[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传

BellyButton

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BellyButton said:

What is the stuff in Ruyi's bracelet? 

The doctor said it is some sort of bean that makes you infertile.  The empress gave Ruyi and the Noble Consort both bangles with the bean in them so they would not be able to get pregnant.  She acts so sweet but is evil inside.  

I don't think I would go as far as to render them infertile but it sure would be hard to share my husband with them.  I definitely would not like being in a harem.  :)

On 9/6/2018 at 10:09 PM, cassiemissy said:

@dejun At the beginning I thought she is going to be a good Empress too, like what's written in history. But apparently it's all for show only. She turns really ugly after Ruyi got send to the Cold Palace probably because she knows Qianlong never gave up on Ruyi, and one day, Ruyi is going to return back to his side. Knowing that Ruyi is a strong woman, I kind of think it's good that the Empress did so many scheming, as this will return Ruyi back to Qianlong side faster :P  Yes, Qianlong is a smart emperor. He's patient and never rush into decision. Teaching from his grandfather (KangXi) and father (YongZheng) probably etched in his mind strongly. He has 2 great 'teachers' and he knows what he need to do as an Emperor. Head of the whole country, and head of his harem. Looking at how the story goes, I might hate him later on for what he will do to his ladies despite knowing what's happening behind.. :tears:

Managing the harem and country seems interconnected. All his ladies family holds certain high/strong position within his government. If he protects one wife and neglect the other, it might affect the loyalty of his minister. Such a difficult position to be in.. and I wonder why many wants to fight for the Emperor's throne.. :rolleyes: 

I like her gradual changes too. But I thought the event that make her change seems too.. trivial. She had bigger challenges before like being forced to stripped in front of many but she never change. But after being stepped on her hand and humiliated by words she decided it's time to change? Or was it modified due to censor board? I read that there's a part where she's being forced to step on hot coals? 

@cassiemissy, I think it was her discussion with Ruyi that made her decide she had to do something since Ruyi was no longer there to protect her.  She also wanted to save Ruyi and that gave her the strength to do what she had to do.  

7 hours ago, BellyButton said:

What did Dr say about the medication given to Hailan in ep28? Who did it? 

Why did they saw Hailan's stretch marks? Lol.

Jiang Physician said the womb medication was tampered with despite his meticulous measure taken and will affect Hai Lan's health but not the babe.  She will have difficulty giving birth.  It was also the cause for the stretch marks her tummy developed.  Qian Long favoured Hai Lan when Ruyi was in cold palace so someone wanted to ensure Qian Long would no longer visit her because of the hideous stretch marks she had - another very cunning plot conjured by Jia.

4 hours ago, cassiemissy said:

I wasn’t following most of the other drama statistic. So 3 billions views are a great thing? It’s only half way and already 3 billions. The number is slightly scary.. haha

No other drama in 2018 reached this level in just 17 days.  Let's see if Ruyi's can exceed 20 billion views made by The Journey of Flower, the first Chinese drama that did so. :D

5 hours ago, Pam_Van Fossen said:

@cassiemissy, I think it was her discussion with Ruyi that made her decide she had to do something since Ruyi was no longer there to protect her.  She also wanted to save Ruyi and that gave her the strength to do what she had to do.  

This show that when one does not have someone to depend on, one only can grow stronger to protect ownself and beloved. I love the Hailan that grew stronger and can speak for herself. ^_^

4 hours ago, dejun said:

Jiang Physician said the womb medication was tampered with despite his meticulous measure taken and will affect Hai Lan's health but not the babe.  She will have difficulty giving birth.  It was also the cause for the stretch marks her tummy developed.  Qian Long favoured Hai Lan when Ruyi was in cold palace so someone wanted to ensure Qian Long would no longer visit her because of the hideous stretch marks she had - another very cunning plot conjured by Jia.

No other drama in 2018 reached this level in just 17 days.  Let's see if Ruyi's can exceed 20 billion views made by The Journey of Flower, the first Chinese drama that did so. :D

Journey of flower is crazy... I hope Ruyi can be that crazy too. But seems like this is a serious drama the fad might not be that great compare to ‘idol’/fantasy type? Furthermore, Yanxi still steals the limelight a lot. I have friends who talks about Yanxi all the time but no interest in picking up Ruyi. :tears: 

11 minutes ago, cassiemissy said:

This show that when one does not have someone to depend on, one only can grow stronger to protect ownself and beloved. I love the Hailan that grew stronger and can speak for herself. ^_^

Journey of flower is crazy... I hope Ruyi can be that crazy too. But seems like this is a serious drama the fad might not be that great compare to ‘idol’/fantasy type? Furthermore, Yanxi still steals the limelight a lot. I have friends who talks about Yanxi all the time but no interest in picking up Ruyi. :tears: 

Yanxi speaks more to millenials/Gen Z (esp females) because the female lead is so strong, independent and everything about her reflects modern values. While I greatly enjoyed Yanxi, Yanxi is really not something I would bother rewatching because it's so straightforward. If Ruyi is anything like Zhenhuan, it's something I can rewatch like 5 times and still discover easter eggs/new ironies.  

10 hours ago, outsanity said:

Yanxi speaks more to millenials/Gen Z (esp females) because the female lead is so strong, independent and everything about her reflects modern values. While I greatly enjoyed Yanxi, Yanxi is really not something I would bother rewatching because it's so straightforward. If Ruyi is anything like Zhenhuan, it's something I can rewatch like 5 times and still discover easter eggs/new ironies.  

You are right. Yanxi is not bad but the storyline is still the almost the typical kind. Like you say it is straight forward and downright satisfying each time the female lead won a fight. I guess to audience this is something they can watch without thinking/reflecting much. However with Ruyi, it is something deeper. It requires some reflection every time you watch it, and like you say, will discover the new ironies that we can slowly relate to. ^_^ 

12 hours ago, outsanity said:

You're exactly right about why Yanxi attracted young viewers for that was what I thought too.  The protagonist was too modern to fit into that era.  To me, its too unrealistic plus too typical and straightforward for me that I literally falling asleep while watching. :P I'm more into deeper and double meanings type of show like Ruyi's.

2 hours ago, cassiemissy said:

You are right. Yanxi is not bad but the storyline is still the almost the typical kind. Like you say it is straight forward and downright satisfying each time the female lead won a fight. I guess to audience this is something they can watch without thinking/reflecting much. However with Ruyi, it is something deeper. It requires some reflection every time you watch it, and like you say, will discover the new ironies that we can slowly relate to. ^_^ 

Excellent performance by cast of Ruyi's is a plus over Yanxi.  I really like the way veteran actors and actresses in Ruyi's acted by their expressions alone.  If you can catch the meaning they conveyed you will understand the story better that at times requires reflection or rewatch.

12 hours ago, cassiemissy said:

Sometimes, it's the way producers handled their shows and the results are what we see now.

:rolleyes:

Empress damaged her son's health that ultimately caused his demise and now she is damaging her health to conceive. :crazy:  She's just can't take things slowly.  Did anyone notice that Empress Dowager seems to shake up the harem by adding more concubines and providing advice to certain concubines in a way against Empress? :huh:

I really love the actress who played Ruyi such a great actress...I remember her in Painted Skin...The drama is slow pacing but it unfolds every plot key points just perfectly...I wish that they will sub Yaanxi Palace and Rise of the Phoenix other than NiF 2 these are my favorite cdramas for this year...

2 hours ago, dejun said:

Empress damaged her son's health that ultimately caused his demise and now she is damaging her health to conceive. :crazy:  She's just can't take things slowly.  Did anyone notice that Empress Dowager seems to shake up the harem by adding more concubines and providing advice to certain concubines in a way against Empress? :huh:

Yeah.. She is scheming. Does not want anyone to be efficient. Divide and rule. She planted many pretty dancers to attract Qianlong right? 

I want to add, props to Ruyi's actress, Zhou Xun! At first I didn't think much of it besides the usual remarks about how she looks too old for her role (young Ruyi). However as of episode 28:

Spoiler

I love her acting because it displays so much emotion. The scene when she received the Emperor's declaration to banish her to the cold palace, you could see her facial expression was full of shock, confusion and hurt but all she could do was accept. When leaving for the cold palace, she put on a cheerful demeanor for her friends.

When she came back from cold palace and interacting with the Emperor, it's really evident that she had been hurt. She's very distant from the Emperor and even though she's not visibly angry at him, you can tell subtly on her face something is off between their relationship. I compared this to her earlier episodes in which she was smiling confidently and lovingly around the Emperor.

@Sobayaki, one of ZX's strength IMHO is subtlety. Considering the competitiveness of the harem, one should try to stay calm and not to show too many expression so that your competition won't find you easy to read. Empress, lady jia and Ruyi practice this well, only showing a little more with close confidants. Lady guo and Bai on the other hand were more expressive. That's why they are easy to read.

Coming back to ZX, I don't know if you'll understand me but in scenes where she gets hurt (emotionally), she portrays it in a way where the hurt is expressesd "behind the eyes" meaning she doesn't look too hurt, but at the same time you see her hurting. Most actresses will convey that emotion clearly in their eyes, but ZX showed littled. For instance, the scene where she was sitting and holding the teacup right after shewas accused of causing lady yi's miscarriage. You don't see her hurt. The main emotion she conveyed was a mix of shock, flabbergasted and confusion, but there is a secondary emotion of hurt there too.

Find it a bit hard to enjoy watching as at back of mind I know ending 

Spoiler

That ruyi comes to such a sad end... especially hard when hearing all the Emperor's reassurances to her and how he keeps saying how nothing can break the trust and love between them :(

Zhen Huan is of ascent to power as she is ruled by her head. Ruyi is of descent as she is ruled by her heart... Sigh...

2 hours ago, gaia2 said:

Hide contents

That ruyi comes to such a sad end... especially hard when hearing all the Emperor's reassurances to her and how he keeps saying how nothing can break the trust and love between them :(

Zhen Huan is of ascent to power as she is ruled by her head. Ruyi is of descent as she is ruled by her heart... Sigh...

Spoiler

its true that Zhen huan ruled by her head but another thing is that emperor Y didnt reign for that long,in fact i have noticed that the longer an emperor or a king reign the more miserable their wives and children become.

@Pam_Van Fossen  Yes, must be hell sharing one's husband with so many other women especially if one loved the man. It would not happen in modern times.  Women were considered subservient to men hence women at those times had to live with such attitudes. 

@dzareth Zhou Xun  is masterful at displaying her inner emotions through subtle use of expressions. Who would not become disappointed when one is put into isolation. Hailan was a source of genuine care and Ruyi escaped because she plotted a way out. Who knows. Had she stayed in n cold palace, she will sonn be forgotten like the rest of the abandoned concubines. Sooner or later, the Emperor, surrounded by a bevy of ambitious beauties, will soon forget about her. Out sight out of mind.

9 hours ago, gaia2 said:

Reveal hidden contents

So true. She loves she despairs. If there is no love there will be no disappointment and the process will be purely a mean to an end. Much like Hailan, means to survival. But she has a good heart so she would not hurt unnecessarily.

8 hours ago, Josephine Safowaa said:
  Reveal hidden contents

its true that Zhen huan ruled by her head but another thing is that emperor Y didnt reign for that long,in fact i have noticed that the longer an emperor or a king reign the more miserable their wives and children become.

Good observation! Ruyi should have done what Zhen Huan did!! :D

On 9/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, dejun said:

Empress Dowager is trying to plant her own seeds beside Qianlong. She wants a concubine that’s favoured by Emperor who listen to her command. In a way, even if she became the Empress Dowager she feels the need to protect herself by planting a spy beside the Emperor... can’t retire as long as you are alive and inside the palace. :wacko:

On 9/9/2018 at 4:06 PM, Sobayaki said:

I want to add, props to Ruyi's actress, Zhou Xun! At first I didn't think much of it besides the usual remarks about how she looks too old for her role (young Ruyi). However as of episode 28:

Hide contents

I love her acting because it displays so much emotion. The scene when she received the Emperor's declaration to banish her to the cold palace, you could see her facial expression was full of shock, confusion and hurt but all she could do was accept. When leaving for the cold palace, she put on a cheerful demeanor for her friends.

When she came back from cold palace and interacting with the Emperor, it's really evident that she had been hurt. She's very distant from the Emperor and even though she's not visibly angry at him, you can tell subtly on her face something is off between their relationship. I compared this to her earlier episodes in which she was smiling confidently and lovingly around the Emperor.

Yes! One can really feel the feeling of betrayed from that scenes. Her distant interaction with Emperor really makes a lot of sense. If she began to lovey dovey with him once she’s out from the cold palace, that will really looks weird. She’s hurt and she thinks it is unfair of the Emperor to treat her that way though she knows he do love her. 

Spoiler

When Ruyi finally knows the truth, that Emperor never gave up on her since the first day she stepped in to the cold palace (by having guards to ensure her safety), her touched emotion is really good, through her watery eyes and subtle expression, one can really feel her touched and loved feeling. I really like the scene where she went to the Emperor and look at him again with that loved eyes and smile back at him sincerely..and him to her..  so much love. It is still heart breaking knowing that in the end, he will still push Ruyi to her death.. I try not to think about that first now and enjoy their love relationship first. :sweatingbullets:

7 hours ago, margeritta said:

The shooting of this drama will begin in Hengdian around mid August.  It is reported that the shooting will last around 8 monhs.   It was rumoured that one episode was sold for 1.95 million remnibi.  

Shooting takes 265 days in total :sweatingbullets: super duper long. 

Archived