[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Visually-wandering said:

Yeah I feel a little anxious to continue watching this. Not yet recovered from the similar scene on Goblin, where KimSun also killed by the one she love (with different reason though). This is not even a fantasy genre, who allowed us to imagine some twist in the end. This is historical drama. I think I should google the real history first. I was so excited to see Yun KyunSang as lead actor but after I watched some tragic drama lately, I feel hesitate.

@stroppyse this is a flashback drama right? They're showing us the end first then restart from the beginning again.

Yes, it's a flashback drama. They showed a few minutes from later on to introduce the adult characters including a confrontation between GD and the King when the King asks how GD could have come from a lowly born man rather than from royal or aristocratic seed, and GD responds how could a heaven born man become so low. (Asian kings and emperors were working under the Divine Right principle.) Then flashback to show us Gil Dong's story from when he was a baby.

So, I think one of the written synopsis talks about GD being born an illegitimate son of a nobleman, but I'm hoping that synopsis got it wrong. I actually like the idea that GD is the son of a commoner who was born with extraordinary abilities, is taught to hide those abilities as a child, but then goes on to use them to become a revolutionary. I prefer that to having there be some birth secret where GD is actually the son of a nobleman or his father is actually a disgraced nobleman or anything like that. I like the commoner touch. Given GD's response to the king that he isn't of royal or aristocratic seed, that he's just his father's son, I hope that's the case. 

Also, GS is taught as a child that showing off his extraordinary talents (strength, speed, etc.) as the son of a commoner would lead to his death and the death of his family, so he needed to hide it for the sake of his family. So, it's going to take awhile to turn GD from the gentle soul that he is to become a revolutionary of the people.

I think @Chi Le liked the first episode a lot more than I did, though once episode 2 airs, I may try watching them both back to back.  I still like the premise, the actors (including Kim Sang Joong who is like the ultimate twisted father figure for those who watched City Hunter), the set up, the look, etc. It's just I'm not sure how much angst and tragedy I can handle in my life right now, even in fictional form, especially if it is able to suck me into its world. I'll have to think about this one. 

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch this drama after all. Did I see Chae Soo Bin's character die in the first episode? Shot through the heart with an arrow by Hong Gil Dong to prevent her from becoming burned as a hostage by their enemies? The king and his consort seem creepy for the most part, even though we only see them briefly in episode 1. 

Also, the whole start is just so sad. The lives of slaves to aristocrats who don't feel their lives have much value, and is disposable at their will. The complete love and trust  Gil Dong has for his father, and his father's love and sacrifice for his son is heartfelt and beautiful, but is just too sad anticipating the future.  At least, Ahn Mo Gae, GD's father, gets a lighter moment having met some thieves, but recovering his money and goods and gaining their respect before making his way back home to a waiting GD.

The light parts aren't that light, and the whole thing feels laden by sorrow, injustice, and tragedy. Plus, can't get the scene of Chae Soo Bin getting an arrow through the heart out of my mind, thinking that it's going to ultimately be tragic at least in the sense that GD will sacrifice his love in his quest for justice for his people? Maybe I should have waited until the first four episodes were out to watch so that I could get a better feel for where the drama is ultimately going to go. 

@stroppyse  I see you stop in also being the Saguek fan I am I'll be here, I thought the begining would start off like this due to the introduction I watch.. I'm wondering whats the real reason they keeping that family tied to them.. I'm wondering how they would explot GD strength to there benefit.. All three Evil Master wife and horrible son I hope they get they just dessert from GD..

One thing I could say I never understood these Kings thats jealous of a nobody servant..  But I could see the kings woman having something to do with her being caught by the enemy, Most likely GD isn't into her anymore and the King wants him dead because his concubine is into GD..  SMH But all and all it should be a fun watch..   

"Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" Yoon Gyoon-sang's impressive first appearance

Spoiler

photo814423.jpg

Actor Yoon Gyoon-sang made a strong first impression.

The new MBC drama "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" started on the 30th.

While Amoge (Kim Sang-joong) narrated, Hong Gil-dong (Yoon Gyoon-sang) was bleeding and amidst a group of unknown men.

Hong Gil-dong fought with them, then the screen went over to Jang Nok-doo (Lee Honey) and Yeon San-gun (Kim Ji-seok-I). Yeon San-gun mentioned Hong Gil-dong as if he knew him, but Jang Nok-soo gave him a cold reaction.

Hong Gil-dong's girlfriend Ga-ryeong (Chae Soo-bin) was seen crying tied to a pole and Hong Gil-dong watched her helplessly.

Yeon San-gun asked Hong Gil-dong who he was and Hong Gil-dong wasn't threatened by him.

"Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" comes in second

Spoiler

photo814525.jpg

The new MBC drama "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" started off in second place.

According to TNMS, "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" came in second with 8.3%.

SBS "Defendants" came in first with 12.8%.

However, "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" doubled its previous dramas so there's hope.

The story of Amoge and his son Hong Gil-dong was very touching in the first episode.

Does anyone know why Nielsen hasn't updated? Is it because of the lunar new year?

All the articles on Naver that I have checked seem to have positive comments :) kkuljaem translated two of them.

[Spoilers] Rebel (Pilot)

0002534304_001_20170130230610085.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-01-30%2Bat%2B4.49.11%2BPM.png

Naver - news 1: Kim Sang Joong's enthusiastic performance... heartwarming paternal love

1. [+1,607, -73] Wow, this is totally fun. Finally got a drama I can get excited for

2. [+1,259, -64] It's up to me to watch this~

3. [+1,168, -62] Good job with casting the child actor

4. [+1,072, -56] I don't see any acting hole for now.. I'll keep on watching~~ the preview is interesting

5. [+317, -23] As expected of Kim Sang Joong, all the child actors are good

6. [+310, -25] Kim Sang Joong is indeed an acting pro. The child actors are doing well

7. [+278, -23] Isn't Gil Dong too darn cute? ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

8. [+257, -16] Kim Sang Joong's "it's up to me" ㅎㅎ Didn't notice the time passing by ㅎㅎ The acting is jjang. Gil Dong's younger version is so cute and chubby

9. [+279, -25] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the Ratings

10. [+227, -19] Woah this drama is impressive ㅋㅋ Hoping the child actor of Gil Dong grows up well. You can trust Kim Sang Joong-ssi

201701302208661114_1.jpg 

Nate - Mydaily: Yoon Kyun Sang's strong first appearance... Conflict with Yeonsangun Kim Ji Seok 

1. [+272, -16] That was a great first episode, the story is refreshing. I have a feeling the ratings will be daebak. But did they entrust the CG on a student who goes to a computer cram school?

2. [+210, -11] Super immersive for a pilot broadcast. Kim Sang Joong from 'I'd Like to Know' is in here tooㅋㅋ

3. [+171, -18] I've nothing to watch lately, so I hope this one maintains the excitement!

4. [+30, -1] Fun drama

5. [+24, -1] Kim Sang Joong filled that 2% that Yoon Kyun Sang and Kim Ji Seok were lacking. Depending on Yoon Kyun Sang's performance, this drama will sure change his position

6. [+23, -3] The child actor is cute!

7. [+22, -2] No wonder Kim Ji Seok grew his beard.. He looks gruff

8. [+20, -1] So far so good! As long as Yoon Kyun Sang does well ㅋ

cr, kkul-jaem

the child actor is so good. maybe mbc strength in on sageuk

kim sang joon is totally stole the spotlight. I dont know if the adult part can live it up to him.

im happy for the first soo bin lead drama. But im not sure if she is the "main" lead. I feel the main story is about gil dong and the king, honey lee and soo bin are just playing part.

Thanks for the rating info..

@Chi Lệ  The child actor is good very good, I also think this drama is about the King and Gil Dong.. In the original the King and Gil Dong had they moment of together but fell out in the end.. Which lead the king to kill Gil Dong and all his followers..

I missed the part if Gil Dong mom gave birth before she died or the baby died with her.. But I couldn't blame Gil Dong father for killing the master he really deserves it no matter how greedy you are for a title you don't go messing with a man pregnat wife.. So in my opinion he had it coming.. I suspect Dad gets killed next episode and the new friend takes off with Gil Dong and his brother..    

"Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" Kim Sang-joong loses fortune and wife

Spoiler

photo814746.jpg

The revenge towards the rich has started.

The second episode of the MBC drama "Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People" was broadcast on the 31st of January.

Spoiler

photo814747.jpg

Hong Gil-dong (Lee Ro-woon) stood by his father's words not to use force at any chance and his father Amoge (Kim Sang-joong) satisfied Jo Cham-bong (Son Jong-hak) with expensive items. He was so happy when he found out his wife was pregnant. Soon, So Bu-ri (Park Joon-gyoo) suggested something new to Amoge.

Spoiler

photo814748.jpg

Amoge had to leave once again but he came back safe and sound with more precious items and thought of a way to increase in status. He thought of bribing someone with his precious items, get them to buy himself and his family and launder their status. It seemed as if his plan was working, but Jo Cham-bong's wife became suspicious and planned to rob Amoge of his riches.

Spoiler

photo814749.jpg

Jo Chang-bong's uncle seduced Amoge's pregnant wife and stimulated Amoge. Hong Gil-dong saw this and became furious. He threw rocks at the lords and told them to get lost. He hurt one of them and was taken away instead of Hong Gil-dong.

Spoiler

photo814750.jpg

Amoge got down to his knees and begged, "I will do anything if you just spare me my life!" Jo Cham-bong took everything Amoge had and Amoge couldn't help but be furious as a new life was just a step away from him.

Spoiler

photo814751.jpg

Amoge's wife died after she gave birth to a girl. Amoge hit himself in the face in front of her grave and said, "I am sorry. Forgive me". In the end, Amoge approached Jo Cham-bong in secret with a sickle in his hand.

In the final scene, Amoge walked out with blood all over him.

18 hours ago, tiki_sg said:

Can't believe this little boy (Lee Ro Woon 이로운) is only 7yrs old 

he is soo so cute I want to pinch his cheeks. and his acting gives me so much feels for a 7 yr old

I've loved the first two episodes so far - usually I am not a fan of having episodes dedicated to the main characters when they are younger but the child actor who plays Gil Dong is amazing as well as all of the other younger cast. Kim Sang Joong impressed me when I watched him in City Hunter and he is impressing me in this show so much, he is also a brilliant actor. 

Archived