[Drama 2016-2017] First Love Again 다시, 첫사랑 Thanks for Watch.

0ly40

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If JW becomes chairman of LK does that mean then he is the owner? if that is the case then HR will inherit LK just like MH wanted all along and maybe somewhere in the future when MH gets out of jail she and JW will be married. In the end she becomes the madame of LK. 

Hui Ran and MS have both donated all their shares in LK to charity (Hui Ran having gotten the approval of the Directors of "her" Foundation to do so). Or at least that's the closest we can get to what the Korean phrase "given to society" means, which belongs to institutional arrangements with no Western parallel, since in the West all charities belong, by definition, to the sphere of "civil society", whereas in Korea donations "to society" are administered by official bodies, though for what we would term "charitable purposes."  CDB furiously asks them what right they have to dispose of "his" wealth in that way, but MS replies that a father who will let his own totally innocent son go to jail for offenses he himself committed has no grounds to reproach others for breaching his "rights."

The news can't be hidden from GO, and HJ asks does he know what he has to do. "Yes," he replies, "I've got to ignore what everyone says, study hard, and play hard."  "On top of that," HJ tells him, "you mustn't cry". He sniffles that he won't. "We won't be separated for long,"  she continues. If we are brave and work hard, Daddy will soon come back to us, so until he does we've got to keep our spirits up and be patient. If we do that, Daddy will be able to come back without feeling bad."

After which, it's THREE YEARS LATER. and HJ's Mom and Mr Park as still being silly and infuriating. Added to which Mr Park obviously bought up MH's father's vast supply of bow ties and appears to be wearing two of them at once. CDB is having to do household chores under Hui Ran's thumb, and being threatened with having his "allowance" stopped if he doesn't do the cleaning more to her satisfaction.

When MH's ex-mother visits MH in jail, MH is surprised to learn that she's been released some months earlier "I told you, didn't I" her mother sneers in her usual way, "Korea is a country where financial crimes are treated leniently" "So it seems" comments MH resignedly. "So you shouldn't have been so foolish as to commit crimes like the ones you did,: he mother adds mercilessly."  "I can see you haven't given up your nagging", MH replies.  "Why did you do it?" her mother asks. "You're asking why I betrayed you?", MH responds. "No, that's not what I'm asking", her mother answers. "Since you had that secret contract, why didn't you make use of it?" Since it comprmised her mother more than anyone else, why didn't she use it to extract concessions and cash from her mother in return for surpressing it. "You mean,why didn't I use it to blackmail you in the way you would have done me?, MH replies. "I never entertained for one moment the thought of doing that." "Why not?" asks her mother, plainly genuinely puzzled. "Because you're my mother." MH says.  Her mother tries to hide that that reply takes her aback. "Look after yourself," she says brusquely. See you when you're released."

"There's no way I'll see you again after I get out", MH insists. "But I'll still have a need for you" her mother responds unabashed. "I guess that means there'll be times you still need to use me?" aks MH.  "That's right", her mother agrees. "But there are no funds left for you to recover now" MB observes. "True," her mother responds, " My money's all gone and so are all my powerful connections. From that angle, I don't have much power left. All the same, when you get out, there'll be a nice room ready for you. I'll be waiting."   

There's a whole lot packed into that last word 기다리마, or rather its grammar, that defies translation into English.  The ~마 form has disappeared entirely from modern Korean, apart from in pop song lyrics (which unlike the pop songs of most other cultures, are stuffed with all sorts of "old fashioned" usages) and saeguk dialogue. And it's a saeguk scenario that we're meant to think of here. ~마 denotes a strongly predictive future tense which can be used only by someone of lofty rank to someone inferior in status. We recall MH telling her mother, in another piece of dialogue that could have been lifted from a saeguk, that in a single realm there can be only one queen, indicating that MH believed she had deposed her mother and usurped her crown. By her "queenly" parting word, MH's mother indicates that she still wears the crown, albeit in a vastly dimimished realm, and MH is going to carry on being reliant on her mother's regal favors.  Alas, there's simply no way that really rather powerful ending to the tale of MH and her mother could be brought home to people reliant on subtitles.

16 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

So, I guess a good ending makes a lot of things forgivable. I think the endings were somewhat appropriate in that those who had money and power before and were willing to hurt others for it, are left moneyless and powerless now. Everyone else sort of has to figure out an ongoing life. The time jump didn't irritate me since it was necessary for DY to resolve his predicament by serving time in prison since his father hung him out to dry. 

Not that I've commented on fashion in this thread, however, Mdm Seo gets my vote for most consistently looking polished and elegant without weird accessory malfunctions. :) 

Thanks to everyone on the thread. It's been fun and interesting. Hope to see you again on other threads. 

Thank You so much.  For a daily, perhaps the gaol time is considered punishment enough for MH and evil Kim. MH was convicted of kidnapping and probably needed to serve a longer time than fraud. I guess we would not know how long DY was in prison. Both bowtie and scumbag Chairman (esp). have not been punished enough. I find it very annoying that  MS did not kick out the Chairman. She may feel guilty to the mistress for not divorcing the toad, but why should she feel sorry for him? On the whole,  I feel OK with the finale, no major aggravation. Evil Kim and MH seemed to turn human, even if we can't be sure how much they have changed.

2 hours ago, baduy said:

Moved by HR's letters and JH's pleas, MH denied all knowledge of a secret contract. The prosecutor called JW to tell him that, but when JW then looked for the copy of the contract DY had given him, it had gone. Ms Seo had taken it to  hand over to the prosecutor, telling JW she wasn't going to stand for him giving up all they had planned for just for the sake of HJ. She assured

I thought the actress was excellent in her reaction to the letter. Before the finale, only DY and HJ had scenes to show their acting abilities DY esp. had many times, I think they deliberately wrote those scenes in, knowing he would just ace it. Now the MH actress is so good, I forgive her overuse of bulging eyes.

Ciao everyone. Stay safe and I am sure we will cross paths again.

27 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

If JW becomes chairman of LK does that mean then he is the owner?

No. Bulk of the stock is now owned by the charities to which Hui Ran and MS made their donations. HR is indeed set up to be a rich heiress, but it will be her grandfather's recovered wealth, restored thanks to Mme Seo uncovering the means by which JW's family was robbed and his father disgraced.

Incidentally, after DY's arrest, when HJ rushes over to JW's office full of bewildered and furious reproaches, believing that after all he said about sacrificing everything for her he has changed his mind and turned DY in, JW, chivalrous as ever, doesn't disillusion her, and takes on himself the blame for what Mme Seo had done, allowing the woman he loves to believe he has betrayed him rather than turn her anger against Mme Seo. (That point is nicely brought home visually when we spot HJ and Mme Seo sitting and smiling together, obviously on the best of terms, at JW's inaugural address)

6 minutes ago, maribella said:

MH was convicted of kidnapping and probably needed to serve a longer time than fraud.

See my translation of the last conversation between MH and her mother for an explanation of this, and the political comment the writer is making about the Korean justice system. (It also explains DY's relatively brief sentence, which is a lot shorter than he'd have deserved if he had actually committed all the financial crimes he'd been framed with. Just as well, in the cirumstances.

22 minutes ago, baduy said:

Alas, there's simply no way that really rather powerful ending to the tale of MH and her mother could be brought home to people reliant on subtitles.

Ne' ertheless we all thank you for the finer points of the Korean language, I am taking the liberty of representing others. I can't say I mind very much not being able to comprehend the unspoken message between the smirking ex-con and the lying convict. She wanted to use the contract against her mother, maybe not in blackmailing, but her sweet daughter effectively stopped her from using it.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:16 AM, maribella said:

@baduy a letter from GO that got to Jang, and why not  letter from HR that changed MH? This writer is so strange :lol:.

Good Lord she is going to spend a few years in a minimal security prison and then go play house with JW. Die, die die!!!! Evil Kim gets a few years, bow tie will probably still preside over the senate full of smart professors, Chairman Cha will be taken back by his mistress after a few years. Bad , very bad karma to the writer, director and producer.  

I think the ending will be at par with heaven's  promise.

@maribella  Don't you just hate the endings, I kind of almost want to root for evil.. The dailys is all about them the main leads are all so clueless for the majority of the drama only to suddely grow some what of a brain in the last 30 episodes or so.. I'm teed off that MH didn't even get chrage for her attempted murder charge..

21 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@maribella  Don't you just hate the endings, I kind of almost want to root for evil.. The dailys is all about them the main leads are all so clueless for the majority of the drama only to suddely grow some what of a brain in the last 30 episodes or so.. I'm teed off that MH didn't even get chrage for her attempted murder charge..

Yes she did cause little Nam's death, but at least she is punished for kidnapping and her considerable arrogance of being wife LK's heir apparent was taken away. If in real life, HR will inherit LK from her father but GO will not have anything or very little from LK since MS had donated hers to charity. @sava2sava this is much better than HP, no simpering nasty overindulged amnesiac female.

Thank you all for all the discussions, translations, views, critiques, and support watching this daily.  Though I was more of a lurker than a contributor, it was fun reading everything.  See you all in another drama.  Thank you once again and signing off from this drama.

I should sign off too. But not before mentioning the person who was responsible for HJ's clothes. He/she is indeed a cruel person. MH had a few misses especially when I watched the earlier episodes. Poor HJ is either dressed in outlandish designs or odd colouor combinations or both. At other times she is dressed in dull old aunts' shifts and very occasionally, in decent enough coat dresses. Then some episodes ago MS was wearing some ghastly dresses that I think  also came from the same wardrobe person. Let us hope that the actresses will do something about this person.

7 hours ago, sava2sava said:

Don't you just hate the endings, I kind of almost want to root for evil..

In a way evil wins at the end.  Was it mention how long is MH sentence?  After what MH did she only goes to jail for  a few years for kidnapping. Her future looks bright, her daughter will be heiress apparent and MH herself will probably be LK's first lady. DY and HJ will just be regular employees and GO will be going to a local school. I don't know if I should laugh or cry:expressionless:

Good-bye... First Love Again.... Thanks for the memories....

The ending of this drama couldn't have come at a worse time so busy I don't even have time to post...  Better late than never...

Thanks to everyone here who inspired me with their knowledge, cheered me up and made me laugh to many times to count, gave me something to look forward to.  And most of all made this journey and drama much better than it would have been without you.  May God watch over you always and those you love and may we meet again and again!!!  I will be looking forward to it!!!  Give a shout out if any of you find a daily that your enjoying!!!  I will come running:wub:

Thankfully we have the ending scene of this 104-episode daily drama with the marriage proposal of DY and HJ walking happily to their house and GO running happily, after greeting his pet dog, to his dad and mum! What is important to this family is that they are now free from the evil forces and can breath the clean air and live the way they want. 

Thank you chingus for your company these few months. May we meet again at another thread. 

Archived