[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

45 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

The subs said..

His junior says something along the lines of..

Does he even know what he just did (touched a grime reaper).. heavens will punish him in a month's time..

( if it is about seeing past life.. then GR shud have said sthg.. but GR didn't.. his junior did.. who never touched the guy.. so less chance of him talking about bad karma)

GR then says. to let it go.. and hope that deity doesn't punish him..

I am just wondering if there is more to it the touching rules, it is still not clear if it was because he touched a reaper or maybe pickpocket guy upcoming death? What about the grim reaper that ran off with his wife? They haven't really gone into detail about grim reapers powers and what they can and cannot do so I am interested in finding out what will happen with Grim and Sunny.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, shynaz said:

@littleloony actually this is my first time I follow Gy drama but in film I have watched Train To Busan.So I dont know background drama Gy include coffee prince.So I love how Gy acting this goblin..He make goblin so alive and also when he is pain we want care to goblin.Thats the power Gy in this drama.GY ...you have new fan right now...its me:wub:

Gong yoo was my 1st crush... hehehhe... i watched all of his drama and some of his movie ( i'm not a movie person).. my 1st gong yoo drama was  BISCUIT TEACHER and STAR CANDY.. he was very great as a student  that fall in love with his teacher( gong hyo jin)..until now, i still rewatch the drama... thats how good the drama is for me..

• Like 10

That last twist at the end is such a WOWSA! One must die for the other to live - man that is some cruel fate (and of course, gave me a big Harry Potter vibe LOL but I like the twist) but I am sure there is more to this. There is for sure loop-hole to this since they have to end up together or else, viewers will riot LOL!

Won't address the twist much since it is a cruel fate to place on the Goblin's bride, that she must pull it out. Could've of warn the guy not to get feeling tangle up. I'll just prepare my tissue since this twist and Eun-Tak finding out the truth to what happen if the sword is pull will allow them to face their feelings more. Currently it is Shin who is falling in love for Eun Tak whereas I am still wondering where Eun Tak feeling lies deep down. There are moments that she does feel for him but then there are moment of their bickering that it leaves me wondering if she see him as family since being the Goblin bride gives her a sense of belonging that she didn't have originally (given she really never have anyone caring or loving her, or even feel that family love since her mother die). Either face their feeling or go noble idiocy for a couple episode which I don't mind if they place the focus over to reaper.

Any who, I am almost curious about the secretary statement when he appear outside, wondering aloud that "a man who doesn't age" I don't think they would put just that second of scene in there to mean nothing at all. It definitely gives me an ominous feeling and the moment he said that, I honestly jump into thinking he is the reincarnate Eunuch who had poison the King's mind, bringing Shin and his family demise. Definitely make me have a completely different feeling towards him now.

As for reaper, I feel like his name will be the magic word to reawaken his memories. To see him in pain when Shin write the King name I am assuming. I think that is the key as from the time he met Sunny, he been constantly searching for a name. A reaper without a name. The name of his true self is mostly the key that will awaken his memories. And it is definitely interesting that Sunny sit and count to 50 before heading home. 50, is that the number of sin that was committed by the king? 50, the number of people that were slaughter in Shin's household? 

I am definitely curious and cannot wait for Shin to meet Sunny. I don't think he'll go without meeting Sunny, right? When he was talking with reaper about his sister, there was that hope in his face of the possibility that his sister has been reincarnated. So there is the possiblities of them meeting each other and him discovering reaper's past? If so, will he prevent them from being together given the suffering and pain that his sister had to go through and not wanting things to be a repeat of their past?

And what is Granny Shim intention of bring all the major party together in this time - having the reaper meet Sunny? Having Eun-Tak being the Goblin's bride? Having Goblin and Reaper become involve with each other? 

Ah, there is so much question I need answered to!!!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, selenette said:

@gutibear

RE. THE WHITE LANTERN

@azuri There is a lantern festival in Korea where people send lanterns to the sky, with their wishes handwritten on the lanterns. 

From watching Moonlight Drawn by The Clouds, I found that we could also wish to meet someone whom we hadn't seen for a long time.

But the lanterns are usually colorful. Kim Shin's was white. Why is that?

The color white is associated with death and sadness in Korean culture. Outside, it symbolizes cleanliness, innocence, etc.

So why did Kim Shin release his white lantern to the sky? Imho it was his wish to meet those two again: Kim Sun and Wang Yeo. He also wished to settle whatever debts he had in failing to save Kim Sun, and (perhaps, although he wouldn't admit it)... to save Wang Yeo, too, from the path of cruelty.

The white lantern shows that yes, Kim Shin grieved for their deaths (in spite of what he said about resenting the King for 900 years, and despite the remaining grudge). He mourned the loss of these two young people, whose starcrossed love story was as sad as his own.

@selenette Sorry to cut your post though. 

Thank you very much for sharing this information. So it was his way of showing that he still thinks and mourns their death. Our KS is indeed a softie. Haha. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

The subs said..

His junior says something along the lines of..

Does he even know what he just did (touched a grime reaper).. heavens will punish him in a month's time..

( if it is about seeing past life.. then GR shud have said sthg.. but GR didn't.. his junior did.. who never touched the guy.. so less chance of him talking about bad karma)

GR then says. to let it go.. and hope that deity doesn't punish him..

@enigmatic_zephy actually I have noticed this scene with picpocket guy as well. Something really strange in those lines junior GR said. Idk about the 1 month period. I haven't heard it. But KS has forseen that guys death. Maybe this death has been called by GR's thouch. I have tried to remember all scenes where GR could touch someone and I remembered scene in ep 7 when KS saves GR from jail. Then DH comes and they're talking about business card. Then GR pushes a bit DH by his shoulder and leaves. So he has touched him by his shoulder. If the theory that GR's touch may bring death is right, then with DH it's richard simmons up of production. But I feel that it may be something else which prevents GR of touching others, not only the fact that he sees previous life.

but even if he it's the only reason, if he will kiss Sunny (or simply touches) he will see her previous life as a Queeen and here the rea;l angst and tragedy for their couple will begin. So no happy scenes for them are forseen...at all. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, itzibitzispider said:

There you go ... I am so proud of your suporting the promoter, my dear sugarpea

I just imagine Kim Shin buy to me... but  hope kim Shin not stingy to me:w00t:

I just ok all products..When I watch full episode its just 3 minutes of this drama..

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

@nearsea we were at W from beginning till the end, so somewhere we knew roughtly what happened there... the W script was originally meant to be 16 eps, then writernim Song Jaejung wrote about 17 eps, it was LIVE filming style. Those who loved Yoo In-na should be familiar with SJJ wrote 'Queen In-hyun's man' which is sort of YIN's signature drama. she wrote some of the very romantic scene, but was cut of, seem the Production crew has some power in deciding what to chop off even if it is written already, but the big saga which put W-fans off is the many changes and new rules formed, which created two extreme groups there, one to extremely loved W dearly, and another group who dropped W mid-show when it became too complicated and most important when the Main Male Character written to wake up from a dream and became a complete nature person, making the OTP relationship not so 'funny and chemistry' (which i beg to disagree). and Producer went to cut scenes which make the W drama less interesting, when W fans were thinking not enough explaination by drama end about many plot holes and rules un-explained.

i hope TvN will be extra grace in trusting Kim Eunsook and give her the liberty to soar, give her extra eps to add-on if she need, and don't mind cost or whatsoever... schedule can change, certain programme or other dramas can be arrange to push later, when a show is worthy to add ep, something as complicated as W or even Goblin, when needs be, should have extension, if there are not enough time to explain variables, and new rules formed, and also no enough time to develop OTP or Second Lead Couple relationship... say if fans take to Second Lead surprisingly well, and there are no enough skinship / loving scene between 2nd Leads.. or many key-questions/mysteries of drama left un-answered by drama end, fans will be disappointed, and Writernim will have to come out to apologise or Production crew will have to say something by end of drama, which is sad. those who stay on did loved W to pieces..

i know , as i read around some other blogger or recap site, when it came to Mid-length of a drama, there are always some Chief-popular Blogger Recap-site who started to rant against the drama, Goblin will have his fair shares of haters and new anti-fans, or biased recappers who started ranting against certain characters of Goblin, eg ranting against KS or ET.... so be it> i knew for sure, every drama will have an amount of anti-female-leads fans that started to rant against the female lead for all kinds of reasons, (its maybe an Asia-dramas- thing that there will always be more female-lead haters than more male-lead haters... ?)
we are to stay, we couldnt be shaken, even if some started to waver. Goblin soar, how often do you find 4 leads in such harmony, not threatening each other's characters in the dramas, and 4 leads characters does NOT wander into a triangle-relationship or 4-angles-relationship.
i am so so so glad that Reaper is not written to fall for ET and create a triangle relationship, neither is Yoo Deok-hwa supposed to fight for ET, so is Sunny not written to fight for KS... how i loved that, that Fans are not led to create 2 Ships fighting, eg. Reply88 and Cheese in trap, where 2 diff Ships each wants the Main female Lead to love their female character and in the end, one of the ship left heart broken...
i am not siding any ship of Reply88 or CheeseITT... but i saw the saga, and was glad Kim EunSook's dramas always don't have such strong dilemma, she has better senses.

and one important thing, when needs be, and not out of fans' pressures, Production team should factor in enough time/week to squeeze in added- eps, there should be enough space between airing of 2 dramas not to make 2 dramas placed back to back in schdule that Production team cannot add-eps, or add-Special-eps. and Production team also should not change any plot due to fans' pressure, or certain main Characters loosing fans-supports to add screen-times for characters that gain surprising fans-praises.

Goblin, is now mid-length, May it goes out with the same Bang, as it start with a Bang, from the well lauded Cinematography, sites-choosing of Quebec, the moving OST, to the well mentioned Literatures, heart-moving or philosophical dialogue (quotes of Leads) / clever intro of Products Placements / humourous bickering / not-triangle relationship-angst / not to forget the well castings of the skilled Actors/Actresses in the 4 leads  and the in a diff league Chemistry between the Leads.... all the elements fix like jigsaw puzzles, and moved and played like a Master-piece in a famed Orchestral's piece. hope Goblin play well until the next 8 eps end.

Im big fan of W.Its true I dropped to W after episode 12 may.Im still not watch finale w until now.I understand of their story but when have others people change it make me worst that time.Thay last drama before I be here again in goblin thread.

I believe tvn will not follow other stations who have power to change originality this drana.I also like tvn didnt promote this drama as best drama.They dependa audience to decide is better or not.

I believe writer know until ending..We here support you.I think must have something reason why she choose as tvn to make goblin.We are very lucky although we have 16 episode sometimes episode more than one hours...:wub:

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, jentayue said:

Gong yoo was my 1st crush... hehehhe... i watched all of his drama and some of his movie ( i'm not a movie person).. my 1st gong yoo drama was  BISCUIT TEACHER and STAR CANDY.. he was very great as a student  that fall in love with his teacher( gong hyo jin)..until now, i still rewatch the drama... thats how good the drama is for me..

After goblin finished I will watch dramas of Gy.I just know from Train to Busan only but I watch 3times in cinema.Thats hope he will comeback that film.

Now we so lucky he accept goblin..I wish hope we can see messy hair again..:wub:

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

Just a thought cross my mind... do you think Sunny/reaper love story was portrayed more of lust? They are both attracted to each other by looks.

I think it's because even though they can't remember, they still feel each other, like Reaper himself said. Since they feel each other, they feel that they loved each other...I think that's why they came to like each other without knowing much and spending much time together.

Ah, just got emotional. My beautiful sad otp :tears:

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Princi_86 said:

@bubblegumpops love your nick. It reminds me my favourite line from one of my favorite drama "Bubblegum".^^ I have watched Bubblegum almost year ago and YIN hasn't appeared herself in drama that's for sure. But some says her voice has appeared in drama since she was Dj herself of most high rated radio program ever in Korea. And since the leading girl (Haeng Ah) in Bubblegum was radio PD it can be true that she was listening to YIN show. I'm in the middle of Bubblegum (re watching) right now so I will try to find it. So far here is how YIN appeared in Bubblegum phisically:

Reveal hidden contents

And the way she has interacted with Lee Dong Wook...somehow :))

LDW is taking selca with his future co-star lol 9actually he was taking selca with Sang Seok Jun (second lead who was Dj in drama):

Reveal hidden contents

And I have posted it before in LDW's thread but will post here as well. I have found many connections with Bubblegum in Goblin. I have guess that KES can be friends with Bubblegum's writer or she simply liked that drama (and I can totally understand her):

Connections with Bubblegum in Goblin:

- Grim Reaper was watching Bubblegum 2 times already

- Lasse Lindh has written OST for both Bubblegum and Goblin. 

Reveal hidden contents

- ET's mom is Park Hee Von who has played second lead in Bubblegum

- ET's child actress was playing main female lead's from Bubblegum (Haeng-Ah) in childhood

- New girl in ET's class is played in Bubblegum (the daughter of Aunt Princess from "Secret Garden"). Who knows maybe she's the same character and we'll get crossover.

- ET is listening to Hang-Ah's (main lead in Bubblegum) radio program in Goblin

- ET wants to be a radio PD same as Hang-Ah (lead in Bubblegum)

It's all I have noticed so far.

@Princi_86 since you mentioned, so as well i bring this up. ;hahaha. infact beside seeing W-variables shadows here, i do see other drama's shadow here, but above all, Goblin's melo and music keep reminding me of Bubblegums. no wonder i forget Lasse Lindh is also the one who wrote Bubblegum's 'Because', both OST has this very arty slight sense of melancholic feels, like a sad mid-noon sippling tea watching fallen leaves of an autumn... that kind of not very dramatic nor strong nor demanding feels, but tint of aching sadness drift down and landed on your lap like a fallen leaf.... Bubblegum and Goblin OST both have these feels.
i truly loved that Bubblegum's pcs, which is very similar to Goblin's, both are not intoxicating Wine, but are like sippling green-tea...
pls see spoiler for  a clip on Bubblegum and listen for yourself:

Spoiler

above, bubblegum, "because"... i loved the lyrics of both songs

and the OST that is drifting sadness like a fallen silent maple leaf... "Hush".:"cause your love is falling on my heart and iam falling for you, falling with broken wings again..."

Who I am, in Eng Sub.

https://ilyricsbuzz.com/2016/12/sam-kim-who-are-you-goblin-ost.html

"Who are you, Where are you?
i will surely find you. I will recognise you,
where you are,  whatever you look like,
i will surely recognise you, i will surely remember you...
i will look at you, even without you. thru the countless sunsets, i will not forget you...
the way you talked and your expressions...i'll treasured them.....
i beg for life....
i will surely find you.
I will recognise you,
where you are,  whatever you look like,
i will surely recognise you, i will surely remember you...
i will look at you, even without you. thru the countless sunsets, i will not forget you...
when i hold you like this, i forget about everything again... you are the place i have to return to...
the way you talked and your expressions...i'll treasured th
em.....

(one sentence stand out, heart rendingly, "I beg for life...." this is how earnestly he fought to stay beside her, so that one day he can say 'i love you' to her

• Like 20

Hi everyone...This is my very first post here after become silent reader 

I'm not sure whether anyone already mention this before, I just realize something after re-re-re-rewatching ep 7 and 8. I think the sword handle is different. In the beginning ep 7 (when ET failed grabbing) the sword handle look clean. But in the end ep 7 (when KS feel pain and ET finally grab it) the sword handle was wrapped with bloody bandage. Do you think there's another meaning about that?

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

Just a thought cross my mind... do you think Sunny/reaper love story was portrayed more of lust? They are both attracted to each other by looks.

@kaqueski I will post pic in reply. What? Pardon? 

G0uat_P2jk_N4.jpg

Are we watching same drama? ;))) They have fate and destiny connection and sad love story (it has been mentioned even by the Deity to junior GR) and it's not related to their looks. It's just coincidence that both have God and Goddess looks which belongs to actors actually. That's also my they're called Visual Couple. Do you think that GR hasn't seen beautiful, even extremely beautiful woman in his loooong life? They have connection from their past life when they were King and Queen. And I don't think it's because King and Queen have been beautiful in their part lifes :phew:

• Like 11

META
Beans of Wisdom: Choose your ending
by DB Staff | December 25, 2016 | 5 Comments

Sylvia helpfully lists the possible endings for Goblin in “The Lonely Shining Goblin: Episode 5” comment #7.1.4:

1. Bittersweet ending: he dies, but leaves her enough emotional and material substance to live out a good life. She does well and eventually finds peace. His spirit is there to greet her in the tearoom when she dies at a ripe old age.

me: Don't want it!!

2. Happily Ever After: they find a way around the curse; writer pulls a deus ex machine and have Divinity (Lee El?) decide to change the rules … because, duh, Divinity makes up the rules in the first place. We want OTP to be happy, OTP wants to be happy, and the true Divinity (writer KES) wants OTP happy. So happy ending we get.

me: pretty pleaaaaaaaaaaase!! 

3. Early hallyu melo ending: almost everyone dies. Reaper finds out he was the silly king; out of guilt he jumps off cliff. Goblin dies when the sword is removed. Eun Tak gets the dreaded cancer because her fate was terminal in the first place. Sunny moves to Australia and opens a new chicken shop.

me: NOOOOO!! 

4. The narrative loophole ending: OTP is technically separated, but through some kind of narrative loophole or just plain re-framing, they are shown together in a different lifetime or dimension, proving they are Fated To Be No Matter the Time and Place.

me: don't like it!!

5. The open ending: closes on an artistic MV-like sequence showing some ambiguous scenes or scenarios, so viewers can decide themselves what happened, and narrative is open for sequal season 2.

me: NO OPPEN ENDING!!

Of these I guess I prefer option 2? but 1 is ok too. Options 4 & 5 would make me flip tables, while 3 would just be amusing.
But truly, deep inside I want KES to do better this time and surprise us with none of the above.

While Miranda shows some love for the Reaper in comment #9.2.1:

It’s exactly the Reaper’s style of off-kilter deadpan that’s got me completely hooked! When he’s talking, his face is usually completely flat and emotionless, but when he’s NOT talking his face goes wild transmitting all of his thoughts – I especially loved him watching the morning drama.

It feels like he’s been out of the human loop for so long that he’s gone glitchy. He interacts with people at the absolute worst, most disorienting time of their lives and has to calmly and swiftly move them along, almost as a non-presence. But at the same time he’s stuck doing literal paperwork, documenting his expenses and having to scrape together money for rent… But not having any real friends or interactions outside of work, where he’s apparently pretty senior.

I love that he’s out of sync within himself and has been reading the same script for so long that he’s basically forgotten other words. Eun Taek is helping with that a bit, in that with more than one input source he’s starting to have to tailor his reactions, but the Reaper overall is one of my favorite pieces of this drama.

Sylvia adds:

Agree with your description. Basically Goblin and Reaper are gay dads raising a kid called Eun Tak and her up-to-no-good cousin Deuk Hwa. Goblin tries to be Cool Dad, while Reaper is the ajumma-with-a-perm mother.

Yumi points out a nice thought in “The Lonely Shining Goblin: Episode 6” comment #5.1.3:

It’s kind of interesting than that the man’s blindness remained after he crossed over. I’m use to the idea of infirmities disappearing in the afterlife.

pickledplumtree:

Yes, I thought that was interesting too. I was surprised by it, but I liked it for some reason. Happy was the happiness he needed, more than sight! <3 <3 <3

read: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/12/beans-of-wisdom-choose-your-ending/

• Like 10

10 hours ago, kaqueski said:

In Korean folklore, there is Samshin grandmother, who is a god in charge of birth and death of humans. She's a powerful one, she created Euntaek because she warns ET's mother ahead and told ET's mother to sincerely pray when in trouble, that's how Goblin heard it and save her. That's why everyone is her child, like Goblin also said he was born as Kim Shin who is also her child. 

We see throughout that the lady in red is always helping children, being guardian. 

I think this article will explain it more perfectly:

Reveal hidden contents

The reason why the grandmother in Goblin sometimes appear as a woman

It's not because that's her power or supertition or anything else, it depends on the age of the person who sees her.
She looks like a grandmother to kids (up to17 years old..?) and women who are pregnant, and she looks like a woman to adults.

downloadfile%2B%25281%2529.jpeg
Sungjae saw her as a grandmother when he was still a student and she appeared as a young woman in his eyes when he turned into an adult.

Y9ZQXgn7a_-RSpaq9sXvsOoHRygHPPbUTnZ28ewqC5U5kEasLR45O8jZFxEU96-agSPvasgMvGywVp7b69YTApHliSPXVSGs5MkwbzUoDeqckhPLejfJpybXHIGSOcqqjztrp1jE_w=s0-d
That's why that girl she met in the hospital greeted her "Hello, grandma!". 

And she appeared as a grandmother in Goeun's mother's eyes because she was pregnant at that time..

there posible truth ,eun tak is fave of birth grandmother as she saved her twice,when her mother got accident and saved by goblin and when grim reaper want to take her at 9.or maybe she doing the favors for goblin,so he can meet his bride (eun tak),thats fate for both of them.

9 hours ago, 12blbl said:

I think the lady in red is more like a guardian for children, since her scenes mostly involved helping children whether she's directly interfering their life and death or not ( they didn't show whether the sick boy in the hospital alive or not after she touched the boy's forehead) but her action in general was reducing the suffering of the children.

Though i don't know why she's meddling with the grim reaper and sunny, was it because they related to the Goblin who in relation with ET, since she was ET's guardian.

My theory is her warning to goblin prob because Goblin was meddling human's destiny by changing the future and that can cause more danger ahead.

Somehow ET's mark fading and her faith changing involving in the bus accident when she shouldn't be, began when he shoved her away to prevent her pulling the sword. Interesting...

about goblin meddling human esp eun tak ,there possible changes if when eun tak didnt meet kim shin at bus stop the accident still happen but eun tak are still alive. There possible fate changed at that point,they are bickering,wasted time and the variable that grim reaper said because goblin is near eun tak are come true. kim shin said she sees eun tak at age 29,kim shin sees the bus accident but theres no eun tak,maybe all changes because goblin meddling the situasion and made birth grandmother mad so he must die !

• Like 11