[Drama 2016] The Good Wife 굿 와이프

larus

Unpopular opinion and spoilers ahead:

I haven't watched the American version, but I'm disappointed w/ what the writers are doing w/ HK's character (esp. in ep. 12)... It may be for the ratings, to make the drama racier/sexier, or whatever the reason - but did they REALLY have to make her have an affair w/ JW? Is that all she's worth? IMHO the HK that was portrayed in ep. 1-11 just doesn't seem like she would have gone to that damn hotel.... Yes, they kissed in his office earlier, and yes she went back in the ill-fated elevator, but HK and JW's supposed "love line" should have really ended at her declaration to JW over the phone at TJ's press conference... People can be weak, and HK showed she was human and vulnerable when she kissed JW in his office, but the HK I've grown to love and respect just killed it for me w/ the writers making her go to the damn hotel... jeez.

Couldn't she have continued w/ her bad-assery by still maintaining her dignity & virtue? Why bring her down to TJ's level? OK. Scratch that. She can never be as low as TJ, but you get the idea... An affair for an affair? Is that all you can do writers???? 

And am I the only one bothered by HK's holier-than-thou/hypocritical approach to those she doesn't like? So your husband has an affair which disgusts you and which you condemn, and then you go and have one of your own? You know how TJ's affair affected your children, and then you go and carry on the same way? Then you bring up TJ's affair when your mother in law calls you out on it? Seriously??? 

The HK from Ep. 1-11 and HK in Ep. 12 just doesn't seem like the same person...

Yes, this proves HK is human too... but why make her commit the same dirty sin TJ was/is despised for? i don't see how her having the affair w/ JW does any good for her character... she was OWNING TJ every step of the way while still upholding her pride/dignity/virtue, and she practically CONQUERED TJ by using his body for her physical desires... the HK from Ep. 1-11 would have divorced TJ's richard simmons before getting it on w/ JW...

And I'm not convinced by the reasoning that HK's affair somehow makes her "stronger" or how her affair is her way of giving TJ the big fat middle finger... HK has been doing FINE in showing TJ who's boss without having to get her hands dirty...

End rant. Sorry if none of this made any sense... 

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is going with the original plot, I believe. 

And I haven't seen ep 12 but she broke up with TJ so while they aren't legally separated yet, they've broken up. 

However, it's obvious the love line didn't end at her declaration because she never got to listen to JW's message. That how we knew that there was more to come.

Yeah, I feel like w/out a divorce/legal separation, an affair is still an affair  - and that's still the cowardly way to go...

It's almost as if she wants the best of both worlds - she doesn't go through w/ the divorce and cut ties w/ TJ altogether due to the consequence it'll have on her children + her reputation + her finances - but at the same time she still wants what she wants w/ JW...

You can't have your cake and eat it too... or maybe she can b/c she's HK.. i don't even know anymore... i just expected her to be less.... predictable in the drama universe sense. if anything, her self-righteousness is blegh...

And I do realize that HK missed JW's voicemail... but as I wrote, that's just my personal preference for where HK and JW's loveline "should" have ended... 

@sawdust:

While I do hear what you are saying ... I'd say yes, and no

(1) HK is not the type to 'test waters' or is wishy-washy if she was NOT already firmly resolved to divorce.

Seperation/Break up is just her own tactful way of gently letting her kids get used to the idea  (ie a transition to get used to) but for her it's definitely over with zilch hope = TJ and her are so done to the pt of 'go-jio' get out, go away.

(2) So they are seperated. I stand corrected on this but seperation does allow one to have a bf/gf, no?

Yes, it may/does complicate matters as the 3rd party can be unfairly 'used'  and cited as a reason for marital breakdown in a divorce even if dating had started AFTER the seperation (but it's hard to prove). And with TJ's narcissistic and manipulative personality it will be likely that he will stoop that LOW

(3) While it is pretty drastic that HK-JW are taking it straight to intimacy right after affirmation of feelings; morals/ethics be damned = she sacrificed for 15 yrs and put her-everything selflessly on a back burner, not realizing how selfish (and UN-lovingly manipulative) TJ really was. From start -> end.

As  HK has commented herself = stepping OUT  of the marriage has allowed her to see  TJ and his warped arguments with so much more clarity

4 ) I am NOT in favor of her sitting on her morals like a nun as she has already missed out on 15 yrs of her life being everything for everyone except herself.

HK-JW are NOT stepping on anyone's toes starting this romance = I don't see it on the same footing as TJ's deceit, disrespect to her with his 2 (known) affairs

I still feel like the writers butchered HK’s character in Ep. 11-12…

You may be right about the divorce being inevitable, but HK’s intentions (subconscious or willful) in delaying severing all ties w/ TJ while becoming intimate w/ JW just doesn’t seem to be as selfless or considerate as you claim…

She keeps the string connected to TJ just enough to delay the consequences of divorce, while justifying to herself that she can now do what she wants w/ JW b/c she and TJ are not living together…

Why make pretense of a supportive marriage in front of reporters? Why not be more honest w/ her children if, as she claims to her mother in law, they are old enough to understand?

As you said, HK may have wanted to make it easier for her children to transition towards the divorce, hence the living apart, but that delay/not being fully honest w/ them could also give them false hope and only increase their disappointment/betrayal later on…

I personally don’t think the decision to kick TJ out of the house had anything to do w/ her consideration for her children… HK simply doesn’t want TJ to think she’s someone who’ll take him back whenever he asks for forgiveness… And she's sick of his lies...

But she obviously was willing to forgive/start anew after the very public revelation of his affair, and somehow that abruptly changes when she finds he had a prior affair and lied about it being a “one time mistake”…

I’m not condoning what TJ did – he’s scum of the earth pure and simple.

But the writers are also getting lazy w/ HK’s character:

TJ lied to HK so many times about so many things… Why separate now? Why this time? How is his affair w/ Dan different from his seediness broadcasted for everyone to see? If the writers are going to make TJ’s past affair w/ Dan the straw that broke the camel’s back, then they need to do a better job justifying why… and they also shouldn’t have done that while making HK start her relationship w/ JW… that’s just so unlike her… or who she was Ep. 1-10.

The fact that it was Dan’s affair that tipped HK over the edge, and the fact that all of this happened at a time while HK’s developing feelings for JW makes her decision to kick TJ out – all about her (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). Her pride was hurt by Dan (and TJ repeatedly). Her desire for JW will obviously be immoral if she stays married to TJ. And HK is unable to accept these things. That's fine. She should get mad. She should kick TJ out. But what irks me is her self-righteousness in light of all this ...

And did HK really ‘miss out’ on 15 years of her life? If TJ’s lies were never exposed, would she really feel that way? She was the one who made the decision to cover up for TJ in the past, and after being betrayed, HK’s recollection of family life before TJ’s scandal exploded was always one of a happy one… I highly doubt she was discontent w/ life and unhappy w/ her choices before richard simmons hit the fan w/ TJ’s scandal…

Hi !  

It's my first time joining this thread.  But I've been watching this show since day 1. I started because I was a huge fan of the American original,  and I'd say I am quite impressed with this remake.  They really tried to keep the story as aligned to the original as possible,  the deleted voicemail was almost word for word translated from the original.  The elevator scene with the kid pressing all the floors,  the opening and closing of doors on every floor,  the anticipation and desire as they ride up.  It's all very much like the original.  Even the opposition lawyer we saw in the last two episodes resembles the one from the American show. American equivalent is played by Michael J Fox who himself the actor,  has Parkinson's disease and hence has uncontrolled movement.  

There are also some differences,  Eli Gold from the American show (one if my favourite characters)  is currently represented as TJ's lawyer. In the American show he was much less stoic and more jester like to lighten the mood,  but he nonetheless was the political player for the husband.  As well as the one responsible for deleting the voice mail.  

I think the biggest difference between the Korean  drama and the American one right now,  is the length in time. The American show was 7 seasons long with 22 some episodes each,  so the emotions and situations were able to be built up better.   I can understand why some of you are disagreeing with HK's actions because the decision seems abrupt and perhaps degrading her character. However,  seeing how the production team wants to follow the original story as closely as possible (until now that is) I also understand that the writer doesn't have a lot of time to build up that tension so the story may seem a little inconsistent.  To put into perspective,  episode 12 covers up to season 2-3 ish in the American plot line,  that's nearly 50 some episodes. So, in consideration with how little the Korean writer has to work with,  I think he/she is actually doing a pretty good job.  However I am curious how the story is going to continue.  If they continue to follow the American plot,  something very dramatic will happen.  But I am being optimistic,  perhaps this remake gives audience the opportunity to see the -  'what if it hadn't' ? 

EP. 12

201608132121551113_1_99_20160813213504.j

Screen+Shot+2016-08-13+at+11.33.50+PM.pn

Mydaily - Naver: 'Good Wife', Jeon Do Yeon and Yoon Kye Sang's passionate kiss... what will happen to Yoo Ji Tae? 

1. [+4,290, -65] "Shall we guess the timing right?" ah Yoon Kye Sang ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+2,956, -83] Kim Seo Hyung and Jeon Do Yeon were lovely today~~ Nana is cute ㅠㅠ

3. [+2,754, -92] Wow, the whole hour felt like I watched a movie... Everyone's acting blows me away

4. [+2,455, -97] The last part is daebak, it made my heart flutter ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

5. [+2,311, -98] Ah seriously, I get nervous each time the elevator opens

6. [+886, -12] Joong Won: there's no room at all?!

Spoiler

2016081321031532823-540x1201_99_20160813

Screen+Shot+2016-08-13+at+11.34.23+PM.pn

Ten Asia - Naver: 'Good Wife', Nana tells Jeon Do Yeon "I liked you lawyer", a confession?

1. [+1,594, -23] This is a love confession tho ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ

2. [+1,258, -24] It's similar to the original too, she's bisexual

3 [+989, -29] Broke my heart when Dan shed a tear..

4. [+974, -40] Ah... this is sad. Nana's good at acting

5. [+460, -59] I wish corrupt lawyer Yoo Jae Myung will retire soon. Can't stand him

6. [+231, -3] Nana really has the visuals of an actress. Why was she in Orange Caramel all this time? She's found her true career

7. [+220, -2] Nana in that scene looks like she's gazing at a person she loves, her eyes are filled with hurt

Credit : http://kkuljaem.blogspot.com/2016/08/spoilers-age-of-youth-cinderella-four.html

First can I just say I have the hugest crush on MH. That pink coral suit she had on made swoon with literal heart eyes lol. Also her new love interest is so hawt, my goodness. Now, I digress.

@sawdust - Let's have some fun discourse. So are you saying because she slept with JW she's can't continue her badassery and still possess dignity & virtue?

Since when and why does her dignity and virtue lie between her legs?

TJ's mother asked if she had another man, which if she did, and she did not at the time is none of her business. TJ's mother overstepped, imo, just because her husband cheated on her and she decided to stay doesn't mean HK should too. She's trying to paint HK as some malicious person and frame up some ridiculous narrative that her son is the victim. Your son lied repeatedly to HK, that's why he's out on his as s. Why should she live with him and have to pretend in front of their kids?

In my perspective HK and TJ are separated within their marriage but not in the public eye. Yet, we can agree on an affair is an affair.

I believe it's the lies that broke the camel's back. HK has been asking TJ repeatedly to just be freaking honest for god's sake and he keeps lying and asking her to trust him. Lying by omission is still lying.

Every single where she goes and practically everyone she meets brings up TJ. The press is annoying and particularly super annoying for HK since they associate literally anything she does with TJ. She was working on an important case for the public and they're still asking about her husband. It's like she can't be free of him. She isn't considered to be simply HK. She's LTJ's wife. If she would have said, "Oh, we're separated." Do you really think they would have left her alone? She'd be back on the news and they'd be all over her trying to find out why. HK is honest with her children about the fact that TJ and she might get a divorce in the end, but it'll take much mutual consideration.

Her affair with JW is for herself. She's taking a moment to do something that she wants. Wrong, but why isn't she allowed to be selfish? Everyone is telling her to just forget that TJ cheated, publicly embarrassed her, and lied for the sake of "family" and not even asking what she wants. Do they even care? I see her being with JW as a kind of a self-liberation. She's making this decision for herself, even if it's a wrong one. JW sees her as HK and I think that's what she wants right now. Someone to see her for who she is and knows her worth, and doesn’t diminish that through seeing her via the validation of her husband if that makes sense. 

Episode 12:

Things got "resolved" quicker than I thought. In the original series, Alicia didn't find out about the actual voicemail until it was too late (a couple of seasons after it happened). I'm a bit taken aback by their non-reaction, however, that they both don't wonder why she didn't hear the 2nd voicemail.

I love the elevator scene. It was so cute! I didn't expect this at all, I'm just wowed. 

And JW's pretty much too nervous to open the door, hahaha. Loved that touch, too. 

@ihyuni:

Virtual high five for MH's coral suit. :w00t:

As for my rant w/ HK, no doubt, she'll continue onward and forward w/ her badassery b/c that’s just who she’s been for Ep. 1-10.

Since the drama began, HK’s been giving TJ richard simmons for his infidelity. Sure, she was bothered by his lies/professional scandals, but in the earlier episodes, she’s always made a point of calling TJ out on his decision to sleep around…

So the writers obviously made HK out to be someone who is disgusted by infidelity, only to have her go and commit the very act she is repulsed by… was that the best they could do? Yes, HK should feel free to do what she wants. She’s a grown woman. An amazing one at that. If she wants JW, you go girl, he’s a fine piece of specimen.

BUT, the fact that the writers made HK hold such a double standard for herself seemed to be a major disservice to who she was in ep. 1-10.

As much as I agree w/ you about how the public never addresses HK as an individual w/out failing to mention TJ, I was still pretty irked by HK’s comment to the reporters… What she said about her husband’s support for her is, quite frankly, not what I expected HK from ep. 1-10 to say… The HK from ep. 1-10 would be forthright and tell reporters that the case she’s working on has nothing to do w/ TJ and that she’d like to focus the public’s attention on the issue at hand – not on her personal affairs… But, again, the writers started getting lazy and made her respond in much the same way TJ would have – presenting a façade of a happy/supportive marriage – when it’s obvious she feels the rotting underneath.

This raises my original rant against Ep. 11-12, how the script made HK do a 180 degree turn from who she was, and now all I’m beginning to see is someone who is stooping down to TJ’s level… again, she could never reach so low, but…

As I’ve said before, my beef is not so much with what HK did, but how the writers inserted unnecessary hypocrisy in HK’s character that need not have happened… The HK from Ep. 1-10, imho, has too much pride, self-worth, and self-awareness to allow herself to do the very thing she hated TJ for…

IMO, her sleeping w/ JW is not self-liberation. HK is capable of liberating herself in so many other ways. And she has been doing so time and time again Ep. 1-10.

If, as you say, HK wanted “someone to see her for who she is and knows her worth”, sleeping w/ JW was definitely not the only way… I’m sure we can both agree HK’s “worth” is not “between her legs”, so it’d be unfair to both HK and JW to say that their being intimate w/ each other was necessary for HK to liberate herself or for JW to show her she’s worth more than her shared identity w/ TJ…

I am a bit  confused with the real TJ. He has shown some cruel and violent side of him and when he shows it, it seemed that  he accompanied some gangster like big men with him. Does it mean that he actually organize a sort of gang to do some dirty job to make a big money on top of his prosecutor's career?

6 hours ago, sawdust said:

The HK from Ep. 1-10, imho, has too much pride, self-worth, and self-awareness to allow herself to do the very thing she hated TJ for…

IMO, her sleeping w/ JW is not self-liberation. HK is capable of liberating herself in so many other ways. And she has been doing so time and time again Ep. 1-10.

If, as you say, HK wanted “someone to see her for who she is and knows her worth”, sleeping w/ JW was definitely not the only way… I’m sure we can both agree HK’s “worth” is not “between her legs”, so it’d be unfair to both HK and JW to say that their being intimate w/ each other was necessary for HK to liberate herself or for JW to show her she’s worth more than her shared identity w/ TJ…

@sawdust And this is where we differ because I don't believe she hates TJ for having the affair. I believe she hates him for his constant lies. I mean he lies as easily as he breathes. She forgave him for his affair, and believed him when he said he was going to change and that they could work on their marriage as long as he was honest, but he wasn't. He told lie after lie and this is the result. This whole entire drama HK been saying I'm tired of lies and what does TJ keep doing... lying. An omissive lie is a lie. When HK confronted him about KD he had the audacity to say her forgiveness for his public affair also includes one unbeknownst to her. Congratulation TJ, you played yourself. 

While we can agree to disagree. HK sleeping with JW still is an act of self-liberation even if you don't like it. It's her taking control of her autonomy. It's her decision and choice. HK play all these roles as a mother, a dil, a wife, etc; and her being with JW was purely about her. She didn't need to show her worth to JW because he already knows it. He views her outside of her husband's identity and makes her feel secure in her own identity. Now sure them sleeping together wasn't necessary and sure they could of went another way but where would the drama be in that, ha. Oh and virtual high five received, lol.

32 minutes ago, ihyuni said:

@sawdust And this is where we differ because I don't believe she hates TJ for having the affair. I believe she hates him for his constant lies. I mean he lies as easily as he breathes. She forgave him for his affair, and believed him when he said he was going to change and that they could work on their marriage as long as he was honest, but he wasn't. He told lie after lie and this is the result. This whole entire drama HK been saying I'm tired of lies and what does TJ keep doing... lying. An omissive lie is a lie. When HK confronted him about KD he had the audacity to say her forgiveness for his public affair also includes one unbeknownst to her. Congratulation TJ, you played yourself. 

While we can agree to disagree. HK sleeping with JW still is an act of self-liberation even if you don't like it. It's her taking control of her autonomy. It her decision and choice. HK play all these roles as a mother, a dil, a wife, etc; and her being with JW was purely about her. She didn't need to show her worth to JW because he already knows it. He views her outside of her husband's identity and makes her feel secure in her own identity. Now sure them sleeping together wasn't necessary and sure they could of went another way but where would the drama be in that, ha. 

I really like what you wrote and I really agree with you! 

I'm disappointed how everybody is saying that HK "lowered herself" or "is just as bad as her husband now" (for being a cheater) or how an "affair is still an affair".... Yes HK is a cheater if you look at their marriage from the outside. But like they said in the drama: You don't know what happens between a married couple. HK is married to TJ but she made it clear to him that it's over between them. In other words they are only married on paper now. Only after that did she sleep with JW! So I don't think that she is a hypocrite, a cheater or having an affair because in my eyes she wasn't in a relationship with TJ any more! OH I just remembered......SHE TOOK THE RING OFF!!!

But there are two problems that I could see arise in the future. First, the public will see HK as a cheater and hypocrite (like the majority of you in this discussion). Most of you probably think she should've divorced her husband first and then get together with JW. But like I said, I think she is practically not married anymore. 
The second thing is her not telling her children clearly about not being quite married anymore :sweatingbullets: she actually did tell her children that she tried to get back together with TJ but it didn't work out. She also told her daughter that there was a possibility that they could divorce. But perhaps she should be more specific or direct even if it will be difficult for the children! 

@ChyuuNyuu : I guess this is where it becomes evident how people can have very different standards of what’s right/wrong...

For me personally, kicking out your husband or removing your wedding ring doesn't make it okay to sleep w/ another man... no matter how inevitable the divorce is... if anything, HK's affair (sorry, but that's what I see it as) is all the more questionable b/c of how repulsed she is by Dan and TJ...

I guess if I’m like @ihyuni and I think of HK’s affair as an expression of self-liberation, I can save myself the frustration of what the writers are doing to HK’s character, but I just can’t get myself to see how her sleeping w/ JW somehow was the best or only way for her to embrace her new identity as “just HK”, and not as “TJ’s wife”… If HK's tipping point was TJ's lies, wouldn't her sleeping w/ JW also be a betrayal towards her children, albeit by omission? Again, and I know I'm repeating myself, but it's hard to justify HK's affair as self-liberation/discovery when it's rooted in such double standards...

And thanks @bananacad for raising the issue… The questionable and abrupt change in HK’s character is slightly more understandable when considering how hundreds of episodes needed to be condensed into 16... 

Decided not to lurk any longer after reading all the comments about HG.  I’ve been really happy to watch a drama that’s got more sophistication, more complexity (not gimmickry) than usual.  Since I never saw the American original, the comment about having to condense many long seasons into 16 eps has been helpful. Thx.  Meanwhile what to say about HG and JW. 

For me, this drama, which seems to adopt generally the original’s premise and go from there, has highlighted for us that people are inconsistent and flawed.  That applies to HG, too:  taking the rap for the car accident, which wasn’t only loving TJ but seriously deceptive, and now her weaknesses in dealing with her path to divorce (life is complicated and how we deal with children is far from perfect), are there.  We’ve also heard from two people that when she was up on top she was bossy and insensitive.  And, speaking of sexual misbehavior, after getting steamy with JW she jumps on TJ.  He might have been her husband, but he was a bit of a boy toy right then wasn’t he…and as she turns away the next morning. Yes, she’s our heroine, and deserves our admiration for the majority of her heart and actions, but she’s got flaws.  This version of The Good Wife seems to be a show about how complex we all are, virtues and flaws.  I think that’s been stated one or two times.  Some characters come out more likeable, respectful, than others.

HG moved the husband out of the house, returned her ring and has spoken for a second time with a divorce attorney after finding out she could really NOT trust her husband.  Marriage over.  Okay, so she didn’t get in a taxi and go directly to file divorce papers.  She’s finding her way with her children being the big factor – or she would have gotten her own place and filed.  I don’t equate her moving on to JW as even in the same sentence as her husband’s infidelities.  The louse TJ pulled the wool over his wife’s eyes and planned for it to stay in place.  Instead love—a genuine love held for a long time – has arrived in front of her as her 15-year relationship has dissolved.  It’s a rare thing to find that love in anyone’s life.  Why pass on it?  She’s a mature woman who has left her husband, will not reconcile and will be getting a divorce.  She’s found love.  Is it all squeaky clean?  No.  So here we are again with our complex selves, warts and all, as we try to manage through life. 

Beef: new Soompi’s limited commenting tools aren’t as good as the old ones which made for a much livelier forum.  Too bad.

@kdyes : appreciated your insightful post. it makes HK in Ep. 12 less frustrating for me ^_^... now if she can just get off her high horse for a bit...

On a different note, was I the only one bothered by the scene in Ep. 12 mentioning the price of the hotel suite?

SMH at the writers, but is $4000 supposed to be the magic number of what one night w/ HK is "worth" to JW? And (insert sarcastic tone here) is this $4000 supposed to be a high number for JW? Or a low number? Does spending $4000 somehow make their night a little more romantic and a little less seedy? Seriously, writers?? Not only should JW's willingness to pay $4000/night be totally irrelevant for how they view each other, but it was such a cheesy and cringeworthy moment that should've been mercilessly cut out in the editing room...

This is just one example of how the writers romanticize HK's affair - meanwhile condemning TJ's betrayal and making Dan's involvement so unforgivable/reprehensible in HK's eyes... No doubt TJ screwed up on a scale far greater than HK, but his indiscretions are portrayed as lies worthy of public shaming, and HK's becomes a night of romance in a $4000 suite lol...

When others have an affair, it's a dirty thing to do. But when it's mine, it's finding true love in a conveniently slow elevator... smh.

@sawdust

I do feel that HG is being too harsh with Dan.  Not that she shouldn't have been upset.  It just sounds overly strong given HG and KD's relationship. Even is her reaction was less strong, she must feel totally weird to see and be around KD.   I remembered the two neighbors comments about HG being a bit full of herself.  So she does have some character flaws.  If occasional haughtiness is the sum of it, that's not so bad.

But I think there's no horse high enough from which to look down on her soon-to-be ex-husband.  She was the devoted diligent wife for years and made a family.  We're seeing that he has been and is a liar and conniver about many things.  Her involvement with JW didn't happen because she stepped out one day on her devoted, chaste husband.  Someone on the thread said he seemed mobster-like in terms of his violence.  I felt the same from him.  He's very ambitious and now for his political aspirations he needs an arm-piece, HG.  So it's bad timing for him that she's pushed him away resolutely at last.  Remember Dan saying that when TJ wants something, there's nothing to stop him.  TJ's kind of amoral.  HG is not seedy.  I don't see a grown woman being in a sexual relationship being "seedy."   And that includes when 2 people are beginning the divorce process and one gets involved with someone else.  It's not ideal, certainly, but the relationship (her marriage) has ended.  Before she was sure it had ended, HG stopped JW and herself saying "this isn't right" when he kissed her and she kissed back. 

Guess we'll find out next week why HG and JW didn't go to his place. Too far away?  The hotel surprised me.  I'm wondering if she stays the night, given her responsibilities as a mother.

2 hours ago, sawdust said:

On a different note, was I the only one bothered by the scene in Ep. 12 mentioning the price of the hotel suite?

SMH at the writers, but is $4000 supposed to be the magic number of what one night w/ HK is "worth" to JW? And (insert sarcastic tone here) is this $4000 supposed to be a high number for JW? Or a low number? Does spending $4000 somehow make their night a little more romantic and a little less seedy? Seriously, writers?? Not only should JW's willingness to pay $4000/night be totally irrelevant for how they view each other, but it was such a cheesy and cringeworthy moment that should've been mercilessly cut out in the editing room...

This is just one example of how the writers romanticize HK's affair - meanwhile condemning TJ's betrayal and making Dan's involvement so unforgivable/reprehensible in HK's eyes... No doubt TJ screwed up on a scale far greater than HK, but his indiscretions are portrayed as lies worthy of public shaming, and HK's becomes a night of romance in a $4000 suite lol...

When others have an affair, it's a dirty thing to do. But when it's mine, it's finding true love in a conveniently slow elevator... smh.

As for the ridiculous price, I think it's just another instance where they are again trying to follow the original. If i remember correctly, Will Garner  (the american JW) paid $7000-ish for that one night president suite.

@myvilvil i am rooting for a different plot to season 5 as well.... frankly, despite being one of my favourite shows, I thougth the original kinda went downhill after that incident....

@kdyes regarding KD, i agree it may seem that HK is being too harsh. especially now, considering she's having her own affair. There's a rumour, and I am not sure if it's at all a contributing factor, but the rumour was the actress playing Alicia (american HK) and the actress playing Kalinda (american KD) didn't get a long too well. And perhaps the hostility between the 2 actresses affected the relationship of the 2 characters as well. But then again, I think the korean drama is at a pretty crucial point as to whether it will continue to follow the original plot or not.  I am quite excited to see what lies ahead XD. 

And one more thought. I am glad that HK in this korean version at least has better kids. Probably it's because of the differences in western and eastern culture. The 2 kids in the american version were so bratty, and selfish (especially the daughter) that I really didn't like them for the first few seasons. HK's kids at least shows some support for their mother and the daughter even tries to understand from HK's perspective. 

Archived