[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

On 2/25/2017 at 8:59 PM, lsylvia said:

Just a passing SSK fan dropping a few more particulars about the upcoming Bride of the Water God drama (as gleaned from Korean articles and blog entries)

1. It's going to be a spin-off of the original manga so other than the fact that NJH will be Habaek, the water god, everything's changed. For one thing, it's set in the present.

2. Here's a description of the main characters I've found in a Korean blog, translating them for those who're interested:

1) Habaek (NJH): Water god, in the original manga, he's been cursed to become a boy during the day and to regain his original form at night, no info yet on whether this has been changed for the drama.

2) Soah (SSK): A psychiatrist in private practice. Took her 10 years to become one, and she's working hard because she has a lot of debts (it's sad that SSK always plays a poor girl). I hope the people who complain that SSK is too old for the part of Soah learn of this, since Soah in the drama would be around 30 years of age.

3) Huye (not determined yet): A resort CEO who's going to be in a love triangle with Habaek and Soah.

4) Hyera (Krystal): A goddess who lives among humans in disguise, usually as an actress. Loves Habaek and so hates Soah.

5) Biryeom (Gong myung): Wind god, helps Habaek and Soah.

This, of course, is from a private blog and subject to change....

As far as I can tell, they are going to finalize the casting and begin shooting in March.

okay so what will be Habaek's profession? why Hoo-ye is the CEO and not Habaek... he should have been the CEO... since he's the top character here... and I'd really love to see Nam Joo Hyuk as a young CEO... sigh! but anyway I love Habaek & Hoo-ye in the manhwa tho'  I'm 100% sure I won't have a second lead syndrome here thank God for that 'cause I'm always having that syndrome for most kdrama and it's not healthy for me... 

thank's for the infos...hope to see some fanpics when they already started filming....

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all! I also read BOTWG a few years ago (although I didn't get a chance to finish it). I'm also looking forward to watching the drama. Not really sure how I feel about the drama being so drastically changed that it takes place in modern time. But I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe they'll do something like what they did with Legend of the Blue Sea? What you guys think?

On 2/23/2017 at 3:56 AM, i.am.bugz.funny said:

now that the cast are already confirmed I just pray that this will turn out to be a good drama... I trust Misaeng writernim to rewrite the script beautifully without changing most important parts of the story... I don't really have an idea how they gonna do this in a modern version...can't help to be unhappy with that change but I'm hoping for the best in this live action...up to now I've been reading so many negative comments from the casting and the changes in the era settings so I hope TVN would prove them wrong or us wrong... It will hurt manhwa fans like me if this turns out to be a mess ... and I hope some Goblin fans will stop comparing this to that drama because of God and brides theme 'cause the manhwa was already published since 2006 it's just that they did a live action now 2017...

I agree w/you, I love this writer she wrote Arang and the Magistrate, Misaeng both are dramas that I loved. I trust her. This is also the director of Queen Inhyuns Man and Nine Times Time Travel that are both great dramas too, so I would check this drama out just because they are involved. I have no idea what they are going to do story wise since it seems like a big change w/the modern setting from what I have seen about the manwha. TBH I'm totally invested because of Nam Joo Kyuk and I liked Shin Se Kyung in The Girl Who Could See Smells. I couldn't stand her in When a Man Loves but that was because she did a great job acting that part. It seems to me anytime NJH or SSK are involved in a drama there are negative comments. Followed by  comments that say, "I'm surprised they did so well, must have been the director who got them to do the roles justice",:wacko:. I didn't know the Goblin fans are now upset w/this too..Netizens just love to get on their high horse and write negative things without even seeing the finished product. It doesn't matter if they are international or domestic they will find something wrong and if catches on the same people will be praising it. I'm concerned more about that manhwa fan's reaction, it's always problematic when a beloved source material gets a live action makeover. I hope they consult the original writer and not ignore them but I'm a Nam Joo Hyuk fanahjumma who hasn't read the manhwa so I'm on so onboard this one chingu:D.

@staygold   @athena22 @triplem @glee77 @jjoy84 @MiAmour @sava2sava panda-emoticon-46.gif

For the record I'm in favor of a topless NJH, it's about a water god evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif

58 minutes ago, triplem said:

agree with your last post. I wonder what's with k-netz dislike or underestimation of NJH. He rose to quickly to become male lead? He did a great job in Fairy, so let's hope ppl will give him a chance. 

It'd be a waste of his hard work if they don't showcase this ..

crazy-monkey-emoticon-121.gif I better turn down the ac, all of Joo Hyuk's hard work on those abs shouldn't go to waste.

yo7Snk3.png?2

I don't understand why the netz/ k and international love putting him down. I think he's done a great job in all 4 of the dramas I've watched him in. They were very negative about him being WLF too. Some are upset that he works for a big agency, guess some are upset that their favs don't get picked for roles..It's ridiculous,  but it seems to happen every time he gets a role. panda-emoticon-52.gif

I'm excited about this drama, writer-nim created a great fantasy world in Arang and The Magistrate. I'm looking forward to seeing what she type of world she creates for this drama. 

@nevill I think they are going be great together

I too am wondering about the criticism towards NJH :huh:? I thought his acting was so natural in WLFKBJ, which shows him as one of the promising young talents out there. I'm actually looking forward to what NJH will have in stores for this drama because he did talked about wanting to explore a more mature/masculine roles in future projects, in a recent interview. 

So far, I did read that it's not a direct adaptation, but a spin-off. I'm guessing the writer will focus on character development, rather than what the manwha was about (or it's original storyline). 

Well, I have to say I'm not partical interested in seeing a topless NJH. but after seeing the female leads I wouldn't mind seeing one of........uhm....sorry I think my head went a little ahead....

Anyhow, I'm really curious to see NJH again, he's the first actor that I like and I actually I took over one of his facial impressions from Fairy and use it on a regular basis. Okay...I use it daily.

giphy.gifExactly, like this. It's a habit that I use naturally now and it all started with him.

So if you don't mind, I count myself in and prepare for the drama to start, looking forward too see him in action again.

17 hours ago, triplem said:

Lol!!! I just had to respond when i read this. My vote is topless of course. Since he is the Water God...maybe there can be a lot swimming scenes ....:tongue:

My hopes are high because like you said there's water and it's kind of weird in some way if there will be no shirt or clothes wet that will show how fit he is or topless scene. To be honest, the world the drama will be better with those scenes. :blush:

Edit:

I may have talked like i am lusting over NJH but i don't. It's just that he looked so damn good in his swimming scenes in WFKBJ. I am completely in love with another actor. :wink:

3 hours ago, evie7 said:

@nevill I think they are going be great together

i was just thinking how visually they really look a match and great together

i also do think that Krystal is a really good looking person

to get a bit more acquainted with NJH and Krystal

ive watch a couple of WFKBJ and Hairs and NJH was really funny and cute as was Krystal very adorable

so im all for all of them 

all in all cant wait

On 2/25/2017 at 8:59 PM, lsylvia said:

Just a passing SSK fan dropping a few more particulars about the upcoming Bride of the Water God drama (as gleaned from Korean articles and blog entries)

1. It's going to be a spin-off of the original manga so other than the fact that NJH will be Habaek, the water god, everything's changed. For one thing, it's set in the present.

2. Here's a description of the main characters I've found in a Korean blog, translating them for those who're interested:

1) Habaek (NJH): Water god, in the original manga, he's been cursed to become a boy during the day and to regain his original form at night, no info yet on whether this has been changed for the drama.

2) Soah (SSK): A psychiatrist in private practice. Took her 10 years to become one, and she's working hard because she has a lot of debts (it's sad that SSK always plays a poor girl). I hope the people who complain that SSK is too old for the part of Soah learn of this, since Soah in the drama would be around 30 years of age.

3) Huye (not determined yet): A resort CEO who's going to be in a love triangle with Habaek and Soah.

4) Hyera (Krystal): A goddess who lives among humans in disguise, usually as an actress. Loves Habaek and so hates Soah.

5) Biryeom (Gong myung): Wind god, helps Habaek and Soah.

This, of course, is from a private blog and subject to change....

As far as I can tell, they are going to finalize the casting and begin shooting in March.

@isylvia81  Thanks for the character decriptions..

14 hours ago, evie7 said:

For the record I'm in favor of a topless NJH, it's about a water god evil-smile-onion-head-emoticon.gif

@evie7  I hope the writer knows that he's playing the role of a water god and what water god would be wearing a shirt..:rolleyes::lol: But reading that he will become a boy by day and change back to the form of water at night it would be nice if this drama is filmed around a beach with a lot of shirtless men around :rolleyes::wub:  

7 hours ago, triplem said:

It's ok to love / lust over :D many ..it's k-drama land... as Long as it's not real life.

@dhakra I was just going to tell you bout this but you beat me too it. Yes I'm quite sure you won't be into a topless NJH.. but the leading lady looks pretty smexy!   I can tell we are all missing NJH in Fairy. 

Haha, sorry I was ahead of you, I'm really curious about the two female leads, I must say I have a few prejudice towards idol-actors but I give her the chance to show me otherwise.

I still want to push Nam Joo Hyuk's character to be the president of the company... he should be a CEO too because in the manhwa he is the most powerful character in the story & we know for a fact that girl's always fantasize to see a handsome and rich company president...  plus it will add more appeal to viewers... If Hoo - Ye will be a resort CEO then make Habaek a hotel CEO... Nam Joo Hyuk's profession shouldn't be lower than the 2nd lead... I'm not that a fan so I'm not lusting on his body here tho' I can understand fans heart and who on earth wouldn't like to see her bias naked body...LOL just kidding..again to minors just forget what I have said... Actually I'm more expecting to see him dress like a professional 'cause I haven't seen him in a decent clothes like this one ...

Related image

Imagine him in a suit and tie...ooohhh that would be a killer... Of course fans will go gaga over NJH if they dressed him like that here in this drama... If they only followed the original you'll always see him half naked 'cause Habaek's hanbok are always on the loose...like he's always having wardrobe malfunction LOL... but since they change it to a modern version just pray that this will have a shower scene so fans can see his body...

I just saw the pictures from  NJH's fan meeting. He has a new hairstyle. Do you guys think he will keep this hairstyle for Bride of the Water God? I kind of want him to keep the messy hairstyle he has in WFKBJ because it suits him well.

I have faith he will do a great Ha Baek as he surprised me with his acting in WFKBJ. :wub:

@triplem I just hope there aren't minors here or else we'll be in jail for feeding their innocent mind with byuntae thoughts...haha ...anyway sorry If I talk too bluntly... just being straight to the point...

22 hours ago, jgismyking said:

I just saw the pictures from  NJH's fan meeting. He has a new hairstyle. Do you guys think he will keep this hairstyle for Bride of the Water God? I kind of want him to keep the messy hairstyle he has in WFKBJ because it suits him well.

I have faith he will do a great Ha Baek as he surprised me with his acting in WFKBJ. :wub:

you mean this 

32322218474_06e3642ae4_o.jpg

CR: to owner of the pic (heartwave & 222%)

I like this hairstyle better tho' ...he's rockin' it...and the clothes really suits modern Habaek... I'm kinda tired seeing him with messy hair ...he's always like that in most of his drama... I want to see a different side of him... isn't it good to see a new one instead of seeing the same thing... Messy hairstyle is only suited for a comedic character like Joon Hyung in WFKBJ... but his character here should be fierce and serious... It's really good to see him exploring more opportunities in his career ...climbing for more mature role... who knows this might be his biggest break ..but that's only if he'll do good... and for the rest of the cast also...

I expected him to look like this ...this is what manhwa Habaek would look like in modern times...

Image may contain: one or more people, child and closeup

19 hours ago, nevill said:

when So-Ah meets the devilish Ha-Baek for the first time

taken from: SSK DCinside

just when I'm slowly recovering from the change in era settings of BOTWG I saw this pic...and all my frustration and disappointments came back again... see guys how good and awesome it will look if they will do this to a saeguk (history) drama... I really don't understand why change it ... *sobs*  I want them to see in a beautiful hanbok just like Moon Lovers but then again that won't happen... IF they will change 80% of the story then they should've just created a new original one than a manhwa adaptation...11iur 60 + Super cute dog girl chat emoji gifs images are downloaded dog emoticons dog emoji

22 minutes ago, i.am.bugz.funny said:

see guys how good and awesome it will look if they will do this to a saeguk (history) drama

i post it only jokingly

even bf after reading your post about the CEO, i thought to myself how hilarious it will be if the Ha Baek who is used to being all mighty in the spirit realm finds himself powerless in the human world 

how funny his arrogant attitude would be with the reality of the ppl around him seeing only a bum 

i know it probably wont be shown in this way but i thought it would have been so cute if he would be all attitude while So-Ah will be all youre just a bum

i like when you have funny contradiction in dramas

thats just me

39 minutes ago, triplem said:

I'm confused - is this going to be a modern setting or different era - or like Goblin?

i think he will come "down" from the spirit world to live among human

since Krystal role describes her as an idol here

so maybe the same?

Archived