Park So Dam 박소담

juliacaesar

(Spoiler Alert!) Scene from Because It's The First Time, ep 6

If you haven't checked out BITFT yet, and you're a fan of slice-of-life dramas, I truly recommend it. We watch as they face different struggles in life but gets through it with the help of each other. 

• Like 6

Park So Dam - January 2016 Allure

2015 was an eventful year, wasn’t it? What have you been up to these days?

Once I graduated, I worked for about 2 years without taking a break, so I’m currently resting a little. Starting from next week, I will start rehearsing for the play “Let Me In”.

There are barely 2 months left until the performance. Did you already enjoy the movie?

To be honest, I watched the movie after I saw the audition notice for the play. I thought it was a heartwarming story. It was heartbreaking to watch this mysterious and bright girl turning into a vampire.

I remembered you after I watched “The Silenced”. It reminded me of the girls high school ghost story. The fact that it was about a detailed and special line of emotions in a closed space that is a girls high school.

I also found the line of emotions interesting. I have played in 15 short movies and, except for one, I always portrayed a high school girl. I did think that I wanted to stop wearing this school uniform, but I ended up being interested by this story taking place at that age. The reason of such behavior, stuff like that can also be a bit cute sometimes.

I don’t know if characters like this can be portrayed well the older the actor gets.

I went to an all-girl high school. Some people ask me if “The Silenced” operates on a homosexual code, but jealousy isn’t a feeling that exists only between two lovers. Small stuff like “you’re taking sticker pictures with her, why don’t you take sticker pictures with me?” can be upsetting and fighting like is common between girls at this age.

You must have been in a special mood the first time you went to the set of a full-length film.

It was for “Veteran”. Although I had no line to say, I was very nervous. After I finished filming, the director gave me a cake and told me I did a good job and he hoped I would keep making constant efforts. On my way home, I felt like my hands and my heart were a bit heavier.

You were nominated at the Grand Bell Awards and at the Blue Dragon Awards, but you didn’t win. Weren’t you sad?

It would have been awesome to receive these awards! Still, as the awards ceremony was getting closer, here’s what Kim Yoon Suk-sunbaenim told me at the “Priests” presentation stage. “So Dam-ah, awards aren’t that important. What’s more important is how you will build your career.” I think he told me this because he wondered if not getting these awards would hurt me.

On the contrary, people around you were quite worried!

My parents also told me not to be sad if I didn’t get the awards. I didn’t feel like I’d be sad if I didn’t win. The outcome of the projects I’ve been doing for the past 2 years all came out this year and much more people recognize me. However, Yoon Suk-sunbaenim told me this. “Still, you never know what might happen, so just care about doing a good job!”.

What did you think when you watched “The Priests”? To be honest, I was surprised. I thought we’d see more of the bright and pretty Young Shin before she gets possessed.

Many people said they were scared. However, the filming set was so lively that I didn’t really realize it even when I was monitoring myself. I got special makeup, I was tied up to a bed and all these situations were filmed through various angles.

It must have been hard to figure out how to act because there are no movies like this in Korea.

Toward the end of the movie, there’s the line “Yeong Shin, you did it all” and I worked really hard to get it right. Speaking Chinese, Russian, the lion roar, the dog bark, I think I rehearsed for three months just to speak those foreign languages and to train my voice.

In the drama “Because It’s The First Time”, you also showed us a daily-life acting.

It was my first time playing a character that was realistic and joyful. Filming was really a lot of fun and since the story was about people in their 20’s, there were many things I couldn’t do. I want to play in a melo with a little bit more of maturity next time.

You’re talking about a “mature melo acting”… Can you give us a movie as an example?

I really like the movie “The Scent of Love”. Back when I was in school, I used this movie as a reference when I had to show sad acting. I watched it again not long ago, and I definitely enjoyed it. As I was watching Jang Jin Young-sunbaenim, I thought that being an actress was really a great job. She left this world, but the fact that she can become a memory as we watch this beautiful image of her that remains… It’s heartbreaking, though.

Would you like to play a role like the male lead portrayed by Park Hae Il?

Yes. A frank and sincere behavior. Even if it’s a role for men, I’d like to try it.

Do you enjoy dating this type of men too?

It’s nice. Being able to be honest with each other.

Have you ever confessed your feelings first?

If I like someone, I keep giving them signals. I’m told my feelings just show.

Young actors who graduated from Korea National University of Arts stand out. Have you always thought about being an actress?

I really started getting serious about acting in the winter of my second year of high school. I got rejected from five schools I had applied to through nonscheduled admissions. I cried every day, and the first school where I applied during the regular application time was my current school.

There are probably many stories you can share with your colleagues, your sunbaes, your hoobaes, your friends. What do you mostly talk about? Do you all have many worries?

I think I have no friend who doesn’t go through a hard time. It’s a path we choose, but it’s a hard one and that’s why we may take it out on our family. Sometimes, I receive phone calls from my friends crying and saying “I shouldn’t be like this to my mom, but I’m so upset”. And there’s something that we know. The fact that we’re friends but we’re also competing against each other. Because of that, they said they often feel they’re alone. And I hope we can compete with each other in good faith.

When you said you’d become an actress, weren’t your parents against it?

A lot. They said they thought acting was far from our genes.

They must be very happy right now.

I nearly cried when my father gave me the thumbs up at the VIP premiere. Now they say that they’re happy because I’m doing a job I enjoy.

Do you feel how people around you react differently?

What comes to my mind was when I walked on the red carpet for the first time at the BIFF. I felt that it was a long walk, but hearing people shout my name made the stress go away. I read comments a lot. I still don’t know how people perceive me.

You mean you personally check the comments?

To be honest, it’s more about what my entourage tells me. If there are good comments, they let me know. Ah, there’s something my friends often tell me.

What is it?

Wasn’t it a good thing that you didn’t do the double eyelid surgery? Haha. It’s fortunate that the “monolid eyes” era came faster than I thought.

Allure

Translation: @thesunnytown –thesunnytown.wordpress.com

https://thesunnytown.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/january-2016-allure-park-so-dam-interview/

• Like 6

Article about Because It's The First Time, PSD explaining what she would do in her character's situation.

2015-10-06 17:39

Park So-dam entangled in love triangle in romance drama 'My First Time'
음성듣기

18-03(76).jpg
The cast of the romance drama “My First Time” poses during a press conference at Amoris Hall in Time Square, Seoul, Monday. From left are Eugene Jeong, Kim Min-jae, Park So-dam, Choi Min-ho, Cho Hae-jung and Lee Yi-kyung. / Courtesy of CJ E&M

By Kim Jae-heun 

"

Park said she would choose to keep the friendship over love if she was in her character’s situation.

“I would not go for love if I was in Song-yi’s shoes. I would lose two friends at the same time if I did. It would only make the relationship awkward and I think it is right to just keep my feelings to myself,” Park said.

"

Read the full article here.

• Like 6

Hi @juliacaesar   Thanks for starting this forum! Couldn't find it though when I googled: Park So Dam soompi forum.  Had to use the links from the BM and C4K forums. Wasn't listed in directory of soompi forum actress pages either. Is this because it's so new? Takes a while to show up? It's great that she'll have a bunch of supportive fans on soompi, thanks to you.

I also was surprised to read that PSD is going to play a stripper in Closer. Ordered the book so I can read it.  Don't know the drama but the plot synopsis is really disturbing. Looks like it's not a play for happy hearts.  Which makes me realize PSD not only plays brave characters, she seems brave as an actor, too, taking on a tough role in a difficult play. Might not exactly be a crowd pleaser. 

• Like 5

@ihyw hmmm that's very odd... Maybe you're right about that it does take time for it to show up... I tried googling it myself just now and noticed the same thing. Google does show the most popular hits first, perhaps the thread needs a bit more exposure as well :)

Has it been made into a book as well? I didn't know this. But yes, I do adore that she is very versatile in her acting. We see lots of actresses take on several similar roles, but we've seen many different sides of acting from PSD, more in movies than her dramas. 

Also, glad to have you here!

• Like 4

I'm glad that some of BM Lovers visit this thread and share the info about PSD. Thank you my chingus...

If you have any other info about her that doesn't not exist here,  you can share it. 

@juliacaesar : I saw in PSD instagram there was a picture where little PSD with her mom and dad. I want to capture but I don't know how to use it with my phone ...LOL. So if you or other chingus can take that picture and put here... It's good... Of course, we will give its source : PSD instagram ...  Thank you

• Like 4

I've watched CA4K. I love PSD role as a strong girl, confident and hardworking. Once I saw for two episodes, I love if she ended up with the fourth Knight, Lee Yoon-sung, a secretary of Chairman Kang. He is mature, charismatic and sympathetic guy. 

Haaa ..... I think my taste about men is a bit weird. I love a calm man and mature..LOL... Of course, with note that the man isn't antagonist. Therefore I really love BM, in which Jin-sung loves mature man...:blush::glasses: ...

How about you girls?

• Like 5

The more fans here, the better!

I know a lot of people met So Dam through BM but I'm still curious as to when you guys became fans of her.

Personally, BM was the first time I actually saw her act. But it's weird. I knew who she was since late last year and I read up on her a bit. For whatever reason I started having a soft spot for her since then. Then I saw she was going to act alongside Jung Il woo and got excited for C4K. Of course, her Jinsung sealed the deal for me. I keep going back and rewatching her scenes there. XD

Btw, does anyone know how many of her movies are subbed? Or where one can watch them?

• Like 7

@juliacaesar Thank you and totally glad to be here :):)

@bjvipb2uty I actually first noticed her through Because It Is the First Time, which had an ensamble cast. Before I started the series the only one I really knew was Minho fron SHINEE. Even though everyone acted quite well in the drama, I found her looks and acting quite refreshing from the usual K-drama heroine! To be honest I started watching BM more because of her than JH :D . She had a supporting role in The Royal Tailor (Park Shin Hye, Go Soo and Yoo Yeon-Soek), but in all honestly I do not remember her in it.

For some reason I get a Yoon Eun Hye feel from her. Maybe the short hair and spunkiness reminds me of Go Eun-Chan from The First Shop of Coffee Prince :w00t:

• Like 6

@bjvipb2uty For me, I saw PSD for the first time in Becau'se It's The First Time (fitting title :D), and I also came to watch BM because of her, just like Lexicon! Her spunkiness was very convincing and tbh I kind of adored her looks haha. She totally rocked that pixie cut. After also seeing her in The Silenced, I really saw how skillful she was as an actress, and The Priests further confirmed that. 

I do know that there are English subs for The Priests, The Silenced, The Youth, The Vampire Lives Next Door (a lot of "The -..-" titles, eh?), Sado (doesn't have many scenes), The Veteran (not here either) and The Royal Tailor. The titles written in bold are the ones she has a major role in. Unfortunately, I really would like to watch Snow Paths with English subtitles, but I cannot find it for the life of me :( 

• Like 6

@hrkharis I ship Ha Won with Ji Won!! But Yoon Sung is pretty darn awesome imo. I feel like he'll end up being one of my favorite characters.

@lexicon First of all, thanks for PM-ing me the website links. :) I'm with you on BM. I watched it for her not Jang Hyuk lol although I loved him there too. 

BITFT was cute. I liked the friendship plot a lot. @juliacaesar I know some people didn't like her pixie cut but I thought she looked soooo cute. I especially like when she put her little bandanna headband on. 

I saw a comment on kuljjaem saying how well she pulls of the short hairdo's. Same. I wish I could rock her BM/C4K hair but HA not even gonna try, much less the pixie cut. XD

I've been super busy lately so I haven't had a chance to watch her movies. The Priests is probably the only one I'll skip. Sucks because apparently that's been her best role but I'm a scaredy cat. Sorry So Dam. :bawling: 

Snow Paths seems like the movie I'd enjoy the most but I guess the lack of subs is due to its rather recent release. Hopefully subs will come out in a few months.

• Like 6