[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Princess Agents 特工皇妃楚乔传

sugarplum892

12 minutes ago, canstand said:

After reading almost 42 pages of you guys discussing How YWY and CQ are the soulmates and how in love they are. I have to say something about YX and CQ, as I am a fan of YX.

In the original novel, CHU QIAO was in love with Yan Xun, They had loved each other for more than 10 years, and they spent 10 years together to build their empire after Yan Xun's entire family was massacred. There were 180 chapters in the original novel, but the writer was not able to control the characters and the plot line. Eventually, Yan Xun became OOC and the writer could not salvage that, so she changed the main male lead to Yue in the last 30 chapters of the whole novel. Chu Qiao and Yan Xun had gone their separate ways after chapter 150.

In Chinese Drama, female lead normally can only develop love interest towards the main male lead. As the result, the editor of this drama expanded the story line between Yue and Chu Qiao, so the viewers would know that Yue is the main lead and love interest of Chu Qiao.

However, Yan Xun was supposed to be the main lead of the novel. The writer spent 150 chapters on depicting the love between Yan Xun and Chu Qiao. The whole story was base on them; therefore, they could not delete all the interactions between Chu Qiao and Yan Xun, which eventually result in confusion.

So, I could not stand and watch you guys saying that CQ never loved YX or what-so-ever. The only reason that CQ could not love YX in the drama is Chinese drama could not allow love-triangle exist. 

I'm feeling so sorry and pity for YX, because some of you believe that he's evil inside and he was just using CQ's love to get what he wants. I just can't stand and watch that, that actually makes my heart broken.

Thanks for sharing your insights! It's always nice hearing the opinions of someone who has read the novel. You have to understand that a lot of people here have not read the novel/cannot read Chinese so they are forming the opinions based what the drama is portraying, which is lots of Yuewen Yue/Xing'er moments from the beginning. The drama is basically spoon feeding you that Yuewen Yue and Xing'er developed feeling for each other since the beginning. The drama seems to deviate from the novel a lot, based on what you said. Are you disappointed with how the drama is going so far?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fluffychim1013 said:

Thanks for sharing your insights! It's always nice hearing the opinions of someone who has read the novel. You have to understand that a lot of people here have not read the novel/cannot read Chinese so they are forming the opinions based what the drama is portraying, which is lots of Yuewen Yue/Xing'er moments from the beginning. The drama is basically spoon feeding you that Yuewen Yue and Xing'er developed feeling for each other since the beginning. The drama seems to deviate from the novel a lot, based on what you said. Are you disappointed with how the drama is going so far?

I can't say that I'm disappointed with how the drama is going because I do understand why they portrait YWY as XE's first love. Moreover, I love Shawn's YX. I'm just not satisfied with how they portrait the relation between CQ and YX. They portrait it as CQ has never loved YX in her entire life, which is not true according to the novel. Another thing I'm not happy about is that YX was the only person who saved CQ when she first arrived this world (through time travel). Every time she was in danger as YW household' slave (Yes, she's a slave in the novel, not a housemaid), he is the person who saved her. In the drama, they gave these credit to YWY, and makes ppl believe he's the person that saved her a lot. However, YWY was not the person who saved CQ in the novel. On the other hand, he made her suffered a lot. YWY was the one who's dark and psychopathic (because of his upbringing) in the first place, but he changed himself for CQ. Now they are making him so pure and good, which makes me feel that the layers and complexity of the character are reduced.

Edited by canstand
  • Like 2

I just wanted to remind you guys that the drama is supposed to be the "clean" version of the novel seeing as how the novel was allegedly accused of plagiarism from other works. You can find more information about that on Wiki. I haven't read the novel so I can't give my two cents on it. The adapted Tv series won't follow the novel completely. But either way, I'm enjoying the drama. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canstand said:

After reading almost 42 pages of you guys discussing How YWY and CQ are the soulmates and how in love they are. I have to say something about YX and CQ, as I am a fan of YX.

[...]

Welcome to Soompi. :)

I think it's very normal in a forum like this to have a diversity of views and different interpretations of characters. In my visits here, I haven't had the sense that there is one single view of any of the characters or relationships. Of YX or YWY or XE. There is also usually some kind of understanding that no adaptation is completely true to its source even if comparisons are inevitable. 

For me it's a testament to the quality of the drama that it has been so popular even with Chinese speakers on the internet despite having diverged quite a bit from the source material. I imagine as @aikmm has pointed out that we're meant to see this as a separate work, not entirely beholden to the source material.

I doubt that the showrunners are that concerned about playing out the love triangle because they're an Asian drama staple anyway. Perhaps they have chosen to play out the love triangle differently.

I'm rather relieved that they've taken out YWY's psychopathic tendencies. Not that I mind ordinarily. But I've had this rather long journey with I Love My President but He's a Psycho recently so I'm happy for the change. :wink:

@cenching -- I'm at work all day today so I can't respond to your requests for translation quickly. But will get back to you as soon as I am able IF no one else has responded. :wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aikmm said:

I just wanted to remind you guys that the drama is supposed to be the "clean" version of the novel seeing as how the novel was allegedly accused of plagiarism from other works. You can find more information about that on Wiki. I haven't read the novel so I can't give my two cents on it. The adapted Tv series won't follow the novel completely. But either way, I'm enjoying the drama. :)

Great! You guys know that the writer plagiarized other novels. Then I think I can tell you guys about what really happened with this novel. I tried to avoid talking about this because I actually like this novel and drama, but plagiarism should never be allowed. Since you guys already knew, I think I can talk about this. I love the drama even though I know that she plagiarized other's works, guilty as charged.

I actually read the novels that she plagiarized. In fact, she did not completely copy all the sentence or words of those novels. Rather, she plagiarized the characters and plot line from the "Novoland: Egal Flag" and "Zichuan". If they really wanna a "clean" version, then all the three main lead, CQ, YX and YWY, should never exit. Chu Qiao is the female version of Ji Ye from the "Novoland", Yan Xun is Lv Gui Chen in the "Novoland", and YWY's character is from "Zichuan". All the battle scene are the combination of "Novoland" and "Zichuan". In the "Novoland", Lv Gui Chen's whole family was slaughtered and Ji Ye saved him, and they were building their empire together to rebel the emperor. Ji Ye and Lv Gui Chen also had gone their separate ways because of the same reason that YX and CQ had gone their separate ways in the novel.

The reason that the writer changed the main male lead to YWY (as ZGY in the novel) was because the writer of "Novoland" stopped writing/updating the "Novoland". The writer of CQZ could not control the direction where the story line goes. Therefore she plagiarized another novel to complete her works.  Hense, the drastic change of YX's character and sudden change of main male lead in the last 30 chapters.

Edited by canstand
  • Like 5

Well everyone has different ideas and I think very few people here have read the novel, but we are all watching the drama. We can only analyze the behavior of the characters in the drama. Some book fans say that the best part of the drama is the second half, so I don't know if it is fair to say that everything that happened was because they author did not know what to do with the characters. I am sure about half of the readers wanted her to end up with Yuwen Yue. It is always like that, fans are divided between who the lead should have ended up with. In the end, the writer decides. 

As for this adaptation, I like it. I was afraid from the synopsis that this would not be a drama for me, as much as I like powerful female leads I do not enjoy angsty dramas. However, the changes made to the drama can better adapt the story so a wider audience is able to enjoy it. It is tough subject the one of slavery, but I think this way it makes it more approachable and less depressing. All the changes actually make the storyline more interesting for me as a viewer so that is a job well done. I can understand disappointment as a book fan if the drama is different, but regulations were meant to cause drastic changes and then after knowing who she ends up with writers need to make the lead more appealing from the start. The popularity of Yuwen Yue and XingEr is mostly due to the actors have really good chemistry that makes us like them together. Even when couples are pushed by a drama, it doesn't always work. In this case, it works. 

I think we shouldn't get into debates into which is the real version of each character since this is the version we are getting in this adaptation. These are the characters for the drama and in my opinion, they are very well written.

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Well everyone has different ideas and I think very few people here have read the novel, but we are all watching the drama. We can only analyze the behavior of the characters in the drama. Some book fans say that the best part of the drama is the second half, so I don't know if it is fair to say that everything that happened was because they author did not know what to do with the characters. I am sure about half of the readers wanted her to end up with Yuwen Yue. It is always like that, fans are divided between who the lead should have ended up with. In the end, the writer decides. 

As for this adaptation, I like it. I was afraid from the synopsis that this would not be a drama for me, as much as I like powerful female leads I do not enjoy angsty dramas. However, the changes made to the drama can better adapt the story so a wider audience is able to enjoy it. It is tough subject the one of slavery, but I think this way it makes it more approachable and less depressing. All the changes actually make the storyline more interesting for me as a viewer so that is a job well done. I can understand disappointment as a book fan if the drama is different, but regulations were meant to cause drastic changes and then after knowing who she ends up with writers need to make the lead more appealing from the start. The popularity of Yuwen Yue and XingEr is mostly due to the actors have really good chemistry that makes us like them together. Even when couples are pushed by a drama, it doesn't always work. In this case, it works. 

I think we shouldn't get into debates into which is the real version of each character since this is the version we are getting in this adaptation. These are the characters for the drama and in my opinion, they are very well written.

I agree with @mrsyooknit that we shouldn't turn this into a debating and enjoy the drama for now. It's true that some people will like the novel more than the drama and some will like the drama more than novel. I'm not saying that I'm not a person like that. I sometimes do enjoy reading a novel more than the real live action movie. And again, it's true that some of us likes YWY and some of us like YX, but it's true the writer/producer/director decides who ends up with who. 

Take Korean drama Scarlet Heart Ryeo where in the beginning everyone liked Wang Wook and wanted the girl to end up with him, but in the end she falls in love with Wang So and then she moved to live with Wang Jung instead. Fans were all over about it and wanted the girl to end up with this guy over this guy and so on. But in the end, it's up to the writer/producer/director who decides the ending for us. 

As of right now, we should enjoy this drama and expect to see what'll happen and so far ZLY and LGX are doing a well-done job playing the characters. This is just my thought/opinion, too, because I don't really judge a drama until it's over. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Welcome to Soompi. :)

I think it's very normal in a forum like this to have a diversity of views and different interpretations of characters. In my visits here, I haven't had the sense that there is one single view of any of the characters or relationships. Of YX or YWY or XE. There is also usually some kind of understanding that no adaptation is completely true to its source even if comparisons are inevitable. 

For me it's a testament to the quality of the drama that it has been so popular even with Chinese speakers on the internet despite having diverged quite a bit from the source material. I imagine as @aikmm has pointed out that we're meant to see this as a separate work, not entirely beholden to the source material.

I doubt that the showrunners are that concerned about playing out the love triangle because they're an Asian drama staple anyway. Perhaps they have chosen to play out the love triangle differently.

I'm rather relieved that they've taken out YWY's psychopathic tendencies. Not that I mind ordinarily. But I've had this rather long journey with I Love My President but He's a Psycho recently so I'm happy for the change. :wink:

@cenching -- I'm at work all day today so I can't respond to your requests for translation quickly. But will get back to you as soon as I am able IF no one else has responded. :wink:

Hi Jumma, @40somethingahjumma

Thank you for your reply. I want to explain a little bit of why I said that they cannot have "love-triangle" in a female lead drama. It is not that the supporting male and leading male cannot love the female lead at the same time. That being said that in a female lead drama, the female lead can only love one person, which is the person she eventually married. The female lead cannot love any other person other than the main male lead. The phrase is called "Cong Yi er Zhong". I don' really know how to translate it properly in English. The best explanation I can think of is the female lead must be faithful and loyal to her husband, which is YWY in this drama. That means she can only love the person she married, and she cannot love any other person even if he is her ex. This is one of the weird policies that I cannot understand but exist.

I hope I explained why. 

• Like 2

Some new scenes  

This behind the scenes MV's are quite adorable,so sad i can't understand what they say...I even think they speak for some mili sec korean ...By the way does anyone know from what korean drama took the OST and aded at that cave scene?It's sounds sooo familiar but can't pinpoint it...

• Like 3

On 6/20/2017 at 1:26 AM, mrsyooknit said:

this week will just be heartbreak after heartbreak :bawling: But we know that their reunion will be steamy :tongue:

soon

I am looking forward to this scene, but at the same time, it's soo heartbreaking that I don't know if I'll be able to handle it. :bawling: She feels soo betrayed by him, but she can't kill him, too. 

On 6/20/2017 at 1:36 AM, pawla said:

@turtle0217someone already gave me another site where I can watch the sub. Thanks. 

Thanks great you did you. Can you pm the site to me, too? Thanks

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, aikmm said:

@Miky88 gyahhh these new scenes are killing me. :|||| thanks for sharing! does that mean yan xun is going to change drastically sometime soon, maybe even this upcoming episodes?

I think it will be on time,we have 68 episodes so more likely the story will spam over years,don't think the scenes were he is in full gear and with the Princess in Royal Robes(i'm curious if they are trying to marry them but he stands her)are just yet,the other are to approch based on the small hints here and there...The ones were his Mother dies before his eyes are soon to come and him being in mourning garments(hope i'm not wrong)with Chu Qiao already by his side...They did send assassins after him on that night were he defends himself and maybe Chu Qiao helps as well...Now i''m curious to see how this scene is played out because he quite as well think besides the Emperior others might have sent to eliminate him,hope he won't consider Yue as one of them even more when he is the Head of the Eyes of God Organization...

Still if they do indeed have a future scene of the Princess trying to marry Xun i'm dead curious to see how they come to this as it's without any reason spoken that he won't ever marry her after what happenes to him and his family...(i confess if so i can't wait as i find her really annoying)

All in all this is Chu Qiao journey and even Xun's as well to rebuild from pieces Yibei and everything he lost and in the end becoming the Ruler so it will take years...

I think Chu Xiao will be greatly dissapointed in Yue thinking he disposed of her brother knowing his Grandfather was still alive as a means to his plans,just as using her to kill of the old perverted man and after get rid of her as she is usable and can take the blame...I think she really believed he actually cares for her and not really in romantic sense but as a person(they live in a time human lives are not so precious as we've seen) so the blow must be ever harder after he put all that effort training her,being kind and so on...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canstand said:

Hi Jumma, @40somethingahjumma

Thank you for your reply. I want to explain a little bit of why I said that they cannot have "love-triangle" in a female lead drama. It is not that the supporting male and leading male cannot love the female lead at the same time. That being said that in a female lead drama, the female lead can only love one person, which is the person she eventually married. The female lead cannot love any other person other than the main male lead. The phrase is called "Cong Yi er Zhong". I don' really know how to translate it properly in English. The best explanation I can think of is the female lead must be faithful and loyal to her husband, which is YWY in this drama. That means she can only love the person she married, and she cannot love any other person even if he is her ex. This is one of the weird policies that I cannot understand but exist.

I hope I explained why. 

In Chinese traditional culture which is very conservative there is a strong believe in destiny. In the ancient setting dramas/films/books usually the female will ONLY really loves 1 person she will end up with bcoz that is her destiny. Even though she goes through a string of boys but she won't really love any of them bcoz its not her destiny or soulmate. 

Is that what you meant?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pawla said:

Preview from iqiyi

@turtle0217someone already gave me another site where I can watch the sub. Thanks. 

Can you give me the links too please?:wub:

7 minutes ago, Miky88 said:

I think it will be on time,we have 68 episodes so more likely the story will spam over years,don't think the scenes were he is in full gear and with the Princess in Royal Robes(i'm curious if they are trying to marry them but he stands her)are just yet,the other are to approch based on the small hints here and there...The ones were his Mother dies before his eyes are soon to come and him being in mourning garments(hope i'm not wrong)with Chu Qiao already by his side...They did send assassins after him on that night were he defends himself and maybe Chu Qiao helps as well...Now i''m curious to see how this scene is played out because he quite as well think besides the Emperior others might have sent to eliminate him,hope he won't consider Yue as one of them even more when he is the Head of the Eyes of God Organization...

Still if they do indeed have a future scene of the Princess trying to marry Xun i'm dead curious to see how they come to this as it's without any reason spoken that he won't ever marry her after what happenes to him and his family...(i confess if so i can't wait as i find her really annoying)

All in all this is Chu Qiao journey and even Xun's as well to rebuild from pieces Yibei and everything he lost and in the end becoming the Ruler so it will take years...

I think Chu Xiao will be greatly dissapointed in Yue thinking he disposed of her brother knowing his Grandfather was still alive as a means to his plans,just as using her to kill of the old perverted man and after get rid of her as she is usable and can take the blame...I think she really believed he actually cares for her and not really in romantic sense but as a person(they live in a time human lives are not so precious as we've seen) so the blow must be ever harder after he put all that effort training her,being kind and so on...

If im not mistaken,the total is 58 eps, not 68.

@cenchingtq so much for the info regarding LGX. Hehe.

Btw, usually i watch PA with english subs in fastdrama. They are super fast. But i dont know why  english sub for ep 17 & 18 still uploading. They are quite slow for today. Perhaps someone can suggest ke any website which is superfast other that fastdrama.co. i havent watch ep 17&18. I cant wait anymore.:cry: