Park So Dam 박소담

juliacaesar

ARTICLE

Starlet Hopes to Make a Splash

Actress Park So-dam, whose name may not be familiar to many moviegoers yet, looks to be one of the promising starlets.

After sharpening her acting skills in a dozen shorts and independent films, she recently made her first appearance in a commercial film, the mystery-thriller "The Silenced," which was released in mid-June. 

"Through an audition, I got a part in the film. Though it's a minor role, I was thrilled to get a chance to work on a set and really get my career going."

2015070400297_0.jpg

Asked how she first became interested in acting, she said it was a long-held dream of hers. "I watched the musical 'Grease' when I was 17. The actors on stage looked so happy dancing and singing. From that moment, I wanted to live like that," Park recalls. 

Eager to build on the momentum of "The Silenced," Park already has another film in the works, with two more coming to theaters this summer.

"I think being an actress gives me a chance to live a fuller life, by allowing me to portray various kinds of lives and to experience new things. I believe that acting reflects life, after all," she said. "That's why I hope people see me as an actor they can relate to."

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/07/04/2015070400331.html

• Like 5

ARTICLE

Rising actress spreads her wings

Few would have believed that actress Park So-dam’s baby face could be that of a demon.

In “The Priests,” a Korean horror film about exorcism, Park plays Yeong-sin, a teenage girl possessed by a demonic spirit.

The actress said humbly that she hopes her performance somehow helps the film, but most viewers would agree that she left a strong impression.

Today, Park is known as “the girl to watch” in the Korean film industry. Besides “The Priests,” she recently appeared in “Veteran” (2015) and “The Throne” (2015), two of the most talked-about films of the year.

After making her name known with “The Silenced” (2014), Park has been busy not just on the silver screen but also with a television gig. She is currently appearing in the cable television drama series “Because It’s First Time.”

The JoongAng Ilbo talked to the 24-year-old about her burgeoning career and more.

20072246.jpg

Q. There are so many positive reviews about your performance in “The Priests.” How do you feel?

A. I feel fortunate. The most memorable review I heard is how scary I looked. I guess it’s hard to evoke such a horror in people as a young actress. I also liked the review because it essentially helps the film.

You probably knew when you took on the role that if you did well, it would catapult you to stardom.

It’s true that I was ambitious. I also knew that it’s probably my last chance to play a teenage girl. But what was bigger than my ambition was my wish that my performance would somehow help the film.

Wasn’t there any pressure in playing a possessed girl?

There was because I didn’t want people to go, “What in the world is she doing?” I wanted to people to sympathize with Yeong-sin and feel her pain. I felt only when I did my part, the characters of two priests would also be convincing.

Your character is bedridden and there is a piece of cloth covering your eyes. It must have been difficult to deliver your emotions with your eyes covered.

That’s true. Whenever the director yelled “cut,” [co-actors] Kim Yun-seok and Gang Dong-won would check if I was alright. But it wasn’t that emotionally stressful. I never even had a nightmare - not for a night.

You also had to shave your head for the film.

Yes, because Yeong-sin had to be neither a female nor a male. I agreed with the director that to embody something that I’m not even sure what it is, I had to make myself an absolute blank slate.

I was also surprised to hear that the sounds Yeong-sin makes were not electronic sounds.

Yes, I think I used all the breathing and voice techniques I’ve ever learned for this film. My voice is naturally mid- to low-tone, and I have practiced a wide vocal range. An actor should deliver the lines accurately. Also depending on the voice, a character is formed.

You are often compared to actress Kim Go-eun. Have you ever thought, “What if I debuted first?”

Not really. We both studied acting at Korea National University of the Arts. She was a good friend and always motivated me. But I loved school so much. I’m actually the only one in my class who never took a break. I wanted to graduate and debut only when I was really ready. So I never really wonder what would’ve happened if I debuted first. I plan to act all my life anyway.

How can you be so sure that you’ll be doing this all your life?

Whenever I see veteran actors, I always imagine what I will be like when I’m their age. For me, it’s such an amazing thing to be a character whom I can portray with my face of the time. Acting for me is such a curious and enjoyable job. That’s why I feel I can continue doing it.

BY LEE EUN-SUN [hkim@joongang.co.kr]

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=3011786

• Like 7

ARTICLE

Park So-dam's looks? Not even plastic surgery can create it

photo660505.jpg

Park So-dam expressed satisfaction about her appearance.

Actress Park So-dam who starred in the movie "The Priests" as a evil possessed high school student, had an interview with News N and looked back on her past year with "Veteran", "The Throne" and "The Priests".

Park So-dam is a graduate of the Korea National University of Arts and she's unique looking with no double eyelids. She's always being compared with others her age but through "The Priests" she's made a strong impression with her name. She continued to star in hit movies and a year later, she's one of the most favorable rookies there is.

"Everyone makes it seem like I been making a lot of benefits with these major movies but I actually failed a lot of auditions. There's not one audition I didn't go for if it was a role I could play at my age last year. I was devastated every time I failed and I was depressed. Then I passed "Veteran". I didn't have any lines but I was happy that I could be in something".

The one who chose Park So-dam was producer Ryoo Seung-wan of "Veteran". She played a young and newly debuting actress in the movie and Ryoo asked So-dam to do it. He also said she had a face like a canvas. "I was so grateful when he said he wanted to create an appealing image of my face".

"At first I was a clear-faced girl who eventually became addicted to drugs and wore heavy make-up. It was a dramatic role but I didn't have any lines. The producer gave me chance to work with other actors and actresses and I was so grateful. Then I auditioned for "The Throne" and I was so nervous but as soon as I walked in the director said, "You are the eyes of Joseon!" Everyone laughed and so did I".

Producers Ryoo Seung-wan and Lee Joon-ik were holics of Park So-dam's image from the beginning and they were sure they needed her for their movies. The same goes for producer Lee Hae-yeong from "The Silenced". Park So-dam said, "I am grateful how they appreciated my small eyes and simple face".

""The Priests" was a little different. I acted freely in the first round then acted as Yeong-sin in the second round, but I had received a script for the first time during the audition. I wondered what I should do and I think I made sounds of a lion crying and a dog barking for 6~7 minutes in front of people I just met. The third round was saying lines in a foreign language. I barely passed and when Yeong-sin became mine, there was the problem of having to make something out of nothing. It was an endless time for me".

It might seem like she started acting from a young age but Park So-dam was an ordinary student in an ordinary humanity course high school. She was ordinary until she was 18 when she decided to become an actress after watching "Grease". "The actors and actresses singing and dancing on stage couldn't have looked happier. I wanted to stand on stage then and started attending acting lessons".

"I was lucky to have been accepted into the Korea University of National Arts but until then, all actresses had to have big eyes and had to be 'pretty'. So I only dreamt of musicals and theaters and never thought I'd be in front of a camera. I wasn't sure of myself".

"Then the Institution of Image saw my graduation pictured and rang me up. They told me they wanted a face which could perform various characters. I was able to star in independence movies from then and that was when I first saw what a 'movie' was. If I had started with something bigger, I wouldn't have able to survived it".

We asked her how happy she was with her appearance and she said, "When I started acting, I didn't think I was pretty but unique. No one can follow the way I look, not even plastic surgery. I might have lost some weight lately so some say my face looks slimmer. It could be the baby fat".

"I don't plan on getting plastic surgery. I don't want to face a wall because of my looks. I want to be an actress who is an issue for her performance and not her looks".

"The Priests" is a mysterious movie about two priests saving a girl in danger. The movie is currently on a roll and about to break through 5 million views.

http://www.hancinema.net/in-depth-park-so-dam-s-looks-not-even-plastic-surgery-can-create-it-89117.html

• Like 5

ARTICLE

Actresses representing the next generation

There are a couple of actresses in their 20s who will take over Chungmuro.

Actress Lee Yoo-young who debuted last year and became the first Korean actress to win the Best Actress at the Milano International Film Festival, is coming out with the movie "Fatal Intuition" this 28th. She plays Si-eun, a girl who foresees death. With the help of this girl, a man who lost his sister tracks down the criminal in this movie. Lee Yoo-young who left a strong impression in the movies"Late Spring" and "The Treacherous", is now back with a mysterious and intense movie called"Fatal Intuition".

Kim Go-eun-I who debuted in 2012 with "A Muse", is one of the most noted actress in her 20s today and she is coming out with the movie "The Advocate : A missing body". Kim Go-eun-I has always been a mysterious character but this time she's back as newbie investigator Jin Seon-min, a friendly and realistic character.

Park So-dam who has made an impression with her performance in "The Silenced", "Veteran"and "The Throne", is back with "The Priests". She shaved her head to become Yeong-sin, a girl who suffers from an unknown symptom and whose role is just as major as Kim Yoon-seok and Kang Dong-won.

Meanwhile, Lee Yoo-young, Kim Go-eun-I and Park So-dam are all from the Korea National University of Arts and their comeback this fall will present a special treat to the audience.

photo643951.jpg

http://www.hancinema.net/actresses-representing-the-next-generation-87555.html

• Like 2

ARTICLE

Rookie actresses to take over movies and dramas

New faces are always welcome. Actresses in the 20s haven't had a place to stand as they were outnumbered by actors but there have been a few who have constantly been appearing in movies and dramas.

- Chae Soo-bin and Lee Seong-kyeong

If we look far ahead, the hottest competition at the end-of-year awards will be those between rookie actresses. There are many waiting to be put on the list.

Chae Soo-bin doesn't have much acting experience but is the Cinderlla of the KBS 2TV drama "Blue Bird Nest". She proves how much the drama industry needs a new face. She played small roles before she made it to the front line but as soon as she came out, there have been many wanting her next. It's her simple but pure image.

MBC drama "The Queen's Flower" Lee Seong-kyeong and Gong Seung-yeon from the SBS drama "Heard It Through the Grapevine" are also a couple who made 'discovery of the year'.

Lee Seong-kyeong is a former fashion model and she took over main role in just her second drama. Producer Lee Dae-yeong said, "I looked at her potential" and he wasn't wrong. The drama is keeping a record of 15~16% every episode. Gong Seung-yeon is also active in entertainment shows, too.

Park So-dam and Kwon So-hyeon

The need for new faces is much bigger in the movie industry. Park So-dam and Kwon So-hyeon are from independent film actresses turned movie actresses.

"The Silenced" actress Park So-dam went through a tough competition. Her talent and unique character got her the role.

"I signed up for almost every audition since my early 20s" she says. She even shaved her head for the movie "The Priests".

Kwon So-hyeon stars in the movie "Madonna" which comes out on the 2nd of July. Producer Shin Su-won said, "She did more than expected" although it was a big role for her.

13912454_532679240258086_934043172915980934_n.jpg?oh=f43b8f4210e295907f94478dac68b9c6&oe=5817EEA5

http://www.hancinema.net/rookie-actresses-to-take-over-movies-and-dramas-83777.html

• Like 3

'The 7th KORFA Film Awards' at Korea Press Center

cmugflanopj7fekvtsf34xiswasr2wv5.jpg

[by Kim Young Shin, photo by Hwang Ji Eun] On January 27, the Korea Film Reporters Association (KOFRA) hosted ‘The 7th KOFRA Film Awards’ at Korea Press Center in Jung-gu, Seoul.

The Winners of ‘The 7th KOFRA Film Awards’:

▲ Best Film: ‘Sado’
▲ Best Director: Director Ryoo Seung Wan (‘Veteran’)
▲ Best Actor: Yoo Ah In (‘Sado’)
▲ Best Actress: Jeon Do Yeon (‘The Shameless’)
▲ Best Supporting Actor: Oh Dal Su (‘Assasination’)
▲ Best Supporting Actress: Jeon Hye Jin (‘Sado’)
▲ Best New Actor: Byun Yo Han (‘Socialphobia’)
Best New Actress: Park So Dam (‘The Priests’)
▲ Independent Movie Award: ‘Alice in Ernestland’
▲ Foreign Language Movie Award: ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’
▲ Discovery Award: Bae Sung Woo (‘Office’)
▲ Movie Man of the Year: Lee Yong Kwan, the Director of Busan International Film Festival
▲ Promotion Man of the Year: Choi Geun Ha, the Public Relations Manager at Showbox
▲ Movie Reporter of the Year: Lee Hae Ri, a Reporter at Sports Donga (photo by bntnews DB)

http://www.bntnews.co.uk/app/news.php?nid=28267

• Like 3

ARTICLE

Park So Dam Looks Mind Blowing For Dazed

Actress Park So Dam is pure and beautiful in the pictorial for Dazed Korea January issue.

She takes a deep emotional mood, whilst being captured by the photographer Kim Yeong-jun, and is absolutely beautiful with her alluring appearance. Hwang Sun-ha has done a great job making So Dam’s natural beauty enhanced, with tender make-up. With her short hair-do, she’s somewhat a tomboy yet her feminine appeal is not faded at all. Her clothing is carefully chosen to match her appearance and the mood well.

thumb-1.jpg?resize=614%2C800

So Dam who got into the Korean cinema world in 2013, came in to the spot light in 2015 for the movies, ‘The Silenced’ and ‘The Priests’. For ‘The Silenced’, she was nominated for the Best New Actress Award at the 24th Buil Film Awards, 52nd Grand Bell Awards, and 36th Blue Dragon Film Awards and won the award at 16th Busan Film Critics Awards. Also, she won the Best New Actress Award at 16th Women in Film Korea Awards for the movie, ‘The Priests’.

Recently, she is gaining lot of attention for her role in OnStyle’s drama series, ‘Because It’s The First Time’. In this drama, she takes on an intense courtship with SHINee’s Choi Minho, who is also her real life friend, and is in a love triangle with Kim Min-jae, the actor from ‘20s Again’.

http://officiallykmusic.com/park-dam-looks-mind-blowing-dazed/

• Like 4

Hi everyone ~ I'm migrating from BM to here to support Park So Dam, I like her acting and think she's a serious actress. I won't post much because I'm not good at writing. I'll be silently supporting her and you guys :)

Thank you @juliacaesar for opening this thread ~

• Like 6