[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to checking this drama out. I think this will be the first time as leads for both Yoon Kyun Sang's and Chae Soo Bin. Is that right? I've loved Yoon Kyun Sang in every role I've seen him in, starting with his role as the youngest of the Woodalchi in Faith, though he really stole my heart in Pinocchio as the older brother who sets out for nihilistic revenge for the death of his family, only to give it up when he finds his younger brother though it means spending the rest of his life in jail for murder. Anyway, I've been watching him since, and even when I didn't like the drama, I liked his performances in them. As for Chae Soo Bin, not too sure how I feel about her. She still seems like a very new actress. Saw her in Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, of course, so my affection for that drama makes me sympathetic to CSB's character already. :) 

Haven't watched too many sageuks, but it feels as if the two dramas that I'm most curious about right now, this one and Ruler, are both sageuks. Anyway, hope it's good. 

Though having caught a bit of episode 0, not looking forward to Hong Gil Dong's father's treatment as a slave and then his death. It's going to start in tears. I just hope it doesn't finish in tears. 

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I'm looking forward to checking this drama out. I think this will be the first time as leads for both Yoon Kyun Sang's and Chae Soo Bin. Is that right? I've loved Yoon Kyun Sang in every role I've seen him in, starting with his role as the youngest of the Woodalchi in Faith, though he really stole my heart in Pinocchio as the older brother who sets out for nihilistic revenge for the death of his family, only to give it up when he finds his younger brother though it means spending the rest of his life in jail for murder. Anyway, I've been watching him since, and even when I didn't like the drama, I liked his performances in them. As for Chae Soo Bin, not too sure how I feel about her. She still seems like a very new actress. Saw her in Moonlight Drawn on Clouds, of course, so my affection for that drama makes me sympathetic to CSB's character already. :) 

Haven't watched too many sageuks, but it feels as if the two dramas that I'm most curious about right now, this one and Ruler, are both sageuks. Anyway, hope it's good. 

Though having caught a bit of episode 0, not looking forward to Hong Gil Dong's father's treatment as a slave and then his death. It's going to start in tears. I just hope it doesn't finish in tears. 

Disturbing right? Even the way father tried to reduse son's power to protect him :o..son seems fine later so hope it was misleading...maybe would be better if they show the past in flashbacks...not to be to hard for 2 full eps

Well i choose tears just at the beginning as well :)

I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch this drama after all. Did I see Chae Soo Bin's character die in the first episode? Shot through the heart with an arrow by Hong Gil Dong to prevent her from becoming burned as a hostage by their enemies? The king and his consort seem creepy for the most part, even though we only see them briefly in episode 1. 

Also, the whole start is just so sad. The lives of slaves to aristocrats who don't feel their lives have much value, and is disposable at their will. The complete love and trust  Gil Dong has for his father, and his father's love and sacrifice for his son is heartfelt and beautiful, but is just too sad anticipating the future.  At least, Ahn Mo Gae, GD's father, gets a lighter moment having met some thieves, but recovering his money and goods and gaining their respect before making his way back home to a waiting GD.

The light parts aren't that light, and the whole thing feels laden by sorrow, injustice, and tragedy. Plus, can't get the scene of Chae Soo Bin getting an arrow through the heart out of my mind, thinking that it's going to ultimately be tragic at least in the sense that GD will sacrifice his love in his quest for justice for his people? Maybe I should have waited until the first four episodes were out to watch so that I could get a better feel for where the drama is ultimately going to go. 

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch this drama after all. Did I see Chae Soo Bin's character die in the first episode? Shot through the heart with an arrow by Hong Gil Dong to prevent her from becoming burned as a hostage by their enemies? The king and his consort seem creepy for the most part, even though we only see them briefly in episode 1. 

Also, the whole start is just so sad. The lives of slaves to aristocrats who don't feel their lives have much value, and is disposable at their will. The complete love and trust  Gil Dong has for his father, and his father's love and sacrifice for his son is heartfelt and beautiful, but is just too sad anticipating the future.  At least, Ahn Mo Gae, GD's father, gets a lighter moment having met some thieves, but recovering his money and goods and gaining their respect before making his way back home to a waiting GD.

The light parts aren't that light, and the whole thing feels laden by sorrow, injustice, and tragedy. Plus, can't get the scene of Chae Soo Bin getting an arrow through the heart out of my mind, thinking that it's going to ultimately be tragic at least in the sense that GD will sacrifice his love in his quest for justice for his people? Maybe I should have waited until the first four episodes were out to watch so that I could get a better feel for where the drama is ultimately going to go. 

i agree with you the whole start is just so sad ,too sad!!!I don't know if i'll watch it...i'll try but i'm not sure

The first episode was cute. The music is good. The directing is well. The little kid has done his job well, so the mom and dad.

I agree that they shouldnt show that soo bin will be dead, unless there is some twist there. 

1 hour ago, Chi Le said:

The first episode was cute. The music is good. The directing is well. The little kid has done his job well, so the mom and dad.

I agree that they shouldnt show that soo bin will be dead, unless there is some twist there. 

Yeah I feel a little anxious to continue watching this. Not yet recovered from the similar scene on Goblin, where KimSun also killed by the one she love (with different reason though). This is not even a fantasy genre, who allowed us to imagine some twist in the end. This is historical drama. I think I should google the real history first. I was so excited to see Yun KyunSang as lead actor but after I watched some tragic drama lately, I feel hesitate.

@stroppyse this is a flashback drama right? They're showing us the end first then restart from the beginning again.

I think they try to push the big names in the first episode to get attention: YKS, soo bin, ji suk, ha nui. They was introduce brieftly like first few minutes like a trailer.

MBC really promote this drama. I have seen the picture of YKS and ji suk in every mbc youtube video. It's 30 episode drama so I think the kid part will go for about 4-6 episodes. The little kid did a wonderful job. The dad part is really good as well. I would say the first episode has done its job, it doesnt feel like a dated drama, its warming and interesting.

But really they could have cut the soo bin part. She was barely in any trailer before the drama air. Now she got some screen time and it shows she got killed? 

Archived