[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

@daynciThank you for the timeline, it kind of puts things into perspective. I was really surprised that Moonlight had to live shoot because I thought that they had started filming pretty early. But like you said, it takes a long time and hard work to film a saguek... Tbh I think that they'll push back the air date all the way to summer if they're pre-producing the drama. 

And yes, she's home schooled now. She's getting her GRE and maybe apply to college. It must be really hard for these child actors to manage their schedule and study while shooting. Especially if they're live shooting all the time:/ part of me feels like a mom that wants them to enjoy normal high school days. Haha. 

@czakhareina1that video is so cute! she's so shy and YSH is so nice and playful. I wonder if they still have the photos together. Honestly, who would of thought that these two would be in a drama few years later...

MissYou12.jpg

Kim-So-Hyun.jpg

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, an05 said:

@daynciThank you for the timeline, it kind of puts things into perspective. I was really surprised that Moonlight had to live shoot because I thought that they had started filming pretty early. But like you said, it takes a long time and hard work to film a saguek... Tbh I think that they'll push back the air date all the way to summer if they're pre-producing the drama. 

And yes, she's home schooled now. She's getting her GRE and maybe apply to college. It must be really hard for these child actors to manage their schedule and study while shooting. Especially if they're live shooting all the time:/ part of me feels like a mom that wants them to enjoy normal high school days. Haha. 

@czakhareina1that video is so cute! she's so shy and YSH is so nice and playful. I wonder if they still have the photos together. Honestly, who would of thought that these two would be in a drama few years later...

been looking for the picture too... if anyone has it.. would be awesome if it was shared here....

anyway just a thought, usually sagueks would have the younger version as the prologue story or set up story for 1-2 episodes.. those roles played usually by Kim Sohyun and Yoo Suengho... then they move on years later with the character to be played by the older generation who are the main character... 

what if in this drama they do a time jump with an epilogue/closing scene... they get the known look alike of KSH and YSH play as cameo... mainly Son Yejin and So Jisub...
i know it would be weird... but it would be surreal to watch...

sojisubyejin.jpg

@czakhareina1omg that would be awesome haha. Well YSH is known as little So Ji Sub and KSH is known as little Son Ye Jin so that would be a sight! I remember reading a similar comment... someone suggested a drama where YSH and SJS plays brothers and KSH and SYJ play sisters. And then the two older siblings fall in love with each other and so do the younger siblings. lol. 

More pictures from DC and miscallenous Korean websites like "theqoo"

217_DD44158276_C8622_EB06.gif

1478824707.gif1478824707_1.gif

credit: kkuljaem

wow look at how happy the Koreans are with the casting. If they just have a good plot this drama should do well.

Anticipation builds for Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun's pairing in 'Ruler'

2016111212321213374-540x405_99_20161112150303.jpg

59eefe943ca82b2cb65d1e553e41fbe6.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-11-12%2Bat%2B11.44.59%2BPM.png

Ten Asia - Naver: 'Ruler', Anticipation builds for Yoo Seung Ho ♥Kim So Hyun 

1. [+3,461, -121] Wow, their chemistry is exploding just with their photos side by side ㅋㅋ I'm really excited ㅋㅋ

2. [+3,114, -124] I can already feel their chemistry... Yoo Seung Ho met a good partner this time

3. [+2,095, -104] I like these two and their characters are charming  ㅠㅠ Waiting for next year is going to be torture. Looking forward to it

4. [+1,954, -109] Visuals alone are amazing...'Ruler' hit daebak!!!

5. [+1,494, -88] Anticipating their chemistry and acting skills!!

6. [+254, -24] Yeah, he should work with someone close to his age, stop coupling him up with older actresses

7. [+211, -11] I'm a man and I really like Yoo Seung Ho. He didn't delay his enlistment unlike others, he went at an age when he's supposed to go. I hope his drama hits daebak

81278560.2_99_20161111090804.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-11-13%2Bat%2B12.08.12%2BAM.png

Sports Dong A - Naver: 'Kim So Hyun meets Yoo Seung Ho... confirmed for 'Ruler' 

1. [+3,417, -118] Yoo Seung Ho's paired with the right leading lady this time around...

2. [+2,073, -84] Hul daebak.. They're good at acting. They were both in 'Missing You' where Kim So Hyun was a child actress but they didn't have a scene together. Totally excited!!!^o^

3. [+1,764, -75] Wow what a good match. But I thought they were already paired up before ㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+1,226, -66] Wow!!!!

5. [+1,011, -68] I'm so happy ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+219, -12] Yoo Seung Ho really needs to work with a good writer this time

7. [+257, -25] I approve of this casting

8. [+221, -17] The child actresses from 'Moon Sun' are killing it lately ㅋㅋ

It's was REALLY RIDICULOUS that KYJ's and MDBC's fans said that KSH is not deserve with this role and MBC is trying to copy KBS! REALLY RIDICULOUS!  PBG and KYJ are not the only actor born in 1993 and 1999! KYJ is a talent actress and so does KSH! I'm YSH's fan and I really excited when KSH confirm and don't disagree with all the comparison about them. To all the one who dont like KSH, if you dont like her, you can ignore this drama and, please stop compare them.

About the drama, as you know, there are lot of dramas in Korea each year, and of course they can have some similarities but it's doesnt mean that the later is an copy of the fomer! As I know from some Korea's newspapers, Yoo Seung Ho's role is Lee Seon ( 이선 ), people called him as Sado Prince. He is just a prince and die very young because his father (King Yeongjo ) killed him! Sado life is a tragic story with political struggle, fear and mad. Sado has 3 "wifes" but Lee Ga Eun (Kim So Hyun's role) just a woman he loves, not a wife. She stayed beside Sado but didnt have any baronet until when Sado's son became a King. 

The story of this drama is much different from MDBC! It's a hitorical and tragic drama! 

Hi Chingu,

I think all of you have a serious misunderstanding of Yoo Seung Ho's role in his upcoming drama: Ruler - Master of the Mask. His role in this drama is LEE SEON ( 이선 ), the most unfortunate crown prince in Korea's history, also known as SADO PRINCE . Sado Prince is a grandson of King Sukjong - LEE SOON (이순). May be Lee Seon can also be written as Lee Sun. And Lee Soon can also be written as Lee Sun, thats why all of you have misunderstood.

Lee Seon aka Sado Prince became the crown prince due to the prior death of his older brother. However he didnt have a chance to become the King, cause he was killed by his FATHER - King Yeongjo (Sukjong'son).  He was confined in the rice chest. After killing his son, Yeongjo felt regretful  so he gave him the name "Sado" (with the meaning "thinking about with great sorrow and regrets).

Lee Seon has 4 ladies in his life. and the most outstanding is Hyeon Gyeong Lady (His official wife), and Lee Ga Eun - an imperial maid. In Korean novels about Sado, they writes that Lee Ga Eun is the girl whom Sado fell in loves. Unluckily, its a sad sad love story. Hyeon Gyeong is also the best friend and good wife of King Sado. After Sado's death, she with their son  - King JeongJo tried to prove Sado's innocence and show out the truth. Lady Hyeon Gyeong also wrote down the novel name " The Memoirs of Lady HyeonGyeong, and obviously, it's about Sado's life and the truth beneath his dead. She and their son JeongJo also accepts Lee Ga Eun then as Sado's wife.

You can check the Hangeul name of Sado in old korean articles about this drama. and read abt Sado here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Prince_Sado

This is obviously a historical melo drama, not a rom-com and not a copy, for sure. Sado and his story is so famous in Korea. Theres drama and movie abt him: Secret Door and The Throne (Sado) casting Song Kang Ho, Yoo Ah In and Moon Geun Young.

And remember that Lee Seon died before coming the real king. So the title of this drama is to emphasize that Lee Seon (Sado) is the king in poor people's hearts

As a big fan of Yoo Seung Ho, i hope that he can show his perfect method acting through this role. He wants a role which can prove his acting skills, not the role attracting fans. So please understand and support Yoo Seung Ho. Hope that you guys dont disappointed just because this is not a rom-com drama.

@maryofbethany

Long time no see yoopies buddy <3, remember me?

7 minutes ago, Berou said:

@AuroraM thank you for  your enlightment :) , as many of us aren't koreans we can't read the korean news. We thought that maybe YSH was king Sukjong or Yi san ( the son of  Sado Prince ) or  Sado  Prince. i was right about his name being uncorrectly romanised. Then this drama is nothing like MDBC and it shouldn't be compared to . it will be painful, tragic, sad, from the begining to the end.   Ga eun and Lee seon are the historical Romeo and Juliet.  one of them will die in the end. we should prepare boxes of tissues and cry with the leads cause there will be a river of tears!

YSH is always taking tragic roles, we're used to it but i wished for once that this one will have at least a happy ending. He chose it because he's confident that he will do well since melo is his expertise, he shines the most in melos. lastly welcome to you and@jelly filan safi

Hi, nice to meet you. Yes hes Sado Prince but quite diffrent from Romeo, cause he was killed because his father's misunderstanding. YeongJo and Sado had many diffrent political views. MBC said that this drama will focus on how he faced and fought for the poor people in Joseon then, and Lee Ga Eun is the woman he loved, the one supporting him despite her revenge plans. Yah, Sado is also the hardest role for any actors, not the normally melo roles in Korean drama. I think this is the reason why he chose this role. Lee Ga Eun is also a smart girls, so if we cant watch so much kissing, dating scenes, at least we can see how they, together, overcome the bad situation. Even he died in the end, i think that his story inspired all of us alot. If you have free time, you can watch movie "The Throne" (Sado) to know more.

@AuroraM thank you for the insight. I'm actually half Korean but my skills are limited and it's hard for me to read through all of the history. I don't think anyone in this thread was expecting this drama to be a rom com so I'm confused as to why everyone is comparing it to moonlight. I know Yoo Ah In did a fantastic job as Sado in his previous movie so YSH may feel pressured. But as someone who's watched his acting, I'm confident that he will give justice to his own interpretation. I'm glad that they are taking a more fictionalization approach to the drama since Sado has been portrayed few times already. 

And everyone please just ignore the haters. KSH is the most popular child actress internationally so it's understandable that she will get some hate. But it's literally like 2% of international fans. If you look through all major forum and article translation sites all Inetz are thrilled with this pairing and the only place I read any hate comments are few from asianwiki and dramabeans. Not to mention they seem to be written by few of the same people because they repeat the same things over and over again. 

I also looked through Weibo and all I saw were positive comments. Sohyun has like 2 million followers in Weibo as of now im so hoping that all of her Chinese fans will watch and promote the drama. I think international exposure, especially in China is a key aspect to a succeed of drama as well.

Most importantly, Knetz are super happy with the pairing so don't take few words by a small number of Inetz by heart. Domestic success is that most important thing anyways.  Every time a drama comes out, no matter how perfect or talentd the actor is, some people will always complain. We should just ignore them and enjoy the time spent waiting for the drama:)

one more article i'm reading

Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho to pair up for a drama

sao-nu-17-tuoi-kim-so-hyun-ket-doi-cung-

Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho will be pairing up for a new drama!

Kim So Hyun has been casted as the female lead for the upcoming MBC drama entitled ‘Monarch – Owner of the Mask’.

The drama has a historical theme that took place in 1700s Joseon that talks about polotics and romance. Yoo Seung Ho will play the role of a crown prince.

While Kim So Hyun will play the role of a female seeking for revenge from the crown prince but instead she will fall for him.

The premiere of this drama will be next year! Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho have been in one drama before entitled “Mising You”.

http://kpopfighting.com/2016/11/12/kim-so-hyun-and-yoo-seung-ho-to-pair-up-for-a-drama/

i like them so very much...i can't wait first ep

one more article

Kim So-hyun takes starring role in ‘Ruler’

Nov 12,2016

11193457.jpg

11193457.jpg

Actress Kim So-hyun will take the leading female role in the upcoming MBC period drama “Ruler: Master of the Mask.”

According to Kim’s agency Sidus HQ, the actress will star alongside actor Yoo Seung-ho as a woman named Lee Ga-eun who falls in love with Yoo’s character, despite her original intention of taking revenge on him.

The drama was described as a “factional” period drama, taking inspiration from actual historical figures from the Joseon Dynasty in the 1700s. Yoo will play the character of the Crown Prince who must fight against an organization that privatizes water over the eight provinces.

“Yoo will play a character that becomes a ray of hope for his suffering people, and is ready to accept death for the love of his life,” said the drama’s producers in October. The crew said they will enter into the filming stage of production as soon as the entire cast is confirmed.

Kim originally debuted as a child actress for short drama specials on KBS. She achieved mainstream success after starring on the explosively popular MBC drama “Moon Embracing the Sun” in 2012.

By Chung Jin-hong

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3026083

I am someone who follow the MDBC closely, there is nothing like what you guys said. There are about 2,3 posts about the news (in 40,000 post thread). Of course thats the first thought of anyone who read that news, because KYJ and KSH been comparing a lot, then there is a guy 93 as well. In MDBC thread, no one go further to comment like what you guy said. Its the word of mouth that makes thing bigger than something is nothing. One person said in MDBC thread they talk about this, the next one say im so angry they talk about this, the next one say they say our leads dont deserve it. It likes a chicken lose a feather, after the news going around town it becomes 100 chickens die already.

@dayncihi, I think people were just referring to someone on the asianwiki and dramabeans comment section. Like I said, it's probably few people posting the same comments under different names. I'm sure that moonlight thread on here didn't say anything and I don't think anyone was saying that they did. People here were just talking about the asianwiki comments. And Honestly the comparison is inevitable, let's ignore it, accept it, and just move on. Because I'm just excited for the drama and have fun discussing it with all of you:)

MDBC was a light summery fairy-tale drama this is A TOTAL OPPOSITE - dark, melo, sad. Both Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho fit this genre 100%.

I am so so so excited. They both match very well and are incredible actors. We need to pray the script is good that is so important. Fighting!

On 11/10/2016 at 11:42 PM, an05 said:

Personally not a big fan of MBC either. But aren't they more known for sagueks?  if it was a modern drama I would have preferred SBS. I'm honestly more worry about the writer. There's like no information on him or her... the director is okay I think. I didn't really like Shine or Go Crazy and two weeks (which he directed) but I didn't hate them or anything. 

MBC isn't that great but they have a good sageuk record - most of them have been massive hits. 

@Berou yes, lets just move forward and ignore it:) btw do you guys think that since YSH is playing Sado he will have to portray the mental illness that Prince Sado was known to suffer? I know he was known for having schizophrenia and that supposedly drove him slightly mad. I wonder if they would take this approach in this drama as well. 

@gangurharthat's true, MBC have had great sagueks. But not in a while:sweatingbullets: Honestly the last sageuk that did well in MBC was probably Empress KI right? and even that drama had it's own controversies. 

i just watch a few episode of mirror of the witch, dark drama but great sageuk, even the script doesnt get strong through but everything else is great: acting, directing, cinema. Ruler would be something similar vibe to that than moonlight. mirror of the witch was a great drama, but its on cable network so it didnt get much buzz around it. the age gap between the lead are to large (14 years) so there couldnt be any shipper 

one thing im glad is that they start to get to the age of having leading man. i think korea drama are very heavily focus on oppas, mainly the guy get everything, have everything, be the hero. now these girls have stronger acting skills, years of experience, the guys need to catch up to them, not other way around. even the fight are between two girls, not their male lead, so positive side is that they have more power than the boys to talk about. the fight is their fate together, this is just the beginning of that war of fans, the more popular they get, the worse the fight will be, its all because of moon embrace the sun

having shipper, pair couple in drama actually push both profile to wider public. like song song couple, even though both of them are strong enough in their own right, but together they have much nicer image, and that couple will be continue to mention for at least few years (SHY take years between projects)

visually both KSH and YSH are very pretty but somehow i feel they quite shy in person. i watch back few of KSH project, shes likable, but her project is not high profile, maybe popular among the youngs. YSH roles seem quite dark so i havent really check it out.

@daynci I want to watch mirror of the witch but I'm trying to catch up on all of my other dramas right now... I heard good things about it though! I like fusion sageuks with fantasy elements so I'll have to check that out. BTW I remember reading that this drama was going to be a fusion sageuk? Do you guys think that's still true or false? Because it would be awesome to have a little bit of fantasy element to the drama imo.

And yes, I agree that dramas tend to be always male centric. I just hope that this drama won't have KSH playing a damsel in distress the entire time. And as of fan wars, as long as everyone is respectful I see nothing wrong with it. I think it's kind of fun sometimes haha.

I think KSH and YSH seems to have similar personalities (sorry YSH fans, I'm just assuming based on what I've seen in interviews and stuff). They're very serious about their work as actors and try to choose roles that they want to portray rather than going with high profile dramas. KSH is extremely introverted and serious so she may seem unapproachable to some people but I'm sure some people will find that charming and endearing. YSH kind of gives me that melancholic vibe as well, which is probably is why it made sense to pair them in a melodrama. 

Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho both have that cold beauty image in my honest opinion. Like they seems very unapproachable. But that's image might help them to portray their characters better. Both characters sound really sassy, strong headed but also lonely at the same time. Anw I'm way too excited, there's not much info or photo but I come to this thread everyday T.T

Im new here, hi everyone :)

Like all of you, Im super excited about the casting news that I was over the moon for the whole morning. As a fan of Kim So Hyun, im glad that she finally got the male lead she deserves. I mean, for sure So Hyun got a lot chemistry and ships sailing for her previous male partners, but in term of acting skills it has always been her hard carry the show. In Yoo Seung Ho, she got a veteran yet very young and capable actor that she could together fully portray the emotional scenes and different layers of acting skills. To think of it, she with Yoo Seung Ho are such a good fit for melodrama that I already prepare tissues to bawl my eyes out.

As someone already mentioned both So Hyun and Seung Ho seems to be quiet and introvert types that Im curious how they would be behind the scenes. They seem very shy around each other for their 1st meeting in I miss you BTS. But I believe once they get closer, their chemistry will be blooming as its always the case for shy people. Im already excited ahhh

Im in for a melo and heavy saguk drama but I hope for a few lighthearted moments to soften viewers heart. I hope once again So Hyun can deliver the chemistry with Seung Ho oppa who she always admires. I can't wait for next year really, but in the meantime lets get the full casts set up, script reading and everything..

Im camping at this thread for the months ahead, lets be friends everyone!

Archived