin, meaning he is NOT using/not known as Kim Shin at the present time.  

That’s the clue right there, . Names change over time. His name varied over the centuries but what remained constant was “Shin” meaning “god”.

I think this may be true for Sunny as well. Kim Sunny is her current name, but that does NOT mean that Kim Sun was the name she had throughout the centuries, in previous reincarnation. Like Shin, she may possess different names, but what will remain constant is the first name “Sun” -- or Sunny. I actually prefer her as Sunny. (And I told you right? That the Sun represents the King. lol) 

More ominously, Sunny herself REJECTS that name Kim Sun which was given to her by the fortuneteller because she feels it is goody-goody or too pure. I believe this is a foreshadowing.  

Okay, got to end here, and take a walk around the neighborhood before it gets too late. I've to get rid of excess pounds gained over the couple of days. Plus, I’ve got one more “ball fake” to explain… and it relates to a paradox so I’ve to clear my head first. See you 

Great insightful post again. It was an interessting read. Sorry I had to shorten it  and remove the tags.

About the highlighted part, in ep 3 there was a flashback of KS going back to the palace after being resurected. He found the dead king but, he also found a lot of paintings of the queen in the King´s room. If the king didn`t felt any kind of remorse, why would he be painting the queen?

Edited by Sarang21
misspelling
  • Like 12

sorry if this was posted already but OMO yaaaaaaa! he looks so cute!! hahahaha!

I think Kim So Hyun was filming her drama "Ruler: Master of the Mask" in these fan cams..the caption says so..

Spoiler

maybe her part in Goblin was done already or not?

& as always chingus! Thank you for all the updates :kiss_wink: 2 days more to goooooooooooo!

• Like 11