[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

11 hours ago, lorac529 said:

Agree writer-nim would not wasted precious room in the storyline and the fact that ET has to be the first and last bride.

I'm not good with analysis but out of my imagination, I wonder if the ghost can change appearance like the red lady (from old to young...and young to old). If ghost can change their appearance, can this ghost be Eun Tak's mom (who is missing) but in younger appearance?  

Or I wonder if the ghost's car accident has to do with the death of ET's mom.

Also, since ET's mom is a missing soul, does it mean she will meet the GR again at age 29 or 39?  So she died at age 29 or 39?

Why is ET's mom a missing soul? Where did they mention that? Did GR mention that to her during the first few meetups?

• Like 5

“She’s pretty if you look hard enough.”
Ep 8, was the pivotal point in the life of the Goblin and his Bride. Goblin transformed from being just the cold, indifference, self-centred Goblin to the warm, sensitive selfless Groom. Let’s see how the Groom defrosting himself before her, while interacting with her, little by little from beginning of ep8. (will touch on the Bride next week, if God’s willing I have sufficient time)

Spoiler

“I’m glad”
Goblin’s demeanor never changed as usual, but you got to look beyond the obvious, still a man of little words when he’s serious, only when come to bickering, he’ll drown you with words. Touched that ET first word upon back to consciousness was asking whether ahjussi is well. This girl, tiny as a violet drifting like petals, bouncing off from the heaven and earth in his inner space, messing up his entire universe… just almost killed by him, yet not grudgingly chide him, but so selflessly sought for his well-being. Thus he apologized to have startled her, even admitted that he was glad. Hurt and wounded, but nonetheless, he was glad honestly, that she is the Bride afterall. As genuine and honest as that “I love you” confession given at ep5, so is his “I’m glad” being an honest answer to how he should feel that finally its confirmed that she’s the Predestinated Bride. Defrosting started long ago, but by ep8, knowing both her identity confirm and her love felt, speed up the thawing of a 900 yrs ice-berg.

“Don’t go.”
Next, collapsing on the floor, appearing lame and helpless before the Reaper is something unthinkable for proud Goblin who will never wants to look weak before his Best Bickering Partner. But he even allow ET to see him in his most vulnerable state, with a little indulgence of the tender-loving care of a wifey putting hubby to sleep. “My First love hurt me really badly”, was a giant baby step, to introduce to Bride this One-True-First-Love. He gotta whinned alittle isn’t it? Every man (even if you are the mighty goblin) loves to steal some pampering from the woman he loved. So did he enjoyed talking about her, how much he admired her, adored her, how bright and pretty that she makes him wanted to live. Men loves to boast about the woman they loved right.
Then he asked her “Don’t go”, when both conversation were totally about the pretty first-love. He started to learn to hint, something that couples does and enjoyed doing. Aha. While she is still talking about girl-band-group kind of prettiness, His ideal of “pretty and beauty” is unlike those young-pretty-popular Girl-band groups young things, he looks right into her characters, her genuine smile, that spark in her eyes, her un-pretense demeanor. One day. One day he will tell her how pretty she is every day. Sleeping together on that cold-hard floor, is his ideal of a beautiful night.

“Are you jealous?”
Discovery of her jealousy was a new found enjoyment. Isn’t he always at the beginning, doesn’t care whether how she felt before, jealous or not…  How he enjoyed poking and leading her to reveal more and more about her feels, which has never been well-hiden in the first place. You poked her a little, and she goes splashing and bitting, in the process she exposed all her heart, he liked it, no! He loved it. Bickering with Bride is different from bickering with Buddy reaper. KS do not know how to feel, exuberance to discover trace of her jealousy, or the trace of unrest that will it be true that first true love don’t work “Who says first loves don’t work out? I don’t like that.”

“yes, I was happy the whole day.”
just like the sweet hubby that will ran to the bus stop to fetch the scarf that wifey left behind in the sittingroom. He did that, not so hard to quench the anger-fire / or jealousy fire in her, right? This Euntak is that easy to dealt with, because that is his EunTak, forgiving, real, genuine, simple! But he afterall did make that first move to reconcile, it’s a great feat for a cold proud self-centred goblin. Talking about jealousy again. But when EunTak admitted, as she also took her baby step forward, not denying her jealousy. .”(by now, none of them bothered to hide, to deny, to be coy. Actually did not they started to enjoy the little pull and tug, give and take … the little confessions and fighting. Confession by ‘exposeding your feels, does make one ‘high’ sometimes…)
ET “Are you happy I’m jealous?” KS “yes, I was happy the whole day.”
(This is more than silent being agreeing, this is nothing short of confession. Was she looking for traces that her jealousy did affected him? Maybe, say maybe he is enjoying her jealousy? Which means something else other than indifference towards her right? Since he took a baby step forward, she took hers forward too.) I loved watching OTP that started to be honest with each other’s feels.

“Having to like you, I couldn’t be more foolish…”
if you don’t call that a Real Direct Confession, I don’t know what does it call. After a confrontation with the “butterfly”. KS confessed further to ET “I really don’t like this. Having to like you, I couldn’t be more foolish…”(doing more foolish things for her sake….) . that is one of the Best scene in ep8, beside the sleeping on the floor scene and the end asking from Above 100 yrs more his true-love scene. Goblin evolved from subtle to direct. I really loved it, when Euntak goes giggling-silly over the confession.

“and I like you.”
Now, I hope, in somewhere near future, maybe at the snow scene, he will confess to her directly this “you are my life, and my death. And I like you. Thus I keep this secret and ask above for permission. May you not know for one more day. May you not know for 100 more days.” Leave you to your imagination, how Euntak will feel upon hearing this, and how KimShin will feel upon witnessing her gratification of gaining his affection. Both Kim shin and EunTak (esp KS) has taken lots of baby steps to reach this stages, where its almost dawn how each feel for the other, it is just short of the classic "I Love You'.. Hope the end of ep8 will not send both back to Point One. Please don't, our very "Above", Kim Eunsook, i want to hear the breathe-taking 'I love you' from both of them.

• Like 24

51 minutes ago, winterdew said:

@Princi_86 Chingu, thanks for your post! I enjoyed reading it and gained many new insights from it ^^ Will share my thoughts on it as well!

On whether the Grim Reaper is the King or the Queen...

Thanks for pointing out the parallels between Wang Yeo and Kim Shin's sufferings. I love how this was artistically rendered--that they both suffer from pain in the heart/chest, but one is physical and the other, emotional. I also felt that the fact that he was overcome with sadness and cried upon seeing the scroll was a huge clue that he was the King and Sunny, the Queen. Like some of you guys have pointed out here, it'd be odd if he were crying on seeing a portrait of himself. I thought it was akin to someone seeing a photo of a loved one who has passed on and crying as a result. Also, if I didn't remember wrongly, the camera pans to Sunny in that same scene.

Whether Wang Yeo was a cruel king...

Advisor: Your Majesty reigns over his people and it’s said your Majesty is controlled by a divinity. Apparently, this divinity is Kim Shin. The news of his victory deceives your people and his power is continuously a threat to the royal family. You must govern strictly over this man.

Kim Shin: He clearly saw the enemies’ swords which threatened his life. However, he did not see the jealous young king’s fear. He did not realise that it was the sharpest sword that threatened his life.

The King then went on to label Kim Shin's action as treason and proceeded to kill him, his family, and many others. The fact that the word "jealous" was used to describe the King makes me think that his order to kill was motivated partly by his emotions and is thus considered a sin. Why KS' victory is seen as deceiving the people... it's confusing, because we did see that KS was indeed the rightful victor of the battle. But maybe it was his belief that KS' power is a threat to the royal family was one of the reasons why the King wanted to send him away, to protect him from anyone in his family who might want KS dead.

Do make a note that the jealous king - its not a drama's quote or writer's or a neutral observers..

Its Kim Shin saying that king was jealous.. it is his interpretation of what happened... and has served as a perfect device for many viewers to jump to conclusion that king was indeed jealous and thus feared KS..

but i bet that is not the case .. as  a neutral narrator interpretation hasn't yet come into the picture... n i am sure if our granny likes gr then there was a legit reason for wat king did n why

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

“She’s pretty if you look hard enough.”
Ep 8, was the pivotal point in the life of the Goblin and his Bride. Goblin transformed from being just the cold, indifference, self-centred Goblin to the warm, sensitive selfless Groom. Let’s see how the Groom defrosting himself before her, while interacting with her, little by little from beginning of ep8. (will touch on the Bride next week, if God’s willing I have sufficient time)

Sorry to cut your posts but this post is LOVE, literally. 

Dokkaebi is already sure of his feelings and he has hinted at them (on the floor where he tells Eun Tak that his first love hurt him (by pulling the sword). Eun Tak is as blur as ever as to who Dokkaebi is referring to and can only seethe in jealousy over this 'unknown real bride'.

Eun Tak is pretty sure she is the bride but when she was unable to pull it out in the buckwheat fields, doubts crept in. WHAT IF SHE WASN'T THE REAL BRIDE??!! She keeps asking for reassurance that she would not be kicked out and our stingy Dokkaebi took back the gifts (lol). 

I love how the cards are laid on the table. Dokkaebi knows more about Eun Tak and Samshin halmoni has now put the ball back into his court. What will you do, dokkaebi? And the same for Eun Tak. Now you know the truth (as all who assumes is the truth) about the sword, the ball is also in your court. What will you do, Eun Tak?

Honestly, if I were Eun Tak, I would also run and hide to prevent myself from killing the person I love. His life would literally be in my hands. Even if Eun Tak knew the consequences of not pulling the sword, I think she would just smile her big smile and accept the fate in front of her. She is already thankful for a life she is not supposed to have and would sacrifice herself. :tears:

I can't wait for tonight because this will be the next step in their relationship. And with Dokkaebi and his bride stronger together, I think they will be able to weather the storm which is Grim and Sunny, the reincarnated souls of the King and Queen. 

Side note about the ghost girl - If she is still hanging around, does that mean she still has unresolved issues? We still have two of Eun Tak's ghost friends (who seem to have two newbies - a schoolboy and another woman) who are still in the neighbourhood. Actually would this mean that the ghosts are also missing souls since they have not yet been reaped? (Maybe I need to watch Arang and the Magistrate again....haha)

• Like 15

@jellybellymonster I am interesting. LOL! :lol: But I am waiting for my other book to arrive first, then if it's a success, I'll purchase the poetry and calligraphy book. Lol! You're not influencing me, I am way ahead of you. Lol! Already thought about getting the book for Goblin. I love collecting these books from dramas.

@aurelly yes, that's how I feel now, too. Make sure we get a happy ending or do you want to DIE?! LOL! Poor DH, all he wants is his credit card. 

@ucylucy the picture you put up. I laughed soo hard. Before and after marriage. :lol: Hahahaha! It's too creative and good. Thanks for sharing.

Episode 9 hurry up and come out already! 

• Like 8

@winterdew yeah.. that's absolutely my question from the very first time. Wang Yeo wasn't reincarnating to be a grim reaper not like Kim Sun did. God punishes Wang Yeo to be a grim reaper as we know Grim reaper's character is soft-hearted. And I dont think that soft-hearted man was a cruel king in his past life. Let's just wait when will the writer reveal it for sure.

@bubblegumpops ET's mom is a missing soul because when she was pregnant and almost died from hit 'n run, Goblin saved her so that she can deliver ET safely. And Grim Reaper came late after that...So he failed to picked up their souls

• Like 9

8 hours ago, itzibitzispider said:

There should be a reward ... or something like "one hand washes the other" ... like as the 4 ghosts helped her with information and the evil classmate, she tried to help them in return.
So far the library ghost did "just" chat with her and be her friend ... ok, I think that is good, too, as she is the only ghost so far that did not request anything from her, just was there ...

I want her to visit Paju and help that girl to rest in peace

About the library ghost mentioned "Paju" to Eun Tak, I just came watch the Ep 1 again ( and yes, I watch it again for the 3rd time hahaha). When ET followed KS thru the door to Canada, ET wondering where they are, and she ask him "Are we in Paju ? Is this the English Village?". Actually I don't really understand and don't have any idea if there is any meaning behind this (that Paju had been mentioned two times), or maybe it was just coincidence. Anyone here has analysis about this maybe?

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

Sorry to cut your posts but this post is LOVE, literally. 

Dokkaebi is already sure of his feelings and he has hinted at them (on the floor where he tells Eun Tak that his first love hurt him (by pulling the sword). Eun Tak is as blur as ever as to who Dokkaebi is referring to and can only seethe in jealousy over this 'unknown real bride'.

Eun Tak is pretty sure she is the bride but when she was unable to pull it out in the buckwheat fields, doubts crept in. WHAT IF SHE WASN'T THE REAL BRIDE??!! She keeps asking for reassurance that she would not be kicked out and our stingy Dokkaebi took back the gifts (lol). 

I love how the cards are laid on the table. Dokkaebi knows more about Eun Tak and Samshin halmoni has now put the ball back into his court. What will you do, dokkaebi? And the same for Eun Tak. Now you know the truth (as all who assumes is the truth) about the sword, the ball is also in your court. What will you do, Eun Tak?

Honestly, if I were Eun Tak, I would also run and hide to prevent myself from killing the person I love. His life would literally be in my hands. Even if Eun Tak knew the consequences of not pulling the sword, I think she would just smile her big smile and accept the fate in front of her. She is already thankful for a life she is not supposed to have and would sacrifice herself. :tears:

I can't wait for tonight because this will be the next step in their relationship. And with Dokkaebi and his bride stronger together, I think they will be able to weather the storm which is Grim and Sunny, the reincarnated souls of the King and Queen. 

Side note about the ghost girl - If she is still hanging around, does that mean she still has unresolved issues? We still have two of Eun Tak's ghost friends (who seem to have two newbies - a schoolboy and another woman) who are still in the neighbourhood. Actually would this mean that the ghosts are also missing souls since they have not yet been reaped? (Maybe I need to watch Arang and the Magistrate again....haha)

@NRGchick that was the first blow that she receive from Reaper Wang Yeo, but is it this cruel truth that bringforth the 'running away" or that even more deadly truth as Her being "fated" to die fatally if she refuse to carry out her predestinated duty. to know that she was destined to 'kill' him was cruel. but the easiest solution is to run away. if no one find her, he will die... then it will be just another unfinished business... the wound may not heal as he will never part from that sword, so will his heart's wound and her heart's wound. But that's just that. 
the tricky part come when she got to learn from the hidden cruel truth beyond the last one she heard from Wang Yeo. means she will face impending fatal death if she resist pulling the sword, and it shall not be peaceful death but intense and dramatic. which is something she will not want Kim Shin to bear with for the next lapse of his immortality life. to remember that is his 'curse', to remember the grudges and the wrongs he went thru is his 'curse".. but to remember his loved one lost her life refusing to end his, will be his deepest pain, worst than what he suffered for 939 years. this will not be something easy for EunTak to decide. to save his life is easy if it call for her not to see him anymore and be separated forever. But to have him witness her death is another depth in cruelty.
@NRGchick
yes, like yourself, "I can't wait for tonight because this will be the next step in their relationship. " yes, tonight or tomorrow's will we see the next giant step they made in relationship. hopefully, a kiss. (not a light peck, i want a french kiss, deep and intense.)

• Like 11

2 hours ago, ireumimolla said:

Being competitive behind-the-scenes lol.

They were doing stretching and KGE could touch hands behind her back.

GY: How can you do that so easily? *takes a closer look*

GY tries and does it. 

DW: You're not supposed to use so much strength/force it.

GY: Oh~ Like this?

The guys make up excuses and say it's cos they have back muscles lol. Not that I'm doubting heheh.

I just love watching their interactions when they're not filming. Thanks to TVN for releasing all this content! Now we just need Yoo In-na to join this trio!!

well they are not lying though

068b87b4d83400f948d3790f14879b5b620f56d4

a0f28b99577b00d82acc7571aefa5c11.jpg

1b0480561b79d8d2341dd8e4c0cdb45f.jpg

LOL :grimace:

5 hours to eps 9

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, Ahjumma08 said:

ET's mom is a missing soul because when she was pregnant and almost died from hit 'n run, Goblin saved her so that she can deliver ET safely. And Grim Reaper came late after that...So he failed to picked up their souls

There's something that's been bothering me about this and I just figured out what it is. 

Reaper is never late to pick up a soul. In fact, more than once we've seen him get to a pickup location early. I cannot remember a single time where he was late to collect a soul, other than when ET and her mother were hit and Shin saved them. 

1. The-bus-accident-that-wasn't: The Grim Reapers were all there well ahead of time and just waiting for said accident to happen.

2. The coffee shop: The arguing man and woman got into a car accident on their way to the coffee shop and their spirits still continued on to there, where Reaper [I keep wanting to call him Grim Weeper thanks to @hushhh I think it was. lol] was waiting for them. 

I'm sure there are more instances, but these are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. 

So why was he late in this case? Was ET really supposed to die that night? Or was she actually destined to live?

For a chronically early person, this lapse seems a little out of character. It seems to me that something was going on to purposely delay him.... perhaps the lady in red decided to intervene? Intervene by detaining the Reaper in order to give Shin time to hear the plea of ET's mother [a plea which said lady in red told her about in the first place] And if she did intervene, it seems a bit silly to only let her live for 19 years after all the effort that went into saving her. 

Oh yes! @kokodus is definitely a friend of mine @packmule3! In fact, she's been asking me to let her know page numbers of all your posts [when you tag me] so that she can read them too. :wink:

3 hours ago, ucylucy said:

Oh Wow! Please give us some lovey dovey moments!

kim shin's eyes when he's looking at eun tak :wub::wub::wub:

it's friday!!! 

tumblr_oiyaeza5Gr1tb15h5o1_400.jpg

cr @ ansherry94

Edited by LyraYoo
please do not quote images
  • Like 17

37 minutes ago, Ahjumma08 said:

@winterdew yeah.. that's absolutely my question from the very first time. Wang Yeo wasn't reincarnating to be a grim reaper not like Kim Sun did. God punishes Wang Yeo to be a grim reaper as we know Grim reaper's character is soft-hearted. And I dont think that soft-hearted man was a cruel king in his past life. Let's just wait when will the writer reveal it for sure.

@bubblegumpops ET's mom is a missing soul because when she was pregnant and almost died from hit 'n run, Goblin saved her so that she can deliver ET safely. And Grim Reaper came late after that...So he failed to picked up their souls

But i mean, after that she died, so technically, it's a missing soul that's been retrieved afterwards?

• Like 2