[Drama 2016] The Good Wife 굿 와이프

larus

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, sawdust said:

@kdyes : appreciated your insightful post. it makes HK in Ep. 12 less frustrating for me ^_^... now if she can just get off her high horse for a bit...

On a different note, was I the only one bothered by the scene in Ep. 12 mentioning the price of the hotel suite?

SMH at the writers, but is $4000 supposed to be the magic number of what one night w/ HK is "worth" to JW? And (insert sarcastic tone here) is this $4000 supposed to be a high number for JW? Or a low number? Does spending $4000 somehow make their night a little more romantic and a little less seedy? Seriously, writers?? Not only should JW's willingness to pay $4000/night be totally irrelevant for how they view each other, but it was such a cheesy and cringeworthy moment that should've been mercilessly cut out in the editing room...

This is just one example of how the writers romanticize HK's affair - meanwhile condemning TJ's betrayal and making Dan's involvement so unforgivable/reprehensible in HK's eyes... No doubt TJ screwed up on a scale far greater than HK, but his indiscretions are portrayed as lies worthy of public shaming, and HK's becomes a night of romance in a $4000 suite lol...

When others have an affair, it's a dirty thing to do. But when it's mine, it's finding true love in a conveniently slow elevator... smh.

No offense but I think your dislike for the affair has colored your interpretation of what's going on. This wasn't putting a price on their night. It was showing that JW wasn't going to let this chance slip through his fingers which meant that he was even willing to pay an exorbitant price for the room

@bananacad , it's more than a rumor. That's why the actress playing Kalinda had to leave the show early and they couldn't even film their last scene together in the same room. However, I'm not sure that their drama had begun when they introduced the conflict of her relationship with Peter. 

Back to this show, wow, Tae Joon has now begun to target Joong Won. I'm glad that's why Kim Dan has decided to stay. She's one loyal lady.

On 2016-08-14 at 11:23 PM, kdyes said:

@sawdust

I do feel that HG is being too harsh with Dan.  Not that she shouldn't have been upset.  It just sounds overly strong given HG and KD's relationship. Even is her reaction was less strong, she must feel totally weird to see and be around KD.   I remembered the two neighbors comments about HG being a bit full of herself.  So she does have some character flaws.  If occasional haughtiness is the sum of it, that's not so bad.

But I think there's no horse high enough from which to look down on her soon-to-be ex-husband.  She was the devoted diligent wife for years and made a family.  We're seeing that he has been and is a liar and conniver about many things.  Her involvement with JW didn't happen because she stepped out one day on her devoted, chaste husband.  Someone on the thread said he seemed mobster-like in terms of his violence.  I felt the same from him.  He's very ambitious and now for his political aspirations he needs an arm-piece, HG.  So it's bad timing for him that she's pushed him away resolutely at last.  Remember Dan saying that when TJ wants something, there's nothing to stop him.  TJ's kind of amoral.  HG is not seedy.  I don't see a grown woman being in a sexual relationship being "seedy."   And that includes when 2 people are beginning the divorce process and one gets involved with someone else.  It's not ideal, certainly, but the relationship (her marriage) has ended.  Before she was sure it had ended, HG stopped JW and herself saying "this isn't right" when he kissed her and she kissed back. 

Guess we'll find out next week why HG and JW didn't go to his place. Too far away?  The hotel surprised me.  I'm wondering if she stays the night, given her responsibilities as a mother.

@kdyes

In total agreement on your comments abt  the HK/JW new budding relationship. HK is no perfect human, but she is not immoral - when married, she did not go any further with first kissing.

Except these:

1)  agree HK feels weird around KD but I don't find HK's reaction that out of the norm.
HK has almost always been candid around KD; with the latter always being elusive abt her own private life while KD herself has a knack of observing/being perceptive and sussing out others' secrets and dishing out advice.  (This includes advising JW to go for it)

Distinctly recall KD and HK sitting at a bar (the only bar everyone seem to go to and always sitting at the counter too) where HK opened up, and then when it came to KD .... she skirted the topic by saying "that's private" and HK saying "hey, but whatever I just told you was all MY PRIVATE life too."

So there's that existing IN-balance in honesty to start off with: HK respecting KD's need for  'privacy' and space, but yet now  discovering all the mystery surrounding KD (even JW didn't know that much abt her) concerned herself + her (soon to be ex)husband. HK trusted her, and this is the 'betrayal' (it's NOT just the affair ... it's coupled with the betrayal of a 'friend' she trusted/confided in, and HK does NOT seem have real friends beyond JW).  KD who in retrospect, NOW looks like she was always fishing for info abt HK life/ family etc when seeming like she was nice and cared.

So not just affair betrayal, but DOUBLE betrayal (of a 'friend' HK treasured since she has few or none)

2) "I remembered the two neighbors comments about HG being a bit full of herself. " = the 2 school moms?
The gossip groupie insincere types who met for tea dressed to the nines, the superficial types who were there only for good times or to brag = that was the impression I got.  

As such, can see why HK distanced herself (there was this scene where she had a m'ry).  Looked in (window), saw her former self sitting (tolerating?) these tea-sessions with them and how she excused herself from the conversation to go seek refuge in the peace of her kitchen instead with the ajjuma.

I can see why ... it's probably a lot of inane chatter and gossip, and insincere lip service among such women and these types. HK also being intelligent maybe couldn't relate much.

When shite hit the fan, no one else supported her = what friends? what kindness?

3) " I'm wondering if she stays the night, given her responsibilities as a mother."
I have long stopped wondering abt her hrs/staying out//her kids

= Her 2 kids seem to be on their own a lot ... once she disappeared overnight after receiving a call to work on an urgent case (imagine waking up - no mom, no bfast etc), and this case went on for days

= How the kids seem to cope endlessly with meals/laundry/housekeeping (neat house!) themselves, since her elder kid at most would be only 15.

= And even after working late, HK can sit at bars drinking, or with JW or KD instead of hurrying home

= Given they are pre-teens = a little unreal how understanding they still are too, and are willing to talk to mom given she is out of the home so much. ;)

14 minutes ago, jusash said:

@kdyes

In total agreement on your comments abt  the HK/JW new budding relationship. HK is no perfect human, but she is not immoral - when married, she did not go any further with first kissing.

Except these:

1)  agree HK feels weird around KD but I don't find HK's reaction that out of the norm.
HK has almost always been candid around KD; with the latter always being elusive abt her own private life while KD herself has a knack of observing/being perceptive and sussing out others' secrets and dishing out advice.  (This includes advising JW to go for it)

Distinctly recall KD and HK sitting at a bar (the only bar everyone seem to go to and always sitting at the counter too) where HK opened up, and then when it came to KD .... she skirted the topic by saying "that's private" and HK saying "hey, but whatever I just told you was all MY private life too."
So there's that existing IN-balance in honesty to start off with: HK respecting her 'privacy' and space, but yet now  discovering all the mystery surrounding KD (even JW didn't know that much abt her) concerned herself + her (soon to be ex)husband.

HK trusted her, and this is the 'betrayal' (it's NOT just the affair ... it's coupled with the betrayal of a 'friend' she trusted/confided in, and HK does NOT seem have real friends beyond JW.  KD who in retrospect, NOW looks like she was always fishing for info abt HK life/ family etc when seeming like she was nice and cared.

So not just affair betrayal, but DOUBLE betrayal (of a friend she treasured since she has few or none)

2) "I remembered the two neighbors comments about HG being a bit full of herself. " = the 2 school moms?
The gossip groupie insincere types who met for tea dressed to the nines, the superficial types who were there only for good times or to brag = that was the impression I got.  

As such, can see why HK distanced herself (there was this scene where she had a m'ry of looked in (window), saw her previous self with them, where she excused herself from the conversation to go seek refuge in the peace of her kitchen instead with the ajjuma.

I can see why ... it's probably a lot of inane chatter and gossip, and insincere lip service among such women and these types. HK also intelligent and maybe couldn't relate,

When shite the fan, no one else supported her = what friends? what kindness?

3) " I'm wondering if she stays the night, given her responsibilities as a mother."
I have long stopped wondering abt her hrs/staying out//her kids

Her 2 kids seem to be on their own a lot ... once she dissapeared overnight after receiving a call to work on an urgent case (imagine waking up - no mom, no bfast etc), and this case went on for days

How the kids seem to cope endlessly with meals/laundry/house.keeping (neat house!) since her elder kid at most would be only 15.

And even after working late, HK can sit at bars drinking, or with JW or KD instead of hurrying home

Given they are pre-teens = a little unreal how understanding they still are tooand are willing to talk to yegiven she is out of the home so much. ;)

Yes, agree the old neighbors were dreadful in all the ways you said, ugh.  Still, I had to wonder about the separate comments made perhaps having some truth in there...in terms of @sawdust's reactions about high-handedness.  Not a tragic flaw like TJ is full of.

Just watched the eng sub after watching the raw.  I felt that HK reaction to KD was that of betrayal. She felt that KD had betrayed her trust and she also felt like a fool telling all her deepest most feelings about her husband and relationship woes to KD.

Its also a bad timing issue where HK was ready to move on from that one incident that TJ had with Amber but to her surprise, there was another one prior to this scandal. To her she could no longer trust TJ from just 1 to just 2. For all she knows, its 3 or 4 or even more. Just not being revealed. I believe had TJ had been upfront regarding his 'incidents' from the first scandal, she might have still believed him.

But then again, the whole point of the drama at this point was her finding herself after 15years of marriage to someone she thought she could trust and rely on. Remember, there was a point in the show where they highlighted that she was the best in her class and that even TJ admired her abilities. And throughout the show, it was also highlighted that she is capable and had 'buried' her talents in being the capable housewife to the star prosecutor. 

Her decision to separate from TJ was not a selfish one. It was a rational one, where she had given up many things to be a dutiful wife, mother and daughter in law to the extent where she no longer knew what she was capable of. Just simply LTJ wife, till the scandal happened.

Her past relationship with JW was a huge IF in her life that she had to find out if it was meant for her. Yes, the timing was wrong then, but remember she said, if she had to make the choice then again in the past. She would have made the same decision. But now when she has decided to take care of herself, she wants live for herself again.

I can relate, its not right but then again after the first breakout of TJ scandal the marriage was over but she forgave him until she found out about KD and felt that it was enough from TJ. If the 2 pages was revealed, not only will TJ be destroyed politically but his professional career as a legal eagle will be over. Rather than have that threat looming over their heads as a couple, she made the exit and said its enough. 

So she took the higher road and decided that TJ was no longer the trusting husband she had and will not be taken as fool again.

She is taking her life back again and since she is not some unmarried woman who needs to hold on to her chastity for any manner, she is being honest with herself and JW. The most that can happen is that she maybe accused of having an affair but after her ex-husband public scandal, she will be let off based on extenuating circumstances. 

I guess I was so happy for HK after the last scene with JW that I am looking forward to see how much more competitive she can get with TJ to beat him at his game.

The Good Wife: Episode 11

by odilettante | August 17, 2016 | 8 Comments

goodwife1100115a.jpg

What’s more important in winning cases? Is it skill? Perceived image? Sheer determination? All of the above? Hye-kyung finds herself asking these very questions as she struggles to find an answer. Tae-joon also has to figure out where he now fits in the scheme of things, and let’s just say “scheme” is the apt word choice here.

Read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/08/the-good-wife-episode-11/

Top Topic Discussion on Ep. 13

201608192135561119_1.jpg

Credit : tvN Drama

Rating  8/20/2016 ( Nationwide )

1. The Good Wife ( tvN ) : 5.203 % ( + 0.981 % )  --------------------> Ep. 13

2. Age of Youth ( jtbc ) : 1.752 % ( + 0.379 % )  ----------------------> Ep. 9

Credit : AGB Nielsen

After watching episode 13 I have never been more happier to have had a conversation with someone with a differing perspective @sawdust, because it's truly thanks to you that I decided to step into "meta" and dive into the complexities that I believed HK possessed (and explore roles that women are often in) rather than keeping my textual view of her on a superficial level and letting it evolve to in-depth. 

After I had read your responses I had felt the need to share what I saw her decision to be with JW as, which was that to me, it was all about HK. And to have had my semi-muddled train of thought validated, that when she's with JW she feels like she's herself. JW isn't stripping her of her identity or telling her to adhere to her husband's, but letting her embrace and explore it, all the while being understanding that she's a mother, wife, etc... and simply put the situation at hand is just really freaking complicated. It was so... idk the word(s) to describe it. Maybe, mentally stimulating? 

Idk, however, let me just say, I'm so grateful we had the our little discourse, so I'm sending virtual high five your way, lol. You made me think, and I haven't been that happy to have been engaged in some good ole fashion meta since Temptation. *deep breath* Now that I've got all that out, onto cute things.

adfjyekdmemlk; my babies; JW getting HK flowers, her holding his hand (i’m a sucker for hand holding). them being super cute at work when talking by the stairs. HK is so freaking cute when she's happy. I am beyond reaaaady for 14. Yet so so scared for the last 2 episodes of this drama which upon us next week *sigh*.

August 20, 2016

Girl Group Member Nana Proves Herself in Acting Debut

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Nana of girl group After School is receiving rave reviews for her acting skills in "The Good Wife" on cable channel tvN. 

Nana made her Korean drama debut in the remake of the hit U.S. series after appearing in the Chinese soap "Love Weaves Through a Millennium."

2016082000588_0.jpg

"The Good Wife" received much attention for its star-studded cast, including Jeon Do-yeon, Yoo Ji-tae, Yoon Kye-sang and Kim Seo-hyung. 

When the news of Nana being cast got out, many people were skeptical because she was only known for her model-like figure. But from the first episode on, she has shown impressive talent and removed any doubts about her abilities.

"The Good Wife" is to end its 16-episode run on Aug. 27.

Whaaaat this series ends next week? Nooooooooooooo. They need to have Season 2, PLEASE!

Omg I just love all the characters so much and I loved the appearance of the brother, he needs to make another appearance! 

Archived