[Drama 2016] Moonlight Drawn by Clouds / Love in the Moonlight ☪ 구르미 그린 달빛

Maetawinz

7 hours ago, bonuibonui said:

Got nothing to do and while watching random clips in youtube (ehem MDBC cut scenes, bts scenes, and everything MDBC) I came across sandeul's immortal song performance and was surprised to see him and Yoojung on one stage performing a cute christmas themed song. 

And men it come down to me how talented Yoojung is, she can't just only act, she can sing and dance too. Gahhhhn and she's gorgeously becoming a lady (again, happy bday), I'm just so awed with this young gifted girl, she must have been all awake when God had a great time showering all good talents while I was sleeping and even snoring(hihu) in the comfort of my bed.

Come to think of it, RN once said she could easily remember a dance and a song right? Well we have seen her dance and gosh it was just pure perfection, I wonder if the writer will make use of Yoojung's good voice too in singing because I can imagine the crazy squee of everyone here in MDBC if RN sings for our CP oh not to forget a duet because we're all aware that Park Bo Gum can sing too. 

I'm aware of the news that PBG might get to sing his first OST in his drama and I hope it will be confirmed soon while for Yoojung, there isn't any news yet so if she can't sing for an ost I'll be happy even a snippet from the drama itself. 

RAISE THOSE HANDS WHO WANTS TO SEE A DUET FROM CP AND RN. (ME RAISING BOTH HANDS AND FEET, I EVEN ASKED MY DAD TO RAISE HIS TOO.) 

:rolleyes:

Count me in......I'm raising all of my limbs...lol...they both sing well, it would be nice to hear them. 

8 hours ago, Jillia said:

WARNING: LONG POST

Why Moonlight Drawn By Clouds Is So Perfect

Reveal hidden contents

I wondered if I should write a post on this when I already did a tiny post and @Bambiina did a wonderful post on it. But I need to get this out of my system so I can go back to write about my favourite drama right now. So here I go:

Over 10 years of watching Korean drama taught me that of course with many different types of genres come different types of viewers who see certain dramas in a different way. Dramas I adore and even love are sometimes equally loved by others OR hated. Or the other way around: I hate or at least dislike drama which are very popular.

Many dramas in the past maybe 2 or 3 years couldn't catch my interest. Dramas like Nice Guy, Flower Boy Next Door or Cruel City were the last dramas which made me actually participate in the drama threads. After that occasionally a drama or two popped up which I watched and enjoyed but didn't necessarily love.

Until Moonlight Drawn By Clouds...

So maybe that why I feel the need to defend MDBC – even though there is no reason to defend it because the love from the Korean viewers is legitimization enough and the love from us the foreign viewers is the cherry on top of the cake.

Of course I was very critically... I didn't know Park Bo Gum but of course knew about his fans and the love he gets. I only knew Kim Yoo Jung (and of course the veteran actors) and I was happy to see her back in a genre that is pretty much HER genre: a sageuk.

Due to real life I couldn't follow the whole process until the drama released the teaser with Park Bo Gum and his Bombastic dance. And I admit I was already falling for this charming man. Who knew a fan would be born with this drama, right?

I won't mention any other drama right now because I don't have the time to compare MDBC to other dramas because our drama is SO GOOD and there is enough to talk about I barely have time to even think about any other drama right now. :)

The Plot and Pacing:

I think we have to keep in mind that we're watching a fusion sageuk – a sageuk with non-historical elements in it (Ra On for example is a character that doesn't exist in Korean history) – and in addition to that as PD-nim pointed out it's a rom-com.

I knew there was no need to expect an expectational political plot but I wasn't sad about that because sometimes fluff is all I need to be happy.

So I was very surprised that we actually get a decent sub(?) plot surrounding the power structures in the palace and the riots outside the palace.

It's not by any means done how a „real“ sageuk would do it but again we only have 18 episodes and not 30+ episodes like a normal sageuk.

And this drama is mainly a love story and I'm okay with that. And again the good storyline aside from the love story is engaging and done in a way I'm not annoyed when for once I'm not seeing the OTP on screen.

This drama doesn't have scenes which are wasted. There are no scenes which make me want to skip them. Not even the scenes with the evil queen in it because those scenes carry important and interesting informations in it as well. And the „comic relief“ scenes with the Princess or Master Jung don't feel forced.

No scene is wasted by the writer. No characters are wasted. No problem remains unresolved until 2 episodes before the drama ends just to rush the conclusion. Like other dramas do.

The writer doesn't treat the viewer like dumb people. The writer trusts us to understand certain scenes, certain gestures, certain interactions, certain dialogues or stories told by other characters.

Overall the writer took the webnovel and apparently changed some aspects of it. It's called adaptation. Things which work in the webnovel won't necessarily work in the drama. So PD-nim and writer-nim decided to make changes and judging from the reactions of the people who read the novel those changes are good.

They also took a trope which is over-done in Korean drama and did a fresh take on it. And that's what I love about it. To me this drama doesn't feel like a girl disguised as a boy drama. It feels like a story about love and that when it comes to love it doesn't matter who are, which gender or social status: love is love.

How anyone can think this is a boring story to tell is beyond me to be honest. Since when is it boring to watch a drama with a beautiful message in it?

How can it be boring to watch characters getting exposition when it's needed? And not for the sake to make things more interesting for the viewer and by the way that's what they're doing in MDBC. They give us information when it's needed. Like I said I love how we only got to know now about Byung Yeon's past because it made sense within the episode. Same goes for Yoon Sung in the episode prior to episode 10.

I may agree on the pacing. I get that for some the pacing must feel slow but to me in the end every episode left me satisfied because 1) problems were resolved right away and 2) things for the sub(?) plot fell into place nicely.

That's something other dramas are rarely able to do. In other dramas we would get Ra On throwing a tantrum in episode 10 after finding out about Lee Yeong upcoming marriage but GOOD thing we're watching MDBC in which both Ra On and Lee Yeong keep talking to eachother and act very mature.

So I don't know but to me a drama which is so smart and treating its viewers well is far from being boring and overhyped.

The Cast:

Superb! I can't say nothing more. No words needed for the two actors who carry the majority of the show: Kim Yoo Jung and Park Bo Gum.

I was a bit wary when it comes to Jinyoung – don't slap me, fans! - , simply because I'm always worried when a drama casts idols. But he surprised me in a very pleasant way. First of all his acting is wonderful and for his first sageuk I think he is doing an awesome job. Of course I can't judge his intonation when it comes to speaking in yangban/Joseon speech but to me he is doing a fine and believable job.

Kwak Dong Yun is a discovery for me and I hope we'll be able to see many more dramas with him. Hopefully also as the leading man. I can't get over the fact he is 19 years old but in his Gat Byung Yeon attire he is so mature.

Chae Soo Bin didn't have enough scenes to impress me yet but she is doing a fine job and I'm looking forward to see more scenes with her in the 2nd half of the drama.

The Production:

This drama is PRETTY! For a drama which isn't pre-produced it shows how much quality can be put into it.

The cinematography..... UGH! I can't even! I was already fangirling very hard when I realized that same cinematographer is involved as in Nice Guy. I knew this drama looks pretty for a reason. But SIR why are you still not listed!?!

Every scene is filmed from different angles. We have wide angles, close angles, face close-ups (effectively used!) and so on. It takes much effort to film a drama like this.

The editing is good – I like that sometimes we get scenes with more informations in it. Like the confession scene between Ra On and Lee Yeong when he gives her the bracelet.

The costumes are to die for and it still makes me giggle that Lee Yeong probably has like 15 costumes in his wardrobe while Ra On maybe has 6. It's hilarious and a fresh take as well! A drama where the guy has more costumes than the girl.

The music is on point - from the BGM to the songs and how the music department is using it. Sometimes we have scenes without any music and other scenes start off without music but then when the moment is right either a BGM or songs starts playing. And not always from the start... sometimes a song starts playing with a line so it fits the actual scene. It's very lovely and high-quality!

Overall the production feels as assured as the writing and I'm sure even with the tight schedule the quality will remain as good as in the beginning. I trust writer-nim and PD-nim as much as they trust us!

This drama isn't playing games! This drama is good for a reason! This drama deserves the high ratings it gets! Period!

Thank you soo much for all the insightful posts, they're all on point. It's always nice to read and agree with them...:)

• Like 17

@fanofr @chocolatewaffle  You guys are not alone. I love Jo Ha-yeon, too (up to this point in the story). I always think it is interesting that in some sageuks (at least the ones I'm aware of) legal wives or first wives are positioned as usurpers in love matters, whereas mistresses or childhood crushes are seen as steadfast and loving people.  Perhaps because some powerful women were known as notoriously cold hearted and sly. 

• Like 8

@USAfarmgirl, very beautiful thougt, i wish i can write  something beautiful for this two cutie birds ..  why i like this drama first time i just get bored with all the drama been air lately,  watching with anthusiasm at first, 3,4,5 eps, I can stand it but after eps 6 .  I get exhausted and dropped ... never comeback to check where exzacly the story goes... this differen with MDBC case from eps 1 up til now, my enthusiam still high. This drama is just sweet and beautiful, KYJ confident acting stuck me to RA ON character, she really know how to use her beautiful eyes to drawn us to felt what is feeling pain, longing ,teasing and sadness...  but what i like for her acting is her body gesture.  This kind gesture  is previelge not every actor can learn about this essential act, that's all about the natur to blend the character on the soul. She has very long future to be more then her know trough her natural acting she become powerful actor soon.  About Park bo gum , i just like him what he is , i love him as Taek and more love him  in MDBC, this two cutie pie such treasure finding cheimestry in MDBC i wish see them being paired again...want to shipp them but l realize they were to young to burden with dating issue ... They have so many thing to do and to growth...but the one l very sure both will be influentil actor in Korean entertiment industry...this is just my ranting because i get bored to wait Monday came,  passing the time rewatching eps 9 and 10 for xxx times.  this so helpless i stuck with this two love birds...help me please...gimme previeuw....to cure my MDBC virus...:sweatingbullets:

• Like 19

We have been intriqued by how hands are used so expressively to convey messages in MDBC but did you notice that fingers are also put to good use? Who would have thought a simple act like feeding medicine or shushing someone can be done in such a sensual manner.

Love the look on enunch jang's face when the CP shushed him, he clearly enjoyed the touch with his eyes closed haha. Really like the PD who can create great visuals using simple things. Or could it be it was made more enjoyable because that is PBG's finger? 

:D

cr : baidu.com

IMG_0064_zpsbi1wt7go.jpg

• Like 22

8 hours ago, mizkorea said:

Spoiler contains info on the ending of the novel.

Hide contents

I don't like the novel ending. For 10 episodes they keep showing the Crown Prince can be a great king and suddenly in the end he has to forgo his throne plus one of their children so that he could be with his Ra On. :tears: I guess you really can't have it all.

He does not have a child with HY. He has twins with RO and he has to give up a boy child to be raised in the palace to be the future king with HY. Marriage with HY is just in name only... his body and all belongs to RO hahahaha :heart:

• Like 16

Guest ireumimolla

EP 11 Preview to be released via the various MDBC social media accounts on 24th Sep! CAN'T WAIT!!! :D 

I'm so happy this thread never sleeps. I like the long time it takes to catch up with all the pages hahaha

Yay, preview is coming out, thanks for the info!!! Wohooo, won't have to go into withdrawals..lol..(I already have actually since Tuesday's episode ended...lol...but I'm coming out)...at least work will keep me busy this 3 days....Yay, can't wait to see what happens...off to work, see you all later.

• Like 11

I'm kinda surprised that Yeong has yet to ask Ra On why she's been pretending to be a man.  I know she won't have much of an answer but is he not curious at all?

Blah I was hoping a teaser would be out by the time I wake up tomorrow.  :lol:. Are they really delayed on filming or are they releasing the preview on purpose?

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Phuong Dinh said:

Fate by Lee Sun Hee is forever my No.1 OST in all sageuk dramas/movies

So I  had to make this FMV with the sad scenes in Moonlight using Fate as background music. It actually fits amazingly :)

@Phuong Dinh fantastic MV, keep up the good work! Amazing OST. I read that Lee Sun Hee was in the audience watching  this epic performance of "Fate" by a duo (Yoon Min Soo and Shin Yong Jae) at "Immortal Songs"  - the KBSKpop clip has over 12 million views. 

If Shin Yong Jae is available, my hope is that he'll be a surprise addition to the OST line-up for MDBC. Yoon Min Soo is now filming "Law of the Jungle"  in East Timor

Spoiler

with Hwang Chi Yeul :) -  their group are scheduled to be back in S Korea on 27 September

so I don't think he'll be available (he'd be a good choice for OST singer as well).

@USAFarmgirl thanks for your post, it's beautifully written.

• Like 10