I like this drama and I'm glad that my time-slot of Mon/Tues has been filled after the end of 'High Society'.  However, I have to agree with others that the incompetent police fail to prevent more murders/killings after they identified the culprit was quite disappointing.  Also, it seems to be a norm that the senior police officer(s) depicted in the K dramas are corrupted.

I've got some questions - is the police rank of Kim Min Jong higher or lower than Kim Hee Ae's?  Are they working in the same police station but different team?  I am a bit lost.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ororomunroe

[Spoilers] Mrs Cop

fsjdkf.jpg

Xports News - Naver: 'Mrs. Cop' Kim Hee Ae arrests serial killer Lee Jae Gyun 

1. [+377, -9] A drama that shows how stupid the police can be. There's 10 of them but they can't catch that one culprit.

2. [+320, -8] There's literally so many of them and they're incapable of catching that killer ....

3. [+172, -36] Kim Hee Ae is cool

4. [+153, -43] 'Mrs. Cop' is enjoyable

Naver

5. [+2,508, -43] So many wtf scenes

6. [+2,413, -223] Kim Hee Ae's such a good actress.. Didn't notice the time pass by

7. [+407, -7] It felt like my insides were about to burst when the killer found out that the kid died and told Kim Hee Ae that he didn't take him to the hospital soon enough

8. [+398, -14] It's my first time seeing that actor who plays the killer. He's really good

9. [303, -8] Nonsense. You bring a child with you when you know you're about to meet a killer ㅋㅋ

10. [166, -5] A birth of another cancer drama

Cr: kkuljaem

I just watched 1&2 eps, do fast forward button several times. I don't know, somehow the story is too much far from reality. The scene I like is when Shin So Yul appear... Her Sisterhood-Aunty feel is fun to watch. Hopefully next time the story can grab the reality. 

Guest ororomunroe
DRAMA RECAPS
Mrs. Cop: Episode 1
by LollyPip | August 6, 2015 | 6 Comments

MrsCop1-00037a.jpg

Mrs. Cop comes out of the gate hard and fast, with great, relatable characters and a compelling conflict for the heroine to tackle: What’s more important, your career or your family? You’d think it’s an easy decision, except when your career involves protecting the families of your fellow man. It’s hard to prioritize a dance recital when lives are literally on the line, and Young-jin struggles to make the right choice. I have a feeling her struggle will be quite the amazing journey.

Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/08/mrs-cop-episode-1/

Wow, the female lead is crazy! I love it so much. I love a crazy woman cop, especially one looks as beautiful as Kim Hee Ae. I think the way she approaches the violent crime investigation is pretty much the way I would do it too; it is a good thing I am not a cop. I will follow this series on this thread and I know I will love it. I am a big fan of Kim Hee Ae in Secret Love Affair but I am glad she is more vocal in this new drama (and I mean vocal too). Captain Choi, fighting!

Wow, the female lead is crazy! I love it so much. I love a crazy woman cop, especially one looks as beautiful as Kim Hee Ae. I think the way she approaches the violent crime investigation is pretty much the way I would do it too; it is a good thing I am not a cop. I will follow this series on this thread and I know I will love it. I am a big fan of Kim Hee Ae in Secret Love Affair but I am glad she is more vocal in this new drama (and I mean vocal too). Captain Choi, fighting!

@docster6,  It is fun watching a female cop works off her own thoughts and will shoot  criminal without a thought and care in the world for the bureaucratic BS,,  But she's going to have to tone that temp down I'm more concerned about how she's going to fill her role as a mother to her daughter she's have to find some common ground between the two that will help her child grown up not to become a criminal herself being a underground gang leader.. It don't take much for a child like hers to get suck upbny the streets..     

TOP 10 Rating (Mon-Tue) 2015: Highest | Average

1. Punch (in 2015) 14.8% | 11.7%
2. Shine or Go Crazy 14.3% | 11.3%
3. Heard It Through the Grapevine 12.8% | 10.3%
4. Hwajung 11.8% (Airing)
5. Healer (in 2015) 10.3%  | 9.0%
6. High Society 10.1% | 9.1%
7. Pride and Prejudice (in 2015)  9.7% | 8.6%
8. Mrs.Cop 9.4% (Airing)
9. Who Are You - Schol 2015 8.2% | 6.3%
10. Blood 6.0% | 4.7%

I have to ask isn't this the same boy the father ask the chief to help cover his first incident and told him he should have killed the girl to keep it quiet now 2 years later he has done just what his dad told him to do.. Now she back in charge of special investigation..  Now I think her and that by will be investigating cases but they will be really investigating police corruption especially that man sitting in jail for rape and murder when he isn't one and also did his son die..?  That chief needs to be kick off the force with nothing he got all his when he was covering the cases for the criminal better yet lock him in prison for rape and murder and see how it feels to be framed for something you didn't do.. 

August 11, 2015

As audiences age, so do small-screen stars

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

11021844.jpg

From the top, Song Yun-ah, Kim Hee-ae and Choi Ji-woo play unorthodox characters in their latest TV dramas. [JoongAng Ilbo]

Female characters in TV dramas these days are diverging from the typical formula.

Small screens used to be filled with girls in their 20s or 30s struggling with romantic issues, but these types are not the mainstream anymore.

Instead, the age range has gotten a little older, and their major concerns don’t revolve around men or love anymore but have more to do with their careers. 

For example, the new SBS drama “Mrs. Cop,” which started airing last week, features actress Kim Hee-ae as a detective. 

The 48-year-old actress has many times graced the screen, starring in roles such as an older woman who falls passionately in love with a young man in JTBC’s 2014 drama “Secret,” or a secret mistress in the 2007 SBS drama “My Husband’s Woman.”

However, this is her first time taking on a character as physically tough as this one. 

“It is not easy to come across a character who is as active as this one in your 40s,” said Kim during a press conference for the drama. “I thought this was my last chance.”

Kim’s character, Choi Young-jin, is a single mom who has to go out in the field and raise a kindergartner at the same time. It shows her many struggles of having to manage both jobs at once.

Another representative case is the character played by Song Yun-ah, who appears as a competent politician in the KBS Wednesday-Thursday drama “Assembly.”

The 42-year-old actress, who has also more often been seen in romance and family dramas, plays the part of a career woman who is more experienced at politics than any of her male colleagues. 

One major factor behind this phenomenon is that viewers of dramas on terrestrial channels are mostly middle-aged people. 

“Unlike cable channel dramas, which have very fragmented audiences, terrestrial channels focus more on middle-aged viewers, which is why the protagonists’ age is tending higher these days,” said pop culture critic Jeon Deok-hyun. 

“While the plot line mostly revolved around romance, that has now changed, too, to show distinctive characteristics of different professions,” he added, going on to explain that the thematic change is one of the public broadcasters’ strategies to diversify their viewership.

That strategy has been working for “Mrs. Cop,” which kicked off with stable 8.4 percent and 9.4 percent viewership ratings for the first and second episode, according to Nielsen Korea. 

“Viewers in their 40s liked watching actresses their age deal with romantic issues. But now they have dipped their toes into active and down-to-earth issues, which can gain more sympathy from ordinary people,” said culture critic Gong Hee-jeong. 

Meanwhile, a different attempt is being put forth by cable channel tvN’s drama “Twenty Again.” Instead of specifically aiming at younger viewers, it is reaching out to older ones. The program shows actress Choi Ji-woo at the forefront as a 38-year-old college freshman, who challenges herself to study again after spending most of her 20s as a young mother. 

“Just like the hit office drama ‘Misaeng,’ which was supposed to solely appeal to people in their 30s but gained support from all age ranges, this drama, which revolves around events that happen at a university campus, is also meant to be an easy-to-approach drama among 40-something viewers as well,” said Lee Min-jin, the producer of the drama. 

The first episode of “Twenty Again” is scheduled to air on Aug. 28. 

BY LEE HOO-NAM [jin.eunsoo@joongang.co.kr]

Episode 2 thoughts on my blog

I think I'm calling it quits. I was eagerly anticipating this show, hoping that it would be a mixture of Strawberry Night and Kinkyu Torishirabe Shitsu, but the second episode was worse than the first. The cops seem really incompetent here and I don't understand how more than 10 cops failed to surround and catch one criminal. In this episode, they all got beat up too before the criminal escaped. That's just sad. 

The president and his son seem out of place on the show as well. I don't know what their purpose is or why we had to watch the dad beat his son up. 

Actually, episode 3 was an improvement over episodes 1 and 2.  For those who planned to stop after episode 2, give episode 3 a shot.  You may still decide to call it quits.  I was on the verge of calling it quits myself, but I decided to give episodes 3 and 4 a try.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to wait and see the other two characters - Son Ho Jun and Lee Da Hee - and how they fit into the series.

There's still a chance the show will be a dud, but I feel better about its prospects now compared to before.

August 12, 2015

Veteran actresses experiment with characters

By Kwon Ji-youn The Korea Times     

16-01(546).jpg

Actress Kim Hee-ae in a scene from the SBS drama "Mrs. Cop" / Courtesy of SBS    

16-02(482).jpg

Actress Kim Tae-hee in a scene from the SBS drama "Yong-pal" / Courtesy of SBS

Actresses in their 30s and 40s are dominating the small screen and turning heads with new acting challenges.

Kim Hee-ae, Kim Tae-hee and Song Yun-ah have made television comebacks in suspenseful dramas rather than the romantic ones where they found fame. The characters they are portraying are not the usual stereotypes either.

Kim Hee-ae, 48, has gone from portraying a romantic pianist in "Secret Love Affair" to playing a cop. In SBS's new drama "Mrs. Cop," Kim is a veteran police officer and working mom, a change from the elegant roles viewers are used to seeing her in. Kim is experimenting with the character she plays and has mastered action scenes. Her portrayal of a distressed working mom, who often finds herself torn between her child and her job, is also very convincing. "Mrs. Cop" airs Monday and Tuesday nights.

Kim Tae-hee, 35, meanwhile is moving from playing a secret service agent in the suspenseful "Iris" to playing a chaebol heiress. In SBS's "Yong-pal," Kim takes the role of a major conglomerate's successor who is seeking revenge when she wakes up from a medically-induced coma, having fallen victim to a scheme by her power-hungry half brother.

Kim's performances have always been the subject of controversy. Viewers have consistently called into question her acting ability, especially with her awkward portrayal of Jang Ok-jeong, a royal concubine of the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910), in SBS's "Jang Ok-jeong, Living by Love." It remains to be seen whether Kim will redeem herself in "Yong-pal," which began airing on Aug. 5.

Song, 42, who returned to the small screen with MBC drama "Mama" last year after a six-year hiatus, is back as a publicist in the new KBS drama "Assembly." Her character, a former presidential aide, is charismatic, abrasive and perspicacious, an adjustment from the terminally-ill cancer patient and single mother she played in "Mama."

Ha Ji-won, who is now nearing the end of the weekend series on SBS "The Time We Were Not in Love," depicts a 34-year-old single career-woman. When the series ends, actress Kim Hyun-joo will take over with "I Have a Lover," in which she has a double role _ a versatile corporate lawyer and her twin sister, an accountant. "I Have a Lover," to begin airing Aug. 22, will tell the story of a woman who suffers memory loss and falls back in love with her husband, who she had come to loathe.

Choi Ji-woo, 40, will take the part of a 38-year-old college student on tvN's "Twenty Again," to air Aug. 28. Her character has a 20-year-old son, but she returns to college at age 38 to prove to her son and husband that she is more than just someone's wife and mother. This marks a shift from her typical roles, and playing a mother when Choi is not yet married could prove a challenge.

Such experimentation has become possible with dramas that are no longer obsessed with fragile and feminine characters, according to a staffer at SBS.

"The themes of Korean dramas have largely diversified, so producers are looking to cast actors who have a wide acting range," he said. "For dramas like ‘Yong-pal' and ‘Mrs. Cop,' the producers wanted veteran actresses who can pull off such strong characters." 

jykwon@koreatimes.co.kr,

Archived