[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

14 hours ago, kyar7jizhenll said:

@hallyus I do agree with you the fact that Taejo was neither a good husband nor father and he said so himself to CP, saying that only CP was his son who stayed back to back with him at the battle fields.  He got married during mourning period of her eldest son's death and QY needed his comfort.  However, we need to reason like people from Goryeo era not from 21st centuries.  QY reacted the same when King tried to marry Hae Soo when she was already a grandmother (WY already married with kids) while other queens and concubines did not protest (do not remember, it was in international version or SBS version).  I think from the way the writer portrayed her, even if her eldest son did not die, she would still protest Taejo's marriage but probably may or may not to the extent of harming WS, depending on how close Taejo was to WS.  If she just  wanted him to wait till mourning period was over, she never needed to harm WS to get King's attention even if WS was his favorite son at that time. A mother, who was in mourning of a child, won't harm another of her child no matter how desperate situation was unless she was overshadowed by possessiveness/ jealousy towards her significant others. There are many stories where women makes their children sick so that their husbands won't leave them or to get their husbands' attention.  

I'm saying this from point of view of a woman from Goryeo.  Since this story did NOT exist in actual history, I'm analyzing her from her behavior.  Although both came from powerful clans, QY acted more proudful than WW's mom (queen Hwangbo) and it shows her strong and spoiled personality.  May be because her father was famous general under Gung Ye, founder of Taebong whom Taejo was working for, she was the first wife with real status and powerful military clan whom he married after he became prime minister of Taebong and she was the only wife until he became King in 1918 after Gung Ye was killed. CP's mom was supposedly lowly-born, her father was just local magistrate and she seemed to die early.  Although she was a Queen and a woman from Goryeo, she acted like only she deserved to be with Taejo.  I'll write about Taejo's predicament in next post (next weekend) but he was definitely a good and wise king sacrificing his body for his country (line from this internet novel translation: https://plainlybored.wordpress.com/about/) which is just founded from turmoil and very unstable (Silla, Later Bakjie and Taebong were very recent proofs) without needing more blood shed. We need to remember Taejo's reign is different from WS's Gawanjon's reign! The country is just founded and it is only a third of former Silla and two other mini-kingdoms and threat of Jurchen from the north existed.

Anyhow, having 29-30 consorts and not mourning of a child by the king are not new to me being raised in culture with kings with many wives and many children.  You know some kings in southeast Asian and China has 50 consorts or more. Even Rama V who ruled till 1910 had 116 total queens, consorts and concubines and 33 sons/ 44 daughters that I won't blame him if he did NOT know one of his consorts or children died (especially a daughter) if they weren't favored until a few days or sometime later.  If he planned a trip or certain ceremony during their death, I'm pretty sure he would still continue with it. 

Just pointing out the fact that Queen Yoo was overcame by her greed for Taejo's love that she forgot about the Queen's judy as mother of the kingdom, meaning she even needed to raise his children if their mother died young...

@kyar7jizhenll I am anticipating your next post..

• Like 11

17 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

For me, it was clear that the writer intented to use Wang Wook's good looks and manners to create an illusion. I never thought that the romance between Hae Soo and Wang Wook took too long because at the same time we could see Hae Soo and Wang So becoming closer in each episode. Striking is that each scene between Wang So and Hae Soo corresponded to a scene between Wang Wook and Hae Soo. They were each time similar but revealed the difference in the nature of their relationship. For example, Wang So's hug in the episode 9 is full of joy and happiness, although Hae Soo doesn't come to appreciate it. The way they hug Hae Soo is totally different. Wang Wook is hugging her first halfhearted as he only uses one arm. Only after declaring his love, he hugges her entirely. Yet, his eyes are full of tears. He has jus promised her again to walk in the snow again too, another one he will break. On the other hand, Wang So's hug is the total opposite. He is so quick that Hae Soo is already in his arms before she protests. He is smiling and happy, unaware that she is feeling the total opposite. So the hug with Wang Wook is a way to make sure that she keeps loving him, while Wang So wants to express his happiness and his gratitude for her action. Interesting is that when Wang Wook was in the cavern with her and proposed to her, he noticed Hae Soo's hesitation. Therefore he added by asking if she had any doubts about him. His question illustrates that he is well aware that anyone would have started doubting him after the number of promises he couldn't keep. 

As conclusion, the writer's work is very good as the scenes are always used to draw parallels between wang Wook and Wang So so that people will realise the difference in their personality and behaviour!!  

Now, I would like to comment on the expression "toxic" you used. For many days the topic poison had been on my mind, but I wanted to write about it later. Yet, your comment pushed me to do it now. In this drama, poison appears so often and in different kind of forms. We have the poisoned tea that Hae Soo served to Wang So and the one that lady Oh drank so that she had miscarriage. Both are represented by a liquid poison. Yet, poison appears in form of words, like lies, rumours or poisonous influence too. Third the palace itself like you mentioned it, can be considered as a poison, where people start suffering from that toxic place. Lady Oh suffers from cancer, Wang Mu has skin disease and Hwangbo suffers from migraine. all of them are victims of the toxic environnement. The palace kills people slowly, little by little. We all know that exposed daily with little dosis of poison can be dangerous and fatal. Finally, poison is also represented in symbols like sun or rain. 

Striking is that poison appears in the first episode for the first time. Wang Mu's breakfast had been poisoned so that a bird died. Its first appearance so early underlines the importance of the existence of poison in Goryeo's world. Then Wang Wook mentions it in the episode 7 related to a plant: 

Reveal hidden contents

Amur Adonis plant.pngDescription Amur Adonis plant.png

. As we can see, this plant can either heal or kill. I did some research and found out that this plant is used for the heart. In order to become a poison, the quantity is the determinator. Too much of it can kill. The mentioning of this plant is interesting for many reasons:

1) It reminds us that the palace is a dangerous place because we can't help connecting it to the event in the episode 1, where Wang Mu's breakfast had been poisoned. 

2) Since the plant is connected to heart, it can be related to love and its negative impact. This could be considered as a clue for the future betrayal: Hae Soo will be devastated and heartbroken that Wang Wook abandoned her. This will definitely weaken her health too. 

3) Hae Soo hears for the first time about poison, unaware that she will become a victim of a poisoning. She doesn't realise the importance of poison in Goryeo.

Secondly, poison is connected with words. It is also used in the beginning. People are fearing Wang So due to rumours: he killed so many people in Shinju. This kind of rumours are the reason why Wang So is isolated and seen as a wolf dog. Many stories have been told about him, reality disformed so that Wang So has to live as an outcast. Even his own brothers don't know what is true and wrong. The result is that Wang So's isolation makes him suffer. He would like to get loved by his family, yet it is not possible. After Hae Soo met him, his relationship with his brothers change because since Hae Soo symbolises water, she can tamper the effect of the "poisonous" rumors. Baek Ah starts seeing Wang So's true personality. It is as if Hae Soo was diluating the poison as she represents water. But rumours are different from lies. Lies can be as dangerous as poison. One of the best examples is when Wang Won visit his brother Wang Mu in order to make him believe that Wang So knew about the corruption in Mu's family. Wang Won didn't lie just once, but the entire conversation only consisted of lies.

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 10 Wang Won lies 1.pngEpisode 10 Wang Won lies 2.png

The effect is immediate and effective like poison: Wang Mu's trust in Wang So is shaken. He starts doubting his brother who had once put his life for him. Then another kind of poison are words as such. They are distinctive from rumors and lies because the two latter are more based on fiction. Lies don't correspond to reality, rumours represent a mixture of reality and fiction and words can be a reflection of reality. I could use Yoo for example who is using her son to become the Queen Dowager. She is not lying to Yo as she doesn't need to do it. She really thinks that her son deserves to be King and Yo has internalised her way of thinking. Her obedient son is expecting from her love and devotion if he executes her orders. Yo believes every words she says. So she has a huge influence on him therefore he looks down on all the other princes. His mother's words and influence have such a negative impact that he is arrogant, cruel and coldhearted like his mother. As we can observe, words can be poisonous so that they affect relationships. The best scene where the viewers witness the poisonous effect of words is when Yeon Hwa is with her brother. We have two scenes for that. The first scene is when she meets her brother after the rain ritual. 

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 9 Yeon Hwa Wang Wook poison 1.pngEpisode 9 Yeon Hwa Wang Wook poison 2.pngEpisode 9 Yeon Hwa Wang Wook poison 3.png

She is reminding him that the seat should have been his. Wang Wook is not looking at her, but her words have such an impact on him. First he refuses to listen to her, but her poisonous thoughts are effective because we see his struggling since he is convincing himself that he shouldn't be greedy. He knows that this is not right. In the end, he succumbs to the temptation as he is asking himself where he should stand. 

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 9 wang Wook 1.pngEpisode 9 Wang Wook 2.pngEpisode 9 Wang wook 3.png

Yeon Hwa's words and influence have worked like a poison, He gives in to his greed and ambition. Actually, Yeon Hwa's actions and words remind me a lot of a snake and the Bible story of Adam and the snake. The best scene where we can associate her to the poisonous snake is when her secret is discovered. When she is caught, she almost immediately talks Wang Wook into not giving up the throne. She tries to convince him that he always wanted to become the king. She is like the real devil as if she had seen his inner thoughts and desire and this is not a coincidence.

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 1.pngEpisode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 2.pngEpisode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 3.pngEpisode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 4.pngEpisode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 5.pngEpisode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 6.pngEpisode 11 Yeon Hwa and Wang Wook 7.png

Now, we might wonder if Wang Wook's ambition and greed is the result of Yeon Hwa's influence. This makes ask ourselves if he has not been brainwashed by his sister, getting poisoned listening to her words that this seat should belong to him, just like Yo has been influenced by his own mother. In one of my earlier comments, I had written that Yeon Hwa was the Yoo in the making and here again, we see that both are working in a similar way. Using people's feelings in order to get what they want. In fact, it is Hyeon Hwa who is ambitious and greedy, but she is using her own brother to achieve her goal. Moreover, she would like to shine like a sun, exactly like Queen Yoo.

And we all know that sun can be dangerous as well. Too much sun can kill. And this is also represented by Wang So and Hae Soo. The latter will love Wang So so deeply that being close to him will make her suffer and weaken her health. At some point, Wang So will realise it therefore he will allow her to leave him. That's why I also noticed a difference between the episode 8 and 9. In the episode 8, Wang So was sure, he would never let her go, but in the episode 9, his determination is less stronger due to the afflicted pain. This time, he doesn't say, he will never let her, but  So the possibility that he let her go is now a little higher.

Finally, the rain as poison can be observed when Hae Soo is begging for lady Oh's life. Hae Soo is already so weak, rain is making her even sicker. This explains why Hae Soo will be physically weaker in the future.

I am not sure if people will read all of this because this post is so long. writer pink mouseIf so, I hope, you enjoyed it.  cute-rabbit-emoticon-02.gif?1301940529

@chi13lou

@UnniSarah @solelylurking

@fathiayunia @dramu51ch0c10ve 

@syeramy @littleloony @Yongzura @valsava  @junee22 @evie7

Annyeong Chingu's 

@bebebisous33 I loved your post Chingu ans bravo on how the palace is toxic/poisonous. Living in that palace has hurt everyone in one form or another. You would think since WSo wasn't raised there but he still had to suffer some hardships because of who he is and because of the scar in his face. The difference between WS and WW is light and dark , the irony is that their roles will be changing soon too now WW /dark and WS /light. Now that their role will change but we can also expect to see that some ode WS's darkness will appear once he feel threatened or someone close to him is in danger.   All i can hope for is that when it does appear Hae Soo doesn't run away. I think she has done enough running away from our Wang So. But if it does happen and I want the writer to make So believable that I agree with Hae Soo's decision but then again it is Hae Soo's light and optimistic ways that made these princes care for her. 

Thank again for a wonderful post and to all my other chingu's in the thread. So glad to see a lot of newbies joining the conversation.

:heart::heart:

• Like 18

@jerboa83 that was a wonderful So soo vid on page 833. Thanks! Must be done by an vidro expert who could mix different audio n video vignettes together.

Wook n So as mum n dad of Baek ah? Lol. i guess becos Baek ah really looks like a boy.

Its sunday morning on my end already! Monday is not far away!

• Like 16

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I too don't want her to die without Wang So by her side and so they both can have closure in the end  @kilovekyo. They both deserve closure because oh how much they love each other. Hae Soo will miserable without him if she leaves him. smh smh  

Nicely said chingu @Adnana  I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the symbolism of WS scar and in truth all the princes have a daily routine and none of them would ever leave their room untidy. IN this era Look are always important to them and the public. 

@UnniSarah I agree. If Haesoo is meant to die in Goryeo, I don't want it to happen without Wangso by her side. We've already seen what lengths he will go for her...and I'm willing to bet once Haesoo realizes she loves him, that she will be the same exact way. I truly think it would crush the both of them if they couldn't be with each other to the end.

I doubt very much that the writer would make our OTP's ending similar to that of BBJX, BUT...if it does come to pass, imagine just how devastated our Wangso will be. 4th in BBJX was inconsolable. Wangso would be that times 10. :(

• Like 19

@briseis you always have the most poetic description of our couple.

what i love the most from the rain scene was when soo straighten up her body after seeing wook turned away and noticing so covering her from the rain.

So didn't try to ask her to stop like baek ah did. He allows her to do her thing, he allows her to be her. Not to run away from what she decided to do. what ever she decide to do, he will be there for her.

Knowing all that, that he will be there for her (litterally) gave her strength. That's why she managed to sit up. She was physically and mentally at the lowest limit. 2 days kneeling after all that torture, seeing wook turning away after not showing up at her almost hanging. he gave her a boost of power. 

Soo gave him that boost of power by looking past his scar. her make up gave him so much more than just covering his scar. How she worry for him. 

So could've helped her sit up, but he didn't. He didn't sit and beg along side her like 13th and 14th. He just stood there, protecting her from the rain. ready to defy anyone, including the king. 

What a great moment. :wub:

• Like 20

10 hours ago, ahinoppa said:

I was never into Lee Jun Ki but his visuals are really unique especially in the pictures in these posts

http://whatsupweibo.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/fans-concerned-over-lee-jun-kis-recent.html

http://whatsupweibo.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/lee-junki-moon-lovers.html

Woah 15kg...that's pretty amazing

• Like 9