[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

Bride of the Water God 2017: Episode 9

by LollyPip

habaek9-00130.jpg

Our water god is having a harder and harder time denying his feelings the longer he stays in the human world, even when he has every reason to know better. He has a lot of friends and people to help him, but his quest on Earth is one he’ll ultimately have to complete alone. Ha-baek still has a lot to learn about the hearts of humans and gods, and until he understands both, he’ll never be ready to be king.

---- read full: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/08/bride-of-the-water-god-2017-episode-9/

COMMENTS

While the story may be disjointed and a bit confusing, I’ll admit that as far as the romance goes, I’m all in. Ha-baek and So-ah are obviously falling hard, yet they couldn’t possibly be any more star-crossed. He has to go back to the Realm of the Gods and be king, and because the last human who was allowed to live among them betrayed them horribly, there’s very little chance So-ah would be welcomed even if she wanted to go with him. Ha-baek looked so sad when he found his coordinates and realized that going home meant leaving So-ah, then again at the end when he kept saying he has to go, while kissing her like leaving is the last thing he wants to do. And as beautiful as that kiss was, it breaks my heart, because Ha-baek has been through this before and he knows falling for a human again will only bring heartache, but he can’t help falling in love with So-ah.

I just love Ha-baek’s character development to this point, because he hasn’t changed who he is in any significant way — he’s just becoming a more aware, more sensitive version of himself. He’s still an arrogant richard simmons, but now he’s an arrogant richard simmons who actually cares, and I love that. I’m also glad that he seems to be more consciously aware of his feelings for So-ah, because she’s definitely been having feelings for a while now, so it’s cute to see them dancing around it (especially when they’re angry!). Watching Ha-baek get all cranky about So-ah avoiding his kiss, then get jealous in advance that she might hug another man after he’s gone, was so much fun. I love nothing more than a couple who shows their attraction through petty bickering, and Ha-baek is nothing if not petty. For a god who’s nearly three thousand years old, he can be such an obnoxious child, and it’s hilarious.

Spoiler

The character development in this episode wasn’t all positive – Hu-ye is definitely struggling to hold onto his resolve to be a good human being. What’s ironic and frustrating is that if Ha-baek and Bi-ryum were treating him with the slightest bit of kindness, he probably wouldn’t be going dark. I really believe that he wants to just live a quiet human life, and that it’s his fear of discovery and his traumatic past that are causing his so-far-controlled destructive powers to reawaken. So I still have sympathy for him, even though he’s on the verge of losing control and hurting someone, because it’s really not his fault he’s in this situation. He’s not to blame for being raised in isolation by a father who despised him, or for the fact that Ha-baek and Bi-ryum can’t get over their prejudice to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least give him a chance to prove he’s done nothing wrong.

But I think that So-ah is going to be a big factor in Hu-ye’s going to the bad side, because now he has a reason for why eh’s so drawn to her and wants to possess her. I still don’t fully understand how it works, but it sounds as though, as a half-god, Hu-ye cycles through lives for eternity, and that the difficulty of that is what causes half-gods to turn evil. He probably lived many lives in his three thousand years in that cave, and I wonder what happened twelve hundred years ago that Geol-rin almost mentioned (that seems tied up in Ha-baek’s trauma too, since that also happened twelve hundred years ago). But as a gods’ servant, So-ah could be made to bond to him, and take away his loneliness. Ironically, it could be Hu-ye’s quest to be happy that finally pushes him to embrace the darkness inside.

I think that a big part of the reason I’ve felt like the conflict in this show is so watered-down (no pun intended) is because the stakes in the primary conflict just aren’t that high. Ha-baek wants to become king, so he needs the stones, but the worst thing that we’ve been told will happen if he doesn’t find them is that he doesn’t get to go back to the Realm of the Gods and be king. There’s no real consequences for anyone but him, and we don’t know what being king means to him, so it just doesn’t feel like it would be a huge tragedy if he doesn’t find the stones and become king. But the conflict of Hu-ye trying to steal So-ah for himself or he’ll turn evil, yet turning evil in the attempt, is a lot more compelling because it actually carries serious consequences. Ha-baek could lose So-ah, So-ah could lose her freedom, Hu-ye could lose his humanity, and the human realm could disappear altogether if Hu-ye controls the divine gate and the gods can no longer visit. Now those are stakes that mean something.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening guys. I am now currently sitting down in front of my laptop waiting for Bride of Water God. :) 

3 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

sis... we always share the same thoughts heheehehee... yes please more kisses and lovey dovey and if Soo Ah and Habaek will have a daughter together the Goddess of Earth (my own idea) please show us a proper bed scene... 

Well I agree we're entering the sad parts of the drama now. Hoping, praying and MOSTLY PLEADING FOR A HAPPY ENDING :)

So hoo ye met JD 10 yrs ago that means little girl with hoo ye and time with JD past 10 yrs BUT girl look same no ageing.

BUT bi ryum and moora fight and lost stone 13 yrs ago. What's going on. ..? still no clue.

9 minutes ago, Delulu_jie2830 said:

Evening guys. I am now currently sitting down in front of my laptop waiting for Bride of Water God. :) 

Well I agree we're entering the sad parts of the drama now. Hoping, praying and MOSTLY PLEADING FOR A HAPPY ENDING :)

So early?:blink: Wow! Yeah we all hope for a happy ending. But I actually am more excited than dreading the sad parts that are coming because I think we had it easy so far.It has been a pretty slow progression in the first half of this drama.It's like the pace when you're approaching the top of the roller coaster.I think yesterday was where we're at the top of the roller coaster. I think from today onwards, we'll be going downhill, 360 degrees, turning, twisting throughout the whole ride.Hopefully, when we reach the end, we will be satisfied with a smooth ride and a happy ending:)

@GREENNA I saw your GIFs and was thinking what they had in common....I realised this: All the moments in episode 9 when So Ah was fearless.:D

201708011506462570_1_20170801173649738.j, the descendants are bleeding to such an extent that they can not recognize their faces as if they were attacked by someone. I can imagine that he is suffering a great deal of pain in a pale atmosphere that seems to fall right now. 

Im ju- hwan has been doing a lot of work for a long time, repeating countless times to fall on the cold floor for this one scene. After the shooting, Lim Jho-hwan's arms and legs showed a lot of sharp bruises

The production team of 'Habakku's bride 2017' said, "Today's broadcast will be a sudden development of the gods of the gods who are aiming at him and the gods who are aiming for him." 

12 minutes ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

I think yesterday was where we're at the top of the roller coaster. I think from today onwards, we'll be going downhill, 360 degrees, turning, twisting throughout the whole ride.Hopefully, when we reach the end, we will be satisfied with a smooth ride and a happy ending:)

I feel excited. Please never leave me fainted while the ride speeding and twisting very fast. Keep mention me and wake me up. Just in case I lost my consciousness. :ph34r:

Btw, HY get my sympathy. I can feel his fear and trauma. I hope SoAh will help him standing on his feet and bear him self facing the deities who falsely saw him as a monster. While he's actually not. I hope HaBaek will be the one who realized that first among the Gods.

A little confession from an NJH fangirl...

I just want to say that I love how Shin Se Kyung carries the role of SoAh. I like her understated acting, yet she conveys her emotions effectively. Her emotional kiss scene with Habaek just pierced me. And when she is being funny, she is just so much fun to watch. I love her on screen chemistry with Joo Hyuk and I hope they will have a happy ending in the drama. Of course, SSK is so very pretty I can't help but stare at the screen sometimes a tad too long! Yup, I'm now a fan ! 

IMG_0844fd6d6.gif

3 minutes ago, Visually-wandering said:

I feel excited. Please never leave me fainted while the ride speeding and twisting very fast. Keep mention me and wake me up. Just in case I lost my consciousness. :ph34r:

:lol:Hehe okays, I will keep waking you up. But you must stay strong and musn't faint....or else you might miss all the good parts (kissing, hot body pics etc.B):wink:)

Just came by - not so much time - but

@moodypie Need to say... I was wondering about why is HY related to the reason she is a servant. My first thought. Maybe they are somehow Family - because her Ancestor might be HYs Mother? Maybe thats why he feels drown to her - because she is Family. Okay - over Generations - but still.

I fear Bi Ryeom will again be hurted by Mo Ra  - and I fear when he is hurt he and his bad tempture can be the reason CEO get beaten. Maybe he can even beat the Air thinking about CEO and it will hit the CEO - maybe like that he collapse in the Parking Area.

I fear that will be even more the reason for CEO to turn on revange.

And I still hope in the End he will work together with Ha Beak - maybe to rescue both - human and Gods World.

I still like and dislike Bi Ryeom. He really have a temper - but he was used and hurted. I still believe he is a loyal friend to Ha Baek - and he hides Mo Ras doing because of his Feelings - even that could help him clear his name. He don´t want her to get hurt (from the Man she loves). Her Jealousy was the reason for a lot. And I fear it will be like that again. Beware So Ah.

5 hours ago, milwon said:

I am still not have the chance to watch ep 9, so i will just write what is my thought regarding your question abt joo dong.

Is the show really writes there that he is nowa buddhist monk?or did you just assume it with his clothes? If he is indeed a monk now, he might have just disguise himself as a monk in the human realm. Just like moora dusguise herself as an actress and biryum as once a medical student and now a rich man. He is said to be someone that is reserved and a little different than the 3. So it could be that he choose to disguise himself as a humble monk rather than popular and rich human.

Or it could be that he is disguising himself as a shaman. Remember the time where yeom mi told so ah that she went to a mountain after to find a master that able to to talk to god but she can't find him and met with joo gul rin instead. He could be that master.

I believe when he talks to the little girl at the earlier eps, he was still not missing and losing his memory.

@milwonHe chants out loud "Namu Amidhabutsu," He definitely has been exposed in someway to Buddhism. In the open he wears the garb of an ascetic or monk and has buddhist prayer beads around his neck. In episode 9 (that I saw) he does not have the beads. He also has lost his memory.  So how did he know the story about the three stones when he spoke to the little girl? Did he lose part of his memory, before or after that walk on the beach? etc.   The show answers questions with more questions.  After you watch episode 9 let me know what you think, or perhaps we will find out in episode 10.

1 hour ago, saanjh sena said:

So hoo ye met JD 10 yrs ago that means little girl with hoo ye and time with JD past 10 yrs BUT girl look same no ageing.

BUT bi ryum and moora fight and lost stone 13 yrs ago. What's going on. ..? still no clue.

This is a good question - but we still don't know when JD was walking on beach with the little girl. Was it 10 years ago or two 10 weeks ago?  I think it may be she does not age, but we don't know for sure yet.

Archived