[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

30 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Definitely agree that the point of LS from DB is right on. It pretty much sums up his character and how he changed mentally. At this point, whether he gets redeemed or not will be determined in the upcoming episodes. It wouldn't be fair if QD gets redeemed but he doesn't right? Both are not innocent in their deeds. 

It is now 1 am here where I am so must be around 6pm where you are.

Wow, amazing how apart we all are but found ourselves chingus from dramas we all love :D

Aww yes it is the new one airing soon. It is a fully preproduction drama which is already done filming I believe. I will also see how the first few episodes go and determine if I will be active on it or not. So far, I know one of our fellow K2 chingus will be there too. So I am thinking we may be seeing more of our K2 chingus there as well especially those who are Yoona fans :wink: i will see you there if you watch it and I hope I will also meet some of our Ruler chingus there too. 

@YourHighness . will you be watching The King Loves too? If yes, I will be seeing you there too after Ruler. I will need another saeguk fix haha. I am going to miss Ruler a lot since I have been here since episode 1. Oh man, i can already feel the emptiness of ShyShy :(

Ruler is definitely one of my favorites too and will be on my rewatch list. Once the DVD comes out, I will most likely order it too. I have a collection of my favorite dramas haha. And love the Osts snd instrumentals. So beautiful!

I agree. It is very important to have a good collaboration between writers and directors when it comes to making a drama production complete. There were many flaws in this drama but it also had some very strong grounds. The chemistry for one is outstanding for me. The good leads vs bad leads..quite strong too. We have a hateful villain who makes us question his humanity and we speculated on mostly all the characters. I mainly watched this drama for the plot and YSH/KSH. So when the plot fell behind for me, I knew that YSH and KSH will still deliver strongly for me despite the gaps of the drama. I just really want to watch them in another drama, be it modern or even saeguk again, but with a much more balanced style of writing and a much more flexible directing. The writers for this drama presented quite an imbalance in the elements of their plot mechanisms but I will not deny the fact the cast still held its ground. The actors and actresses are the ones to bring the story to life.

For me, i am not looking for perfect writing. But I do want a stronger writer who knows how to even out the storyline without giving too little or too much, and a director who will be flexible enough to welcome adlibs and still stand firm on how he/she wants to portray from the script to the screen :D

For sure..as the finale is near us..there will be very little spoilers for us now. We are going to have to just wait impatiently ^_^

I am definitely going to watch it for Yoona, I do have high hopes for the drama as it is completely pre production which means hopefully the directing and editing is done well. I will see how it goes, I will participate ever so often, lets see how complex the story and characters can get (: I am not always a fan of sageuk but I want to give this drama a shot, but I fear it would be a sad story no?

Not yet, it is around 4:45pm right now. :D I am one hour behind korea (:

Agreed!! I feel the same with regards to YSH-KSH, I have not watch that many YSH's dramas but I know he is an impressive actor. So definitely this drama really blew me away with his performance. It is very easy to be the 1st leads of a show, it does carry a lot of weight. So its nice to see that despite the not so good writing that the drama does still gain a good amount of support from the korean public. I definitely want the OST- instrumental album for sure! one thing that i do enjoy from saguek dramas is the instrumental lines (:

Spoiler

Correct, it does matter I feel when to to writing. A korean friends tell me that sometimes it may not always be the writers fault as to way things turn out a certain way. Sometimes due to the production budget or the station itself they could also want the story to go a certain way, so not everything that the writer writes gets filmed it can result in cutting, which does affect the overall feel of the story. But yes definitely a more solid writing and directing would have been more advantageous.

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, findit said:

I visited Rule OTP filming location in the spoiler pic (morning calm garden) last weekend. :wub::wub:

<Moonlight drawn by clouds>, <She was pretty>, and many other K-dramas were also filmed there. 

Such a beautiful and peaceful place. About 1-2 hour drive from Seoul, depending on which part of Seoul you depart from. :)

is it the place that have ksh and ysh cardboard? someone post here before, i can't remember where is it....

Hi Monarchs chingus!! I am keeping up with all your posts, but no time to write down and share much thoughts. Working very hard to clear most of my work before Wednesday evening so that I can be free for our finales as well as the few days after to spazz (or rant?) about the ending with all of you here.

I don't think I'd be watching sageuk for a while but do give me a holler if TKL is any good. I might be watching Bride of Water God, and been watching Forest of Secrets, although not active in the thread. 

8 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hi Monarchs chingus!! I am keeping up with all your posts, but no time to write down and share much thoughts. Working very hard to clear most of my work before Wednesday evening so that I can be free for our finales as well as the few days after to spazz (or rant?) about the ending with all of you here.

Just came online to check and omg I'm in the same position as you!! No time to post and still crossing fingers i can catch the finale eps this week!!! Been too busy and still need to backtrack!!

Loving all the bts photos being posted though!!!

13 hours ago, rossy5 said:

they are making the antidotes? :o:w00t: 

12 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I agree. CP's heart is one of the kindest in any saeguek i have seen :wub: LS wanted to better his life but did so by trying to keep what is not his which turned him into a greedy obsess person. Even if i cannot forgive him for his deeds..if our King does, i will too lol. Aww yes. Time has gone by fast. I made many new friends here too and even met some old ones. Will surely miss this thread and everything else that came with it. But we will all still be here for the very end :wink:

yeah our King's happiness is our happines :tongue: hhhhh...that's for sure :wink: 

Judging from it, they are wearing bandages as gloves. Oh yea! ANTIDOTE MAKING TIME! I KNEW IT WOULD BE WB AND GE TO HELP MAKE IT..AND AM SO GLAD MC WILL JOIN TOO :D

Edit

@googleme i believe it is for antidote making :D They are wearing an apron which I think is suitable for the doctors or herbalists at the palace :) so excited for the finale. 

I believe so!! I'm so happy to see them working together to make the antidote!! a new mission to complete :w00t::D 

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

@YourHighness . Sawoo is 師友 meaning fellow learner/disciple from same the master/institute. It can be considered a title.

I'm so sad that this week is the finale, and I happen to be having a busy time, don't really have time to camp here nor to mourn for (or celebrate?:D) the ending of our beloved series... I hope I'll be able to live stream come Wednesday night.

hhhhh don't know if we'll be mourning or celebrating too!! I think both :lol::( 

hope you'll be able to join us then!! :D 

10 hours ago, kiko11 said:

I agree, this is a point not given by the author for him. The character is not clear until the end of her death. It will be very moving if the author makes it aware of it. Probably when she asked why CP did not agree to attack the PS group. CP replied he did not want to sacrifice innocent people for his purposes. This should make her conscious. But unfortunately the author did not develop this side of her.

Expose too many HG characters that ultimately just like to stall drama time only.

I regret this drama, if only we chose the right writer, this drama potentially more successful than this, just look like this drama is so strong attract the audience. I feel sad, the talent and acting expertise of the actors to be wasted. -_--_-

in the few moment we got we can see that even though Hwa Gun's main concern was our King's safety she still got moved by his believes and kindness!!

true but I'm happy with what we got nevertheless and glad that the drama was successful despite the flaws it had and the cast (mainly Yoo Seung Ho and Kim Soo Hyun) were praised for their great acting!! :wub: 

9 hours ago, kaoriharang said:

COOL VIDEO (: it is sad that YSH did not get the opportunity to do more action scenes! that would have been really cool to see :D

let's hope we'll get to see him in action in the couple upcoming final episode :wub::wub::wub: (and have an actual action role in the future :blush:)

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@sakura2016 chingu, found myself a new profile picture haha. I love my OTP! :tongue:

hhhhhhhhh yeah I realised it!! :wink: loved it too!!:wub: will change it another time with our OTP final moment together in the drama later on? :wink: 

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hi chingu!! Fighting with your work and hopefully you'll be satisfied with the ending that you'll be spazzing with us not ranting :wink::D hhhhh

hhhhhhhh yeah that's how to learn korean!! :lol::D 

cr: iamprincessrahay

cr: sinema911

:wub: 

cr: wow_kimsohyun_fandom 

17 minutes ago, faye406 said:

Mae Chang IG updates... The end is near guys

I hope our dear monarchs can translate this too..

In the middle of the picture we can see GE , WB and MC

And also three DM's ministers too...

can't really translate but from what I managed to get she was happy to be part of Ruler with her role and being with all the cast and crue made the journey more happy for her!! 

will the other 3 ministers help in making the antidote too? the Queen's brother helpin is no surprise, and the other one who thaught Lee Seon will marry his daughter joining is no surprise too since his name was on the hit list but the other one who is loyal to Dea Mok joining is a surprise!! what made him join our King's team to make the antidote? :huh: 

39 minutes ago, faye406 said:

Mae Chang IG updates... The end is near guys

I hope our dear monarchs can translate this too..

In the middle of the picture we can see GE , WB and MC

And also three DM's ministers too...

The feeling that everything will be over in 4 days T_T

@sakura2016 ooooh I thought the PSH ministers were there to get the antidote given they are dressed all in white. Looks like our King had mercy to everybody and heals everyone!! And yay for GE-MC-WB trio! 

3 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

The feeling that everything will be over in 4 days T_T

@sakura2016 ooooh I thought the PSH ministers were there to get the antidote given they are dressed all in white. Looks like our King had mercy to everybody and heals everyone!! And yay for GE-MC-WB trio! 

:( 

will they need to wear white to get the antidote? :huh: why only them, others will need the antidote too, so I think they are there to help!! and did you have doubt that our King was planning on saving everyone? that's his mission in life hhhhhh I love him for it :wub: 

Morning chingus!! It is Monday now for me which means it is Tuesday for some of you too. The finale is near.

Before I backtrack, just saw the new IG picture! Aww..it really does feel like the end! :bawling: i zoomed in to see if Jeonha was there but didn't see him. Aww i am going to miss being a Zoomer :bawling:

But..the ministers all dressed in white..reminds me of Magistrate Han dressed all in white before being executed? So perhaps Jeonha will have them arrested for the time being? Don't think he will kill them but he may hold a trial for them to sentence them for their wrongs. He won't kill them but I feel he will still punish them in some way. Stripping their titles, exile, demotion..are all possible punishments that won't include death.

Edit

@sakura2016 haha you know me too well. I will definitely change my profile pic once another beautiful OTP moment comes out :wink:

@jakey09 i am feeling sad too :( an enjoyable journey indeed! 

@herina_90 thanks for the pic! I really feel the ending is coming soon! :( but i think the ministers all dressed in white will mean imprisonment :huh: reminds me of when GE and her dad was thrown in prison. Both wore white.

@faye406 thanks for the pic! The ending is near! I feel so bittersweet! :(

44 minutes ago, jakey09 said:

The end is oh so near! I'm feeling sad. It was an enjoyable journey. 

it was indeed!! this is the 1st time for me to have many companie in throwing tables, pots, pans even shoes :lol: I'll really miss those days!! :wub::( 

42 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Morning chingus!! It is Monday now for me which means it is Tuesday for some of you too. The finale is near.

Before I backtrack, just saw the new IG picture! Aww..it really does feel like the end! :bawling: i zoomed in to see if Jeonha was there but didn't see him. Aww i am going to miss being a Zoomer :bawling:

But..the ministers all dressed in white..reminds me of Magistrate Han dressed all in white before being executed? So perhaps Jeonha will have them arrested for the time being? Don't think he will kill them but he may hold a trial for them to sentence them for their wrongs. He won't kill them but I feel he will still punish them in some way. Stripping their titles, exile, demotion..are all possible punishments that won't include death.

Edit

@sakura2016 haha you know me too well. I will definitely change my profile pic once another beautiful OTP moment comes out :wink:

hhhhhh I did the same too!! :lol::tongue:...yeah I'll miss that too :( 

it can be but why are they with Ga Eun, Woo Bo and Guisang who are making the antidote? shouldn't there be in different seperate places if the ministers are punished?!! 

hhhhhhhhhh see? I know you realy well by now!! :lol::wink: 

8 hours ago, kaoriharang said:

I am definitely going to watch it for Yoona, I do have high hopes for the drama as it is completely pre production which means hopefully the directing and editing is done well. I will see how it goes, I will participate ever so often, lets see how complex the story and characters can get (: I am not always a fan of sageuk but I want to give this drama a shot, but I fear it would be a sad story no?

Not yet, it is around 4:45pm right now. :D I am one hour behind korea (:

Agreed!! I feel the same with regards to YSH-KSH, I have not watch that many YSH's dramas but I know he is an impressive actor. So definitely this drama really blew me away with his performance. It is very easy to be the 1st leads of a show, it does carry a lot of weight. So its nice to see that despite the not so good writing that the drama does still gain a good amount of support from the korean public. I definitely want the OST- instrumental album for sure! one thing that i do enjoy from saguek dramas is the instrumental lines (:

Reveal hidden contents

Correct, it does matter I feel when to to writing. A korean friends tell me that sometimes it may not always be the writers fault as to way things turn out a certain way. Sometimes due to the production budget or the station itself they could also want the story to go a certain way, so not everything that the writer writes gets filmed it can result in cutting, which does affect the overall feel of the story. But yes definitely a more solid writing and directing would have been more advantageous.

Yes. It is a fully preproduction drama which has finished filming already. I am watching it because the writer is the one for Faith (one of my fave dramas) and Healer so for sure, it will have some strong grounds. I am a fan of saeguks but am very picky on which ones I watch. So i don't watch it often but if i do, i usually follow through :) aww..then you and I will most likely meet there then after Ruler :D but we shall discuss this more over on that thread since I don't want to go off topic here :)

YSH does so well in many genres. Even his role as CP was amazing despite the flaws. He is able to portray the role of Jeonha, and his personality of how the King he wants to be, shines through. As I stated, he is one of the characters that I feel is much stronger for me to analyze. He has a way with words to the people and his purposes as King remains consistent. To me, if the writer did one thing strongly, it was making CP a different kind of King, one that I feel I haven't seen much in other saeguks before. He is not only young and wise but big hearted and loving towards his people. And to what you said about budgets and such, very true. Sometimes it may not be the fault of writers since they can only include so much onscreen. However, it is also why I want a stronger writer and more flexible director next time if ShyShy couple reunites again. Even with budget situations, it is still doable to fix flaws if all the elements are blended well :)

But..for Ruler, I am impressed with their efforts and appreciate the hard work everyone gave us in order to have this drama be complete! Now, every one can rest up and enjoy the free time until their next projects :wink:

Ruler fighting! Monarchs fighting too! :D

Edit

@sakura2016 awwww..i too will miss those days of throwing so many objects as a sign of our frustrations hahaha. We really were rebels when it came to making sure our King claim his place lol. Hm..i was thinking perhaps it is just a group picture and the ministers were there too to shoot their scenes as well. For some reason, i keep thinking they wouldn't need to be all in white just to get the antidote. They can be in their normal minister clothes and still get the antidote. Which is why I think they may be arrested for the moment. Good thing is..we have 1 or 2 more days to find out the answer. Sad thing is..it is the finale :bawling: haha yes you know me too well now. It happens when chingus who have followed this drama from start to finish have such a good and memorable time here :D

i've been quiet since last week and havent watch full the downloaded episode of last week.  Sigh~~

anyway,  i really hate the LS scene.  He was beyond was his right.  the last scene was the most hateful when our CP appear with his rightful robe and towards the throne.  how dare him to challenge our CP like that.  shouting at him!!? Aren't u the crazy one.  Eventhough our CP's father together with DM killed to get the throne,  but our CP born to be royal. Dont u feel shame claiming as the King in front ur birth mother, LS?!  really getting on my nerve. 

That's for now.  Nite

8 minutes ago, an-naum said:

i've been quiet since last week and havent watch full the downloaded episode of last week.  Sigh~~

anyway,  i really hate the LS scene.  He was beyond was his right.  the last scene was the most hateful when our CP appear with his rightful robe and towards the throne.  how dare him to challenge our CP like that.  shouting at him!!? Aren't u the crazy one.  Eventhough our CP's father together with DM killed to get the throne,  but our CP born to be royal. Dont u feel shame claiming as the King in front ur birth mother, LS?!  really getting on my nerve. 

That's for now.  Nite

Hi Chingu! 

Trust me, you are not the only one feeling that way towards LS. When he challenged the real CP at the end, we can easily see how nervous and scared he is whereas the real one is confident and firm. LS knows very well at that point, he will lose everything so since he has already gone too far, will keep going. With his greed and obsession to want everything and steal what is not his, he no longer cares about what anyone thinks. As he told his mom..'i will do what I want.' And him becoming the real King is what he wants. 

Hope you will join us for the finale :)

28 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@sakura2016 awwww..i too will miss those days of throwing so many objects as a sign of our frustrations hahaha. We really were rebels when it came to making sure our King claim his place lol. Hm..i was thinking perhaps it is just a group picture and the ministers were there too to shoot their scenes as well. For some reason, i keep thinking they wouldn't need to be all in white just to get the antidote. They can be in their normal minister clothes and still get the antidote. Which is why I think they may be arrested for the moment. Good thing is..we have 1 or 2 more days to find out the answer. Sad thing is..it is the finale :bawling: haha yes you know me too well now. It happens when chingus who have followed this drama from start to finish have such a good and memorable time here :D

hhhhhhhh that's our love for our King!! :wub::lol:  

I agree with you on wearing all white since they can still wear their hanboks if they were just fired from their positions and still help with making the antidote but can be cells they were in close to where the others were filming making the antidotes and so had a group picture? :huh: 

we will get our answers, our King sitting in his throne distroying Pyunsoohwe becoming a great Ruler beside his loving Queen :heart: but it will all ends then :(

hhhhhhhh happy to know all of you here :heart:

16 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:
32 minutes ago, an-naum said:

That's for now.  Nite

Hi Chingu! 

Trust me, you are not the only one feeling that way towards LS. When he challenged the real CP at the end, we can easily see how nervous and scared he is whereas the real one is confident and firm. LS knows very well at that point, he will lose everything so since he has already gone too far, will keep going. With his greed and obsession to want everything and steal what is not his, he no longer cares about what anyone thinks. As he told his mom..'i will do what I want.' And him becoming the real King is what he wants. 

Hope you will join us for the finale :)

he even called the Queen "his" mother without blinking an eye!! I feel sorry for his mother!!

though Lee Seon still think he has Dea Mok and his people having his back against our King and will help him to deny our King revealation that he's the real King but still Lee Seon is shaking with fear against our King knowing that he's fake against the Real one!! :naughty: 

Archived