[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

Chingu, I must say that this is the fastest thread I have ever been a part of because truthfully, I can't keep up at alll. It is so difficult and being so busy in real life I have a hard time reading all the post in this thread.  One thing , I wished Hae Soo was a bit more smarter. You would think being a Modern girl would have made her realized that you can't believe everything you read because it isn't always the truth. Her actions prove to me that even seeing the way people treat So, she still see the good in them when she should be scolding them for mistreating or hurting So's feeling.  She see the pain he is in their treatment of him but never once tried to find out why they treat him that way.  Likes when So saved her and WJ , she did not scold him for hot not thanking So at all. 

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, meahri_1 said:

@Bambiina Hi Chingu! Hope you've been well. Speaking for myself, I can't fault Wook for choosing his family. Depending on their culture, I'd be willing to bet many would be compelled to make the same choice. I think the bulk of the criticism aimed at Wook is primarily due to his inaction, especially as it relates to Haesoo.

On another note, I personally look forward to watching this more throne-focused Wook in the coming episodes. I feel like the complexity of his character has just been raised a notch so it should be fun to watch him attempt to navigate a path to the throne.

I relate his inaction to his obligation he has to his family/clan ... he is very calculative with his actions ... I mean he consider a lot of thing before taking action .. it is all because of his responsibility .. :D that is why I can never be disappointed with him

I always thought his as a responsible person .. may be he is not the right man for HS 

But I can never hate him

I hate his sister though

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, redfrommars said:

I'm also waiting for that. In the Cversion, the first person she told about her being from the future is the 13th prince during their drinking scene. :glasses:

In the C-version does anyone other than the 13th prince find out she's from the future? Does the 4th prince find out?

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, zi4r said:

(Disclaimer: I don't know much about K Industry. My experience with content management & rights sales is limited to North America)

Okay, a few points to tackle here:

1) Domestic ratings are directly tied with the money they can make at the moment --> This statement is correct in itself, because of the phrase "at the moment". At the moment of airing, the amount of $$ they make is tied to domestic viewership. Because this is the variable part of their earnings.

2) International viewers don't affect them since they have already sold the rights to the various countries at a fixed price --> This one is a bit more complicated.

It is true that the $$ they earn is at a fixed price of rights sales. And since this drama has huge simulcast rights sales, the fixed price was based on expectation, which was high, and thus they already have managed to sell at very high price... which means the production team has surely been compensated handsomely from it. And thus, you might feel as if international viewership (whether high or low) doesn't matter anymore.

But it actually does matter. If it were to be not popular, after selling at very high price to overseas channels, it would ruin the reputation/portfolio of production team & cast. And thus, it will affect the expectations of the future productions (as well as the future of pre-produced dramas and also the prices of simulcast dramas).

Now, moving onto non-simulcast rights sales. Negotiations for rights sales to many European countries and Latin America and some parts of Asia usually happen only at the later date. For this, how it performs in international markets matter a whole lot, because it will directly affect negotiation of prices.

Another point I wish to add... The K-Drama world is rapidly changing especially in the last 2-3 years, since the popularity of DF grew. There are so many visible indications of that now... e.g. Universal Studios' investment in Moon Lovers, South Korean remakes of various TV series such as Suits, Netflix & Amazon actively showing interest in K-Dramas & K-film productions. Expansion into international market is undeniable.

For our lead cast & production team to remain competitive in the changing landscape, (especially with Universal's involvement,) this drama needed to show viability in the international markets... which it did. Not only that, Moonlight & Moonlovers have managed to highlight the differences in preferences for plot, casting choices & promotional methods between local & international markets. The various investors into K-Entertainment are not dumb; they would have realized by now that international viewership is a very much monetisable & largely untouched market. So I am pretty sure, while it would have been nice to have high domestic ratings as well, this would not adversely affect the portfolio of the cast & crew by much. (In this regard, I am more worried about the bad reviews for specifics: IU's & Baekyun's acting, music choice, editing, etc...)

All in all, no matter how you look at it, this drama is already a financial success, just based on simulcast rights sales. So if domestic ratings are good, yes, they would have earned more. But if you are just worried that they are not making enough money, I just hope to allay your worries.

It's not that I'm worried about the production team, but that I'm bitter about the situation in Korea. There is a specific amount of money associated with the budget of this show, and the known prices of the internationally sold rights don't quite add up to the total amount. Also, SBS and the production are separate entities, and the general audience in Korea think that SBS is losing money here. Hence they see everything SBS is doing with regards to MLSHR (the 1-hour special episode summary of eps 1-7, the newly edited domestic versions of later episodes) as a desperate but futile attempt to control damage. Whenever reports of MLSHR's international success comes up on the Korean net, the mockery of non-fans grows deeper because it looks like SBS and the production is just trying to save their face without any substance.

Hopefully things will change. Faith and Healer were the two dramas I was deeply engrossed with before MLSHR, and they too seemed popular internationally, but still saw losses (I know that Faith had very unusual circumstances, but even Healer...). The fact that there were bigger investors for MLSHR means this has to deliver more than those two dramas, and I'm not quite sure that it's going to. Maybe I'm just letting all the negativity from the K net get to me. 

• Like 22

38 minutes ago, redfrommars said:

I'm also waiting for that. In the Cversion, the first person she told about her being from the future is the 13th prince during their drinking scene. :glasses:

yah and as i recall in the Cversion .. it was the 13th the one who told the 4th prince about it... like telling him that Rouxi told her a funny story

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, valsava said:

@SizzlerZ  You are right the only way for a Queen to get punished if she's caught giving the poison to the CP herself. I remember when I watch Dong Yi it took and act of serious crimes for her to be punished.. So Queen Yoo crimes are adding up but she's involved but not directly involved this is why she gets away with her crimes and who would dare tell on her she can order people be killed just as the King can she has more authourity over the palace then the king do. (This is something I never understood about the palace) It has to be a serious crime in order for the King to step in since he's like the one that judge the crimes.. I wonder what will the Queen do once WY takes the throne because he knows about a lot of her crimes as she has admit herself she did it.. I need to read more about her and see how she died and hopefully WS offered her the same poison she wanted to pass to the CP..

I'm interested about what she's going to do when Wang Yo becomes king as well. From what I see she's just using him but Wang Yo has actually mistaken that for love (or maybe it's respect). If Wang Yo still loves his mother when he becomes king then I'm sure he wouldn't harm her. Although from the mother-son argument after the rain ritual, it might be that Wang Yo is starting to see her selfish nature. It's also possible that before he becomes king his mother might do something to anger him making him lose all respect or love for her. This would be perfect because when Wang Yo would become king he certainly wouldn't need his mother and judging from his character he isn't the kind to leave loose ends. These sorts of political affairs would be nice to see but I'm not sure how many episodes are going to be dedicated to Wang Yo's reign. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Akiddo said:

And on the love story of Soo and So - there must be a scene in ep 13 or 14 to push Soo to face her feelings squarely in the face. That has to do with him being hurt or at the brink of death. Recently, LJG posted a photo of him lying down - possibly injured - with IU in the background right? There has to be a "bridging" scene somewhere down the line to turn her into So's person. 

Let's see how the story move this week. The wait will be over in less than 12 hours. Roll call soon!! :) 

Its possible that WS might get stabbed in the battle with WW, maybe his eye caught hae soo watching the fight or something and it distracted him. Maybe when he gets hurt in battle she will realize how she feels. Or maybe when she watched  them fight she realize she's more worried about WS than WW. 

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, wordsmyth0253 said:

Pre-release Clip! http://program.sbs.co.kr/builder/endPage.do?pgm_id=22000009610&pgm_mnu_id=44104&pgm_build_id=17623&contNo=22000199448

(on-the-fly-trans)

WS: Su-ya. Let's...marry.

HS: Pardon?

WS: If we marry, you can leave this gyo-bang (place for imperial perfomers where she's now employed as a musuri) and leave the palace. [Let's] do that. 

HS: I can't do that. 

WS: (returning hairpin to her) Let's go together. You're my person, aren't you?

HS: No. I can't marry you [in order] to leave the palace. (turns and sees WW and runs off)

WS: Su-ya!

WW: A prince and a musuri marry..? Don't (use/persuade?) Su under such (false pretenses?)

WS: If I say marriage, it's a marriage.

WW: That child becoming unhappy/unfortunate...is all because of you. Getting caught up in the fight between Empress Yoo and you, she unfairly fell to this place (referring to her drop in rank). You were the start. And even so/that being the case, now you're proposing marriage? I can't forgive you.

WS: You're one to talk. I gave you everything you needed to reveal (proove) HS's innocence, but in the end you weren't able to do it, were you? Your incompetence makes my blood boil. 

WW: You!!!!

Thank you I'm about to ask someone to translate it. I understand it, but the last remark from So to Wook, I couldn't. Now I get it. Can't wait for tomorrow, the full ep with eng sub.

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, Bambiina said:

I relate his inaction to his obligation he has to his family/clan ... he is very calculative with his actions ... I mean he consider a lot of thing before taking action .. it is all because of his responsibility .. :D that is why I can never be disappointed with him

I always though his as a responsible person .. may be he is not the right man for HS 

But I can never hate him

I hate his sister though

Chingu yah, my main issue with WW is his dishonesty. Who can blame anyone from choosing their  family. We all know how important our family is and the pressure of protecting and helping them. He appear more frighten of his own father and covet the throne too. But I don't think or don't know if I would protect a family member for attempted murder. Now he knows his owns sister is willing to kill their brother. Having such a family member, can she be trusted or "CAN SHE EVER STAB WW IN THE BACK LIKE SHE DID TO HEE OTHER BROTHER TO STOP HIM FROM MARRYING HAE SOO). Another reasons why I am disgusted by because i don't know how she really feels for her brother. WW makes promises he can never fullfill because of fear. He could still have comforted her in the rain but chose not to. Even if he did he would not have truly been punished because BaeK ah, WJung and the CP were there too. It would be best to try before telling your loved one of what you are attempting to do.  Meanwhile WS saved her life so many times  and she has no idea of those other times. He found a way to prevent her from marrying the King, He drank poison for her, he saved her from those gang, he protected her when he thought she was going to be hanged.  Yes WS does go all the way but it's only because all he has is Hae Soo and BaeK Ah. 

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, wordsmyth0253 said:

Pre-release Clip! http://program.sbs.co.kr/builder/endPage.do?pgm_id=22000009610&pgm_mnu_id=44104&pgm_build_id=17623&contNo=22000199448

(on-the-fly-trans)

WS: Su-ya. Let's...marry.

HS: Pardon?

WS: If we marry, you can leave this gyo-bang (place for imperial perfomers where she's now employed as a musuri) and leave the palace. [Let's] do that. 

HS: I can't do that. 

WS: (returning hairpin to her) Let's go together. You're my person, aren't you?

HS: No. I can't marry you [in order] to leave the palace. (turns and sees WW and runs off)

WS: Su-ya!

WW: A prince and a musuri marry..? Don't (use/persuade?) Su under such (false pretenses?)

WS: If I say marriage, it's a marriage.

WW: That child becoming unhappy/unfortunate...is all because of you. Getting caught up in the fight between Empress Yoo and you, she unfairly fell to this place (referring to her drop in rank). You were the start. And even so/that being the case, now you're proposing marriage? I can't forgive you.

WS: You're one to talk. I gave you everything you needed to reveal (proove) HS's innocence, but in the end you weren't able to do it, were you? Your incompetence makes my blood boil. 

WW: You!!!!

Wahhh!  Thanks so much for the translation!  OMG... the testosterone is just oozing between these two, isn't it?!   Man, if I were Soo, I would have hung around and watch them duke it out. LOL ;) 

I can tell Wook is really frazzled here after listening to WS propose to HS.  He already knows that WS has the guts to whisk her away from the palace.... something he admitted he wanted to do for the longest time, yet WS did it in a heartbeat.  WW KNOWS that if WS puts his mind to it, he'll find away to marry HS.  I'm really looking forward to WW's transition.  I hope it comes sooner than later. heheh...

Oh yeah... and one last comment about HS finally meeting Woo Hee.  I really hope they can become friends because maybe WH will get HS more involved with the political stuff.  Right now, HS is really oblivious with the scheming that goes around the palace, but maybe with a friend to plot with, she'll have more inside information and prevent things from happening to her.

• Like 21

I know HaeSoo needs time for her to be mentally and emotionally stabilised.But I hope she realizes that she actually loves WangSo soon.I hope it doesn't come to the point where YeonHwa is about to marry WangSo before she realizes that she loves him...it might just complicate things further.

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, SizzlerZ said:

In the C-version does anyone other than the 13th prince find out she's from the future? Does the 4th prince find out?

As far as I remember, the 13th prince and the 4th prince are the only ones who know. The 4th prince didn't find out himself but Ruoxi told him instead. He didn't believe it completely at first, however after Ruoxi died, the 13th prince reminded him that Ruoxi once said she was transported to their era from the future and that's when he decided to believe it, hoping that they could meet again someday. He even made that classic statement "If you can't come to my world, then I will go to your world and find you", which lays the foundation for a sequel that came out later.

• Like 15