[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

Yoo Seung-ho and Kim So-hyeon-I to star in MBC "Monarch"

photo782975.jpg

Yoo Seung-ho and Kim So-hyeon-I are starring in the new MBC drama "Monarch".

"Monarch" is a fiction historical drama that deals with the privatization of water during the 1700s and a prince that fights against stronger powers. The addition of Yoo Seung-ho is already attracting attention.

Kim So-hyeon-I takes on the character of Lee Ga-eun, a kind and wise girl who plans to take revenge on the prince that kills her father but falls in love with him instead.

Kim So-hyeon-I has been building on her career and this will be her first historical drama for the first time since the 2012 dramas "The Sun and the Moon" and "The Rooftop Prince".

"Monarch" aims for release next year.

credit Hancinema | Nov 12 2016

casting of YSH in the news...

Camping here... camp-fire-smiley.gif cause i will be Waiting.. and waiting... waiting..... and.... waiting

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim So-hyun takes starring role in ‘Ruler’

11193457.jpg

Actress Kim So-hyun will take the leading female role in the upcoming MBC period drama “Ruler: Master of the Mask.”

According to Kim’s agency Sidus HQ, the actress will star alongside actor Yoo Seung-ho as a woman named Lee Ga-eun who falls in love with Yoo’s character, despite her original intention of taking revenge on him.

The drama was described as a “factional” period drama, taking inspiration from actual historical figures from the Joseon Dynasty in the 1700s. Yoo will play the character of the Crown Prince who must fight against an organization that privatizes water over the eight provinces.

“Yoo will play a character that becomes a ray of hope for his suffering people, and is ready to accept death for the love of his life,” said the drama’s producers in October. The crew said they will enter into the filming stage of production as soon as the entire cast is confirmed.

Kim originally debuted as a child actress for short drama specials on KBS. She achieved mainstream success after starring on the explosively popular MBC drama “Moon Embracing the Sun” in 2012.

By Chung Jin-hong  | korea joong ang daily

1 hour ago, czakhareina1 said:

Kim So-hyun takes starring role in ‘Ruler’

Actress Kim So-hyun will take the leading female role in the upcoming MBC period drama “Ruler: Master of the Mask.”

According to Kim’s agency Sidus HQ, the actress will star alongside actor Yoo Seung-ho as a woman named Lee Ga-eun who falls in love with Yoo’s character, despite her original intention of taking revenge on him.

The drama was described as a “factional” period drama, taking inspiration from actual historical figures from the Joseon Dynasty in the 1700s. Yoo will play the character of the Crown Prince who must fight against an organization that privatizes water over the eight provinces.

“Yoo will play a character that becomes a ray of hope for his suffering people, and is ready to accept death for the love of his life,” said the drama’s producers in October. The crew said they will enter into the filming stage of production as soon as the entire cast is confirmed.

Kim originally debuted as a child actress for short drama specials on KBS. She achieved mainstream success after starring on the explosively popular MBC drama “Moon Embracing the Sun” in 2012.

By Chung Jin-hong  | korea joong ang daily

@czakhareina
when come to saeguk.. i am very concern with the link to which historical figure... even if they go taking 'inspiration' from historical figures and make it Factional... did i see wrongly Factional? is it suppose to mean Fictional? actually i preferred they play with scriptwritting- liberty and morph a little from historical events and characters,.. then they take just something from web-toon... eg. they filled in the imaginary events or romances into those unknown years of real historical people.,.. like adding romances or fights or spiced up assassinations... then to create a total new fictional characters.

so, now my concern is which Crown prince is Yoo acting as? definitely Ga Eun is fictional right? but nevermind.
wow.. it be news if really Yoo has a part in handpicked KSH out.. that i can bet the chemistry they will have... .oh dear am i supose to delulu about their skinship scenes..... even before they even start acting together in a first scene.
someone mentioned here, that a successful drama, actor contribute to 30% while production 70%... i couldnt agree more..  while the proportion i may differ a little to 50 to 50.... may a lousy writing script can ruin everything and handicap the actor skills... but the script at second half lost direction and been sway by fans demands... or spin too fast without explaining many risen questions leaving too many plotholes, and at second half no time to address the questions... all these contribute to the script has a total change direction or pace affected by script writer lost and affected by fans' demand and ranting. and i heard sometimes director anyhow cut scenes away from what the writers wrote....
hope this will not happened in Ruler. (recent case of W 2 world. director cut certain scene away from writernim, when the first half enchanted you, and a major pivotal turn which make the characters 'changed their nature or characters' at second half... the pace is diff. and fans can't help ranting..... when all the question can't be answered with much too little times given at second half...  i loved W dearly , so it is painful to watch how some are disappointed with the writing. Hope with 20 ep in the bag.. .Ruler has enough times to tell his story, and Casts has enough time to build up chemistry and screen times given.
so yes, Script writing act as the Brain, Director support as the vitals and bones... . while actors all are the senses.. the eyes, ears, mouth that tell the story of what the brain want to say.  but we fans, must first and foremost , be a willing audience, slow to rant, slow to angry, slow to demand... READY to listen, to watch, to feel. to forgive... more to appreicate.

side note; hope that there is no second lead syndrome kind of ship wars in this dramas. i have enough of seeing two ships arising out of one single dramas.. and making two leads fight over one girl or two girls fight over one hunk.... if a story is profoundly written, there is no need for tirangle relationship to angst, to cause jealousy, and NOBLE IDIOCY !

Idk, people esp international fan usually said Kim So Hyun's drama are always the same, she always took on highschool role. But I see no problem with that, I mean I actually like all her roles a lot and in all her drama, the female lead usually is't useless and need the male lead's help that much. In school 2015, Eunbi is useless and way too kind but we also has Eunbyul who is fierce and confident. In Page Turner, Yoo Seul is sharp-tongued and strong, and talented even when she's blind. In let's fight ghost, we get a sassy Hyunji, who also very good at fighting. And even in her child actor days, all the roles she took were either villian or strong headed. She even good at action sences, so I see no problem if this drama needs the female lead to fight (I actually hope for that to happen). Anw, after reading the female character description, I hope the writer REALLY MEANS that when she writes, I hope for a strong and intelligent female lead who can take care of her own problem without the help of the crown prince.

Another article about the casting of Ruler and the comments are so positive and nice. They are all looking forward to Seungho's first ever younger female lead and a lot say that just put these 2 photos together and you can see their chemistry explodes already. And they call them ViGang couple lols (aka Visuals Gangster couple)

Ppl say Seungho doesn't have an eye for drama? But isn't all his drama are rating success?

Kim Sae Ron recently did mirror of the witch as well. I wouldnt say these are their graduation projects. They are still teenage, still in high school, their personality, image still cute, innocent, let them be. song hye kyo, son ye jin, jun ji hyn, park shin hye break out projects were when they were 18-20. Let the girls be kid for another two, three years, they have whole their life to be adults. 

Please give some information about YSH. This early in the game there is no fan war or attachtment to the drama yet. in fan thread, there are not many neuture comments, mainly on one side, 

23 hours ago, Berou said:

MBDC fans on the soompi thread talked about the casting and said that MBC is trying copying KBS and creating the park bo gum-kim yoo jung hype. so it is inevitable that this drama will be compared to the other and will get hate by the boyoo shippers.  in the future, when the drama,  is airing i would like everyone to focus on ruler and refrain themselves from talking about other actors/ actresses or other dramas, so that this thread will be peaceful.thanks.

This is unfortunate, I fail to understand why people making are comparisons when this drama has not even aired yet. Gosh I'm sure there are other dramas where there is a 6 year difference between the leads.  If people on another thread want to get upset about another drama's casting, that's their problem not ours. We should just stick to this thread.  Yoo Seung Ho has been around for a long time and to me is the most talented actor in his age group. I'm not throwing shade to any of the other actors his age, I'm basing this on my preference. I'm not going to get upset if someone thinks differently.  I

15 hours ago, czakhareina1 said:

Camping here... camp-fire-smiley.gif cause i will be Waiting.. and waiting... waiting..... and.... waiting

Hello! Looks like we are going to be waiting, waiting together for another drama.Does anyone know when this is going to air?

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.sg/2016/11/kim-so-hyun-and-yoo-seung-ho-cast-as.html
Kim so Hyun And Yoo Seung Ho Cast As Lead For Ruler

20161111_1478822635_14251400_1.jpg

Source: TV Report via Nate

1. [+442, -16] Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun match so well. Both of them are great actors to boot, finally some casting news I can get behind!!

2. [+398, -12] Visual daebak ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Seung Ho-ya ㅠㅠㅠ let's hit daebak for real this time ㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+325, -12] Nevermind their acting, I'm grateful enough for their visuals ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+24, -0] Farewell to Kim Yoo Jung and Park Bogum, now we get Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho ㅎㅎ;;; I'm so grateful ㅋ

5. [+23, -0] The casting alone will bring in the younger audience while the historical drama story will bring in the older audience. All they need is a good plot and they're set to go..

6. [+23, -5] Well this is a must watch

7. [+22, -2] Daebak ㅠㅠㅠ thank you ㅠㅠㅠ finally a lead worthy female casting ㅠㅠ

8. [+22, -3] Kim So Hyun mentions Yoo Seung Ho several times as a senior she'd love to learn acting from. Finally!!! Really loving this casting

9. [+20, -2] Yoo Seung Ho looks so young that he really does need a partner who's just as young looking. This is just perfect ㅎㅎ His past partner Park Min Young was pretty but... the age gap was just too apparent for me to be able to focus ㅠㅠ

10. [+17, -0] This is a chemistry that can rival that of Kim Yoo Jung and Park Bogum's... can't wait!!

11. [+17, -3] Acting check, visuals check, no holes in this drama

12. [+15, -0] Yes, this is what viewers want ㅋㅋ I'm so happy ㅋㅋ Stop it with sticking singers everywhere in lead positions who are looking to improve ㅋㅋ finally a drama I can watch without worry

Spoiler

1 hour ago, evie7 said:

This is unfortunate, I fail to understand why people making are comparisons when this drama has not even aired yet. Gosh I'm sure there are other dramas where there is a 6 year difference between the leads.  If people on another thread want to get upset about another drama's casting, that's their problem not ours. We should just stick to this thread.  Yoo Seung Ho has been around for a long time and to me is the most talented actor in his age group. I'm not throwing shade to any of the other actors his age, I'm basing this on my preference. I'm not going to get upset if someone thinks differently.  I

Hello! Looks like we are going to be waiting, waiting together for another drama.Does anyone know when this is going to air?

the last time i heard was Feb 2017. anyone has later news?
next year there are quite a few heavy weigh Saeguk near beginning of the year, beside Ruler. so i am worry for Ruler.

it 'crash' with Lee Young Ae's Saimdang: Light's Diary, from SBS, release Jan 2017
http://asianwiki.com/Saimdang,_Light's_Diary

funny thing is MBC also has another Saeguk in her belt. "The King is in Love"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_Loves

so now i am blur which one will air first.

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/23899/20161111/kim-so-hyun-to-lead-new-historical-drama-with-yoo-seung-ho.htm

so-it-has-been-confirmed-kim-so-hyun-to-

Kim So Hyun to Lead New Historical Drama with Yoo Seung Ho

So it has been confirmed! Kim So Hyun will lead in a new historical drama with Yoo Seung Ho.

MBC finally revealed the lead actress of its upcoming historical drama 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask'. As MBC finally confirmed today, November 11, actress Kim So Hyun will take the female lead role in the said drama.

Before the news about Kim So Hyun leading the new historical drama spread the net, it was Yoo Seung Ho's name who first came into the picture. Rumors about the actor taking the male lead role had been going around the net since August this year. Although the actor's agency, San Entertainment, admitted in a past interview that the actor actually received an offer to do the male lead role, they didn't confirm anything. "It is true that he received the offer to appear in 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask'; however, it's just one of the productions he's reviewing, and nothing is confirmed," the agency once said.  

It was October this year when it was finally confirmed that Yoo Seung Ho officially took the role. However, the name of the actress who will play the female lead role remains a mystery.

And now, 30 days after Yoo Seung Ho was confirmed to act the male lead role, MBC finally announced who the lead actress will be. And fans are extremely excited upon learning that Kim So Hyun will lead the new historical drama. Some of the fans said they miss seeing the actress in a hanbok.

Kim So Hyun to lead new historical drama about the desperate struggles of a crown prince (played by Yoo Seung Ho) who was fighting for privatization back in 1700s Joseon. Kim So Hyun will play the role of a woman who sought revenge against the crown prince but ended up falling in love with him. 'Monarch - Owner of the Mask' is a fictional story that deals with politics and romance.

The drama is set to start filming this December and will start airing January next year.

@evie7 haha. i was searching for your answer; here u goes. Jan 2017. (hope their news is correct. which means it did crash with Lee Young Ae's Saimdong Light's diary.
but one thing, that Saimdong is just like Scarlet Heart. making a historical events thru the name of supernatural course, and thru time travel... hope Yoo's takes on Ruler is nothing supernatural, nor sweet cute web-toon base. i want a melo-drama, this is Yoo's gift.

Hm I'm pretty sure I read that this drama is fully pre-produced. I don't think it's possible for them to air it in January, that's way too early. Sageuks take a long time to film. If the only have like a month before the air date, they'll be liveshooting the whole time. I'm pretty sure I read that this drama will air sometime around MARCH 2017. So unless they push back saimdan's time slot, they won't be in direct competition. I wonder whether yoona and siwan's drama is pre-produced as well.  I'm kind of wary of pre-produced dramas right now since the only one that did well  is DOTS. I feel like every other pre-produced drama didn't do that great. I guess it's because they don't have the privilege to change the script in response to feedback from the audience. And not to mention pre-produced dramas ALWAYS gets pushed back to a different air date. So I fear that this drama may not air until like summer....well, guess I don't mind that much if they are taking time for quality. I just want to see my babies on screen fast though:) And yes, I hope people don't make comparisons to other dramas. every dramas have their own charm and Ruler should have it's own charm as well.

3 minutes ago, an05 said:

Hm I'm pretty sure I read that this drama is fully pre-produced. I don't think it's possible for them to air it in January, that's way too early. Sageuks take a long time to film. If the only have like a month before the air date, they'll be liveshooting the whole time. I'm pretty sure I read that this drama will air sometime around MARCH 2017. I'm kind of wary of pre-produced dramas right now since the only one that did well  is DOTS. I feel like every other pre-produced drama didn't do that great. I guess it's because they don't have the privilege to change the script in response to feedback from the audience. And yes, I hope people don't make comparisons to other dramas. every dramas have their own charm and Ruler should have it's own charm as well.

@an05 the last time i heard it was supposed to be aired around Feb. that was what i told Eve7. now just have to wait and see an official annoucment. like u said, correctly, i rather they spend a considerably amount of time to produce it in details, if it Pre Produced, then i rather it take a later time to air, we all don't mind waiting. as long as its worth it. if it is historical with liberty in fictionalize details such as characters describtion and character's relationships., with their leeway only extend to characters that are not written in history itself. then there's not much liberty in changing ending character's fate... because History already decide the Ending. The direction of future dramas seems to be working towards preproduction, that the trend it is going, Saimdong Light Diary also preproduced. which means the writing of the Writers must be very confidence, and fans has no 'power' in deciding 'fate' of any unexpected characters that fans liked or disliked. Saeguk controlled by History can goes this way. While ending of Scarlet Heart and MoonLight can still be sway by Fans' preferrance. since its more tilted towarded fictional. while Wang So is real figure, but H.S. is fictional, so Scarlet Heart's ending can be changed to be diff from the chinese drama... but if HS character is written in history, then Preproduction or not also no effect on ending. which means like SH. actually can have a happy ending since not restricted by history, problems is it is proproduced, so too late to change any thing after seeing fans' comments and displeasure.  yeah, i hope Ruler don't give us sad ending. so the Real Joseon King is which one is important.

problem now is, which Joseon King is Yoo going to be? anyone has the answer in near future, kindly reveal here.

Yup! I hope the wait is worth it! here are some pretty pictures to stare at while you wait. These are all from DC korea. I'm also excited to see the other cast members. I hope the side characters are also interesting and conducive to the story. Sometimes I feel like they just add side characters as second love interests pointlessly. I don't mind if there are 2nd leads but I want them to be interesting not just plot devices .

download.jsp?FileID=38495770download.jsp?FileID=38502423

5 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

the last time i heard was Feb 2017. anyone has later news?
next year there are quite a few heavy weigh Saeguk near beginning of the year, beside Ruler. so i am worry for Ruler.

Goodness I hadn't even thought about the competition yet, but it sounds like the networks are getting ready for another 'Sageuk ratings death match.' :crazy: I know ratings are important but there's not much we that we can do about them. Best to save those worries when the drama is airing. As far as what king he's going to play I have no idea chingu, perhaps @valsava my sageuk expert may know.

@Berou March sounds good but I hope we don't have to wait longer than that. I have a feeling now that the leads are set, the rest of the casting will be quick.

I checked the articles out at Dramabeans, The first one in August did state it's supposed to be pre-produced. Then silly me:phew: I found them on the first page of this thread

@an05 I agree that what really sets a great drama apart from a good drama is the strength of the supporting cast and the development of their storylines. Thanks for the pics. I love the last ones. they are going to look so good together.

49 minutes ago, evie7 said:

Goodness I hadn't even thought about the competition yet, but it sounds like the networks are getting ready for another 'Sageuk ratings death match.' :crazy: I know ratings are important but there's not much we that we can do about them. Best to save those worries when the drama is airing. As far as what king he's going to play I have no idea chingu, perhaps @valsava my sageuk expert may know.

@Berou March sounds good but I hope we don't have to wait longer than that. I have a feeling now that the leads are set, the rest of the casting will be quick.

I checked the articles out at Dramabeans, The first one in August did state it's supposed to be pre-produced. Then silly me:phew: I found them on the first page of this thread

@an05 I agree that what really sets a great drama apart from a good drama is the strength of the supporting cast and the development of their storylines. Thanks for the pics. I love the last ones. they are going to look so good together.

@evie7 yes. Haha. Silly me. The audience are diff set of fans. Saimdong cater to the older fans for Lee Young Ae and more serious saeguk, ours are younger fans, no compare apples and oranges. I always worry too much. Agreed, the plot must be captivating, not repetition. 

Like what u said, supporting cast well written enhanced what main casts when supporting cast interact well with the main Leads, are  like hands and legs do help the eyes and mouth to show emotions n enhanced excitment, tensions, .e.g.. Give the prince an understanding male friend that he can pour his woes to if Female Lead was taken away temporary, put a wise senior councillor that help to plot Prince's strategies well, or a vicious antagonist not tje stereotype kind, a queen mother that is hypocrites and only toll the end then reveal is the chief schemer, chief nemesis. All these supporting casts if writing well with memorable lines, will help build chemistry with leads, and make story believable. Then it will not be "kust another saeguk" only. I like Yi San and Dong Yi.

Uwaahh. I'm so happy for the casting of Kim So Hyun! I remembered in Missing You, So Hyun was so starstruck with Yoo Seung Ho when taping and she was blushing like a little girl seeing her crush. So cute. 

So Hyun is also a very good actress. I can imagine her chemistry with YSH already :) 

I am pretty sure this has been shared already but it is just so freakin cutre I have been replaying it countless times every since both actors confirmed.
kim Sohyun came back to the set of MIssing You to lend her voice as the young Sooyeon (Yoon Eunhye) and get giddy shy as she take a picture with Yoo Seungho..

and by 2017 they will be the leading lead opposite each other for this drama

i reference MDBC timeline so you could see how it goes for ruler: 

march: annoucement for the male lead

april: announcement for the female lead

may: first script reading

june: first filming

august: press conference and first screen

october: liveshooting and end 18 episodes

- moon lovers film in jan, end june for 20 episodes, start showing august

so if its liveshooting it will be around march, if its fully pre production it will push to later middle or late half of the year

its sageuk so lots of production gonna come in: the costume, the palace, the training. its cold weather so the live shooting will be really hard.

i read somewhere that kim so hyun drop school/home school to focus on acting?

Archived