[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

3 minutes ago, Evelyn C said:

Hi @fuyukoneko! It may have seemed odd in that episode because all we knew at that time was that Wang So was supposedly a cruel prince who slaughtered wolves and people who saw his scar, but now in retrospect we see that he's the kind of person who wouldn't let an innocent person be killed by possibly breaking her neck falling while trying to get away from his charging horse... :) It just so happened said innocent person was our pretty Soo! 

That make sense. Thanks for providing an explanation for his behavior!

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, fuyukoneko said:

Did anyone else find it incongruous that a guy who has a complex about his scar would literally pick up a pretty girl off the streets? I get that the writer is recreating a scene from the novel, but it seemed kind out of character to me. 

I think he picked her off the streets because he didn't want her to fall into the river. People were making ways for him when he got through with his horse, but Hae Soo didn't, hence he swoop her in his arms. Although he threw her off seconds later, hahaha...but for me, I think it's still better than getting wet in the river. About the scar, he was still wearing his mask if I'm not mistaken? I think he didn't thought about the possibilities of her seeing his scar if his mask fell down or something, but it happened so fast though, hehehe...

• Like 22

Have another question. The first time I watched Moon Lovers, I thought all those moments where the princes were talking about how terrifying and ruthless So is, it was the writer’s way of telling So’s personality to the audience without spending time showing it. But, this seemed somewhat inconsistent from the way he interacts with his mom and Soo.  

So, as the audience, are we suppose to think So is a ruthless killer, and his behavior towards his mom and Soo is an exception. Or, should we believe that he’s misunderstood and those rumors are false?

• Like 9

4 hours ago, ladyfriday said:

I'll just interrupt regular programming for a hot minute to share a little Soo-centric post-11 speculative fic I wrote. If y'all have fic reqs that you want me to maybe write, don't hesitate to drop em off here

young enough to try (to build a better life)

The princes come to visit often in the early days. They stand along the road in pairs, pained looks on their polished, always-handsome faces. But the care in their eyes is a reminder of what she’s lost, and when she’s pushed into the water, sputtering as it goes up her nose, its bitter, soapy taste coating the inside of her mouth, Soo wishes they’d leave.

No one talks about the aftermath of war.

[read here]

Bravo!

This story is awesome. It would be great if this is how it would be. The transition of events, scenarios and thoughts of HS were amazing.

Hopefully this is how HS would think in the coming episodes.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, fuyukoneko said:

Have another question. The first time I watched Moon Lovers, I thought all those moments where the princes were talking about how terrifying and ruthless So is, it was the writer’s way of telling So’s personality to the audience without spending time showing it. But, this seemed somewhat inconsistent from the way he interacts with his mom and Soo.  

So, as the audience, are we suppose to think So is ruthless killer, and his behavior towards his mom and Soo is an exception. Or, should we believe that he’s misunderstood and those rumors are false?

Like Soo said, he did a lot of those things to survive - The members of the clan he was sent as a hostage to essentially sent him to a mountain with wolves in the hope that he would be killed - He ended up killing the wolves instead, hence the stories of how vicious he was. His acts of violence were always in defense of his life, or someone he cared about - like killing those monks to protect his mother. Our poor Wang So is just misunderstood! :( He most of the time had no choice in the matter, and even when he did kill people, it was only Soo who bothered to ask him why he felt he needed to that, and understood even without him speaking that he did it to live - or unbeknownst to her try to appease his mother, Lady Stoneheart. :P

• Like 19

1 minute ago, fuyukoneko said:

That make sense. Thanks for providing an explanation for his behavior!

also notice when wang so was forcing soo to remember what she saw that night in the forest. the moment so realize soo actually saw 3rd prince "the man in the fur" gave the order to kill the assassins, first thing that came out of his mouth was to warn soo never to tell anyone else what she saw. because that would mean she would be the target for 3rd prince.

sure so's facade was the dogwolf prince that he let people believe him to be. acting tough and scary was how he survived till that day. remember when he rode with his horse to safe soo, wook and 14th prince. he didn't need to fight for one bit, those people ran away just by his presence.

but, his first instinct was to warn soo to keep her mouth shut of the fact she could implicate 3rd prince in the murder plot. he's soft and caring inside, he doesnt kill people for fun. soo just didn't realize it then.

tomorrow is monday!!!

• Like 22

@fuyukoneko I am not a fervent ML viewer so can't pinpoint the exact moment. I am presuming you didn't fast forward the episodes. The Princes' and public perception was clarified by WS when he talkedtalked to HS about why he killed the wolves. His character has been very consistent. He seeks approval from those he loves. And he is aware of being used as a political pawn by his mother. And how his adoptive relatives left him alone in the wild to die. But he survived. He is a survivor. Not even very good with politics. Plus he is loyal.

It sounds as if I am a WS fan which I am not. I just happen to think taken individually the princes are consistent. It is Hae Soo who is flip flopping all over the place. She doesn't behave like a modern woman  Yet at the same time for someone who had a boyfriend- wonder why she is so naive in dealing with royals. Maybe she is one of those Koreans who don't watch tv or sageuks. Cos' history foreknowledge  and sageuk tv experience or not- she behaves neither like an adult, a modern woman or submissive and docile historical female stereotype.

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, fuyukoneko said:

So, as the audience, are we suppose to think So is a ruthless killer, and his behavior towards his mom and Soo is an exception. Or, should we believe that he’s misunderstood and those rumors are false?

those are just that. rumors that flying around about him. that's how he was perceived in general.

drama then slowly revealed the real him. how soo see pass through the rumors and care for the real man behind the mask.

baek ah was scared of him too at first, but then he became the one true brother to so. 

jun slowly gets too see who was the bad brother, that it wasn't so, but yo and how cruel his mother can be, eventho she dotted on him.

• Like 11

Just wondering... anyone have any idea why baek ah seems to love wang so so much? he doesn't seem close to any of his brothers at all but he tails wang so and cares about him so so much. I don't think he ever met wang so before the second ep so just curious as to what made him feel like that, any ideas??

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, glacial said:

Just wondering... anyone have any idea why baek ah seems to love wang so so much? he doesn't seem close to any of his brothers at all but he tails wang so and cares about him so so much. I don't think he ever met wang so before the second ep so just curious as to what made him feel like that, any ideas??

Hi @glacial I think it's because Baek Ah too is also an outcast - perhaps not to the same level as Wang So is, but he has also been a target of rude and hateful comments from Wang Yo because of his grandfather and mother's status (They were Silla nobles who have now become dependent on Taejo for everything). I feel like Baek Ah can identify with So, and at the same time doesn't place too much stock in power or rank (see how he freely associates with the children outside the palace and Woo Hee) or people's preconceived ideas.

• Like 20

19 minutes ago, glacial said:

it was so who defended baek ah when yo was looking down on baek ah family. yo at one time even looked down upon CP family by marriage. so said, they are all under the mercy of the king. everyone pretty much in the same position. he then ask baek ah to go get a drink.

it was in the scene that was cut from the international version. i think it was after lady hae's death?

• Like 13

By the way, we are trying to identify the flower on my blog right now - the Minwhee website only ambiguously describes it as  a "FLOWER HAIRPIN" made of mother-of-pearls, but no further details are given.

:heart:  WS's Heart - Flower Hairpin Revelation :heart:

ml4.jpg

@briseis You might have already gotten the answer and fans from Korea might be able to answer more accurately what it is called in Korean and exactly what type. In the beginning, I thought K-version won't be varied from significant love symbol of WS-Soo as they still use jade bracelet (though in different style) for WW and I didn't pay attention to the hairpin thinking it is going to be Magnolia like in novel. I just saw the bigger better picture of the hairpin from your post and got totally WRONG but I knew what it is right away and I have all these ideas flashing in my head!!! Though I decided not to post anything long till next weekend but so tempted.  No willpower to ignore MLSHR :w00t::w00t::w00t: Hopefully, a shortie....

ba72cd75-c6ab-4b81-a410-dfd4df58b0cd.jpg

double attempted spoilers and quizzes :D

Spoiler

Since I have seen those flowers made with various materials (plastic, concrete to gold) many times in my life in various places around me even now as our home candle lights on shrine, it is even used as first word of my user ID :P:P:P (didn't realize this relation would happen when I created my ID) ,of course, it is the name of the flower in my first language! :D Also, it is my real first name in life dan...dan...dan....dan...

Guys, we need to remember this is in Goryeo not in Qing Dynasty (QD)!!! So, it is NOT Magnolia. However, this flower was also emphasized in a couple of scenes in Cv too as it is considered important flower in many Asia, SE Asian, South Asian countries...

- what is the main theme of this drama??? => Eclipse...it only happens when Moon aligns together with earth and cover Sun to make everything dark (actually, Moon's shadow crosses the Earth's surface ). In a way, it is basically same as "twilight" in broad daylight (though not long) 

This is the time of the day this flower blooms 

- which leads to second theme in WS-HS relationship => night time (most of their intense and beginning interactions always happen at night, exception of first encounter with horse riding and make-up scene). Even WS hugging HS and catching raindrops scene (water mineral ad :P as some posted) after ritual was also shot at late evening...

This is the time of the day this flower blooms

- Another main theme in the drama as people mentioned before though I haven't read all the posts => water (HS came from water, princes wash in water before rituals, rainwater coming along with WS change, scenes by the ponds and lakes and HS becoming water maid, etc)

This is where this flower grows and essential for its growth

- next theme/ aspect of new kingdom aside from new king => religion. Which religion did Taejo promote after he became king. What did WY and WS spend money on during their reign as well as later Kings of Goryeo. In addition the drama has buddhist related details of sinful monks were cut out tongues and raised as assassins and the temple where they live is known as some level of hell as we buddhist believe in many level of hells. (It is hard to type in Parli as I learned them from hearing and don't know how to spell). 

this flower is symbol of this religion

- Another important theme/ diversion from Cv is HS and WS => status and personality. Please forgive me if someone already analyzed about their statuses before! Also, I'm not sure this aspect of flower can be many themes or even have same ideology for East Asia and other Asian countries except for my own as I don't know and never asked my friends from other Asian countries (no time to research this week either).

Though Hae Soo came from supposedly big clan, her clan is not that rich or very powerful and they were not related to King directly yet  (that's why they try to marry HS to the king). HS is an orphan and not much status in the clan either. [English subtititles kept mentioning she is 6th cousin of Lady Hae but in Chinese subtitles it said first cousin (daughter of father's brother) and I'm not really sure their exact closeness in family tree.] Anyhow, HS is in Lady Hae and WW's grace and her status is not HIGH by all mean compared to Ruoxi who is big general's daughter and her own sister is second wife of 8th prince. It is totally different status from C and K versions. 4th in Cv is refined, cultured, educated Qing Wangye, first rank highest position for royal sons and brothers that come with own fiefs, (no fifes in QD).  Kang Xi's first born son was not qingwang but only jungwang (2nd rank). Only 3rd, 4th and 5th are sons of Kang Xi who attained qingwang status in 1709. 8th was just beile throughout Kangxi reign (except he get demoted at some point by Kangxi). WS is outcast in his family though he is a prince. 

This one I can't Quiz you as I don't know what you guys know :D 

This one is a bit complicated and combined three points which you can apply to WS-HS status and might add more later (1) this flower grows in water but needs a bit of mud (ponds and lakes have soil which became mud as ponds are holes in the ground, right?) which at least in my culture is considered pure, fundamental and earthly. Since it grows in mud water, people especially Buddhists regard it as very clean and pure flower (2) unlike others, this flower can survive and grow many by themselves without needing extra nutrients or care (unless you want specific color. In my homeland, it is every where in villages and small towns where there are ponds and lakes) meaning its quality is within, can survive harsh conditions by itself and grow magnificiantly above water.  It is very symbolic to lives of WS and HS where they had to survive by all means but still didn't give up (HS even try to cheerfully though she is in unknown world. (3) the value of this flower is very CHEAP [Although the hairpin itself might be expensive if it is made with real mother of pearl, gold and jade (for leaves) ] compared to orchids and tiger lady flowers (which are very expensive as they bloom only in winter three months and could only be found at Rakine Mountain Ranges) unless you try to buy them at big cities. If you go to small towns and villages, you can even get them by yourself if you aren't afraid of getting wet and dirty. Both WS and HS lives were considered "cheap" in Queen Yo and many princes' views but they are true to themselves and valuable assets to others (WS for CP and King and HS for all the princes).

answer time....What is my name and where I am from? ^_^

Spoiler

It all points out to "LOTUS" and Lotus subspecies like "night blooming waterlilies" as they grow beautifully at night...and I'm a night owl :D

Lotus.jpgtumblr_obmlgqQoSt1rlzlwyo6_1280.jpg

bloom-water-lilies.jpg

I'm not sure about the berries (fruit bunches) next to LOTUS in the hairpin have any other meanings though.... I don't think that the flowers HS dropped in preview are the same type of flowers as I saw color yellow and many flowers on the same bunch.

I can also point out a lot of other stories, symbolisms and religion related stuff but did not mention them here as not important as above mentioned. Also, I have not found out is there anything related to solar eclipses and the flower itself except the time being dark.

I also know that my jokes are very very DRY though I was supposed to grow in mud water :P:P:P 

With Love,

~Kyar~

Edited by kyar7jizhenll
to add links, correct grammar, info
  • Like 18

51 minutes ago, shiraru said:

I think he picked her off the streets because he didn't want her to fall into the river. People were making ways for him when he got through with his horse, but Hae Soo didn't, hence he swoop her in his arms. Although he threw her off seconds later, hahaha...but for me, I think it's still better than getting wet in the river. About the scar, he was still wearing his mask if I'm not mistaken? I think he didn't thought about the possibilities of her seeing his scar if his mask fell down or something, but it happened so fast though, hehehe...

I meant that if someone grew up being called hideous like WS, then I would expect him to feel shy or avoid being physically close to the gender he's attracted to. But on second thought, that’s probably learned behavior. And most of WS social interaction would have been with the general and his foster mom, so he would have never learned to be shy around girls.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Evelyn C said:

Hi @glacial I think it's because Baek Ah too is also an outcast - perhaps not to the same level as Wang So is, but he has also been a target of rude and hateful comments from Wang Yo because of his grandfather and mother's status (They were Silla nobles who have now become dependent on Taejo for everything). I feel like Baek Ah can identify with So, and at the same time doesn't place too much stock in power or rank (see how he freely associates with the children outside the palace and Woo Hee) or people's preconceived ideas.

Yeah I agree with you there @Evelyn C. I remember a scene when the princes had gathered at Wook's house (I think), Wang Yo was insulting Baek Ah in front of all the princes about his background and Wang So stood up for Baek Ah. This scene marked a clear turning point in their relationship and I think the reason for Wang So doing this and Baek Ah accepting his help is quite clearly explained in your post. :) Hope this helps @glacial .

• Like 12