[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

@Go Seung Ji I was trying to emember what was that drama he turned down. Thanks for the info. I'm with you I am actually happy turned  Man Living in our House, this is just better  and much appropriate for him  with the character..

I don't watch historical dramas but I'll make exception for this one. It's YSH! :)

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ororomunroe said:

@irilight thanks for inviting me chingu. Title's bit of a mouthful but the storyline sounds interesting so I'm in.

@ororomunroe hi, are you the mods for this thread? if not, then who? anyway to know who is the mods of a new thread? not a crucial question, but have been inquisitive about this for a while.

Guest ororomunroe
3 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@ororomunroe hi, are you the mods for this thread? if not, then who? anyway to know who is the mods of a new thread? not a crucial question, but have been inquisitive about this for a while.

Hi, there isn't a specific moderator for each thread. There are mods for each section. I'm one of the moderators for the Kdrama and kmovies section. So I, along with the others, check on all the threads in this section. Sometimes, youll see multiple mods commenting in the same drama thread; other times, there may be only one or none. But we try to keep an eye on all. 

Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any other queries :)

3 hours ago, Berou said:

we don't know yet, no info has been  given about the characters 

Could "Ga-Eun" possibly be Jang Ok-Jung?. Could "Ga-Eun" possible be Jang Ok-Jung name before she came in the palace?. If I'm not mistaken, this king's love of his life was concubine Jang Ok-Jung. History says that she was the most beautiful lady of Joseon. She's not just a beautiful lady of her time, but she was the most beautiful lady of the whole entire Joseon period.

34 minutes ago, Berou said:

@ddeokbokkii i've  thought about this possibility too. since it is a fantasy drama, they may not strictly follow the historical events and put some new elements. However, i'm going  to wait for further info before making my judgement.

Moreover, Jang Ok Jung is a controversial historical figure , some  dramas portray her as  someone who is a victim and innocent, other portray her as someone who is cunning  (she was known for her greed for power ).  

I'm not Korean, so I don't know much about Korean history. I'm just guessing at this point. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of Korean history can shed some light on this mysterious character(Ga-Eun). 

On 14/10/2016 at 3:26 AM, ddeokbokkii said:

I'm not Korean, so I don't know much about Korean history. I'm just guessing at this point. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of Korean history can shed some light on this mysterious character(Ga-Eun). 

@ddeokbokkii @Berou up till now, we are actually not that 100% sure about Which king exactly is Lee Sun (or Lee Seon), as not enough confirmation and clear info given in official write-out about the king. Let's just take it that it is the King Sukjong of Joseon, the 19th king. His history background and Family tree are splendidly explained by Berou. Say if the King's identity is confirmed, but what about that Woman behind him Ga-Eun? is it totally fictional or just using dramatic liberty to add fake back-stories to some real consort's true story? They just like to take the liberty in adding cheesy romantic lines, adding dramatic stuffs, which is way better than twisting the actual history, as long as they don't twist history, we are all fine with it. If its Sukjong, then Yoo Seung ho will have a hard time making his Crown Prince uniquely his own. because Sukjong was portrayed in ways too many korean dramas before this.

list of Korea Dramas that are involved with King Sukjong are:

(cr. .wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukjong_of_Joseon)

Sukjong's women are as famous as himself, in fact he had quite a collection of outstanding women, So Which concubine / Queen of Sukjong:

1) Royal Noble Consort Suk of the Haeju Choe clan (숙빈 최씨)
the most notable drama portrayal were 'Dong Yi' (Han Hyojoo), in which (portrayed by Ji Jin-hee ) King Sukjong's most respected woman is Dongyi herself, who is actually Suk-Bin Choe. Being a royal concubine who bears a son (future King Yeongjo), which became the later grandfather of Yi San. (King Yi San which is portrayed by another drama "Yi San" ( portrayed by Lee Seo-jin).) Suk-bin Choi openly supported Queen Inhyeon and was against Jang Hui-bin (who history remembers as an evil and cruel woman.) It is also SukBin Choi who help to exposed Jang Hui bin later. A Strong and intelligent lady.

2) Queen Inhyeon of the Yeoheung Min clan (인현왕후 민씨)
everyone who watch Drama "Queen In-hyun's Man", will always remember this saeguk supernatural fictional-plot love story, well this Queen Inhyeon (portrayed by Yoo In-na ). The Second queen of Sukjong, in fact known as one of the Best known Joseon Queens, during the rising of consort Jang Ok-jeong.  Inhyeon was desposed, and her family were exiled. She died young of unknown illness, leaving no issue to Sukjong. This is not a Queen well loved by Sukjong, while she is famous, and well known in virtues,  A virtuous & respected lady.

3) Jang Hui-Bin,  Royal Noble Consort Hui of the Indong Jang clan (희빈 장씨)
( i pray that it is not this one). She was known for her greed for power as a queen, as much as her beauty (famed as the most beautiful Woman of her times). Jang Ok-jeong who produced a son, and psycho the King into making her a Hui-bin, from a lower Su-bin, then proceed to be the 3rd Queen Consort. She single handedly cause an infamous blood-bath event, (including first causing Queen Inhyeon to be disposed which later on reinstated, and finally linked to Queen Inhyeon's unknown cause of death, evidences found including Shamanist priestesses in her chambers . Most of history and drama depict her as scheming and , Even though only one drama 'Jang Ok-jung, Living by Love', acted by Kim Tae-hee, suppoed to white-Paint her as a victim instead of an antagonist.   She beared the Crown Prince Yi Yun, which later became King Gyeongjong. Just hope that no matter how beautiful she is, i don't think she deserved to be that "Ga-Eun"... her name is Jang Ok-Jeong, Nothing close to 'Ga-Eun'.

or, Yoo's character is Not King Sukjong.
(just spirited to do some reading on Sukjong. For me, beside the millions dollars question of "Who play Ga-Eun as loveline of Yoo?" i guess, the character of that Female lead is who? that role must be someone virtuous, sassy and witty, ardently supportive, all in one.. whatever, but cannot be a character that turn antagonist later on. they better write the character Ga-Eun well, else its hard to feel chemistry in having not able to like the female lead.)

(i have been watching saeguk dramas for a while, i liked the scene where Crown princes were persecuted by the Much Younger Queen step-mother. i liked scenes, where princes show teeths and craws... then in the night sneaks out palace or into moonlid garden to look at his one true love, a woman of lower rank who cannot be accepted as even consort (concubine) yet. Like Ga-eun to be a strong, witty, patient, trusting woman that stand as the tree that don't mind hid in his secret garden, yet can shelter his storm, grow tall branches that help him to climb high up to view over the rooftop to look out outside world, to wipe his royal tears which non of his subjects can see, to let the prince shown weakness and be himself to one person only in the world. .

Yoo will be such a powerful crown prince... did we not seen his icy eyes in Warriror Baek Dong soo, did we not see his passionate eyes in I missed you... did we not seen his teary eyes in Remember.... i want him to be merciless, forlorn and agonised at the swtich of a scene.. Yoo can do it.

7 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@valsava

" I like to send one out to...This would be a drama he also would be interested in.. "

If this drama follow the same recipe like the drama Daebak.....I am not watching

@gerrytan8063 is there a drama call Daebak? who acted? curious to know. i watched saeguk a lot, some dump half way though, i can't remember got Daebak?

vlcsnap-2013-10-22-22h03m19s165
(will he look like this?)

3 more articles,

Star Yoo Seung Ho Stars In Period Drama ‘Ruler – Master Of The Mask’ As Crown Prince Lee Seon
http://www.itechpost.com/articles/40530/20161013/yoo-seung-ho-stars-in-period-drama-ruler-–-master-of-the-mask-as-crown-prince-lee-seon.htm

by Vittorio Hernandez

"Yoo Seung Ho's role is that of Crown Prince Lee Seon who battles a lonely war against a powerful organization of elites that wants to place control in private hands the control over the waters of Joseon. A woman whom the prince loves would help him become a figure of hope to people oppressed by the organization of elites in overcoming adversity and becoming a just ruler, according to Soompi.

The role required Yoo Seung Ho to strengthen his body physically and acquire a good understanding of the character he would play. Among the offers that came his way, the actor said he chose the production after he was captivated by the solid script and charismatic personality of the prince. The other title being considered for the period drama is “Monarch: Owner of the Mask,” Allkpop reported."

(highlighted only the paragraph i find interesting. pls read the actual whole article)

another article:

http://www.thebitbag.com/master-mask-spoilers-yoo-seung-ho-crown-prince-set-18th-century/191083

Master of the Mask Spoilers: Yoo Seung Ho To Be A Crown Prince Set In The 18th Century

by Frenalyn Untalan
"Ho is reportedly working hard to prepare himself for his newest role on TV. As part of his preparations, he is studying his character well. He also does workouts to strengthen his body. Since war is expected to take place in the series, the actor has to be physically fit.

According to Ho, he was captivated by the solid script, as well as the charming character of Lee Seon. He also revealed that he will show a part of himself that fans have never seen before. The actor hopes that fans will look forward to what is coming."

(highlighted only the paragraph i find interesting. pls read the actual whole article)

Yoo Seung-ho returns to television; To star as prince in epic historical drama

by Manthan Chheda
http://en.yibada.com/articles/166982/20161013/yoo-seung-ho-returns-to-television-to-star-as-prince-in-new-historical-drama.htm

" A source close to production was all praises for Yoo's acting skills. The insider said that with his acting talent and the level of confidence he exhumes, Yoo will be able to do justice to the role and deliver a power-packed performance."

On 10/12/2016 at 2:32 AM, irilight said:

Thank you @Go Seung Ji for starting the thread, and for all the posts.

Excited for this drama.  For Yoo Seung-Ho and the story line. Sounds relevant in even in today's environment.

Waves also to @_Nachan07 and @jongski

Shoutout to @ororomunroe, @valsava, @suchadiva42, @jadecloud, @evie7, @LavelyShai, @liddi, @alekaonu, @UnniSarah, @bebebisous33, @MaknaeC, @Kasmic

@irilight YAY! Another sageuk to watch. Thanks for the shoutout. I'll check this out for sure. :wub:

Hello everyone :) And thanks @Go Seung Ji for this thread. Boy, you've been on a roll re new threads, haven't you? Cheers.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:54 PM, valsava said:

@irilight Thanks for trhe shout out and Hello everyone, I like to send one out to @gerrytan8063  This would be a drama he also would be interested in.. 

@valsava I'll join ya in shouting out to @gerrytan8063 Am sure he'll love this drama too. We gotta have another sageuk fix after FIP, don't we all? :glasses:

On 10/14/2016 at 10:03 AM, gerrytan8063 said:

@valsava

" I like to send one out to...This would be a drama he also would be interested in.. "

If this drama follow the same recipe like the drama Daebak.....I am not watching

Oops, you're here already.

I haven't watched Jackpot. Perhaps some time in the future. But what's so bad about it that a sageuk lover like you would be so disappointed in? Pray tell.... juseyo...  

This is definitely on my to-watch list! Because it's Yoo Seung Ho! I am glad that this is going to be a pre-produced drama so that I won't hear a news of ysh live shooting. But I still wish he chose a happier project. D: 

Besides that, i think it'd be interesting to watch another historical drama. Yes, I know there have been too many saeguks this year! 

Thank you, @maryofbethany, for mentioning me here! 

CR: KSTAR News Coverage

8 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@jadecloud

"I haven't watched Jackpot. Perhaps some time in the future. But what's so bad about it that a sageuk lover like you would be so disappointed in? Pray tell.... juseyo..."

I leave you to be the judge of that......

Aish. Ok... no prob. Thanks for your reply.

12 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@jadecloud

"I haven't watched Jackpot. Perhaps some time in the future. But what's so bad about it that a sageuk lover like you would be so disappointed in? Pray tell.... juseyo..."

I leave you to be the judge of that......I tend to avoid drama scripted by Kwon Sun Gyu (권순규).

@gerrytan8063 hi, i jump in to chat... huh, that Kwon sun gyu you mentioned, wrote Warrior Baek DongSoo right? i thought that was good, huh.. but of cause i the acting skill of Yoo Seung ho and Ji changwook combined may be the "X-Factor" behind the success.... i only don't like his other 2 script, Jackpot and Goddess of Fire (which actually did make Moon Geunyoung and Kim Beom become a real couple. ) so this is going to be under Kwon Sun Gyu's hand? Jackpot under SBS, and SBS don't do good sageuks . Sageuks are MBC's specialties. Both Warriror BDS and Goddess of FIre is under MBC. thank God Ruler MotM is under MBC.

anyone know Park Hye Jin wrote what drama before? some times the Writer is even more important than the director.

On 10/14/2016 at 8:03 AM, gerrytan8063 said:

@valsava

LOL Come On @gerrytan8063 I don't think it would be like that If it do follow that format I will join you also and not watch it..I'm just interested to see what YY dad life was like before and after he became the CP.. 

On 10/14/2016 at 4:02 PM, maryofbethany said:

@gerrytan8063 is there a drama call Daebak? who acted? curious to know. i watched saeguk a lot, some dump half way though, i can't remember got Daebak?

The drama Royal Gambler aka jackpot ..

@jadecloud & @gerrytan8063  FIP is such a let down.. This one has to be better 

On 16/10/2016 at 10:48 PM, evelynray said:

This is definitely on my to-watch list! Because it's Yoo Seung Ho! I am glad that this is going to be a pre-produced drama so that I won't hear a news of ysh live shooting. But I still wish he chose a happier project. D: 

Besides that, i think it'd be interesting to watch another historical drama. Yes, I know there have been too many saeguks this year! 

Thank you, @maryofbethany, for mentioning me here! 

@evelynray usually when i am engrossed with engrossed with a drama 101%, i will be addicted to reading recaps to find out the diff views, sometimes it takes diff bloggers or recappers to point out diff views or characters analysis that are interesting, a lot of things to learn from recappers, there's always areas where all can agree to disagree, even if ideas are diff.
edramaclouds, one of my fav. was hoping it will be reviewed there. happy you'll be hoppin on.

@valsava what is FIP.... ? yes there's a lot of factor when it comes to drama, not just picking the best Actor. the Actor is the Eyes and voice or tears or smile that tell the story. the Writer is the Brain that lead the whole body. while Director and the rest of the crews function as other vitals... without all these Brain (writer) and Director ... no matter how good is Yoo, it will be wasted talent.

Yoo's drama will have fierce challenge with Lee 'YoungAe's Saimdong, Light's Diary' (SBS) which will be airing from Jan to April (Wed / Thur), both saegeuk. Ruler will also be Wed / Thur... wow.. there shalt indeed 'be blood shed' (at rating war).

Archived