[Philippine Drama 2015 - 2016] On the Wings of Love

xiashenghan

MIL & SIL will get along well i see :)

Clark was good trying to convince his friend he's going coz of furniture not for Leah yeah right like we believe you Clarky boy ;)

I'm a bit disappointed..they shouldn't show 2 weeks preview...it would be easier for me to watch...now i just can't wait for them to meet :(

• Like 2

So excited, the shows setting everything up and Clarkie boy should be back in the Philippines by tonight's episode. I'm not expecting them to meet until next week but who knows what could happen, this show enjoys surprising us lol. It's so awkward though seeing Tita Jack & Clark together now, the vibe ain't the same anymore. OMG ! That imagination sequence that the guy had of Leah in the States cracked me up so much, especially this part :

BTS pic -

Request : Could someone translate the OTWOL related material from this interview of Direk Jojo : http://www.pep.ph/guide/tv/20872/otwol-director-bata-kasi-ang-kathniel-samantalang-sina-james-reid-at-nadine-lustre-kasi-puwedeng-maghalikan-na

Edited by KDIK

Guest bewitch05

@zagigirl That was right! I was so looking forward for the scenes that they show in the preview, but seems like it would take longer than we all expect! Two weeks preview........Oh come on! That was kind of tricky and somewhat disappointing. But still I am watching with no skip :lol:;)

Hope to see it as soon as possible :) 

So excited, the shows setting everything up and Clarkie boy should be back in the Philippines by tonight's episode. I'm not expecting them to meet until next week but who knows what could happen, this show enjoys surprising us lol. It's so awkward though seeing Tita Jack & Clark together now, the vibe ain't the same anymore. OMG ! That imagination sequence that the guy had of Leah in the States cracked me up so much, especially this part :

BTS pic -

Request : Could someone translate the OTWOL related material from this interview of Direk Jojo : http://www.pep.ph/guide/tv/20872/otwol-director-bata-kasi-ang-kathniel-samantalang-sina-james-reid-at-nadine-lustre-kasi-puwedeng-maghalikan-na

Re: The Kathniel love team is still young, on the contrary james reid and nadine lustre are on the right age, they could kiss.

It's the closer that I can conjure from it. Sorry if this is not good enough.

Hello @KDIK and of course, this goes out to the rest of our non-Filipino-speaking friends here.

I don't have enough time to translate the entire article, but I can go with transcripts and summaries of the paragraphs (translating only OTWOL related stuff). From this interview http://www.pep.ph/guide/tv/20872/otwol-director-bata-kasi-ang-kathniel-samantalang-sina-james-reid-at-nadine-lustre-kasi-puwedeng-maghalikan-na

Director reveals secret behind On the Wings of Love's success

Basically an interview with Director Jojo Saguin, who shares directing credits with Antoinette Jadaone. He believes the secret is in the story (of OTWOL). 

He said, "I think, aside from the giddy feelings that James and Nadine give fans, I can say it's really the story. Because the story of the OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker) made a mark in people. The way they work hard in another country just to give a good life to their families; they sacrifice everything just so they could send back whatever to their families."

"Like you saw that there was an issue about the balikbayan box (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/balikbayan-box?q=balikbayan+box - recently had a controversy with Philippines' Customs Offices) and Cherry Pie (who plays Tita Jack) about being an OFW, that Leah has the heart of an OFW."

"And it's imperative in every episode, we have to have at least two scenes to excite fans." ("Excite" is mild - the word he used is kilig - there's no direct translation, but it's the giddy-happy-butterflies-in-the-stomach-excited-tingly feeling we get when we fall in love.)

Direk Jojo admitted that they did not expect that the fan reception to the TV series would be this strong. He said that he knew JaDine [James and Nadine] has a fan base, "but it's also different...because it's not just the youth who patronize it. Even mature audiences, like teachers, they appreciate the show."

Some related points from the rest of the interview

- OTWOL was conceptualized just for JaDine, which is their first full-length series for the network

- Direk Jojo thinks it wouldn't have been as warmly received if JaDine weren't playing the lead characters. According to him, they have a different vibe, and that they are of age to kiss (I suppose he means to kiss properly onscreen. The Philippines is still relatively conservative about underage kissing and such.) 

- They are reported to be extended until January, but he doesn't know for sure. 

- On Albie and Jigs - They tease Albie that he might be in trouble when he goes out because of all the annoyance people have for Jigs coming between Leah and Clark. "But Jigs has a lot of deep-seated hurt. His mother left him, and he grew up with his grandmother. But he has a softer side and we will need to show that he has a heart too. So stay tuned for the development of Albie's character, if he will continue to come between Clark and Leah. Will he continue to pursue Leah or what? Stay tuned for that."

- Stay tuned for Clark's old-fashioned courtship, how he will try to win Mang Sol's heart, and also how to get the tenement community to accept him. Clark will experience how courtship is in the old Filipino tradition of panunuyo. (Panunuyo is really old. I don't think it was even practiced in my parents' generation, when they were courting. It's basically the gentleman paying service to the lady's family to prove his worth as a life partner.)

Note

I left out all the other parts of the interview as they are contextual to other shows/actors and keeping this on topic.

Re: Ep 44 

I think Tatang Sol's narration explains a lot why Leah is the way she is: the value she puts in a promise, apart from her utang na loob to Tita Jack. I recall that when Clark saw her packing, that's what she said, that she's doing the right thing because she and Clark have already broken two promises. More than anything, I feel that it's the values that her father has instilled in her that is the source of her conflict. Nanang's narration and her story actually also parallels Leah's: entering a contract marriage for the benefit of a family member in need. The one major difference is that Leah's husband is a good man.

It's a little sad seeing Tita Jack and Clark have this big wedge between them.  For all that I'm annoyed at Tita Jack, I also understand where she's coming from. She has said she's only loved two men in her life: Jigs and Clark. It must hurt to be there in between them, choosing one's happiness over the other, however misplaced Jigs' is. It was anger-inducing, the way she reacted when Clark told her everything, but looking at it from this distance, I also had an epiphany and finally understood the "But I trusted you" rebuttal towards Clark. 

But most of all, I'm really happy that Clark going back to the Philippines is treated realistically. I mean, it's romantic and all to push for his love and get on the next flight, but he does have responsibilities. The break Diana gives him has already been building up, and all his hard work is coming to fruition. I guess we just trust that good things do happen to good people.

We don't get the high emotions in this episode, after a successive serving of build-up and tension, and at least, to me, it's all right. I just have this lonely feeling throughout the episode. It feels like I'm lonely along with Clark and Leah when they're not together. And that, to me as a viewer, is a very good feeling. 

More rave reviews coming in for "On the Wings of Love" 

From the Philippine Daily Inquirer http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/209058/a-teleserye-thats-not-just-soap

From the PhilStar http://www.philstar.com:8080/young-star/2015/10/09/1508533/serye-serious

Edited by hazelnutthursdays
More content
  • Like 4

Hello @KDIK and of course, this goes out to the rest of our non-Filipino-speaking friends here.

I don't have enough time to translate the entire article, but I can go with transcripts and summaries of the paragraphs (translating only OTWOL related stuff). From this interview http://www.pep.ph/guide/tv/20872/otwol-director-bata-kasi-ang-kathniel-samantalang-sina-james-reid-at-nadine-lustre-kasi-puwedeng-maghalikan-na

Basically an interview with Director Jojo Saguin, who shares directing credits with Antoinette Jadaone. He believes the secret is in the story (of OTWOL). 

He said, "I think, aside from the giddy feelings that James and Nadine give fans, I can say it's really the story. Because the story of the OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker) made a mark in people. The way they work hard in another country just to give a good life to their families; they sacrifice everything just so they could send back whatever to their families."

"Like you saw that there was an issue about the balikbayan box (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/balikbayan-box?q=balikbayan+box - recently had a controversy with Philippines' Customs Offices) and Cherry Pie (who plays Tita Jack) about being an OFW, that Leah has the heart of an OFW."

"And it's imperative in every episode, we have to have at least two scenes to excite fans." ("Excite" is mild - the word he used is kilig - there's no direct translation, but it's the giddy-happy-butterflies-in-the-stomach-excited-tingly feeling we get when we fall in love.)

Direk Jojo admitted that they did not expect that the fan reception to the TV series would be this strong. He said that he knew JaDine [James and Nadine] has a fan base, "but it's also different...because it's not just the youth who patronize it. Even mature audiences, like teachers, they appreciate the show."

- OTWOL was conceptualized just for JaDine, which is their first full-length series for the network

- Direk Jojo thinks it wouldn't have been as warmly received if JaDine weren't playing the lead characters. According to him, they have a different vibe, and that they are of age to kiss (I suppose he means to kiss properly onscreen. The Philippines is still relatively conservative about underage kissing and such.) 

- On Albie and Jigs - They tease Albie that he might be in trouble when he goes out because of all the annoyance people have for Jigs coming between Leah and Clark. "But Jigs has a lot of deep-seated hurt. His mother left him, and he grew up with his grandmother. But he has a softer side and we will need to show that he has a heart too. So stay tuned for the development of Albie's character, if he will continue to come between Clark and Leah. Will he continue to pursue Leah or what? Stay tuned for that."

- Stay tuned for Clark's old-fashioned courtship, how he will try to win Mang Sol's heart, and also how to get the tenement community to accept him. Clark will experience how courtship is in the old Filipino tradition of panunuyo. (Panunuyo is really old. I don't think it was even practiced in my parents' generation, when they were courting. It's basically the gentleman paying service to the lady's family to prove his worth as a life partner.)

thank you for the translation :)

Another thing that makes this drama successful is their 'down-to-earth' storyline. it reaches every single heart of people everywhere. Between two young-simple-ordinary couple who falls in love with each other by time. there's no RICH-POOR couple, something that commonly happen in drama land. Their ordinary family, the interaction between people around them.. their environment.. something that easy to understand, easy to feel and easy to see. it happens around us. since im living in a country which is almost having the same culture with filipino, it easily gets my heart. the social relationship, how people are still conservative even some are more openly right now.. but the value is still there and described well in this OTWOL story.

the problem in this drama also so down-to-earth.. not like in many dramas, haha.. something that fresh and acceptable.. no perfect rich guy with good career, handsome face and many women around him, haha.. or girl is poor but has a new edition of Samsung/Iphone haha.. kidding, but seriously.. i really like everything in this story,. except the 'extras' in this drama.. some people are the ones in hotel, in the street and even in airport, haha.. but overall, otwol is really good, worth watching and healthy for my eyes --- james is getting hawt and hawt.. ah.. noona cant handle this feeling :P

as always, thanks everyone for sharing the pics and videos and opinions, really really really like it :D

Edited by SuperNastar
  • Like 3

I'm happy that Clark's meeting with Leah mother made him rethink about his stands on his own father...holding a grudge makes only heavier for Clark

He came finally :)....can't wait for next week eps...i loved them hugged in front of her mad father :wub:

• Like 3

Guest AlexMao

While I'm happy that we'll get to see Leah & Clark meeting next week I'm disappointed as I was hoping they'd actually meet today rather than have the writers/director leave us hanging until Monday. 

I see Tolayts is still in the dog house. My question is when is Tiffany going to throw him a bone or invite him back in. No chance Tolayts will turn on Clark in order to salvage his go-stop relationship with Tiffany, right?

Positive note: We get to see Jigs works and see a tiny fraction of the crap that his mother has had to endure to give him a better life back home. If anything I want the writers to drag this out until he learns a real lesson about life.

@bewitch05_stv & @hazelnutthursdays  - Thanks for translating the article. If the show has been extended til January, I'm curious to know when they originally planned to end it. I'm secretly hoping that we get a white Christmas for CLeah but I don't think that will happen. I'm going to make the assumption that the rest of the show will be in the Philippines. Only thing left in the States is the Mum, but I don't think they'll deal with her until a bit later in the story.

It was awkward though when Lola & Jenny brought up Leah to Clark. If only they knew what went down lol. I really liked this episode, it was all about family & it's so nice seeing Clark with his siblings, his such an awesome brother (his like Tiffany). A special shout out to Bianca aka Tiffany, whenever she cries I can't help but cry along as well.

So is Hanap Hanap officially a part of the OTWOL playlist ? lol. I love the fact that they're using one of their songs :

- I wonder how long Clark can last before he makes his appearance in front of Leah lol.

BTS pics/ Spoilers:

Guest bewitch05

@bewitch05_stv & @hazelnutthursdays  - Thanks for translating the article. If the show has been extended til January, I'm curious to know when they originally planned to end it. I'm secretly hoping that we get a white Christmas for CLeah but I don't think that will happen. I'm going to make the assumption that the rest of the show will be in the Philippines. Only thing left in the States is the Mum, but I don't think they'll deal with her until a bit later in the story.

It was awkward though when Lola & Jenny brought up Leah to Clark. If only they knew what went down lol. I really liked this episode, it was all about family & it's so nice seeing Clark with his siblings, his such an awesome brother (his like Tiffany). A special shout out to Bianca aka Tiffany, whenever she cries I can't help but cry along as well.

So is Hanap Hanap officially a part of the OTWOL playlist ? lol. I love the fact that they're using one of their songs :

- I wonder how long Clark can last before he makes his appearance in front of Leah lol.

BTS pics/ Spoilers:

Hidden Content

Nice seeing Leah is wearing the ring again. I AM  soooooo loooking forward for next week. Kilig version 2.0 Oh by the way I was so shock seeing Clark like that, seeing him fallowing  her without any chance of approaching her. So much kilig overload! Next week, I can't hardly wait

Hi guys! Not much to discuss from Friday episode, I mean I love seeing Jigs learning a valuable lesson, and I hope the writer will drag it longer so that he will change into a good person. Actually I want it to last longer until Clark win over Mang Sol's heart and approval. 

But seeing next week's teaser was kind of relief, I guess we are getting what we are waiting for. The only thing is we hope Leah told his dad that he married Clark out of love, not for the green card issue. Giddy here!!!!!!

I was hoping that Tiffany and tolayts would make up, i mean I love this couple no matter what. :wub:;):D

While I'm happy that we'll get to see Leah & Clark meeting next week I'm disappointed as I was hoping they'd actually meet today rather than have the writers/director leave us hanging until Monday. 

I see Tolayts is still in the dog house. My question is when is Tiffany going to throw him a bone or invite him back in. No chance Tolayts will turn on Clark in order to salvage his go-stop relationship with Tiffany, right?

Positive note: We get to see Jigs works and see a tiny fraction of the crap that his mother has had to endure to give him a better life back home. If anything I want the writers to drag this out until he learns a real lesson about life.

Let's hope for more of that :) 

I'm happy that Clark's meeting with Leah mother made him rethink about his stands on his own father...holding a grudge makes only heavier for Clark

He came finally :)....can't wait for next week eps...i loved them hugged in front of her mad father :wub:

I am happy for Clark too! You know seeing him change too from a boy hoping and crying from his past to becoming a worthy man that can let go and move on. Can't wait for next week too :) Oh! The hugging is just a quick taste of giddy, the real deal is the room scene, you know i hope they kiss :wub:

thank you for the translation :)

Another thing that makes this drama successful is their 'down-to-earth' storyline. it reaches every single heart of people everywhere. Between two young-simple-ordinary couple who falls in love with each other by time. there's no RICH-POOR couple, something that commonly happen in drama land. Their ordinary family, the interaction between people around them.. their environment.. something that easy to understand, easy to feel and easy to see. it happens around us. since im living in a country which is almost having the same culture with filipino, it easily gets my heart. the social relationship, how people are still conservative even some are more openly right now.. but the value is still there and described well in this OTWOL story.

the problem in this drama also so down-to-earth.. not like in many dramas, haha.. something that fresh and acceptable.. no perfect rich guy with good career, handsome face and many women around him, haha.. or girl is poor but has a new edition of Samsung/Iphone haha.. kidding, but seriously.. i really like everything in this story,. except the 'extras' in this drama.. some people are the ones in hotel, in the street and even in airport, haha.. but overall, otwol is really good, worth watching and healthy for my eyes --- james is getting hawt and hawt.. ah.. noona cant handle this feeling :P

as always, thanks everyone for sharing the pics and videos and opinions, really really really like it :D

Not too much to add! I just love this part :) 

Guest bewitch05

@KDIK Yes the Hanap Hanap is an official song of the OTWOL, it was one confirm songs on the track. So glad to see that they are using there own songs. Oh by the way, there are more songs (JaDine sang) that will be part  of the OTWOL fever :) 

so happy to find OTWOL here in soompi cause its a philippine drama.  first time to watch and follow a non-korean drama and i'm loving it.  the lead stars and the whole cast are so good.   and james reid being the total package - very good looking and can really act, sing and dance.  love him plus his chemistry with nadine -wow.

just hoping its rating will go up more.  its in the 20s right now but it should go higher than that cause this drama is really good and addicting.

• Like 1

One or two esp probably ;)...they won't meet like it might seem at the end of last ep so he'll start to track her down on monday, at the end of monday or even tuesday he'll be discovered in the neighborhood ...tuesday more like..,he'll see her again on the end of next ep

Edited by zagigirl
  • Like 2

Nadine had a solo fan meeting over the weekend and she was doing press interviews etc, she revealed that the show has been extended til February !! I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that lol. On one hand it's the biggest indicator that the show is being well received but on the other hand I'm so scared that the quality will go down as it continues its run. I really hope it doesn't, because the show is just absolutely precious and I'd hate for it to go from awesome to meh. 

OT: I brought up the song Tadhana before and guess who sang it (I want a proper cover though, so badly !! lol) -

This is happening today - (Albie aka Jigs will also be there too):

Also James & Nadine were spotted recording a song, don't know if it's for the show or for something else but either way it's definitely something to look forward to ( I see you Yumi !!)

Another write-up from a blog about the show : http://www.bombastarr.com/2015/10/up-and-above-clouds-on-embracing-inner.html?m=1

Edited by KDIK

Guest lalalala823

I just watched last Friday's episode and asdfghjklkjgfhgkdjhfakj!!!! OMG at that preview :wub::wub:  I cannot contain my feeeeeelings <3333 So excited for later!!

This will be soooooo us in the next few eoisodes

tumblr_ntfz60GU5P1qj7wgmo1_500.jpg

@KDIK and @lalalala823 That's a bit scary.  As much as I would want the series to be on air forever, there's a possibility that its quality will be compromised.  And that's a big no-no as this show is exceptional.  I have high hopes that the production team is clever enough to stick to its original story line.  I dread the day that we will all just get too sick to watch the show, that would be so painful on my part as an avid viewer.

• Like 1

@KDIK

1. I agree with @zagigirl and @mashedtomato. If they extended it too long, the quality of the story might be compromised and we all don't want that. It might be another Be Careful With My Heart. And I stopped watching that because they story is not as fun as it was before.

2. It is a good sign though. That the show is being well received and in-demand. They're all getting the recognition they all deserve.

3. I can't wait to watch Mang Sol welcome Clark to hell. Hahaha!!!

• Like 5

Guest AlexMao

Let me start off by saying while I enjoy the show as it is, and for the moment, is it typical for a Filipino daily to run into the 130s? If it's true that the show will be extended into February and if my math is right that's another 95 episodes. That's a stretch for even Korean shows and if any of you have watched Korean dailies you know darn well they can drag out those shows to the point you can go weeks/months without watching and come back with little/no progress in the overall story they're trying to tell. 

Where are right now fills like a nice half-way point in the story so I can't see anything good coming from such a long and drawn out story.

Just from my own perspective we can spend some time on:

1. Leah & Clark's "official" courtship (about 30 second we've already seen it and know how they feel) :D
  2. Mang Sol's adventure through Hell (one to two weeks max) :sweatingbullets:
  3. Clark's hobby-to-woodworking-stardom (a month)
  4. Tiffany & Tolayts's misadventures (every day ... okay ... every other day, happy) ;)
  5. Leah's coming to terms with her mother and the mess all of this will cause for well everyone (I can see this one taking weeks) 
  6. Leah and Clark going back to America (though I'm doubting this one at the moment)
  7. Jigs stuff if we must (ugh ...) :vicx:

For now I'm on the fence about the extension but I'll wait it out and see how OTWOL in the Philippines unfolds. I read a tweet by someone on twitter who stated that it's likened to the second season of a show and the next weeks or so is setting up what will be happening in this portion of the story.

Here's the press conference they had earlier today (I honestly have no clue what was being said lol BUT do check out the end, we get a longer version of Clark being drunk in Leah's room)

Tonight's screen-caps from Dreamscape #OTWOLfromADistance -